• 1,852 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • JimInMD

You're right.. they did it at BCT too. I forgot about that.

Brewer, I'm with you on ticket prices. It scared me away for many a show too, again, not because I can't afford it. The pricing and the way that pooped on the fan preorder = a real WTF are you guys doing factor. Couldn't they modernize GDTS or something? Perhaps Ticketmaster and LiveNation have too big a stranglehold, but the process leaves me feeling dirty.

• Oroborous

AJS; sorry to “stir it up” yuck, yuck. I bet anyone who went to a decent amount of shows has some tale of regret.
    I had tix for Toga 88 but had to deal with medical shit and an upper GI that day sohad to sell tix. Probably 4 or 6 other almost/what if’s, but “goes to show....” Perhaps that’s what made the “super” shows we did get to so special.
    SHE BELONGS definetly a Bobby Dazzler. Saw a few of those and Believe it or not, which to me was like a cousin, or “Jerry” version of She Belongs. I love She belongs so much I used to play it. Also, don’t feel bad, the first night of Hampton 88 was the only time I went to a show but didn’t get in. I know Stir it up and Visions aren’t quite the same, but it still sucks. The part that really sucked was not knowing that the show was being broadcast in some (hotel?) parking lot. Dooooo! Heard the next day it was a hell of a party...
    JIM; yes, seems we were at many of the same shows...great minds think alike, lol
    Hopefully some day I’ll have the pleasure of meeting some of you nice folks at some shows! But,
    PRICES ETC; agree, tix, especially with all the bullshit charges are getting steep and the cost/benefit ratio ain’t quite what it used to be. That and/or I’m just another old bastard that wouldn’t leave the house much if I didn’t have to!
    So like many, I’ll still go as long as I’m able, it’s easy, and it’s close....very fortunate in Colorado that we have awesome venues and they come round fairly often...

BILLYKID; that’s one hell of an opening, and I’m guessing all around show!

• billy the kid

I bought my ticket that day at the box office. My seat was in the very last row. When I went up to my seat, there was a women up there with a handful of tickets, she handed me one and said "you can go down there and have a seat". I went down and sat in the second row. The Dead opened up with Box of Rain and then did Visions of Johanna. It was really cool.

• Deadheadbrewer

A friend and I always say that The Eleven was the best thing the Grateful Dead ever did.

I LOVED Futhur. I have enjoyed Dead & Co., but the size and price of their shows means I likely won't see them again. CAN I afford to attend?--yes. But at some price point it feels wrong to me.

• stoltzfus

i thought today was the order day for Dave's 33.

on your marks, non-subscribers

• JimInMD
    Visions redux, She Belongs to Me, Furthur

I think Further were their best from 2009 through 2012 (at least that's my take). I believe Bobby was expending extra efforts getting traction in the later years, something he seemed to address after they disbanded.

That's right.. the played a one-off of Visions in Hampton '86. I know I was at the Break Out of Box of Rain (which in doing some research was on a Friday night). Visions was the night before and I'll be damned if I can remember if I was there or not.. I think the answer to that depends on whether or not this was during Spring Break or if we drove down Friday after the early classes??? Oroborous.. I can only hope we crossed paths at one of the apparently many shows we seem to share in common.

Caught one She Belongs to Me too (Richmond).. what an emotional powerhouse that was.. when I hear it to this day I stop what I am doing and the emotions become my own. ..but I'm a sucker for the Jerry Ballads..

• Angry Jack Straw

Thanks for jamming me again.

It has been well documented that I missed the Hampton Warlocks at the fault of everyone else in my group who, for some unknown reason, placed a higher importance on graduate school than a historic concert. I also spent another night in Hampton listening to Ballad of a Thin Man in the parking lot. One of only two shows where I made the trip and was not able to grab tix.

It's all good boss.

I'll throw in "She Belongs to Me" for my most cherished memories of shows. Lot's of wonderful music, but those two stand out for sure.

It's funny. I bailed on the band for 15 years. Sure, I saw The Dead, The Other Ones, Phil and his collection of buddies whenever they came within a reasonable distance of town. Nothing seemed to get the juices flowing again. Then came Furthur and something just clicked when they played The Eleven. Kadlecik wailing away. It was great.

Saw Furthur a few more times, but they were never able to capture that moment again for me. It did, however, motivate me to get to the Capitol Theatre to see a bunch of shows. Phil and his boys were the clear stars down there. Among the many highlights were Viola Lees Blues, Doin That Rag and a half hour long H>S>F encore.

Back in 2016 a long time tour friend reached out to me with tickets for the first Dead & Co. show at Fenway. So, I went. Two things I will say, the sound itself was unbelievable and Mayer is the best fake Jerry to date. We had an unbelievably good time. First set H>S>F. St. Stephen, Dark Star, Morning Dew, Casey Jones.

Unfortunately, these days Dead & Co. isn't getting it done for me. I realize that lots of folks here enjoy it, but the tempo is just too slow for my ears. And the tickets are way, way overpriced.

So, I am back to the old formula of seeing them in my backyard. Bob rolled through a year or so ago with the Wolf Brothers. Again, a little slow for my liking. Got to see an acoustic Deep Elem Blues, Easy to Slip and Ripple. All were outstanding. I kinda wish he would just stick to acoustic. To me it is far more enjoyable at that pace.

Sorry for the rant, but you got me motivated to break out some old versions of The Eleven.

• Vguy72

...."These go to Eleven" - Nigel Tufnel

• Strider 808808

I was with an old Korean War veteran at that time and he took the minute or so for silence. He was the same age as Willie Nelson (3 weeks younger) and smoked as much weed. He was on a B-29 in the USAF. Also interesting to note he was very much anti-war. He used to go to Grateful Dead concerts several times a year. And he was one of my all time best friends.
    I only saw the Dead perform the 11 once, 12/26/81. No words , just the cord progressions.
    As far as Dark Star, St. Stephen, Lovelight -9/19/70 was a standout. (pigpen-thank you). 1970 was a wonderful time to be a teenager going to Grateful Dead concerts.

• Oroborous

Here, here, yaassss, thanks Phil for all the great “post” versions of this, Viola, Cosmic, New Potato etc. Will always have a special place in my heart for the Phil Denver Philmore shows, but man I really dug Further.
    Still think they should have had John, Warren, Jimmy, et el play parts of the Fare Thee Well shows. No disrespect to Trey, I think he did a mostly decent job, especially since they really didn’t rehearse much, but I think they would have been better shows with the guys who actually knew the tunes and had played them with the band members...but I digress....
    Have seen some good D&C versions of the 11 etc, a hot version from Boulder a few years ago stands out in my minds eye, but I think the Further ones were my favs?
    Speaking of the Philmore shows; that was a nice time in “GD” history. The Other Ones and Futhur fest were cool and kept things going, but I rember feeling like “yeah, this is more like it, this is the shit” the first few stands at Denver. Man the time they played Keep on Growing etc with a very Pregnant Tedeschi and Trucks, that whole set, phewwww, need to look that one up some time! Such a cool venue too, not big, but not too small. The venue, the band, all those great old tunes, it was definitely a great renaissance period.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

"Cause it's always like that with the Dead, you know - it's always the whole thing." - News Journal

As we close out the 2019 Dave Pick's series, we deliver on our promise to give you the "whole thing" with the complete performance from The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA 3/24/73 and what a show it was! An upstanding "musical eulogy" to the recently departed Pigpen, the Grateful Dead conducted a potent study in contrasts on this bittersweet night. They found easy balance between tidy jams like "They Love Each Other," "Wave That Flag," "Playing In The Band," and introspective moments on "Stella Blue," "Sing Me Back Home," and a poignant "He's Gone." It was all laid down with a discipline and a polish unheard of in any of the truly exceptional shows that had come before it. Yes, you might say, they cleaned up nice to carry on the legacy as Pig would have wanted.

Limited to 20,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 32: THE SPECTRUM, PHILADELPHIA, PA 3/24/73 has been mastered to HDCD specs from the 7" and 10" reels by Jeffrey Norman.

GET IT WHILE YOU CAN

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Compliments of Zuckfun and the Wayback Machine:

Dave's Picks

The following is a re-posting of the list of dates that appeared before the Dave's Picks logo.

This list is not complete, and again Thanks to cbs73, who had the foresight to write many of these down:

9/28/75 Lindley Meadows- Golden Gate Park- San Francisco, CA
6/10/73 RFK Stadium- Washington, DC
6/30/73 Universal Ampitheatre- Universal City, CA
9/11/73 College Of William and Mary- Williamsburg, VA
6/14/76 Beacon Theatre- New York, NY
6/22/91 Soldier Field- Chicago, IL
6/23/74 Jai-Alai Fronton- Miami, FL
1/2/70 Fillmore East- New York, NY
3/29/93 Knickerbocker Arena- Albany, NY
11/2/84 Berkeley Community Theatre- Berkeley, CA
4/15/78 College Of William and Mary- Williamsburg, VA
10/27/90 Zenith- Paris, France
5/26/73 Kezar Stadium- San Francisco, CA
5/17/74 PNE Coliseum- Vancouver, British Columbia
1/22/78 McArthur Court- Univ. of Oregon- Eugene, OR
3/9/81 Madison Square Garden- New York, NY
4/23/69 The Ark- Boston, MA
5/19/74 Portland Memorial Coliseum- Portland, OR
5/26/77 Baltimore Civic Center- Baltimore, MD
10/3/76 Cobo Arena- Detroit, MI
11/4/77 Cotterell Gym- Colgate Univ. Hamilton, NY
9/18/87 Madison Square Garden- New York, NY
7/31/74 Dillon Stadium- Hartford, CT

P.S. Kudos on your memory Itsburnsy...

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

I knew I'd made an attempt at writing down those dates in one of my Little Black Dead Books at the time (I cannot find a screen shot or video record of that introductory message anywhere in the ether). While I had most of the shows posted by WTJ, my recollection also included:
01/30/70: released as #30 + bonus disc
01/02/72: unreleased - Winterland
11/17/73: released as #5
08/30/80: unreleased - Spectrum
08/30/83: unreleased - Silva Hall Hult Center/Eugene
12/27/89: unreleased - Oakland Coliseum

edit: hi and thanx Jim

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

DaveRock, those May 1972 shows are truly fantastic, I would have loved to have been at those shows. My brother saw the Dead a couple of times in 1972. Hopefully we will get a 1972 box set this year like some folks here have been calling for.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

OK, now you've gone and done it!! My first thought on backwards time-travel (to a Dead show!!) takes me to 3/17/70 in Buffalo. This would be the famed 3-set (?) show, with a 3rd set involving improvisation with a symphony orchestra?
Who wouldn't want to hear that? Of course, I will bring a state-of-the-art recording device with me, so I can share this show upon my return. Why re-visit a show I've already heard (many times)?
There used to be a guy offering money ($1,000 or $2,000?) to anyone who had tapes of this show.
Damn, I now have a new bucket list show I hope to hear before I shuffle off of this mortal coil.
Life's no fun without something BIG to wish for!!

Well that's quite the interesting story.

From Setlists.net
"Hi Folks, I'm the conductor of this show's son (My father, Lukas Foss, died in 2009). The Buffalo News has recently reported on a reward being offered - $500 - which is kind of low (i'd say) by a radio personality, Micahael Caputo. When I read about it (the reward), I immediately offered another $500... which is still too low. I'm making a documentary film about my father and his musical world and would love to include some of this Dead/ Buffalo Phil audio and/or images... So... If anyone has anything or knows someone who does, please do get in touch with me. fosscb@gmail.com. Many thanks! - Christopher Foss
-Christopher Foss (02/27/2017)"

03/17/70
Kleinhans Music Hall - Buffalo, NY
Set 1:
Dark Star
Drums
Turn On Your Love Light

http://www.setlists.net/?show_id=0562

There's a good bit of banter back and forth between peoples posts. The final offer was $2k.

One of the returned Betty's? Ha.

user picture

Member for

9 years 2 months

Here's another, more comprehensive list of those potential DaP picks, kudos to whomever posted this originally.

I ordered them chronologically and cross-referenced them against the list of "known" Betty Boards once, to see what the most likely future DaP candidates would be. That led me to believe that Kezar and June 76 Beacon Theater shows might be high on the prospect list.

I will continue to cast my vote for 9/19/1970 Fillmore East as the bonus disc accompanying a full release of 9/20/1970!

There's still a lot of gold in them thar hills to be mined...

Dave's Picks List
1/20/68 Eureka Municipal Auditorium- Eureka, CA
4/21/69 The Ark- Boston, MA
4/23/69 The Ark- Boston, MA
1/2/70 Fillmore East- New York, NY
1/3/70 Fillmore East- New York, NY
9/19/70 Fillmore East- New York, NY
11/7/71 Harding Theatre- San Francisco, CA
1/2/72 Winterland Arena- San Francisco, CA
8/24/72 Berkeley Community Theatre- Berkeley, CA
2/15/73 Dane County Coliseum- Madison, WI
6/10/73 RFK Stadium- Washington, DC
6/30/73 Universal Ampitheatre- Universal City, CA
5/26/73 Kezar Stadium- San Francisco, CA
9/11/73 College Of William and Mary- Williamsburg, VA
5/17/74 PNE Coliseum- Vancouver, British Columbia
5/19/74 Portland Memorial Coliseum- Portland, OR
6/23/74 Jai-Alai Fronton- Miami, FL
7/31/74 Dillon Stadium- Hartford, CT
9/28/75 Lindley Meadows- Golden Gate Park- San Francisco, CA
6/14/76 Beacon Theatre- New York, NY
6/15/76 Beacon Theatre- New York, NY
10/3/76 Cobo Arena- Detroit, MI
5/18/77 Fox Theatre- Atlanta, GA
5/26/77 Baltimore Civic Center- Baltimore, MD
11/4/77 Cotterell Gym- Colgate Univ. Hamilton, NY
1/18/78 Stockton Civic Auditorium, Stockton, CA
1/22/78 McArthur Court- Univ. of Oregon- Eugene, OR
1/15/79 Springfield Civic Center Arena- Springfield, MA
8/30/80 The Spectrum Philadelphia, PA
10/14/80 Warfield Theatre- San Francisco, CA (Reckoning)
3/9/81 Madison Square Garden- New York, NY
5/16/81 Barton Hall, Cornell University- Ithaca, NY
8/30/83 Hult Center- Eugene, OR
10/21/83 The Centrum- Worcester, MA
10/9/84 The Centrum- Worcester, MA
11/2/84 Berkeley Community Theatre- Berkeley, CA
9/18/87 Madison Square Garden- New York, NY
7/29/88 Laguna Seca Recreation Area- Monterey, CA
10/26/89 Miami Arena- Miami, FL
12/27/89 Oakland Coliseum- Oakland, CA
10/27/90 Zenith- Paris, France
6/22/91 Soldier Field- Chicago, IL
9/26/91 Boston Garden- Boston, MA
9/13/93 The Spectrum- Philadelphia, PA
3/29/93 Knickerbocker Arena- Albany, NY

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Mr.1s: "Damn, I now have a new bucket list show I hope to hear before I shuffle off of this mortal coil. Life's no fun without something BIG to wish for!!"

The Age of Plenty still offers a few tie-dyed unicorns. A glance at the playbill that evening in March '70 incites a riot of curiosity and imagination:

*The program will open with conductor Foss as guest pianist with the Grateful Dead in a non-improvisation –pianist Foss playing the Bach Concerto in F Minor and the rock artists surrounding him with a rhythmic and electronic counterpoint.
*At 7:30 PM “The Dead” will orbit on their own-two drummers, organ, guitars, trumpet, congas-for an hour of their album settings in whatever version inspires them at the time.
*AT 8:30 PM Mr. Foss and a battery of sub-conductors will lead the orchestra in the American premiere of the Foss “Geod,” complete with laser show.
*At 9 PM “The Dead” will take over again. At 9:40 PM Mr. Foss will conduct Variations II and III by avantgardist John Cage.

Was this the first 30-minute version of Bach's Cto#5? Did Drums>Space incite psychic phase changes among the black tie crowd at Kleinhaus Music Hall? And even a lost possibility: consider what Constanten, with his Stockehausen scholarship, could have lent to the Cage Variations had he not recently left the band following the big bust in the Big Easy (recall that TC used piano techniques acquired from Cage for contributions on "Anthem of the Sun").

But this potentially splendid anomaly was not recorded: Bear, also suffering fall-out from New Orleans, was on State arrest in California; Betty wasn't traveling yet; apparently the Buffalo aristocracy didn't pirate Naks and mic stands under their gowns and long tails; and though Bob Matthews was recording during this period, he seemingly didn't that night (wonder if there were any proprietary issues raised by the BSO?).

Here's just about everything known: http://www.thedeadblog.com/grateful-dead-buffalo-philharmonic-1970/

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

I am with you on releasing 9/20/70, that show is one of my absolute favorites . The acoustic set is just fantastic. Maybe they will release it for the 50th anniversary of Working Mans Dead. I would love a 1970 box set this year, but anything from 1967 to 1974 would be cool.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

It would probably be like DSO playing on the same bill as the dead. That would be crazy. Oh, by the way I'm sure someone we all know will claim to have a full dynamic stereo hi-fi 10" Dolby double-fluggle mint condition audio/video of this night. With liners notes. Sorry I just could not help myself.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Hey dude. A guy by the name ecco homo said he received his july 78 box on Dec.23rd. You can go to the july 78 comment page by taking a short cut to community then press the link and you are on the comment page. But still no product. Its looking better for the boxes we so patiently wait for. Peace.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Does anyone have 3/13/76 Garcia Band playing at Oberlin College??? I grew up outside of there, never have seen it. Thanks bob t

PS Jack Baller thanks for the Hans Moleman quote from like 1990 or so!!!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Jack Baller

Completely agree. I have been advocating this one for years. Arguably the best Darkness jam the band ever played.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I've been a huge fan of this Dark Star for about the last year or so. How about that great moment where about 10 minutes into it, it sounds like they actually switched amps or had some kind of power / feedback meltfown. Perfect Dark Star cacophony and then they kick it up from merely awesome to absolutely perfect. Good call.

Jimbo - eeeesh on the New Years resolution and driving. I gave it up for a while after my car ghosted through the wall that one time, but then when else would I talk to you good people?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

What is wrong with the distribution of Dave's Picks Vol. 32? Mine was supposed to be delivered over two months ago. Tracking shows it got to my city, then it went to several other locations and eventually ended up in Franklin, Indiana, where it was "delivered." I live in Ohio. I have been told the Franklin, Indiana location is one of the distribution warehouses. Other than that, emails and phone calls have produced lots of apologies but no correction or delivery. The impression I'm given is this is a problem affecting many, but I see no word of it here. Any helpful information or suggestions?

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Worth a listen

January 78 would make a nice boxset

1 22 78 has already been released, but "California January 78"....dreeeeeam, dream dream dream....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

I've posted a few times under user concerns. I don't see how to send Marye a PM. "Yo Marye" help please! Tom G

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

If I could go back to the past and see 5 performers or groups ( not including the Grateful Dead) they would be: 1) Muddy Waters Blues Band in the early 1950s that included Little Walter, Otis Spann, and Jimmy Rogers, 2) Paul Butterfield Blues Band that included Mike Bloomfield, 3)Elvis Presley 1956, 4)Hank Williams 1950 or so, 5) The Beatles. There are many many more performers I would love to see , but this will be my first list of 5.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Listen 12-31-81 Oakland , Primo! Pick...💀🌹

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

5 artists I wish, wish, wish I could have seen:
The Beatles
Cream
John Coltrane
The Doors
Gabor Szabo......I could add dozens more, but I won't
I hope I win a "home version of the game"!!

It would have been quite something to see Robert Johnson in Greenwood Mississippi circa 1937, playing on a street corner. Or in a jook joint-although I imagine that could have been quite hairy for a wimp like me.

These would have been quite cool too:
13th Floor Elevators 1966-1967
Bob Dylan on his 1966 rampage round Britain
MC5 1968-1970
Jimi Hendrix- London late 1966-mid 1967-surely the daddy of them all. It must have been so unexpected, walking into a club and witnessing all that. I prefer the music he played live in the last two years of his life, going off cds , but for the sheer shock of the new, walking into one of those first few gigs with the Experience must have been outrageous.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

3/17/70; thanks Kate and Company for shinning a little light on that mystery....I’ve wondered and longed for that one since I was a tenderfoot, especially growing up in those parts. Weird, but locally could never find even one Head who knew anything about that night, let alone attended.
Kind of Ironic that one of the most unique and cool things they ever did and wasn’t recorded by the band who recorded everything!

5 Bands with the Time Machine? Yeeshk, that’s just too hard! Definitely Orignal lineups of bands I saw later like The Band, The Allman Brothers, Little Feat, and The Airplane, perhaps the Last Waltz? Jimi for sure, Early Zeppelin, who I had a ticket for near their end, but they cancelled so never saw them....Chuck B?, I’d say the Beatles but from everything I’ve read seeing them live was not really a great musical experience due to the shitty equipment and rabid fans etc...Original Blood Swet and Tears?, 50-60s Miles, saw him later before he died, but I’m sure no where like those golden years. Old and In the way in their prime? Winterland 74. Egypt, The Glen....I could go on and on cause no way I could pick just five 😀

DAVES 33&34; 33 I have a tape of so I know it’s a hot show, but I’m not a huge 77 fan so I know I’ll like it, but probably won’t get a lot of plays.....74 Dark Star on the other hand, boo-yah, I’m down with Any 72, 73, or 74 Dark Stars!
In fact, that pre Dave’s list y’all posted is interesting in several ways, but mostly for all the Dark Stars in the earlier listings. Also interesting how many of those shows ended up in 30 Trips....

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Traffic
Wilson Pickett
Van Morrison - early years
Little Feat - with Lowell George
The Wiggles - nobody can rival their lyrics. Other than maybe Phish.

Toot toot, chugga chugga, big red car.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

1. Jefferson Airplane
2. Howlin Wolf
3. Gram Parsons
4. Townes Van Zandt
5. Buddy Holly
6. Chuck Berry
….oops......reminds me of the Monty Python Spanish Inquisition sketch....

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Jimi Hendrix
Cream
The Doors
Country Joe and the fish
It's a Beautiful Day
Woodstock all performers

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

1) Parliament - Funkadelic / Mothership Connection era
2) Coltrane / Love Supreme era
3) Miles / Bitches Brew era
4) ABB original lineup
5) Dead FW 69 Live Dead shows . . . No wait FE 70 Dicks 4 shows . . . No wait E72 . . . No wait . . . Winterland 74 the GD Movie shows . . . No wait May 77 . . . No wait

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

California 1978 tour...... zero scarlet>fires in 10 shows to start the year. 2 and half shows with no Garcia vocals.. Sound quality is awesome and so is the playing.... For some reason I have always sort of glossed over these... I like the 5 day mini Midwest tour withe the 2 Uptowns, Milwaukee and Madison shows and my favorite Scarlet>Fire ever 2/5/78 Cedar Falls.
Also listening last night to Sirius and Dave played 3 songs from end of first set from Madison 10/25/73... Can you imagine that in 8 months in 1973 that if you went to U of Wisconsin or lived in Madison that you could hear two awesome Dark Stars from 1973!!!!!! bob t

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

master musicians of jajouka 1968

clifford brown and max roach quintet 1954

lightnin hopkins 1968

sun ra arkestra 1979

gogd 03 23 75

Five performers I would love to see...
1) Joplin
2) The Doors
3) Miles Davis and John Coltrane together
4)Weather Report
5)Led Zep

I was going to pass on the Songs for Groovy Children, Hendrix release , but bought it because of all the positive comments here. Sure glad I did - love it! Been spending the last week working my way thru all the shows song by song. Thanks for the suggestion - the great things about this group are the informed musical insights and overall positive vibe.

Take care...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I'll take this on in a slightly different direction

1. Bach
2. Fats Waller
3. Art Tatum
4. Bix Biederbecke
5. Hendrix

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

1. The Allman Brothers Band with Duane.

2. The Who circa 1969-70 Tommy tour. They were better in 1975-76 according to John Entwistle, but I have a lot of bootlegs from the Tommy era, and they are on a tear every single night. Like the ABB, the setlist is virtually the same, but the way it was played differed.

3. Grateful Dead 1969-74. Or to be at Barton Hall on Mother's Day 1977. I've seen most post-Jerry iterations, as well as Old and in the Gray before Vassar passed. But never got to see Jerry in action. Hard to really nail down a year, 1969, I could get Dark Star and Other One both, but no Wharf Rat. I love the jazzy jams of '73, but would love to have seen, felt, heard, and experienced the Wall of Sound.

4. The Talking Heads Stop Making Sense tour 1983. Again, a band doing the same setlist, this one completely planned and choreographed by David Byrne, just genius and high performance art. It is just a powerhouse performance all the way through. They are the one band I'd pay anything to see on tour if they got back together.

5. Pink Floyd in the Syd Barrett era, at Pompeii in 1971, and at Radio City Music Hall in 1973 with the Grateful Dead in the row in front of me watching them play Dark Side of the Moon and encore with Echoes.

5a. The Ramones at CBGB.

Guilty as charged by the Spanish Inquisition. Bet you didn't expect that.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....i too, would pay a pretty penny to see the original lineup play. Wild Wild Life encore. Calling it now.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Funny, just recently listened to the live album The Name of This Band Is the Talking Heads, second disc with stuff recorded on the Remain In Light Tour '80-'81. Same order as the set list for that tour, cool stuff, in particular Born Under Punches smokes. Disc 1 is stuff from '77-'79, also good stuff. Been a while since I listened to any Talking Heads before that.

Random side note, for a cool treat check out Jason Spooner's cover of Slippery People. YMMV but I dig it.

Interesting to see peoples' choices for shows to see with a time machine.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Shipped. Some new material to listen too. Now just waiting for july 78 box to ship. Some good news.

Hendrix
Pink Floyd - DSOTM tour
Who - around 69/70
Zeppelin - MSG shows for Song Remains
Ziggy Stardust - the tour that was used for the movie

Honorable mentions:
ABB with Duane
Cream
Janis
Eric Burdon and War
Airplane
Rush - late 70’s

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

In reply to by Charlie3

I like his cover of Wishing Well. That's a very nice cover of Slippery People, very slow like Dead and Company were doing it. :-) I'll be looking for that album.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Funny that there is a lot of Talking Heads talk going on around these parts. Over the holidays, the wife and I took a trip to NYC to see Phish at MSG on the 28th and 29th. On Sunday the 29th, we also scored tickets to see a 3:00 matinee of David Byrne's American Utopia show on Broadway at the awesome Hudson Theater. It was Byrne and about 11-12 musicians and dancers, all with portable instruments on a completely bare stage. The whole thing was choreographed to a T, and watching them all move as an ensemble, along with some minimal but creative lighting, provided for some incredible visuals. The music was a perfect mix of Heads tunes and Byrne's solo stuff.... Great show! I think it runs through February, and is totally worth checking out if you are in or near the city.

Peace

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

I would like to add a few more performers to my original list: Rolling Stones 69/70, Jimi Hendrix Woodstock & Monteray Pop Festivals, Howlin Wolf, Elmore James, Freddie King , & Janis Joplin.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Love that band as well. Stop Making Sense was a staple during the college years.

Our softball team had a tradition. Any time someone made an error, the entire team would turn towards that person and do the "hand chop" down our forearm, mimicking the MTV video from Once in a Lifetime. Same as it ever was.

I'll throw in Roxy Music as another band from that era that I listen to every now and then.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Coulda Shoulda Woulda.. yes, we all have regrets.. the shows we didn't make because we (thought) we couldn't afford them or didn't have the time. Some of these decisions turn out to be responsible, some the result of an unwillingness to toss caution into the wind and take a little risk.

I don't focus too much on the acts that were before my time. There's not much I could have done to influence these decisions beyond getting the Way Back Machine up and running.. :D

There are a few I could have seen, but didn't for some reason or another.. mostly the dreaded responsibilities of life.

like...

- Doc Watson (but I did see Earl Scruggs for the first time just about on his 80th birthday) so there's a bit of balance there, both high on my list of acoustic intramentalists.
- Stones (no brainer)
- Who (no brainer)
- Buddy Guy/Muddy Waters/BB King/Blues greats of my time
- James Brown
- Collins/Clinton/Parliament/etc.

That's sort of 5.

More importantly perhaps are the bands and performers I feel fortunate to have seen..

GD and JGB (high on that list and from a surprisingly early age, saw a couple of ho hums, but a surprisingly large number of what turned out to be quite good shows)

Followed by Floyd / Gilmour, ABB, S. Dan, Lots of Bluegrass/folk/etc, Zappa, Crimson, Yes, Rush, NRPS. But just as important are those smaller, intimate acts in small clubs/bars/restaurants/theatres, etc. Performers like Jackie Greene, Dr. John, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, Galactic, even DSO, Melvin Seals & Co, JRad, etc.

In fact.. the older I get the more off the beaten path I seem to venture.. smaller places, lessor known performance and intimate not quite discovered bands.. had a great time at the 50th aniv. of Alice's Restaurant a year and a half ago in a tiny place.. stuff like that. Small, no fuss and more or less unplanned fun. My festival days are likely behind me.

A few regrets.. but not really. Feeling both very fortunate for what I have seen and grateful for the recordings that exist and the efforts put into making them sound as good as possible here at dead.net.

Stoltzfus; that would be an amazing choice! Perhaps the ultimate Woodstock set?
Carlo/10/16/89; one of my top GD releases ever, the playing, the sound, the set list, this show for what ever reason seems to be so under appreciated? Hope you dig it! HEY DAVE, how bout some more fall 89......Spectrum shows anyone?
Talking Heads; critics and the public have always hailed Stop Making Sense movie as one of the top Concert films of all time, a must see if your not familiar.....another awesome band I should have but didn’t get to see. My cousin has seen them and DB solo several times and says he’s never seen a show that wasn’t amazing! Bet that solo broadway show was ridiculous....just talking about this makes me want to get up and dance!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

to note that we think the issue of not being able to send messages (PMs) is now fixed. Bring 'em on. Thanks! Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...
product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-32-1.html