• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

I found two sets in my collection today , one sealed and the other one is opened, mint condition. I played the entire set and the Bonus Disc. Pretty sweet concert that I attended and released from the vault., I’m thinking that’s why I have two , I can’t remember. I enjoyed the Dark Star and playing in the band performances on this release. Let it Grow is some primo stuff!the two MSG Jams are a nice segment of the concert. And the foolish heart on the Bonus cd Is beautiful to say the least! 🙏❤️😎
The Dead performed 52 times at the garden. Another great box set that would make. 🙏❤️😎💀
If anyone needs or looking for a copy ,
send me a pm. I’m getting ready for the box set ! Ha

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

please send me a PM so we can get this straightened out. SO sorry.
user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I got this for Xmas a couple of years ago. It is hard to beat 6 shows for less then $30.
Disc 3 of DaP27 is from one of these shows. Still, this is an awesome buy

Rock on

The morality of buying these is a personal decision. On the one hand they are legal in Europe due to their different views and laws on copyright. On the other the Dead get no royalties.
No country believes the writer, artest etc has eternal rights to the material, although thanks to the RIAA the US has by far the strongest laws. An excellent but somewhat dated book on the subject is BOOTLEG! by Clinton Heylin written in the 90's.
As to the current plethora of releases by a lot of favorite artists of many of the posters here , they are unmitigated trash. I've bought a few from CJ&Fish to the Dead to Canned Heat. The yellow box is a fair boot, Canned Heat in Boston is also a fair post Alan Wilson boot possibly worth getting since it's a 21/2 hour show of ok quality. The CJ&F isn't worth wasting your money on it is terrible quality.
For me it's not likely I'll buy anymore. Especially the Dead. Why bother we get massive amounts of great quality releases. If it's an important enough show it will come out and you can be positive the quality from WB/RHINO/DEAD will be eons better.
As for the theory and morality Heylin's book really gives a good look at just what copyright and the reasons behind it are. Worth the time.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Thank you for the feedback. I don’t buy bootlegs, or support them. But this was a gift, so it will remain party of my collection. Love 71 Dead!
The last boot I bought was at a concert I attended for the dead, it’s called Jerry Garcia prison blues cd or something for like ten dollars a long long time again. It sits next to the Pigpen apartment recordings cd also o boot but I love that cd as well, get me my shoot gun or something like that. 🙏❤️😎🤠💀. Jerry on acoustic guitar And a bass player I believe, I actually love that cd of music, some primo Jerry playing with soul.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Had a great time listening to disc one a few weeks back--there's some very unique Garcia sounds/licks going on in set one. Then I finally had the chance a few nights ago to kick back with disc two. Whoa. Total mind melt. To this Head's ears, this is one fantastic Pick. The gang was trying some really cool stuff in December of 1979, as evidenced by this pick, Dick's Vol. 5, and Road Trips 3.1.

Great pick, Dave!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hahaha... Just to tie up the loose ends, I just received a credit note from UPS that matches the amount on the invoice I received from them many weeks ago and never paid. Case closed?

As I mentioned I rarely if ever buy them now, but it is an interesting story to me, the history theory of copyright ( not nearly as straightforward as the RIAA would have you believe).
The golden age was the 90's because Europe had vastly different laws and there were a number of reputable companies. By that I mean they sought out high quantity shows and paid mechanical royalties. The record companies hated them ( and eventually paid off congress to make the laws significantly more draconian and entrap perfectly legitimate companies).
Musicians never saw the money because the big US companies put the checks in their pockets and did not pass on the money.
If you saw a release by Kiss The Stone, Coliseum, Swinging Pig you could buy with confidence that it was top quality and the royalties had been paid. I have that Jerry / John Kahn acoustic show from Oregon State Prison. Even better I have the full 1hr & 40 min show of Neil's 1st Auston City Limit Show. Done in 1984 during his F U David Geffen county period.
Anyway it's an interesting subject to me and the book is great. You do recognize the author's name?

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

, thank you again for some feed back. I like the history as well, never read the book but the authors name sounds familiar. Swinging pigs been around going back a long time. I remember . Some doors titles, the Matrix recordings and such.. I never heard the other recordings you mentioned, sounds interesting, how’s the Audio Quality and what are the sources of the recording? 🙏❤️🤠 love me some 1984 era Jerry and the gang.
Thank you again my brother. Have a blessed grateful day and holiday weekend my friend and to all you other beautiful people hear, god bless and smile smile smile, love is all that matters, long live the Grateful Dead ,! Rock on my brothers & sisters 🙏❤️😎💀🌹
Also happy to read 30 is finding its way home to those who have been waiting for some time now. I agree primo dec 1979 performances for this dead heads liking, I love Pick 31 tremendously 🙏❤️😎 1979 was a grateful year for the dead in my minds of performance style and unity between band mates like Jerry and my man Brent , play it loud ! 😚💨🙃🤭😉

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

The funny thing is although I bought over 400 boots in the 90's I have very few Jerry or Dead since I had so much on tape. You're right Swinging Pig goes back virtually to the beginning around 69 or 70. I have about 50 KTS ( Kiss The Stone) releases. If you seethat name you can buy with confidence. I have better than 50 Hendrix shows but be careful some are great many are fair. As I said I don't really buy them anymore. As for Jerry they seem to be picking up the pace plus reissuing the live Jerry release series although for some reason the Pure Jerry series doesn't seem to be getting the same treatment. Check out ebay. I know some posters hate them but to me if something is important enough it's the place to go. Luckily for me I'm a collector which means I've bought everything Dead and related including bonus they've ever put out. If you have something specific in mind pm me. Although I'm in Thailand for a while now

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

That new Tool album is such a masterpiece. It's still listed under the metal genre, but really is so much more. Thoughtful... hypnotic... weirdly dark and heavy. Brilliant. It's gotten me back into the whole catalog and just kind of elevates everything. Can't wait to see them this October... also got Uli Jon Roth tickets yesterday!

No morality issues here whatsoever with boots. I'll buy without thinking twice, what with bigger problems going on in the world. It comes up regularly, but yes that yellow 1971 is a bargain and some great listening.

\m/

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

. I’m a music collector as well. I did buy my share of boots in my younger days, like mentioned the 90s was the golden age of a plethora of boots made available from many different bands. I think music lovers & boots are apart of the whole scene .Some good, some great and a whole lot of garbage too if you didn’t know where to look or what to look for like swing pigs or kTS for example. I have some lp boots as well being a record collector for over 40 years. Some primo stuff, pretty rare pressings. I had a sweet Jimi Hendrix lp I sent to Daverock, maybe he can share his thoughts about the Hendrix lp, really early Jimi if I remember. Correctly . 🙏❤️🤠
B

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Ah, yes . . . I went to the record shows in the early 90s and purchased way too many overpriced bootleg CDs, too! One of my first purchases was Cornell on three discs for $75(!). I think I was making about $8/hour working part-time in college at the time. But I could not break into the tape trading circle, so I thought that maybe by having a great copy of Cornell (which I had heard was a classic, but had never HEARD) I could use that to get my foot in the door. Never happened, but I ended up paying $75 for three or four discs of Veneta, and some other GD, Dylan, Springsteen, SRV, Hendrix, Beefheart, Little Feat, Steely Dan, Miles, Sonny Rollins . . .

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

I got that 3 cd boot, too. I think it was on a label called Silver Rarities, and it sounded alright. I still have a few in rotation-10/29/77, which is also alright, and 3/1/69, which is no great shakes-but will do until the official release comes out.

I let one of my favourites slip through my fingers in the 70s, on vinyl. It was the final date of David Bowies 1973 tour, when he announced he was retiring. It was notable because it featured Jeff Beck jamming on Jean Genie. When the official release came out, Jeff refused to consent to his performance being included. Shame as he lit a bomb under it (as I remember) as you might expect. And I sold it.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

, I really enjoyed this release with a fresh perspective and set of ears. Beautiful mix by Norman and the band playing within each other as a unity is pretty tight, I loved it all. Over again. As layer night fall of diamonds earlier this

https://m.youtube.com/wat https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_G5HH3cgsso ch?v=tPxNc34tUpI
peaceful day in August! 🙏❤️😎 rock on my friends ! God bless!
https://youtu.be/_G5HH3cgsso
Bob Dylan & Jerry Garcia
– “Let’s Keep It Between Us”
Warfield, San Francisco,
November 16th 1980

Asl!!!! https://m.youtube.com/wat https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_G5HH3cgsso ch?v=tPxNc34tUpI

Serve Somebody 0:00
I Believe In You 5:10
Like A Rolling Stone 9:50
Man Gave Names To All The Animals 15:39
Ramona* 21:19
Can We Keep It Between Us* 26:38
Convenant Woman* 31:03
Senor* 37:30
Simple Twist Of Fate* 41:54
The Groom’s Still Waiting At The Altar* 46:40

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Sorry to bring this up again, but has this situation been resolved? I've been emailing Dr. Rhino with no response so far. Still have a UPS invoice lingering out there as far as I can tell for delivery to Canada.
Thank you.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by rambly

Surely no need to apologise for bringing this up. It should continue to be a current thread until everyone who ordered a copy has got one. Then we can anticipate future releases with a clear conscience.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

No apologies needed I concur !
Never mind what you may have heard or read so far but, This years delivery options were the Niña, Pinta, and The Santa Maria.Lol, Old school! Due too changing of warehouselocations with suppliers inventory.Wishing a speedy & safe. Voyage home to everyone who is still waiting for this primo Dave’s picks release 1979 number 31! Have a grateful day my brothers and sisters! 🙏
❤️😎💀🌹 Ps / Christopher Columbus set sail on August 3, 1492 across the ocean Blue.... my birthday! 🙏❤️😉💀🌹
I’m listening to View from the vault, volume 3, this morning and I’m going to follow it up with volume number 1 that this afternoon. It’s one of those days! 🙃 some primo 1987 to get the old blood flowing again. I dig these two releases pretty much, while waiting for the boxset to land in a few short weeks, oh yeah , it’s time to smile smile smile, let the good ol dead steal your face right off your heads beautiful people! Rock on!

ps I forgot who mentioned the new tool album released August 31! Wow, completely sold out and prices for resale remind me of the dead’s daves Picks and the out of stock Boxsets forsale online. sellers and recent buyers baying lots of bread for this $49 album release , also limited editions as well . 13 years in the making so to say. Pretty impressive folks, in my. Opinion .

user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

First listen to DaP 31 I was pretty disappointed. It just sounded weak. I think it does have a slightly muffled audio quality, but it varies throughout.

Second and subsequent listens reveal lots of great stuff, however. The Brown-Eyed is gorgeous, with four solo turns. And the Jackaroe at the slower tempo just bubbles along. Whenever I hear these slower Jackaroes I expect to hear John Travolta come in with, "I got chills, they're multiplyin'."

Scarlet/Fire is terrific. The Terrapin is pretty bad. Garcia sounds like he'd rather be anywhere else. But he does take two go-rounds in the solo break, very uncommon, and the second one is very different. The jam in Playing is interesting when Brent is using a wobbly sound on his B-3, almost sounds a little like Pink Floyd here. Big ending in Truckin' is fun stuff. Bonus tracks are excellent.

So there is stuff here that's worth going back to. I'll definitely keep listening and hopefully find more great stuff.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Enjoyed some 1987 era Dead music, from the very fine view from the vault volume 4 , 0ackland 24, 26 87 performances, lovd it all over again 🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

After a few emails with UPS, they informed me that my copy was returned to Rhino before it even left the States. According to tracking info, it barely made it out of the warehouse. It was returned under a different tracking number, however, hence why it seems to be lingering in purgatory.

Someone at dead.net informed me that replacements would be sent in a couple weeks. Which seems pretty stupid, since the original package was returned to Rhino. Why not just send the original that was returned? Anyway, I'm guessing your copy of DaP 31 is taking a similar route to mine.

So, no, nothing has been resolved. Let's keep praying. I've already got lots of fine GD to keep me occupied for the time being.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Greetings my brothers & sisters, hope all are well. I listened to the entire warlock boxset of two days, man oh man , I love this release and boxset! Norman did an excelent job on these mixes, wow, my mind had been blown opened and wide for these shows. Beautiful recorded as well! Primo! I found an extra box for sale in a used record store near my home. Just the box itself , no music inside for$ 25, I bought it and use it for one of my stash box’s at home. My opened set in mint sits with my other box sets from the dead with everything included in the release! I did backflips when this was first released and found lots of love contained in the music, production and overt unity to hear these performances from the dead’s magnificent vault! 🙏❤️😎, have a grateful day and weekend my friends and even to my old friend whom I’ve seemed to have lost :(, god bless everyone!
Today, I’m going to be trucking back up to buffalo again soon ;) lol 🙏❤️💀🌹😚💨 Fock on ! .

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 7 months

Enough is enough! 

It really is time that someone took Rhino to task for the unforgivable manner in which they have handled the dispatch of DP 31, particularly to their many customers in Europe.

I know that some European customers have now received their copies but many are still waiting, with no idea when their wait is likely to end, thanks to the complete absence of any information/help from Rhino.

Rhino have displayed staggering levels of incompetence throughout this sorry saga - who, in their right minds, would have decided to use UPS to deliver their overseas orders and NOT expect heavy surcharges to be imposed? This practice is in the very DNA of companies such as UPS & FedEx and anyone who has any knowledge in this field must surely have known that. It is reasonable to assume that the people behind Dave's Picks possess such knowledge (given their business base) and yet they appear to have been taken wholly by surprise when the European problem first reared its head.

It shouldn't have happened but it did and so what are Rhino doing to put things right?

So far as I am concerned, they are doing absolutely nothing.

I am advised to contact Dr.Rhino with my problem - before I go any further, what is this 'Dr.Rhino' nonsense? Let us have a real person's name so that someone can at least be held vaguely accountable for this shambles.

If you are going to hide behind a cloak of anonymity though, do not plead a heavy workload when you are swamped with emails from unhappy customers who are victims of a mess entirely created by YOU!

If you promise to answer emails within "5 business days", the very least you can do is deliver on that promise; I have sent a batch of emails over the last few weeks to the 'good doctor' detailing my situation and requesting assistance; I have not received a single reply.

If you genuinely are swamped with queries from unhappy customers, do something about it and recruit help but, whatever you do, it is YOUR problem, do NOT make it your customer's problem!

I have not had much help from UPS but then I didn't expect any; however, I recently found out that my copy of DP31 was 'returned to sender' on August 7 (!!) which simply beggars belief.

Not only are Rhino ignoring my requests for assistance, it transpires that they have had my order in their possession for more than four weeks and done absolutely nothing to return it to me, despite their assurances in an email (dated 8/8) that all would be well and they would do this and they would do that to get my order to me ... empty words so far as I am concerned but I judge people by their actions, not their words and, on that score, Rhino's performance has been utterly abject.

In a sane and rational world, heads would (and should) roll for this unholy mess and Rhino should expect to see a significant hit to their bottom line but neither of these things will happen because a) Rhino clearly couldn't care less about accountability to its customers and b) those same customers will put up with any amount of inconvenience because there is no alternative source of supply for the product under discussion.

Given that I have such little faith in Rhino, why have I gone to these lengths to express my discontent, I hear you ask.

I have done it to externalise my anger for one thing (like many of you, I have spent many hundreds/thousands of pounds on Dead-related material over the years and this is how I am to be treated?) but I've also done it in the hope that there may be someone reading this forum, from Rhino, who has some appreciation of the importance of good customer relations (not to mention a conscience) and may be motivated to do something that none of their colleagues appear willing to do and that is provide some help ... and ultimately, my copy of DP31!

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

*Sorry to hear your troubles brother. Did you try reaching out to Mary for help on this board?
I beilive she will help you recieve your Daves Pick 31 you burchasef and havenot recived your copy till this very day. God bless my friend. I feel good news will be coming your way shortly, Peace be with you my friend. 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

....I’m hoping everyone is having a grateful weekend so far! I’ve been playing the Dead’s ‘ movie soundtrack , 5 Disc/mini boxset. Since late last night into this morning. I’ve made it to the second disc so far. I head to restart disc one from the beginning when it ended because I wanted to feel that burst of energy and beauty all over again. Asince ive lost my sight , my other senses are on overdrive! It’s just human nature. Well I should write , All Living things! nature of survival
These performances sound primo with even all the Audio difficulties in vault recordings used to produce this release.
I love hearing shows that I haven’t heard in a long while. I always find something new to blow my mind & soul. Rock on my brothers and sisters! Peace be with you all, god bless. 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Please send me a PM with the details. Thanks and so sorry for the trouble.
user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

#18812 arrived today at the Isle Of Fehmarn in Northern Germany
On August 23 I've send a mail to Dr. Rhino and asked for a replacement due to the well known trouble with UPS.
On September 4 I got a mail that my replacement has been shipped via DHL. Some minutes ago DHL knocked on my door with the package in his hand.
Thanks to Dr. Rhino for his helping hand.
And all the others in Europe who are still waiting I hope that they will get their copy soon.
Gar-see-ya
JJ

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Good to hear that the replacement copies have shipped, and seemingly efficiently this time. I was lucky enough to eventually receive my original copy late in August, but I am well aware that there are punters whose original copy shall never reach them. You gotta feel for those folks who have been waiting for more than a month now with nothing to do but jump through hoops to try and get things sorted.

Apparently I'm not a robot and I don't even have to prove it.

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

Well looks like I won't be getting a copy of Daves 31, even though I'm a subscriber. Dead.net gave me a refund, which is nice, but what I really wanted was the CD. Apparently shipping one to me is just not possible? Pretty disappointing. And I am in the US, so I really don't understand what happened here.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

It's been a long strange trip, but I've finally got my hands on DaP 31. DHL is pretty unreliable in these parts, so I was a bit worried to receive an email from Dr. Rhino saying that a replacement copy is on its way. But I guess no need to worry, as it's here and I'm happy.

And by far the lowest number I've ever received! I wonder if this is a result of making up so many replacement copies - did they just start counting again at 1? How did they number the replacements? Not that I care about numbering or limited editions - just curious how they did it. Anyone else get a replacement with oddly low numbers?

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Hicks

Hicks was denied a DaP31 and given a refund?
You know there are extra DaP 31’s sitting around at Rhino, Shaggy just got one, and it was numbered.
Unnumbered ones have been reported to have been received as replacements during past releases.

Hicks,
You should PM Marye.

They weren’t kidding when they said they were switching warehouses and everyone was on their own.

We are on our own.
On our own.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Thankfully I received DaP31 last month in Canada with no major delay. Unfortunately, UPS then sent me an import invoice for $90. Today I received another invoice from UPS for a late fee. Not sure what to do as I've emailed Dr. Rhino a few times with no response and I can only imagine what kind of rabbit hole I'll fall down if I call UPS Canada to see if they can figure it out. I'll try anyways. I feel like Jerry would have appreciated the Kafka-esque absurdity of this bureaucratic tangle with folks the world over working together to figure out how to get the music to the people. To be continued...

Well what do you know, I got a shipping confirmation e-mail yesterday afternoon and unlike the one I got back in July, the tracking number is active this time. Woo hoo! Don't want to count my chicks just yet, but I'm glad that it looks like it is finally on the way to me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Hicks please keep us posted. As well, others that are still waiting please keep us up to date. Rambly, make sure to keep us posted as to what UPS says! Unfortunately to them it's more about the money than the music...What a mess!

P.S. My screen is small. Is that a hydrant or a tree? :-P

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Hicks

Cool to know that you didn’t get shut out Hicks!
Hard to know what kind of organization exists during the transition to the new warehouse.
I finally got around to ordering last years Pacific Northwest box in July. After three weeks, and my card being charged, I didn’t receive the box, so I called customer service. They gave me a ticket number, escalated it to the warehouse, and told me that someone would contact me. The next day they canceled my order and refunded my CC.
So the next day I reordered the set, and now I’ve been waiting an additional twenty days for that order. Called customer service yesterday and was told the same thing. This time I told them NOT to cancel the order!
Usually the folks on the other end try to make things right, but the warehouse transition, the latest Dave’s Picks Europe fiasco, the new Giants box, and fulfilling the Woodstock box orders must be overwhelming. I’m just hoping I didn’t initiate another false cancellation request!
But they told me yesterday that things were still shipping daily! We’ll see!
Good luck!

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Giants boxset artwork is beautiful, bella! I love it, great art production Team, Primo! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Thanks for advices! Today I recieved a letter with a reminders fee so I called UPS and asked about it. The woman who answered said she knew about the problem and that she was going to reverse the invoice and that I could tear the letter with the reminders fee.

I really thought the whole matter had already been taking care of since I wrote Dr Rhino about the matter a month ago with the tracking number and everything. The woman in the phone said no, they havent recived any information from the sender about my invoice. The reason I thought that was I havent recieved any answer from Dr Rhino. I think that is kind of lame but now it doensn't matter since the problem's solved. :-)

Simonrob:
Well, I think being locked up for a while would be okey if we are talking a box set with what is still in the vault of bits and pieces from fall 1966 to new years eve 1968. All in as best quality as possible! :-D

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

I've long lamented all the whining about shipping issues, disc fails, etc., and you know what?

I finally got screwed. My Dave's Picks #31 is a nice low number, 5093/20000. But it isn't much good that disc #2 begins skipping and becomes unplayable halfway through.

I have filled out the help form twice - once in early August, once a month later. Nothing back, crickets. All I'm asking for is a disc two replacement.

I paid for the annual subscription last winter - gave them the date paid, PayPal transaction #, everything. Only thing I don't have is my ORDER NUMBER (where the hell would I find that?) Not sure if that's why they've been blowing me off, but I will get to the bottom of this eventually.

I'm not losing any sleep over this, but now I understand people's disappointment in total shit customer service.

\m/

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

.... good day my brothers & sisters, hope all is well with everyone.
I’ve seen a lot of post about favorite releases.
Does any one have a favorite record LP Dead released?
My favorite to date, all released Dead LPs over the years? 1967 Shrine Release. Love it! Beautiful sound Record - Live Dead at its finest in my Deadhead world! Have a grateful Sunday folks, god bless!🙏❤️😎🌹💀
For pure sound primo mix @ mastering.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I think your order number should be in the email you received when you purchased the subscription. So, if you still have the email you ought to be able to find it there.

I hope this helps. Have a grateful day everyone! :-)

user picture

Member for

5 years 6 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

Six emails, two forum posts, a few PMs to marye and I got my Daves 31 delivered yesterday, #4429/20000! I'm thankful to have it, but that does seem like quite a bit of effort to expend to get something shipped out that I ordered. Thanks to marye if you had a hand in getting this resolved, appreciate it. Now time to spin some prime 79!

Oh yeah and Ledded, you can also find your order number in your shipping confirmation e-mail.

Not sure why they wouldn't be able to find you with just your e-mail, but hope that helps.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

Its a million miles away from what I like most about The Dead these days , but I played American Beauty yesterday. I wouldn't go so far as to say its my favourite, but its still a beautiful album.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Hicks

Your bill for £83 will show up in a few days.

Yes, even though you live in the U. S., your DaP31 was first shipped to the UK, and then delivered to you.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

... I understand what you mean about playing live shows released on LP...so many sides and flipping recorders and most of the time or case the releases have incorrect song arrangements track listings , to cater the flow of the performance. I heard from a friend the giants boxset on record lp is PRIMO !!!x10. Waiting for some reviews to be published before I buy a copy. 🙏❤️😎🌹💀II’m think that’s why I love the steal your face lp release a lot! Sweet mix and mastering, recordings , the works! On the most recent LP issue! I believe it was last October for last years release for Roctobrr!
But the 1967 shrine lp is pure Audio primo sounding pressing, I think I enjoy it tons for than the cd release in terms of sound. My tubes light up in delight and my woodedfloor plank hum comfort on your naked toes, lol 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

...happy Monday to all my brothers& sisters out there in deadland! ...I hope everyone had a grateful weekend! I can’t remember who but Someone mentioned liking the new Tool album not to long ago,which was released on 8/31/19. I’m also a fan of ‘Tool’! I don’t have all their albums but I do have most! Lol, I would my collection consists of about, let’s say, 50/50 cDs & Vinyl records. Besides loving their music, another attraction of mine for the band is the “art production” in each and everyone of their releases ! pRIMO with a capital P lolha ha in my head the only true contender to the Grateful Dead ‘Art production team!” Anyway, the main reason I’m writing this post is because this morning I decided to play Daves Pick #27 BSU Pavilion, Boise state university ,Boise, ID. 9/2/83! Is probly not a very popular Daves pick for the most part of the series a lot of fans signed up for the subscription are not fans of the Audio Quality and choice of a performance in 1983,far more better choices or performances than this concert. But I’ve found to love it after repeated listenings and my state of mind at any givin time. Now to rap this post up. Play the Dead’s performance of ‘Space on the third disc on Daves Pick 27! Then put on tools new album on you’d swear it’s the same song or instrumental sound effects & recordings. At first I really thought I put on the new tool cd but it was Daves 27 space,! Crazy ,it made feel like I was in the twilight zone series film lol ha! Rock on my friends god bless! 🙏❤️😎🌹💀
I gotta take a nap! 🙃✌️🤣

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Any updates on your situation? Did you have it sorted yet? Any folks still waiting or having problems? Please keep us aware until everything has landed where it should. Thanks.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

I spoke to UPS today and they confirmed that they are aware of the problem and told me I could ignore the invoice and late charge I had received. They said the shipper was addressing the issue with UPS. Thank you to everyone behind the scenes working on fixing the issue and looking forward to DaP 32.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

...I have been fortunate enough to view an art proof /concept for the cover forDaves Pick #32It’s my favorite cover for the series for this past years My favorite was Daves Pick #31 until I saw this proof sheet, I’m going to go so far to say I believe it’s one of the best from the entire Daves Picks series! The art proof I sawhad no date or concert venue , Absolutly no fonts/text of any kind except the Daves Pick emblem at the top of the cover art proof sheet. Have a grateful day my brothers & sisters, peace be with you all! Have yourselves a blessed and safe weekend,& Rock On! My friends, the Giants new boxset should be arriving to most homes in the next couple of weeks! Primo Audio mix and mastering within these beautifully amazing original recordings in the Deads Vault! Both audio and visual I should write. Well take care everyone , I’m off to get my treatment done at the hospital this morning, talk soon my friends, god bless🙏❤️😎💀🌹🤠

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

count me in as a canadian who received two separate invoices from ups for DaP 31 - the customs duty and a late fee. I paid both immediately, wrote Dr. Rhino, and they promptly refunded my Dave's subscription cost to my paypal account. speedy and proper resolution. here's hoping it's sorted for the Giants set and vol. 32.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html