• 1,184 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • rambly
    Default Avatar

Hello Marye
    Hoping you can point me in the right direction on this. I live in Canada and received a shipping invoice related to DaP 31. I emailed Dr. Rhino 3 times in August but no answer. UPS told me it was resolved when I called them in September, but then I just received a collection notice. I've emailed UPS again and Dr. Rhino again, but anything you can do to help would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you!

• fourwindsblow

Not a bad show the band really gets going by wharf rat which is typical for a first night of a three night run.

• wissinomingdeadhead
    Default Avatar

Anticipating the announcement for Daves Picks 2020 subscriptions any day now it usually coincides with the Grateful Dead Almamac. Better warn the wife to have her cc ready since the second year this is my Christmas present from her, she hates it because she doesn't have to go shopping for it. I know the 2020 calendar is available for sale Michael DuBois is the artist for next years calendar. All I can say BIO & PD
    BRING IT ON
    PLAY DEAD

• outpost

Just seen it along with the cover art on Ebay !

• alvarhanso

Makes me think Rex tape on 10 inch reels like 4/2/73. But Betty or Rex or Kidd doesn't make any difference to me. Looks to be a very good show on the back end of a very good tour.

• Lovemygirl

Source

• unkle sam

Trucking>Jam>Spanish Jam then the shortest dark star ever less than 4 minutes. DaP 32 is going to be a sweet one, can't wait to hear how they are going to clean up that Bertha start and some of those tape flips. Good luck Mr. Norman. Do a good job, take your time, we will all appreciate it.

• cub
    Default Avatar

As I am listening to a soundboard recording of 3.24.73 at https://archive.org/details/deadhead
    There are two Betty Boards listed. The 2nd listing has the complete show with 5134 views
    Bertha
    Beat It On Down
    Don't Ease Me In
    The Race Is On
    Cumberland Blues
    Box Of Rain
    Row Jimmy
    Jack Straw
    They Love Each Other
    Mexicali Blues
    Tennessee Jed
    Looks Like Rain
    Wave That Flag
    El Paso
    Here Comes Sunshine
    Me and Bobby McGee
    Loser
    Playing In The Band
    (set break)
    tuning
    Promised Land
    China Cat Sunflower
    I Know You Rider
    Big River
    Stella Blue
    Me and My Uncle
    He's Gone
    Truckin'
    Dark Star
    Sing Me Back Home
    Sugar Magnolia
    Johnny B. Goode

Wow 31 tracks, Thank you

• alvarhanso

Could be either one. Rex taped 4/2/73 DaP 21 (one of, if not the best sounding tapes in the Series), and a lot of his tapes were in Betty's collection as they were married. I think Kidd taped 3/28/73 DaP 16. Guess we'll find out in 3 weeks. Looking forward to this one, and love the artwork!

• Mytime
    Default Avatar

this one

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Hold on to your hat, we're coming in strong with one from the Windy City that'll have you movin' and shakin' from start to finish. DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 signals a true rebirth of the Grateful Dead, reimagining classics and foreshadowing their 80s sound. This is as much in part due to freshly-minted member Brent Mydland bringing the organ back in as it is to Jerry finding new vivacity with his custom Wolf guitar. New guy, new guitar - it all makes for a heck of a good time!

Set One rolls like never-ending thunder with one standout after another - truly epic versions of "Brown-Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "It's All Over Now," "Althea," and "The Music Never Stopped." Set Two hits with a crack of not-so-lazy lightning, barreling through an outrageous 28-minute "Scarlet>Fire" to a unique “Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance” and wrapping with a "blow the roof off the place" version of "Truckin'" and a rippin' "Johnny B. Goode." Ready for some quiet after the storm? You'll have to wait a just a little bit longer - we've filled in the gap on Disc 3 with a sprinkle of 12/4/79 - "Estimated>Franklin's Tower>" and an incredibly improvised “Jam.”

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 31: UPTOWN THEATRE, CHICAGO, IL 12/3/79 has been mastered from Dan Healy's cassette recordings to HDCD specs by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

Jack straw jay; I like the way you think!!

91 would be cool......if it’s PRIMO!

LMG; whoooaaaaa! That’s some heavy shit Bra.....but yes, it’s proven, music does heal!

The misses says she gets all those symptoms just from “the change” and we’re all a bunch of wusses....

HendrixDUDe, yuck, yuck, just kidding your Freakness! I believe I got a little chub around line eight or nine?
.....but at my age I’ can’t be sure lol You evil temptress!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by hendrixfreak

To those who do not typically take prescription pain medications beware the dangers. While Tramadol and hydrocodone are less potent than oxy, demerol etc they most certainly are opioid narcotics. As such they carry the danger such as depressed breathing, danger while using machinery and the lesser problems. If you use them for several weeks or more ( getting harder to do because of the pencil pushers making it incredibly hard for legit use) you will experience withdrawal. Unlike the intense very unpleasant relatively short term ( no more than a couple of weeks) withdrawal from the strong opioids mentioned above along with dope withdrawal from the milder ones is more like the flu. That doesn't mean there aren't dangers for uninitiated. Don't take to much more than prescribed especially if you have sleep apnea

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by snafu

Already have 6 14 91 on dvd

Other great shows
6/22/91

Summer 91?

How about a totally useless clue, Bolo?

"The peanut butter turned green when the cat watched TV."

10 days, yall...10 days

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

“I’d love to spill the beans until dawn” Loving Cup. From one of the greatest albums of all time.

....Phish does Loving Cup justice. Just sayin'.
Is hydrocodone really in the mix of dangerous opoids?

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by Vguy72

...I take hydromorphin which is also called Dilaudid for my pain along with tramadol with is not an opiate but acts as one and gives the same feeling of relief if any. Tramadol is not an opiate but it gives you the same side effects...then I take gabapentin which is for my nerves & neurological system. And also I take Flexeral for severe muscle spasms... ooch! The medical flower helps me the most to be honest and Motrin because it’s an anti inflammatory pill. But in the end, everyone is different I believe...I’m in pain management so I’m seen by all three of my doctors at least once or twice a month for examinations... I pray for anyone in pain or recovery, stay positive and love, love is the best meds outside the Grateful Dead Lol ha ha god bless...
Been Listen’n to 6/30/74, Springfield, While writing this post, some PRIMO performing by the band as a whole...at the start of the performance Keith is rocking the keys!
Set 1:
Don't Ease Me In
Black Throated Wind
Peggy-O
Jack Straw
Loser
Greatest Story Ever Told
Cumberland Blues
Dire Wolf
Playing In The Band ->
Uncle John's Band ->
Playing In The Band
*Seastones
Set 2:
China Cat Sunflower ->
I Know You Rider
Big River
Scarlet Begonias
El Paso
U.S. Blues ->
Truckin' ->
Eyes Of The World ->
Stella Blue
Not Fade Away ->
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
One More Saturday Night...
Rock on my brothers & sisters and remember , Smile Smile Smile, looking forward to tomorrow...🙏❤️🤠
...I almost forgot, if any one is in need of Hartford Civic Center, May 28, 1977 CD Release for your collection, it’s back in stock and for a $19.99 price tag, how can one not Smile by “Celebrate the Dead's final exclamation point on the legendary Spring '77 tour, all captured here from start to finish, in pristine HDCD audio. TO TERRAPIN catches the guys at the top of their game, unleashing a slew of new tunes that would "officially" debut two months later as part of TERRAPIN STATION.” 🙏❤️😎
*PS: tomorrow morning I have the Cal Expo 93’ Road Trip Series Release with the sweet/primo Bonus Disc waiting in the wings...😉

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Hydromorphone is contraindicated for use in patients with severe bronchial asthma (e.g., status asthmaticus) in unmonitored settings or in the absence of resuscitative equipment

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Call any vegetable. Great song. Been a while since pulling out Zappa albums.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by carlo13

Before I start, I must stress that I am not a doctor, or medically trained. But...
My understanding of tramadol is that it is a synthetic opioid, which also acts in a similar way to certain anti-depressants. It reportedly inhibits the re-uptake of the neurotransmitters norepinephrine and serotonin. What this means in experiential terms is that it can increase your energy and just make you feel happier. It says in the information given when you are prescribed it that one of the side effects is euphoria. I can remember thinking when I first got it-if that's a problem-bring it on!

For me, as with any drug the maxim is less is more. That goes for prescription drugs just as much as it does for recreational ones. If you like it, want or need to carry on taking it and want to live to a ripe old age while maintaining some semblance of sanity, then it pays to keep your use to a minimum.

Another thing with tramadol is that you can't drink alcohol on it. I nearly gave myself a fit once.

I would also be wary of advice given, which may apply to the person giving it but doesn't necessarily apply to the person receiving it. Even medical advice-I was told when prescribed tranquillisers 30 years ago by the prescribing doctor that they weren't addictive. I gave them up decades ago, but they quickly supplanted the problem they were prescribed to alleviate.

Absolutely beyond any doubt the best pain relievers for muscular/skeletal issues are the coyx2 inhibitors followed closely by the earlier otc anti inflammatory drug aspirin. Unfortunately the former ibuprofen, naproxen, Celebrex come with extreme negative side effects. The plus side is instead of covering up pain it attacks the root cause namely inflammation. Opioids simply cover it up to varying degrees. The irony of course is the better it covers up the stronger it is. The extremely negative side of anti inflammatory drugs especially the "better" coyx 2 type is their horrible effect on the stomach. This is not just for some it is for every person who takes them regularly. In addition they are very bad for the heart. I had no idea of these issues until I got a regular gastroenterologist. He laid it on the line for me in layman's terms. Acetaminophen mixed with painkillers taken properly kills 100-200 people world wide a year. Coyx 2 inhibitors taken as DIRECTED kill 35,000 worldwide through stomach/ulcer, internal bleeding and heart attack. I was shocked. I did what he said which was to stop taking them completely. Due to the nature of my job after this many years I have to live 24/7 with crippling backpain ( ibuprofen virtually eliminated that at the cost of a duodenal ulcer gone now) occasionally taking vicodin on days off ( can't operate heavy machinery). Modern medicine they do a good job of developing drugs for various issues unfortunately the side effects outweigh the benefits. And pain doctors are part of the problem. Very few explain the full effect of long time use

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by carlo13

As those of you who are familiar with his work know the phenomenal brilliance of the man. For those that would like to expose themselves to some of the best music you will ever hear be forewarned he was the antithesis of PC 30 years ago. You can imagine what his body of work is like today. To me it's worth it. I listen to about 1/3 Dead, 1/3 Zappa and then other. I would recommend his Bizarre Records period to start. 1969-1974. Uncle Meat, Hot Rats, Burnt Weenie Sandwich, Chunga's Revenge etc.
I could do a fair write up if some people are interested but like Frank I'm not the most popular poster so people may not be interested. If you have an open mind he's worth a try

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by snafu

RIP Art Neville, Papa Funk.

Saw the Neville Brothers a few times including (at least??) twice opening for the GD.

I know the band liked the Nevilles.. Soul music of sorts. RIP, be well.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by snafu

I go through phases with Frank....love 73/74, 78...and, on occasion dip into Billy Was a Mountain...."Ethel was a tree growing out of his shoulder..."

Speaking of 'mountain'....here's a beauty, cast in Eat a Peach, studio album sandwiched with a 33-minute live one, released after the passing of DUANE.

Magicked sweetness, straight from the peach tree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuNz2idDtY

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

.........is that a Sears poncho, or is that a real poncho?

"I just love overcoats"

first one to identify where that's from, wins.

first one to destroy that reCAPTCHA thing, wins a fantasy bottle of wine. and my undying gratitude.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by JackstrawJay

I actually saw Billy live. You're stressing my brain but I think it was Boston Music Hall 1972 and Chuck Berry opened. I wouldn't put 2 bits on that recollection though
Edit got curious went to Zappateers right venue wrong year. 10-6-71 for Billy. 72 was petite wazoo same venue. Nice they actually released that one. The mists of time helped by modern tech

That's because they were so nice. I had some friends who worked for them and at least on the west coast security loved them. Even after Grey. Of course East Coast was different both security all the time and heads post Grey. R.I had armed police at every section. What were they going to do start shooting inside the CC?

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

whoa whoa whoa!!! you saw the petite wazoo gig? oh man, my second fave edition of FZ after the original Mothers...I saw the Pauley Pavilion show where the "Just Another Band From LA" LP was recorded, Flo & Eddie...love 'em or hate 'em...awesome times...missed out on the Wazoo tours though...after '76 or so FZ kinda fell by the wayside for me...I called it his "Smarty Pants" era and didn't go to many if any of the shows he did in So Cal....

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

In perfectly coherent English. Man of many faces.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

…. hope I wasn't the damp rag on these pages bring up medical shit. Makes us sound like a bunch of old fucks with one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peels. But I knew I get feedback from THIS group :-). Thanks.

LMG - what can one say,,, my old man in his no school learning Jersey City upbringing would have said, "better you than me". The guy had a line for everything :-) Totally agree about music being a savor. As the British poet William Congreve wrote - Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast, To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak. (no I didn't pull that out of my ass, I had to look it up and of course thought it was beast, not breast. I'll bet Daverock knew that :-))

Though Readers Digest said "Laughter is the Best Medicine". So? Funny songs? Allan Sherman? (for the old NY jews)

I think Harry Chapin a lot

Music, has been my oldest friend, my fiercest foe,
cause it can take me so high, yes it can make me so low.

I hear music all the time in my head, it never stops and always is changing. I sing all the time (not well I'm sure), but the words just escape. The kids I work with are always amazed I have a line from a song for almost every thing talked about or happens. Like Monk, it's a gift,,,,, and a curse. We took this little plane once from Miami to Key West and while waiting for doors to open with about 10 to 15 people and I start in singing Love Potion Number 9, no not loud, but audible. We get out and my wife said, you know they could hear you? I replied, yeah and not one of them joined in, they knew the words, they could have jumped in! I laughed. Once again, Harry Chapin, Mr Tanner,,,,

But music was his life, it was not his livelihood,
And it made him feel so happy and it made him feel so good.
And he sang from his heart and he sang from his soul.
He did not know how well he sang; It just made him whole.

If you don't have Harry Chapin's Greatest Stories Live, get it. If you don't shed a tear for a Better Place to Be you got no soul, period. Harry is one of those people I know where I was when he was killed, very sad.

Speaking of albums, thank you, I forget who, who recommend Oscar Aleman's album put out by Dave Grisham, found it on Amazon used for ten bucks,,,, it's coming.

Daverock,,, what a let down,,,, I thought it was Dr. Rock.

Zappa connection,,, Got a friend I went all thru school with, Gary Cuccurullo, was a child prodigy(?) for guitar playing, won some state competition in Atlantic City at 8? Has always made his living playing music. His cousin is Warren Cuccurullo, Warren from the bus. And no, I never met him. I've never met anyone.

I part with one last medical story. Went to see my urologist the other day (that old man pissing thing) and he told me to stop masterbating. I asked if it was bad for me and he said no, I have to examine you!

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

This Fillmore West 1969 box that is absolutely incredible! What a gem. The March 2nd Alligator Jam is I guess the epitome of Primal Dead.

Not trying to get people knocking on his door, but the dude took the time to scan the entire box and attach it to a real box that the CDs fit into snuggly. Also give me the booklet that came with it and scanned the cover art in color!

I vow to return the favor to somebody one day. This is the way community is supposed to work. It makes me very happy after they rude welcoming I received at this site for not liking a particular singer in the band. Mind-Left-Body really showed me how things are supposed to work.

Its the one topic of conversation guaranteed to get everybody involved, when someone mentions what they are prescribed with me and my friends. Given what it was like in the 70, you could see it coming really.

On the other hand...… "If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it,...…….."

Seems like even Shakespeare was looking forward to the next box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

....Brent's last show. Day that Keith died. On the plus side, it's my son's birthday, so it evens out.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Vguy72

...just to latch on, some very positive happenings at casa de Sixtus:

-Offer accepted on new home in Sudbury MA last week
-Put current home on market last Thursday; had two open houses Sat & Sunday; had 3 offers over ask in hand last night and now we're under agreement. That coulda been A LOT WORSE.
-Old English Sheepdog who had spontaneous collapsed lung is seemingly fully recovered following surgery early last week
-DaP 31 announced within the last week
-6/17/91 will be included in the Next Box - yay
-What about Gainesville?

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by nappyrags

Yeah. Outside of SF and NY Boston had it good for music late 60's & early 70's. Then I moved to SF. Yahoo. Mayor White begging Providence to let the Stones out of jail in '71? before we destroyed Garden. Show started 0100? You can't always get what you want.....
Dick Summer's Subway WBZ, Brother Love WILD, J Geils WBCN

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by Dennis

All in good fun, of course. Never thought I'd say this, but thanks for the emoji that clues me in that you agree on the kidding around part.

Please everyone, ignore my "medical advice," I've been around the block a few times in both directions and (see previous stories, though there are always more...) have occasionally immersed in the "trouble ahead, trouble behind" lifestyle. My viewpoint probably is kinda dangerous.

Change of topic: personally, I'm not buying into the idea that the box is 1991 multimedia. Cuz I want fall '72 or spring '71 -- see? I can be flexible.

But I'm going to MUATM anyway... attended my penultimate GD show at Soldier Field on 6-22-91, my only Hornsby show, five days after the upcoming movie show. I thought the band sounded great. Hell, if the box is '91, I'll see how the MUATM comes off and decide then. I mean, a chance to chill in air-conditioned comfort with a PAX and a couple shooters while 48-track GD play on the big screen? I'd be nuts to miss that.

Currently bouncing around '68, '71 and '72 because ... I can.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

Hey Butch check your PM

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

...how good DP14 (11/30/73 & 12/2/73) is. Gave that a spin today and that Dark Star>Eyes really hit the spot.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Happy birthday to your son

24th anniversary blues

"I gotta go
but my friend can stick around"

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

(it's good that I am not the only one in the room that forgets.. well.. just about anything).

http://www.agitators.com/gd/dick_1973.html

Some interesting notes from Dick on 1973. I read this like a decade ago and it stuck with me.. high praise for 4/2/73, and rightfully so. He spoke highly of Dicks Picks 14 too, although somehow rationalized chop-jobbing these shows.

Any pick that both starts and ends with Morning Dew is certain to grab my attention. I do think the CD's sound a bit muddy to my ears though.. is it that was early in Jeffrey's tenure or was it that the masters got played too many times before he got to them, perhaps the Boston Garden gave us a muddy sound or perhaps it simply wasn't recorded that well.. I love the release, don't get me wrong but it is not as crisp as some of the later releases. Perhaps this one would do well getting remastered again and given the full show treatment.

After perhaps 50, maybe more listens.. it's the Playing in the Band > Jam on disc 4 that resonates with me. Holy shit batman.. that's wowwow stuff.

Anyway.. right on Charlie.. it's no wonder this came in so early in the release schedule and I believe it was the last Dicks Picks released while Dick was still alive.

I knew the originator of Agitators way back when.. He's a big Phish fan now. I think he hung out with Dick at some sort of Cape Cod Dicks Picks 14 release party at a GD bar of sorts.. and Dick was super stoked wondering what it will take, and could this be the one that sold a million copies or some sort of hyperbole like that. Now we realize 20k is a decent run for this type of archival releases. I think this got written up on one of those agitator blogs, perhaps it's buried in here somewhere.

Cheers to 1973. One of my favorite years to be sure.

Sorry for the ramble...

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I do not really know how mastering or remastering is done but why the hiss in the background on DAP 31? Is this something that can not be altered or removed? It must not be because it would seem obvious to remove it. It is not a big deal to me but it's something I always wondered about.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

It's because it's a cassette master.

I know this makes no sense, but the best wording I can think is.. it's like putting 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag.

The sound in went to 11, but the cassette master could only playback at 5.

Also, I get the feeling that two other forces are at work, but have no proof.. so consider it hearsay. I bet the cassette masters got played more than the reels and were not treated as a source masters in quite the same way and the reel to reels were.., I mean everyone had a cassette player.. so each time it gets played before Mr. Norman gets to it, add just a little hiss. Also, and again.. I have no proof.. but it could be there is only so much you can do to restore the sound quality of these cassettes.. so not all the bells, whistles and mastering tricks were available to our sorcerers that make shit sound good. I could be talking out of my ass here, if so someone who knows better please correct me. But it could be more care and attention goes into the process when more care and attention went into the source recording. If that makes any sense.

The Charlie Miller remasters of cassette sourced shows seem to sound exactly as good as Dave's Picks or 30 trips shows (sometimes better). Just my opinion, I could be wrong.. Charlie has a way to make these things sound better. His first show was in 79, perhaps he has a few tricks up his sleeve that he keeps to himself. Not sure.

I have said this before, and HendrixFreak eluded to it earlier this week.. I have seen enough shows where the sound there was by far superior to the best recordings that have surfaced. I suspect in some of the Betty recorded shows the sound on the master reel might sound better than it did in the arena?? The knife might cut both ways.

One more point.. many of these shows were recorded using Dolby A, Dolby B, Dolby C, Dobby from Harry Potter, who knows what.. and playing it back using a different noise reduction technology is a freaking nightmare. So imagine sorting out this mess? In the immortal words of JimInMD, just say no to Dolby (and yes to Dobby. If anyone can talk you down from a bad trip, it's Dobby from Harry Potter - trust me on this).

Hope that reply wasn't out of line, I am in no way a critic, just another rabid fan, very appreciative of all the efforts that go into making this stuff sound as good as it possibly can.

In summary, cassette masters = bad, reel to reel or multi-track recorded by a qualified artist = good.

Goodness... I sincerely hope I didn't make any enemies in my opinions above. As always, I reserve the right to be face planted firmly in the mud or snow wrong.

One thing to prove my point.. listen to Morning Dew from the Original Europe 72 with either a great system or with great headphones.. then listen to the Morning Dew from 5/25/72 from the E72 box.. during the quiet moments really crank it. On the original you get absolutely no hiss. On the box set mastered 39 years later you get some hiss, it's there. It's because those source tapes a) were old and b) were played a bunch between then and now. Each play = just a little more hiss.

The same is true on the Anthem of the Sun Masters, Garcia and Lesh played the shit out of them while making the masters for the original LP and the source material was never the same.. Garcia is quoted on I think From Anthem to Beauty saying something like.. we didn't know how to treat the masters and when we were finally finished it didn't sound the same, it sounded "muddy" or something like that. Lesson learned, an expensive lesson at that.

Sorry to pontificate...

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Jim, that makes a lot of sense. We all know how cassettes can last a long time but degrade over that same amount of time even though you probably would not notice 20 years later, obviously. I think you're right on the multi- Dolby choices over time. A cluster fuck for the guy doing the mastering. Thanks for the good analogy.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Also that fact on jerry saying that they did not know how to care for the masters was poinent. Showing that being young and reckless has it down side. Hindsight is 20/20. MAN!! P.S. It really makes sense that a lot of live music fitting onto a small source is problematic in a lot of ways.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

JiminMD, cracked up when I read your 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag analogy regarding the recording capacity of the cassette, found myself laughing out loud, or lol as the kids say.

Carlo13, did you ever get your coffee plant situation sorted out? After reading your post, I checked sources of seeds and I would say it is likely that there are some coffee or tea plants in my future. I currently have an avocado tree in my living room that is about 3-4 feet tall that I started from a seed about 3 years ago on a lark, and a sprawling lemon tree that is about 2-3 feet tall that I also started from seed a few years ago. Seeds from produce, not sourced separately. Cool hobby. I also have a Hawaiian shefflera plant that is probably between 25-30 years old and is probably about 6 feet across from edge to edge. That was from a cutting that came with a floral arrangement. Fun with botany.

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by snafu

Just got my "it's on its way" email from dead.net...hopefully a weekend spin

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Thanks and Yes I did. Changed to a coir/soil mix. My father and I also used to grow avocado plants all the time. It's so fun and good for the soul to grow things as a hobby. I'm a real good plant and veg. Grower. It was something I was naturally good at. Weed is just to odorous to grow in a condo.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Just know that coffee plants are hardy but need huge amounts of sun to grow good beans. Also read up on water and nutes. For it. They can be tricky to grow if your not careful.
And they are just stunning to look at when red beans appear. P.S. BUY COFFEE PLANT SEEDLINGS. . MUCH EASIER. GO TO LOGEES.COM FOR GOOD COFFEE PLANTS.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

A while back I emailed DL with what I confess was pure ignorance of cassette master quality vs reel quality. Maybe this will be helpful for some of you, maybe not. Response from the man himself below:

“For much of the 1970s, the Dead had a recording engineer or crew member making a mix live at the show specifically for tape, for listening purposes. In later 1979, they stopped doing that, and the only tapes made onward were PA board tapes, a mix directly reflective of what comes out of the PA, which often sounded great in the hall, but not on tape. Cassettes also roll much more slowly than reels, further reducing the quality.“

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

checked my email after seeing Nappyrags post, and I also received a shipping notice for DaP31.

Carlo, thanks for the suggestion about sourcing coffee plants.

As far as cassette masters, I recently listened to the 3/31-4/1/88 Meadowlands release, Road Trips v.4 no.2, and the credits just note that it was recorded by Dan Healy, no indication of whether or not it was a cassette source. Sounds pretty good to me in any event. My perception could be colored by fond recollections of seeing those shows.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Definitely cassette masters.

I am glad this run got released. I missed them, but they were good shows, especially 4/1.

In truth, back then driving anywhere around NYC used to scare the piss out of me, and hotel prices scared me even more. Today.. I drive fearlessly into the city but hotel prices scare me even more then they did before. :D

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-31-1.html