• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Oroborous

AJS; thanks! Hard to phantom it was all those years ago....
    That Visions was a Bobby Dazzler for sure. Was fortunate to see the first one in Hampton, (along with the Box Rain), and the last one on 7/8/95. Not as good, but still powerful in another way. Seeing Visions and Ballad of a Thin Man were definetly “career” highlights for this freak.

7/16/90; didn’t see much of CSN due to pre-show routines etc, but have seen them a few times going back to early 80s? Used to think they should have released this one as “Truckin’ up to Buffalo”, as the actually played Truckin’ in Buffalo, and I used to think it was a better show. But as I’ve become more familiar with the shows, the 89 show has really grown on me, not just compared to the 90 show, but compared to the whole Summer 89 tour...
    90 was one of the last times we hung out with Lee Esdee. Was with that 20 year old I’ve spoke of in the past, so definetly a fine day for sure. That summer tour was pretty good. I think it was on the slight backside from the peak of Spring tour, with perhaps a touch more slop than spring, including unfortunately Brent’s decline, but still a great time in GD touring history. Someday perhaps we’ll get something from that tour; maybe some video?

• JimInMD

Eleven

Agree w/ all comments on this one. Of course I missed the original incarnations, and there are some true barn burners. it's virtually impossible for me to pick a favorite. You have to give it to Phil (who wrote the music) for bringing this back with a vengeance.

It was a high water mark of many of my post GD shows. In fact.. all those old songs they brought back that most of us never got to see were perhaps the high point (for me) of the post Jerry incarnations. If you missed the original, these recreations are the best we are going to get and the closest we will ever come. Add Viola Lee Blues to that list of 60's redux songs. Man.. to have been at some of those back in the day.. Set the controls for 1968.

Here's one for historical content.. the Owsley show at Radio City. The entire first set was pre 1968. RIP Bear, Shine on you crazy diamond.. and it's a pretty clean soundboard. The viola lee is especially fun and bouncy.

https://archive.org/details/furthur2011-03-26.sbd.official.113515.flac1…

• Angry Jack Straw

Totally agree. Positively 4th Street from Garcia Plays Dylan is an all time great. I can never get enough of that one.

The Eleven. Had to chuckle a bit. Most of the songs I originally missed have been revived by the various iterations on the band. I've seen Dark Star, St. Stephen, Ripple, etc. Pretty much everything. While very cool, it just isn't the same.

The lone exception was The Eleven. Furthur broke it out one night. Now that was some awesome stuff.

• nappyrags

The Eleven...

• Sixtus_

....7/16/90, Buffalo - my first show. What an intro it was.

Cool to have CSN open as well....

Sixtus

• JimInMD

I hear you...

And that Visions, now that's a score. I might listen to it now.
    ..and if that wasn't good enough, YouTube put on the Garcia Band '75 Keystone version of Positively 4th Street from Garcia Plays Dylan next. I think I have to just close out that window and go to bed.. nothing's gonna one-up that mini playlist.

Night folks.

• Angry Jack Straw

I posted a few weeks back about rarities that I caught and those that I missed. Topping the list was the Philly Visions of Johanna. In a year almost entirely devoid of any worthwhile music, it still stands out as one of my best memories.

Sure, I missed some cool stuff. Most notable the Hampton show Jim referenced. I caught a few Casey Jones and even HCS. Honestly, you didn’t miss much. Sure, they were great to hear, but not played like the old days. You eluded to that when you mention seeing fragments of Dark Stars over the years.

As time passes, I just become more thankful for having caught some excellent shows over the years. It’s been 25 years since our boy moved on. Most of the newer generation, never even got to see him play.

And yeah. I never really need to hear Throwing Stones/NFA again.

• stoltzfus

Some guy in the aud yells several times for

"SAINT STEPHEN!!!"

• Mr. Ones

Well, I was sick most of the Holiday weekend, so of course I started listening to the Get Shown The Light box, and now y'all are on to greener pastures. But, I did want to comment since I hadn't played the box in quite a while (same as Jim in MD).
    New Haven first, and good God, just a spectacularly good show. I dare say almost flawless until the St. Stephen (see discussion prior). It's kind of hard to quantify, but every song is played so damn well, and with such joy and abandon. Stephen started off as a downer, definitely got better (after about 2:30 in). Sugar Magnolia & Johnny B. Goode were also energetic, but flawed. Overall though, just superb.
    Boston next, and starts off with not quite as much oomph. Also, there are a few patches in set 1. But ohhh, the Half-Step>Big River is sublime. After that, all engines are firing as one. Terrapin, FOTD, Drums>Wheel>Wharf Rat big 2nd set highlights por moi.
    It seems almost sacrilegious (and foolish) to review 5/8/77. So I won't. If I can finish the box by tomorrow, I will feel compelled to type a short rejoinder.
    Tried to keep this brief, but what occurred to me is that like a lot of things, sometimes it's just hearing the right thing at the right time (also pointed out earlier in thread).
    Hope everybody enjoyed their weekend.

• carlo13

All I remember was that it was very,very hot out.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Todd Gak?

Set II from the Cow Palace is on deck.
Jim, remastered?

Happy New Year to all!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Its Winterland 12/31/72 for me. My copy is the FM UK released box that also includes the support slots of one cd and two cds from the Sons of Champlin and the New Riders respectively. Neither of which I have played yet.

But the Dead's set is stellar. It starts off a bit slowly, and only catches fire on set 1s penultimate song, "Playin", which is 18 minutes of uncategorizable magic. The second set is rock steady until the "Truckin-Other One" which is out of this world.

I haven't got the Band of Gypsies box yet, but I played the first set from 12/31/69 that came out a few years ago. Seriously funky.

My only memories of Holland are of Amsterdam - a wonderful place to get lost in when I was last there-1990.

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

43 years ago tonight I was up at Winterland, fun show. A flyer went around at the show that said New Years starts at 1230 tonight. Bill Graham was over at the Cow Palace with Santana at 1200, he came back at 1230 to fly down from the balcony on a motorcycle. 50 years ago tonight I watched the Dead on tv bring in the New Years. Jimi M.D. I was at that show with Etta James on 12/31/82, it was fun. Happy New Years everyone, have fun.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Boston Tea Party... had the tapes...back in the 80's.. i have to say haven't listened to this one in over 25 years.... Big fan of Cow Palace show, and the 12/31/82 show...

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

While yall are gding

I am stuck in a room playing pop hits

Its for a great cause
But i detest pop

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....theres pop, then there's pop. MJ and N'Sync. That's all I've got.
Stoltzfus is in the punch line. Happy 2020 everyone. Scored two tabs of acid recently. The first in a long, long time. Thinking about it....(maybe a half?)
A half it is. Don't tell mom.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme one more for the road

What do you want? What do you want?
I want rock'n'roll, You betcha
Long live rock'n'roll

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Happy New Year to all the GRATE heads that have hooked me up with music this past year! Looking forward to another year of GRATE releases!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Also a big fan of Cow Palace '76 Jimbo. The multi-track really helps the engineering team punctuate Garcia's guitar; I beleive it's the only multi-track of the Travis Bean that's been released. I'm not much of a "best ever" guy, but They Love Each Other is something else. Highlights are too numerous - it's the whole show pretty much. Samson & Delilah is also particularly exceptional (coolest one-time only intro ever, right?); then again so are Eyes of the World, Playing in the Band and Morning Dew. And Scarlet Begonias. And UJB. Wharf Rat. Ridiculously good.

I would be in a tough jam choosing between Cow Palace and The Closing of Winterland. If we're talking strictly 70s, I don't think there's a better Stagger Lee or Miracle. From the Heart of Me is a nice interlude sort of tune. In my mind the Scarlet / Fire is possibly the most overlooked fantastic versions out there. The Dark Star is in my top ten desert island Dark Stars, I think probably because it just hangs on the main theme for the better part of 13 minutes and has a really intense 5 minutes of The Other One sandwiched in. Great version of Good Lovin', which I'm not particularly into without Pigpen, but every once in a while a special one comes along (this has a great sustained "got to have love" chorus toward the end). And then there's my boy Keith - the guy took a lot of bad press for (allegedly) losing his chops in 1978. I never heard it. All I heard was a shrinking canvas for him to play on. This show features some great playing from Keith that stands out on Big River, It's All Over Now, Playing in the Band, and Johnny B. Goode. Strong stuff.

Carlo - love the Def Leppard call-out.

Daverock - there was once an old regular here named wjonjd who was famously knowledgeable about most things Dead. He regarded 12/31/72 very highly, once saying, "the Truckin'-Other One-Morning Dew sequence has to be one of the greatest jams of absolute all time. Simply mind blowing."

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Keith...nice to read that someone else has spoken up for this Truckin-Other One-Dew jam. A lot of the great jams are well recognised as such - but this one seems to have slipped through the net a bit. Maybe because New Years shows only tend to get played on the evening in question, and there is strong competition from the other years mentioned on here. But I would highly recommend both this jam and the first set Playin' .

I'd better get on with 12/31/76 now, before the glamour of the moment fades completely.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

....after Cow Palace, I wasn't done listening to the boyz, so I randomly picked Dave's 13 2.24.74. And, wouldn't you know it, that the ending crescendo of Morning Dew occurred exactly at the stroke of midnight. Mind blown.
Then I watched Phish's new years gag at MSG. Phuking Nuts. Happy New Decade!!!
https://youtu.be/vV0BSum25XQ
.....love em or not, they do put on quite a spectacle.
Edit. Trey gets stuck but improvised like a champ.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

This Cow Palace 76 NYE is just outta sight!

Anyone need it? I'll send you a copy (do PMs work?)

Peace, and Happy New Year, DeadLand!

I was there for 28 and 29... tix for the 30 and 31 were crazy! The 29th was incredible though...

Send in the Clones.

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Like it more and more I play it........ Smokestack Lightening keeps getting me!!! Next up the 28 minute other one!!! When i first got it, i just played the Bo Diddley songs..... So i missed the rest...... best part of going back for a visit.
bob t

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

We went to the D&Co Chase NYE show last night. Geez that place is huge! Folks in the rafters better not have a fear of heights!

OK show with some nice highlights. H>S>F was great to open the second set, and a cool Milestones after drums. Third set after the Roaring 20's themed NYE countdown stunt including a Dead airplane and flappers was cool: SM>UJB>Scarlet Fire>Sunshine Daydream.

NYE 1971, 48 years ago, was my first Dead show, what a great annual tradition!

Happy New Year and New Decade, fun folk!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The Tennessee Jed on the recent DaP 32 has a blockbuster solo jam climax. I've always enjoyed Jed, but lately it's hit the upper tier of songs for me on account of that instrumental jam they go off on around the 5 minute mark (especially in one drummer mode).

Vguy I had a whole paragraph of boring shit about how I just realized last week how great that DaP 13 Dark Star is, but that I need to revisit the Dew. Then as I've done dozens of times before, I nodded off with my thumb resting on the backspace key and poof - all gone. Wasn't anything that captivating.

Bobby T - ditto on DP 30. Then about a month ago I finally checked out the rest. Brokedown Palace, China Rider, and Truckin' come to mind. Since you like the Smokestack Lightning, you may really dig the one from the previous December 7 on DaP 22. Something about getting that piano in there really helps these two versions (along with Pigpen's sincerest "wasn't me" inquisitiveness regarding who exactly did bite the little sister - Awooo! Good stuff

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

What a great time to give this beauty a re-listen. I really should keep it on the box for a while.
I appreciated how that since they could not give us all of 1/3, they chose to eliminate songs that were played on 1/2, so it feels a little more complete to me.
Alligator-->Feedback medley on bonus disc is indescribably delicious!!
2020-Love it already!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Thanks for the reminder Mr. Ones....a 50 year anniversary....Mason’s Children knocking at my door!!!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

I was (and am) very high on this release, it's good to see this get some praise.

Let's not forget, the Mason's Children from this show first appeared on Fallout From the Phil Zone, so we know Phil had a high opinion of this version of the classic rarity. ..and the show starts exactly the same way as on the Fallout cut, like Bear had the tapes loaded and read to go but barely made it to the recorder to hit play just as the second chord of the song was played.. almost perfectly right on time minus one beat.

Yes, bonus material is a real treat.. but that Dark Star suite is also true classic (as is the one from Dave's Picks 13, Winterland 74 discussed just earlier in this very thread). To think.. the night before they had Hendrix and the Band of Gypsies, then two nights of the GD. Holy Cow.. to have been a young hipster bouncing around in Greenwich Village in late 69, early 1970. Wow, that must have really been something.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

…. be on the lookout for a complete list of Jerry Garcia Shows!

I just got done, sorting, labeling and stacking every(?) show by Jerry,,,, about 800 show. Anyone have a complete list of every show, period? Then I can check what I have against what was done.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

In reply to by wave-that-flag

Thanks Wave that flag! its cool that a friend made copies for you. I did check my bank statements and yes they did refund my money without letting me know. It looks like box is all sold out now. Oh well. Happy new year

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by Dave Sweeting

4 2 73 wowzer
10 3 76 wowzer
4 25 71 currently at CJones
a pleasant surprise in first set
4 23 77
4 22 77

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

The database on jgarcia.com is the most efficient resource I've yet found. Its engine allows you to search by date range and lineup (including multiple lineups in a single query), then sort results in ascending or descending chronological order, while providing a setlist and roster of musicians. Link: https://jerrygarcia.com/shows/

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Kate_C.

Speaking of lists of shows, etc.. I would love to get my grubby little paws of a database of all the GD shows and setlists that exist. Something like setlists.net or deadlists.com that I would put in a database of my own.

Doubt if anyone out there has one they would share.. but thought I would ask while the subject came up.. I started screen scraping one of the sites and building my own, but only made it through 1968 or so and gave up. argh..

(I know.. nothing worse than geeks with spreadsheets)...

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I have deadbase 50.. Big and purple, but unfortunately.. paper. I was hoping someone out there had all this electronically. It's the only way I stand a chance on 30 days of dead. :D

Wishful thinking...

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

If I could go back to the past and attend any 5 Grateful Dead shows they would be: 2/28/69, 3/1/69, 5/2/70 and 5/15/70 early and. late shows.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Kate C - thanks for the heads up on the deadbase book, I didn't know that info was in there. I took a look and was, like wow, there's a lot of shit here. I usually only use it to check playlist of dead shows. The jerry site has an odd list, great to find "a" show, but a full list that's useable I've yet to figure out.

thanks, as bogart says, you're a good man sister.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

H2H starts strong and keeps building and buil....

the tape cuts.

D'oh!

Another tape cut that annoys greatly is 4 7 71

a nice jam starts out and then cuts. Grr....

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Last night channel surfing brought up the Dick van dyke show

Rob and Laura are in respective twin beds watching tv

She's eating a banana
He's eating an apple

Is that significant?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I got out of bed ,(pulled a comb across my head) , saw a bald eagle near home. Listened to some of Dave’s Picks 30.
For an old fart it was a good day.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Has anyone spent time with the "Listen to the Music Play" digital book of setlists and other stats? Available (choose your own price) at https://www.gratefuldeadbook.com/. I have it, but haven't spent time with it, curious what other folks think.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by campaignshoutin

Worth a listen (or more)

A Relix article years ago dubbed April 71 "Acid Month" as the GD played NYC eight times

"Vann in Ahpril with the Grateful Dead sooteh"

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

It doesn't appear there's an entirely dependable or convenient digital option for your needs. Setlist.fm provides an easy-to-read chronological listing for the various JG solo incarnations by independent search (i.e., JGBand (all lineups at once), L&M, Recon, JG&Wales, etc.), but - after watching a utube tutorial on how to open a book - I found Setlist wanting for completeness when compared with GarciaBase and the attendant updates printed in DeadBase 50. Good luck!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Billy the kid...great choice of shows you would like to have attended - the first 3 you mention are 3 of my favourite shows, too. I would substitute 5/15/70, though, with the complete run, all 4 shows, that the band played in London at the Lyceum in May 1972. Just the venue, the music, the city-the whole enchilada. If I did go back, though, I would want to be the age I am now, 62, rather than the age I would have been in 1972, 15.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Do you remember how cool it was the first time you heard the start of set II with Wavy Gravy intro with the Dead tuning up in the back ground and just going into China Cat!!!! So got me into the Dead way back in mid-80's...... Keith Fan thanks for recommendation on Smokestack Lightning... Also gave 4/12/71 Pittsburgh a listen.... What a month April 71 was, Lusk Field House, Princeton, Manhattan Center.... Boston... Fillmore East run.... bob t

ah yes, I do remember. It was one of the first if not the first '73 tape I was able to get.

My copy did not have much distortion and was a decent sounding board but it was a little slow (off pitch).. so it had this funky, loping (incorrect) rhythm to it and I loved it anyway. I don't believe I had the whole show initially, perhaps just the second set or just 90 minutes worth, I can't remember. All those new songs, perhaps the most new material ever played in a single night? I didn't hear a copy that was pitch corrected until Archive.Org got up and running years later. What a revelation that was.. like, oh.... aahhh.

As for all the recent talk of '71, the good Doctor's ears must be burning.

Kate, a ghost from the past, good to see you and Happy New Year.

Keithfan, I assume your New Years resolution is to stop posting while commuting? :D

So all is well albeit a little global calamity. Let's hope we can put that genie back in the lamp. Fingers crossed.

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Wow. Forgot about the Sugar Magnolia Jam between the Feelin' Groovy Jam and Soulful Strut Jam. Great 30 min DS, and was enjoying the St Stephen when I arrived from work. The jam was good, the return was a little shaky, but if I recall, The Eleven is pretty smoking. Think 30 has to be Pick of the year. Sucks it took so long to receive it, but it finally happened. Had a burned copy prior, and ripped it to retrack it. May listen to more of it tonight, have some photo/computer work to do, and it shall be great background music at a high volume. Have a grate weekend! Seeing Star Wars tomorrow, hoping it's better to me than the reviewers.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Does anyone else remember a scrolling list of show dates and locations from the original DaP series announcement. 32was definitely 100% on that list. I'm wondering what else was on it and released so far. Y'all remember that, it was 8 years ago and most of us uhh probably have pretty shot memories, maybe there are screen shots somewhere?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html