• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

... still crystal flashing in the dawn.

Jerry's "Don't Let Go" release on Mission right now....

Perfect show, perfect time, perfect release.

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Release date: March 25, 2020.

Catalog No.: SICP-31361
JAN/ISBN: 4547366444971
Product Type: CD Blu-spec CD2
Number of Discs: 2

Japanese original compilation release of Bob Dylan features the high fidelity Blu-spec CD2 format. Includes 31 songs from his singles originally released as vinyl format from 1965 through 1985, and they are included in this compilation in release date order. Single version(s) becomes available as CD format for the first time in the world. Comes with a booklet with photos of vinyl discs of 31 songs (subject to change).

All that for just 3800 Yen. Looks like good value.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SICP-31361?s_ssid=e4761e5e400671577a

I regularly purchase CDs from CDJapan. I wish Amazon were as good and reliable as this.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Don't get me too excited with the talk of a fall 1980. That box had been on my wish list for many years. Just think of the possibilities with that idea. They could go big with the whole run or do five shows from The Warfield and Radio City. Either way, with three sets each night, it would be an unbelievable box IMHO.
Winterland 74 is a no brainier. They were on fire those nights. Recordings are some of the best I have ever heard.
Over saturation? I don't know, I am looking for more releases, but maybe I am in the minority.

Peace folks!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

More
More
More
Releases

And
Better
Better
Better
Customer service

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

I have been asked by TPTB to inform all of you that this year's box set will be...how shall I put this?

Ahhh, yes....................PRIMO!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

The 25 minute Jam out of Phil & Ned is quintessential 1974 Jazz Dead.. Also the song before is a 32 minute Playing in The Band, that was part of the movie!! So you get a 32 minute Playing to end the first set... followed by 24 minutes of Phil & Ned into a 25 minute Jam with the band, into a 17 minute Wharf Rat, into an almost 20 minute Eyes of the World.... It's just 74 at it's purest!! And then you get set III.... My 74 journey continues... bob t

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So I really like the idea of Winterland October 1974 box. I feel like that even though much of it has been released already it could use an upgrade. The movie soundtrack has edits to the tracks to match it to the film. Although that does make some sense as it is the soundtrack for the film, personally I would like the whole thing unedited.

However I am open to anything really. I liked the Giants Stadium Box set because it covered a couple of years at that venue which I thought was cool. A Greek Theater or Alpine Valley box done in a similar fashion would be nice. Also I would certainly be up for the fall 1972 box many have asked for. I want 10/18/72 to be released if they go with that.

If they went for the Fall 1980 I would hope it would be done in installments like Spring 1990. Between all of the Radio City Music Hall shows and the Warfield shows there is a lot to take in. For me it would be cool to get that in waves rather than one big box. Still I would but either.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Bolo let the cat out of the bag already.

Box will be fall '73 five shows on fifteen discs:

09/21/73- The Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA
09/26/73- War Memorial Auditorium - Buffalo, NY
10/25/73- Dane County Coliseum - Madison, WI
10/30/73- Kiel Auditorium - St. Louis, MO
12/18/73- Curtis Hixon Convention Hall - Tampa, FL

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

A fall 73 box would would be totally cool! Anything between 1967 to 1974, would be fantastic. I would also love a complete Warfield or Greek box set, all the shows, nothing held back, bigger the better. Hopefully they will release 5/26/73 for one of the last Dave's Picks.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

It would be nice if Pope did the next box art.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

europe 81 spring and fall

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...the Grateful Dead have a couple of Boxsets plan’d for 2020. The first is being released within the next few months. I’ll take any 1968 recordings they have left in the vault and the newly added recordings from this era/time/year; complete or not, I love my primal Dead & Pigpen playing,singing... PRIMo indeed my brothers & sisters. One box has already two pieces already released to most likely be gratefully welcomed among the greater part of the Dead’s Fan base here and across the pond....
I’ve always fond special guest of musians or partakes in the evenings passion Play Performance.added to the band for a series of performances
.... another treat is past artist in the Grateful Dead’s production is being welcomed back home - a divine Decision the dead have already started taking us places we are all in for a special treat from our boys being so close to the vineyards in Napa valley ; Calistoga San Fran 🙏❤️💀🌹💀🌹😎🤠

Regarding the Dylan collection you mention, one thing my ignorant self did not get when I saw the CDJapan page is this....what exactly is Blu-spec CD2 and does it play on a regular player? Anyone else here know of this format? thanks for any help

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Two box sets this year? Sweet! Can't wait.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by ty627

....those Alaskan gigs were pretty primo in my opinion.
But I'm just relaxing, typing soft keys on my phone. What do I know.
What I do think I know, is that the returning artist will be Tim Truman. I'm pretty sure I'm 86% correct on that.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Where are you friend? We need your opinions.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....those '69 Ark shows were the cream on top of the milk. Streaming and filtering 4.21.69 currently.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Blu-spec CD2 is one of a number of high quality CD formats to be found in Japan. It allegedly gives better sound quality and is totally compatible with normal CD players. I have a few and they do sound good and do play on my "normal" CD player without problems. Purchase with confidence.

I am continuing with my gentle canter through Dave's Picks, with plenty of diversions along the way, and I am currently up to number 7. So far, two have really stood out, both one's with bonus discs attached. The second from July 1974 is superb, and the 6th, featuring shows from late 1969 and February 1970 is a gift that keeps giving.

So I would like to see a box from 1974, too. The jams were just out of this world. Those shows from 11th February to 14th February 1970 at the Fillmore East would also make a nice box. The Dicks Picks portion is now ancient and could do with a sonic upgrade. We had the Dark Star from 2/14/70 recently on the Long Strange Trip comp. so I am assuming they have all the rest available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by simonrob

The resolution is still 44.1/16 so it doesn’t have any more information stored than a standard CD. The writing to the discs is done with the equipment used for blu-Ray discs so the error correction should be better, whether it sounds better is in the ears of the listeners. They should play in an ordinary CD player.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

No idea, but I haven't received my copy in the Netherlands. I expect/hope to receive it this week.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

The box with 2 pieces already released has been well discussed here. Yes the next edition of FW vinyl 03/01/69 should be released soon, and no doubt some of us will be happy about it. Count me as one of them! Primo indeed!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by frankparry

I haven't got mine yet. You will be the first to know when I do.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by cactus68

Bears sonic Journal: anyone familiar with “the Dawn of the New Riders” Box? Received a Garcia Provisions message about it. Was this already released, or something new, and how much$? If it’s already out curious what all y’all think?

BOLO: you rascally rascal! Let the games begin! But is LMG blowing smoke, or are we really getting 2 boxes?
That would be something, would really be something....

4 WINDS BLOW: (Fall 73 Box) I’m feelin’ what your dealing! Perhaps throw in the 9/11/73 just for the Dark Star if nothing else..

VGUY: Alaska, Woof! and ARK, ARK, ARK.....hey look at my avatar, what’d you expect....purring?

BILLY: 5/26 and/or 2/15/73!

HENDRIXFREAK: what about the “2 pieces”.....since we’ve already received a few from fall 72? Unless the “pieces” is one box, and fall 72 another? Of course that could all be false too?

BOX (s): 2 pieces?, ok, I’ll play along just for something to talk about/do....
- Winterland 74: sound track and Steal Your Money = 2. Personlly, would rather get something different first, but that run really should get the full treatment some time. Be a really Boobie Dazzler for sure, especially if there’s more video!
- Europe 74: I donno? Might be a stretch...Dicks 6 and Boxilla....I thought I read that they were too coked up and sloppy on this run? But as BOBT has been describing, there’s a hole lot of awesome fall 74 to hope for...
- Fall 90: another I’d like to see later versus now, but more good possibilities
- Spring 69: I’m downn with most any 69, but depending on how you look at it, hasn’t there been more than 2 already?
Fillmore 70: Dicks and Bears choice? Perhaps a complete and redone 2/11-14/70 like DAVEROCK said?
Spring 71: Vault 3 and Skullfuck? Maybe that’s a stretch? personally would not be as enthused about spring 71 (sorry Doc etc) though like all releases I’d learn to love it, and you have to think it will come eventually as I believe there’s multis etc, and there are some folks here who do crave it...

- Fall 89: personally I’d love some more, but we’ve had Warlocks, Nightfall, and Boxilla Miami so that blows the 2 pieces theory

- Fall 80: Dead Set & Reckoning, or last years 2 acoustic Warfields? I’d say between those and the 2 other 80 releases that voids the 2 pieces theory? Personally, another “some day”, but not now feeling. I’m sure itd be great, but not sure how much long term play time I’d give it...”some much Dead, so little time”. And like someone mentioned, perhaps they’d split it up like spring 90 because that would be a huge box to do all at once. Between the cost and the “much of the same” factor you’d wonder how well it would sell. I mean consider some of the more high demand shows realesed as boxes the last few years that are still on sale, or just sold out....

- Big Bummer: no 85 cause there’s only been two releases, but from different tours : (

- Wildcards: the rest of Boston fall 73? Not really a box there....More June 74 to supplement Dicks 12?. Off the top of my head anything else, especially with multis and/or reels, is either more than 2 pieces already, or one offs?
Well, at least ole Bolo has given us something to mess with during these long dull days of winter! Of course the big question is if the other “clues” are accurate?

I have to say, it is getting hard to guess the box sets. I wouldn't have guessed the Giants box in a million years.

Bolo's post makes me think I was wrong in my last hunch, suggesting multi-tracks over ABCD Enterprises (Returned Reels). We all know the returned Betty's are Primo dense. RFK 73 anyone? Now that's a mini box for the ages.

Blowing smoke or real? Some of the previous comments are so vague and have revealed nothing. The Ouija board would probably have revealed better information.

Just getting a Bolo post makes me think some detail on the new box is forthcoming. NostraBolomus and his quatrains. Didn't his last post correctly predict the Kennedy assassination and the rise of Hitler?

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

The NRPS BOX is excellant, solid gold. I got mine in early December from the Owsley site (Bears Sonic Journals). Hendrixfreak , mentioned it on this site before it ever came out, that's were I first heard about it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

You don't win anything unless you run over the guy in the bicycle on the next Craptcha frame, Bicycles. Then you win a steelie sticker you can put over the dent in your fender.

Agree with Billy on the NRPS box. Vintage and classic.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Guys for the New Riders feedback. I thought it sounded familiar, part of turning senile I guess. But hey, memory loss does have its upside. When the misses tells me “you’ve already seen this movie” I say, yeah but I don’t remember what happens so I can enjoy it again. LOL

“NostraBolonus and his quatrains. Didn't his last post correctly predict the Kennedy assassination and the rise of Hitler?” 😀 Too Funny!

Edit: kid, you could be on to something with that theory?

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Great songs, Marmaduke's voice is in fine fettle, and Jer plays beautiful pedal steel. See the setlists online.

Short version: Discs One and Two (August 1, '69, Berkeley club) is an ad hoc "Riders" with Mickey on drums (mostly off the beat but mixed in the background) and this is relaxing club music with mostly Marmaduke and Jer in the foreground.

Disc Three (Aug 28, '69, Family Dog on Great Highway) offers another great setlist with Weir taking lead vocals on a few.

Disc Four (Oct 14, '69, Berkeley club) more greatness with Will Scarlett on harp (he played on first Hot Tuna acoustic record).

Disc Five (June 4, '70, Fillmore West) is a real, full NRPS with Jer (pre-Buddy Cage, RIP), plus more Bobby leads.

The intended progression, which works for me, is from proto-New Riders (a Marmaduke/Jer collaboration) to a full fledged electric band with its own identity by June '70. Wide selection of songs, including many country chesnuts and lesser-known Dawson compositions.

Sound quality varies, but well within what you'd expect from Bear. Zero complaints on sound.

I think it sells for ~$50 and I have purchased every Owsley Foundation release (Janis, GD, ABB, proto-Hot Tuna, Doc and Merle Watson (a gem!)). I make annual contributions so they can carry on. A truly amazing archive and curated with loving care.

Obviously, I'm a huge fan of the tape trove and the Foundation's output. Buy it!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I kinda doubt that it will be anything from the 80's or the 90's, as the Giants box had both 80's and 90's shows. I would love a 1980 box for sure or a 91 box with more Bruce but I seriously doubt that will happen. So, If I had my way, If I had my way, If I had my way, it would be a 60's box or a fall 72 box. Don't want to be a downer, but LMG, do you work for the dead? How do you know that there will be 2 boxes? Bolo's clues are once again very vague and impossible to decipher. More cowbell!!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

My guess on a 73 fall box was made on what I thought the TPTB would think as PRIMO. With a 77 release and a 74 on the way I ruled those to years out 72 has a lot out there already 73 is lagging in releases.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...today Been enjoying 1971 RoadTrips v3 N2, one of Docs Favorites if my memory serves me well! With a grateful Bonus Disc .
And still coasting thru 2012 Picks in the Daves series Picks, one of my favorite years....

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Why not a box from 1970??
One can dream, can't he??

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

That would be primo and primal now wouldn't it...

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Good point. It's easier to hit the CrapCatcha bicyclists after a couple of Prima Pils too. A (sort of) local brewery, just one state over. With the exception of Sour Monkey, Good stuff.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Is that Dr. Jimmy and Mr. Jim riding the 5:15 to the Sea and Sand?

I’m overdue to watch that Movie. I’ll put it on the schedule for next weekend. Sting as Ace Face was a good call.
BELL BOY!!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

CowBoy State.... what a beautiful performance , I can feel the love the Doc has for this release. 11/14/71(Disc 1) & 11/15/71 (Parrt2) disc2
The Bonus Disc is from the 14rh performance
Warf ratinto sugar magnolia just perfect
China Cat sun flower I know you rider sugared and a mighty blessed primo trucking into drums the other ones

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html