• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

AJS; thanks! Hard to phantom it was all those years ago....
    That Visions was a Bobby Dazzler for sure. Was fortunate to see the first one in Hampton, (along with the Box Rain), and the last one on 7/8/95. Not as good, but still powerful in another way. Seeing Visions and Ballad of a Thin Man were definetly “career” highlights for this freak.

7/16/90; didn’t see much of CSN due to pre-show routines etc, but have seen them a few times going back to early 80s? Used to think they should have released this one as “Truckin’ up to Buffalo”, as the actually played Truckin’ in Buffalo, and I used to think it was a better show. But as I’ve become more familiar with the shows, the 89 show has really grown on me, not just compared to the 90 show, but compared to the whole Summer 89 tour...
    90 was one of the last times we hung out with Lee Esdee. Was with that 20 year old I’ve spoke of in the past, so definetly a fine day for sure. That summer tour was pretty good. I think it was on the slight backside from the peak of Spring tour, with perhaps a touch more slop than spring, including unfortunately Brent’s decline, but still a great time in GD touring history. Someday perhaps we’ll get something from that tour; maybe some video?

• JimInMD

Eleven

Agree w/ all comments on this one. Of course I missed the original incarnations, and there are some true barn burners. it's virtually impossible for me to pick a favorite. You have to give it to Phil (who wrote the music) for bringing this back with a vengeance.

It was a high water mark of many of my post GD shows. In fact.. all those old songs they brought back that most of us never got to see were perhaps the high point (for me) of the post Jerry incarnations. If you missed the original, these recreations are the best we are going to get and the closest we will ever come. Add Viola Lee Blues to that list of 60's redux songs. Man.. to have been at some of those back in the day.. Set the controls for 1968.

Here's one for historical content.. the Owsley show at Radio City. The entire first set was pre 1968. RIP Bear, Shine on you crazy diamond.. and it's a pretty clean soundboard. The viola lee is especially fun and bouncy.

https://archive.org/details/furthur2011-03-26.sbd.official.113515.flac1…

• Angry Jack Straw

Totally agree. Positively 4th Street from Garcia Plays Dylan is an all time great. I can never get enough of that one.

The Eleven. Had to chuckle a bit. Most of the songs I originally missed have been revived by the various iterations on the band. I've seen Dark Star, St. Stephen, Ripple, etc. Pretty much everything. While very cool, it just isn't the same.

The lone exception was The Eleven. Furthur broke it out one night. Now that was some awesome stuff.

• nappyrags

The Eleven...

• Sixtus_

....7/16/90, Buffalo - my first show. What an intro it was.

Cool to have CSN open as well....

Sixtus

• JimInMD

I hear you...

And that Visions, now that's a score. I might listen to it now.
    ..and if that wasn't good enough, YouTube put on the Garcia Band '75 Keystone version of Positively 4th Street from Garcia Plays Dylan next. I think I have to just close out that window and go to bed.. nothing's gonna one-up that mini playlist.

Night folks.

• Angry Jack Straw

I posted a few weeks back about rarities that I caught and those that I missed. Topping the list was the Philly Visions of Johanna. In a year almost entirely devoid of any worthwhile music, it still stands out as one of my best memories.

Sure, I missed some cool stuff. Most notable the Hampton show Jim referenced. I caught a few Casey Jones and even HCS. Honestly, you didn’t miss much. Sure, they were great to hear, but not played like the old days. You eluded to that when you mention seeing fragments of Dark Stars over the years.

As time passes, I just become more thankful for having caught some excellent shows over the years. It’s been 25 years since our boy moved on. Most of the newer generation, never even got to see him play.

And yeah. I never really need to hear Throwing Stones/NFA again.

• stoltzfus

Some guy in the aud yells several times for

"SAINT STEPHEN!!!"

• Mr. Ones

Well, I was sick most of the Holiday weekend, so of course I started listening to the Get Shown The Light box, and now y'all are on to greener pastures. But, I did want to comment since I hadn't played the box in quite a while (same as Jim in MD).
    New Haven first, and good God, just a spectacularly good show. I dare say almost flawless until the St. Stephen (see discussion prior). It's kind of hard to quantify, but every song is played so damn well, and with such joy and abandon. Stephen started off as a downer, definitely got better (after about 2:30 in). Sugar Magnolia & Johnny B. Goode were also energetic, but flawed. Overall though, just superb.
    Boston next, and starts off with not quite as much oomph. Also, there are a few patches in set 1. But ohhh, the Half-Step>Big River is sublime. After that, all engines are firing as one. Terrapin, FOTD, Drums>Wheel>Wharf Rat big 2nd set highlights por moi.
    It seems almost sacrilegious (and foolish) to review 5/8/77. So I won't. If I can finish the box by tomorrow, I will feel compelled to type a short rejoinder.
    Tried to keep this brief, but what occurred to me is that like a lot of things, sometimes it's just hearing the right thing at the right time (also pointed out earlier in thread).
    Hope everybody enjoyed their weekend.

• carlo13

All I remember was that it was very,very hot out.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

I know there has been many negative vibes shared lately about customer service. I might have even gone on my own rant once but I believe there are good times round the bend. I reached out to Mary concerning Picks 32 and she was nothing less than her amazing self. She got the Good Doctor involved and I have been assured they are getting things resolved. I am confident that it will be worth the wait. Just wanted to share some sunshine and love, and say Thank You! I know we all have frustrations but there are good people out there who are trying to make it right.
Also just got the email with the new artwork for Dave's Picks 33. It looks awesome and the skeleton does NOT have a beard 😋

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

It looks really good. Have subscribed every year starting with the final year of the Road Trips series, and am in again this coming year. Very glad Dave is stretching out in the variety direction regarding era's, and hope he continues to expand upon it.

The Giants Stadium box from this year has remained in steady rotation. Thank you to everyone involved for releasing this. I get much enjoyment from this one. The 89 shows are so great. Would love to see the Mountain View Summer Solstace 89 show released and Alpine...oh yeah Alpine.

Speaking of 89, I wouldn't be disappointed with a Spring 89 Dave's Pick.

Husker Du: New Day Rising
Mothers of Invention: Uncle Meat
Melvins: The Maggot
Melvins: Basses Loaded
Motorhead: Kiss of Death

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

...2020– Grateful Dead* Four From The Vault 2020 Release...? Newly Discovered BearsRecordings, Now Minted as “Bears Sonic Journals”... it is accepted and agreed upon in most music circles concur that “All” Of Bears recordings in in anyway , time & whom form and play apart in this Artists epic ‘soundtrack’ to his own art form....

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

How do I get on the GD email list? Mysteriously, I was removed from the GD mailing list but receive frequent Rhino mailings. I want to be on the GD email list, not Rhinos though! I keep trying to sign up, but to no avail. Oh well, 1st world problems...

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

I see in your last five you have "Uncle Meat"...one of my all time faves and my favorite Mothers line up and era...have you heard the three disc reissue "Meat Light" that has the original mix plus tons of others stuff like the original pre-release version? If you enjoy "Uncle Meat" this will grab you too...

Since i have no memory a shout out and thanks to whoever mentioned the Santana - McLaughlin release, need to get that puppy...as for my Wife and box sets she first will ask "Don't you already have that?" "Yeah in a way but not like this"..."Oh..." last purchases have been the Jimi set, two Dick's Picks I didn't have, The Kinks "Arthur", and a bunch of old Blues & Jazz reissues...next is "Hot Rats" this coming Friday...

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by nappyrags

surely worth checking out

odd way that I heard Uncle Meat back in the day

My dad was a prof at a college
apparently some students gave it to him
I doubt he listened
but I did
it blew my lil' 6th or 7th grade mind
because at that time I didn't realize that an album could be ART
meaning more than just a collection of songs

"I must be free"

I played much of it for my kids for the humorousness
but I had to edit parts of Suzy Creamcheese

Sleeping in a Jar creeped out one of my chillun
"Mom and Dad are sleeping
sleeping in a jar
the jar is under the bed"

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

It was cool seeing Bobby at the Rex Benefit at the Fillmore a couple weekends ago. I was fortunate to hang before the show in the hall while he did a long rehearsal with the house band. And a beautiful rendition of American Beauty, song by song.

Last five:
Dick's Picks 29 (two great May 77 shows)
Ready or Not
Road Trips v3 no1 12.28.79
DiP 5 12.26.79
Road Trips v3 no1 Bonus disc 12.30.79
I've been on a '79 roll

and due to recommendations here,
DaP 2014 Bonus Disc 12.11.69

Now what shall I listen to tonight?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Sounds like Jim has been using the Palantir again. Now where did I put my stained and hole ridden tan tunic...

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Four from the vault is 17 y/o news. I'm buying new jimi Hendrix box. Can't beat the price.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Anyone buy the 10 cd back to the garden box? I heard it's good. Wondering if it's worth the price.

user picture

Member for

5 years 7 months

You said in a dead.net post yesterday that you sold two Winterland 77 box sets for $1000 total and have a third that you're asking $400 for.

When you advertise and sell CDs and other Grateful Dead merchandise on the dead.net message board, especially at these hugely inflated prices, you do so in vioalation of dead.net's Terms Of Use, which can be found in a link off the home page.

Here are the specific Terms Of Use you are in vioation of when you advertise and sell Winterland 1977 for 4-5 times its original value:

Rules Of Conduct section (the verbiage here is abbreviated, but no context is altered):

-- You will not use the Site to advertise or offer to sell any goods or services

I think that line is clear enough. But does dead.net really care if someone who doesn't like a particular Dave's Picks offers it up at face value? I doubt it.

But here is where things get complicated. This next Term Of Use you violated is detailed in the Usage Restrictions for Products section (the verbiage here is abbreviated, but the context is not altered):

-- All Products you purchase, obtain or access on or through the Site are solely for your personal, non-commercial use....you may not sell or exploit in any way, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, any of the Products...

Not only does it repeat the statement that you can't use their website to sell, but it specifically states you can't EXPLOIT their products. "Exploit" is the key word in your situation, because to be exploitative is to make use of a situation that treats others unfairly for your own personal gain. In your case the situation you made use of is the status of the Winterland 1977 box set being out of print. This gave you the leverage to put a $500 price tag on dead.net's $99 product. In sum you exploited their product by capitalizing on it being out of print and taking in a 400% profit for yourself on each of the two box sets you sold for $500 each.

I brought this matter to your attention because dead.net is not your personal storefront and what you're doing is wrong. As for your finding these three difficult to obtain Winterland box sets in mint condition in your music room. That sounds like a completely unbelievable story to me. You already offered to sell Europe 72 CDs last year on dead.net, so I would think nothing is off limits. Then I wonder if the stuff you're selling at very high prices is coming into your possession as a result of this "insider" status you claim to have, where you know which concerts will be released before its announced, or like themultiple DaP 32 copies you told us you received several days before everyone else got theirs. And then coincidentally you have a DaP 2019 bundle for sale a month later.

I really am curious how you came into possession of not one but three of the most expensive box sets on the secondary market. All opened and in mint condition. What are the possibilities? And how does someone forget this? Did they fall off a truck? Were they promos from your inside connections? Did you buy three at $99 each to sell at a later date? (seems unlikely because you once said you don't have an ebay acct, and nobody foresaw this box set going into orbit once it sold out). Were they given to you by other deadheads who are aware of your financial challenges?
(Could be anyone in that category, really).

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Winterland 77 Vinyl Box that would be worth $400.

What ya waiting for Rhino.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Where it really gets weird is when LMG tells you that he will only accept a money order to pay for the alleged goods that he is peddling. And then it gets weirder when items don’t show up as promised or are totally different from what was described in the first place. A Wolfe in sheep’s clothing if I’ve ever seen one. He collects his dues while we sing round the fire. Whether or not he is blind makes no difference. The fact of the matter is that he does not see. Glad others are starting to take notice! This wolf should prey on us no longer!!!

Be well all!

KCJ

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by carlo13

Hey Carlo, no not number 12, nor 14, but lucky number 13. Hit me with an email dennis.wilmot@verizon.net, include a large subject like CARLO13 so I don't miss.

dennis

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Carlo, I only got the 10 disc version because I COULD NOT afford the 38 disc version. It filled in some holes for me (at least I now have SOMETHING from every artist). I fully enjoy listening to this set. I thought the price was fair (and I also discovered delivery to Amazon lockers!!). If you wish you had been there as I do, I believe you will be glad you got this set. Nice liner notes in the book also. What could go wrong??
Did anyone see my wife around here??????

Thanks for slapping us back to reality Jim. Time to put that tunic away for now....

Was listening to that wonderful Dave's Picks #9 recently from 5/14/74 MT. The show just before the 74 PNW shows. This show sounds better to me than the box set shows and I have no idea why, it just seems a notch above. And the PNW shows sound awesome, after you get past the first song on some of them.
Wait, maybe I need to get that tunic back!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

I just had the waste taken out on mine, nothing worse than a restrictive, ill-fitting tunic.. My NRPS box set arrived yesterday and I think the New Garcia Live show arrives today. It just doesn't feel right opening these without my comfy, hole-ridden, cave mud stained beige tunic. In fact.. I am tossing my other clothes into the river to make room for the new box set.

As for Montana.. what a show and what a pick. Top shelf, but then again, I have not yet met a '74 show I did not like. Even Roanoke has it's moments.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

and checking out 3/19/77

Terrapin > Playin' > Samson > Playin' in the FIRST SET

and not rudimentary performances of these tunes. It's truly outstanding stuff.

Second set is five consecutive jammers with no Drums interlude.

Please please please check out this show.

"Yule" be glad you did.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Sorry your confused, I didn’t sell anyone on this message board anybwinterland 1977 Boxsets for $500 each. I mentioned my one med prescription is $1000 a month, that’s all and by selling my two boxes helped me reach my goal in saving enough money to purchase my much needed meds for my chronic illness.
I’ve even gone in the direction of providing free music to some members /friends on this grateful message board. I also stated in another earlier post that I was selling the Daves Picks series for face value in my earlier post. I’ve helped many fans of the band on this message board by providing some picks they were unable to order due to supply & demand or even know about certain releases being made available thru dead.net. have a chance to enjoy the magic contained on all the Dead’s releases. Rock on everyone, peace be with you all. Take care deadheads every where! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

If 74 was all that, then Gainesville would have happened it! Need I say more sir!

(picture large amount of hurumphing now)

oh, and that Montana show,,,,, what a recording, pulled it when I read post.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

It would seem that they will do anything for a buck. "Honoring Jerry Garcia" indeed. How does that work?

Gainesville did occur. Now about that moon landing scam... As for '74, guilty as charged. A man's got to be allowed one vice. 74 is likely the year that reeled me in.

I would like to see Gainesville released. Besides the Warfield and Radio City run, those four Florida shows might just be the highlight of the year. Not sure why they shine so bright.. probably because it comes after a period where they likely rehearsed but without the pressure of having the recording truck parked outside recording every note.

I think it's obvious,, you save all the ash from the Jerry Weed you smoke. When you get a jar full you take it and pour it in the Ganja River in India to be with Jerry's other ashes. Legend holds that when enough ash is pour in the river, Jerry will rise and destroy all have pissed on him upstream and worst! Really that Chipotle just a mile upstream!

See it's not for the money!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Thanks. I'll get back to you soon.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

You already said you're asking $400 for the 3rd one and it was plane as day what you meant regarding the first two. It's like you're a 5 year old with chocolate all over your face saying you didn't eat anything. Pathetic. Even if you didn't just try to weasel your way out of that statement you made, what do have to say a out the 3rd one that you're asking $400 for?

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by carlo13

....from England. Arrived today in Vegas. Yet some heads in the US order a grateful dead product from dead.net which is also located in the US and it takes weeks. Crazy. Looking for sugar cubes.
(I'm really not, but I have Friday off. 👌)
Interesting. Product of France. Ordered from an English site. Shipped from Germany.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

You offered me these for $99. That's 4x the cost for the 3 disc show and 3x the cost for the 4 disc shows. When I told you that was too much you wouldn't budge. Month later you still had them and ssid you would do $85. It wasn't until you couldn't get $99 for them that you came back to me. That doesn't sound like trying to help a Dead Head.

I would also like to see you stop advertising and selling here. It's a distraction topic. I should also point out that it doesn't matter what the price is. The policy is that you can't advertise and sell here.

Lovemygirl

4/26/72 - Lahrutundet, Germany. Show # 9 4/14/72 - tivoli concert hall, Denmark. Show # 4 5/13/72 - Lille Fair Grounds. Lille, France. Show # 16 5/26/72 - Lyceum theater. London, England, Show # 22

Subject:
Grateful dead Europe 72 shows for sale

...and ye shall receive. Seriously. Anybody that needs any music I've got, I'll burn it and get it to ya lickedy-split.

Last 5
~30 & 31 Days Of Dead. Good grief is this a true buffet of Dead goodies. The meal isn't even finished yet for 31 days...fat and happy.
~New Riders Of The Purple Sage: Bear's Box
~Gov't Mule 2019-08-20 Snow King Ski Area~Jackson,Wyoming
~John Coltrane: Blue World
~Neil Young: On The Beach

edit: #6~late night addition...Son Volt-Trace
one of the greatest albums of all time. Total road-trip music....get some.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by jrf68@hotmail.com

My new years resolution is going to be to listen to more music, and not just Grateful Dead..

You guys put me to shame. So much on your last five, etc. that gets my heart pumping. Now.. what to do with that pesky job that keeps getting in the way??

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Congratulations, Mr Ones, on adding the mighty Mighty Baby to your collection. You have actually beaten me to the punch there. I didn't get it on its release, and now its one I am hovering over.

Actually, it may be worth pointing out that the Grapefruit label it came out on has produced all sorts of 3 cd compilations over the last two or three years. British psych - a box each from 1966, 67, 68 and 69, as well a folk, pop, prog....I got a corker called "I'm a Freak Baby", which features the heavier end of the underground from 1969-1973. This was the music that soundtracked my mid teens...stonking rockers like "Fireball" by Deep Purple, "Do It!" by the Pink Fairies, "Gypsy" by Uriah Heep, "Cherry Red" by The Groundhogs...I could go on. You can actually feel you hair growing longer as you listen to it.

Terrible concept and advert - this Jerry weed, or whatever its called. I know I was naïve, but in the 70s, both the Dead and weed seemed like symbols of an alternative way of being to mainstream consumerist culture. That advert, more than anything else I have seen, seems to show that both have been taken over by the establishment, branded and sold back to the public for big bucks.
Enough...here's my top 5, starting with 2 Dead shows-
Dave's Picks 11 11/17/72
Wembley 11/1/90
Sun Rock Box cd 2
Sun Country Box cd 6
Stray Cats Live Loreley/Rockpalast 8/20/83

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

But if you are the Garcia family, you can milk a dead Jerry.

Jerry weed?

Udderly disgraceful
(Keeping with the milk theme)

And don’t forget,
Today is the 12-19-73 anniversary.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

long time no post, skulltrip, fare thee well my brother, see you on the other side for sure. The loss of a family member is a tuff one to live thru, keep you head up and your spirits high. I lost my dad a couple years ago and I still remember what he said when everything was going down hill "no one gets out of here alive". I agree, that Jerry weed had better send me to nirvana and bring me back on a majic carpet thru the Himalayas or they have no right to call it "Jerry". Mickey also has a brand of weed that he has endorsed, I read about it on his site, seems some tour brother had some super weed back in the day and turned Mickey on to it, now it has resurfaced and Mickey swears by it, uses it every day. Now, how do I get the finer weed shipped directly to my house, even if I live in a state that does not allow it's importation? I guess we need some treetop flyers out there to help us all out, I can see it now, Fedex, ups and the post office all trying to hire old pilots to help out the folks who live where it's still not allowed. Hey, I can dream can't I? would love to see some bombers turn into butterfly's above our nation.
Last five
James gang Rides Again first press with bolero
Jade Warrior First Lp
Steppenwolf Monster
Cheech and Chong Big Bambu
Grateful Dead 12/19/73 Tampa Jam electro jam
Grateful Dead Gainesville time for this one to get the Norman treatment and be released in all its psychedelic glory
More cowbell!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

You need wingtips for the Dead, Dead music makes you fly!

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

... the Jerry weed thing is atrocious. Kinda ruined my day when I saw it.

Last 5 -

12/18/73 Curtis Hall
Neil Young: Tonight's the Night Live at the Roxy (Totally worth the $11 I spent!)
3/20/77 Winterland
Brian Eno: Thursday Afternoon
Waylon Jennings: Dreaming My Dreams

Up for today - 12/19/73 Curtis Hall. We all know this one. We all love this one. It's pretty cool to hear the DP1 portions in the context of the whole show. Here's a link to our man Charlie Miller's transfer:

https://archive.org/details/gd1973-12-19.sbd.miller.97361.sbeok.flac16

Currently Reading -

James Joyce's _Ulysses_: I have decided to finally try to tackle this monster, and so far it is every bit as tough as I was expecting, and even more wonderful than I could have thought! Only through the first 9 episodes (of 18) and it has totally been worth the effort.

Stephen King's _Needful Things_ : for when Joyce makes my brain hurt :)

Selling stuff here still isn't cool... offering to share is totally cool. Thanks Jeff! You've got the right spirit!

Peace

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Finnegans Wake is sitting on my bookshelf next to a couple odd sized box sets (Sunshine Daydream and GSTL). I meant to read it.. but I am beginning to have my doubts.

I hear it's the 'hardest' book to read in the English language. Maybe one day, but there are more meaningful items that have taken priority. Fat Freddie's Cat Omnibus might just prove more interesting.. :D

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Man, you guys (and gals) are just awesome sometimes. Unkle Sam, your last 5 has 2 of my fave bands from '69/-'71, Steppenwolf & James Gang. This fall, I played my Steppenwolf ABC records catalog in chronological order (by release date), and loved it so much, I spent $110.00 on 4-cds of Live Steppenwolf boots. And I just THIS WEEK, after wanting this for 30 years, got a copy of the 9 songs left off James Gang Live In Concert (Carnegie Hall 5/15/71). Recording quality is sub-par, but so WORTH IT for the historical context.
DAVEROCK, you're the brother I never had. The Might Baby box is criminally underheard. The 2 studio albums (and the aborted one) are almost from 3 different bands. I think I like the unreleased 2nd album best, possibly because it's mostly instrumental stuff. But the real 2nd album (A Jug Of Love) starts off sounding like a GD rehearsal session with C,S,N vocals. Brilliant. And of course, the live stuff just kills it. Keep On Juggin', 3 live versions, 3:49, 7:16, & 11:29, plus studio version 8:46. First album is a little more primitive but still ticks a lot of boxes.
JRF, with the Coltrane, Gov't Mule & N. Young, I'm on board. Haven't picked up the Coltrane yet, waiting for a price drop. so I guess today will be: more James Gang, The last Mighty Baby of 6 I haven't played, and maybe Neil's Journey Through The Past soundtrack, (it's a boot, but sounds great!!).

Last 5:
Roger McGuinn-Back From Rio
The Ice Storm S/T (I know, weird right?)
Santana/McLaughlin Chicago '73
Mighty Baby-Day Of The Soup
Dead-Aoxomoxoa (2019 re-issue) Live disc, then '69 mix.

Keep spreading love, folks!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

(1)Jim Pepper; Comin' and Goin' (2) Shadowyze; Witchi Tai To/Water Spirits (3) Link Wray; 3-Track Shack (4) Buddy Red Bow; Journey to the Spirit World (5) Jimi Hendrix / Band of Gypsies ; Live at the Fillmore East (12/31/69-1/1/70)

What Coltrane are you waiting for the price to drop on? I was looking at that 5 cd set "58", sounded very desirable.

There was also a complete Atlantic(?) collection for $230,,, whoa.

But in general guys back off with all this new music, I'm unemployed and just spend a stupid amount on teeth :-) Glad I ordered a bunch before I got dumped at work. :-)

Listening to youtube cuts from Mighty Baby,, nice. Right now Egyptian Tomb, very, very nice wide spatial sound. Nice use of the soundstage. After Christmas I may jump on this one, I KNOW someone will give me Amazon gift cards (what else can you get for a old fuck who has everything, ain't that the way it goes :-) )

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html