• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • deadheadwalking
    Default Avatar

Still available??? Would be awesome for a gift!!

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• spaulmcmurry
    Default Avatar

Any chance that extra of 29 is still available?

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

Hey all, if you missed this release, I have one available. $25 plus shipping. Send me a PM.

• Lovemygirl

...see you guys later Aligator! 😉
    🙏❤️😎

• nitecat

Yes thanks to all for making this a great thread. Furthur!

• JimInMD

The more things change.. the more they remain the same.
    Be good all, I hope things equalize on the DaP 30 thread.

Seriously, here's to humanity, civility, good karma and doing, and saying, things that help us all.

• Sixtus_

Right on Uncle Sam
    I'd think most may agree, this thread helped get our collective mojo back.
    Whether it was the awesomeness of the 'Schwiiiing' or just that the time was right, the metamorphosis is hard to ignore. I trust it will carry over with the momentum in tow aiming at the prime time rockabilly-fest in 2/3/70.

Peace All
    Sixtus

• unkle sam

Thanks everyone for making this a great forum to be a part of and to read thru, this was a good one. Now, on to 1/2>3/70 #30.

• hbob1995

So we still don't have a track listing for this. Weird.
    The guessing is killing me! Lol

Rock on

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Listening to the first estimated is like watching a child riding a bike for the first time. Classic no matter what happens. Beautiful! !

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

You are funny Icecrmcnkd! Actually, these releases are 20 bit since they are HDCD. Has anyone ever listened to any of these releases on an HDCD player?
I have been toying with the idea of buying one but don't know if it would be worth it for the additional 4 bits of sound?

The August of '81 Long Beach Arena shows are in my annual rotation (which means they are favorites) but along with 12/13-14/1980. Great Drums-Space with Airto Moreira and Flora Purim sitting in for added dimensions.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

My CD player has HDCD but as it is the only player I have, I have nothing for comparison. No two CD players sound the same anyway so any comparison would be fairly meaningless. Just get the best you can.

Dave's 29 should arrive in about a week's time if I'm lucky.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

In reply to by simonrob

Rob , by digitally I presume you mean iTunes U ? If that’s right my original answer stands 😾
P.S. still waiting for my 29 😾 presumably the further the disk has to travel the earlier it’s sent and thus a lower @@@@@/20,000 might I get 🤞

I have an Onkyo 6-disc changer (not HDCD), Onkyo receiver, Onkyo sub-woofer, and Bose 301 speakers that are 5-6 feet in the air.
Sounds awesome, especially Phil right now at 11:00-11:30 of Eyes.
What would the extra 4 bits get me? Hopefully even more Phil, but I’ll never know......

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Check your PM.....

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Hey just curious, what music app do you use in your phone? I use Poweramp. It has some fantastic new audio features that improve the sound tremendously without making it sound different (EQ + stereo / separation enhancement). Great stuff. Only problem I have with it is the new version has a bug in the gapless playback, so China Riders, Scarlet Fires and the such have an ever so slight pause between tracks. Only occurs on mp3s; WAV files are fine.... but WAVs are way too big. I'm hoping they fix it quickly. Yeah, Poweramp.

So for all you WHO freaks out there and I know Icecrmcnkd mentioned Phil's Eyes solo... 2 parts Check out 10:40 to 10:49 and then 11:07 to 11:26...anyone hearing Go To the mirror or something else from TOMMY....In any case its pretty cool.

This Dave's Pick is Warm and Crispy sounding....and that's great in my book!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by RobbZ

I have an emotiva basx 100 that has hdcd encoding. They make an excellent product with a fair price tag. 299.00 usd. You can even split the payments into 12 months using their website. Comes out to be about 29 bucks a month. I did notice a sound improvement, especially on my dead discs, but shit they sound pretty damn good already. To my knowledge emotiva is the only company putting the decoder in there new products, when i started looking around i could only find older model players with hdcd capability.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I hear shades of Philo Stomp leading into the groovy bass line of Dancin'.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

#3696 has arrived! I have long owned the 1st set on cassette, mainly for it's two historic debuts, Estimated Prophet and the opening Terrapin Station. I somehow never sought out the 2nd set tapes nor did I bother to ever give it a listen online. After hearing this show all the way through, I realize now that I was sorely remiss. The two sets are mirror images of shimmering songcraft and exploratory jamming. I think it is the most well-rounded '77 show released to date. It also makes 1977 the most widely-documented year as far as official releases go. From the breathtaking start to the rocking finish, 2/26/77 has it all. It will make a beautiful bookend to the 12/29/77 Dick's Picks release which of course has the Terrapin encore. Thank you Mr. Lemieux and company :))

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I lived in the LA area 1980-82 (finish high school after moving from Wisconsin, a place I do NOT miss), and visited from time to time through the 80s

my memory of SBer is a smog-infested "what the hell is this" place.

here come the GD in 1977 to help us ascend to heaven on Earth. In SBer, of all places.

many thanks to all who helped create this release.

I recommend seeing "They Shall Not Grow Old", Peter Jackson's film re WWI.

Not a happy film, but mind-blowing, none-the-less.

Amazing.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I too use Poweramp. It works. I'm not much of a "equalizer" person. My buddy (who recommended Poweramp) LOVES EQ's. For good or ill, I was told YEARS ago about eq-ing. Man told me you may make sound 'a' sound better, but then you distort sound 'b'. My home system has no eq "box", nor does it have any "tone" control. I have found too that EQ people can spend a whole song "adjusting", only to redo on next song (certainly next album) :-)

Also I only use my phone, sometimes. I have a Cowon mp3 player that is suppose to have a far superior sound. I use memory sticks in a lot of places. In the end, I find everything sounds damn good, I can live with little gaps when they happen.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by deadtony

This is how I was able to hear definitively the the benefits of hdcd. The original vault two was not released with it, but the 3 disc reissue was. The benefits were obvious immediately. Unfortunately my denon carousel died 6 months ago after 14 years of faithful service. They stopped making multi disc hdcd players so I tried used. Beware they're all so old both died in less than a month. My oppo has it but when I just want to listen to a show almost uninterrupted it just ain't the same

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

I don't think the From the Vault series provides an accurate comparison of HDCD versus non, because they were remastered for the re-release, and sound better anyway. I don't have a HDCD player, but I can hear audio improvements when comparing the original to the re-release.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Trainwrecked

From The Vault Box was remastered?

Just ordered it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

'Tis not so bad if you like beer, cheese, snowsports in the winter and don't mind a little hot, ticks and skeeters in the summer. I like it here (and I just spent an hour and a half moving snow).

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 11 months

Being I whined and wailed so much about what a sonic mess volume 27 was I felt I owed a thank you to Dave for pumping out two good ones in a row now, especially volume 29. Not only a great and historic show, but sonically it's very good. Well Done Dave and his team.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Arrived last weekend. Just finished second time through. Sounds like some noticeable bass enhancement on the filler material. The bass on the Dew is pretty thick and chunky. Love it.

Subscribing is always the way to go with these. Onboard every year since they started offering subscriptions back on that last year of Road Trips. 2020 will see the Dave's picks series reach the same milestone as Dicks picks with 36 releases. Hope this goes well beyond the 50s and even into the 100s. Might take another 17 years to get there and by then when I'm pushing my 70's, maybe they'll finally release more late 80's and 90's shows. Hopefully much sooner than that. A Spring '89 Dave's Pick would be awfully nice....say Ann Arbor or Milwaukee....or the whole tour....

edit - Vol 27 is awesome and sounds great. It's an excellent show. Haters still abound here I see.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

I didn't take what was said as being a hater, but you can't make someone like something they don't like.. So he said he didn't like the sound, doesn't make him or her a hater. Strong words.

I do think for 83, the sound on 27 is quite good. It's a cassette master to be sure, but a good release and no one should be surprised it came out when it did. We will see more 80's and 90's as time goes on. I wouldn't act surprised or aghast when this happens.

These things shouldn't cause such a ruckus but adding hyperbole isn't going to make things any better, just worse and more quickly. I like 27, it's high energy GD. I like 29 too, I have always held this show is very high regard.

Have a good night all.. play dead, be happy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Why dice Eyes?

-editing here- There seem to be an awful lot of patches of both '80's releases so far. There are a heck of a lot more stand up performances in the 80's, so to choose ones with tape integrity problems is questionable as well. imo ymmv

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I'll take the cheese, please.

I jokingly refer to my man-boobs as "Monterey Jack" (on the left) and "Cheddar" (on the right). Things happen when you are 257 lbs.

Nothing _wrong_ with Wisconsin...I just don't miss it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Got #29 today, but where the LIMITED EDITION: on the back is, mine has no number. Anyone else????

I wonder if Phil has been enhanced on this release, similar to 8-24-72.

On my second pass through, catching things I missed the first time.
H/S/F just started...

Some people previously posted about Keith’s perfectly timed contributions. I really noticed it on Samson.

Kicking back now to enjoy this H/S/F.....

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I forgot about that.. you are correct. I overlooked it as the Help>Slip!>Franks shines fairly bright. Onward.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by MDJim

Seemed like there might be one somewhere between 4:00 - 4:30, or they just spaced it.
I caught it while listening but didn’t get off the couch to rewind. Nor did I catch the exact time. May go back later to check it out.

Don't ruin this release for me man... Don't even think about it.

No splices, pops, skips, blems, patches, etc.

After the last box.. I am living a fragile existence. Nervous ticks, twitches, my friends say I am not myself.. They are starting to call me tweak.

The Swing is one of my treasured shows.. don't frack this up for me man..

:D

Don’t know if that’s a splice.
Sounds more like when your car tape deck ate your cassette tape but didn’t break the tape. From then on that part of the tape was a mish mash.

Tape artifacts are a part of history, so don’t let it get you down.
CD skips are a modern phenomena that are totally avoidable with competent quality assurance practices.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I am always humbled by the good folks here.. such a dedicated group of listeners. No matter the topic, there is always someone that knows more than I, has a better ear or is simply more rounded. You guys seem to listen to more music than me.

That being said.. the Swing (among a few other two dozen shows or so) has always been sacred ground to me. This release reminds me why. Three discs, three separate jam sequences that do somehow seem to achieve liftoff.

Sacred ground.. and I am not the biggest '77 aficionado. ..but I like it all, and 1977 was the last thing I listened too.. so it must be the best.

Special shoutout to Stolie.. for keeping it real and providing some much needed entertainment and injection of what it takes to keep us all in check. They played a song from one of those 81 shows discussed earlier in this thread today on SiriusXM. Sometimes I think the world does at least keep us in mind when shit happens.. like, if there was a ruling body and there was a director of random and seemingly meaningless events.. that person is clearly a rabid deadhead with a wicked sense of humor.

Probably one of the top three releases to date! Wow! Love all of it. The Eyes and Around and Around remind me so much of their previous gem, the Cow Palace New Year's show. What a bummer, the rest of the San Bernardino tapes are missing. Are the March Winterland reels in the vault?
If so, let's get them out.
I certainly agree with Spacebrother on spring 89 shows Dave's or Box. We need more!

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In reply to by DeadVikes

If it ain't got the swing.

Finally released.. a testament of patience.

Be kind, be patient.. sooner rather than later.. it will get released.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

It's funny that Dave totally ignores the Gainesville show in the liner notes to Lakeland on the 30 Trips box. It's like it never existed. I wonder if that was an oversight, or a slight joke based on what goes on here.

What I don't get is why no one ever mentions Sporto/Hollywood/Pembroke whenever the hubbub re: Gainesville comes around again as it is destined to do...

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...good morning everyone in Grateful Dead Land!
...speaking of 80’s shows, I’ve recently listened & enjoyed the Grateful Dead concert in Alaska, on 6/20/80 at the West High Auditorium. I really love the whole second set & the audio I’ve heard is great/primo as well as a fine mix on CD I played. I think this show would make a sweet Daves Pick IMO...especially the version of ‘Estimated Prophet’ & ‘The Other One’ , love it!
Have a grateful day my brothers & sisters, ✌️

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I see you're up to your old argumentative ways. If someone doesn't agree with your opinion about a show, he is a "hater". Or if someone points out a sloppy part in the performance, he has a tin ear, right? You would do better in your appeal for 80s era if you took words like "hate" off your vocab list, and didn't attack people with different opinions from you. Very intolerant - like someone else I know.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

roll away the dew
roll away the dew
roll away the dew
roll away the dew
roll away the dew

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

How are Monterey Jack and Cheddar doin' ? Another foot of snow here in Sconnie land.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

I’ve listened to this several times and i’m still not sure what the best part of the show is. A first set with playin>Wheel>playin? A HSF so good that when i was sick the other night, i swear Franklin’s Tower nursed me back to health. An Eyes>Dancin? A Dew filler? That’s not even mentioning the show opening Terrapin or the great Sugaree as well. My lord. That’s really all i can say. My lord.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by 80sfan

....what exactly did Spacebro say that was argumentative? I read "awesome", "nice" and "excellent". Never saw the word hate. I even read it three times.

I LOVE it all. Yup, every year.
I would also LOVE some late 80's or early 90's.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

MJ and C are just hanging around for now :)

Seattle doesn't get much snow. We got hit earlier this week (2 school-closed days), and there is a forecast of a bigger one on the way. 8 inches accumulation.

In Seattle, that's a whole lotta snow.

run me out in the cold rain and snow. or just snow. but I'd rather be indoors getting legally green and listening to the greatest band of all time.

God bless the Grateful Dead!!!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html