• 1,091 replies
    heatherlew
    Default Avatar
    Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Dennis

stumbled across these guys the other night at work. Downloaded several show. Nice covers. A little "son of a preacher man",,, maybe a little "use me".

I like them, bored, check them out. I've been listing to the PST shows (4/14/15)

• mbarilla

Dead . Net any chance of a restock in that Grateful Dead winter hat , blue and red with the stealie that was featured in the Almanac ? Damn It !! lol I was eyeing that up for months and now I see it's sold out or pulled from store. F%CKKKK , any help digging through the warehouse ?

Anyone on here have a hookup on that hat ?

• MDJim

Amen Jeff..
    Not one to admit to defeat, but the TicketShyster process and pricing left such a bad taste in my mouth the last few years I am not planning to attend any D&C shows this year. Screw em..

Comparing the ticketing process to bending over and grabbing your ankles.. priceless - gave me a my first chuckle of the day. Thanks for that.

• wilfredtjones

Thanks again!

• JeffSmith

Probably not surprising to anyone who's grabbed their ankles while grabbing tix to D&Co 2019. The following were recently published by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation:

"A PUBLIC RELATIONS NIGHTMARE': TICKETMASTER RECRUITS PROS FOR SECRET SCALPER PROGRAM"
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/a-public-relations-nightmare-ticketmas…

" 'I'M GETTING RIPPED OFF': A LOOK INSIDE TICKETMASTER'S PRICE-HIKING BAG OF TRICKS"
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ticketmaster-prices-scalpers-bruno-mar…
    Key findings:
    - Ticketmaster doesn't list every seat when a sale begins.
    - Hikes prices mid-sale.
    - Collects fees twice on tickets scalped on its site.

Bummer? Yes.
    Surprising? No.
    Miss Mail-order? Yes.
    MISS JERRY? Always.

• MDJim

My copy is good.. check your PM.

Gin.. the mention of the word reminds of the song Cold Gin, one of better early kiss songs. There is a big rise in small, craft distilleries here in the US too.. a friend had this small batch Gin, heavy in Rosemary I think.. that tasted quite nice.. but the aromatics were very strong. At least when I finished my breath was minty fresh. Last winter someone brought many, many bottles from some other small distiller to this backcountry ski area nearby.. they had these small glasses glued to the top of an old pair of skis and five or six people would have to drink at the same time.. (I don't recommend this).. but they were filled with some pretty high end tasty stuff.. and a few good gins, rye, etc. It made for quite the celebration, what we were celebrating??, I am not sure anyone can be sure but celebrated we did. I can't say I am a gin guy.. but the quality and flavor seemed a step up from what I am used to.

Last five.. mmm...

Dead & Company 1/17/19
    Something with Bob Weir and I think the Nationals?? (it's poorly labeled in my collection, but good)
    GD Winterland 4/15/70
    GD Dream Bowl 2/22/69
    GD Portland 5/17/74

• wilfredtjones
    anyone have a non-skipping DP 33 Disc 4 JBG?

Mine skips like you wouldn't believe starting at around 2'45". I even had the disc professionally buffed yesterday and it did not help! Sorry to trouble, but I know this is the right place to ask. Have a grateful day everyone.

• Charlie3

Grateful Dead - Cow Palace 12/31/76
    Steely Dan - Gaucho
    Tea Company - Come and Have Some Tea with the Tea Company
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimanjaro
    Also a bunch of soul singles thrown into the mix as well as Donna Summer's classic single Love to Love You Baby, the extended 16 minute version, 'cause sometimes it just hits the spot.

• Vguy72

https://youtu.be/km5BzQh2Jds
    ....advance apologies. This topic was a no brainer for me. Sometimes the bottle is dusty, but the liquor is clean.
    Last Five....
    Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian
    Phish - Ventura 7.30.97
    Rusted Root - Remember
    GOGD - Dave's 14 AOM 3.26.72
    Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
    ✌️🤘👍💪

• chilly1214

Over the last 2-3 years Gin has made a huge resurgence here in Australia. I've never been much of a Gin guy, but that has changed. Check out Prohibition Gin which is locally made and has become a favourite of mine. https://prohibitionliquor.co

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 5 months

Dave's Picks Volume 28: Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76

This year's Dave's Picks series comes to a close just as the band's getting back together again in '76. By the time the Grateful Dead hit New Jersey’s Capitol Theatre - for the very first time - on 6/17/76, they were buzzing from their reunion, armed with new and revived material, the Rhythm Devils reformed with the mischievous Mickey Hart once again behind the kit. They'd skived off the unwieldy Wall of Sound and scaled back the venues from cavernous arenas to intimate theatres. Quite the treat!

During the first set, the Dead's playing was nuanced ("Cold Rain And Snow"), detailed ("Looks Like Rain"), and intricate ("The Music Never Stopped"); the singing struck softly ("Row Jimmy") and raised hairs ("Ship Of Fools"). But it’s the big barreling energy of the second set you’ll want to brace yourself for, replete with a disco'd "Dancing In The Streets," a low-down funky “Help”>”Slip”>”Franklin's” and a wind 'em up to wind down "Let It Grow">"Wharf Rat">"Around and Around." Can you keep up? There's only one way to find out.

This complete show, balanced out with a couple of bonus tracks from 6/23/76 and 6/28/76, was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 28 is limited to 18,000 individually-numbered copies*.

Grab a copy before they're gone, gone, gone.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Honestly, if you have 6/9/76 from the Road Trip Series...you have 80% of this show already. Seriously, compare the set lists. I was really hoping for 1991 (8/16, 9/26 or 10/31). I guess I can chalk this up to yet another miss. I have yet to get one correct. Cool art work as usual, on a positive note.
user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

So I cound not be more excited about this pick. Before passing final judgement, I will admit that while not generally fond of 78, I loved DaP23. Mr. Jack Straw. Thank you for saving me the time of posting exactly what you just said, with a heavy emphasis on 1970. This was clearly a weak year of releases and we are in my opinion, reaching a saturation point.
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

I'm not a big '76 guy, but this is a very solid show. Yes, '76 shows tend to be mellow, so you know that going in. But this show more than meets the criteria for a Dave's Pick: it's well-recorded (a Betty Board); there are not a bunch of train wrecks in different parts of the show; and the versions of the songs are well played on this night. Part of how much you like this may depend on how much you love Jerry songs vs. how much you love Bobby songs. If you're that guy who posted recently that you consider the legendary Grateful Dead songbook to be just filler between jams (surprised no one jumped all over his shit), then you might not love this show. However, if you want a "Norman-ized" version of a top 20 Help>Slip>Frank, a top 15 standalone Scarlet, and a "flawless" Wharf Rat, you'll be pleased with this choice. Comments from headyversion.com: "The transition from Let It Grow is just brilliant. Jerry won't let go and kicks into it like nobody's business. What follows is Grateful Dead magic. This whole show is an under-the-radar masterpiece." "...a nice Scarlett [sic], full of sweetness and light, lovely lady sounds whispered gently from within the backlighting, plus a dreamy creamy bubble-up-to-the-surface jam that just caresses." "Crazy good show from a crazy good month...great slipknot & they ain't done after franklin's...right into sick stealthy dancin." Those, to me, are the highlights. Anyway, in contrast to the barrage of train wrecks and unbearably long AUD patches in DaP 27, a methodically played, laidback Betty Board with few mistakes - and with Donna in finer form than so many other times - will be most welcome.
user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

...."If you have 6/9/76 from the Road Trip Series...you have 80% of this show already. Seriously, compare the set lists." ITS NOT ABOUT SET LISTS!!! I give up. If you judge a Dead show by the song list, I am so so sorry. Sucks to be you. What would be your perfect setlist? I really want to know. Tell me. I want y'all's perfect show. Show up or sit down. Funny shit out here in Deadland. Not to be pretentious or anything, but I'm at a loss at what some of you want.
user picture

Member for

7 years

I thought DaP 26 was quite good.. 11/17 had not really circulated before it's release. I get the saturated comment.. but the minute I step back it seems something profound presents itself. I recall commenting to a friend when DaP 11 (11/17/72, Wichita) came out shortly after the E72 box was released that we didn't need another 72 release just yet. Like we could have lived without that.. yea right! I don't see myself ever walking away. My enthusiasm might wane a bit from time to time, but.. There's still an appetite and willingness to see what Mr. Norman is serving up for brunch.
user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

The turquoise ameboid is water gushing from a fire hydrant. 'Cause, you know, it's June. Those bones need to stay cool.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

you must really hate the Egypt artwork then!
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

I decided to give Kinfish's first album a spin over the weekend, being as it was released in 1976. I always liked it-although it did seem a bit lightweight when I got it - the same day I bought The Ramones First album back in the summer of 1976. The Ramones hit the spot for me back then far more than Kingfish did, I have to say. By 1977 it seemed every British band had copied The Ramones signature style-and it soon became a drag. But punk was a blast for the first 12 months or so. Until it got co-opted and standardised by the "rock establishment". Like every rock movement before it and probably since. But that Kingfish album was alright. The old live album I have by them "Live N' Kickin'" is better than the studio one-and the King Biscuit double cd I have of the show from April 3rd 1976 is better still. Especially Robbie Hoddinott's guitar playing-great telecaster tones. A nice aperitif, you might say, for this next Pick.
user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I too am a big fan of Kingfish's work with Bobby. The band has a great Americana feel -Hoddenott's guitar work is wonderful, especially on Jump Back. However I recall from a Bobby interview I once read that one of the Kingfish live CD's ("Live 'n Kicking" - not the King Biscuit CD) edited out Bob Weir's contributions for the final remix since he had left the band to rejoined the GD. From Wiki: "With the goal of forging a separate identity for Kingfish, tracks containing Weir's playing and singing were therefore removed from the mix, except where absolutely crucial to continuity or where his guitar or vocals bled onto the drum track." Still a great album. You can still hear Weir all over the place.
user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Last May I actually gave this show a listen to for the first time and it was the Let It Grow > Drums > Wharf Rat that stuck to the ribs afterward. Now with Dave's explanation that the tour was prepped with some rehearsal time, makes sense why it stood out. Along with that, I'm also going to really appreciate having another remastered '76 Help > Slip > Franklin's in my collection. The spacial lysergic approach they took this year for the Slipknot! sections are personal favorites.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Come on Dave...WTF....We already have that HIGH TIME from 6/28/76 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL as it was released as filler for the Download Series Vol. 4. So what gives? If you want to put filler on there, and to my recollection this is the first time any filler has ever been added to a Dave's Picks, why a tune that ALREADY been released? You couldn't add some more from 6/23 considering there is no SDBD available on Archive for that show. Wake Up Dave!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Come on Dave...WTF....We already have that HIGH TIME from 6/28/76 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL as it was released as filler for the Download Series Vol. 4. So what gives? If you want to put filler on there, and to my recollection this is the first time any filler has ever been added to a Dave's Picks, why a tune that ALREADY been released? You couldn't add some more from 6/23 considering there is no SDBD available on Archive for that show. Wake Up Dave!!!!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Wow! BTW, anyone got an FLAC of DP25 Good Lovin' from New Haven they can zip to me some way? Please PM me if you can! Mine has skipped since I don't know when, and a trip to the disc buffer did not clean it up! Must be a deep scratch... As for this pick, count me in for another H>S>F, this ones surely going to be tighter than 9-24 (double time Slipknot! anyone?) and Boise. I wonder if it will fade in like the version we got on 30 Days in 2012. I'm always looking for another Phil-laden version of Dancing in the Street. I love his bass line on the disco version of that tune! DaP 29 and 30? Anyone's guess, I of course have mine. But, all good things in all good time, right? Lastly, we're all counting the days until November, when hopefully we will be treated to another 30 Days of Dead! This next many weeks is going to be dead head heaven! Thanks Dead.net!
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

According to Spotify the High Time on DL Series Vol 4 is from Philly Tower Theatre on 6/21/76, whereas the one on this release is from Chicago, Auditorium Theatre on 6/28.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

That Spotify info is wrong. No High Time was play at the Tower Theatre on 6/21/76. Download Series Vol.4 contains the following filler: (Per Nugs.net & Wikipedia) Disc three (bonus tracks) "Scarlet Begonias" (6/21/76 Tower Theatre, Philadelphia, PA) - 10:59 "Lazy Lightnin' " > (6/21/76 Tower Theatre, Philadelphia, PA) - 2:48 "Supplication" (6/21/76 Tower Theatre, Philadelphia, PA) - 5:18 "Candyman" (6/21/76 Tower Theatre, Philadelphia, PA) - 7:03 "Playing In the Band" > (6/22/76 Tower Theatre, Philadelphia, PA) - 23:25 "Drums" > (6/22/76 Tower Theatre, Philadelphia, PA) - 2:30 "The Wheel" > (6/22/76 Tower Theatre, Philadelphia, PA) - 4:59 "Playing In the Band" (6/22/76 Tower Theatre, Philadelphia, PA) - 3:21 "High Time" (6/28/76 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago, IL) - 9:27 So again I must ask, Why Dave? It would have also been sweet to have some filler added to Disc 4 from the Pacific Northwest box set. Some more of 3/23/74 or 6/16/74 would have been a serious treat.
user picture

Member for

10 years 4 months

Brent ruined the ‘80s for me. His songs and vocals were better suited for pick-up or cheap beer commercials, and I can’t stand his cheesy keyboard sounds. It’s a shame Jerry got into MIDI technology as well.
user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

According to the metadata, the High Time that concludes Download Series 4 on my itunes is from 6/28/76 Auditorium Theatre, Chicago (also shown as 6/28 on wikipedia). The Download version is 9:27 mins vs 9:17 for Dave's 28. Confusing. But then, I didn't even spot the fire hydrant on this Dave's cover. . .
user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

Yeah the midi thing needs a very light hand, some nights it was excessive or obtrusive, others tasteful and playful. Oh well, if they had more time who knows what might have eventually happened with it all. One of the dead releases or an article somewhere with Branford Marsalis made similar to comments to the poster below. Can't remember the exact wording but Branford basically said he felt it diluted or obfuscated Jerry's dynamics and touch in playing which Branford said was immensely impactful to him as a fellow musician and listener. Gave the impression that he felt it took something away from his natural magic. My subscription date for last year says 10/24. Sssshhh... stop telling people to subscribe,the pools getting mighty packed and I'm not ready to sit on a towel... :) Cant wait for another year.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

...of all my complaints about releases recently and this past year: Now, there is only one small thing that may eek a squeak of mild protest out of me for 2019: If they don't release the 1969 Ark shows for the 2019 box set offering for the 50th anniversary commemoration! Give it the full monty box set collector edition design treatment too! Crossing the fingers. I think it's a popular request around here though....
user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I wish we got a different track than the already released High Time as well. I'm a big proponent of filler on these releases. This is not the first instance of filler in the Dave's Series: DaP 3 included 10/21/71 material on disc 3, DaP 11 features 11/15/72 material including a 30 min Playing, DaP 12 features 11/2/77 filler, adding to the DP 34 filler, DaP 18 features a lot of 7/16/76, DaP 22 features a lot of 12/6/71, and this year's DaP 26 featured a disc of 12/14/71. The haphazard use of filler is frustrating because you have releases like DaP 7 where there's a 31 minute second disc, and 7/8/78 is an even more egregious waste of space with only 22 min used on disc 3 (couldn't take some songs from the August Red Rocks run for a comparison of differences in playing in just a month's time?). Dave's rationale of using incomplete shows as a source to draw from is more irritating when recycling something already put out as with this High Time, but also in the face of discs that are 20-30 min and there existing an abundance of incomplete shows to draw from. I know it's a trite first world complaint, but that doesn't invalidate the argument that the inconsistent application of filler makes no sense. Hell, the same guy in charge of the Dick's Picks put 5 songs of filler on a 6 cd, 2 concert release with DP 29. Tell me how THAT squares with a 31 min disc... All that quibbling aside, I listened to more of this Pick via the wonderful Hunter Seamons Matrix, and made my way back through DaP 18 and most of the bonus disc, and am stoked for this release. Also, holding out hope for some primal Dead to be announced as DaP 29 or 30. The last Dark Star in this Series was DaP 19, which is hard to believe was 10 Picks back. We got the double shot of Other Ones on DaP 26, so a 2/7/69 with 2/6/69 filler sounds perfect to me for DaP 29. Thanks again to Kayakguy and whoever else mentioned that in the leadup to the announcement. Those short shows are full of fire!
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I see a reference to "DL 4" as being a release of 6-18-76, but that doesn't appear correct for either the Dick's or the Dave's series. Did 6-18-76 get released officially? If so, what volume? Edit: Erp, I see it's the Download Series! Doh! Can anyone remind me of the criteria for the DS?
user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

it's that this bunch will never ever ever ever be satisfied en mass. The litany of complaints is just way too diverse - wrong year, wrong tour, wrong week, wrong night, dont like the filler, don't like the artwork, don't like the mix, too few copies, too many copies per sale. It goes on and on. On the one hand its great if the powers that be hear you out and use this as some kind of constructive feedback, but its pretty intense white noise after awhile on here. Until and unless every show is available in every format with custom artwork and mixing for every purchase, someone will be having a sulk about something...
user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

I stand corrected on the High Time filler....appears it is a duplicate, which I agree makes no sense? My only guess is that they were unhappy with how it came out on the DL Series or that it was a complete oversight?? Seems odds, but at the end of the day, I don't really care. The complete show from 06/17 is what's important to me. KCJ
user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

I don't believe that comments such as "WTF Dave?" will influence the gentleman in the vault. DL is working diligently to bring the vault to us, step by step. It is both an artistic and a commercial venture and, therefore, has to be paced. An occasional clunker in anyone's book should not outweigh the greatness that has consistently come our way over time. I suppose the positive upshot -- despite the self-delusional claims that "I'm saturated" -- is that every single release is rabidly anticipated and everyone single one of us has a few shows in mind that we gotta hear before we join Jer and Pigpen on the other side.
user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

The greater the range of opinions expressed on here the more I like it. It was interesting reading all those comments on that recent 1983 Pick before it arrived-so many conflicting reports. In a way, it seems to me, the strength of a community lies in its capacity to absorb differences, not to desire or push for uniformity.
user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

I have always loved the '76 vibe. Very happy with this pick. Hell, I'm happy with all of Dave's picks. We are a very lucky bunch to have all this old music available to us this day and age.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

Well said, daverock, especially this: “In a way, it seems to me, the strength of a community lies in its capacity to absorb differences, not to desire or push for uniformity.“ At the same time, I wonder if there also needs to be some consensus to call it in fact community. Yes, we all love the GD. But comments like, nothing post-75 or -78, are so absurd in my opinion it’s almost laughable. I’d be happy with a release from any year, even (and perhaps especially) 84-86, 91-95. Mainly I think because it’s a fairly gaping hole in the official release history. It’s coming, people, Dave himself said so, there will be more 80s releases and rightfully so. Band had a remarkable 30 year history, it wasn’t a decade (or less!). I don’t think it’s coming for 29, but it is....
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 6 months

Is this a realistic possibility? The shows are fire but there are some wicked cuts in the circulating tapes.
user picture

Member for

12 years 2 months

When it comes to not digging a release in a series, I get the frustration. You paid X and you expect all releases to be quantifiably great in your subjective opinion. I subscribe every year too. We can't run the risk of trying to be ala carte, you'll never make it. But we buy the ticket and take the ride. I have said many times the best part about this band is that they are many bands in one band. All of the different nuances throughout all of their eras all the way to the end, they all appease different parts of our group and of our minds. Just remember, they can't all be zingers just for you. I am just happy that we have all of this great music to enjoy. I don't already own a copy of this show outside of download. Be happy.
user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

Agreed: “...the best part about this band is that they are many bands in one band. All of the different nuances throughout all of their eras all the way to the end, they all appease different parts of our group and of our minds.”
user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

...is not an issue for this particular show. Listening to the very fine Hunter Seamons matrix in anticipation. Very good renditions. Great tempo. Everyone is in the mix. I'm looking forward to the remastered soundboard.
user picture

Member for

7 years

Well put Dave. Add a healthy dollop of respect and you have a thriving community..
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Still need the track 11 file if anyone has it in FLAC. Better excuse than any to pop in the Scarlet>Fire with the cans. Love that one.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks for a link to your thoughts about '76. Nice reading there. 5 stars. Not familiar with this show, but '76 has grown on me over the years, much like '78 has, but for different reasons. A band within a band indeed, wrapped up in a mystery, inside an enigma, answered by a question no one asked.
user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Some serious 76 action, to go along with the discussion here. Sure, October 76 was a different kind of feel, but it still has that easy-going, experimental vibe, and this show is particularly strong :) Set 1 cooks, but if you listen to nothing else, the Set 2 opening combo of Eyes>Music is stellar! Cool combo, and they are really rocking hard. The rest of the show is great too! https://archive.org/details/gd1976-10-15.sbd.miller.84260.sbeok.flac16 Oh, and the 10/15/84 show is a rocker too! DEEP and spacey Playin in set 2. Also, what I believe is the first Bucket>Sugaree opener. My buddy who saw a bunch of shows in the 80s said that combo wore out its welcome, but this one is great, particularly the Sugaree. Good stuff :) https://archive.org/details/gd84-10-15.senn.miller.22022.sbeok.shnf Have a great one, DeadLand! Peace EDIT: The Other One from the 76 show is a PHIL-MONSTER, winding down into a typically gorgeous 76 Comes a Time...
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I'd call the He's Gone from 10-15-76 rather historic, or at least 'dead historic'...thanks for the link! P.S. edit Thanks to fellow patrons of the thread for coming through on the New Haven FLAC request. Dancing in the Street is another favorite from disc 4 Springfield but it's proven to be a polarizing track...
user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Some people have been commenting that we are at the saturation point for good Dead releases. I got it, but I think it has more to do with each individual than anything. Personally, I just got on the bus last year and I have been floored by everything that's come out. Now I definitely don't like the 80s and I've never seen these guys live, but as a music lover I find the dead to be absolutely a one-of-a-kind incredible experience. I think because I have such limited exposure to them everything I hear still sounds fresh and new. Unsaturated. Considering this show has not come out yet, and considering there have only been 3 picks from the 1976 year so far, and considering it's been 10 releases since we've had a 1976 show, I can't find saturated as an apt description of where things stand. The nature of this Beast is that we are going to get a lot of the same years in a short time span. That's the game. Some would argue that there should be more 80s and 90s, but there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that there's anything in the vault that is even close to the quality of Dave's Picks Volume 8 from November 30th 1980. If there were a bunch of shows like that left, there's no doubt we be hearing them. But clearly the 80s are spent. By and large, the Boise show was not well received. It sounds like there may be some late 80s stuff that sounds good still from a tape quality standpoint. Maybe we'll see some of those. But the 90 shows seem to be lacking as a whole, so maybe a road trips type treatment for those shows would be better rather than the complete show. And the audio quality of the early to mid eighties is not good. So it seems to me the path this Series has been down will continue the same, love it or leave it. I'm lucky to have not been around for the tape trading days or even Dick's Picks or road trips. It's all good to me baby!
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

hahahaha. never. too much of everything is just enough, y'all.
user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

sounds mighty fine. it isn't 8/27/72, sure, but it is still GOGD. "lotta people dissing 'bout the 76 sound funny, but it's still Grateful Dead to me" send your unwanted copies my way, naysayers.
user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

to note that we're about to embark on a site update that's been in the works in the background for a while now, and that there will be times in the next few days when you can't log in to our community account. This will soon pass, but we don't want you to be blindsided by it. More details here: http://www.dead.net/forum/transition-new-site-temporary-freeze-communit…
user picture

Member for

7 years

Imagine you were as you are now.. except it's spring 1976, you were sitting in your living room and the GD are not touring. Unless you live in the Bay Area, it's not that easy to see the boys and you have pretty much gotten on with your life and adjusted accordingly. Then you get wind that the Dead were getting back on the road and a buddy scored a few tickets for 6/17/76 at the Capitol and slid one to you. ...wouldn't we all be there in a New York (New Jersey) minute? I guess I must be easy to please as well. I listened to this run last perhaps three or four years ago, but it's not fresh in my memory. I will wait for the Full Norman to arrive on my front porch before I give it another spin.. I have enjoyed both of the recent 76 releases, however.. Cobo Arena and the Orpheum both have their moments (at least to my ears).
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Boy this new system really sucks, who thought this be a good idea. If I want the order in my life to change I'd go to a different supermarket every week.

:-)

ps - just went to archive.org,,, the choices of bands and shows come up, but when I go to a certain show, the songs aren't listed?

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

I don't believe this web page is finished yet. It's functional, but not fully formatted - at least I hope not... feels like a crude web page from the days of AOL dial-up. This page is only navigable via my old "bookmark". If you go into the site, this page isn't up yet.

user picture

Member for

10 years 9 months

double post, but not for the usual double "save" reason. Acting weird - def still under construction.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yes, a few things aren't just exactly perfect yet. If you have intractable difficulties, send me a PM. Thanks!
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

This is going to take some getting used to. It seems cumbersome compared to the familiar "old" version. Hopefully familiarity will bring some clarity.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

These things always take some getting used to, sorta like Jerry and Phil switching sides every now and then, throwing your plans to sit on Jerry's side into disarray... But please persevere!
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-volume-28-1.html