• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I think any 2 wheeled transportation that has a combustion fired engine is considered a motorcycle, but die hard bikers will always say no because they do not want to be in the same class with the moped or scooter.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

Dave's 11 11/17/72 was a third Pick, so it may hold a lot of times, but not always. The first 2 are definitely to sell the subscriptions, but there can be duds in there, too. DaP 25 11/6/77 and DaP 22 12/6-7/71 are a couple of examples. I find the ones I like least are the last Pick of the year. DaP 4 9/24/76, DaP 12 11/4/77, DaP 20 12/9/81, DaP 24 8/25/72 and DaP 28 6/18/76 range from ones I almost never listen back to (12, 24, 28) to ones I won't listen back to after giving them multiple chances already (4, 20).

The ironic thing in hendrixfreak's take (which is perfectly reasonable) is that DaP 23 1/22/78 was so heavily requested, and a legendary show. Legendary mainly for a few seconds of a Close Encounters tease (kinda like the other worst Pick, IMO, DaP 7, which I grant was a third Pick, which was infamous for a few seconds of Staying Alive!?!), but the show barely gets any play from me. And when I do, I choose Minglewood, Jack Straw, Peggy O, Tennessee Jed, Row Jimmy, Music Never Stopped then the second half of set 2, or disc 3, up to Around & Around. I probably made a highlights disc of almost all of that at the time. I'm not huge on 12 11/4/77 and 25 11/6/77, as they, too, have great moments, but don't carry my attention the whole way through, where some Picks I don't want to miss anything. I was surprised on that relisten to all of DaP 9 5/14/74 how exceptionally well they played just about everything up to that Dark Star that I had steadfastly avoided so long. Even the Playing in the Band, which they essentially butcher the re-entry to, they take the ending and ramp the energy up to 11 to make up for the botched part. But like 11/6/77, which people had clamored for since DiP 35, it has a great opening 1-2 punch in Mississippi Half Step-> Jack Straw, but then what? Music Never Stopped is typical '77-'78 excellent version, Samson is good with a fun intro, then the Truckin'. And I'm a lover of Wharf Rats, and that one doesn't really get me going, either.

What does all this gibberish mean? Perhaps not much, other than sometimes the shows that a seeming consensus of fans have wanted released aren't quite as good as the lesser known shows that Dave is able to surprise us with. 11/17/71 and 11/17/72 are prime examples, not just because they're among my personal favorites, but because they are just fantastic shows. Some of the very best shows released have been part of box sets, or Dick and Dave already put them out in the DiP Series, and a couple of gems in Road Trips (6/9/76, 5/15/70, 11/21/73, 11/15/71 spring to mind). You hope everything in the DaP Series will be awesome, but hey not every Dead concert that you paid money and traveled to see was Cornell or even MSG 9/16/87 (45 min 1st set still baffles me, for a show with such a reputation). Count me in on wanting 7/13/84 to be a DaP, but I don't think it's an oustanding overall show, I really like the Scarlet> Touch> Fire> Man Smart and Dark Star (plinky keys and all). I think it just is what it is at this point with the Picks, with them having to put out 4 per year and entice into getting a big box every year, too. I'm okay with that deal, and will let it go down next year, too. Even the shows I don't particularly like are nice to hear at least once or twice. Except DaP 20 12/9/81. I can't find anything positive to say about that one other than the Albert Hoffman bicycle cover. (And that isn't anti-80s bias, it's anti-bad show bias.) :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

That is a picture of me doing what I do best...Not my Dog! Ahem....
But thanks for the kind words. And though we are blessed with some awesome regulars, it’s the rest of all y’all that keep coming back for more and throwing those spices into the proverbial stew that keeps it all fresh and alive! So thank you brother Dreading et el!

Dead Days indeed....
Wednesday: @7/3/88 finally got to this one. Can still see that dipstick flying towards the stage during Birdsong....
Thursday: cobbeled together enough gear to watch @7/4/89 30th anniversary....such a night!
Friday: @7/5/19 Folsom lake, er a, I mean stadium! Cold Rain and Snow Indeed!
Saturday: @7/6/19 Folsom, ahhh more like it! Good show, could nit pick that the last-show of tour set list might of had some more meat & potatoes, but I won’t...
Sunday: watched 7/7/89: yaaasss, Kiethfan, nice cherry popper, Scarlet definetly a Bobbie dazzler! Though like the @3/22/90 too....so many, how to choose?
Monday; finally ripped the 50th albums etc and Warfield 10/9&10/80. Listened to 7/3/66, the Aoxomoxoa bonus stuff, the Warfield sets, 7/8/81 #1 and 7/781 #2.....ok, I’m all deaded out...phew, pant, pant.....
Hopefully RT 3.3 will be in the box mananna....might need a rest first!

Cheese and Rice...so woke up this morning in my own bed...no idea how I got there? With flashes of random visions of running, no more like gliding through the mountain forest with these huge but graceful beasts, all of us beyond high, like communicating on a whole other level?.....and wild ritualistic ceremonially dancing and drum like instruments, but totally made from giant like natural red woods, not man made, all the most beatific vibes......so wake up quite confused to say the least.....eventually everything seems to be normal.....except that damn smell??? Ewwww? And I swear I heard bats as I became cognizant?? Or was it Bullfrogs?
Did you ever wake up with Bullfrogs on your mind?

Sigh, back to the grind tomorrow....always tough going back especially after a 5 day Dead fest!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

First.. "Scarlet definitely a Bobbie dazzler!" Well, that cracked me up. Lots of good stuff in lots of recent posts here.. but I do find myself liking several of the duds mentioned.. The Other One from 1/22/78 and 8/25/72 I thought were both excellent, but I did like the comments and viewpoints and there were some lessor shows I guess.

Bullfrogs.. they built this river takeout, hiking trail parking lot behind my house a few years ago.. and it's in a flood plain.. so they somehow thought they had to engineer the hell out of it and tried to build a slow drain system such to not add to the runoff during a flash flood inducing rain.. so they built these silly trenches near the edge of the lot complete with cattails, water that won't drain, bullfrogs and essentially a mosquito factory where once there were none. If it worked.. that'd be great but it honestly serves no purpose, when it rains hard it floods there too. So I go to bed with bullfrog mating calls each night and for no reason.. fun for about three minutes. ..and just to squelch any rumors, these bullfrogs do not make you trip when you lick the slime from behind their ears. More on that later....

I especially like the non-decade, keyboardist neutral banter. Sure, we all have our favorites.. but lightning did strike in the later years, perhaps not every night.. but.... A very kind and wise soul here that no longer seems to visit these threads but saw shows throughout their history once sent me a PM stating he never understood the decade bashing, that was never how it was. When the band was on, they were on.. and there were plenty of great shows after Pigpen and Keith left the band. He went on to add all this started after the band had packed and gone. I guess tapes become their own source of history, but being there was different. After all, there were stinkers in the early years too.. you just have to poke around and there were some smokers where you would never expect to find them. Anyway.. if Betty recorded the 1980's she certainly would have turned water into wine along the way.

What were we talking about again? 1974 Eyes of the World? Exactly.. Listened to the Eyes from the Swing today.. amazing and clearly the best. Anyway, it was simply wonderful and carried me through the hardest and scariest part of my river day.. no flips, no upside adventures, so it clearly must be the best. Great show. ok.. back to your previously scheduled bouts with chemically (or toad licking) induced dementia. :D What were we talking about again?

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Jim, those 2 Other Ones aren't duds, and 8/25 I hate to say my problem is being really distracted by the extra bass. The Other One is the absolute best part of that show, and it's great to have the whole thing as the one on Archive is cut at 16 min, so it misses 12 min of fiery jamming. And I was including the 1/22 one in the part of the show I really dug, but that I get about 70 min of highlights out of what was supposedly a legendary show was more my point, coupled with getting what we ask for isn't always best. Like 11/6/77. Maybe if it hadn't been so widely requested, we could have gotten a more obscure choice that was a better overall show. Though conversely, DaP 29 2/26/77 is every bit of its reputation, and a bona fide great Pick made possible by the returned Bettys. Of course, it's all pretty subjective. :)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I have listened to this one several times since it was released and it is even better overall than I remember from my tapes. It is a show I go back to quite often. Jerry definitely redeems himself after that botch during Scarlet Begonias. Just have to see it through into the Jams.

I am into Eugene as well. Boulder? Not so much. Dave could have done better for his first dip into '81.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Comments were made about the extra bass that Jeffrey Norman added to the Berkeley Dave's Picks. That absolutely drove me nuts when it came out and for almost ever after. Then I found a setting on my digital player that expands the stereo separation, and in doing so seems to filter out that extra bass. Go figure. So now I like it. Fantastic Other One. The whole thing rather compliments Veneta well. "would somebody turn these monitors up? For fuck sake," probably my favorite Bobby line.

I'm listening to Dick's Picks 18 this morning, Playing in the Band particularly. A 24-minute version precedes what is in my humble opinion the all-time best Wheel they ever played. The Wolf intro is worth the price of admission alone; but Keith does a fantastic job with the Wheel chords softly playing in the background. Definitely a passage best accompanied by a parking lot balloon.

But the real story I came to tell is about the Playing in the Band. I don't think I've listened to this more than a few times, all ways too eager to get straight to the Wheel. The first 15 minutes or so is as good as two-drummer Playing gets.

Brokedown Palace may be my favorite Dead ballad. Those two E72 versions with Pigpen on the Hammond......

The list of dislikes was so long, but everyone has their favorites. 25 is a hot show in my book and their best November 77 release to my ears. Love the opening half step and the whole first set. And yes, that Scarlet Fire is different, but the rest of show is great. I also really like the Colgate show was well, with the bonus third disc. Dave's 4 and Dave's 28 from 76 are both solid shows from 76, with great should quality, but I have not yet listened to a show from 76 that I did not like. Most of the 76 shows were recorded by Betty except the falls shows when she was gone for a while after Rex's accident. I also think Dave's 24 is a fantastic sounding fall 72 show, different, but solid. And I agree, the 81 Boulder show was not the best. I did give it a full listen when it came out, but it does not get much play. And don't forget Boise!

Dave's 31? Still think we may get our first 79 release.

Enjoy the Dead you love, there is a ton of great shows out there.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by alvarhanso

I was too lazy to go back further than two years, so my data set was limited, perhaps leading to an erroneous theory. Ah, those old erroneous theories -- pretty much covers all my theorizing....

Interesting that you nailed down 11-17-72 as a 3rd DaP -- as you know, I'm a freak for fall '72, so that upends my "theory." But you also mentioned your disinterest in 8-25-72; perhaps I'm alone in enjoying the hell out of that show.

In any case, with my "theory" in tatters, I'm just fixated on timing now. DaP 31 news seems destined to drop sooner than the box set.

To be clear, the past pattern has been an initial announcement of the box's musical contents, then the "reveal" of the physical product during MUATM. Dave did say a while back that they'd be "shouting from the rooftops soon" on the box... so I assumed that meant the usual one-two, content announcement, then physical product "reveal."

Hell, if the box news is held til MUATM, which I plan to attend (saw the Soldier Field show a few days later, my only Hornsby show) , that's only 23 days away. And I'm a bit ambivalent. If it's not an era that interests me, I save some $$ and simply dive back into the riches that already line my CD shelves. Typically I listen to a show, then shelve it, so that it remains a wonderful discovery on a much-delayed second listen.

Pulled 7-7-78 last night and enjoyed re-living the first set. We tripped all day and looned out on a lot of people, then when the heat of the day had passed we were crispy as hell and the purple stage lights came on and they played a Jack Straw / Candyman opener. After getting too close to the stage at past GD shows -- that incessant hum of lysergically elevated minds, or was it the amps? -- by 76, 77, 78 we would "take a step back" and enjoy from what seemed like a prudent distance. On 7-8-78, my buddy Peter nudged me during the Other One and pointed out that the entire first three rows had emptied to dance in front of the stage. (Naturally, they don't allow that anymore.) So we scampered down and hung out in the first row for the rest of the set. Those were the days, eh?

I do stand by my call on DaP 31 as a '79 show. Soon to be proven wrong, once again, my friends.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by carlo13

Being a life long rider. The differences (mostly), scooters you step thru, motor cycles you throw your leg over. Also "most" scooters are automatic transmission, not really an auto trans, you just don't shift them.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

Just a quick off-topic remark... although, is anything truly off-topic whilst waiting for two vault release announcements? I harken back to the discussion of whether pork chops and mashed potatoes should be kept separate on one's plate...

This past weekend, while Dead & Co. played up the street in Boulder, we planned a two-day, 35-mile pack raft trip down the Yampa, thinking we'd knock out about half the distance on two consecutive days. At the put-in, we had to inflate the rafts, strap gear to the bows of our boats, etc. It was somewhat alarming to see a public health notice that West Nile Virus had been detected in mosquitoes at that site, as we were repeatedly bitten by same. So we take off as fast as we can and within a couple miles we see four great blue herons and a flock of about fifteen white pelicans. Elk etc. We stop at the first official river campsite to see what the prospects are like. Within seconds, we was swarmed by a particularly vicious brand of mosquito; swarmed as in difficult to breathe without inhaling them. True, full-body swarms! Yikes! Suddenly, welts everywhere. We reboarded in a frikking hurry and only set foot on shore once again, late in the day, when the up-canyon wind stopped forward progress and grounded us and the mosquitoes. We shoved off the second the wind abated and, in a measure of the misery dealt by angry mosquito swarms, we paddled the entire frikking 35 miles in one day, arriving at yet another swarm at the muddy and therefore slow take-out. More welts, which we treated by inhaling a good sativa and a couple freezing cold Hamms. Okay, the welts were still there, but we felt better about them. Side note: I have tested the leading non-DEET sprays and lotions and this just in: they do nothing against the angry swarms. NOTHING! Only DEET works and one needs to re-apply frequently. Because DEET is bad for humans, this is not a solution. So I just postponed my week-long backpacking trip into the Wind River Range to see the origins of the great Green River until August, when the angry swarms are a lesser threat.

No wonder we saw no other humans on the river that day -- or anywhere near the put-in and take-out. Still, we had a few puffs and a few Hamms while cruising down 8000 cfs on the Yampa, so in an echo of Apocalypse Now, our mantra was "don't step ashore"...

And now, back to your regularly scheduled "what were we talking about" conversations.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

How I love the human species. Such a mysterious and complicated creature. I can have 80% of what I want, and still complain about the other 20%. I forget to count my blessings and focus on the positive. As Blind Owl Wilson said "It's the Human Condition". For me, sometimes the wait is the most exciting part. Once I actually have something, "The Thrill is Gone". (Sorry B.B. King) I hope everyone stays safe, and enjoys their summer time.

Statistically speaking there maybe credibility to your theory as only one out of what? Six “third” shows would still prove to be statistically significant lol
Personally, I liked most of those shows....and 77-78 isn’t in my top years...Eugene, Bingotown, that 72 Baserkley etc..... Boulder was ok, at least they tried something different (the release that is) and Boise was decent if only the sound was a little better. it’s so funny how we all get moved by different shows!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Vinyl Warfield should be here today! :-) CD's tomorrow!

Oroborous - wake up with bullfrogs on my mind? Only when I past out that time in the swamp, opened my eyes and there was Jeremih sitting on my wet head, with large swarms of mosquito buzzing around me with my body racked in pain!

Stoltzfus - yeah, got an icon up!!! And that was the best you could do? :-)

JiminMD - Funny you once again bring up 80's under rated because of poor recording. (Agree, I was there also) But just last night at the store I had a long mix going on when I Al Jolson came on. I thought of Jim's comments about poor recordings. I read/heard once the recordings of Jolson didn't do him justice. That he sang in a very deep voice that couldn't record well in the day, but live you could feel it!

I tried to limit my negativity, but the topic was less than stellar Picks, and I mentioned 24 8/25/72 and didn't hammer the point home about that extra octave on the bass, because Mr. Norman posted his apologies about that at the time, and didn't want to make him feel bad in the off chance he checked in the forum. As a guy who attempts to play bass, and loves his effects pedals, I was really stoked for that release when I first heard it and thought Phil had a prototype octave pedal, but when I found out it was bass that wasn't actually there, my opinion shifted on it. And as a guy who focuses on the bass playing just about more than anything else, it's extremely hard for me to have enough bass there without still hearing that imposed octave. That show, particularly the Bird Song and Other One are fantastic, is a good one, but to my ears, it becomes an annoyance. Again, subjectivity. And ironically that octave maybe helps the feedback/bass driven jam in TOO, but that's about the only part of the show I listen to. For DaP 25 11/6/77 I love the opening duo, dig other parts of the first set, but after multiple attempts have found the second set, particularly the Scarlet Fire just isn't to my taste. I love Spring '77, perhaps for the same reason many don't like it: they're more precise after recording with Keith Olsen, and having another day of working with him in early May before the fabled Holy Trinity. Fall '77 isn't my cup of meat due to less cohesive playing. But, you do get things like Let it Grow which wasn't played at all in May (can't think of one at least) and Dupree's, and DaP 12 11/4/77 is a rip roaring show, and I dig it when I listen, but I don't ever find myself choosing it. And again, don't want to harsh anyone's positive vibes about certain shows, and I avoided any real mention of Boise, because that seems to be a Flashpoint for Era wars to break out. But those tapes sound awful. Boulder is a reel to reel and sounds great, but the music is what kills that one for me.

And I noticed no one has brought up DaP 19 1/23/70 which has TIFTOO and Dark Star and Lovelight, etc, but doesn't ever seem to stoke much commentary good or bad or indifferent. That buttresses hendrixfreak's theory, and makes The 11 the real outlier.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by CaseyJanes

cannot tell you how much this passage resonated with me:

"When we arrived in the bustling parking lot where thousands of Deadheads had already gathered, we instantly felt relieved, accepted and embraced. I think we all were feeling homesick during our first week of college. So we, this bunch of strangers, went home together to a place to which none of us had ever been."

That's really it - accepted and embraced. That captures exactly how I feel, whether it was a dead show, a dead & co show, a dead cover band show, etc. You walk in and can finally fucking exhale and let go of the bullshit and just have fun for a few hours among people who you know are feeling the same way you are. Hard to top that feeling.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

No worries Alvarhonso, it's all good. The discussion pushes the topics along and often makes us revisit stuff sometimes yielding entirely different perspectives. ..and it is very subjective.

I should listen to them all again, it has been years since I listened to some of these. Listening to 7/3/78 St Paul as I write this, making this the last Scarlet Fire I have listened to. It sounds mighty fine and the Dancin in the Streets has a little more kick than I remembered. Very tight.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years

In reply to by JimInMD

I enjoyed them all - some were no brainers (#13 - Winterland, Feb 74). Others I'm still surprised at how they stuck with me (#15 - Nashville, 78).

The only ones I don't revisit that much are the fall 71 shows for whatever reason. All great stuff, just not my go-to when I need a fix. I've also been listening to the 1978 box recently - really great stuff, and perhaps the most under rated box set they've ever put out. I still cannot believe it's available...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

That's a lot. Are you sure? Why the hey would Norman do that to those tapes and not others? I'm going to compare it to the 4 cd set from April '71 (Ladies and Gents). I've always considered that one rather chunky bass-wise.

Here's an under-rated pick: DaP 30! Nice booklet with that one! :-)

P.S. My vegetables do come into contact with my potatoes, and Pork Chops sometimes. I never weighed in on that one, but I did think about a whole pork chop dinner (gravy and all) in the blender and passed.

Drinking Hamm’s.

Do they still make that?

About 10-15 years ago Stroh’s was brought back for a summer nostalgia release. Naturally I bought a 6 to relive some glory days of high school circa 86-87 when Stroh’s was being sold in 15- and 30-packs. And for the same price as 12- and 24-packs of competing beers! How could a poor teenager not go for the package with the extra beer?
Anyway that nostalgia Stroh’s was horrendous and I drank less than half a can and gave the rest away.
Buying that in the first place was erroneous thinking on my part.
Lesson learned, don’t go for the nostalgia beer.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Yes, Norman confessed.
He manipulated the bass a bit too much.

But what about the Winterland 10/74 kick drum?
Some people hate that.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Next Tuesday the 16th let the guessing game begin!!!!!
I say it's from '79.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I also whipped out Dap 25 and found the bass problem minor imho. It is still stellar and that He's gone is just sweet. I try to go back and replay some of the past Dap's to get another fresh listen and find that some days it's dependent on my mood. No clue for Dap 31.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

He said he boosted the bass because it was low in the mix (an oddity in itself as Owsley made the recording, and he's notorious for bass heavy mixes), and in quieter passages the sound of the bass sounds like an octaver effect, like a MuTron Octave Divider, which Jerry added a few years later along with the MuTron Envelope Filter. I've tried decreasing the bass on my stereo, and on the EQ in the car, but I still hear it. Mr. Norman said he did it on DaP 25 as well, though it is far less noticeable; in fact, had he not said anything, I wouldn't have known. On the Berkeley show, though, it's overwhelming to my ears. It works in the throes of The Other One's feedback jam following Phil's not quite Philo Stomp, but in those quieter songs it distracts me...

To Carlo, I just may find it more distracting because that's usually the main focus of my listening to most music, not just the Dead. I'm similarly irritated by songs where I literally have to strain to hear the bass clearly. I find that an exhausting exercise. It's worse when I'm playing and can't hear it.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Dap 25 bass enhance is kinda like what they did to smokey and the bandit 25th anniversary dvd when they replaced the bandits car revving engine sound with a different computerized sound for the new age kids watching it. Look it up. It's so weird that they replaced a real motor sound of the actual car to a digitized sound that does not match up with the real deal. Dap 25 was nothing like what they did to the dvd. It was more subtle but still there. No biggie for Norm.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

You are right. I would not have thought it was enhanced if no one said so.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Almost as good as Veneta. Put it on my gravestone.

As I mentioned earlier, it only took a simple digital playback adjustment for me to all but mute the effect of the bass add-on that Norman did; so with all of the different playback options, equipment types, and audio configurations we all have, I understand better why some people never heard the extra bass, or at least didn't hear enough that it bothered them.

But as for the performance itself, the show kicks complete ass.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

On the heels of the official DaP 31 announcement and the anticipation of the new box set reveal I went a little nutty in a good way. I came across a Road Trips Vol. 1 # 3 Summer 71 with the bonus disc at a decent price on good ol' eBay. I put an on offer on it which was accepted so I managed to add it to my collection. There are some really nice jams on that release and the 7/31/71 Dark Star surprised me.

However many of you on this thread recently talked and raved about the July 78 box again. That is one i did not have and after the latest rounds of discussions I decided I needed to get it I almost bought it several times in the past but I let pass by each time I considered it. With less than 500 left I felt like i could not pass on it any longer. Plus I consider all of you who comment regularly on these threads/pages to be Jedi masters when it come to all things Grateful Dead - dare I say this is Grateful Dead's Jedi council? The bottom line is all of you know what you are talking about so I couldn't pass up a recommendation on that box any longer.

So between July 78, my recent Road Trips acquisition, and Dave's 31 I will be busy. Plus MUATM is on the horizon too. All I need is a Dead and Company fall tour and I will be set. Good times!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

We all should bet on when the first neg. Is placed.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

I don't know KF, Veneta's awfully good ya know! To be honest I have not listened to Berkeley since it came out. I will have to run it back.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

Consult the GD Bulletin that was just sent out.

Now, can I navigate the reCRAPTCHA gauntlet....?

I've always enjoyed reading diverse opinions on things. It's always turned me off if everyone thinks and says the same thing. I read on the back of his biography recently, a quote from Nietzsche, that said words to the effect that convictions are bigger enemies of truth than lies. Its ghastly being with a group of people who all agree with each other all the time. You might as well talk to yourself.

My hope for posts following the announcements of the new releases, especially the box, is that no-one sees fit to remind everyone that their prediction has come true, and that they were right all along.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Gratefulhan

I'd like to join in with the people who know what they are talking about, and congratulate you on your latest acquisition. Not only are there some stellar shows in this box, the sound quality is supreme too. I wish my guitar sounded like that ! Nice looking box, too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Omaha Space that is where it's at.

Enjoy your first forays through the box. Enjoy the artwork, too! :-) Right On!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Just grabbed the new vinyl for $80 plus tax on Barnes & Noble. Used a 15% member coupon that they sent out. Not a bad deal if you are B&N member....it's in stock, so if all goes well I'll be jamming by this afternoon.........Can't wait!!!!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Revisiting the July 78 box. In my opinion, the first show is the gem here, with 7/8 a close second; for me, my appreciation for the rest of the shows depend on whether Bobby overpowers Jerry with out of tune slide or not...for example, the 7/5 Sugaree starts great, then Bob starts playing lead slide louder than Jerry which ruins the whole jam..been trying to accept Slide Bob for decades, still can't stomach it! The two Werewolves are scary...
To be sure, there is some great stuff in there the Eyes and Dancing are flawless.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html