• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 8 months

Another great extant evening with is 6/24/70 especially the late show with an intense, driving, electric set. Audience recordings unfortunately on one level, on the other hand, they capture the sound perfectly (and as to that, I speak from personal knowledge).

Thank you Jim for the offer, I do have all of 5/15.

And Vguy, nothing at all against the later period Dead, but perhaps if you take an evening and listen to an entire "Evening with the Grateful Dead" (with appropriate set breaks natch) in one sitting, you might at least appreciate why old timers like me find the early period to be one of explosive creativity, as compared with the later, and admittedly, more musically and technically mature decades. I suggest 6/24/70 if the audio doesn't bother you.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I first heard about a 40 minute snippet of this show on the GDH, show #406. DG actually apologized for not having a better quality tape. Somewhere out in this I believe that a crisp full SB recording exists. It remains one of my all time favorite radio moments. Another one was when DG introduced me to 2/18/71 oooooooooh that jam out of Dark Star> Wharf Rat to this day still sends shivers up my spine.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

....my experience with David Gans and an Evening With The Grateful Dead is embarrassing lacking to say the least. On my (Hell In A) Bucket list.
However....The Berkeley Truckin' from the 13:30 mark too the 16:00 one is just Philling my cup. Time for some tea and weed.

Not the band(s) Nirvana, the new 2/28/69 vinyl box, which I have just ordered. This will be the first time I have heard the whole show, apart from on my ancient bootleg, so hooray for a bear. Last years 2/27/69 was the release of the year for me. Even the look of it. When I tell friends about the vinyl I have recently bought, that is the one I show them to provoke the wow factor.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...another 1978 ‘Primo’Performance...🙏❤️😎

* “The Closing of Winterland is a four-CD live album by the Grateful Dead. It contains the complete concert performed on December 31, 1978. The concert was also released as a two-disc DVD. The title derives from the fact that it was the last concert in San Francisco's Winterland Arena, which was shut down shortly thereafter. The Dead celebrated the closing as an approximately five-hour-long party (complete with breakfast with the audience at dawn) and invited some guests including guitarist John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service and Ken Kesey as well as actor Dan Aykroyd who provided the midnight countdown. It was certified Double Platinum by the RIAA on December 15, 2003 under the category of longform video, selling 200,000 units. The New Riders of the Purple Sage and Blues Brothers opened the show.”
*Pre-ordered DVD sets included the bonus CD "New Year's Eves at Winterland". It contains an additional nine tracks recorded on New Year's Eve in 1970, 1971, 1972 and 1977, another golden gem passed on from the Gods...
* Bonus disc – "New Year's Eves at Winterland"
Recordings from other New Year's Eve concerts at Winterland:
"Easy Wind" (Hunter) – 9:35 (December 31, 1970)
"Jam" > (Grateful Dead) – 2:07 (December 31, 1971)
"Black Peter" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:42 (December 31, 1971)
"Playing in the Band" (Weir, Hart, Hunter) – 18:26 (December 31, 1972)
"Lazy Lightning" > (Weir, Barlow) – 3:36 (December 31, 1977)
"Supplication" (Weir, Barlow) – 5:35 (December 31, 1977)
"Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter) – 11:59 (December 31, 1977)
"Scarlet Begonias" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:48 (December 31, 1977)
"Fire on the Mountain" (Hart, Hunter) – 10:06 (December 31, 1977)

*Plus Additional musicians
Bill Graham – master of ceremonies
Dan Aykroyd – midnight countdown
John Cipollina – guitar
Ken Kesey – thunder machine
Matthew Kelly – harmonica
Lee Oskar – harmonica
Greg Errico – drums

...Amazing Release, #5 Stars for this Deadhead! Have a grateful day everyone, god bless! 🙏❤️🤠

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Top of the morning!
I bought the winterland 1973 box set with the bonus disc, but unfortunately it was used and didn’t come with the box and booklet( plus the little trinkets) but I got it for a buck 50 so I accepted that flaw. By chance does anyone out there have just the box they’d be willing to let go, & if you have the booklet and trinkets that would be awesome but the box alone will satisfy me.?

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

It’s a dark star kind of morning before work for me this Friday, 6/24/73 Portland & 5/15/70 Fillmore east🙃
The sound on this RT v.3#3 5/15/70 is superb! Clear , warm, solid!
And then I went to 1/2/70, “ repeat after me Bobby “ 😂! Brought my CD player and disc 3 from DaP30! Yes! Macintosh should make a portable superior hdcd player for dead. Net, just a thought 🤔

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Don't worry about Keithfan. I've heard from a highly trusted source with far reaching capabilities and a keen eye for transgressions that Keithfan employs the speech to text feature of his computer machine to bring us his various theses, theorems and judgments when piloting his motor carriage.

I wish the (other) powers that be would turn up oteil's bass. I've struggled to hear what he's doing at the D&C show's i've attended. One of the things I love about the dead is how you can always hear what everyone is doing. If distortion is used, its used for a purpose. Not as a crutch. Phi's sound has always been able to cut through the din. I haven't got that with Oteil.

I know, two different things, tone and volume. But oteil and compnay need to figure it out.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...12/28/79 Oakland, Road Trips Vol.1 #2
This is where I feel” dead and company “ are at in performance style & Set-List... love’n it all!
1979= Primo! Lol 🙏❤️😉

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Jerry Lawson, lead singer of The Persuasions. They did some nice work with Dead tunes a few years back.

Also R.I.P. Rip. Torn, that is.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by bolo24

We seem to be getting a lot of these lately.. I feel old.

I didn't hear about Jerry Lawson, but did hear about Rip Torn. I liked many of his movies, perhaps his epitaph should read, "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball." ….wwwhap, dinggg….. Any other questions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peUyLXrgYZ0

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 5 months

Both DaP7 (4/24/78) & DaP15 (4/22/78) are 3rds for their respective years and obviously from the same tour…I seem to recall they were part of an aborted 4/78 Box Set also…could another show from this tour/aborted Box be a candidate for DaP31? 4/21/78 seems like a likely choice (and yes Dennis this is the show with the 'Stayin' Alive' tease!) and clocks in at approximately 160 mins. or 2 CDs, leaving 1 CD for bonus material…4/18/78 looks interesting, if only for the 2nd set: 'Scarlet' > 'Dancing' > 'Drums' > 'Samson' , 'Terrapin' > 'Around'.

Both 'Scarlet' & 'Dancing' clock in at almost 14 mins. ea. and could feature a unique transition jam. There would be enough time left for a few 1st set songs as well. 4/19/78 has a typical set list for the tour, but as always performance rules the day. Another show for those who want 1978. Since none of my predictions have ever panned out, why spoil a good thing? lol

Last 5 + 1:
Fairport Convention - What We Did On Our Holidays
Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
Sugar Pie DeSanto - Go Go Power: The Complete Chess Singles (1961-1966) Etta James cousin if interested.
Big Bill Broonzy - Good Time Tonight
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
Meat Puppets - Up On The Sun

Last 5 GD:
DP33 - 10/10/76 Oakland, Ca. opening for The Who
Archive - 5/1/70 Alfred, N.Y. 12 song acoustic set
Archive - 4/26/69 Chicago, Il. doing battle with The VU - a portion of the show makes up part of DP26.
E72 - 4/11/72 Newcastle, England
Spring '90 - 3/24/90 Albany, N.Y.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by DaveStrang

“ I’ve got better runs in my shorts” lol
If only there had been professional dodgeball, I’d have been a superstar!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Rip torn was a great comedian. Famous for saying in a swishy kind of way, "Frisco going to Frisco". Will be missed. P.S. Not sluring the word Swishy.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Ok I'm ready for beer. I just finished my Cream of wheat!

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Stroh’s gives you the runs.

Ha!
I tied together two unrelated posts.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I'm in an '81 kind of groove why not Normanize 9/26/81? For 2 reasons one being it was my 16th birthday & 2 its a rather unusual second set. Anytime you get a Playin>Bertha set opener you know it's going to be a most interesting set of music.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I just read the Earthquake article in the New York times and these foreshocks as they say could be a warning. You live in this area? What is it like in the public? Are people still on eggshells? What are you thoughts. Be safe.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

$90 out the door including tax from a local brick and mortar.

Morning Dew sounds great so far. Going to spin side 1, then go outside for a while with the dog. Once the sun has set I’ll be back on the couch to spin the rest of the show and watch TDF on mute.

Let’s stick with the 80’s as the third release and go with 3-9-81. We know there are good sounding recordings of that show.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

As mentioned in Part 1 of the story, BIL (Brother In Law), and I had just gotten off the bus which had dropped us off all the way at the back of the lot. This was approximately ¼ - ½ mile from the entrance to the venue, which wasn’t so bad except for we were carrying a 12 pack (minus the 2 beers we drank on the bus) in a large bucket filled with ice. The lot looked to be almost completely full at this point with more cars cramming in. The atmosphere reminded me a lot of the tailgates we have here in KC at Arrowhead, except for folks were decked out in Dead gear, Tie Dye, and other various costumes & hippie wear. We trudged along, checking out the scene while I tried to call a friend of mine named Chuck who I had met the past year on Dead.net. Chuck is a KC native who has spent the last few decades living in the Seattle area and started sporadically touring with the band last year. Chuck and his crew of 7 tour buds were camping in the main public camping area at the Gorge which was visible to BIL and I from where we stood, but way up on a hill and very far away. I’m not sure how far it was, but it looked like a mile or more, up-hill, and with the heavy bucket weighing us down, we didn’t think it was worth the walk as by the time we got up there and found Chuck , we would have to start walking back or risk not getting into the show on time, which would have been entirely unacceptable. So, we opted not to take this particular trip. This turned out to be a catch 22 as we later found out that the camping area is where Shakedown was located at The Gorge which would mean no Shakedown for us this weekend, and also the logistics made it so I wasn’t ever able to meet up with Chuck  (next time my friend)……..but we ended up being correct about getting into the show on time, as many folks were still in line and missed some of the first set even after arriving at the entrance at least an hour before start time.

When we arrive near the entrance, the place was a zoo. There were long lines already formed at will call and at the VIP/media entrance. We already had our tickets so this was not a problem for us. We did not have VIP entrance passes or wristbands for the VIP drink area inside, and being that Shakedown was no where in site, we decided to post up and take a seat on these large boulders that separate the parking from the entrance to the venue. As it turns out, this was a very fortuitous decision. There was already an old Deadhead biker dude who had done the same, so we cracked some beers and started shooting the shit with him. Turns out he was at Woodstock and saw the entire show including the Dead and the closing Jimmy Hendrix act. Wow, this was the first person I had ever met who could make this claim! About this time, another dude came around selling Stealie stickers for $1, so we checked those out, but nah we don’t want one, and as the dude walked off I said….”hold on a second wait! Would you be interested in trading one of your stickers for one of my buttons?” After checking out the buttons he was quick to agree, and so my button adventure had officially begun!!! I turned to Woodstock biker guy and said would you like one too? “Yeah, I’ll take one” he said with a big smile, and pinned it to his jacket. Holy shit….that was cool! I felt really good at that moment and started looking for others whom I could give away a button!

As the song says, Once in a while you can get shown the light….and while the reason that I came was most certainly the music, followed by the communion with 20,000+ like-minded folks & freaks, giving away the buttons was without question my strangest of places if you look at it right. I made a few trades with them; a little bar of homemade soap shaped like a dancing bear, and a couple of stickers, but mostly I just gave them away. I only had 100 per night, so I was somewhat selective in who I gave them to. I chose people who had on Grate outfits, really cool Tie Dyes, or who showed a lot of spirit through good dancing, good deeds or just general happy nature and good vibe that I could feel. This was so much fun, and felt so good, I can’t even begin to describe it. Tears me up a little right now just thinking back to some of the moments. The smiles after giving these buttons were big, full and truly grateful for such a tiny trinket. I can’t tell you the number of people that would hold it up to their hearts, smile huge and then look me in the eye and thank me with all sincerity, after which some of them would give me a big hug like we were long lost friends or family and had known each other for years. Word was getting out a little, and some folks were starting to come up to me and either offer me trades and or ask outright if they could have a button. I didn’t once turn anyone down who asked for either. One filthy looking hippie dude came up to me and asked me if I would like to trade him for a used tube of CBD infused chap-stick, and I answered yes after hearing the word trade! “What, wait hold on a second…..no way man, I said laughing, after realizing what I had just agreed to. Keep your chap-stick and just take a button for free dude”! He then took the button, smiled that big smile I was getting used to, then like a true head, dead pan asked, “Do you want to hit my joint”?, as he held up a half-smoked fired up spliff. “Fuck yeah”, I say, taking the joint for a couple of puffs while we all laugh our asses off at the hilarity of the moment. Only at a Dead show, ha, ha….laughing now just thinking about it!

Much has already been said about the line at The Gorge, and I have to agree the situation at the gate was in true Dead fashion, a complete clusterfuck. As early as 3 hours before (but probably significantly longer), the official start time of the show, we noticed that lines to the normal entrance were already started to form. We were not far from the entrance sitting on our boulders and it just so happened that the line formed almost directly into our spot, so without even having to move from our little party spot, we found ourselves already in line and maybe only a half of a city block from the entrance. Aside from tiny movements in the line we basically were able to stay in this spot until they started letting people in, which was maybe 1.5 hours before show time. BIL and I made friends with some of the folks around us in line, drank on our IPA’s, smoked a few joints along with our oil pipes, and I gave away buttons. Before we knew it, the line started to slowly move forward, and our party moved with it.

As we inched our way slowly toward the entrance, I started to get the munchies, so I figured now was just as good time as any to have the first serving of veggies. I pulled out the Wild Willie’s Reserve Joint tube where I had stored them and split them up equal, 2 parts for me and 1 part for BIL. I ate mine and then handed BIL his share which he happily gobbled down. I had asked some folks in line earlier about security, and specifically marijuana being that it is legal in Washington. Due to legality, no one seemed to think it would be an issue and so I took no security precautions whatsoever as we approached security, and left all of my pre-rolled joints (3 or 4 left at this point) in the plastic tubes that they came in. Boy were they wrong, and was I stupid!!! We were getting really close now and I still had a few unopened beers in the bucket (BIL is not much of a beer drinker). I gave away a couple of “miracle” beers, popped a top and guzzled one myself, paying little attention to what was going on in front of me at security. When we finally got to the metal detectors, my idiot plan was just to openly put all of my shit into the tubs they offer to pass around the metal detectors and so that’s exactly what I did. My lighter, plastic tubes full of pre-rolled joints, tube of veggies, wallet, phone, basically everything went into that fucking plastic tub. The next thing I know the dude is rifling through my shit in the plastic tub while stating “you can’t take this in”. One by one he reads each tube and says sorry this isn’t allowed, and then he yells “BLACK BAG, BLACK BAG”…..this chick then walks up with an already full trash bag and the dude drops all of my shit while she calmly smiles at me….”No, you can’t…..but that’s my….” I start to say, but it was too late. FUCK, FUCK, FUCK!
BIL has a similar experience, as did a lot of other folks in line. They were going through everything; blankets, bags, jackets etc….even dumping out full boxes of cigarettes to find the hidden joints inside. The one thing they were not doing is full pat downs, so everything left in the pockets was fine. Luckily, I had forgotten to put my oil pen in the plastic tub and BIL had purposefully omitted his so those got through. Since the tube with the last helping of veggies was not sealed, the guy slid the tube open, I guess he must of looked at the empty side or just didn’t notice because he politely handed that tube back to me. Tragedy narrowly averted there.

Now being robbed of our goods we regrouped, quickly took inventory of what we had left which was very little and congratulated each other on not being arrested. As my good friend Jeff would say who designed the buttons, Onward!!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

A "burned"copy of Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings + Bonus. I made it for someone who no longer needs it. First to PM me. I have an extra book for it as well.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by carlo13

Damn, hadn't heard that til I saw Carlo's post. Guy was hilarious on the Larry Sanders Show. Another reason he's a legend is a drunken binge he went on several years ago had him outdoing Lee Marvin. Marvin was a notorious drunk, and one night, plastered, as usual, he drove himself home and found his keys wouldn't open the door, so he broke in, only to find out he had moved several years before, and the current owner was pretty pissed. Well, how does Rip top that? By doing the same thing, only he had stopped at a bank, and broken into the bank in the middle of the night thinking it was his house. Also, he was armed at the time, because, of course he was. How he got just probation is a sad tale for the American legal system, but I hope the old Salty Dog rests in peace.

https://youtu.be/4uWXcuu5MY0

Also, my favorite Artie line from Larry Sanders may be from what became the first episode, The Garden Weasel when he says to a new female network executive, "Don't take this as a threat, but I killed a man like you in Korea. Hand to hand."

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I heard about the bank incident. Funny as hell.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

The bank that Rip broke into looked a lot like a regular house.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Still funny. I think we all have a lampshade on the head story in our past, right?

Stroahs, uuuuuuuuhhhh, sounds like a headache! Don’t think we ever purposely drank that swill even in the young, dumb, poor, most ounces for the dollar days of no micro brew, even if we could find any, we probably couldn’t afford it, or at least wouldn’t “waste” that much money lol.
They used to send me into the store (bunch of wusses) at ten to 3, couldn’t by beer after three and the parties then usually went on until mid morning, so we’d make a beer run to stock up, so we’d all be trippin and I’d be the one elected to go in cause I could still figure out “most once’s for the dollar” in a reasonable amount of time, and composure, that wouldn’t freak out the old lady, Fran I think her name was, into calling the fuzz etc, in fact over the years we sorta got to know each other as, ahem, we were very regular late night customers, and don’t think anyone back then would of been sporting extra electric tie dye whilst beaming the “I have enough energy to light up N.Y.C.” Cheshire Cat grin/pupils etc....but in typical Deadhead fashion we’d always be real polite and chat her up a bit as I’m sure it could be pretty boring at times.........man, it’s funny the things you can get used to, the things then that we’re just a norm that now I can’t even fathom doing!
Which reminds me, ppsssssstttttttt, ahhh, just cracked the first golden yummy of the WE; a nice frosty North Coast Old Rasputin, not usually a summer choice, but I dropped it and the seal came partially undone, and well “waste not, want not” etc and well it’s actually tasting pretty dam tasty in this chilly AC, especially thinking about all the nasty swill of our past, and hey, maybe that bottle fell of the shelf for a reason..........whooooaaa! Blossom!
Got turned on to Oscars Can-O-bliss last D&C WE.....perhaps new favorite summer beer, yum will have to try more this WE!

CJ, hee-hee, thanks for the tour tale! The times they may be a changing, but old habits die hard, and a, most of these venues have pretty stern warning lists of “NO” etc......no fun allowed! Aaaaaaaaaa, what’s up Doc? FU bitches, or as Old Jack used to say “avoid authority” and go through life like a ghost. These words have saved my ass many times over the decades!
So in my best Chef voice “so all you chilrens never ever assume anything is legal” especially if it’s the important “items” that you just can’t boogie without. But “oh, oh, what I want to know is”........no not that, the rest of the story, because you said something in the first chapter about “we didn’t pay attention to the bus” or something........which I’m sure I’m not the only one here who has aaa, had difficulty finding [you fill in the blank] after a show 😉

“LAMPSHDES......in the past” What you talking about Willis! I’m sporting one of my Pedro designer line as we speak!
Ok, tonight’s performance will be 7/12/89........Awesome Summer Friday night, great Dead, great beer, ......Dooooooo, just realized we’re a tad light on the Big Smoke, Rat turds!!....well just have to hit the seeds and stems box like the olden days! Ok, nuff ramblin, in the words of our Amigo JS....ONWARD!! Forward, never straight!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Sucking on a blood orange wheat lager tall boy. The brewery is I mile from my apt. . I consider it exercise walking to get beer. Package store is obsolete as of now. Still can't find strawberry beer. Mabey it a west coast thing.

Speaking of seeds and stems......
How’s bout a little of THE OOOLLLLLDDDDD COMANDER!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGsq1K7f_yc

EDIT;
Carlo....that Strawbeery Daze is a non-distributed, once a year to coincide with the town of Glenwood Springs CO annually WE festival...called, The Starwberry Festival....so the only way to get some is to go there and git sum!
Glad your working out while enjoying the nectar of the Gods.......personally I prefer 16 oz curls 😀

Speaking of seeds and stems......
How’s bout a little of THE OOOLLLLLDDDDD COMANDER!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vGsq1K7f_yc

EDIT;
Carlo....that Strawbeery Daze is a non-distributed, once a year to coincide with the town of Glenwood Springs CO annually WE festival...called, The Starwberry Festival....so the only way to get some is to go there and git sum!
Glad your working out while enjoying the nectar of the Gods.......personally I prefer 16 oz curls 😀

The back of the 2-28-69 vinyl box says Plangent Process.
It doesn’t say that on the back of the 2-27-69 vinyl box.
Hmmmm.......
Plangentizing the reels of previous releases?
Good call. Get it all Plangentized and backed up digitally in multiple geographic locations.
After all of FW 69 is out on vinyl can we expect a digital rerelease of the Box in Plangentized and remastered form?

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by bolo24

Even though one show is a Dick’s Pick and 2 others were packaged as a Road Trips (🙄😒) I still think MSG 1990 would be a doozy of a box.

As far as Dave’s 31, 79-81 seems logical. I wouldn’t mind a 91 show, 4-1 with filler from 3-31 would be mighty nice. Although the Samson and eyes from 3-31 were filler on a DP. Does that make it not possible or less possible? Probably. Who knows, bring it on!

Too funny! When I was a kid (this was probably very early seventies) my pops used to give me 2 dollars to ride up the street to the neighborhood convenience store and get him a pack of smokes and a sixer of that fine French beer “Jzobel” lol....I can still see the pyramid stack in the back of the store with the sickly green cans and they’d have these big Shazam burst stickers with 99c.....not even worth space in the cooler! Lol
So 2 bucks for beer, smokes and a whole bunch left over for baseball/football cards (my reward!) must of been quite the sight riding home on my bike with all that in the front basket! But it was different then and still a “neighborhood” and the owner knew us etc......

Plagent redo of FW box, boo yah count me in!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

So due to the recent hubbub around here, for the last couple weeks, I have also been on the look out for some strawberry beer an have found nothing. So after reading the last few posts tonight, I was feeling kinda thirsty, but no beer in the fridge. Down to the local liquor store and guess what I’m drinking on now. Yes sirs, Strawberry Rhubarb Sour Ale from Great Divide, and brewed in your back yard Oroborous, or at least somewhere close in Denver so within reach. Maybe you can provide. Tastebud comparison for us with the Glenwood special that you’ve been talkin about? I have to say, I think this one is pretty damn tasty. I like the can as well! It’s black with pink flamingos under a pink marijuana leaf, or maybe that’s a palm tree?....no matter, I like it and bought 12 of them for my weekend at the lake listening to some GOGD and hanging out with the family!!!

Peace all...have a great evening!

KCJ

And Oroborous: the rest of the tale is coming. You should know my friend, it’s important not to consume them too quickly!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Don't hold your breath on a full box set reissue of Fillmore. They committed to a ltd issue and so far their word unlike so many others means something

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Bravissimo CaseyJanes! Great 2nd installment to your Gorge Saga. You've somehow conjured the ineffable vibe that has us all in its thrall. "We decided to post up and take a seat on these large boulders that separate parking from the entrance to the venue. As it turns out, this was a very fortuitous decision. There was already an old Deadhead biker dude who had done the same" is a beer spraying classic... Kerouac meets HST!

Can't wait for the next chapter! In the meantime, to my horror, I just realized that I can't track down Part 1*. Would you mind re-posting or PM-ing it? I may not be the only mental midget in need. Many, especially including me, have done lots worse in these parts.

*Could be due to several Desert Fog IPAs imported from ABQ & a fond memory of a Willie's Reserve Tube... Onwardth!

Regarding strawberry beer – maybe that should be left to Glenwood Springs?

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

1/24, 25/69

Yowzah!

A big shoutout to my man Craig. Thank you x2000 for the CDs!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

SNAFU, good point, would probably take total remarket/reconfigure to get around that....which could be good, or just remarketed rehash?? I guess for those of us late to the dance it’d be good? But yea, maybe not possible at all.

Mr Smith, I would normally agree, strawberry beer? Yea, not big on all this peach lime peal double sour farmhouse session triple hopped yaddy, yaddy, yada........dam kids, get off my lawn!......but in this rare case it truly is scrumptious!
Key is it’s not overdone, very subtle.....So if it’s that one week of the year when it’s usually starting to get hot, and the Beers fresh and ice cold, it’s quite refreshing......and kinda like Easter or Halloween!
I’m of the ilk that feels like what the hell happened to Stouts, Porters and Ales?....I mean new stuff is cool, but not when there’s no shelf space left for the classics. It’s like having no 70s Dead at a record store cause they need more room for Taylor and Ariana et el....ok, maybe that’s a bit too far......anyway, #$*-=$& distributer out here refuses to get me my all time fav Anchor (Liberties, Porters, some of the new ales etc, not Steamers!), even if I pre order! Bitches!
At least I get thier Xmas beer cause I buy like 12-15 cases a year and beer man tries to take care of us.

Now, not to diss our brother Casey, I will certainly try and hunt some of that down and give er a whirl......it’s not like it’d be castor oil, I mean it’s beer for fugs sake! And maybe “sometimes you get shown the light”
Now back to this tasty 7/12/89, JGs guitar sounds awesome, man this 89 summer tour is really growing on me....

Oh yeah, brother CJ.......like good departed friend taught us about marathon drinking way back when, (which transposes to many things,) when we were young and dumenough to want to marathon drink, ahem, “drinking (or telling tales) is like running a marathon, you don’t want to go too fast, or too slow....”

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...All this talk about the ‘Fillmore West Vinyl ‘
release, has me been lsten’n to My copy/ Mix of March 1st 1969 is amazing and NEW!!! “Primo” lol...
Just listen to this part of the show and youll get blown away my brother and sisters...
‘New Potato Caboose’>>’Doing That Rag’>>
‘Cosmic Charlie’! Love it.
...All of the1969 “ Fillmore West Boxset” performances will see Vinyl treatment...
All the Performances included in the limited vinyl Release will be givin an ‘upgrade in Audio’ for a nice treat with each individual track...I’m happy!, the band is going back to make some positive changes & upgraded audio....🙏❤️🤠

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Apropos of a recent spin of DP18 Disc 2, does anyone know how many other K&D era sctreamless PITB's there are?

For those of you fortunate enough to have both the CD box and the vinyl releases, is there any perceptible difference in the sound quality between the two?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html