• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

I look foward to the complaints and excuses more these days than I do the actual announcement. Some really funny stuff out there.

Who knew that they had no internet overseas. I certainly didn't.

It is a shame though that our resident economics expert fails to understand that demand is forecast by the number of subscriptions sold. Maybe he can find solace by listening all those extra copies of FW69, E72, etc. that he has evidently stockpiled.

Happy for all those who got their wish on this one.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Music is a warm blanket.

Grateful Dead is that.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

So sweet to see this awesome show in the Dave's series. The mighty Uptown Theatre!! 12/3/79!! My second show!! My brother John scored tickets - grabbed him a copy a la carte from airport parking in ABQ : )

As my friend Rick emailed when I relayed the DaP 31news: "Ya Made my f***in day And renewed my faith in how right we are to invest our hard earned money into the Dead without a thought." As memory serves, Rick saw every Uptown show. Subscribe!

Also - the cover art is WAY cool!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I had intentions of skipping the announcement and staying off this site, then just being surprised at what showed up in my mailbox in three weeks. I made it three hours, then caved and peeked.

I love that we're tapping 1979, and I love the cover art on this. Should be a hot show, regardless of source.

For the box, it's seeming like 1991, which would be fine by me. I like all the keyboardists, and just hope that whatever they release, it's from the Jerry era. :)

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

I like the setlist, Jack a Roe, finally an Althea, big Scarlet Fire, Terrapin> Playing and a Wharf Rat, plus the filler looks tasty. The cover art is nice, too.

That said, the perceptible hiss in the Listening Party tracks is kind of a bummer, but it is what it is with cassette masters. The vocals seem way up front, too, which makes sense as a PA tape. Hard to tell from Dave's hyperbole how good a show will be, but I'm looking forward to this one.

The box announcement will get me out for another MUATM, which thankfully is actually in town this year after having been 1-2 hours away every other year. Senor Norman hard at work since December has me thinking Fall '72 is indeed the choice, wanting to make it sound as sweet as possible.

Finally, add me to the chorus of folks saying SUBSCRIBE, SUBSCRIBE, SUBSCRIBE! If you find you don't want a Pick when it arrives, you can sell it to someone who is up in arms about missing the Pick. And who would want to shell out 100 bucks for a single disc to get the Bonus Disc on ebay? If you like 3 of the 4 Picks, consider it $33 per Pick, if you like just 2, $50 is about how much the Real Gone versions of DiP and Road Trips go for. And again, you could unload the unwanted Picks right here and make sure a Deadhead who wants it gets it. The subscriptions go on sale in November, save 25 bucks each month til then, and boom! You won't have to worry about missing a Pick that sells out before you get the email.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

As much as I dig the cover art and the setlist, this won't get any play here in Tripville.
So if anyone missed out and wants my subscriber's copy, send me a message and we'll work out the deets.
I'll pass it along to the first person who hits my inbox.
At list price and a few bucks for shipping.

Plink-a-plink-a-plink-a-plink-a-plink...

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

What you have is a "I need a miracle Dap 31 ticket. We will see who the lucky guy will be.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by SkullTrip

Its like Christmas Eve in church on here at the moment. 54 new messages when I clocked on last night, 45 new messages when I clocked on this morning. There's normally between about 3 and 10.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 10 months

In reply to by SkullTrip

Hi there! By any chance is that copy of Dave's Picks 31 still up for grabs?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I may have an extra copy this. Willing to make trade if any one interested. Looking for someone to burn me a copy of their FW69 complete box set. Send me a PM if anyone interested.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Looks like they did not limit this one to 2 per order like the other two
previous Dave Picks. Maybe they thought that this one might not sellout as fast.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

It's been quite a while since I dropped in around here. I guess the change to the new site kept me out til now, but it's good to be back. Loved the first two picks this year as well as Warfield vinyl- sounds so warm.

I don't know too much of '79, but this is a welcome addition to the collection. Cover art is legit on this one.

Bring on the Ark box. It's time.

Hope all are well and enjoying this trip around the sun.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Me likey. :-) Now put it on a shirt and sell it!

There are 2 more listening samples of 12/3/79 from the Taper's Section and it's entry from Archive.org. Looks like this will be from a cassette master?

http://www.dead.net/features/tapers-section/march-24-march-30-2014

http://www.dead.net/features/tapers-section/november-24-november-30-2014

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead?and[]=date:1979-12-03%2A

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

There are a couple of people have commented that they don't want a big box set. Is it the money? If so this really works. Start putting away $10 a week in a slush fund. I did this to buy a racing bike and had it in a year. I would venture to say that anyone who has the system to play CDs on can find somewhere to cut back $10 a week and put it away. Smoke less cigarettes or weed. Live on Ramen for a month. I just really can't describe how cool it was to open up 30 trips around the Sun. And I was only able to get the all music Edition. I was not into the Grateful Dead big time the way I am now when it first came out.

Or is it something besides money? I can't imagine but, just the thought of 20 brand spanking new shows from 1972 makes me a little bit Gaga. I'm talking Radio Gaga. That's all we need.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Nice to see someone else yearning for that April 1969 box! It would fit in nicely with the 50-year theme, with AOXOMOXOA

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I see there has already been discussion of the Source used for this release. I am looking forward to hearing the full show soon. There is a nice write up on this show in the Deadhead's Taping Compendium. There should be updated volumes of the those books, or something like them, by the way. Chock full of reviews, etc. That's why DB50 was such a let down for me, There were hardly any new reviews of shows!

Now that the surprise is gone, the fun is half over.

I boldly predict Dave's Picks 32 will be from the 80's or 90's. Then again, I could be wrong

Now.. how long until this hits my front porch? What I want to know, where does the time go?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Someone else mentioned this: Let's get in all the keys players for this 2019 series. DP 30 had TC, I think it would be really neat if 32 had both Welnick and Hornsby. Lots to choose from Fa90 - Sp 92! Some great accordian/piano guest appearances through to '95, too: http://www.agitators.com/gd/bruce.html

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

What kind of racing bike can you get for 10$ a week saving for a year? Are we talking remote control or mini-bike cause that's only 520$. Maybe I'm not as familiar with the second hand market for motorcycles but I wouldnt trust my life on something that cost 500$ and goes 120mph or even 60! Not that it matters cause I'll put whatever the box set costs on the credit card anyway :) Shhhh don't tell my wife....

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by direwulf

Riding a bicycle at 120 mph.. now that's radical.

(I am guessing they meant bicycle) You can sometimes get a used older model racing bike so long as it's not carbon or something really cutting edge for a reasonable price second hand.. once the newer technologies come out, yesterdays big thing isn't that big anymore.

I was thinking the Hornsby years for #32 in fact.. like 79, so would go 91. It's time. Then surprise us all with something really outrageous when they key up the new subscription. It would make sense to do this if you were Dave/Rhino.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 5 months

In reply to by direwulf

A '91 show would also mean the 2019 series has a show from each "decade." Dave was saying that DP 30 is basically a 69 show, just like DP 32 is basically an 80s show. There's of course DP 29 from 70s, which leaves the 90s for 32.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I just got word that Jamie from Plangent has worked on new GD and says "we're going to love it", is it a fall 72 big box? And if next year is supposed to be better what could that be.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

That’s my prediction and hope. They have it all in multi-track and the shows are great. Based on Dave’s “audio side of things” comment and the apparently demanding work load, I think it will include video.

I’m excited about this; the biggest issue I have with my Bruce and Vince tapes is an unbalanced mix. I like this period of the band’s career. It will be nice to finally hear some of it properly mixed.

Love any Uptown show! Also dig the dragon with matches cover! The wolf paw cover was nice too; I like this trend.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Sorry couldn't let today go unmarked... For me this is the start date of the resurgence of the 89/90 awesomeness!! Partly because of the return of We bid you Goodnight.... Enjoy the heat wave!!! bob t

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I love the new Dave’s picks and for me if 32 is before 79 this year for me personally has blown my ( need to get the bolt!) socks off!
I dig the sound recording, charm, different, atmospheric but not to the point where you can’t separate the notes. If it sounded like shit and garbled junk that would be a huge disappointment but it doesn’t; to me anyway but hey everyone has their own interpretation!
Another box set 💭 thought.... if they gave Betty the utmost respect she deserves and did a Betty boards box that would fuckn be awesome 👏, bunch of pictures of her and whatnot! Hot damn them Betty boards are the real deal Holyfield!;)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Bolo's clue about when there was one starbucks. First opened 3-31-71. Maybe another multi year package. Dream box Roosevelt stadium shows with 8-1-73 FOR JERRY'S 30TH

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Someone early mentioned (kinda sarcastically) they should fill in the pop up box to get on the dead mailing list. Did you ever notice no matter how many times you fill it out, it still ask!?! You would think the box would know if you're on the list!

Second, I sure it's been said before, I sure I've said it before, but comments about EVERYBODY has a five spot or a ten spot to put away every week to buy a big box set. It's just not true. So people don't have an extra whatever to throw on the side. Some struggle with school cost, medical bills, normal everyday bills. Maybe the working poor can't cut back on weed, because they don't buy it. I agree I meet a lot of people at our store who are spending money they don't have on things they don't need. So easy on spending others people money.

On the flip side, box sets are a luxury want, not a need. If you're bummed because you can afford a box set, oh well. I can't afford a world cruise. BUT, unlike a world cruise, I'm sure if you're on this forum you can find someone to knock you out a copy. Collecting shit (whatever that shit maybe) cost money and not everyone has it.

Sorry if I'm out of line.

On the plus side - my second copy of Reckoning came in the mail from Barnes & Noble, turned out I could return at local store, so I did.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

FYI - found thru the library The bootleg box set volume 1 & 2. Appears to be 14 cds. I'll let you know when in house. Have you ever seen these set?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

Thanks Dennis, your post helps put things in perspective is a soothing, calming way.

As for GD Music, I probably have enough to keep me busy for a lifetime.. but I do enjoy the new releases. It's really not a problem for me at all. I could quit anytime. I don't really think about it that much.. I could quit tomorrow. Or the next day at the latest. Starting tomorrow morning I am going to listen to more Floyd and Stones. Some Who perhaps some Parliament.

Now on to Dave's Picks 32.. or the new Box Set.. what's it gonna be, can we get it early? I need a new release now. Let's break into the vault and Free the Reels, who's with me? We have a tunnel to dig! Let's storm Lemieux's house.. is it Vancouver Island or the city? The first to liberate is 6/10/73. Who's with us, join the Freedom Reel Liberation Movement.. Where's my shipping notice! Dammit Lemieux.. where's my Dave's Picks 31!

Hey.. it's not taking my address now either. AAaaak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIFnx5hxMA0

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....sounds like a grand idea Jim. After that, we can tunnel to Area 51 and show those Facebookers how to properly raid the place.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

Can't wait...Thanks to everyone who makes these drops of heaven rain down on us every 3 months.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 3 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

As soon as it was announced I went searching in apparel hoping for the shirt too. Got my fingers crossed.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 6 months

I'm still hoping for the 1969 Ark Shows to be released but I would be equally happy with a set of concerts from the Fall of '72. If they release a set of shows from '91 I won't be nearly as enthused, but I'll probably still purchase them.

Regardless of what they choose to release, my biggest desire is that the discs are all in good condition so that there's not the issues that I (and many others) had with last year's PNW '73-'74 box. Last year was the first time that I had to request (and eventually receive) replacement discs and I hope it was also the last.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I went to high school and almost graduamated I promise!

I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
Things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I'm listening to the 12-4 show right now on the archive: Master Soundboard Cassette -> Cassette -> DAT.

https://archive.org/details/gd79-12-04.sbd.clugston.2535.sbeok.shnf/gd7…

To me, this sounds better than the Normalized Boise show released last year. And this one has yet to be Glassered.

I'm looking forward to this one with an open mind and open ears.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Oh, well, that's very different. Nevermind. Don't we all have an Emily Littella moment from time to time...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Bolo's contest answer was a '71 show. That probably was a clue.

I'm going with a big box of spring '71 shows with a mix of multi-track and 2-track recordings.

ps. And with the talk of it being The Giants Stadium shows could be hinting to N.Y.

Thanks for the heads up about the Tangerine Dream Bootleg boxes-and for your posts in general, which always seem to come form the right place. But back to those bootleg boxes-I got the first of these when it came out in 2003, but looking on Amazon it looks as though a remastered edition has come out since then. Its a great box-I was actually playing the first cd-Sheffield 1974, this morning, funnily enough. Two of these cds, the Royal Albert Hall show from 4/2/75 are included in the new In Search of Hades set.

I didn't know there was a second box in this bootleg series, though. It costs quite a lot now, too. On the whole, though, I am not too fussed. It covers the band from 1976 on into the 1980s, when they got a bit more conventional. Once they realised how to play synthesizers etc, they started playing melodies on them-which is never a good idea!

I'm still haunted by the idea of getting In Search of Hades, myself.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

....I’ve been dig’n the Grateful Dead, “Rocking the Cradle” from Egypt,Cairo 9/15th-16th/ 78’ past Release... 🙏❤️😎 the DVD is a Plus too!

...new box set includes Visuals ! 😉

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

What!!!!

How about some hints. How many CDs?

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

2 weeks till the meet- up. Hope to see some old friends from the shows!

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by carlo13

A subscription guarantees you 13 CD’s (some may be defective, but you’ll eventually get replacements) along with free shipping.
If you kept only 1 release and sold the other 3 you could break even, or even make some cash.
And you wouldn’t have the stress of missing out on a release.

Watching 7-17-89 DVD in honor of the anniversary.
Bring on the Alpine 89 CD/DVD,BluRay Box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I predicted a '79 show so I feel pretty good about that. Usually I have no clue! Lol. I thought they might go late year to scratch that Brent itch for those who need it. I saw almost the exact amount of Brent / Keith shows and I love them both. The vast majority of my shows, about 50%, were in the '78 - '80 time frame. Gun to the head, I'll give the nod to Keith, but I have zero issues with Brent.

As far as the box, I hope they keep it to $250 or less this time around. Funds are a little tight right now. I would love to see something from the Vince / Bruce days just to add to the variety, but I am good with anything. Autumn '72 would be Grate!

Rock on

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

That is only one show away from the one folks are mostly expecting. We've heard a lot of folks requesting Stanley, but far fewer for the Uptown. Even though it has been said the Dead never played a bad show there. He has done this at least a couple times previously with the BCT and the Felt. The second set here looks hearty. The additional Jam from the next night will be sweet. The only thing better than an Estimated>Franklin's would be a Shakedown>Franklin's and we all know there was only one of those. W.A.G.? :-)

P.S. Good 'ol Traffic Lights and Chimneys.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html