• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by perithecat

As Perithecat says, the cost of large boxes is prohibitive if you don't live in the States, severely limiting access. A UK/Europe distribution centre would make all Dead merchandise much more accessible.

11/7/71 has been available for a few years on Amazon in the UK, both individually, and as part of the infamous 7 show "yellow box" of 1971 shows. These are all FM shows and incredibly good value for money. Its presence caused some controversy on here when it was first mentioned a year or so ago. But it has to be said, it is very attractive on all levels-and again, if you live in the UK/Europe, a fraction of the price of the Rhino boxes only available on here.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

The copy I have is DAMN good, Primo, not sure :-). Another easy pick for good sound. I like the song lineup. I guess I would have guess a later year than 71 for the next Dave. But Dave, I'll take what you give, sell, allow to buy. I'm looking now and yes there is a open slot on the shelf for 31, so send it already.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Bolo did say the contest was not related to the next Dave or box release...I'm still counting on the Complete Warfield, and a june 76 show for Dave 31.
Now, if only Bolo would at least tell us when the announcement will come out...

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

I read it a couple of times and still wasn't sure. In the end, it is what it is and I will take. But my copy of that date is very nice.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

and miss the Bolo clue, good one Bolo, but how about a real clue to the box set or DP 31? Congrats RichardTorres, great guess and a tip of the hat to you, Eureka, you got it. As far as the box, would love an 80 box, or a 91 box, but no 76 box please. Vince did not suck, especially with Bruce along for the ride, that's a bold statement to make and a personal opinion that not all of us share. Those were some great shows with the 7 man band in 91>92.
Those 5-26>27-93 shows were good ones, I really like the March shows from that year too, especially the NC shows, good times. I did not see the band in 86 or 87, loved the October 85 show I went to and the October 88 shows also, Jerry was wasted in 85 but he could still deliver the goods and in 88, it was like a rebirth. Someone said lets redo 95 with Mayer redoing Jerry's leads, Sacrilege I say, even on his death bed, Jerry was miles above anything Mayer can do. The 95 show I saw was a good one and the only stadium show that spring tour. More good times indeed.
Nappyrags, what a great find, send me some please :) Daverock, I also dig Tangerine Dream, thanks for the heads up ie. Phaedra, will check that out. That Pink Floyd jam for the moon landing is pretty awesome, 50 years ago we were walking on the moon....giant steps are what you take, walking on the moon....
I doubt if Phil will be anywhere near anywhere where D&C are playing, he's really not welcome and Billy and Mickey won't play with him so I don't think that's an option, besides, it's in writing that he can't play with the remaining 4 members together ever again due to that cash grab called fare thee well. Too bad, would love to see it but it ain't gonna happen, ever, at least not without a whole bunch of lawyers getting involved, and a burying of the hatchet between Billy and Mickey and Phil.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by DaveStrang

Senor DaveStrang, I called out the Texas dates a couple months ago when raving that the new box would be Fall '72.

Lettuce prey u r write.

He wrote "Texas '72 - 11/19, 11/22, 11/24, 11/26. Rhino needs to hit a home run with this one…"

without pages of dirt, what happened between the three?

Pure opinion, but, I would think Phil could play with them "legally" as long as they don't use the name "Grateful Dead".

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

I do not believe that there is a legally binding document that states that the Core 4 cannot play together for money.
The FTW announcement said that those would be the only 3 shows.
Then they added Santa Clara.
The statement in the announcement that it was the last time they would play together is not a legally binding contract.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

the FTW tagline said that this particular lineup would never be seen again, and I took that to include Trey et al. However, I think that they will do what makes sense to them, and I think that's fine, as they seem pretty happy these days.
user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Slept in, just had breakfast (it’s noon here), now having coffee and watching 7-4-89.

My reading of Bolo’s contest was that it was a “what am I thinking of” contest, not a reveal of upcoming releases.

I’ll go!

A ‘cash grab’ doesn’t bother me. I’ll pay the cash if the music is worth it.
That’s why I’ll pay the cash for Roger Waters, but not The Rolling Stones.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

solo
YOLO
pollo
Tolo
Yoyo

Psychedelic man of mystery

Dennis, great Hideaway link, thank you very much. HF / DaveS.. I'd take a big bite of a Texas 72 box.

Had a really good time at a free bluegrass show they had at the ski mountain up he hill from where I live (Hill Billy Gypsies). At the end they had to restring either the fiddle or mandolin, and the guitar player took some time to tell a little story starting with this next one is a Jerry Garcia song and began to introduce his songwriting style and took some time to credit Stephen Foster as being an influence on both Hunter and Garcia. Not sure how true that is and had never heard that before.. but he went on to say their songs and the style the wrote them in have a timeless aspect to them and lend themselves well to string arrangements.. and so started a smoking, wild and wooly Brown Eyed Woman ala bluegrass (acidgrass).

Had a great time, made some new friends, the weather was spectacular, the mountains beautiful brought our own beer and wine so it was an almost free event. I do agree.. and have said this here before, the song writing and the songs they have written, don't always get the credit they deserve. I do think there is a timeless aspect to them and Brown Eyed Woman is one of my favorites.. Gone are the days...

Well Happy Fourth of July all.. be good, be safe, be kind, play dead.

Delilah Jones went to meet her God,
And the old man never was the same again.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Vguy, did you feel that quake? And if so, how did it compare to being in just the right spot, in just the right venue, with a song that had just the right Phil subsonic resonant frequency, that you would feel more than hear, so that the hole place seem to be floating.....”the carpet too is moving under you..”
hopefully all y’all didn’t experience any mishaps?

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I did not realize how good these guy were. Jerry said these guys were his mentor or some other word he said in an interview . It is very hard not to be in a good mood listening to these guys. The banjo style is out of this world.

In all honesty I echoed the opinion of another poster when I asked them. I revisited the shows and thought they would indeed make a great 4 show Box. You posted the same a short while later. A 4 show (Tx.) Box would keep it affordable for most and who doesn't like 1972? It seemed like the band could do no wrong.

The announcement? Mon./Tues.? The Dead & Co. tour ends on Saturday if I'm correct and I think Rhino wants to catch folks while they still have 'Dead Fever' not to mention we regulars, who've been salivating for months. OK I exaggerate…umm…not really (lol).

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

And how. I'm funny like how? Like I'm a clown, I'm here to amuse you. How the f*** am I funny, tell me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....oof! Spinning Dave's 18, because '76 is unanimously accepted in the Vguy home.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Jerry in shorts.... start of summer 90 tour.... 100+ degrees and an opening Cold Rain & Snow!!!! Highlight for me 27 minute Scarlet Fire going into drums!!! 29 years ago..... where does the time go. bob t

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

The quicksilver messenger service, Big brother and the holding company and the dead on the same bill are the days of old. I wish I had a time machine. They don't even put up those old billboards for upcoming events anymore. Makes you want to cry.

Some those psychedelic posters from the 1960s advertising rocks concerts were works of art. Actually, it would be quite cool if they could use some of them on future Dead releases. If this isn't possible, for copyright reason or whatever, maybe the ideas and images could be referenced in newer works.

I'm listening to 5/21/74 from last years box as I type-the first set- which I thought I would add as it features some damn fine piano playing.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Just cracked open an Upslope Tangerine & Hops Spiked Snowmelt. One will do, for breakfast, to try and get this freight train out of my head. First hangover headache I've had in years. Our 4th party was epic. Now the wife and I are left to clean up this disaster (at least no one died in this wreck). Thanks to everyone who left wine and beer in my fridge and snacks all over the place. Ahem.

Probably going to pick up Al and drive into Boulder around 3 for drinks and food at Shakedown Street. Can't wait to see the fellas the next two nights. Folsom Field at night in the summertime is magical.

Cheers, to everyone else who is off work today!

\m/

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by LedDed

Been a while, but hope everyone is having a great summer. I'm eagerly anticipating both the next Dave's Picks as well as the box set news. No matter what it is, I can't imagine I'll be too disappointed given the riches we're all privy to these days.

On a separate note, I saw Phish at Camden for 3 nights last weekend - I know there are mixed feelings about them here, but they are playing great and it was good to be out on the lawn with some family and old friends who convinced me to go. A night (or in this case 3) with live music is better than most alternatives...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

It has clearly been stated several times that the box announcement will be 8/1 @ MUATM and not before. I predict ‘79. I saw both Keith & Brent that year

DAP31 should be in the next week or so. Maybe a Bruce & Vince show? That would be a nice change

I bought the ‘71 “Yellow Box” and love it

Saw The Who in May with a full orchestra and it was great. Roger is fully healed. Queen & the Stones on back-to- back nights in Aug. only about 5 hr. drive between shows. I am old but it is doable!

Rock on

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by hbob1995

Wooooohhhooooooo!
Fug this box noise (for now...) going to see live #$*($$(& Dead!
Only 2-3 hours of horrible holiday mountain traffic, a total dipshit fest gettin in and then.......aaaahhhhhhh
“This must be heaven....”
we’ll hopefully be in our spot last row center, you’ll know me if you see me!
T minus 9 hours and 30 minutes till liftoff!
Wwooooooooohhhhhhhooooooo!
Have fun but be safe sports fans!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

As long as a digital download is offered, I don't think any box set will sell out in less then a year or so. Look at the July '78 box. That was an AWESOME offering, 3 years ago, and there are still some on the shelf at Dead.net.

Rock on

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I have never been to a MUATM and I doubt they will be announcing the 2019 Box to such a small exclusive group that go to these meet-ups.

"we will be revealing an exclusive look at the Dead's soon-to-be announced 2019 boxed set"

It's going to be a look at not an pre-order announcement.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I would imagine that they will first reveal the box at MUATM and will follow up with an announcement here after MUATM. I imagine they are using the announcement as an additional motivator for folks to attend MUATM. Everyone will get the announcement, but the folks at MUATM will get it first.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

although I already had this one as a bootleg SDB I was not disappointed. for the copies that circulated was riddled with cuts. the one that most stood out being the Cosmic Charlie that was the most disappointing. my show notes from a 6-23-18 listening: Too bad about the cuts in this tape. Maybe the vault has a complete copy. Still has replay value & good sound quality. - Not saying I called it or anything, just that it was optimism that actually paid off for once.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I know we have talked about this before but the July 78 box set is the most under rated box release based upon the first 3 shows that were not circulated at all in sound board quality. The last two shows were out there in killer boards, but those first 3 are just such great upgrades... Think of it this way, what if the January and February boards from 1979 were all of a sudden released. We have had nothing but audience tapes for 40 years. No disrespect to the other boxes released... Before July 78 box was released i hadn't listened to 7/1, 7/3, 7/5 audiences since my tape trading days back in late 80's.... Now I am talking about one on it's anniversary date!!! Buy and listen before they are gone..... good weekend everyone.... bob t

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

‘Soon-to-be announced’...

DL just waiting for windy day

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Hey Now Dead People! Happy Friday everyone and hope you had a great 4th. I’m in recovery mode but trying to get revved up for the first Boulder show tonight. Couldn’t make it out there, so will be streaming live...Carpet is fired up and ready to go!

Oroborous-watch out for The Sasquatch creatures....if they happen to abduct you it takes weeks to recover!

Not a huge fan of '78 because it's a lot more manic (or coke-fueled), and Bob's learning of the slide onstage, but these shows are great for the most part. My favorite of the bunch is still 7/1. I will take that over either Red Rocks show. I don't know if they felt like they had to be more precise in front of a country audience that expects precision playing, or if they just wanted to blow their minds, whatever it was, it clicked. The Omaha show was my least favorite of the bunch, but it's still a damn good show. Why a box with 3 completely uncirculated Bettys with terrific artwork hasn't sold out after 3 years is mystifying. Makes it even crazier that Get Shown the Light sold out faster than any other box. Sure those shows were well known, but also extremely well circulated. I imagine that leads to some trepidation on this year's box. Last year's PacNW '73-74 looked to be a shoe in to sell out, too, but is still there with an amazing box and art, and 6 fantastic shows. I don't want to see them cut down on the number of box sets available and possibly miss out on a quick sell out, which 7200 copies of Texas '72 could easily do, hypothetically speaking, of course. It's got to be hell on Rhino's accountants to figure this out, 30 Trips sells out at 700 bucks a pop within several months, GSTL sells out 15,000 copies in 2 days, and who knows how many music only editions and downloads, and the other boxes are still available. Maybe they shouldn't do the download editions...

The physical packaging is revealed, similar to the PNW Box last year.

https://youtu.be/ePU2Ygv1ILU

I placed my PNW order on 6-12-18, well before MUATM.

Although I would like a June 76 Box, I’m expecting an announcement on 7-17 that the Box will be Alpine 7-17,18,19-89 complete audio/video. Being that it’s the 30th anniversary.
And if that actually happens, I’ll be quite happy.

Have fun in Boulder folks.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Folks in Boulder are getting real wet! Show Is being delayed and they told people to seek shelter.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html