• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Charlie3

Carlo13, CSN opened for the Dead on 7/16/90 in Buffalo. I had a good time at that show, recall being stoked for Loose Lucy as I hadn't seen it at a show before that one and it just seemed like they were having a good time playing it. Good times.

• daverock

Oroborous...I can remember reading somewhere that that was why The Eleven got dropped. They apparently practised for hours at a time playing in that time signature. To such an extent that they became so familiar with it that they could improvise within it on an almost nightly basis-a stunning high wire achievement that ultimately proved unsustainable. So by 1970 it was goodbye "The Eleven", hello "Not Fade Away".

• carlo13

1972 JGB DEBUT ALBUM ANNIVERSARY TODAY.

• carlo13

I've been listening to CSNY since 1978 and still love them. Seen CSN a few times and once with the dead in buffalo (I think it was buffalo.) Its to bad this kind of music went extinct. They were like the dinosaurs. Big and badass.

• Oroborous

Music, books, movies....what else is there? Ok, you need some “green” and beer, but that’s it!......well, maybe this chair, but that’s it.....and this paddle ball, but that’s it....
    I don’t buy so many movies anymore, but you are correct, the Criterion collection is good shit. If my memory is correct they are the ones who go the extra mile on refurbishing/scans etc

• rusty string

[Thanks, CaseyJanes for the link to the brewery site. I am not an expert on beer, so I always wonder whether I use the correct translations of the German types into English - that helps a lot.]

I can perfectly understand that post about "Eyes": The opening line of a song sometimes gets you right into the perfect mood for what's to follow. And Hunter gave us so many of those. "Well, the first days are the hardest days, don't you worry any more." Love that, too.

Last 5:
    Stephen Stills - "First Album"
    Stephen Still's Manassas - "Manassas"
    McGuinn, Clark and Hillman - "Three Byrds Land In London"
    Jerry Garcia & Merle Saunders - "GarciaLive Vol. 12: Boarding House 1975"
    Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young: "CSNY 1974" (box set)

Bought a copy of Uncut's "The Ultimate Music Guide: CSN&Y" - how I love these compendiums. A bit pricey as imports but always worth the money. Always make me want to revisit tons of albums.

• carlo13

You nailed it on the NOD cd. I see you are a movie buff. Have you tried the criterion movie collection? It's a collection of the best domestic and foreign movies on a high def and remastered quality disks. Most come with booklets and quality dvd/blu-ray holders. They also have some concerts like Monterey pop fest. and the stones gimme shelter at altamont speedway with the best remastered version found anywhere. Check out criterion.com. they are more pricey than other dvd/blu-ray movies but well worth it. They have 1/2 price criterion a few times a year on the site and at barnes and noble too.

• Oroborous
    St. Steve’s and others through the years..and 41 years tonight!

First I will say that of course nothing compares to those early psychedelic years, especially the 69 versions, but like anything else, when played well, I felt like they stood the test of time at least. But like Jim touched on, made a big difference if you were fortunate to see any of the big dogs live. Saw the 10/15/83 Stephen, probably a half dozen Dark Stars (some were only the jam/partials). Saw many one offs, 1st or Second versions, or first or second reintroductions etc; Attics, Death Don’t, Box o Rain....but unfortunately, close but no cigar for Casey Jones, Ripple, or the perhaps the biggest regret, no Here Comes Sunshine, Dooooo! Cant complain though, had uncanny luck over the years as far as that goes, from my first show, 1/20/79 (Dark Star)....hey, that’s today! Today’s my 41st anniversary....I was fortunate to rack up some good stats as far as seeing obscurities.
    EYES; I agree that generally I don’t like the faster ones, but that they did play some awesome mid eighties versions. Imho nothing is like those 73/74 monsters with the awesome jazz jam in the middle. To me, those Eyes are in my top handful of elite songs/versions...
    TOO; similar feelings about The Other one....early big ones, especially the Cryptical's, were awesome, then they just seemed to drone on, then say mid eighties they got a little psychedelic again...I usually liked the Healy weirdness effects on the vocals, though sometimes it was a bit much. I know many folks didn’t dig that, and I believe I read somewhere not all the band was into it? But that’s another that seemed to go through phases...
    POST PIG; also not a big fan of the Pig stuff after he passed, except years later I thought Warren did a great job on all that old stuff. Still think they should of had multiple guitars for Fare Thee Well, even if they cycled through and took turns. Always loved Wareen doing the old blues stuff, and some of the Brent tunes too!
    But like all the songs, on the right night, or even sometimes today listening, if they stars align and their ripping it up, any song is awesome! Surely saw some great Good Lovin’s and Lovelights, and if nothing else, many a night we felt like at least it wasn’t yet another Stones/NFA, but generally speaking, perhaps they should have let sleeping dogs lie...

PRACTICE; I think the biggest reason/factor with them not keeping up on the St Steves etc was practice, or lack there of. I know they all commented that in the good old days they still rehearsed enough that they could keep their chops up on the more challenging material....you can’t fake your way through Steve’s, The 11, Help, Cosmic Charlie etc.
    So another unfortunate side effect of Jerry’s addiction problems was they basically didn’t rehearse much. They all have mentioned that over the years, and it’s clearly evident by all the great tunes that came back in more recent years of Phil, Furthur, and D&C shows, which to me is the highlight of these later incarnations; getting to see the great old psychedelic stuff we didn’t get in the later years of the Dead.

EDIT; well said Daverock!

• daverock

Jiminmd….100% agree. It is totally different experiencing the songs live to listening to a live recording. You wouldn't have heard me complaining if they had played St. Stephen at Wembley in 1990. How well it would have stood the test of time is another matter. But maybe that's beside the point...the magic was to be in the moment, not consider how it would be perceived 30( (!) years later on a cd.

• stoltzfus

Envy

Especially 7 13 76

Long time love for that show

One "special" night, hearing that on tape...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

I believe they all have American Indian heritage and they have all been in my kitchen (at the same time noless). Jimi really liked my Etouffee and Gumbo.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I think a bunch of us should put our collections together and open a museum. Share the music with all who care. Jim Pepper cd Pepper's Pow Wow cost me $60.00, but was worth every penny.
Dennis, I'm just talking about the Coltrane "new release" Blue World, which are all newly released recordings (some of songs 'Trane already recorded). It's only 1 or 2 new songs, but any unheard Coltrane music, I need. It's only a single disc, but my local cd store sells "used" (read promo copies), for $8 or $9 bucks, so I'd rather pay that than $13-$15 dollars, since it's not something I have to hear RIGHT NOW.
Y'all can prolly figure out why my lovely bride thinks I'm sick. She may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic she's looking for!!

P.S. Now listening to London-5/26/'72......Sooooo good!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

I recently was exposed to him (within the last five years or so). They played Witchi Tai To a couple times on SiriusXM, probably Deep Tracks.. I was so intrigued.. had never heard anything like it and it captivated me. So I did a little research and explored more of his music.. I know most of you know this.. but if it you don't it's got such an interesting history. Witchi Tai To is a traditional Native American Peyote chanting song that he learned from his Grandfather, who was a Native American. I think it was a spiritual song, similar to a church song in their culture.

Anyway.. cool story, cool song, great artist who left this world way too young. Cross a great Jazz saxophonist with some family history and a traditional Native American Mescaline Church Chanting Song, stir it up in a pot and that's what you get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBdaYKqMUs

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Nice Billy Joel reference Mr. Ones, I actually just listened to the Glass Houses album recently for the first time in a while. Gave Turnstiles a spin as well, sometimes I just want to hear New York State of Mind. Love all the wide ranging musical references on these threads, really a great reference for things to consider checking out.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

Jerry Weed. No. No. No. Just no.

I thought I had a problem, what with 2000 CDs, and more arriving almost daily lately. This December splurging has made the collection outgrow the 1500-disc rack that sits in the living room. (there are about 300 GD CDs in their own special "shrine" rack, plus a few dozen box sets of various artists that can't reside on the 1500-disc rack)

Last Five--
Grieg: Lyric Pieces (Emil Gilels)
The Smith Quartet--Ghost Stories (AMAZING collection of eerie and evocative modern string quartet pieces)
Tal Farlow--Best Of
Barbara Dennerlein--Hot Stuff (German jazz Hammond player)
Cassandra Wilson--Blue Light 'Til Dawn

Recent Dead: Dick's Picks 28 (2/26 & 28/73). Wow.
Giants Box; 7/10/89. First time through, and loving it! This box is soooo Grate! The SOUND . . .!! I'm enjoying many of the post-Keith shows more than I'm enjoying some 70's shows.

Speaking of sound, the other day I ran a digital optical cable from the Denon 2910 disc spinner to the Maverick D2 Tube Magic DAC, then A/B'd between that and the analogue out from the Denon. Whoa. I thought there was good sound before, but the optical through the DAC opened up the soundstage about 15%.

The Denon has been rejecting a disc or two here and there, including D3 of Garcia Live Vol. 6 (7/5/73--listening to get in the mood for Vol. 12--any day), which sometimes means a failing laser. So I broke down and purchased a new Marantz HD-CD1, which should arrive any day. (two places had it severely discounted for a few days, but no longer) No, the new player does not have HDCD, but I've found that my ears don't hear any difference between that and the Redbook layer, nor do my ears hear any difference between the SACD and redbook layer on hybrid discs. Today's DACs are so good that I think the hi-rez formats have no purpose, if they ever did. When I listened to 7/10/89 via the Denon's HDCD decoder through the analogue out, it wasn't as good to me as the non-HDCD version pumping through the DAC. (the DAC does not utilize HDCD decoding) YMMV.

Jerry Christmas and a Happy New Weir to all!

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

Glenn Miller, he was pretty durn good. I dig on some of that old swing music.

Never heard of Jim Pepper.

Jerry Garcia weed doesn't bother me at all. Snoop Dogg and Willie Nelson and God knows who else have their own strains. Is it really any worse than Cherry Garcia ice cream? I mean, Garcia heroin might be in slight bad taste, but to each his own. Ever since The Who started sponsoring their tours and selling their songs to car commercials, nothing has been sacred.

Last five:

GD Complete Live Rarities Collection (ok, most of it over the past 24 hours)
GD To Terrapin 5/28/77 Hartford, CT
ZZ Top Live In Germany 1980
Wes Montgomery Echoes Of Indiana Avenue
AC/DC Let There Be Rock

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I'm gonna guess that they put their name on a strain some botanist bred over a period of multiple generations. Undoubtedly grown, trimmed and cured without any real contribution by the celebrity name on the strain.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Perhaps.. Mountain Girl was quite the grower back in the day.. even authored and coauthored a couple books on the subject.

Here's one.
https://books.google.com/books?id=ujwJULUMtzkC&printsec=frontcover&sour…

I can see Leds point.. but something about it just doesn't feel right. Anyway.. not super important, it beats the alternative where nobody is growing and it's still illegal.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I read one of Mountain Girl's Primo Plant books back in the mid-eighties, interesting to see your reference. No real skin off my back what someone calls their weed, but I can't help think of the scene in Pineapple express where the main dealer was coming up with random strain names for the products he had in stock. Spanish Trampoline anyone?

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Apparently the Daniels family is now calling their Tennessee (Jed) whiskey Jack Daniels.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

James Joyce. Never read any of his books, but I understand they are quite the grind.

This summer I started Moby Dick. Got about 50 pages in. Brought it to the pool one day and a woman walked up and said it was the most boring book she ever read. Stopped reading it right there.

Currently about 80 pages into The Brothers Karamazov. It’s a bit of a struggle, but I understand it is worth it. Crime and Punishment is one of the best books I have ever read.

Other books that can be a bear, but are totally worth it - A Prayer for Owen Meany and A Gentleman in Moscow.

Merry Christmas to all.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

Charlie, Glass Houses from Billy Joel, wow!
That was my first concert. Went to see Billy Joel at the St. Paul Civic Center in 1980 or 81. My Dad took me and a buddy. I think we were in fourth grade. I remember my Dad commenting on some guys near us were smoking pot. Crazy memory.
Deadheadbrewer-
I am interested in your thoughts on that Marantz CD player you just bought. I was looking at that one as well and thought, will it really give me better sound than I have now?? Interesting to me also that you do not notice any better sound with your HDCD player. I keep thinking I need to find one to get that additional 4 bits.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

LMG admit it. The jig is up. The waist is in the pants. The plain has left the station. If the foo shits, wear it, as my dentist says. Or was it something about my teeth? In any event, when this many people call you out your best bet is to fade away, and run your monte on the other side of the tracks for a while. Sell your grilled cheese at the other exit as it were. But who am I to give advice? Just a guy on the internet. Mighty swell be a bot, or a russian. Lots of russkies around these days. Just not in major events they tell me.

I tried Ulysses years ago, and failed. Vowed when I turned 40 I'd try it again, and finish. So it was. A few months ago I got through it. Can't say I understood more than 35% or so. But its part of the can(n)on, right? A few phrases that stuck with me:

What's a pier? A disappointed bridge.

God made food, the devil the cooks.

Whichever way the cat jumps.

Short story long Ulysses is worth the effort, although if I read it again i'll read the Odyssey first. Leopold's stream of conscious is where it's at. A readers' guide definitely helps, no shame here. Plenty are available online. For the best authors the real nut is in the re-read, which deadheads should be familiar with. Same with Pynchon, who I consider to be the master of 20th century literature. I can't wait to read Mason & Dixon again.

Still waiting for that '84 halloween dead sweatshirt I ordered in early October. Warehouse issues they say. Who am I to argue? I don't need amazon style broken bone high stakes empty pool high wire Larry Darrell razor's edge envelope pushing without a net highest ladder step can of corn Randy Johnson fastball sort of delivery. When somebody has a minute just slap a barcode on it and toss it in the van with the next Dave's, right?

Not totally stoked about another '77 show as the gemstone of next year's series, but I do consider 2019 to be perhaps the best year of Dave's . I did miss year one.

I'm on board with Gainesville needing to be released. Love to see that as a Dave's. And a '71 Cap Theater box would be fantastic for the new decade.

Sorry for rambling. No offense meant to anyone, I love this place. Good times good music good vibes. Now where is that traffic light? This should be easy for a bot.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

....Stephen King churns out books faster than I can read them. Vonnegut is good, as is Poe and Lovecraft.
VGK lost in OT, yet currently tied for first in the Pacific. Points add up.
Slave To The Traffic Light - Phish. That's for you slow dog. Ramble On - Led Zep.
Look at us old timers on the net of dead.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

I KNEW there was one more thing I was going to say in my previous post. I started it (for the first time) about four years ago, then abandoned it about 200 pages in. Two years ago I started it again, but only made it about 150 pages in. This fall I re-started it again, determined that the third time would be the charm. This time I'm allowing myself to skip the chapters where Melville describes whale anatomy and the chapters where he references every ancient myth and text known to humans. This time I'll make it.

Purchased (and loved) A Prayer for Owen Meany from a recommendation from this chat group. A while back I also picked up a copy of V by Pynchon because of someone here mentioning it, but I haven't started that one. I own Ulysses, and will try it one of these days . . .

Great book? Cry, the Beloved Country. Sula by Toni Morrison. Birds Without Wings. The Things They Carried. Steppenwolf. (don't get me started . . . )

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Is it still socially acceptable, then, to smoke weed in the States where it has been legalized ? It must have a very different image for a 16year old living in such a State to the one it had for me back in Oldham in 1973.

Maybe with naming strains or naming anything else, come to that, it makes a difference if the individual associated is still alive to give their consent to having their name used.

I haven't read either Ulysses or Moby Dick, I am ashamed to say. Two I have on the go at the moment are Rob Young's excellent "Electric Eden : Unearthing Britain's Visionary Music," and " Fiends in the Furrows ", and anthology of folk horror short stories that has just been published.

Oh, yes...I listened to The Dead this morning. Dave's Picks 6, to be precise - the 12/20/69 show. You have to be careful, because the excellent second set is on the second half of the second cd, followed by the first set on the 3rd. There is also a Lovelight which kicks off the 3rd cd which is only marginally shorter than Moby Dick.

That one about that Waldo guy.
You had to find him.
I gave up after a page or two.
It was several orders of magnitude harder than finding reCRAPTCHA traffic lights.

:)
Happy Friday Deadland.

Last day of work before a week and a half off.
Woo Hoo!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

on a happier note:

3/18/77 is phenomenal. listened to disc three, 3/20/77's Scarlet, and some of disc 2 of 4/2/73 on a rainy, sloggy drive to Tacoma last evening.

March 77 Winterland...YO DAVEnPALS...how about giving this run the full Norman?

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

My 5-cents......Any book written by Nick Hornby is well worth reading. You can start with Fever Pitch(even if you're a Liverpool fan), and go from there, but really, you can start anywhere. If you love humor, great writing, and music(!!),
you can't go wrong. For the music fan, perhaps start with "Juliet, Naked", and go from there.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Read Bram stokers dracula. It's a scary and great read. Also the Oddesy is a great one too. Peace.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

I read Ulysses. Just so I could say that in a public setting. Thanks for the opportunity.

Re: AJS. Dostoevsky is my favorite author. Demons is hilarious, terrifying, and perhaps the most prophetic novel ever.

"Call me Ishmael." Greatest first line in literature.

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

The "new" Garcia release dropped into my mailbox this week, 1/23/73 from The Boarding House in SF. It's decent, much better than what I felt was a low-energy and disappointing Eel set. This one is funky and has great live sound.

After awhile, I go back to and prefer actual Grateful Dead over Garcia band, primarily because the music is more diverse and interesting. JGB is always the same, in a way, like jazz: first they play the head, then everyone in the band solos, then they reel it back in and finish off what was a three minute pop song in, like, 13 minutes. It doesn't suck, but it feels like it was just an excuse for Jerry to go out and get paid to play every night.

The Garcia family will obviously keep releasing these shows as long as they sell. It's not much different than what the Hendrix family does. I see Tom Petty's wife and daughters just reconciled over financial issues relating to his estate. And Chris Cornell's wife is suing Soundgarden.

It's always the same, and I suppose not unlike when the head of a well-to-do family passes on without a proper will and all the siblings fight over it, with half the money going to lawyers. Not a good look for anyone, but hardly a surprise.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

I generally like cheap action, I like good to win and bad to lose, and bad should lose.... badly. Kill the wife deserves a beating and a head shot. Kill the kid and maybe a good impaling. Kill the dog,,,, impaling, while being feed into a furnace.

Any of the real literature is generally too depressing, that's why I read the newspaper.

In real literature, I like Phillip Roth. I Married a Communist was my fave. I liked Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. W Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge.

Real reader in family is my wife and she only reads real literature, no supermarket authors for her! Her monster book was Infinite Jest, said the footnotes were as long as the book.

And as some said about Moby Dick, my brother-in-law also complained about how much raw detail there was on cutting up whales!

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Hey, 3/18/77 isn't released is it? You wrote that you were listening to disc three. Same with 3/20/77. Thanks

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I thought it was funny how killing the dog gets a worse punishment than killing the kid and your crime drama novels

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Great author. I love High Fidelity. Both the book and the movie.

I will now sell five copies of "The Three EPs" by the Beta Band.

Ian McEwan is another author that comes to mind. Atonement was a fantastic book.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by Mind-Left-Body

I have unofficial copies of March 77 Winterland from my "source", a very generous soul.

writing about Winterland as Metallica describes being "trapped under ice".

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Those lucky folks in the legal states are always talking about their sources and strains.. :D

I think they should keep the March '77 Winterland Shows together are release as box.. much like they SHOULD have done with Winterland 74 (and Berkeley 72 for that matter).

If anyone wants the Winterland Spring run.. I am happy to send them your way. Just figure out a way to either PM me or have a friend PM me.. Until they fix PMs this whole contact thing is kinda awkward.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

does that go for June 77 Winterland as well?

I might take you up on that

didn't have the $$$ back when that was available

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

Charlie Musselwhite - Louisiana Fog Muddy Waters - Best of Muddy Waters. Little Walter - Hate to see you go Anthem of The Sun - expanded version Working Mans Dead - expanded version

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I'd love to get the Winterland March 77 run.

Not sure how to do it...

So I use iTunes for my digital listening because a)-It's easy to access and use , and b)-because I can burn discs from it.
I downloaded a show from etree just now but cannot access it via iTunes. I can only listen to it on windows media or some other app I never use.
Is iTunes non-compatible with flacs or torrents or whatever the hell is going on here?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Just getting into it...I love to hear Jerry play that geetar.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by KRIYAS

....was addictive the second time I heard it. The first time, a coworker tried to turn me on. I was deep into Slayer and Death Angel and such, and waved it on by.
Then I heard Europe 72....😲

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I had early listening background slayer....angel of death yes don't see that often but ultra violence and frolic were huge back in those days...maybe some nuclear assault?? hehe anyhow...sarah fulchers' solo efforts get old quick to me.. just first listen...did see slayer with manson in denver one time....it takes a train......

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Go pens playin tough know you luv we luv the flower

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

i know even though, might not hear, i let them know that in my heart head and soul no artist musically i have heard does what Jerry Garcia did, and when you'd see those moments to Phil, or Brent. or Bruce or you when he'd smile and you knew he was on it just making it happen with that guitar and his sweet delivery...yes GARCIA

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Blows me away that comments can talk about tech set-ups and phaser arrays and stereo link photon links add nauseum....but I get no help with what apparently is a simple music download.

Fuck It. Think I'll go read SET Magazine now...

I also use itunes, and no, I don't think it plays flac, only wav, mp3, and a variety of apple formats. I am pretty sure you need to first convert the flac to wav then you can let itunes convert the wav to some format it likes.
On another note, does anybody really, really like Drums and Space? I mean is it a super popular part of the shows? I was listening to it on the drive home last night and wondering why they played it so often; maybe it was something they really enjoyed playing and looked forward to, even if it meant bathroom break for a good part of the audience.

CJM...drums and space don't alway sound so much to me on recordings, but listening to a recording of Wembley 11/1/90, I was reminded that when I was actually there, lost in the soup of time, drums and space were the sections of the show I enjoyed most. Its not now, listening at home- but to be there- the power of it, and the way it seemed to ricochet round the stadium at incredible volume and velocity. So maybe, to fully get into it, you had to be there, lost somewhere in the middle of it.

Billy the Kid...tip of the hat for mentioning Muddy Waters and Little Walter in your last 5. Last month I bought a killer cd credited to Muddy Waters called "Rollin' Stone : The Golden Anniversary" . This features all the recordings made between 1948 to half way through 1952. Many, many tracks with Little Walter on harp...stunning sound...stunning music.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

JRF-there is a free program that you can download called XLD that will covert your FLAC files to ALAC. I have used it frequently however my system automatically purges it every time I run a general software update on my computer so I have to redownload it every time. You can probably find a link advertised in the back of Set magazine, or uuu can just google it, thus avoiding herpes if that’s not your thing!

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Hey man, curious if you had the chance to try the Absinthe yesterday? Was thinking about ordering some myself, and wondering what you thought??

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

My buddy JUST sent me a program called "FlacSquisher", free online somewhere (or he wouldn't have gotten it!).

Thing works very nice, very quick. I have been converting a massive amount of flac to mp3 and this little guy has cut my conversion time by 70% over the method I was using. Will preserve the id tag info also!

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

DaveRock, thank you for the tip of the hat. Muddy Waters recordings from the 1940s & 1950s are pure gold. I saw Muddy Waters play in 1977 at the 1839 Theatre in S.F., John Hammond opened the show. Lots of great videos on you tube of Muddy, Howlin Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson from the 1960s over in Europe. When Little Walter played in S.F. on 8/9/66 , at The Matrix Club, he was backed by The Quicksilver Messager Service. Walter stayed out at Quicksilvers place and they invited Pig Pen to come out and hang out with him. Pig Pen being a drinker , they felt he would get along with Walter

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Just part of the adventure

Hey yall

4 27 77
There is video

Another fine 77 show

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html