• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Of course most of the show visuals occured from 87-95. There are some sleeper recordings from the Passaic in the late 70s.
Maybe we will see a Shoreline multi year release? The Winterland of the 80s and 90s.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

While most of the films of complete shows seem to come from the latter years, there are all sorts of intriguing snippets from the very earliest years. The earliest I have got is a dvd from Key-Z-Productions, of, I think, the Fillmore Acid Test from 1/8/66. There is the famous Playboy After Dark clip from 1969, and a few songs on the Family Dog dvd from February 1970, which also has Santana and Jefferson Airplane. I wonder if any more of the Dead's set was filmed. Lots of bits and bobs on youtube, too, I should imagine.

Its unlikely, but it would be great if a dvd could come out of them playing in the first few years. History in the making.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...hello All my brothers & sisters, I’m happy to see and read pretty much everyone is excited and is dig’n The news for the next installment of Daves Picks Series which is 12/3/79! I’m grateful for having this Performance finally released by the Grateful Dead. Next is the box set but that’s a another story of a horse with different colors...
Right now I’m listening to 9/17/72, “Dicks Picks” #23, Baltimore! Phil is playing excelent on this release, once again my wood floors are vibrating me in place , lol, “Primo” set list as well lol. By the third disc your in heaven,nirvana or what’re you like to call far eden...play this performance LOUD!
🙏❤️😎
On the flip-side, For All you Doors fans on board, on Oct. 18th 2019, the band is releasing their forth album, ‘The Soft Parade’ from 1969, 50th Anniversary edition. Here’s the whole package deal ( Vinyl & 3CD) Rock on!
*Track Listings
Disc: 1
Tell All The People (2019 Remaster)
Touch Me (2019 Remaster)
Shaman's Blues (2019 Remaster)
Do It (2019 Remaster)
Easy Ride (2019 Remaster)
Wild Child (2019 Remaster)
Runnin' Blue (2019 Remaster)
Wishful Sinful (2019 Remaster)
The Soft Parade (2019 Remaster)
Who Scared You (2019 Remaster)
Disc: 2
Tell All the People (Doors Only Mix)
Touch Me (Doors Only Mix) [New Robby Krieger Overdub]
Runnin' Blue (Doors Only Mix) [New Robby Krieger Overdub]
Wishful Sinful (Doors Only Mix) [New Robby Krieger Overdub]
Who Scared You (Doors Only Mix)
Roadhouse Blues - Screamin' Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek)
(You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further - Screamin' Ray Daniels [a.k.a. Ray Manzarek]
I'm Your Doctor - Screamin' Ray Daniels (a.k.a. Ray Manzarek)
Touch Me (Doors Only Mix)
Runnin' Blue (Doors Only Mix)
Wishful Sinful (Doors Only Mix)
Disc: 3
I Am Troubled (2019 Remaster)
Seminary School (a.k.a. Petition the Lord with Prayer)
Rock Is Dead (Complete Version)
Chaos...
...love it, Finally a ‘Complete’ ( let’s hope they do.) Version Of ‘Rock Is Dead’...Rock On!

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I’m checking out all the set lists from that first week of December 1979 and bravo 👏 Dave ! It is ultimately about the performance for me but that set list is hot! I think he chose the best set list:) after a couple weeks of intense listens I’ll put that set list up against the performance and hopefully the performance is just as good!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

OK, the vinyl copy of 2/28 landed here yesterday. OOOOH, the vinyl looks so, so, soooo black. Not much more to say about it. Really need to get turntable hooked up!

Anyone ever hear, see or whatever the time frame for releasing the other 3 night from the Fillmore. I got a feeling if you have all 5 night in limited vinyl it will be worth some coin down the road. Was the Fillmore box set of cd's "limited"?

Side wonder - I thought I read here once it was never "the fillmore West", just the fillmore OR the fillmore East. and yet this set is labeled fillmore west. Opinions, thoughts?

Can't believe I keep buying vinyl shit:-) Good thing my wife has money I can piss away without her knowing! Doesn't seem as bad to spend money on things I don't need, with money she has:-)

Box set with visuals that takes 8 months work is going to be F@CKING SWEET !!!!!!1980!!!!!!! How Much $$$?

~ I need that cash to feed that jones ~

Shakedown Street -> Samson And Delilah
+*+*+ High Time +*+*+
Estimated Prophet -> Eyes Of The World -> Space ->
Drums -> Black Peter -> Around And Around -> Johnny B. Goode
U.S. Blues

http://www.psilo.com/dead/showshow.php?band=1&date=1979-11-29

~ 11.29.79 ~ Cleveland Public Auditorium

excited for the Dave's Picks 31 , i was hoping for some of the songs Wharf Rat , Brown-Eyed Women, Sugaree , Shakedown Street , Scarlet Begonias, Fire On the Mountain. Got a few

"Open

up

your windows

Cause the

Candyman's

in town"

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

LMG

Is that '71 box coming with a video of Herouville, France 6/21? hahaha

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Now that would be grand.. That show has just got to come out.

Some great video, but similar to 4/17/72 and 8/27/72, why didn't they record the whole show? (I know.. because film was fargin' expensive in the early 70's)

Still.. that show has got to come out one day, hopefully with a clean copy of the 35mm film it was shot with.

Looking for a Chateau.....

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I may finally get to see a MUATM it is playing only 10 miles from the house at the Cinema Draft House in West Hazleton, Pa. Unlike a theater this has tables it's more like a restaurant they serve alcohol and food.

6/21/71 video I think they used up all the film they had and it wasn't enough to film the whole show.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Maybe somebody finally unearthed the video footage of the t.v. broadcast of 12/31/70? Drool.

I finally got around to watching the release a few minutes ago. Clocking in at almost a half hour, this is one of the longer ones he has made so I had to carve out some time.

I was initially hesitant to agree with the flood of PM's I have been getting over the last 18 months about Dave being a foreign spy... but after watching the release video my worst fears were confirmed.

There were several clear communications between Dave and the spy boat that can be seen in the distance going back and forth.. his favorite beach location is actually "The Meet" and he communicates through some sort of code with either hand gestures, log rolling foot maneuvers or as in this months video sending a signal to the spy boat in the background by flashing the boat with his reflective sunglasses. On, then off, three on's in a row, two off's then back on. I mean.. what is it with the sunglasses? Then I remembered the large Russian barge a few releases ago stalled in the backdrop of the video and realized he was actually sending code to the little Russian spy boat in the background of this video. I haven't quite decrypted the code they are using.. this one is new to all of us.

He's a crafty critter that Lemieux.. thanks to all that picked up on this. We can only hope there is no Bolo connection.

Over and out..

Perhaps the dates and locations of the picks themselves tell a story.

Shit.. gotta run, my server is being inundated with mysterious pings and password try's and fail's.

Looking for a Chateau..

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The Fillmore was the dance hall in San Fran where Bill Graham presented shows from 1966 - 1968. He then took over the Carousel Ballroom and renamed it Fillmore West. He presented shows here from 1968- 1971. As the name shows, it was a few blocks west of the original Fillmore venue. The Fillmore East was Bill's club in NYC. It was opened from 1968 - 1971.

So there were 3 different Fillmore halls.

Rock on

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

Feeling sort of neutral about the box set this time around.

I mean, I’m sure I’ll nab one regardless (I always nab a copy of whatever’s new).

But I’m not chomping at the proverbial bit the way I typically do.

Maybe I’m a robot after all...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Could it be a box of New Years shows complete with video?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Cranking DaP 7 Disc 2 at high volume. Holding on tight with anticipation for Good Lovin'!

Just slid into FOTM and Weir has introduced the slide... :-)

-edit- Good Lovin' was much better than I expected it to be. How about an April '78 box? :-)

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

Maybe a boxset with video, if available, of all the NYE's that have not been released yet?

I'd be psyched for any of the other suggested guesses too.

I'm pretty sure there were three Fillmore's for the period we care about:

SanFrancisco:
Fillmore Auditorium (65 -68, known as New Old Fillmore 69 - 70, aka The Elite Club 1980's, reopened as The Fillmore in 1994).
Fillmore West (formerly Carousel Ballroom - 68 - 71)

NewYorkCity:
Fillmore East (68 - 71)

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

"The judge decreed it, the clerk he wrote it.
Clerk he wrote it down indeed-e....."

Dick's Picks vol 22 1968 Tahoe....pure smoke!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

That Tahoe 68 show has been stuck in my car CD player for the last month. What a ****buster. As good as the 2/14 show. Just slightly dodgy sound but it's so good it doesn't matter much.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Bill Graham opened Fillmore East on 3/8/1968.
On 7/5/1968 he began business at the Carousel Ballroom - and re-named it Fillmore West to differentiate between the two locations (and it was his 'brand'.)
The Fillmore West is physically located east of the original Fillmore Auditorium [now The Fillmore].

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

I was just given word that I won't be able to attend this years event due to a Knights of Columbus commitment with that being said my prediction is a little far fetched but not unrealistic I'm going with a box set featuring a venue say 10 Nights at the Garden (Boston), 8 at The Fillmore or 7 at The Spectrum (Philly) with video, instead of a run of shows from a specific tour. To me it doesn't matter as my Dead Fund has 852 bucks in it so whatever it is I'm preordering it. Will it be available for preorder that night just like SSDD was? Who remembers going to the theater and once it was announced it was available for dead.net leaving the theater for the lobby to order SSDD swag? I spent 12.95 for a ticket & when the event was over I had spent 196.26 needless to say it was the most expensive movie I ever seen & I didn't even have a date or go out to dinner afterward I saw most of SSDD & spent a lot of money on dead.net. To this day it was the BEST time I ever had at a movie theater, it was also the MOST expensive.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

runnin' 'way with me....

But I think JimInMD was just calling me out on '72 Roosevelt Stadium.

HOWEVER, I attended the show almost exactly two months later upon their 9-19-72 return to that lovely, post-apocalypse-like venue...

As a freshly minted 15-yr-old with a giant lump of brown Afghani sheesh. Made a lot of new friends.

Late '72 and all of '73, they did tend to do 3rd sets or long, multi-song encores. Call it what you like.

I remember thinking at the time, after standing in the broiling sun for 5 hrs with little to eat or drink except, um, you know, those tiny squares of paper with the funny cartoons on them, that hey, anytime the band wants to call it quits I'm good! At that tender age and stage, I simply lacked the stamina for the full monte. Actually, those little squares of paper were our saving grace.

That's why it's so great to kick back with tapes, the fridge and bathroom only steps away. If I could use Jim's wayback machine to return to those shows, my one stipulation is that I get to bring a hat, snacks and WATER!

Missed it by that much..

My mistake.. but great story nonetheless. The wayback is yours anytime.. it runs on mushroom dust and it's ok to tip the host.

Wissinoming.. now that's discipline. You already have your GD stash jar filled with enough quarters, nickels and dimes for a full on 30 trips. Most of the relationships and marriages of people on this boards won't last if Dave drops another Boxzilla on our doorsteps.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

....my interest level will drop. Unless it's 12.31.69 with video. Then I'm back in the mix. No way that's on celluloid, but I love being surprised.
A new captcha features buses. Making more sense.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Like Ozzy says "It a shot in the dark".

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Agreed, basically it's side job money from working at the dragstrip and a little from my tax refund. Trust me if it weren't for that stash my wife would pack up the kids, the dog & the goldfish & would ramble on outta here quicker than August West can uncork a bottle of Ripple.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

It costs my wife about $2500 a year to smoke cigarettes, so I kind of feel like my Dead box set purchases and DaP subscription still leave a lot of room for other frivolous cd purchases before I would come close to that amount. She doesn't really mind my Dead box set purchases anyway though.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by wissinomingdeadhead

You rang?

I've got the ripple, we call it the magic jack, and the corks are popping!!

So glad I subscribe, so that when I return from whiskey hunting in the great Tarheel state I don't have to fret that the next Dave's has sold out.

I was ruminating to myself just the other day that I was ready for an early Brent show. This show seems just.exactly.perfect. Thanks Dave Man!

I missed the main ones in England, my first being Pink Floyd at Knebworth in 1975. But I have to say, they weren't much fun, really. The big ones - I saw-The Stones at Knebworth the following year (in the distance), Reading etc.I usually found myself stoned out of my mind miles from the stage. They were an adventure, but they weren't really about music. The smaller, free ones, were better-but again-the music was only ever incidental for me.

The last one I went to was the so called world music festival, WOMAD, in 1999. After a festival break of 20 years, I couldn't believe how well organised it was-lots of different stages, food to eat...and for me a girlfriend and a hotel to go back to each night. I was still out of my mind, but by then I was out of my mind in comfort. And even that was 20 years ago. I wouldn't go to one now if you paid me.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

My interest will also drop if it's a new year's box, not the best of shows, they always blew the big ones. I'm still predicting a early 90's box with Bruce and Vince, bring it.
Cigarettes are the worst thing in the world, smoked them for 52 years, took 10 years to finally quit them and now, smoke free for 6 months and boy do I feel better. Jerry also had the habit and he hated it at the end too, but he could not quit which I can relate to, it was like giving up an old friend, the one who was always there, your reward for doing whatever that you hated, or loved, or just did. Jerry could not give them up, and it killed him. They tried to kill me too, but I was able to get away. The most addictive thing I have ever experienced, worse than cocaine or heroin, and they will kill you, just takes a long time. Tell your wife to put them down, she will love the fact that she has all this money now that she did not have earlier, buy her some candy, get on a knee and beg her to quit. A great way to show her that you still love her and want to grow old with her. Unfortunately, you will have to come up with another reason to spend big bucks on a dead box.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Just been checking the schedule and if I’m reading it right we here in the uk have a show time of 9pm on the 1st ( = 4pm NY / 3pm Chicago time ) whereas over the pond in NY you don’t start till 7pm on the 1st ( = midnight here in London ) meaning we’ll be well on our way home having seen the new box set before you guys have stepped foot in the picture house . 🤔 😼

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

How come I never get captured ?

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Therefore we must be due a reveal before August 1st . You boys wouldn’t let us limeys have first dibs . 😸

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by carlo13

I would shit if the reveal turned out to be this set all along... I also like the smaller box sets, I could not afford 30 trips, but there have to be a few people still working through that monster

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by deadtony

I don't see it being the Woodstock or NYE Box.. but who knows.

There were a couple decent New Years shows though.. I like 81 and 82 for example. Still, it doesn't seem the New Years offerings match the hype they are putting into this. I have no idea what they have up their sleeves.

Man.. it's going to be hot on the East Coast today.. Stay cool all..

Looking forward to the next couple weeks.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

NYE box was a stretch.

LMG I think it was him said something like we would all be happy with the box. Sounds to me like we're getting a box that has a little of every era over decades and Dave said they were going to mix it up with different formats this year. Sounds to me like a NYC box containing shows from every era and that it would include the Giants '89 and '91 with video.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Possibly Fall 1991 tour broken into two boxes like Spring 90.

Since we’ll find out at MUAM which is a 1991 show I believe it will be something closer to that 91 era. Who knows(Dave does).

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by WharfratWhitey

So, when it was announced, it looked as if it would be playing here in town, now it seems not, and I work til ~7 on Thursdays, but see that in Southern Pines, about 30 miles from me, they'll be showing it on Saturday 8/3 at 4:30. But the page itself says right at the top "One night only". I didn't know where else to post this query: is it really showing 2 days later in some places? I would like to see it and was bummed to realize it falls on a Thursday, one of my late days at work...

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by WharfratWhitey

I am not sure but suspect most of the fall 91 shows were likely recorded as two track DAT's. Does anyone have any better info on this? If so, it might make more sense to test the 91 waters by adding a show or two to the Dave's Picks series.

I get the feeling this years box might be hard for us to guess, it doesn't sound like it fits the mold for previous boxes.

I delved into the oft overlooked Dicks Picks 31, August 4 and 5, 1974 (Philly and NJ). What an underrated release.. I have always loved it. I was just rolling off a relisten to Dicks Picks 12 recorded a little more than month earlier which gave me a great opportunity to compare and contrast. I really dig these shows and since it's the last listened to, it's clearly the better of the two. :D

Anyway, great pick and a very good recording. That opening PITB at just under 26 minutes is sublime.

Have a great weekend all. Don't forget to hydrate.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

7/13/76

Orpheum box?

prolly not (we've already got 7/17/76)

Greek. It's gotta be Greek to me.

Greek box! Greek box! Greek box!

or

Ark box! Ark box! Ark box!

My own versions of Yellow Dog story:

what does a dosed frog say?

"Greeeeeek.....Greeeeeeeek.......Greeeeeeeeek...."

what does a dosed dog say?

"ARK!!! ARK!!! ARK!!!"

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

There are a few people on this site that know what the box is ..
I bought my tickets last night, $16 a piece for me and a buddy.
If you are looking for examples of 91 Dead check out View from the Vault 2, June 14, 1991. Good bonus material from 1990. Close to the date of this year's MUATM release. Do you like accordions?
And Dick's 17, from 91. This one doesn't get a lot of play at my house.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

JimImMd you are spot on!

I’ve been listening to DiP31 ( “shoes suede shoes “ 😂!)the past couple of days, on Spotify but I’ve been doing some digging looking for a reasonable price for me and no luck...:( but on the upside it’s box release day for me hopefully and my July 78 box set will be waiting for me!

user picture

Member for

9 years

The Eyes of the World from this show was just posted on youtube on the grateful dead channel. If anyone is interested

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html