• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Well, I am super happy about this latest installment of Dave's Picks. I was definitely on board with a 1979 show as I was calling for ti like many others. I too was hoping for 12/1, but I would lime to see that released with 11/30 as they are both from the Stanley Theater. The format fits the second Dave's PIcks in the year when we get the bonus disc which would have to be next year's subscription. I don't see that happening, however I could be wrong. Hopefully they both will see an official release one day in some format.

However I am still excited for this show -12/3. I am not familiar with it, so that makes it better. As Dave stated in his seaside chat, the fall of 1979 has many great shows. I love the New Year's Eve run, and every other show I have heard has been good. And as Dave also stated, they really were stretching songs out. Brent really brought so much to the band and it is evident in this tour. I haven't listened to too many 1980 shows, but I do think there was a slight drop off (I am not speaking of acoustic sets) when compared to the The fall of 1979. Certainly 1980 is not a bad year in my opinion it just seems like they didn't stretch things out as much as they did in the fall of 1979. Again I might be wrong and I am happy if I am. Its all good.

As for the box, I am buying it - don't care what it is. As a carry over from the DaP 30 comments section, I just got my July 1978 box so I am working through that. That along with DaP 31 will keep me busy until I get the new box. Now with the possibility of video, if that is indeed the case, I am inclined to think it would be in the 87-95 time frame as others have said. . However it could be any old available footage from older shows and the then CDs of the shows themselves. A few of you mentioned 6/21/71- which would be cool. That show has really cool Hard to Handle. Also they did film stuff for the closing of the Fillmore West (7/2/71) so there is that as a possibility. My other long shot would be more film from the Festival Express in 1970. Sam Cutler has uploaded footage from that trip that has Lovelight from one of the stadium shows. There is also film from the free show the boys did to avoid the riots to get in the main event. Maybe there is a stash of this footage that is going to be released. It is certainly fun to speculate.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Someone mentioned the difference between the barbarity of early festivals (my choice of words) and today's festivals.

Here's a contrast for ya. 9 June 73, RFK, probably 100+ degrees, a couple of hard to find water fountains for every 10,000 people, maybe 25,000-30,000 people in the crowd. No idea if any food was sold because we had like $2 in our pockets. T-shirt, jeans, sneakers, blotter and aviator shades was it, if I recall.

Between RFK and Watkins Glen 6-7 weeks later, Bill Graham apparently realized that 10s of 1000s of badly dehydrated fans, with expiration dates tatooed on their foreheads, was bad for business. Maybe he even felt a twinge of responsibility. But he upgraded the, um, concert experience....

So when we streamed into the Watkins Glen concert site (they waved me through with my ticket, which I promptly handed through the fence to someone trying to get in) Bill had giant palettes of gallon jugs of water waiting for us. The jugs were cool to the touch! We each grabbed one and literally that's how we stayed alive for the next two days. On Friday evening we were laying out on our sleeping bags, using the jugs as pillows, when the ABB, then the Band, then the GD did soundchecks. Cool evening, laying on a sleeping bag within 50-60 feet of the stage on Jer's side, passing the pipe, while the GD unloaded a 2-hour soundcheck on us. Good times.

When we woke up, someone was passing around one of those mini-cereal boxes piled high with brown mescaline and we all had a good snort for breakfast. Topped it off with a half of a four-way blotter and at freakin' NOON the GD were on the stage, looking as bewildered as we were. to be there, then. I tried not to look back much, because it was people in every direction as far as the eye could see. Easier on the brain just to watch the bands.

To return to my now obscure point, Bill Graham upgraded the festival experience with ... jugs of water. To my knowledge, there was no food for sale except the enterprising hippies themselves. (Think refried beans on a tortilla -- the original veggie burrito.) Oh, one clear memory: a food truck in the parking area, with side window open and scale in sight, selling multiple types of dope like a freakin' ice cream truck. We hung out for a while (didn't need supplies) just because it was so fun to see it all out in the open. I do not recall seeing any cops for days. Everyone seemed to realize that putting those three bands together was a major event and all were so pleased that, in fact, strangers were stopping strangers just to shake their hand. That was new.

Today, food, drink, bathrooms, chairs... and I STILL WOULD NOT GO EVEN IF PAID!!

Glad I went when I did as a 15-year-old with 3-4 buddies, we hitchhiked hundreds of miles to get there and back. Enjoyed it all then, but never again. Red Rocks and 9,999 of my friends is the best I can do, maybe twice each year.

The biggest difference I felt between the free festivals of the mid-late 70s and the festivals of today, as experienced by me in 1999 ( which is almost today to me) is that there was a frisson of danger at the free festivals in the 70s. They were staged by seemingly fully unpaid up members of the anti establishment, and the crowd was made up of people who appeared to live in tents all the year round. They hadn't really "dropped out"-they had never been "in" in the first place Add to that various biker gangs, and latterly punks, and you had quite an interesting combination of people. Add all sorts of psychedelics, space cakes, speed, strong cider.. and see what happens. This is what Glastonbury was like when I went in 1978-about 500 people were there, I think. I really felt as though I had left civilisation behind for a few days.

Nowadays Glastonbury Festival is screened live on mainstream television, and is as much a part of the establishment entertainment industry as the Wimbledon tennis competition. In short, the festival scene was taken over by the establishment and sold back at an exorbitant price.

hoping it's something in the 4-6 show range. Those are always fun and (relatively) affordable for what you're getting. As cool as it would be to get a set from the 60s, I would prefer something from when the band was more evolved. I'd love a box set from the late 80s but I'm guessing there isn't a chance in hell that's happening. Regardless, I'll love it like I do all the shows in my collection - c'mon Dave, the anticipation is killing me!

have a great weekend everyone, and if you're an east-coaster like me, stay cool!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Terrific news: Resonance Records is releasing a 7CD/10 LP sets of all the early King Cole Trio recordings(1936-1943), with the great Oscar Moore on guitar. Coming in November.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I agree. I was taken to some of these mid to late 70s free fests by a hippie neighbor along with his son and I remembert the kindness and freedom of the people and not worried about talking to people much older than i. It had nothing to do with profit. I only remember the fests being in boston and cape cod. It also melded people of the disco era and that was cool to see. I miss those days as a kid.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Just got this today and man does it sound good so far.

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Agree, the simple twist of fate is just superb.. that john kahn bass solo, then jerry pouring colors out of his guitar.. This could never get old.. Happy Friday all!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

If you were there not under the roof you remember... Dave just played the second set from the Other One to Morning Dew and encore of Lovelight on Today in Grateful Dead history.. I really like the first set. If you are a Desolation Row fan, (and i know Jim in MD and I have spoke about this one before) one of the best versions. Sugaree is strong, Althea, West LA Fadeaway also. But listen to the Desolation Row into Deal to end the first set!!!!!! Downhill from Here is part of 7/17 and 7/19. Watch the expression on Bill's face drumming during the jam in Deal, I think that says it all.. Stay cool everyone... Bob t

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Beer run. Man is it humid in Mass..

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

Oscar Moore is a bad ass mo'fo on guitar...I will prolly put aside any notions on the upcoming Dead Box (unless of course it's 1972 or earlier) and be getting the Cole set...Have you heard "The Oscar Moore Quartet with Carl Perkins" (no, not that one, rather a fine pianist from the late 40's, early 50's)...talk about smooth sailing...his older Brother Johnny backed the great Charles Brown...

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

"Ain't no bread in the bread box". This is the best version I've heard!! Garcia vol. 2 is also very good. Love the smiling jerry face on vol.11.

I too smoked for 50+ years but unlike some , if I could I'd go buy a pack of Marlboro Reds right now. Get rid of the human cloning law and make me a new pair. Contrary to the health industry your lungs don't get better. As a matter of fact if you've gone past the point of no return, ie. emphysema, there is no turning back. Oh well we makes our bed then we settle in. I'm hoping for 10 years of Dead/ Jerry/ FZ before I Go.
You do recall what Frank called his Winston's....food

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Our resident artist is one tricky son of a gun!
I see a skeleton head when I look at Dave's 31.
Have I just smoked too much dope?
Mind you - I'm not complaining, just saying....
Definitely looking forward to this one! Keep em coming Dave!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by MarinSmith

..... perhaps a cover art tee would help. I would buy one. There's a dragon with matches.
Years ago, my friends and I went tripping at Mount Charleston, the local peak in Vegas. A storm was rolling in, but we were oblivious until it was almost too late. Hunkered down in a 6x10 cave. Started seeing Aztecs pounding drums. Went outside said cave and saw a plaid dragon climbing over the ridge and flung a match at me.
Luckily I wasn't burnt.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Who came up with that line, originally?

My old man smoked in the car when I was a kid. I hated - HATED it. And my hating it annoyed the hell out of him, and so it went. And you know what? Despite doing everything else, literally almost everything short of needles, I never smoked cigarettes. Back when the old man finally quit in the early 1980s, we watched him take his pack of smokes (he went from Old Gold to Vantage) and drop them in the driveway, then symbolically back his pickup truck over and over the pack until they were flat, then he dropped them into one of those old Oscar the Grouch metal garbage cans and closed the lid.

Two hours later, he's out there digging the pack out of the can and feebly trying to piece one together and get it to light. I am absolutely not making any of this up. They didn't light, he stuck with his original intent, and, despite becoming a big grouch himself for several months after, he quit cold turkey and never smoked again. In my father's recovery, not just from smoking, we learned to play tennis together and Dad eventually started running and finished several marathons from his late thirties to early forties. No shit.

It was really cool to see him change his life. He got lung cancer and died at age 55. I miss him every day. He started smoking at twelve.

Cigarettes are cool if you're Keith Richards or Eddie Van Halen, or watching the smoke waft across the screen in a classic film noir. They're a great prop. They're also foul. Unlike the fragrant bouquet of even second-hand marijuana smoke, cigarettes smell like ass. Like automobile exhaust. Like... something I'm still trying to run away from.

And why is it, at stoplights, in planters, everywhere, cigarette smokers feel it's alright to treat mother earth as their ashtray?

Fuck cigarettes, man. Sorry to harsh anyone's mellow. One of my best friends smokes three packs a day. If it's just the two of us at a bar or a concert where you can't smoke, every twenty minutes it's, "I'll be right back, dude." I've followed my friend out into the smoking areas at hockey arenas, baseball stadiums, airports. The cool people are definitely in there, but it's too bad what they're doing isn't too cool anymore.

Smokes should be taxed into infinity, at least twenty bucks a pack. The cost to you and I through our health insurance premiums alone justifies this.

There is only one thing a reasonable person would do.. I'll take what Marin's smoking. :D

Led.. funny to hear you tell this story. At age 10 I made my parents quit in their mid to late 30's?? I was an absolute asshole about it. They are both alive (not saying alive and well).. but hey, they made it into their 80's and are still kicking. I'm sure that would not be the case if I wasn't such a prick all those years ago. ...and I never picked up the habit, which I guess I can credit to them.

Can they announce the box set already? Good grief.. masochists they are!

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

i think that's the logo thingy. it's on all of them i think

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Gollum

....good one.
Busted out 11.28.80 from Boxilla. Good stuff.
I'll join the mantra. "Can I get some of that Gainesville already? Or some Santa Fe? Please?"
shhhh.....they listen.

I smoked dope before I smoked cigarettes. During my teens I would eat it, or smoke it in a pipe, but the culture in England at that time-mid 1970s - was to smoke cannabis with tobacco in a joint. Inevitably, this was what I started doing, and after a year or so, by the age of about 23, I graduated to the hard stuff...pre rolled, non enhanced packets of 20 cigarettes. I didn't stop until I was 51-I am now 62.
The daftest thing I ever did was pour water on the remaining few in a packet...and then wake up in the night and try to dry them out in the cooker so I could have one last smoke. Smoking with a nicotine patch on my arm wasn't too clever, either!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

If the Meet Up Movie 6/17/91 is in the box they can't announce the box before movie night or a lot of people would skip the movies and wait to watch it at home.

Traffic lights,Buses,Taxis,Crosswalks,Fire hydrants, Oh My!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

Thanks for the heads up. I real big fan of Nat. Guess I'll get this in November. It was nice to see the page talk about his piano playing. I heard someone years ago on a Jazz station talking about King and he was saying about how everyone raves about the singer, but forget he was voted (downbeat?) piano player of the year 3 or 4 years in a row.

To anyone interested, pick up his "after midnight sessions" album, very, very, very nice! (do 3 very's make it primo? :-) )

Really great album, let me know and I'll get you a copy.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Filthy fucking habit.

My father smoked, he was a non filtered camel fan. He complained about cost and said when the got to .50 cent a pack he was done, just wasn't going to pay that for a pack of butts. They hit 50 and he quit, period!

Fast forward and during a divorce I started smoking at 23. Smoked into my 50's. On and off at the end. Everytime I quit I used patches. I'd wear the big one for maybe 30 days and be smoking at first while wearing it. I started paring them down until I quit. Everytime I went back it was a stupid decision. Thought I'd have one,,,,wrong. Been off the nicotine about 7 years, maybe 8. Lungs may not get better, but at least I don't have the expense or cough up black shit while in the shower! Now I know I can NEVER have one,,, I won't even do wraps from tobacco products, too afraid I'll start again.

Worst habit EVER!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Thanks for the Moore/Perkins recommendation...listening to their 1954 recording, great stuff!
Now we need a Cats & the Fiddle w/Tiny Grimes box...

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

As mentioned here before, it is now a Honda dealership; if you go in there and shop for a car(or pretend to), ask to be taken upstairs to where the ballroom was, you can check all the ghosts...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

Like Led said, pretty much did everything but only regret the cancer sticks.....funny thing is, I didn’t really start until I was 28, Living with that 20 year old I told ya about....she did.....sure I used to have one out at a bar once in a great while but I was not a cough, cough, “tabacoo” user until then. Started part time, would buy the roll your own, you know occasionally rolling one up, then when I went back to college, since you had to now go outside, I didn’t have time to walk out there, spin one up, smoke, and then make to next class etc......so I start buying generic, like buck a pack thinking “yea, the way I occasionally smoke a pack will last me forever......cue the dark, evil, insidious music!
So of course once you have em in your pocket and all ya have to do is spark one up.........add to that everyone around me then smoked so of course I became addicted. The thing is, I could quit pretty easy, luckily, I was fortunate to be able to do this with a lot of things.....once I made up my mind I’d just ween myself off and make sure I wouldn’t be around “whatever” and the people and most importantly the triggers etc....Tabacoo was always the hardest, but I was never a heavy smoker unless up parting all night, usually less than a pack a day. Loved the Camel wides, but got into all the boutique shit when I moved to CO where they have those smoke shops....
Anyways would go back and forth quitting, and getting readdicted over and over thinking I could “part time” it.
Then I started to smoke a pipe for a while because I thought that way I wouldn’t smoke as much, you know, part time.....then tried same with cigars etc, tried it all, but always would end up fully addicted. Finally after about 15 years while I was playing music for a living I got the notion that I’d just bye the Banjo player a pack now and then and just have him feed me a few during gigs, and not have any at home or around me etc. That’s the thing about playing; there’s often a lot of anxious waiting around to play etc, so smoking really helped that. Well of course that “part time” trick didn’t work either. So finally, about fifteen years ago I finally realized, just like twelve step “I’m an addict”, I’m addicted to nicotine and it’s either all or nothing, there is no part time! Once I fully realized that, it was the end of the season at work, so I knew I’d not be around anyone for a month or so, plus I was getting a respitory bug so I knew I wouldn’t want to for a few days anyway, so that cave me the perfect opportunity to quit yet again. This time though, armed with my new found realization there was no way I was going to tell myself I can part time it, you know “I can control this”........no, your an addict, so no you can’t etc.......that was how I finally gave the nasty shit up and have never ever wanted one again. Luckily, once enough time goes by your body starts to change and triggers like smelling it where you used to get enticed, eventually you realize just how nasty the shit smells, and it becomes a turn off etc and you feel so much better. Interesting, in 1984 when I gave up meat the same thing happened; instead of getting all salivating and hungry when someone was cooking meat, it started to smell like nasty searing flesh. This doesn’t bother me so much now, perhaps because I do eat the dirty bird now, but years ago I’d have to leave the room....
Supposedly your lungs can heal a bit, but I’m worried that between the years I did smoke, and all the second hand exsposure, and all the shitty work environments I’ve been in, I’m going to be fucked....my old man smoked around us, not all over the house but down in his workshop, all the bars, and places I lived, hell people smoked on planes back in the day, everywhere! Ridiculous! The biggest tell is when you visit friends who still smoke in thier houses and as soon as you walk in it’s overwhelming. You feel so bad because it’s awful, but it’s your peeps so what do you do? I try to make it so we have to go out somewhere to meet up just so I don’t have to deal with that. Now I’m not some reformed nazi, I’m from the ilk that you do what you want as long as it doesn’t hurt others, like “jumping off that balcony” ,you want to drive with no seat belt, or not wear a helmet, or smoke, that’s your choice.
It’s just personally I can’t take it anymore, it makes me ill......plus you have to go through theconstant waiting around factor like Led said and it’s just a drag.....listen to this for a humorous take on all that....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LyYLrVNKE68

The worst is these kids that are getting addicted by all this vape shit. It’s such a shame after so many years of dramatic Tabacoo decline that the numbers are going back up among kids. Please, don’t mean to preach, but don’t do it chilrens!! Just ask my old man; started when basically a child, finally quit in his sixties, but ended up with Lung Cancer about four years ago. Luckily he has always gotten a yearly chest ex ray since he worked in a steel plant for forty years, so they caught it early. Thought they got it with radiation, but unfortunately a year later it had spread to hip and Adrenal gland......got the hip with radiation, but the adrenal tumor is never going away. The only reason he’s still alive is because of some new drug that works with his immune system to “maintain” the tumor. At his age they won’t remove the gland, and chemo, at the small doses he could take, wasn’t going to do it, so he was fortunate that he qualified for this drug which has worked miracles.
Please, if your even thinking about smoking, or need some help quitting, just go sit in the lobby of the chemo ward at your local cancer center for just an hour or two, if that doesn’t do the trick......trust me, it’s eye opening!!
Sorry to go on, but it’s something pretty heavy that we deal with everyday so if I can get even one person to quit, or more importantly, never start,.....well, sorry, thanks for letting me vent.......
Now please back to our collective “waiting on a miracle”........dammit Dave, it’s a good thing I don’t smoke anymore or this anticipation stress would make me a human chimney!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

when I was in the military, cigarettes cost .25 cents a pack, 2.50 a carton with no tax. When I first started smoking they were 35 cents a pack in the machines, that anyone could access, including 12 year old kids like me. The term smoke 'em if you got em' I think originated in the military, at least that's where I first heard it. In basic training "boot camp" you were not allowed to smoke, at all, so you went cold turkey. Then, after about 6 weeks, they would light the smoking lamp, and we would get to smoke. The first time I heard that term was then, Drill sergeant says, "smoke em if you got em, the smoking lamp is lit". I had no idea what a "smoking lamp" was but I soon found out it meant time to light up and it was a mad dash for the door to find one and get one lit. They were nasty and mean about it, gave you about 3 minutes to get a cig, run outside, light it and try and get a hit before they ran you back inside again. That was the first time I ever got a "buzz" from cigarettes. We hot boxed those things, due to withdrawal and desire and actually got off, dizzy more than anything, so running back into the barracks was not as easy as it sounds, a lot of staggering and falling down for some, or hands on knees with head down until the dizzies went away. If you were late, you got to run off that cigarette on the drill field for about an hour or so. I should have quit then, but I didn't want to, if you don't want to quit them, you never will, you must have the will to say no more, and mean it. Or you can wait till you can't breath anymore, that is also a good deterrent to smoking. Yes, disgusting, filthy, stinking unacceptable now days habit, and yet, they are legal to purchase at any convenience store. Weed is much better for you but it isn't very good for your lungs either, but who smokes 2 or 3 packs of joints a day? not even Tommy Chong I bet. (I could be wrong about that :) )

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

thought i was cool
tried chewing tobacco in 9th grade
vomitorium

tried smoking it
ew
coughitorium

tried clove cigarettes
blechitorium

tried pot
:)))

I can assure you
having smoked cannabis pretty regularly since I was 18
it is not addictive (lol)

whoever created reCAPTCHA needs a punch in the throat

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

movies

saw Rocketman in theater
loved it

we happened to start up the recent "A Star is Born" with Lady Gaga on cable last night

we stuck it out, but what a bland, slow, overly-long cliched flick. You couldn't understand a word the lead guy and Sam Shepard were saying. Low Talkers (Seinfeld reference) and gravelly. "uuhhhh muhh muhhhhhh..." "I want to sing my songs!" says Lady Gaga. "huhhhhyhuhhh...duuuhhhhhhuhhhuhhhh..."

SPEAK UP, MOFO.

On the bright side, you do get a few fleeting glimpses of LG in the altogether...no complaints on THAT.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I was listening to the Charlie Miller soundboard of this show and it sounds good. The first set is smoking with an opening Alabama Getaway that Jerry just shreds on. A solid first set, with an Althea done very well by Jer. Definitely a Bob and Brent show. As you get into the second set, Jerry is pretty much absent or very low in the mix and the Terrapin reading by Jerry has got to be the most tedious rendition ever. Sounds like Jerry did a lude or something before the song. A good drums followed by a very short space that morphs into Lost Sailor, a great song to come out of space with and a redeeming Wharf Rat done well by Jerry. I have not checked out the bonus tracks yet, hope Jerry slept off the lude and perks up for the bonus tracks.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

I don't smoke any more, but I did for a few years in my teens and stopped at around 21, so it's been decades since I was a smoker. I had stopped a few times for short periods, but various factors would get me smoking again. What really crystallized it was thinking about it in detail while peaking. That was the turning point and it was pretty much done cold turkey after that. Actually, tripping and ruminating on things was what led to the end of my mid-'80s coke use as well. Kind of occurred to me that there was just never enough and even while wired to the gills I just found myself thinking about doing more. Thinking about it while tripping just kind of crystallized the absurdity of doing something that never left me satisfied, sucked down all my cash and just left me jonesing and with damaged family relationships. Psychedelics, you never know where they'll lead if you pay attention.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....indeed goes to 11. It goes on and on and Jerry is just shining. I agree with earlier posts that it the best version I've ever heard as well. Soooooo good. It's so good, that the JGB has a hard time following it up with Sisters & Brothers. Some missteps there.
I vape....

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

I’m only in to the first Scarlet >Fire on this July 78 box set and all I can say is that I am so Grateful I didn’t let this one slip by! This is a keeper for sure! So many styles and variations of what they do that only they can do! Thanx🙏

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

given the trending comments here, I will just have to begin confessing my own nasty habits. Trust me, no one wants that. I'll just add two quick items, so I have skin in the game:

When I was real young til maybe 7, my mom smoked in the car. The smoke went out the front window and came in the back, where I sat. I hated it and complained bitterly. She quit. She passed of natural causes at 89. To this day, I cannot stand the smell. The era of outlawing smoking indoors has been a blessing for all.

Here's a more disturbing tale: When I was 19, scrambling to stay afloat in Denver, my girlfriend was 32, and she liked to shoot up, get tied down and ... pleased. And she liked to shoot me up, tie me down and ... please me. At 19, I was like, is this a great country or what??!! But after some high times, she dumped me and I discontinued the ritual for all the right reasons. That could've easily gone off the rails, but I turned my back.

That was 42 years ago, so no need for concern. Except ya can't unsee that shit no matter how long you live. Good luck with the resulting visuals, folks.

So... how 'bout that box? I got more stories! Don't make me tell more!!

Edit: agreed that GarciaLive 11 is good stuff. The first disc is quite strong, though Jer's voice sounds pretty worn. He still pulls it off. The second set/disc is a bit weaker on energy on the first few tracks, where I left off. Tonight, finishing up; hope he pulls it out. Also, the 40-min bonus disc of JGB in the studio offered over the July 4 weekend with a purchase (I got the The Good Old Boys' Drink up and Go Home) is really pretty neat. Jer does the Beatles' "When I Saw Her Standing There," a few cool instrumental jams.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

ok. just thinking about what it might be , hoping for a 80s box from the greek but if I heard right there going to announce this on august 1st , jerry's birthday and also dead at the movies night , 6/17/91 could it be a june 91 box with maybe a dvd bonus ? as I search through my base and see 6/14-6/16-6/17/91 looks pretty good to me , and wouldn't that be a great seller ? especially for some younger heads , guess we will all be surprised ,anticipation ,oh yeh old guy who ran away from home with girlfriend because my mom said no. 2/26-27/77 very grateful for my rebellion in those early years , cheers

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I live 20 miles from the old Ark. I think they also called it the avalon or something. Do you think this might be the box set? Others have said the same thing. I used to work around this area for 20 years killing rats in alley ways and such. Also near the Nickelodeon where Zoom was broadcast. Send a S.A.S.E to Zoom, boston Ma. Oh-two-one-three-four. Send it to zoom!!!!!!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I'm still rooting for a complete Warfield/RCMH box. Could be somewhat similar looking as the Europe 72 trunk: opens up with one side for each venue, each side a 3-D model of the two venues' posters(w/the skeletons...) ; all 23 complete shows, plus DVDs of 10/4, 10/30, 10/31; a book with the Bill Graham toast picture spread, right in the middle; a reprint of the Ripple flyer they handed out. Add 10/18 as a bonus for the first 2000 orders. That would be just exactly perfect...Or scale it down to just the Warfield and save Radio City for future use.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Rocketman. I'm surprised so many here liked this movie. I really love a lot of Elton's music but I thought he came across poorly in this flick. I got a bad feeling from the very start, when Elton walked into his 12-step program dressed like a duck. I knew then it was going to be a long movie, and it was (for me). But yes, the music of course was nice. Maybe I just don't like biopics for some reason.

I'm glad I saw "Midsommer" recently. It's a weird one and a bit dark. It was no Swiss picnic, for sure, but I won't soon forget it. Yikes.

Box set. I've given it a lot of thought and I'm pretty sure now it will be Fall 72. Gollum sez.... Fall 72. Hopefully, it will include the Long Beach gem 12/15.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Gollum

....I thought it was awesome. The Troubadour scene in particular. Everyone leaving their feet. Fuck gravity. When I witness a really, really good live concert, I also feel weightless. And I think I speak for everyone on this board that live music is in our veins. When the house lights go down, we go up.
https://youtu.be/RiMcOWz8-zA
Quack!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Aaaaaaaa, thanks for sharing?
As always, enjoy your tales!
Only this time I fear the residuals might linger on in a bad way ; - )
But the point, no not the one atop my head, the point was/is.....Dammit Dave, if you don’t break out HF is gonna scar yours/our brains with can’t take it bake visuals that YOU don’t want to be responsible for!
So come on already!

Did recently aquired DaP 17 3 times this weekend.....also 7/18/89. Hope for 7/19/89 and dig into some fall 79 to wet the ole proverbial whistle mañana, have to get in training, don’t wanna Pull a muscle next week!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

So a, if Nigel, who’s Amps go to eleven, plays the eleven, does that mean that actually they’ll go to thirteen?

But what if six turned out to be nine? Number nine, number nine, number nine.....

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html