• 2,500 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • icecrmcnkd

You are not the only one. Sad, but true.

This is copied from

https://www.dead.net/forum/got-issues-your-store-order

——————-

August 30, 2019 - 4:29pm#2
    WHISKYHAWK

Still Waiting For DaP 30 To Be Delivered
    Anyone else having this issue?

Per Dead.net Customer Service, 'Our new warehouse has advised that they have been unable to locate any numbered copies of Dave’s Picks Volume 30. With that confirmation, we have decided to produce a small, separately-numbered run of this title. We will use these copies to replace your missing or damaged Dave’s Picks Volume 30 shipment. Our production team has advised that the new, limited-edition run will be available in 2 months. "

Well, it's been two months and no word, no communication. Very frustrating.
    ——————-

• marye
    send me a PM.
  • JimInMD

Send a PM to MaryE on this site. ..and do it quickly!! that was a long time ago.

• dajokr

Still have not received my DAve's 30 with Bonus Disc. Multiple emails to customer service and no joy. Anybody who can help????

• daverock

Looks reasonable enough to me. The only holes in my collection are the Fillmore West 1969 box set, and the first 1990 box set. I bought the second one, Spring 1990, after quite along wait, as I am not a big fan of 1990. But I was, and continue to be, surprised at how much I like the show within. Every time I play 3/14/90, which I believe is the first in the box, I feel moved to go on and listen to the whole. I keep looking around for the first one, but I haven't seen it for sale anywhere yet. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but if its anything like this second one....then I have missed out big time.

A cautionary tale for me, actually, thinking now that I wouldn't get this years box if it is from beyond 1974.

• Diggey
    Default Avatar

I hope I'm not breaking any rules and can delete this if I am. I have some Dead cds and Dave's Picks for sale and wanted to put them up here. I'm not trying to get rich, just movin' out some clutter. Send me a message and payPal preferred. shipping is included for all of them listed. Thanks

San Francisco, The Warfield 10/9 and 10/10/80- Record Store Day CD- $16 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 27- Boise State U, 9/2/83- $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 28- Capital Theater, Passaic, NJ, 6/17/76 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 29- Swing Auditorium, San Bernadino, Ca, 2/26/77 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Fillmore East, NY, 1/2/70 - $30 shipping included
    Dave's Picks 30- Bonus CD- Fillmore East, NY, 1/3/70 - $30 shipping included

• kyleharmon

i'll make my official box set prediction here: Summer '90

• JimInMD

Gave this one last spin before the Dave's 31 announcement. This will be remembered as an excellent release with a great bonus disc if you subscribed.

2019 will be remembered as a good year.

• Oroborous

Fall 79, Awesome!
    Nice to mix it up a little, thanks guys!
    Also, like hearing how their going to keep trying more variety.
    But ultimately, like Dave said, not about the set list or what they played etc, it’s about how they played it!
    Personally, I’m not familiar with this one but ifs it’s anything like 11/9, 11/5&6, 12/1, or the New Years run I think we’re going to be happy!

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

FINALLY 1979

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Who's up for a revolutionary evolutionary ride? DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 1/2/70 captures the Grateful Dead as they make their first foray from the experimental 60s into their early 70s acoustic Americana period. Yes, this one is a little bit country and a little bit (psychedelic) rock and roll.

When the "Magnificent Seven" - Pigpen on percussion, T.C. on keys - first took the stage on 1/2/70, evidence was clear that the trip was about to take a turn. From their western wears to the twang in Jerry’s “broken-string blues,” it appeared they'd brought the Bakersfield sound to the Big Apple. They worked through much of what would become Workingman's Dead, stunning the crowd with laid-back numbers like "Uncle John's Band," "Casey Jones," and "Black Peter." Just the same, they satisfied 60s stalwarts with magical versions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "That's It For The Other One." Sonic alchemy, indeed!

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30: FILLMORE EAST, NEW YORK, ​New York 1/2/70 has been rounded out with a bit of 1/3/70 (the subscribers-only bonus disc features the bulk of 1/3/70). It was recorded by the great Owsley "Bear" Stanley and has been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 30 is limited to 20,000 individually-numbered copies*.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Certainly 4/16/72 Aarhus comes to mind.. I bet there are more.

AJS.. I will let you know when I finally get my turntable set up. I wouldn't wait up though.. I probably need a bigger house, but have no intention on moving.. I guess Dennis and I have this in common.. I used to have Vinyl night in my old house, but this one is a few sq. feet smaller.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

JiminMD,

That is exactly why I asked. I don't have a turntable either.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

...the answer to how many screamless PITB's there are is not nearly enough...

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Oroborous - point taken on not going too slow...reminds me of this song I know - Long distance runner, what you standing there for? and then something about Dead to the Core...how does that song go? Anyways, I will try to step on the gas....

Did someone say 69? Believe it or not, I am currently rolling not west, but south down 69 highway in KS, heading to the lake. No, KF, I’m not texting and driving. Mrs Casey gets carsick so this guy almost always has a DD! More on her motionsickness later...a little foreshadowing for ya!!!

Berry Beer - I am normally an IPA guy, and in fact kinda like my GD listening habits, that’s pretty much all I drink, however, as my self consuming friend says, summer time is different, especially when it’s a hot day on the lake. IPA can start to feel a little yucky on the tummy if ya know what I mean and that can lead to other problems...I digress....I do have 6 (or maybe 8) of those tasty bastards in my cooler though and contrary to this other tune that I know, they will not survive! Don’t worry folks, i don’t plan to do any Marathon drinking, at least probably not: and I have also packed a whole buncha water so I plan to hydrate between beers. My daughter and I are hooked on the bubbly stuff that we buy in bulk from Costco. No not Champagne people, get your minds outta the gutter. I’m still talking about water!!!

Back to 69...I have digital copies and vinyl. Been a while since I’ve listened to the digital copies, so I will have to do that and give a comparison of the vinyl up to his point, however from my recollection the digital copy was damn good. The vinyl is also damn good, so AGS, I don’t think you can wrong with either, or as Jim says the last one you listen to is probably the best.

Well I should probably get back to Truckin down 69, but wanted to check in cuz my reception is generally bad in the parts of the universe where we’ll be floatin this weekend. I do have The Complete Roadtrips downloaded on my Spotify account on my phone so if all goes well then I’ll be catchin up on some GOGD this weekend!

Summer tours over, but summers still here folks....Play it loud and proud!

KCJ

Almost forgot...with risk of hurting some feelings, I will say that if you like IPA, I’m convinced that the best in the country is from a little brewery in Iowa called Toppling Goliath...they specialize in IPAs and although I’ve not been there, I’ve had the opportunity to try several of their IPAs. They are super tasty...and yes in my cooler. My favorite is probably the Psuedo Sue....give it a try if you get a chance! Now back to your regularly scheduled slow roasted coffee and 69 FIllmore West!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I too ordered a copy from Amazon, time went by and seemed to be no movement. Got worried I was gonna get stiffed so I searched out other sources. Barnes and Noble had it for a few bucks less, so I ordered and was gonna wait to see who shipped first and cancel the other. This morning amazon acted like "oh almost here, almost, we can see it", further down in mail there's Barnes & Noble saying we shipped and should have Wednesday. Still haven't canceled Amazon. I gonna gleam thru these emails closely and check tracking numbers. Hope I don't end up with two.

On another note. Someone here talked about Reckoning and the "expanded" addition and the tracks that were on there. So I went, hmmmmm. Checked my copy and found I didn't have the "remastered and expanded" copy. I was like shit and went in search of. Found a copy and order. Should be here today. A day later (+/-), someone mention the extra tracks on the closing of winterland. Something like NYE Winterland. So I went in search of. I don't think I have the bonus disc tracks. I swore I had the disc. So into the closet and I start pulling out the my many boxes of cd's (luckily the dead get their own boxes). First box I open and what do find,,,,,, an unopen copy of Reckoning Remaster & Expanded!!! DAMN! I did find the closing of winterland. My buddy must have bought it. I have the disc and the dvd's,,, I don't seem to have the bonus tracks. Now I need to go in search of them. Anyone out there got a copy of the bonus stuff?

What I need to do is start of list of ALL official releases and check off what I have so I don't have to search the closet anymore. Also what I found is I need another stack of banker boxes! I think I have about 2 boxes worth of cd's sitting on the sink waiting to be filed(?), stored(?), stuck in a fuckin box?

The Gorge always sounded and looked so beautiful but that line Nazi stuff is for the birds. I'd bet a dollar a doughnut that black bag was empty and divided up among the security assholes!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Hey now on that line stuff. They were doing that crap towards the end (94'-95). What do you think they do with that stuff? Of coarse they jumped inside the bag as soon as it was out of sight. They probably used the same excuse as the nazis. Just following orders.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by carlo13

the old saying.... " when a man is ashamed of what he is doing, he claims it's his duty"

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Seems to be many formats running around. Looks like you can get the 4cd set. Looks like you can get a one dvd copy of the show (in 5.1 sound :-)) I see ebay has a sealed copy, seems to be a two dvd set.

Who bought this when offered? Was the "bonus" disc a cd or were the bonus tracks on the dvd.

Out here and searching.

No, no mi amigo, I was agreeing with you....not too fast or slow, just find the groove........just enough anticipation to keep em wanting more, but no so long that they lose interest lol
Your doing fine! As always enjoy good tour stories from any era!
And as far as marathon drinking, I mean literally days, like once we went on for almost four days without sleeping, and only minimal enhancements. Just enough going on to keep the fun level high enough and just enough beer to keep the buzz going but without getting wasted etc.....as I say “don’t try this at home kids!” We were young and invincible then, but mostly we were professionals, and had one of the greatest tutors of all times, Klondike Keek and his Mediterranean mad men, aka The Booze Brothers! Ironically he died at 42 right after he quit drinking....
Staying up for several days on its own can be very interesting, but I don’t recommend any of this!

Seasonal Beer; definetly different brews are perfect for specific seasons. If you really get in that flow with nature it’s pretty cool as your body will start to inform you “hey, it’s barelywine time” etc...certain heavy stuff around the holidays, other hardy brews for the long haul of winter....Barelywine around February when there is at least a glimmer of the longer sunny days and a promise of spring, but still cold enough for the heaviness. Then a little later it’s time for Bock, then some nice strong ipas, like a new one for us Freemont Mountain Daisy, yum, then the nice light refreshing stuff for the dog days of summer. Fall we start to swing back to the fuller stuff, Porters, Stouts, and your Oktoberfest etc, and as the weather turns and starts getting colder our bodies like the heavy stuff to fatten us up for winter, which means time for Anchor Xmas beer, my all time favorite! We drink that pretty much all year except when it’s real hot, which is when I like the Anchor Liberties but can’t get here anymore, bastards!
Speaking of Hot and beer, it is best in an ice chest! The fridge just doesn’t seem to get it cold enough, so there nothing like a cold frosty out of the ice chest.
Conekid will like this....the only kind of swill beer we’ll still drink is PBR, the official beer of the aforementioned Boozebrothers back in the day!......but it’s only good for like a week or 2 during the peak of summer, and it MUST be outta the ice chest! Careful, not too many though as it’ll eventually rot your gut, No Bueno!

It was a separate CD. I have but I don’t have all my gear unpacked and running yet or I’d gladly burn you a copy.
If your still looking in say a month, send me a PM and I’ll send you one.....or when I get set up I’ll try to remember and see if your still in need.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thanks guy,,, I still got a call out to my buddy who burned me a copy years back to see what the deal was. But I will gladly take a copy when you have time and feel like doing it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I find the Donna scream on the multi tracks to be much more normally balanced in the mix, and not harsh at all (Veneta & all E72). They don't bother me because they blend in at the right level. But forget about it on the prehiatus two track recordings, especially 1974. Oh well.

I find most of the post-hiatus screams to be way toned down and not a factor. Try live at Cowboy Palace New Year's Eve 1976. Not only is it a post Hiatus multi-track, but it may damn well be the best two drummer Playing in the Band they ever did. And they didn't split it up into multiple parts, which is only acceptable if there is multiple Uncle John's Bands and a Morning Dew in the middle :D

Closing Of Winterland - never loses its luster for me. Outstanding Scarlet-Fire; best ever I Need a Miracle & Stagger Lee; solid '78 Terrapin; Dark Star / 2nd Best Post-hiatus The Othe One / Dark Star part II (short and sweet; great extended Good Lovin' ; From The Heart Of Me; great 19 minute NFA. And I think some folks really dig the Round and Around. Great piano from Keith on stuff like Big River, which in my mind puts to rest any notion that the man lost his chops on account of drugs; I say he simply fell asleep once in awhile, but hey, so did Jerry. It's all Rock 'n Roll baby! Anyway, skills intact. My only criticisms of this show is the same of most post hiatus shows: Bobby's Gibson ES 335/345 are sorely missed, and Donna is over-utilized (don't need her on Wharf rat or Sunshine Daydream, or Ramble On Rose, etc). If you really want around this show out on your digital copy that you keep on your cell phone, add the Shakedown Street from the Egypt show, as it's also derived from a multi-track, so the sound is clean as can be. Oh, and the Playing in the Band is really good.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

whoever it was that mentioned they had gotten a copy of "Reckoning" fairly cheap at B&N...being a member (and having a weekend goodie coupon) I got it for $20.35 with free S&H...sweet...also this past Thursday I drove into Flagstaff for some errands and browsing at a great used bookstore that also carries some music...I had hope to get a Live Jerry on Arista that I had never seen before but passed on the last time I was in town...of course it was gone but I did get a special "Without A Net" set that came in a double cardboard case that has the crazed clowns covers...I picked that up for $8 ...for someone who never cared that much on post '89 shows it holds a warm spot for me...once back then I was forced to hang in a dive bar for almost half a day waiting for a rescue ride...the bar had a new digital jukebox and I was able to play "Without A Net" over and over for fairly cheap...anyone have an idea what that Jerry release would've been? I guess I'll go for the Warfield set next...Also last week I finally picked up a copy of "To Terrapin: Hartford '77" on Ebay...a new sealed copy for $30...got it yesterday and have played a bit while driving into work today...

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

No way man, I got standards.

I was at a party about 15 years ago where the only beer was a keg of Pabst. Horrendous. But I suffered through it and said never again.

Thankfully I can afford microbrew these days.

Oro, and anyone else in CO.
You can now get Bell’s in CO, I suggest you give it a try.
It’s in NV now too Vguy.

http://www.bellsbeer.com

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

I add my thanks on mentioning them. I was looking to see if I could get Fillmore West 2/28/69 there to no avail, but did stumble across Shrine 11/10/67 for 62.99, which is the best price I've seen. This FW 2/28 has been a major pain in the ass. I ordered it from a record store, only to have them email me that it was sold out, and they canceled my order. So I went to Amazon, and my shipping went from 7/11 to sometime in September, and the week before, they canceled my Warfield cd, despite the fact I ordered it the day it popped up on Amazon months before. I have put in a purchase through a seller on Amazon but have heard nothing from them, and their website does not show FW 2/28 in their inventory (they do have a lot of harder to find stuff for reasonable prices), so I've emailed them to see if they actually have it, and the shipping date is still 2-3 weeks away. Meanwhile Amazon is now selling the exact one I canceled and claiming 2 day shipping, despite telling me 2 month shipping. I don't understand why this wasn't just the RSD release along with the Warfield. That other record compilation had cool cover art, but terrible song selections. Or why not sell it here at dead.net? Or on Rhino.com?

Edited out the DiP part, because I went back to snatch one, and it's not actually there, it's through an online marketplace and the cost was $50 for an "acceptable" copy that is probably the same condition as mine. But I did also finally see a listing for FW 2/28 there this time, though it said unavailable.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Hate to hear you had to buy it on ebay, I got a new copy in slim trifold packaging here at dead.net for I think 20 bucks a couple years ago, would have assumed it was still for sale here as that seemed to be a new pressing. But I checked and it is indeed not currently available. But speaking of that Hartford show and keithfan's comment on multi-part Playings, Hartford has a sweetnPlaying> Terrapin> Drums> Not Fade Away> Wharf Rat> Playing, Tuscaloosa had a similar sequence missing Drums and NFA, and 4/25/77 from 30 Trips features a wonderful Playing> Drums> Wharf> Playing, and, more recently DaP 29 had the Playing> Wheel> Playing from the Swing. I agree on the preference for a good 20+ min self-contained Playing (Donna yell and all), and the NYE 1976 one is one for the books, with a great bass-driven jam, but I can't deny some of those sandwiches are equal to or better than those 3 versions of The Sequence with UJB> Dew> UJB as the middle of the sandwich. 11/10/73 the middle night from Winterland '73 is my favorite of the 3 (the other 2 being 11/17/73 DaP 5, and 3/23/74 DiP 24).

And while I was poking around the dead.net store Warfield was popping up, this time showing available and one went right into my cart. But, don't worry not gojng to be greedy and snap it up, I shall release it.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

For what it's worth, our local record store was late getting their allotted shipment. Evidently they've had a lot of difficulty recently with shipments from the warehouse/distributor. Sounds like the problem may not be isolated to just them. They were kind enough to hold a copy for me once it arrived.

Good luck to all.

P.S. This robot nonsense is a bit much. One correct response should be enough.

yeah that was the thing... on dead.net, sold out of To Terrapin...enter your email and we will let you know when and if it becomes available, I'm almost 70, I ain't got time to wait so the $30 on ebay was the most reasonable option...others had it for anywhere from $50 to $80!!!...and it was a new still sealed copy, and I managed to slightly tear the cover getting one of the discs out...oy! On my next allowance day I'm getting the Warfield set...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I've been quite lucky ordering this. I got it from Amazon UK-ordered it yesterday and it arrived this lunch time. I haven't got the cd box set, so I can't compare the sound, but this vinyl edition sounds superb.

The show, of course, is phenomenal. The first four songs serve as a kind of framework on which the rest of the show is based. As soon as Lovelight starts, you can hear that they have moved up several gears. The drummers lead the way, Phil joins in and then Jerry supplies the pyrotechnics. I prefer Lovelights that are heavy on the jamming, less so on the rapping, and this one, in between the sung introductions and denouement delivers in spades. The intensity continues through the second set Other One which goes into Dark Star-quite a change of pace-it sounds almost incongruous. The two other Dark Stars I have heard from this run seem to develop more organically out of Mountains of the Moon. This Dark Star is quite unique-a completely different flavour from the previous nights-maybe a bit more melancholic, which is odd considering the sound and fury that precedes it.

I haven't played the rest of it yet-but if memory serves me well, the best is yet to come!

Incidentally, I can understand, sort of, why they are not re-releasing the cd box set, having announced that it was limited edition. But it shows a major lack of judgement by my reckoning. Why deprive the general public ( and, more specifically, Daverock) of getting to hear possibly the greatest run of shows by any band...ever? Still, at least the albums are coming out on vinyl-roll on 3/1!

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Yummy

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I always find that I really like that release, the whole show just has a real nice flow to it, and cool artwork on the case.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Loving GarciaLive Vol. 11 so far, some of my favorite JGB songs. I liked the Eel River set well enough, but for some reason didn't really click with it. But this has one has grabbed my attention thus far.

I also really like the one from '91 Milwaukee, but my favorite period (of my very limited experience with JGB so far) is '78. I like the extended jams, but I really can't get into the early stuff like the Keystone, etc, I need more song structure if that makes sense. Those make great background music, but I can't rate them as highly as something I'd go out of my way to hear. But 3/22/78 is like butter...Love in the Afternoon...

I'm sure I posted about it before but anybody read Positively Garcia: Reflections of the JGB by Howard Weiner? He has a list of maybe 10 or so of his top JGB that he writes about (only 72-84 for this 'Volume One') but my goal was to find them all. I only have several though, so need to get back on that. I do remember 2/6/72 Pacific High Recording Studio with Merl, which is the one that goes against my earlier comment on lack of preference for the era. That Expressway (To Your Heart) is insane.

Now that D&C tour is done, got solo Mayer scheduled in August. Looking forward to seeing the contrast between the two. Also got Willie Nelson (w/ Alison Krause) and hopefully the Avetts and Dylan before the year end. I see Dylan just played Hyde Park on the same bill with Neil Young last night, and somewhere in Ireland tomorrow. I'm not a big Neil guy, but bet that was cool for folks.

I have the Spring '90 sets but I thought about grabbing the Without a Net CD just for completions sake, and it's always nice to have a compilation. But it's not available on Amazon, and the used ones are over 30 bucks! People are very strange these days..

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Woah, just got to the Dear Prudence > When The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game.

What an outro on Prudence, and I've loved Hunter since I was introduced to it a few years ago buying Compliments at RSD. This is a great show.

user picture

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by muleskinner_blues

AHH My very first Taste to The Grateful Dead. I was a fanatic WHO fan in High School. A young man who was a "True Deadhead" took me aside and told me his appreciation that I have for The Who, BUT insisted I give the Grateful Dead a go and handed me this tape. I was hooked and off to the Genovese Drug store in Guiford, CT to purchase these MAXELL II S blank tapes. (That's what i was told to do) My new obsession began and the tapes came pouring in. Thanks Adam B.. What a lovely show that will be so special to me.

On another note if any of you are on the fence about the new Jerry Garcia Vol 11..... GET IT!! Aint No Bread in the Breadbox alone is worth all the money. Phenomenal!!....Cheers and Happy weekend

Does Sierra Nevada still make Bigfoot every year?
That stuff was brutal but good. If you could keep yer mitts off it and let it sit I understand it would get stronger.
...we could never let it just sit so I don't know from experience. The longest I got was maybe 3 or 4 weeks. Hell, back then it was off season in ski country so we were broke and we drank it.
Listening to String Cheese at the Moose from 2-18-97. Good times...

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

Yes.. they still make it. I am not sure it gets stronger, unless somehow it continues to ferment in the bottle.. but if it did it would eventually explode as fermentation creates CO2 as a byproduct. They say, like a fine wine, the flavors evolve if you cellar it. I wouldn't know, I haven't tried but perhaps I will toss a case in the cellar this year... to me, it's the tequila of beers, if you see me drinking one, please take my keys. :D

Love the banter today, If I had more energy there's dozen or so things I would contribute. Great to hear praise for Garcia Live 11. Well.. that's it for this other one. I see horizontal levitation in my future.. in exactly.. wait for it.. sssZZZZzzzzzzzpft.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

that makes more sense. It did illicit the whisky face with the first 3 or 4 swigs.
Still didn't have any around long enough to see if the flavor or taste mellowed any...

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

I do own the DVD set and the four CD release. The DVD release is 2 DVDs. The first DVD is sets 1 and 2 and the second DVD is the third set and bonus materials. Yes, it is in 5.1. The video is a little grainy and was originally aired on San Francisco public television. You can still buy this one in Amazon for $14. Well worth the money as this is an awesome New Year's show. If someone already covered all this my apologies. The four CD release is multi track and sounds better than the DVD.

Has this sold out on this site? Can't believe it as it had been here for so long. But I guess that does happen. Try Discogs, good site.

Unrelated, but I should blow the horn on an old favorite of mine Englishtown 77. First show back from the car accident of Mickey and it is so damn good. Love the whole show and the recording is top notch. What a crazy 20 minute Not Fad Away, first Trucking since 74 and the Terrapin encore!
Does anyone know if they have the tapes for the June 4, 1977 show at the Forum? I can get lost in 77 shows for long periods of time and the prospect of unreleased 77 shows.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by muleskinner_blues

If interested I have a massive amount of JGB stuff. I was sent a shitload of shows. I WAS ripping and shedding them into shape with proper labels and numbering. Got sidetracked. I think I made it to 81. But let me know, I might have that which you seek.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Muleskin man, you mention Expressway to Your Heart. I have cut from a Jerry show from somewhere, sometime, and it's Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got. Has the flute guy (martin ferrio?) This things just floats along. I have a copy on my desktop and play it a lot when doing shit. So watch for the Ain't No's!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

4/16/72. Interesting call on that one Jim. It is an early version, but when was it the wail added exactly? It has got me thinking. Was it present when the tune was introduced? Donna wasn't a member of the band until NYE Winterland '71, right? I was thinking of anomalies where she may not have been near the mike or simply gone for other reasons. It is interesting when you brace yourself to expect to hear something that never occurs... Clear! :-)

P.S. Fire Hydrants and Crosswalks that dissolve and sometimes reappear! :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Dennis has the Soundboard tapes of 6/4/77 he just has to keep it private.

I think he has a bunch of Fall '70 and Tulsa '79, too...

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

So my buddy Tommy picked me and 2-3 others up and we drove to Englishtown, 42 years ago this fall. We parked a couple miles away and walked into the site, defined by dozens of tractor-trailer boxes around the perimeter. We hit the growing crowd about one-third the way back and decided not to push it. We'd been in the scrum up front in big outdoor shows; no way to enjoy your liquid trip. During the show, a woman in front of the stage had to be renditioned: she was having a baby at the freakin' show.

Vague memories of the openers, we wanted loud GD and we got it.

I still remember Phil saying: "We haven't played to a crowd this size in a LONG TIME!" To cheers, of course.

My buddy Tommy and I started out standing next to each other and as the acid came on, we were jostled a few feet apart. No worries. But each song, I noticed that we were drifting just a little further away from each other -- like being on the river when the current dictates your position -- and exchanged the glances that said we were aware of the situation, but not to worry. It's always good to have a tripping buddy around, despite the generally supportive vibe at a show. Well, at some point in the show, I looked over and Tommy was gone, gone, gone. I chuckled. Not to worry. I'd find him later. In a crowd of about 100,000. (Unwarranted optimism has been a personal trait, sometimes supported by a small square of paper with a cartoon character on it.)

Anyhoo, as you know from the tapes, the band killed it that night and many, many people did not make it off site after the show. In a surreal landscape of klieg lights, bodies, garbage and, well, urban New Jersey, I found a palette of cardboard and admitted that I needed to hunker down til daylight. So I did. Woke with the sun and hundreds of concert-goers who had done the same. I managed to enter the stream of stragglers heading back to their cars and called for a ride home. Right away, two heads said, "Sure, man, come with us, we'll drive you home." And they did. I was staying with my folks at the time and we all came in, my folks were cordial and glad to see me, not knowing why I hadn't come home the previous night. My new friends had coffee, used the bathroom, hung out with my folks (we must have stunk to high heaven and we had LSD hangovers) and those boys drove off out of sight and memory. Strangers stopping strangers, just to shake their hand. (Which actually happened at Watkins Glen. I had to wonder about that when Mars Hotel dropped in summer '74 -- had Hunter been in the parking area?)

Just another major GD show full of the classic elements: lose your friends, depend on the music, and then random Deadheads to get you home safely after a night of sleeping between sheaves of cardboard in the bushes after a show.

Oh, and great show!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Big Foot is pretty much the only B.W. I’ll drink, the rest are usually way to sweet. The Sierra Nevada Big Foot Barelywine is another annual mainstay usually grab a few cases while we can. (have a bottle from every year going back like 10-12 years, same with Sierra Nevada Celebration and Anchor Xmas ....So another that we’ll let the last cached supply sit during the hot summer months, then finish off during next winter season, and yes it does age well. Not sure about any alcohol increase....I’m sure I’ve read something about this but forgotten yet again, sigh....

RFK BOX; did these fine shows this weekend, man they sound awesome, nothing like nice modern tech multis!
Also, did one of my all time favs! Perhaps best first set ever?i have a mix of the amazing first set plus the Cryptically/TOO stuff from 2nd set, that all fits nicely on one disc......of 7/13/85, SMOKING! You can hear the positive vibes in the stage banter as well as the playing!
Also gave 7/1/78 a spin since y’all been going on about it. As usual 78 not my favorite year, but I still can enjoy.....a good show is a good show no matter what era! Might try to squeeze in the Omaha show as that seems to be the top pick here? Might fire up some of the live Floyd bonus stuff from the Dark Side and WYWH reissues y’all was talking about last week or so? Haven’t listened to those much, but they kick ass for sure!

12/31/78; thanks to Deadvikes for the proper info about this release(s).....I misspoke....I was thinking about that Winterland NYE Bonus from? Something, can’t remember (believe LMG just posted all that info recently, probably why I got mixed up )But that’s what I meant by Bonus CD Dennis......I do have the whole 12/31/78;show on CD as I often go digital direct from the DVD player to the trusty ML 9600 thereby eliminating a few conversion steps. It rips at higher resolution than redbook, but then down res to redbook during CD burning......I’ve done this with many of the DVDs and they sound ama....aaa, “PRIMO” 😉 I could burn higher resolution copies with the 9600 but the higher the res the less disc capacity, so you’d need several discs for a whole show......now that I’m thinking about it I’ll have to try it sometime.....

Kid, thanks for the intel about Bells.....shit looks tasty and according to their site Beerman should have some? So I’ll pick some up next time I go over there. I’ll look for some of that GreatDivide CJ spoke of also.....As far as the PBR....kegs no way eh! Has to be extremely hot out, has to be cans, and as I said, has to be super ice cold from the ice chest, and only like once in a blue moon as a novelty....
PBR at a kegger, uuuuu, I think I just burped up my breakfast just thinking about it lol

Donna's post retirement screams seem alright to me, as do the rest of her vocals. Her most frightening Playing moments come during 1974, 5/21 being a notable example.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Two more sleeps everyone 😺

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

If anything she was too low in the mix on those early shows. I don't profess to know anything about the mixing differences between the sound board tape mix that we get our releases from and the PA mix that the audience hears, but I will say that I never heard one of the ear-splitting screams out of her mouth at a live show. Some have said that they are two entirely different mixes and I believe it because you just don't forget a wail like that. So it's a little bit sad in a way that her reputation has been besmirched by what amounts to the release of an archive full of half engineered tapes.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

10/15/76
Shrine Auditorium - Los Angeles, CA

Set 1:
Might As Well
Mama Tried
Row Jimmy
It's All Over Now
Loser
New Minglewood Blues
Bertha
Lazy Lightnin'
Supplication
Sugaree
Promised Land

Set 2:
Eyes Of The World
The Music Never Stopped
It Must Have Been The Roses
Samson And Delilah
He's Gone
Drums
The Other One
Comes A Time
Franklin's Tower
Sugar Magnolia

This one was a smoker folks.

https://archive.org/details/gd1976-10-15.sbd.miller.84260.sbeok.flac16

I am a robot.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Go see Alan Parsons if he plays near you. Weirdly young-looking, the Parsons engineered Abbey Road, Dark Side Of The Moon, Year Of The Cat and many others. If you're fortunate, coming to a grass shed near you.

I recently dropped a hand-tooled black leather rose motif pickguard onto my Roy Buchanan Telecaster. This thing is like something you'd see on a saddle, like a horse. Makes my Tele feel more authentic on Weir/Haggard strums. I'm overjoyed.

Best,

Interesting that you saw her with the Dead during those years, and that she was quite low in the mix. Makes me wonder if it might have been kinder to her ( and us-sorry) if they lowered her back again on the live recordings from those years. I mentioned 5/21 as that was the last one I heard where her singing really does jar during Playing.

I don't think there is any doubt that she was a good singer, though. As must have been said before-Elvis Presley could have had any back up singers in the world when he cut those sides in Memphis during 1969-and Donna Jean was one of those chosen. A shame, then, that with so much attention on perfecting the sound during 1973-74, more time couldn't have been spent enabling Donna.

Thanks for the story on this unbelievable show. Really cool. Can't believe you were there! You should have wrote the liner notes for this release. And for those that haven't heard this one in a while, check it out again, you wouldn't be disappointed.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by OKCDeadHead

I checked and saw nothing,,,, maybe I'm nuts,,,, maybe it didn't come (I can relate),,,, maybe you spelt Dennis wrong :-)

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Hey now! A great show and one of the horrid LAPD harassment gigs...people were arrested left and right...Police Chief "Crazy" Ed Davis decided that rock 'n roll was a serious threat and instituted a policy of zero tolerance on drug use etc...it started heavily the previous year at the "Wish you were here" tour by Pink Floyd at the LA Sports Arena where police buses and large groups of roaming cops through the parking lot arrested hundreds over the course of the shows run...there is a famous "This Is Not A Sanctuary" flyer that was posted and handed out in the hundreds everywhere...if I remember right on the first night (10-14) at the Shrine as my buddy and I walked up to the entrance there was a young woman crying and saying "no no..." her boyfriend had just been taken away and she didn't know what to do...she had the tickets and gave them to us refusing payment as she walked off to find a phone booth and make some calls...we looked at the tickets and they were 8th row center floor seats...we promptly gave away our tickets (1st balcony) and went in feeling somewhat guilty...the following night was just as bad with ushers, police and undercover narcs going up and the aisles looking for anyone to arrest...

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Which I seldom am, unless we're talking Texas Hold'em, I would bet that the Englishtown story that Dead Vikes referred to (which I have not read yet) has some reference in it to the looong walk from where the car was parked to the stadium. I've met several people who went to Englishtown, including the Allman Brothers Head who sits across from me at work...... what do they call themselves? Peach-Heads? Duane-Heads if they don't Venture past Duane's tenure? Jessica-Heads if they're in to post Dwayne era? Or maybe they're all just Allman Brothers. Well anyway, that's not what I came to say.

I came to say that Ladies & Gentlemen the Grateful Dead might very well be the most under rated Dead release in the archives. That's not to say that the Fillmore East run that it was culled from is underrated - people sing its praises all the time. I just mean that there is rarely somebody posting about how good a particular song is from that release.

I find it has top three versions of many performances:

Uncle John's Band
Sugar Magnolia
Midnight Hour
Ripple
Cold Rain & Snow
Hard To Handle
New Minglewood Blues
I'm a King Bee
St. Stephen
Jam
Dark Hollow
Second That Emotion
Alligator
Morning Dew

And what's left over is also really hot. Anyway, I have this on this morning and thought I would extend some appreciation for this great release.

Really looking forward to the announcement - the anticipation is half the fun.

Final call for predictions. I'm sticking with 12/1/79.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-30-1.html