• 1,510 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Trainwrecked

Hey man, I noticed you occasionally make statements as if you know something about the release schedule that hasn't been announced. Do you know someone who gives you previews? Your comment "to all you treasure hunters out there, their is something ‘New’ coming soon!" for example.

• Lovemygirl

...a ‘grateful’ morning Monday to all my sister & brothers...🙏
    Great post, ‘Thin’ about the Grateful Dead’s history of artwork statement! 😎
    ‘Mind Left Body’- the other one/half 🙃😉
    ...to all you treasure hunters out there, their is something ‘New’ coming soon!
    Smile Smile Smile 😁😁😁

• Dennis

….. top half morphed into a skeleton...…………….. with a beard :-)

• Mind-Left-Body

Hilarious if the bonus CD artwork is the top half of the wolf, and he's all morphed into a skeleton. Man I hope that happens.

• bob t

Jim i was so confused because the Eyes went into Big River.... and it was so flawless!! Not a China Doll follow up. I remember getting it in the fall of 89 on cassette. bob t

• carlo13

Dave S. From mass. My friend and all around great guy ,wished I could of said goodbye. Rest in peace fellow deadhead,you will be missed. Your friend Carlo F.

• stoltzfus

6/18/83
    6/20/83

High energy affairs

• MDJim
    Re: Bonus Disc RT Volume 2 #3 1974..... 6/16/18/74

One of my favorites.. but I am biased.. it was also one of my first non-fm, quality soundboards I got on tape. An Eye(s) opening moment for me.

• bob t
    Bonus Disc RT Volume 2 #3 1974..... 6/16/18/74

Haven't played this in a few years ....... Forgot how good the jam is between Truckin and Wharf Rat. and the Morning Dew And Greatest Story. Hope everyone had a good weekend. bob t

• Lovemygirl

...great post Daverock, I concur about the band, “Man”... I’m going to put one of their LPs in your next parcel. 🙏❤️😎😉...
    ...I know talking about all these other bands/ musicians are off topic but I love talking about music. I’m sorry & I apologize for stearing the topic off track folks...🙏
    ...I remember their was some talk of Bob Dylan albums. Does anyone else have this vintage LP?
    I just pulled my copy out to give a listen...love it!!!
    “Million Dollar Bash” - Bob Dylan 😎

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bob-Dylan-Million-Dollar-Bash-Lp-Red-vinyl-Bla…

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

An institution in American rock music, the Grateful Dead continue to surprise the ears with new arrangements and altered styles. If their playing continues with the force that was heard in San Bernardino, the spirit of the Dead will live on. - Sun Telegram

We are more than pleased to kick off this year's Dave's Picks series with the much requested and quite spirited complete performance from Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, CA 2/26/77. The Swing ’77 show was a unique beast, unlike any others from this era: as the band’s first concert of the year, it bridged the gap between the new and re-emerging sound of the returning 1976 Grateful Dead and the precision excellence of the spring ’77 Dead. Debuting two of their most intricately crafted songs of the 1970s, “Terrapin Station” (to open, no less!) and “Estimated Prophet,” the Dead demonstrated right from the start of this new touring year that they were not going to be a nostalgia act; they were going to be as adventurous and ambitious as they were at any time in their career.

Join the adventure as they soar through tried and true ("Playing In The Band," "Tennessee Jed"), well-loved covers ("Mama Tried," "Samson and Delilah," "Dancing In the Street"), and epic new jams.

Rounded out with three songs from Santa Barbara, CA 2/27/77, this one was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

Dave's Picks Volume 29 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Finally an official release of one of mu bucket list items that I attended...ordered mine and it came through easily....Some day maybe UCSB '74 will come my way....

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Quick check of Estimated against the copy I have the vocals are far superior.

High hopes.

Super excited to get a copy of this one.! Can't remember the last time a Dave's Picks lasted this long (0ver 4 hours) without selling out.

No mention from Dave on the box plans for this year. 🤤 Could be another long wait.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

from the next night, far out. Does that mean we will never see the complete 2-27 released? Where is Dave's little skit? Mentions it but can't find it. I see your fire hydrant and raise you a bicycle.

user picture

Member for

5 years 7 months

No surprise it took a few hours. They limited the number you can buy per transaction, and they upped the number produced to 20,000. This is the last '77 show I'm interested in.

At least make it interesting and replace fire hydrants and bicycles with tits and ass.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

In reply to by Exile On Main St.

Finally, this chestnut gets its official release. I actually thought this show or most of it, was in the vault. This show was one of my CD-Rs I got when I first started collecting/trading in earnest in the later '90s. One of my favorite takes of Eyes!

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

... I concur Dennis , vocals sound primo! ;)
My nose is a twitching to hear the concert opener, ‘Terripen Station’ , one of my favorite albums and song by the dead...move me brightly
... a unique Setlist for my taste... ;)

user picture

Member for

7 years

In reply to by unkle sam

Hey Unkle.. On Dave's Distracted Roll Out Video he mentions they only reel 5 of 5 from 2/27.. so unless the other four reels show up, this is all we are going to get.

That explains the great mystery of this show that came up a week or two ago.

Happy trails folks.. bucket show indeed.. this is a true classic and it appears I am not a robot (again).

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

Was soooooo bummed out to see the track list, and no Stagger Lee.

....it took some research to find out the significance of the arrowhead. Not surprisingly, stories abound to explain its origination:

https://www.ci.san-bernardino.ca.us/about/history/the_arrowhead.asp

Makes a Terrapin opener now all the more interesting!

The watercolor is a nice change. Such a natural, slightly anarchistic tone to the medium.

....a shiny new thread! Let's hope defects don't taint it. Brown acid syndrome. Good thing I bought the subscription, because I took the family to a cool southern Nevada gold mine tour today. I would've missed out, yet netted both!!!
.... edit. boobs & butts capcha's. 🤔
.... double edit. If someone comes here to bitch about missing out, don't say we didn't tell you to prep ahead, cause I think I can comfortably say that we don't want to hear it. The senator rests.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Thats 5 branches. I had no idea what that picture was on the front cover of Dave's Picks 29. I even looked up the venue to see if it somehow looks like that, but it doesn't.

Dreading, surely you jest? I am probably the newest hardcore Deadhead on the block, and even in my newbieness, I know that Stagger Lee only hit the set lists Octoberish 1978. Judging by your avatar picture of The Closing of Winterland, I imagine you are a fan of what has to be the best Stagger Lee of all time (and one of the few times Bobby sounds like he's somewhat proficient with the slide guitar).

Speaking of Bobby, has anyone really taking a good listen to any of the Dead and Company shows? Just wondering if he actually plays well anymore, or if he's just kind of strumming here and there and letting the rest of the band shape the tunes. I've been close to downloading a couple of these dead and Company shows, but then I say to myself, with so little time for listening to music, I should be listening to the best stuff they have. Because there is so much from there prime years that I still have not heard at least 10 times :-)

I have seen pictures of this arrow on the mountain, people have told me about it and different stories about it, I have never have been to Berdoo, yet. This "official" story clears things up for me.
Thank you!

Been there twice..

but you know what they say, once a juvenile delinquent, always a juvenile delinquent.. as I drove into the city after hours on the road crossing my legs for the last thirty minutes, I saw the arrow and the symbolism was clear.. ahhh...

I guess that explains the $150 urinating in public fine I have been begrudging all these years. Karma's a bitch.

Then again.. after seeing the rains CA got over the last week.. I think the grand master in the clouds might have caught the same symbolism.. Talk about some rain.. Perhaps it's just a giant rain stick for the gods and we need to make one on every CA (and Nevada) mountain??

user picture

Member for

7 years

In reply to by MDJim

(from Wikipedia)
Swing Auditorium was an indoor arena located on E Street in San Bernardino, California. It had a capacity of 10,000 patrons.

Named for California state senator Ralph E. Swing, the arena was constructed at the grounds of the National Orange Show in 1949.

Many musicians and other artists performed at the venue, including Jack Benny, George Burns, Louis Armstrong, Grateful Dead, Ike & Tina Turner, Elvis Presley and (for 13 consecutive years) Bob Hope.

Sammy Davis Jr. hosted a benefit concert at the venue in 1958, featuring performances by Judy Garland, Jerry Lewis, Tony Curtis, Danny Thomas and Shirley MacLaine. Davis hosted the event to demonstrate his appreciation to the San Bernardino Community Hospital for treating him following an automobile accident in 1954.[2] Davis lost his left eye as a result.

The venue altered in the 1960s, becoming a prominent rock arena for the West Coast.
In 1964, it was the launching point of the first American tour of The Rolling Stones.

On February 26, 1977, the venue was the launching point of the winter tour of the Grateful Dead and hosted their very first public performances of the songs Terrapin Station and Estimated Prophet. That concert has been released as Dave's Picks Volume 29.

On September 11, 1981, the auditorium was irreparably damaged when it was struck by a twin-engine Cessna following which the building had to be razed.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Dang! Talk about radio silence! Bolo is awol! Perhaps the shutdown has compromised his last reported position

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

In response to an inquiry that was thrown out there, Bob is playing great and actually singing better than ever. Despite the amazing chops of the younger guys, not to mention the drummers, I see Bob as the heart and soul of Dead & Co. Call me crazy (I've been called worse), but I see these guys going until Bob hangs it up. And then, it really won't ever be the same. See you in Boulder!

I concur with Led. In fact.. I think Bob is playing better than he has in years. His vocals are slipping a bit.. but hey.. it's the Grateful Dead. I personally think he is playing as strong a lead (at least from what I have heard) then he has since he had a Gibson strapped to his shoulder.

Keep in mind.. I am not traditionally a Bobby guy. If you are on the fence, go for it.. just beware the ticketmasterdickheads.

As for Morning Dew.. I had this post written last night about that song and some feral cat, apparently living in my house and eating my food pranced across my keyboard and nuked it.. It was one of the longer posts I have written and I spent a considerable amount of time on it. Then.. just like the Bumpasses hounds that ruined Christmas dinner in A Christmas Story, it was gone in a flash and a shithead cat had escaped with the goods. if I get the energy I will rewrite it, but for now its gone. No, Morning Dew not filler.. it's killer. I roast my own coffee and the only coffee mug I will ever drink from is my Morning Brew mug I got from Dead.net about ten years ago (back when they sold good merch).

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

...hello vguy72, Daves studio walls are littered with ‘dusky diamond jewels’, it would be an honor and dream come true if Dave ever grace one of my paintings for the dead on his studio wall. I also like his ‘Movie Posters’ as well. Miracles can come true, so I’ll keep working toward my dream... have a grateful day folks! :)
Ps. oh yeah , straight crooked upside down and even sideways would be ok with me! Lol ha ha ;)

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

That is a bold statement led to say that Bobby is singing better than ever. He sounded pretty damn good in 1971 and 1972. And 1973. And 1974 through 1977. And most of 1978. But I feel you, and I'm glad you're enjoying Cowboy Bob.

I can't wait to hear him sing his first Estimated Prophet on this Dave's Picks shows up on my doorstep next week.

I would also be honoured if Dave put one of my paintings on his wall. Anyone who's seen the beginning of Elmo's World would appreciate my talents.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Thanks for the info ie 2-27, I was not able to find Dave's video and now I have been sent the email with it so will fire that up and check out what else he has to say about this fine release. Am looking forward to this one, lets just hope it comes defect free. As far as 77, just 10-29 remains on my list of should be released in all it's glory.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

What a great show this is. I love how they Jam like Santana on the other one. There's also a little tighten up in the disco dancing. Those fantastic vocals on Candyman. Every track is terrific. Some people were talking about their favorite show from 30 trips a couple of weeks ago. I might go with this one. Or The Lindley Meadows show from 75. It's a crime they didn't play a little bit longer on that one. I think they were and eyes of the world 4 hey playing in the band short of a full-blown masterpiece on that one. Or a blues from Allah

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Back in the fall my wife and I were on the cross sound ferry going from New London to Orient Point when the announcement for Dave's Picks 2019 subscription came out. In my excitement to make sure I ordered it before it was sold out I somehow accidentally ordered 2 subscriptions. If you got shut out of this and want one let me know send me a message. I will charge just 1/4 of what i paid for... bob t

I have the subscription, but my buddy waited too late. I told him to set an alarm so he'd not miss out ala carte, not sure if he did. If he did not and you're extra is still available, I am sure he'd be stoked to score one.

Thanks,

Bob

user picture

Member for

7 years

In reply to by Dark-Star

He has lost some vocal range.. no comparison to what he could do in his 20's.. but hey, it's Grateful Dead, do we really show up for the vocals?

To summary my comments, I think he has made a hell of a rebound from the way he was playing five years or so ago, I was focusing on his guitar playing. At least that's been my observation and I am have not always historically been the biggest Bob fan..

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 7 months

Recently, I got a local library card and discovered that they have several free digital music services that you can access.

Maybe these are well known to others here, but are relatively new to me. Anyway, they are Hoopla, Naxos, and Alexander Street , and all seem to have different specialties and fill gaps where others are weaker.

Naxos has a good jazz and classical library, and can be streamed on will.

Alexander Street has a wide selection of genres for streaming.

Right now I'm listening to Hoopla. You can grab up to 7 albums per month, for 7 days at a time each. Hoopla has a large selection of GOGD, including many of the download series, Europe '72 (helping me to grab ones I didn't get ala carte), Dicks Picks, Road Trips, plus many of the retail releases like Postcards from the Hanging, Bear's Choice, From the Vault, Kingfish, tribute albums, etc. Over 150 total. Just no Dave's Picks.

Anyway, it's a great way to access out of print concert discs and others I just never got around to buying. Some of the other artists I've been able to access in Hoopla are albums I don't have by Gene Clark, Howard Roberts, Tal Farlow, Charlie Christian, and I'm just getting started...

At the moment, I'm spinning a Kentucky Colonels album from a 1964 concert on Hoopla which I don't have on CD, Long Journey Home. It's got several tunes with Doc Watson guesting, where Doc's clear, hard, fluid driving flatpicking meshes ideally with Clarence White's gentle, rolling, syncopated guitar genius that shows just how he could cripple up the time, as he used to say.

Great stuff.

BTW, wtf is going on with this latest Captcha? I had to click at least 50 times to get through. Smh.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

It's an addiction. Why wouldn't I? The last several Dave's Picks just started to get interesting with mixing it up more. Hopefully Vol.s 31 and 32 continue the "mixing it up" trend.

This Swing show is pretty well known. Too bad the first 4 reels of the bonus material show aren't in the vault. If they still esist, maybe someday. Can't really go wrong with '77 Dead. Vol. 30 looks even more intriguing.

user picture

Member for

8 years 11 months

I know I have a problem, but does anyone have the book scans (square art) for Dave's 18 and 22? Thanks in advance

user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

In reply to by bob t

My best friend and tour buddy did get shut out yesterday, so yes would love to get that for him. I sent you a PM too, but this new format is a little frustrating.

Really looking forward to this Normanized release

user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

In reply to by MDJim

Highly recommend Bob's trio. Saw both nights in Boston last fall. There were no guest appearances but they were excellent shows. Not sure if this is sacrilege, but I almost prefer the slower renditions by the Wolf Brothers vs Dead & Co. For the Wolf Bro Shows just sucked it in. During D&C my brain kept screaming "Step it up Lads", though the acoustic Dark Star at one of the Fenway shows was perfect!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by bob t

Bolo, sorry for your loss...may the four winds blow him safely home.

RT 4.5; just picked this up and listened to disc 1&2 last night. Really dig this one.
Think I like this one better than DaP 28? Definetly need more listens to both...
Starting to get new feel for 76. Possibly some nostalgia involved as 76 tapes were often what was available when I was being indoctrinated in late 70’s. Think I might even of had a FM sourced copy from this show early on? One of the B.M.H shows anyway...
Not yet as formulaic as later say in 77 abs beyond. Fresh energy but laid back etc. Everyone really listening.
If I ever get to finally move in to new house and get music server back I’m gonna have to give more 76’s a listen.

Bob: I’m with Jim, think his playing is still there, but the vocals have suffered. But what person his age does still have their full prowess, no one! Daltry, Rod Stewart, Sinatra, Plant, you name it, they all acknowledge that time has/will take a toll. But how many folks that age still tour as much consistently, year after year, not just one big tour once in a while, that can still bring it like the boys, not many!
Still gives me goose bumps thinking about the St. Steve’s/11 we saw at Folsom last year, year before?
Even Keef and Mic can’t bring it like that. I’m not suggesting that they still nail whole shows on the level of the good old days, but often enough, or enough moments to make the pilgrimage worth the effort.
It’s easy to be “picky deadheads” but think how much it will suck when there’s nobody/nothing left to see?
Think of how much it sucks not to see the real deal anymore!
Personally I’m grateful to have at least what we still have. Remember Eecktars rule of relativity “a little bit of something is better than all of nothing”

Bring on the Ssssshhhhwwwwiiiiinnnnnggggg! and stay warm.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

In reply to by boblopes

I got your IM...... thanks

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I'll concede that's Bob's range isn't what it was - how could it be? But he is technically a better singer. He has learned proper technique, as opposed to his kind of talking/shouting style back in the day.

If you don't believe me, find him singing "Dear Prudence," out at Phil's place from just a couple years ago. It's all over the net. Just amazing, best I've EVER heard him sing.

Sorry for your loss. I lost my brother in 1995. There just aren't any words....

I agree with Led.. I personally think Bob is much improved and really taking things seriously. He may never be Jerry but he has earned back my respect.

My favorite Bob story.. (consider this humor, don't read too much into it).. it was likely 8 or 9 years ago and I went to see Further with my main show buddy.. I think in Asbury Park or something.. anyway.. he asks if his ex-wife can join, to which I said sure.. (she brought the buds).. so anyway, we head down and share a room, etc.. our habit was to get up front Phil side. I always seek Phil side even if Phil isn't in the band anymore, old habits die hard..

So we go and have a good time but she ended up forcing the issue and for the first time.. ever.. we end up Bobby side. We get back to the hotel and I say, so now I understand why you divorced and it did open up a quite the colorful debate. He's a Phil guy and she's a Bobby person and they are like oil and water.

So the next series of shows he has his new gf with him and I ask the proverbial question.. are you a Phil person or a Bobby person and she looks perplexed.. I rephrase it as being similar to the are you a Beatles person or an Elvis person question and she gets it.. so she says, ok.. I'm a Bobby person. After the show I say.. dump her man.. it's just not meant to be. ..and it wasn't.. he's getting married to someone else who.. is more a Phil person. The union has my blessing, a couples version of feng shui I guess.

Anyway.. silly humor, don't read into it just something to occupy our minds. I am a recovering Bobby fan - loved him in 71-74 but he lost me in the short-shorts, histrionics period. ... but I really think he has come a long way since then, especially lately. ..and to Boblopes point, I have heard very good things about Wolf Bros.. I just wish they would have played closer..

One edit: My favorite Bob moment of all time was 6/20/83 right in the middle of the short shorts phase.. during Sugar Magnolia believe it or not. You had to be there, but proves in the end I like it all.. why be picky, it's all grate.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In my book, it is a crime they didn't blend in the intro. to St. Stephen with an audience tape. I mean honest to god they hadn't played it in years, and it was the comeback tour so the audience reaction would have been very relevant. Anyway. Happy Thursday night folks. YMMV

P.S. Buses.

user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Real Gone is about to release RT 3.4 and the higher numbers are on amazon at reasonable prices. Check it out to phil in those holes in your physical collection...

In addition to that series Real Gone did a limited re-release of Alpine Valley (DP32), so if you're in need of that one, you'll need to get it directly from them, mine's arriving tomorrow. Not sure if they cleared out a warehouse or actually printed more, but that one gets me one shy of completing my Dick's Picks collection with DP27 being the only holdout. Next few weeks are going to be fresh listens of some 80's Dead and the Swing...

...interview with this years in-house Artist for the Daves Picks 2019 Series... have a grateful day to all my “skeletons” out there, you know who you are folks! ;)

https://www.dead.net/features/news-interviews-all-family/all-family-tyl…

...Dear Bolo , my thoughts & prayers to you and your extended family & friends in this time of transformation; like a butterfly dancing in the cool warm breeze upward towards the great big concert in the sky... peace be with you. ...

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/dave-s-picks-vol-29-1.html