• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

GarciaLive 11 on the way!

Warfield cd out for delivery!

Warfield vinyl came in yesterday

fillmore 2/28/69,,,,, Amazon hasn't sent yet? They better not screw me!!!

Is this the point I'm supposed to say what my last five were, or where's Gainsville, or what the next box is, or what the next Dap is? And then return to our regularly scheduled Captain and Tennille, Muskrat Love -> Love Will Keep Us Together.

Well I won't do it, no sir, not in this lifetime!

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

To me doesn't sound like a Betty board. The vocals are much much louder than the instruments. I bought it for us and would buy it again, but it's very spotty.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Stroh's is Detroit beer.

Also, Stroh's backwards is shorts.

That's all.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The first set kicks complete ass, but towards setbreak whatever Jerry took catches up with him and he's only playing guitar for the 2nd set, other than Stella Blue, which he can barely sing. The trouble starts with his Bertha mistake, which he valiantly tries to make up for with that ending solo. That, coupled with the sonic additions to Phil's bass, has me going to other Fall '72 shows before this one.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the Truckin -> Other One. Despite its flaws it's from a high point in their career. I wish they'd release the other shows in this Berkeley run too.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

One of my top-three years, thanks in part to that amazing box set, thanks in part to DaP 23, which is probably my all-time favorite Dave's Pick, and thanks in part to DP 18. The precision of early 1977 is still present, but it's tempered and enhanced by a "Push things until the train runs off the tracks once-in-a-while" attitude.

Na . . . still chuckling. Shared it with my son, who is taking a fun summer course on the periodic table.

I found the extra bass on DaP24 to be distracting on certain systems. I have to play that Pick only on certain headphones/speakers. I heard an interview with Norman where he confesses to letting that effect get away from him . . .

As much as I love the classic years, I'm hoping that the box and DaP31 are from some lesser-represented years. And I really hope we're done with the DaP skeletons . . . (I hope that's not complaining . . . :) I'm really looking forward to the Meet-Up. Not only is it finally at a really FUN theater in Minneapolis (as opposed to the corporate behemoths it's usually at), but the show was performed one week before my first (6/24/91)!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

So Bob the bathtub guy is over at my house today refinishing the surface of my bathtub and also my sink. I'm spinning my new 2/28/69 vinyl. He comes down and says, "I like your music.....followed the dead around for several years. My favorite show was Iowa Fair Grounds, Des Moines, IA 6/16/74, Wall of Sound. First five rows and was so loud you couldn't hear the guy next to you. Also saw Pigpen at Soldiers & Sailors, Memorial Hall 2/05/69. " I informed him that was just 23 days before the show I was listening too. I showed him my GD shrine and art up in my music room, and gave him a button from Dead & Co. at The Gorge.........

It's true....Weir everywhere!!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Thanks for the reminder--I forgot to post this incident when it occurred a few months back. So this past March I'm at this contra/square dance and cross-country ski weekend in northern MN, and I have a "sneaky" Dead shirt on (the one with the icons dancing in the moonlight). A "mature" guy I run into now and again sees it and says, "I saw the Dead WAY back when." I asked what era, and he said it was in the early 70's in Boston. I said, "You mean, like November 30th, December 1st and 2nd, 1973?" His eyes bug out of his head and he says, "YES! That's exactly the dates! WHAT?!" I said, "I was JUST listening to those shows yesterday; they put them out on Dick's Picks vol. 14." He hadn't seen them since, nor had he kept up on any releases, but it freaked us both out a bit to have that conversation. :)

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

After drinking a few Strohs, check your shorts.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Love that story.
user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Casey Jones sent me to this party! I’ve been meaning to get on this thread for awhile but you know...well... here I am. I finally pulled the trigger on the July 78 box set! It was easy for May 77 & PNW 73&74 to get ordered immediately, my favorite years being 73 & 77 . But man when I hear a 78 show that’s hot , goddamn it’s rollicking hot! DaP23 is nuts, the segue from drums into the other One is
the hottest rocking spaceship 🚀 stuff I’ve ever heard!( on a side note I saw widespread at red rocks a couple weeks ago, never miss a Sunday show lol! & Speaking of rocking hot , Jimmy Herring blew my brains into the night sky ! Incredible is an understatement of that man, in a hundred years musicians will be listening to live archives of him & still be floored) , but yeah that transition literally sounds like some spaceship taking off. But 78 can also be extremely sloppy. I had to really listen to the archives before pulling the trigger, another thing was that it hadn’t sold out, thought there might be some merit to it but I think I’ll be happy with my purchase, of course I will! Listening to new haven 5/5/77 , love this tight condensed show:). Call me a glutton but I’m really 🙏ing for a 74 DaP31, why? Why the fuck not!

...and got stuck in the D's...
therefore my last 5 + 1 was...
Dead & Co. 7-9-16 Alpine Valley
Diga Rhythm Band 5-30-75 Golden Gate Park
Dirk Powell & Tim O'Brien~Songs From The Mountain
Doc & Merle 5-1-74 The Boarding House, San Fran.
Doors 9-20-68 Stockholm, Sweden (late show)
Duke Ellington 2-2-1932 American Record Corporation Studios~New York
:O)

Hey Phil. Welcome to the asylum...

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...I’ve really been enjoying the ‘road trip’ vol1 #4, “from Egypt with love” plus the Bonus CD, from 1978, Winterland 10/21-22/78. There’s a lot of primo performances included within this release. If anyone can give it a listen I’m pretty sure your gonna find some golden nuggets held within.
Have a grateful day everyone, the third week of July is almost upon us deadheads & fans.😉
Peace be with you all, god bless! 🙏❤️🤠

1978 shows are great if you don't expect them to sound like 1974's. 1974 shows are great if you don't expect them to sound like 1968's. 1968 shows sound great which ever way you look. As long as you aren't expecting them to sound like 1972's.

Apart from Estimated Prophet, the other song they play with real bite in 1978 seems to be Tennessee Jed. Every version I hear from this year swings in a way it never did before. And probably never did again.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Jeff thanks for that. Also thank you all again. I should get my box by next week, hopefully in time for a little road trip I have coming up. I am looking forward to digging in to it.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Just finished ripping in. VERY nice recording, one might even say "primo" :-). But really very nice recording. But now I just realized I don't have EXPANDED Reckoning! And so goes the search.

Well that was a short search! Barnes & Noble had it in stock for less than the Dead site and 1/3 less than Amazon! So I got it for 30 bucks, delivered, express shipping.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Dave Rock I'd like to add the other one to the 1978 bikes. Especially early in the year. Dick's Picks 18 is unparalleled in my mind as far as the post hiatus performances go. MacArthur Court AKA close encounters with the Grateful Dead is also excellent. I think the wolf had something to do with that.

I also think lazy lightning supplication started jamming out a bit more in 78. To be honest though I don't know a lot of versions from either year 77 or 78, just a general observation I'm making on this one.

A really hot blonde just passed me.

The music never stopped. They got incredibly sloppy on a lot of versions in 1978, however they have this extended Jam that they started doing that went from 20 seconds to 2 minutes almost, starting at about 3 1/2 minutes into the song. Dave's Picks 7 is an excellent example. And of course there is the lone wheel from 1978 on Dick's Picks 18.

All in all I think 1978 may have been there most inconsistent year of the 70s. Truly a hit-or-miss affair. affair

Anyway it's not what I came here for. The China Rider from Dave's Picks 21, which I affectionately refer to as recommendations from the dead since the man himself dick latvala said that some of the best jamming of 73 occurred in the second set, especially after Here Comes sunshine. Recommendations from the dead. But yeah the China Rider is up there. If road trips and Dick's Picks 12 chinariders are a 10 out of 10 oh, this is at least a nine. Kind of along the same lines of skeleton skaters AKA Dave's Picks 13. Sorry about the mess. Driving with Google Voice.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

So glad you made it man....yep, As he mentioned, Phil was at Red Rocks last week and then somehow got transported back to 1978. Sounds like the Jimmy Herring spaceship got him. I spotted him calling out into the abyss while doing perimeter rides on the carpet, and told him where to go....curious though Phil, if you were able to see the Dead & Co Boulder shows in Boulder before you were teleported? If you did, that must have been one hell of a run?

Widespread Panic - Have always loved these guys, and IMO one of the best live bands around, but they don’t seem to get talked about much on these boards? Anyone have thoughts on that?

2/28/69 Vinyl - it was worth the wait. First of all, any show that’s starts with Morning Dew, followed by a nice run of Pigpen songs is just fine by me. The art work blown up on the box is beautiful with liner notes about the recording and recorder (named Prototype #2, but referred to as a time machine....any thoughts on construction Jim?). The sound is of course excellent recorded on 16Track, with the highlight being for the Jam>Caution towards the end.

KF - meant to say earlier that I loved your Fourth of July post....wish I had your skills! Can I just call you Uncle Gary from now on?

Stoltzfus - glad you got your avatar going

Dennis: Warfield sound is amazing enjoy! I’m hoping for the box set to be the complete run from Warfield. If the sound is that good then Holy Moly!!!

Carlo13 - about spit up my beer with your Strohs comment

DaveRock: Love it, but how do the 80s and 90s fit into your expectations synopsis?....never mind don’t answer that....expectations are just opportunities for disappointment. Something I’m not into either!!!!

Oroborous: more on the Sasquatches in Part 2 of Tales from the Gorge...promise it’s coming soon...stay tuned!

LMG: don’t think I have ever listened to that RT Egypt show.....today perhaps!

Deadhead Brewer: Awesome story....here’s a thought. Being a Deadhead leads me to more real interaction with real people (many times random strangers), than anything else I do, other than work maybe. This is rare these days with all of the technology that we swim in everyday. Harkens back to the “Finding Home” article that I posted the other day. Love the synchronicity stories....like a constant reminder of where home is!

1978 Box - still haven’t opened mine as I still don’t own a CD player, and I already have the digital copies....did listen to the Arrowhead show a day ago, which IMO is the best show of the box....(I may have a little bit of KC bias)....Just love that Wharf Rat...Jerry soars....And the long set in the middle of that heat? Arrowhead was absolutely baking that day, and being the festival type atmosphere with multiple acts the time for them I’m sure was limited, but they delivered in spades. One more thing about this show...I’m not 100% positive but I think my mom may have attended this show. She left us in 2014 so I can’t ask her, but I vaguely remember her talking about being there or maybe others she knew who went. She’s liked music and enjoyed going to concerts, and we talked about this often when I started attending various shows while in high school. She liked the Dead’s music OK, but more casually, just songs she heard on the radio or something...she was never really into the scene so this would have been her only show. I’m going to ask my dad about this, but he never remembers this kind of shit so maybe SOL...LOL!!!

I’ll echo Grateful Han in telling y’all thank you for hanging out...I’m Grateful!!!!

Be kind and Rock On!

KCJ

One more thing....if you haven’t already, don’t forget to pickup your copy of DeadHead Stories from Deadheadstories.org ...best $45 you will ever spend and all goes to charity. I’m about 200 pages in, and the stories are amazing. This beer guzzling hard ass has teared up numerous times.....a couple good Phil stories so far....one lucky Head even had Phil stop and sing him Happy Birthday. He had randomly run into Phil, and all he could think to say is, “Hi Phil, today is my birthday”.....Phil almost walked away but then at the last minute turned around and gave this Deadhead the thrill of their life ....how cool is that......I’m paraphrasing the story. Please pick up a copy and read it for yourself!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Yes... another good one is Winterland 10/21/78 as heard on "From Egypt With Love" Road Trips set. Incredible adrenalin rush when it starts, as I remember.

KCJ-I haven't listened to much from the 80s or 90s recently. I would say that the second Spring 1990 box set always sounds great every time I listen to it.
Also, just going off your last post-you probably know this-its just the way I have read it-the From Egypt With Love Road Trips isn't the Egypt shows-its the highlights from the post Egypt at Winterland the following month. And much better than the shows they commemorate!

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

So......I’m lucky enough where I can wear headphones and actually Listen, like details listen and I’m digging on daverocks suggestion for 78 winterland roadtrips, to Egypt, digging it ,thanx man🤙I’ll definitely have to grab a copy when real gone music releases it. Finally got my vol.3#3 Fillmore east 1970 last week, amazing stuff! I always love the physical copies:)

I did not know that...honestly never looked that close. I’ve listened to the actual Egypt shows digitally...soundboards maybe?, not sure, but not the Road Trips Winterland Egypt. Not sure why, but I’ve not really gotten into the RT series too much. I have them all digitally so that is not the issue. Maybe it’s the mixed reviews on the series or maybe just So much GD (never too much) and not nearly enough time. Anyways that can always be corrected. I will say that the reissued hard copy versions seem a little expensive from Real Gone and that has turned me off on those. However The completist in me will probably nip that problem eventually as well.

Thanks for the info! Sound like some Road Trips in my future!

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Thanks again to Casey Janes for those stellar cosmic directions👆👈👇☝️!”you just got to poke around “!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

To me they are the least attractive series of Dead releases. Many are compilations of runs, and the fact that they exist seems to lessen the chances of those same shows being released in their entirety. This 78 Winterland run being a case in point. They are also housed in too tight, miserable looking brown cardboard covers.

But there is a lot of great music in the series. The one that has highlights from 6/16/74 and 6/18/74 is brilliant-a must have, I would say!

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...I agree , I prefer full shows but this Pick is beautiful for my liking....The group was feeling totally jazzed when they got back from Egypt, and Bill Graham, who had been on the trip abroad as a spectator, rather than as promoter, wanted to give the band’s hometown fans a taste of the Egypt experience by hosting a series of five shows at Winterland that would include a slide show depicting the group’s amazing adventures in Cairo and beyond...
A third, "bonus" disc was included with early shipments of the album. The bonus disc contains songs recorded live at Winterland on October 17 and 21, 1978.

Road Trips Volume 1 Number 4 is subtitled From Egypt with Love. The Winterland concerts of October 17, 18, 20, 21, and 22, 1978, were the first shows played by the Dead after their concerts near the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt a month earlier. Songs from the Egypt performances are contained in the album Rocking the Cradle: Egypt 1978, which was released on the same day as Road Trips Volume 1 Number 4.

Road Trips Volume 1 Number 4 includes a few minutes of music from an audience recording, edited into the mix to complete several songs that were cut on the master soundboard tapes. These songs are "Sugaree", "Stella Blue", "Sugar Magnolia", and "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad".

Track listing :
Disc one
October 21, 1978
"Sugaree" (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 13:40
"Passenger" (Phil Lesh, Peter Monk) – 3:39
"Stagger Lee" (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:28
"I Need A Miracle" (Bob Weir, John Barlow) – 7:37
"Got My Mojo Working" > (Preston Foster) – 12:12
"The Other One" > (Weir) – 7:32
"Stella Blue" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:53
"Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter) – 8:48
"U.S. Blues" (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:42
Disc two
October 22, 1978
"Ollin Arageed" > (Hamza El Din) – 3:30
"Deal" (Garcia, Hunter) – 6:28
"Peggy-O" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 9:10
"Jack Straw" (Weir, Hunter) – 6:32
"Scarlet Begonias" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:44
"Fire on the Mountain" (Mickey Hart, Hunter) – 12:40
"Not Fade Away" > (Norman Petty, Buddy Holly) – 21:43
"Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead) – 7:56

*Bonus Disc
October 21, 1978
"Bertha" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 7:17
"Good Lovin'" (Arthur Resnick, Rudy Clark) – 7:49
"Estimated Prophet" > (Weir, Barlow) – 14:52
"He's Gone" (Garcia, Hunter) – 10:35
October 17, 1978
"If I Had the World to Give" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:40
"Around and Around" (Chuck Berry) – 9:24

Grateful Dead/
Jerry Garcia – lead guitar, vocals
Donna Jean Godchaux – vocals
Keith Godchaux – keyboards
Mickey Hart – drums
Bill Kreutzmann – drums
Phil Lesh – electric bass
Bob Weir – rhythm guitar, vocals
*Guest musicians!
Hamza El Din – oud, vocals on "Ollin Arageed"
John Cipollina – guitar on "Not Fade Away" and "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad"
Lee Oskar – harmonica on "Got My Mojo Working", "The Other One", "Stella Blue", and "Sugar Magnolia"
🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Just finished listening to the Egypt 78 road trips on Spotify & yes! Thanx daverocks. Listening to the other one again as I write ( I should be working, lol) , Jerry’s tone is on and that chug along rocking in sync machine sound they have going was built for songs like this!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I ordered the Real Gone re-release of Road Trips Vol. 3 No. 3 from amazon in early June, still hadn't shipped, now shows as possibly unavailable, and I see that Phil has received a copy. Glad I noticed that post as I have now ordered it from Real Gone directly and cancelled the amazon order. Hoping it will show up soon. Just a heads up for anyone else who may have ordered that through amazon.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Just finally got mine on Monday. Ripped and listened last evening, nice!
Can’t remeber if we ordered from real gone or Amazon?
They delayed because of some warehouse snafu?
Nice they don’t come in that scratchy cardboard, but it’s a shame they don’t have bonus discs....
Although one of my plastic case hinges was broken, lame!
After first superficial listen I’d say it’s comparable to Dave’s 30 except they seem a bit more ready for the first show and though the disc 3’s are both awesome, so far I’d have to give the nod to 1/3....
Also, this one has more new material....

Hope you get yours soon!

Welcome new FNG! Careful on that magic carpet!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I too pre-ordered that Road Trips (5-5-70) from Real Gone and got the e-mail around the original release date that it would be delayed. Mine showed up at the house (Chicago) this past Tuesday.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I wonder... if they announce the new box during MUATM, does that mean there will be a pre-order email the following day? Like others mentioned, it seems odd that they would announce it first there...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

will be announced on July 16th at 10 am.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

All the 1978 talk brought me out of the weeds. I have never been a completist with the Grateful Dead releases-- I have skipped plenty of releases over the years (box sets, Dicks Picks, Road Trips and skipped 4 Dave's Picks before doing subscription in year 3 and subsequent years). I have surely skipped some good ones-- especially some Dicks Picks that I should have in my collection, but hindsight.... If given the choice, I will almost always skip 1976 shows, the 1974 compilation releases, anything post-Brent, and most box sets because of cost and familial responsibilities.

That said, a couple months back someone on here did a listing of releases by year. I am missing releases from almost all eras/years. I almost never skip a Pigpen release (kick myself for not getting the Kings Beach Bowl 1968 release). For every year sans Pig with a significant # of releases, I skipped some-- except for 1978. I found that I have every 1978 release they have put out.

So, 1978 must be one of my favorite years. I think it goes back to my tape trading days. One of my first tapes was Winterland 10/22/78 and I soon got 7/8/78 (my 8th birthday) set 1 and encore. Both stellar shows and I can say that the Scarlet/Fire through Going Down the Road Feeling Bad on 10/22/78 is some of my very favorite Grateful Dead. I absolutely love the From Egypt With Love release. Not much to say about 7/8/78 that hasn't been said (I got KISS stuff at my 8th birthday party) other than I never had the second set and WOW.

Dick's Picks 18 February 1978 is seared in my mind. Another top notch Scarlet/Fire, a long Samson (broken string extends the intro jam), top of the line Truckin' and a rockin' Other One with a screaming Jerry jam in the middle.

I could go on and on (the Lazy Lightning/Supplication from DiP 25), but why 1978 for me? The sets are more predictable than 1977, many times the band seems to run out of steam after Drums even on official releases and Bobby was doing his experiments with slide guitar in front of 10,000 people nightly. Well, I think that I overlook the valleys and feel that the peaks are so significant that they truly elevate the rest of the show. I have skipped every box because of cost-- except July 1978. I couldn't pass that one up. And I love it-- and agree that the 'hidden' gem of the box is 7/1/78. They had to have melted some country and western faces that day. Just a blistering set in front of what was surely an interesting crowd.

That said, there have been some weaker 1978 releases-- DaP 7 and the MacArthur Court come to mind. Both are overrated, in my opinion, but am happy to have them in the collection.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by unkle sam

those two dead horses: '79 for DaP 31 and fall '72 for the box.

A '79 for DaP 31 would seem to be the first since DiP 5 from 1996 (???!!!), at least according to my shelves. (Perhaps I have missed a release or two?)

A fall '72 box would fly off the shelves while July 78 and PNW are still in stock.

In 5 daze, we'll know about DaP 31 and in 23 daze we'll know the box.

Yowzer! I sure hope I haven't jinxed anything...

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Thanks for the feedback on Road Trips Fillmore release. Before I ordered I had sent an email to Real Gone asking if the release was currently available, and the response stated: "We finally got it in. Retail release date remains unclear as a large portion of our stock is still missing. But you can order from our site now." Just in case anyone was interested.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

The series was ok.. but had some spectacular must haves.. As daverock mentioned. I bet Mr. Jack Straw has them ranked..

Some really do kick some serious ass though, off the top of my head:

- Valentines Day 68. A stunner. Don't forget to pick your lower jaw off the ground when the final chords of Midnight Hour dissipate or you will have a mouthful of dirt and/or gravel when the spell finally wears off.

- 5/15/70 (on sale now). The best sounding 1970 acoustic stuff released thus far, and if that wasn't enough to seal the deal a couple awesome electric sets for good measure. (Well.. there are a few acoustic songs on Bears Choice, but these sound every bit as good).

- 12/28/79 (the other Betty recorded 79 release that escaped the rapid fire synapse exchanges of the famed HendrixFreak)

- 5/23&24/69 Big Rock Pow Wow. Wow is right! With every listen I like it more.

- 6/16&18/74. As Daverock mentioned.. not to be missed. A jazz masterpiece and a Grateful Dead classic. Contains my personal favorite Eyes of the World (or at least the last one I listened to).

- 11/21/73. Goodness! What a great show.. has a little 11/20 just because..

- A summer and fall from '71. Not sure which I like the best.. Summer has a Dark Star>Bird Song and Fall has the Dark Star > El Paso > Dark Star.. a real Bobby Dazzler to be sure.

- 6/9/76 (and a little from 6/12). I think it has Sixtus' fav. Eyes of the World and the only official release (so far) with Mission in the Rain.

- Bonus discs.. some of these are to die for.

Honorable Mentions include From Egypt with Love, Spectrum 82, Fall 77, well.. all the rest I guess.

They did go overboard on the recycled packaging concept. Enclosing them in apparently rough-cut recycled brown grocery bags so dark brown on some the artwork could barely be seen. Not to fear though.. they also sourced and mixed in some barely used sandpaper to stiffen up the covers and retain that scratchy, fine grit freshness that delicate CD's just love! And apparently when they were shredding up the paper bags a few of the master reels cut all chopped up too. What else would explain chopping up some of the shows the way they did (thinking 74, summer 71, 79 and a few others).

________
(sorry for the long post, for those under time restraints skip the jib/jab above and go directly to the executive summary below)
________

I guess in summary.. under-rated.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

After all the comments on the bass enhancement for DaP 24 I decided to revisit that one - I have to say that while the bass is certainly prominent at points, I don't really find it distracting and it is really a good show. I am running a straight 2 channel set up with some large floorstanding speakers and no sub-woofer, which may be a factor. There is generally something about a sub-woofer that is uncomfortable to my ears and the large floorstanding speakers have plenty of bass.

JiminMD, nice summary of the road trips stuff. Have to say that the 12/28/79 show is one of my favorite releases from '79, and that 11/15/71 Austin show is also a highlight. Also dig the 3/31-4/1/88 release as I was at both of those shows, so that adds an extra element for me.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

After reading Jim's post I feel I was a little hasty in dismissing this series. I agree, all releases mentioned are superb - 2/14/68, and all the bonus tracks included in that release in particular-but lots of great music tucked away in there. I suppose I have overlooked them due to the box sets, Daves Picks, 30 Trips etc that have come out since the Road Trips disappeared.
To state the obvious, it's incredible how many great releases we have had over the last 27 years or so. I never dreamed I would have access to all this when I first read of the tapes back around 1983 in the Blair Jackson book "The Music Never Stopped." I wondered then if I would ever get to hear any of the live music he recommended at the back of the book. Yes...and how!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Just now checking out the recorded live stream of this show...through the first set and it’s hot...a little elevated from the first night IMO

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I can't think of 1978 without this show! I have posted many times before about this show and it's unique Second Set.. Nothing else like it from 78 due to Mr. Weir being a little "tardy" for the second set. Probably will never be released due to the patching that goes on. After a long Jam to open up the set we get the first Jack-A-Roe of the year. Also a Shakedown into If I had the World to Give... That is all, until i bring it up again next year.... sorry again bob t

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Nice write up on Road Trips Jimbo.

Still a mystery why there was no 1972.

Austin 11/15/71 is my favorite. Complete show, Immaculate recording, immaculate performance, cool album art, has dark star, opens with a trucking with such awesome Reverb and volume to Jerry's guitar it sounds like he plugged in in my living room. I think there's a Brokedown Palace on there too. It's like a greatest hits record. Bonus disc totally awesome, especially the China cat which was missing from the main set.

1974 wall of sound is my second favorite. Awesome recording for 1974, perhaps the best audio representation in my humble opinion.

I would like 1973 more if it weren't for this buzz that I hear throughout a large bit of it.

1978 is a must-have in my book because it has some of the only 70s Godchaux era Shakedown Street material. Lookout Stagger Lee! Also has that renowned Stella Blue which I'm still saving my Virgin listen for. I also really dig the Scarlet fire with the delay pedal that either Jerry or Bobby uses I forget.

Oh cool. My car has Supernatural properties. I should have just sideswiped a very long concrete guardrail as I was texting, but I looked up and turned out of it I guess just in time. I say out of it because I really was halfway in to the concrete. Like my car can pass through concrete. Maybe it occurred while I was saying the word Godchaux and Keith didn't want me to go the way he went. That was crazy. I got to go contemplate what just happened.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Keithfan2112, dig your posts, but I can't be the only one thinking it would be a shame if you careened into a guardrail, or oncoming traffic, just to provide us with another cool post.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Casey Jane's Addiction, you're damn right it was hot. Best D&C show I've attended so far. Last year's closer didn't have the mojo. Friday night, despite the irony of shutting down for an hour long rain and hail deluge during Cold Rain And Snow, wasn't stellar either. But Saturday night had a spark. We got hammed on Shakedown Street, my friend bought an overpriced if cool earring, then meandered up to about ten rows back, floor, on Bob's side.

Everyone around us was so cool... really a great crowd vibe that night. I never moved during the entire set, not to pee, not to get a drink, or anything else. This is highly unusual. I could feel the magic, and wouldn't have missed a minute for anything. This music is alive and well, and Bob, Billy and Mickey are killing it. Mayer is amazing. He doesn't come on strong, he eases himself into these songs and they fit him like a glove. Oteil had that Amazonian warrior facepaint on again, and he was on a whole 'nother level. I'm sure Bill and Mickey would say they prefer playing with him to Phil. That's not a knock on Phil, it just is what it is.

Buy the cd or download or whatever off nugs.net It's outstanding. And, fingers crossed, let's hope they do it again and again and again next year and for years after. There's a nice feature in this month's Guitar World on Bob and his new D'Angelico. He says it will take "years" for him to get everything out of it. Bless him.

Saw Rose Hill Drive play a stellar Led Zeppelin set at the Fox Theater in Boulder last night. Those kids got talent.

\m/

....made me plop it in. Didn't hear it when it first came out, and I don't hear it now. I'm only 51, and my hearing is fine. Maybe I need to upgrade my speakers to hear it. Oh well. Along with the rush of the drivers it is.
Speaking of drivers. Don't text and drive keithfan. We can wait.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Entirely agree with Jim's remarks on the Road Trips series. Very much underrated.

Some additional comment on 5/15/70 - the HDCD encoding is superior, opening up the dynamic range considerably. What is especially neat, is to find (preferably lossless) copies of the two New Riders sets, which feature Jerry on pedal steel and Mickey on drums. One highlight, Bobby joins in for a country style version of Me & My Uncle in the late NRPS set, harmonizing the lead vocal with Marmaduke. The Dead's sets are just missing a few songs, but it is great to fill in the missing material, put it in the right sequence with the NRPS in the right place, and enjoy one of the few complete "Evening with the Grateful Dead" circulating. Works out to 3 hours (early show) plus 4 hours (late show). Incidentally if you do this (ripping the CDs), the HDCD encoding will be preserved so long as you make no modifications whatsoever to the audio (e.g. equalizing).

That sounds like a worth endeavor, Ziffle.. I think I am going to consolidate what I have and rebuild in the same order myself. I do seem to have lossless versions of the NRPS material.

Good thinking.

One other thing about the Road Trips.. perhaps it's just me, but I think somewhere in the middle of this series, Mr. Norman figured it all out.. I think it's when he mastered his game.

PM me if you want the missing parts.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html