• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

I agree with what you say about the 78 box and 1978 in general. I do like Jerry's "hot" tone and occasional frenzies, though. I also rate 7/1/78 very highly. I think another reason it works so well is that it is single set show, which sets it apart from most others of the era. Very focussed, tight playing, plus a great jam linking Estimated Prophet and The Other One.
Possibly the best year for Estimated Prophets, 1978 - the 9/15/78 version is the stand out track for me on Rocking The Cradle, the Egypt set that came out on cd.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

...I’ve always been a fan of the Egypt release. I don’t think it gets enough love from the fans but I’m very grateful what they released so far. The official release included “music and film” which is a plus in my book. Primo artwork too! 😉

The beasts are everywhere......luckily, they stink so bad you can smell em coming!
Now if they’d just do something about these Bats!!

Welcome to Colorado.......something we call a lil afternoon shower!
Luckily the hail wasn’t too bad and the temperature didn’t drop or things could of become even uglier...
Holy Shit that was epic,....aaaa, but if only the show was ☹️
Snooze fest imho....
Perhaps tonight will make up for it?

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

7.1 is an aftershock. Holy crap I would hate to feel the main one.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I spent the 4th of July with my extended family and a yard full of friends. My cousin and uncle are deadheads. Well they're dead fans. They couldn't tell you what year something came from. I've mentioned this in the past, the game I like to play where my cousin puts on the dead station on Sirius Radio and I guess what they're playing. Yesterday was a gimme, because you can't really go wrong one the July 1978 box set. They played the whole Omaha show I believe. We tuned in at Iko Iko, and then LOL, my cousin had never heard this before said, "oh my that slide guitar sounds awful - who is that?". Then I remembered the wanted posting I put up last week and I retrieved it for him. Lots of laughs; timing is everything in life.

The real challenge was the dark star that came on next and it had me stumped for a while. It was clearly in the '71 / '72 range, going by the style and clear lack of PigPen. I know E72 like the back of my hand, so it wasn't any of those; the sound quality was really good, so I was leaning towards the second half of 1972, but a soundboard I reckoned, because I know the official releases from that year pretty well too, and while I recognized it, I couldn't quite place it. And then all the sudden Sitting On Top of the World started playing in the middle of it, and I nonchalantly said - "oh, this is October 24th, 1971. Dave's Picks Volume 3, Keith Godchaux's first Dark Star." At this point jaws were dropping because even the uninitiated were wondering how I would have been able to pick this from hundreds of Dark Stars, which they understood existed. I didn't tell them about the cue that provided me with the answer, but then again a magician never gives up his methods... the truth of the matter is I should have gotten it much sooner, as Keith plays a very distinctive stand-up piano that is very up in the mix.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I revisited this set as I do from time to time and I must say absolutely fantastic! I have to say that Omaha show rocks. Must've been really cool to have been there. The St. Paul show is nice despite the f'ed up Mexicali (which actually is quite humorous). The Arrowhead Other One is a knockout. I can only imagine what Summerfest would have been like had it not been rained out for them that year! Oh well, at least we have the Red Rocks show which are both classics. Set II of 7-8-78 should really be set for orchestra I think.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

When are they going to get more Daves picks patches for my Levis jacket?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Agree with all the positive comments on this box.. I think it's a small blessing it hasn't sold out, not that anyone reading these posts doesn't already have one.

I think it's simply kick ass Grateful Dead. Each and every show, in its own special way. I hate to say, my personal fav is arrowhead just because it's so under the radar and unassuming, yet simply fantastic in it's own simply way. A one set wonder.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

When I see Levis, I think Levis Mound Rec Area, not Levi's Jeans. Haha!

Hook yourself up with a Rainbow Foot patch Carlo13. Those are still there, no? :-)

I went with the Shakedown dude for my coat (along with some custom embroidery) :-)

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Not sure if this will fall on deaf ears here or perhaps a small audience.. but the grandfather of bossa nova passed today. I dug it and I think it's at least a little dead like in a 1974 kind of way.

The Girl from Ipanema will be gratefully missed. The Brazilian Dark Star (of sorts).

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Looks like a good time to spin Getz/Gilberto, great album, dig that bossa nova sound. Actually discovered Jaoa Gilberto through Stan Getz, who I discovered when I heard a downstairs neighbor playing Jazz Samba or Jazz Samba Encore sometime in the early '90s. There is something about that bossa nova sound that really does it sometimes. Probably put Getz/Gilberto on next, finishing up some George Thorogood now. Got the house to myself, so I've been jamming the tunes all day, some dead, some random soul selections, some classic Sam Cooke, and some singles and one hit wonders from the '80s, just random jumping around the music collection.

Edit: the original liner notes to Getz/Gilberto has a quote from Joao Gilberto that is really pretty cool and with which I would wholeheartedly agree;
"Peace is a beautiful feeling. To understand and be understood is a kind of peace. I find great peace in real communication with another person."
He was talking specifically in reference to Stan Getz, but the sentiment seems universal to me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....I also concur that it's my favorite show from the box. One set of awesomeness.
A rain delay of over an hour at Fenway Park last night forced Phish to play one long extended set that went past the 10:30 curfew. I'm sure fines were paid, but what a set!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Joao Gilberto will absolutely be missed. A number of things he did with Astrid are just timeless, outstandingly good music. Speaking of which, the last stop in Boulder last night by Dead & Co. was awesome.

I thought Friday was ho-hum... the weather delay didn't really lighten the mood. But last night was tremendous. Got a great view close to stage left and the sound was brilliant.

I've always dug this little bossa nova groove, myself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YACjo8j56A4

\m/

That Tito’s vodka and Zing Zang Bloody Mary mix are amazing together.
But, it doesn’t hurt to kick it up a notch by adding fresh ground black pepper, some lime, Worcester, horse radish, olives, and Tony Chachere’s creole seasoning.
Mmmmm.....they go down so fast and easy.
Better limit myself to just one.

Now back to your regularly scheduled anniversary listens.
I actually did 7-7,8-78 yesterday while working around the house. So maybe I’ll watch 7-7-89 CWI.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

We're at the 30 year anniversary of my first Dead show today. Crimson White and Indigo, I believe, has the best Scarlet Fire of Brent's tenure. I distinctly remember waves of euphoria floating through me as Jerry picked away at those mesmerizing notes that repeat a few times at 9:15. I turned to my cousin and asked something like " is that part of the song or did he just make that up on the fly?"

Well, maybe there are better ones out there, but this one is plenty good to take to the desert island.

Edit - I thought I should clarify that I WAS stoned out of my gourd when those ways of euphoria hit.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Found a copy at my favorite local store; only listened to a coupla' tracks, but the sound is outstanding, the packaging and liner notes are great as well. There's 5 records in the set 9 sides with the show, and side 10 has a really cool etching of the front cover's artwork.
Can't wait for next year release of 3/1(or maybe Black Friday later this year?) I wouldn'tt be surprised if they re-release the whole thing on CD once all 4 shows are out on vinyl.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Dang. I, too, will have to throw on Getz/Gilberto tonight, I guess.

It was maybe mentioned a while back, but Tony Glover passed not too long ago. He was well-known here in Minnesota, and was pretty-well known in a lot of places.

Way to go, soccer team!

I'm not a robot, but I am watching "Love, Death, & Robots" on Netflix . . .

Its available in England on Friday, and I am really looking forward to the day it arrives - probably Saturday for me as I am out Friday. I decided to open the day by listening to 2/27/69 vinyl that came out last year. The sound and playing are fantastic-Mountains of the Moon is playing now, drifting into Dark Star. This one is 7 sides with an etching on the 8th. The new release seems to be cut from the same cloth. And what beautiful cloth it is.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Keith, my vote for best Scarlet/Fire usually goes to 3/22/90 Ontario. The sound from Jerry's syth is so open, the sound is huge. This cut usually finds me crying like a baby on the change up from scarlet to fire. WOW. But I have to agree with you about the little flourish Jerry adds at that nine minute area.

The Girl from Ipanema. Add me to "sorry" list for Joao. Always loved this song. Short quick story, probably already told, but. Me and mine used to go to a restaurant on weeknights and they have these ok bands doing ok music. One we like was a New Orleans style Jazz band. We liked them a lot. They had a sundry of other no names come thru. One night small jazz group doing basic jazz standards. Somewhere along the line a woman gets up from a table and talks to group. Next thing she singing Ipanema in Portuguese and she sound just like Astrud Gilberto! It was beautiful.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Is this for sale via this site? I see it for presale elsewhere? Gonna hit the record store after PT. If not I'm ordering it from somewhere! I like to own the whole fillmore set in vinyl.

Once again, still NO turntable hooked up! :-)

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...greetings my fellow Dead Heads, hoping everyone is well and grateful.
All this talk about July 78’ made me take out my CD, “Road Trips” series Volume 1, No.4.
‘From Egypt With Love’ Grateful Dead. Wow,
A lot of up front bass/reverb, my system let out a burp during the opening Track Performance - ‘Sugaree’... Lol, my floors started to vibrate under my feet! Love it ha ha,
Still, I love this release, the Bonus Disc is Primo! All 6 songs on the Bonus Disc are Excelent, Jerry is on fire and the band is rocking ! A grateful release in my collection.
🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

The great avatars:

Oborious, I love how your dog is eating his tail.

JimInMD of course the Wayback machine, especially when you change the date.

Icecreamconeheadkid, incredible you've never changed your icon.

Dead head Brewer, love your avatar. Not enough Grateful Dead bears on the Dave's Picks album covers.

KeithFan, love how you always have a Keith picture up there.

For your funny stories, JimInMD, Keithfan, oborious, and Vguy for your funny jokes you bust out, especially the one about the two priests. Haha no I don't repeat that one. But it was funny.

Jeff Smith for your dedication 2 supplying deadheads with high quality album cover art.

Bolo for your box clues. Many have made claims but I believe you are the only person here who knows with the next box set is going to be.

For your deep Dead knowledge Daverock, JimInMD, Keithfan, Icecreamconekid, Sixtus, and Vguy.

Many more to be sure, but I have these names on the tip of my tongue.

Thanks for the good times. The music is the music, but we all just celebrate times gone by in a vacuum if we're not talking about it on a forum like this. This makes it live and breathe 25 years after the death of the band.

If I changed my picture my name wouldn’t make any sense.
:)

2-28-69 vinyl seems to be more of a Rhino Summer of 69 celebration than a dead net thing. Maybe it will appear on this site at some point.

Now, back to our regularly required reCRAPTCHA exam.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I don't know how to add an avatar. I've tried a few things, but to no avail.

who can help an old man figure out this contraption?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I agree, oborous' dog avatar is hilarious.

Dennis - I'm not familiar with that one I'll have to check it out (Scarlet Fire). I'd like a piece of music to make me cry like a baby too. I did get teared up once. October 31, 2006. The Who released their first album since I was 10 years old on that date. Mike Post Theme captured the old Who to an extent, and it was new and beautiful to me.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Scarlet - Fire combo on "So Many Roads" collection

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Stoltzfus - Probably best to do from a PC or laptop as opposed to a phone. While logged in, in top right corner click the down arrow next to where your avatar should be. Then click My Account. Then click edit. Then scroll down and click upload a photo or image (one that you already have saved to a file on your computer). Find the file & then the picture and open/save it. That should be it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Step 1) Find a picture. Dead.net likes them smaller than 600 x 600. If it's too big, they will downsize it for you. There is also a 256 MB limit to the photo size, but it's almost impossible to find a picture that big for this type of exercise. So basically just find a picture you like.

Step 2) You will want to know what folder you stored it in on you computer (or if you're using a cell phone, you need to know where t find it).

Step 3) Go to the dead.net home page (https://www.dead.net)your account page. To get there, click on the drop down arrow next to the search magnifying glass on the top right of the screen. This drop down arrow should give you some selections like this:

Chat
Recent Posts
My Account

You want to click on MY ACCOUNT

Step 4) On your account page you will see words at the top:

PRIVATE MESSAGES
INBOX / WRITE MESSAGE

and little further down:

VIEW / EDIT

You want to click EDIT

Step 5) Now be careful here. Once you click EDIT from your main account page, you will have the ability to change your password, email address, etc. NO NEED TO CHANGE ANY OF THIS.

Just scroll down until you see the words "user picture"

If no picture is there (which is what I expect you will see) click "Choose File"

This will open up your computer's folder selection path. This is when you need to remember where you stored your picture. Once you locate the picture you stored, just select it and it should upload to dead.net (and you will see it populate the "user picture" page.

Hope I didn't leave out anything critical.

I have to side with Dennis. I know the midi isn't for everyone.. but that transition between Scarlet and Fire is mind-blowingly awesome. I also like the one from 11/30/1980 at the Fox (Dave's Picks 8). There are so many truly great Scarlet Fires though.. at a certain point we are splitting hairs trying to find the one that shines brightest. I think Latvala liked the 78 Giants Stadium one. There are more than a few in 77 that are worthy. Which reminds me.. I cannot recall the last one I listened to.. which was surely the best, I am positive of that. Let me think about this and give it another spin.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Went out of my way to go to a "local" record store. Was an antique type mall, had records in the corner. Not what I wanted. Ordered from Amazon, release date is tomorrow. I took free shipping, so it should be here within a week (+/-)

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Last year, DaP 27 (Boise '83) was announced July 16 and released July 27.
In 2017, DaP 23 (Eugene '78) was released Aug. 1.

I found both to be the underwhelming selections of the four for their respective years. If you enjoy these shows, take no offense. Just saying that the weakest selections IMHO have been the third of the year. Almost makes sense: Dave wants two solid shows to start the annual series with and a another solid show to end the year during the next year's subscription window. Third show can be kinda meh and the DaP model still holds up pretty well.

That'd put a week or so between us and the announcement for DaP 31.

I now retract my prediction that the box will be announced today -- a major step, I know, as it's now 3pm MDT. I think they might just make us wait until MUATM for the box announcement.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I know they only did it twice but I did like the combo!! Had the tape since 85..... That being said i was not a fan of Scarlet>Victim>Fire... Just an opinion... Happy anniversary 7/8/78..... what a second set.. bob t

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Thanks Keithfan and caseyJanes for the avatar info. It took 2 seconds.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

I really like 7/19/89
also 7/18/89 is pretty nice
and 7/17/89 is a good 'un
I am still amazed how much I enjoyed 7/7/89 MUATM
8/6/89 is top-notch
5/26/93
5/27/93
7/19/90

Does a moped/scooter count as a motorcycle?
Because the motorcycle exam had a motorcycle parked next to two scooters.
I selected all of them and was instructed to move to the next exam.
Failed that one too.
I’m pretty sure that the new rule here is minimum 5 exams before you can post.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hey Hendrix - I've noticed the third Dave's of the year is always the weakest, never a long pole in the tent show, 30 Tripsish. The fourth release is usually better but not by much.

Box set announcement is 8/1 at MUATM or so it said when they announced this year.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html