• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by jefedepescado

....let's see how long it takes Vguy to preach Cumberland.
The 3:20 to 3:50 section is unlike any I've ever heard. Someone earlier (sorry. too lazy to go back) said that Jerry twists several themes into his jams on this one. That is an understatement.
🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟's out of four.
Just when I thought I couldn't love this song any more....I bet the next nights version sucked. Never know.
Could've swapped Mason's for that Cumberland and would have been all in.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just got some much anticipated mailbox love in the form of my latest installment subscription to Dave's Picks V 30 @ Fillmore East. Cannot wait to finish ripping this puppy to my NAS and then streaming it. Just devoured the liner notes- those used to be what I read while cleaning dope...er ... listening to side 1. Looks like my kinda Dead show, which is basically ANY Dead show. Enjoy... DigsDirt

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

HI All, just got my DaP 30 today, well sort of. I have all of my packages delivered to work due to some thieves in my apartment building. My copy arrived this past Friday but I was off work in early observance of Star Wars Day. So I am now home from work and I am spinning this for the first time - really. I have never heard these shows so this is the first time for me all around. Of course the sound is great so thanks to Bear and Mr. Norman. Musically, I think others have captured this well, but it is true transitional Grateful Dead, 1969 plus so to speak. Obviously this show takes place only mere 24 hours or so into the decade of the 70s but the LIve Dead psychedelic jamming is there especially with TC still being on board. But yes the shorter/newer songs are definitely getting worked on. These songs are a ways away from the that refined bar band sound of 1971 all except for Mason’ Children. Since Mason’s never evolved as it was dropped in 1970, it sounds as it should, at least to me. I haven't heard all of the discs yet, but I am favoring the jam songs and sequences a little more simply due to the shorter song in-development that was going on. Still the shorter songs aren’t bad and of course any Pigpen tune is always a treat. From what I have heard these are just a great couple of shows and I am really happy these got released.

I do think it is interesting that the touring schedule of late 1969 through a large portion of 1970 was as vast as it was as DL as mentioned. Even more so looking at the venue of the Fillmore East, after playing these shows in January 1970, the band returned again in February, May, July and September. Now I have a lot of familiarity with the February and May shows due to having the tapes and downloaded SBDs of them the prior to their official releases. Of course the standouts in those shows are not only the jams but the shorter songs are more worked out. Now this is not only true for the acoustic songs which adds something special to those shows , but it is clear the boys had more rehearsal time allbet much of it live, with the songs. Yet it is just amazing to me that they could for example unleash a monster Dark Star at the venue in January only to return at a little over a month later and unleash another one even greater magnitude. Same with with Other Ones and Lovelights. No wonder why the Fillmore East had to close, it took too many supernova Dark Stars and Other Ones in such short time it couldn’t handle anymore. If the 1972 version of the Dead got in there, they could have collapsed that place in at that point.

Finally to Mr. Mayhew - May the Four Winds Blow You Safely Home.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Gratefulhan

....Everytime Chewbacca was on screen, my son and I did one of these 😔. Saw it twice in the theatres in 1977. First time I ever saw a movie at a theater twice. I was nine. You could say it left a lasting impression. Now Disney is fucking it all up, but I digress.

I like all the new Star Wars stuff. I like that they're stretching out from the original storyline with side-movies(?).
Lightyears better than Episodes I, II & III that Lucas himself completely fucked-up. Now that shit was terrible...

I was 9 too when I saw it in the theater. What an experience. I think I saw it like 3 or 4 times. First movie I'd ever done that with too.
:O)
I am not a robot, but if I was I hope I'd be like R2D2...can robots get dosed?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

....I will say that with the utmost confidence.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

but overall, I am Star Wars'd out. The chillun watched it (and Clone Wars) A LOT.

yes, robots can get dosed, and sunshine daydream of electric sheep.

quick! name that reference!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Oh I don't think so.

Dennis: Hope you dig the RTR box, definitely looking forward. My favorite tour, Bootleg Series Vol. 5 was the first one I bought when I started to get into Dylan beyond the Greatest Hits.

...."You're breaking my heart." Anywho. We can argue this all day. However, I replayed the 1.2.70 China->Rider twice. Broke my heart.
You know what else breaks my heart? Monkey & The Engineer being a tune up song. Forever known now as Broken String Blues. Missed an entire verse btw. Frozen Logger anyone?
....is that a Dark Star approaching?

..and what do I notice first? Extensive liner notes by none other than regular poster Strider88. How cool is that?

Edit: For what it's worth.. there are more than a few frequent listeners and posters here that freely comment on experiences from some of these older shows.. and how cool is that. Honest, usually coherent tales and stories (...though incoherent is fine with me).. stuff from the formative years. SimonRob, Ziffle, Strider, Nappy, mhammond, Hendrix, Oroboros (and his evil twin Oroborous) and so many others.. I can't be held to task to recall them all. It's what makes this site work and what makes it worth reading.

A tip of the hat to all those that push the conversations forward.

....I love AMA's. Reddit > Facebook. Facebook is poison. Might have to take a vacation day for a CM AMA. So many questions....thanks Marye.
....tbh. I've never seen Charlie Miller's face. It was just as I expected. Not all heroes wear capes.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

thanks Strider - great read : )

#4866 in SE OOtah - holy guacamole!!!!

Mr. Miller did more to push the conversation forward than perhaps most put together. Wow.. what talent.

..back to our regularly scheduled drums and space.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Vguy72

5-6-70 Kresge Plaza,M.I.T.
It's got a very nice Dancin' that stands a little apart from some others.
Free show~nationwide campus strikes to protest Kent State killings...

another Smokestack...12-28-70

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

:)))

kudos to tptb

thank you for churning out these documents of awesomeness

you keep makin' 'em
I'll keep buyin' 'em

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Talk about a shady deal.

As expected, DaP 30 has driven the E72 fest straight off the rails.

I love the this release, I'm just not sure how much yet. These things take time.

You get one of the first performances of Uncle John's Band and one of the last performances of The Eleven.

Jerry declares White Rabbit before a half hour Dark Star that features 10 minutes of Feeling Groovey => Tighten Up.

Bear captures Pigpen's audience-facing charisma like never before during Lovelight; ahhh, THAT'S what they were all talking about when they said Pigpen was the only authentic frontman they ever had. I had understood it intellectually, and you can frequently gage his high level of energy in other releases, but this recording is something that captures some of that lightning and makes it palpable.

T. C. is higher in the mix than I've ever heard him - in fact he has this solo in Easy Wind that makes you wonder what exactly it was about him that "didn't fit".

The setlist is exactly what I've been craving from this period - a nice long mix of the old and the new. A while back I posted that I was hoping for something in the vein of Dick's Picks 16. I think I got it.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...after enjoying Daves 30 Pick for a few days I’m jumping to warp speed to 4/3/90, The Omni, Atlanta GA. What a primo release to enjoy on this late morning sunshine’s daydream! Beautiful Mix, excellent Spring Tour 90’ performance on multi track, it can’t get better...have a grateful day everyone, enjoy Daves Picks 30 with all it’s open mindedness and evolving sound that defines The Grateful Dead!, rock on my brothers & sisters! 🙏❤️🤠

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

First, thanks to Mary for the CM info, should be interesting, hope I remember 😉

Then: GO AVs GO!
Bastids showed up last night. Game 7 outta be a doozy for good or for ill....many excellent series this year, weird sweeps, Double OTs, several game 7s......https://www.google.com/search?q=good+old+hockey+game+song&ie=UTF-8&oe=U… .....
....sorry, gramps can’t figure out how to add link, Hockey geeks google The Good Old Hockey Game song.....
EDIT: or maybe I did!

DAVES 30; well finally received last night. Got er ripped and was able to some what check out all the 1/2 stuff, not sure when I’ll get to 1/3....so much Dead, so little time! Was hoping to go with 5/7/72 tomorrow evening but now I have to choose oy! Still trying to get over 5/4/72 Dark Star etc....Such problems 😉
Anywho, was sorta disappointed at first, perhaps too much anticipation? Yes it was a very transitional time etc, but don’t recall Dicks 16 being that sloppy....will have to revisit that one soon......and recently got DaP 19 which seemed a bit tighter? Like usual though, once I settled in and they settled in, the ole magic feeling started to come round again. And of course the more familiar psychedelic stuff was smoking. Although you could say even the TOO etc from the first show was perhaps a tad underwhelming? Meaning that suite usually kicks such ass that.....well, it was the early show and all that, and don’t get me wrong it still rocks! I’m sure the whole thing will grow on me like a weird fungus eventually...
Now the Live Dead sequence from the second show was amazing.....perhaps slightly less polished than Live Dead, but that’s nick picking.....Going to have to find more time for that disc fo sure!
Speaking of D.S.: sorry, have to ask, was misses Vguy feeling weird because of the Dark Star, or something else.....you said you waited 49 years for this......meaning that Dark Star or for her to?..........like she finally hopped on the bus and the combo of excessive G forces and Dark Star anti gravitational forces were a tab, er uh, I meant tad too much for her lol.....hope she’s all good, don’t mean to make fun of if she was not feeling well?

Keithfan, you must really have connections, or maybe you really were at Woodstock in some form or via the John Deere and made some kind of influence on the time/space continuum that caused the song to be renamed, but didn’t happen due to some kind of phase lag, until now? Dammit where’s Bolo, he’d know!

Rock on peeps and hopefully all y’all will get your discs sooner than later (and they’ll have no defects)
Haven’t heard anyone complain yet, hopefully they rectified those manufacturing idiosyncrasies?
Ok, I should go figure out how we’re going to mount this 98” TV that weighs like 270!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

A 98" TV? Holy Shit!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....likes the Dead. Doesn't love them, but likes them. Not the spacy stuff though. We were making dinner during the second disc. Then Dark Star appeared. The gave me the ole side eye and said, "Oh no Vinny. They're gonna get wierd now. Turn it off please."
Now I'm not one to argue with logic, or with her, so I stopped it. Waiting forty-nine years was in reference to the age of the show.
....she's out of the house now, so it's getting wierd. My son has a lot of her in him, so I'm sure he'll be chiming in soon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Vguy, too funny! My wife is not really a fan, though she’s been getting into some of the later JGB stuff.
Generally she likes Jerry, but that “Bob Weird” and his weird “vocal phrasing” is definetly not a mood enhancer in our house LOL. There’s hope though as she lately has liked some of the old primal blues and hard rock stuff I.e., pigpen etc

Re Jim: yea 98” planar, only about 20K, not too bad as far as really big panels go, did a 98” Sony master series at Xmas, only $60K! but hey, some folks just have too much money. We installed one of the planers at the ritz that has quad view so you can watch four things at the same time....so you could watch Alpine 89, Winterland 74, Sunshine Daydream and say vault view 87 all at same time! Kinda like we used to listen to 2 music sources while driving ala HST back in the day.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

LOL, Vguy, I’d love to hang or watch hockey with you, but only have a 65” 😟 this is for work. I’m a custom AV installer for the rich and sometimes famous.....though we do get a lot of nice freebies when folks replace/upgrade so I’m hoping to get a 120” screen and projector I obtained going by next season!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

.... thinking Ben Bishop is gonna be a stone wall myself. Took a slapper to the collarbone last game, but says he's good to go.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

Mine arrived today, but without a bonus disc. yes I subscribe. For those who received with Bonus, were they send in the same package? Were they attached?

First time I have ever had any issue with dead.net.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Thin

....as they always have.
First concern I've seen posted. I'm sure it will be rectified Thin. No Skipping Disc Blues yet. Knock on my head.
The Dancing In The Street is definitely dancing.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

After all the great comments, I've really been looking forward to Dave's 30. Sadly, after getting within 3 hours of me yesterday, my Dave's is apparently now about 14 hours away in North Houston. Today was the estimated delivery date. Now, who knows? Anyway, several have asked about higher-res scans of the covers. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow, I'll be out of town until Monday night, but whatever, I'll have a link here as soon as I can. Now Thin's got me wondering if my Bonus CD will be there. Gonna be fine listening one of these days. A Sugar Mag precursor tease in 1/3's Dark Star? . . . Onward.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

Sorry to hear you didnt get yours, but maybe a good thing. Ironically, it actually does depict Skeletons surrounding the venue, right outside where the dog ais located. I say it's ironic because of the joke made after you cheered fthat the skeletons are probably surrounding the dog just out of sight on the main cover.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

no hope of my wife ever liking any of my music. ever.

I learned long ago just to keep it turned off.

TVs: TVs are the portal to the "electronic wasteland" in my book. Jeopardy! and about two other things maintain my attention. Not a TV snob, just...so little rewarding material on that box. to ME.

itching like you wouldn't believe to check out the new Daves.

"Some people like to go out dancing
And other people, they gotta work"

just a few more hours...and I'll be right home to Daves

I read this too.. the ballot initiative is to decriminalize, prohibiting the city from spending resources to impose criminal penalties.

The times they are a changing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....aka boomers from my youth.
A fetal Sugar Mags. Is that what I heard? Couldn't put my finger on it, but yea.
Definitely some UJB stuff going on around the 21 minute mark. Baby Sugar Mags at 22:30 back into baby UJB.
So much stuff going on in the last ten minutes of this Dark Star, it's scary.

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

anyone else not receiving #30? email from dead says shipped 1 May, tracking info states "not available, package not at usps". Emailed cust service and get "replies may take up to two days" lol.

....to be able to pinpoint and focus on the nuances of this band. It's like I'm Professor X with my own personal Dead Cerebro! Bro.
Btw. My copy came with a lame sticker. States, "Thank you from purchasing from the Grateful Dead store. If you have any questions or issues with your order, blah, blah, blah."
Missed opportunity.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Happy Birthday, you really do swing man.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by unkle sam

so enjoy, whether you want to or not

"Daves I hear you calling
but I can't come home right now
Jer and the boys are playin'
but I just can't hear the sound
just a few more hours
and I'll be right home to you
I want to hear that Dark Star

Daves what can I do
Daves what can I do"

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Dave's Picks arrived with unprecedented speed at my humble abode this morning. Sods law, I have been unable to devote any time to it - distractions of life- but the first few songs sound okay, and the notes in the book, by both writers are great. They seem to capture what it was like to see a Dead show and be into them, before the Deadhead culture developed. I can identify with the writers 15 years old selves, for whom following the band wouldn't have been an option-or a consideration-but who recognised something special going on straight away.

They also make reference to the fact that the first half of the show was radically different from the records they had bought prior to seeing the band. It always seems to me that it must have been quite a shock to the system, being confronted with the unreleased Working Mans Dead songs, and other songs of that ilk, if you had bought Live Dead and Anthem, which would lead you to expect full on jamming from the first note.

Anyway-Hard to Handle-I think its about to get good..

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html