• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Is ruining sports. Sorry Vguy. I know you are pulling for the Avs after your boys got screwed. Now they did it to you again. I hope you didn't have Maximum Security in the derby too. I'll never watch that silly event ever again.

If that was offsides, then Brett Hull's goal should be retroactively nullified. What a bunch of crap. That was never (or ever will be) the intent of the rule. Shameful.

And then a "no-call"on a blatant trip. Nice.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....I'm not mad at the Sharks. But I need a punching bag. And there they are. Offsides my ass. That is all. Max Security got disqualified for racing. Whatever man. That is also all.

So I think.. we agree then. Which is fine with me. Win win..

Now on to my second listen of this most glorious release.

This last comment has nothing to do with your posts, more to do hoping to steer things away from hopeless politics... but I really do not enjoy the ongoing controversy here and elsewhere. I am much more a binder. It's so much more fun being a friend than an enemy. And really.. are any of us that different from any of the other freaks that post here? I doubt it.

In the words of Bob Marley.. your worst enemy could be your best friend....

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Stuuuuuuuuuupendous!

Even though i fell asleep during the middle third of disc one (done with busy stretch at work, house to self)

Seated courtside at the Warriors game after singing the National Anthem with Jackie Greene at the Oakland Coliseum Arena, where I spent many, many nights listening to the GOGD.

Pretty sure I saw Garcia's ghost lurking around in the rafters tonight, stealing hot dogs from confused and unsuspecting fans.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

When I was a teenager, the biggest risks with taking drugs wasn't inherent in the substance, it was a consequence of their illegality. The law didn't prevent drugs being available, or attractive, and taking them - all sorts- seemed inevitable. But the fact that many of them were illegal and taboo did make taking them more dangerous. You learned through experience, and the consequences of taking this seemingly necessary journey was, for many people, devastating. And life threatening.

I like the Bob Marley quote about your worst enemy possibly being your best friend. It occurred to me that your worst enemy could actually be yourself.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

... I recommend reading the book, “The Art of War” - it teaches, 風林火山 ...🙏❤️😎
*Listen’n to 3/21/90 this morning, CD2 is primo.
Hey pocky way
Crazy fingers>>
Cumberland blues
Estimated Proghet>>
He’s Gone >>
Drums
...liven & love’n it! Have a grateful day everyone.

Ps: Dead.net is only selling 500 copies of the 50th Woodstock Boxset out of the 1969 units...✌️🤠

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I received the shipping email with the tracking number over a week ago. Every time I checked the shipment was going nowhere. The tracking number goes to the UPS website so I copied the tracking number and pasted into the USPS website and it says it should be delivered today. Everyone who is seeing that the UPS tracking as not giving the shipment status try going to the USPS site.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

The Benefits of Participating in Sports:

Excercise
Teamwork
Comradery
Self-Esteem
Self-Discipline
Goal-Setting
and countless others

The Benefits of Not Participating in Sports:

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

avoid following professional sports.

play sports all you want. exercise, etc. is fine.

just don't give emotional energy to pro sports, because chances are, you will just wind up pissed.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

...started my day with some Help > Slip! > Franklin's this morning. Not a bad way to go .
Is there a better triad than this exact one? It would be a hard sell.

As for Dave's 30, I've made my way through most of it, disc three at least 3 times so far (for obvious reasons). I really like that Alligator jam on the bonus disc - a nice Chinacat tease embedded in there along with solid jamming. Pig is all over this release too, and i love the fact we got two back to back shows. it's tight.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

happy memories of being in an enchanted state of mind with a friend in Seattle's Discovery Park, listening to this.

:)))

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I read that, section by section, over and over for the past several months.

A worthy read, to be sure.

People who watch sport in this country often seem to follow a particular team, and would prefer a terrible game and their team wins, over a brilliant game and their team looses. I can remember going to cricket matches in the 1970s, and on one occasion, one of the best batsmen in the world was playing for the opposing team. I was looking forward to spending the day watching him bat-but he was bowled out almost immediately. "My" team consequently won-but it was a disappointing day.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

His last post earlier included the language " at the Oakland Coliseum Arena, where I spent many, many nights listening to the GOGD."...this seems to hint towards an Oakland Coliseum Box Set, the GOGD played end of the year shows there from 1979-1982, bring it on!!

My main guess would still be a Warfield Box Set....how long do we have to wait & why are they selling that ridiculous Woodstock Box set on dead.net?!?!

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Is superb!!!!!!!!!! Non-subscribers need to reassess just based on this one! :) Anyway - I dont know if its blasphemy or not, but aside from the Dark Star and Pig rave-ups on 1/2 Im really enjoying the 1.3 stuff a bit more - the Cryptical- Other One is epic and lush and frenetic and fucking beautiful. They just seem a little more "on" and the ,ix seems more balanced. Agree with some others that Phil's bass always says yes, but sometimes his vocals say "no" and there are a few rough spots with his voice. But isnt that what we love about this band - the humanity of it? The total experience of a Dead show could sometimes be a microcosm of the larger game we all are playing - things move from cringe worthy and unstructured to transcendent and harmonious for a few splendid moments before the entropy takes hold again. But you still gotta be a grateful participant in both high tide and low and keep trying! The ride IS the destination :) That was always the message I got from this band and their music! So Phil's shrieks are, in thier own way, just as welcome as his bass lines rocket launching me into into Never ever land! :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by SteveGold425

1/3/70; only superficial listen so far but besides that amazing disc three, I’m with the 1/3 crowd. Perhaps my reference point was more in order for 1/3, but overall it does seem to be a bit tighter etc. Also think perhaps there’s a little more energy from 1/3s first show versus 1/2...... of course all that is splitting hairs as both have their yin/yang, and so far none of it can compare with that monster Dark Star and all of disc three. (Had to check that out again!)
Imho that was more than worth the $25 bucks right there!
And like Jim says, it’s a great snapshot of GD history and though perhaps there is more sloppy stuff on here than normal for a Dave’s, it is interesting to experience them figuring things out. Perhaps not unlike the first Estimated and Terrapin from the last release. Those obviously were a little farther along and the band was hitting a new stride then, but same idea. I’m sure the stuff they started on later in the year will be even more raw and unpolished and with less of the monster jams, but one could argue that 72 wouldn’t have been so great without this transitional period?

AVS; we’ll they came to play but you can’t beat the cosmic forces of sports, or the refs.....I’m not that invested in it, hell not that into any sports anymore, like A.J.S., or cone Kid?, says it’s not worth it, and this is a good example why.....it seems to me that more and more things are not say “fixed,”, but that the various leagues seem to sometimes help certain teams along, which since it’s all about money now is not surprising. From what I saw of the last three Knights games and the whole AVs series it does seem like their a tad pro Sharks....and yes that NO GOAL still is hard to swallow even after all these years. There is no way the Sharks should of made it out of round one, even without the “call”!
I watched money ruin my precious childhood love for Baseball, the NFL is a fucking joke now, and Hockey is following the same path, sigh.......but that’s why then and now I always felt like you won with the Dead, even a meh night was better than most sports!
WEED; all y’all have gone round most of this, but as someone who has seen so much go on with this issue for many decades now, and who lives in a Green state, I would just like to make a few points....
- Generally didn’t dig Wrecked’s post, but sorta can relate to the concern about a majority of folks being high all the time. The thing is, the evidence has clearly shown that usage among the general population has not changed, which is what the initial research before legalization suggested. In other words just because it’s legal, doesn’t mean the whole world is using it. Which is good only because;
- The only real issues that the authorities and the media have reported is the miss use of, especially edibles, usually by out of state tourists who are not properly informed or experienced. This to me is just another case of irresponsible behavior, which IMO is the problem with most things.....it’s no so much the substance (s), it’s wether it’s used responsibly or not. Similar to the whole “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” argument. It’s not the weed, it’s the misuse off. So education, or mentoring like most of us old timers got when starting out is the more logical answer, not locking people up!
The cool related thing is here, if your outta state, the bud tenders will try to question, suggest, and give guidance, but of course you can lead a horse to water, but......
The other issue in Colorado, is they left the home grown thing a bit too loose i.e., quantity, so that the black market folks have an easier time with illegal grows and then are transporting it through other non legal states who are going out of their way to find it, then bitching about how much it’s costing their states to fight it. This also has led to a whole profiling situation not unlike being a Deadhead on the road back in the eighties!
But the biggest problem I see, and perhaps relates to Trainwrecked’s comments, is the ole “careful what you wish for”.
Meaning, the cops now are going way out of their way to look for illegal use especially with driving etc. They have been in a frantic rush to try to quantify thc in the same unconstitutional methodology they employ for alcohol.
Don’t get me wrong, there are unfortunately too many people who are not responsible, don’t have enough experience, have acquired no tolerance and/or who’s bodies metabolize these substances differently than most.
So though I believe there needs to be some criteria, once again, the law is going about it all wrong, and many innocent folks are going to get fucked! But that’s part of what you get when you create for profit government institutions, but I digress, sorry!
All I’m saying is be careful folks and be safe! Here it is almost the norm now for a search for any traffic stop, probable cause or not. That is one of the shitty consequences of legalization......

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I too am in tracking purgatory. Really like to hear this one but I guess in the meantime i'll have to keep playing Electirc on the Eel and Zorn's Salem 1692. Maybe UPS just wants to make sure everything is just exactly perfect with the shipment.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I just finished up the second Paris show and Bickershaw.

Bickershaw is a fantastic show. Everyone knows about the great Dark Star into The Other One. Everyone knows about the great Lovelight . Check out the Rider, BTW, and the PITB. Of course they're all great on this tour, but this show features a snapier Garcia on those three tracks. Black-Throated Wind - did it ever sound better than Europe 72? Keith is very audible throughout most of the show too, which is tragically not the case for many on this tour. Don't get me started on the engineering...

Butch - yeah, didn't you read the story I posted about emailing him for the tracklist of the bonus disc? We tight :D. No, but seriously, he had nothing to do with it and I've never met him. The RFK thing was something that I did to let him know that all of us message "Board Heads" would gobble up a 1973 RFK two show mini box. He was gracious enough to reply to me ( I say gracious, because I imagine he has more work to do on a day-to-day basis then I can even imagine; so for him to take the time to reply to it was a gesture that I think goes beyond his call of duty). In any event, his reply about the RFK possibility was one that he preferred I kept between us, so I did. He was going to give us a shout out on the next Seaside chat, but I think he forgot.

Darkstar - apology accepted, no worries. Sometimes things tldon't come across in writing the way we intend.

I saw a Golden Gate Park video from 1991 of the Dead playing Touch of Grey. I guess there's a whole video floating around somewhere. That was fun to watch.

Now I have to somehow fit Buffalo '77 in. Take two hundred and seventy-six, you know this used to be fun...

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I pretty much feel like disc 3 alone is worth the cost of this release. Haven't had a chance to listen to the bonus disc yet, and my initial listens of discs 1 and 2 were pleasant but distracted. Currently giving disc 3 a second listen and digging this Dark Star a lot, particularly when they launch into the jam of Soulful Strut starting about 23 minutes into the Dark Star. I know that a lot of people refer to this recurring jam as the Tighten Up jam, but if you compare it to Soulful Strut by Young-Holt Unlimited I think you'll hear the similarities, particularly the melody, whereas it does not sound like Tighten Up by Archie Bell and the Drells. The example in the 10/31/71 Jam after Dark Star is strikingly similar to Soulful Strut and is probably the best version to hear the similarities.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The main plaza of El Paso used to have live alligators in the fountain . Thought I would mention something interesting. Still waiting for 30 in back water America. Take some deep breaths , breath in, breath out, on and on.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Depends on the sport. Ask any lifelong Red Sox fan if they would give up coming back from an 0-3 deficit and beating that team from ny in 2004 for not having to endure generations of disappointment. Not a single one of them would. That is why it was so meaningful.

As for the sports themselves.

Squeakball is a joke. I could care less who wins. It is unwatchable.

Baseball is not far behind. I only watch the post season any more, but even that is becoming less frequent.

Football? Rapidly losing interest in that as well. Go ask the NO Saints why.

To me, hockey is (or at least was) the lone remaining sport yet to be defiled. The players, for the most part, are in it for the game and to win the Cup. Not the money. There is no money in hockey. That is why I like it.

I'll take a good hockey game regardless of the outcome over my team winning every time. I am a Red Wings fan and have no allegiance to the outcome this year. The third period last night was some great hockey. Watched and enjoyed every minute.

But, the refereeing this post season has really soured me. Taking that goal away last night was egregious. It goes against everything the sport is supposed to stand for. You want to take a goal away because a player who is a 100 feet away and has his back to the play is a bit too slow getting off the ice. Fine. Then take it away. But at least be consistent and give the Avalanche a "too many men" penalty as well. Simpletons.

The sport has been played for generations where it is accepted that during line changes, the player going onto the ice jumps a fraction or so before his counterpart gets off the ice. Never a problem unless you are involved in the play. He wasn't.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

I received the shipping email with the tracking number over a week ago. Every time I checked the shipment was going nowhere. The tracking number goes to the UPS website so I copied the tracking number and pasted into the USPS website and it says it should be delivered today. Everyone who is seeing that the UPS tracking as not giving the shipment status try going to the USPS site.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

One day you will get to play at Carnegie Hall!!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Really digging Dave's 30 so far. '70 is something of an unturned stone for me, so releases from this year always feel like a new discovery.

On a side note, I know that Cornell '77 typically gets all the love, but the Buffalo show has always been my favorite. It's just so damn good from beginning to end.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Is like half way to Havre in a half an hour. My tracking notice is getting better all the time.

This latest pick has really put the '72 box to the sidelines, I've managed to miss both the Paris shows and Bickershaw and upon reading the other posts I've realized that '77 box has been overlooked.
As previously posted by others here, the last pick is always the best so far, I am of the opinion that this one will be played more often, it did get me delving into Boxzilla for the 1970 April show.
It was fantastic to get the 30 picks so soon here in the UK, normally we are 3 weeks behind everyone else, a big thank you to all who enabled this to happen.
Also, I do hope we get news of a stand-alone GD Woodstock show.

...and she sings like the bells of hell” (intro to Playing).

Did I hear that correctly?

Please confirm tomorrow when you do the anniversary listen of 5-10-72.

Yeah, I’m ahead of schedule, but that’s because I’m saving the conclusion of 5-9-77 for tomorrow’s commute.

Anyone else notice there was no CDs made in Mexico stamp on this one. I wonder if they moved production after the debacle of last year. CD case seems a little stronger as well. 29 was real flimsy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

....I also noticed there hasn't been one concern posted yet about skipping/defective discs. This is grate news.
....GO HURRICANES!!....(I ❤️ the underdog. Don't screw it up zebras).

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Yeah you have that right, I remember Bobby introducing her like that.

I feel like I still need to get a few good listens in on some of the big tracks off of Paris night two and Bickershaw. I may go Darkstar and Uncle John's Band from Paris Plus Dark Star The Other One from Bickershaw. It's not enough to just hear them once, I have a serious addiction going on here. Then I'll be ready for 420 Amsterdam Street 5/10/72. It's Wharf Rat night. This is probably my second favorite Wharf rat from the tour - Garcia's guitar in the beginning comes through loud and strong and mesmerizing.

I always forget how good the Good Lovin jams are from this tour. I don't know how Pigpen does it, but every city he performs this song in, he finds a chick with her leg up against the wall. Usually after a four-day creep. With gambling and drinking.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

.... one word. Subscribe. Otherwise you missed the highlight of the entire release.
p.s. that was a pretty goal by the Bruins.

First.. a question. Now that I have settled into my easy chair and gotten comfortable with this release, I have become uneasy with the song order from 1/3? What are people doing, what works best?

Second. Why am I the first to shout out how good that Dancin' in the Streets is? I have previously expressed a preference for the arrangement of the early versions vs. the later disco versions (although I like the later arrangement too). This January 3rd version is outstanding. Even the harmonies are decent (no Phil channeling his inner duck). Simply outstanding.

I like the Alligator very much also.. The lyrics seem an odd fit though, I guess Hunter was finding his sea legs. I like the verse Pigpen added as much as the Hunter portion. Perhaps Hunter was channeling his inner Trey.. the lyrics seem overtly whimsical, like something Phish would write. Not complaining at all, to me it's classic Grateful Dead. It's just such a different song than anything else they have written to my mind.

Disc three is the gem though. The whole disc, but what a Dark Star and an incredible Eleven.

Anyway.. this release sits fine with me. Outstanding, it does the recording and performance justice. Top 5 Dave's in my humble opinion realizing not everyone will agree and that's ok. Then again, it's the last Dave's Picks I have listened to so by definition it is the one to beat.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I’m not at all trying to be argumentative, I’m quite curious what that Top 5 of Dave’s would be. Just off the top of your head.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by OKCDeadHead

....did I just read that? If Phish ever unleashed an Alligator, it would be....well. I don't know what the fuck it would be, but it would be.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Clearly a job for Mr. Jack Straw..

1) Dicks Picks 4 (Feb 13-14, 1970, Fillmore East) [tie]
1) Dicks Picks 8 (May 2,1970 Harpur College) [tie]
1) Bears Choice (various 1970) [tie]
2) DaP 30 (Jan 2-3, 1970, Fillmore East)
3) Road Trips Volume 3, Number 3 (May 15, 1970, Fillmore East)
4) 30 Trips April 15, 1970 (Fillmore West)
5) Dave's Picks Volume 6 (half from Feb 2, 1970) [tie]
5) Dave's Picks 19 (Jan 23, 1970) [tie] [tie]
6) Family Dog at the Great Highway (April 18, 1970)

My take, I am sure there are at least a dozen other worthy iterations.. we all like what we like right? Perhaps they are all tied.

Edit: listening to 1/23/70 now.. not sure how it came in at #5, parts of it are smoking, other parts smoldering.

I don't know.. I had Wolfman's Brother on my brain. I think Alligator is whimsical.. that's all, and unique in the GD songwriting cannon. Just an oddball set of lyrics.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....I didn't know you had it in you Jim. "Coming down on me" indeed. There was a show where they played a thirty minute Runaway Jim btw. That one's for you brother.
It's all about moods....
Ties are kinda like kissing your Mexican Cousin. (Phish phans will get that reference. Am I stretching the boundaries?)

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by OKCDeadHead

I will try.. in no particular order

DaP 5, 11/17/73 Pauley Pavilion, UCLA
DaP 29, 2/26/77 Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino Ca
DaP 8, 11/30/80 Fox Theatre, Atlanta
DaP 13, 2/24/74 Winterland, SF
DaP 30, 1/2&3/70 Fillmore East

Bakers Top 5 (or Honorable Mentions)
DaP 11, 11/17/72 Wichita
DaP 23, 1/22/78 McArthur Ct. Eugene Or
DaP 1, 5/25/77 Richmond Va

Just my opinion, no wrong answers.. disc 3 (and 4) of this release are to my liking, but frankly I like the whole thing.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html