• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...I just got the word, lost another good man to this opioid epidemic . A good cat, a young cat too... about 17 years of friendship , he will be surly missed, good night Nicky where ever you are, god bless...🙏😢💀🌹💀🌹

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I agree late '80s and '90s are out due to Giants box. '73 is too recent too, see PacNW box. Fall '80 would be tasty, and uncharted waters. Also could see a Capital Theater '71 box with a RFK '89esq follow up 2-Alaska show box late in the year.

I'll be happy with whatever they get out there though. Sound quality has been really superb on the last handful of boxes and I expect that to continue.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Yup. The sound is impeccable. My only issue is that the keyboards sound off during Estimated on disc 3. Very low in the mix and almost like static. Wondering if anyone else hears the same or if I have a bad disc.

I actually prefer disc 1 out of the three. Top notch Might as Well, Jack Straw opener. That being said, I can’t foresee this getting much play again. With two premier 77 box sets, DaP 1 and DaP 29 already out there, cracking the top ten of 77 releases seems a bit insurmountable.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

My powers say there will be two box set this year and the powers say they will be box shaped and I'm seeing........... they will be limited editions and if that's not enough I see.......it will contain color pictures and get this......music!!! That's it folks. The crystal ball is getting all foggy........
.and now it's just a dot in the middle and I faintly here the national anthem playing. That will be 10 cents please.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....for a holographic, VR box. We all know it will eventually happen. Wonder how much those floor seats will cost.
Here's your ten cents Carlo. Now then. Will the Dolphins ever win the Superbowl again? That's worth at least a quarter.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

Crystal balls are so unpredictable. I suggest opting for the tried and true Magic 8 Ball upgrade. Trying it now:

Q: Will we get an RFK '73 Box Set this year?
A: Better not tell you now.
asked the same question again...
A2: Try again later.

Drats.. I bought Mattel's dreaded Bolo24 edition by mistake.

AJS - Agree Me and my supermodel ex gf #33 are back to a mutual FWB status. Works for me.

We were talking about the Magic 8 ball, the truth seeking, fabricated, plastic, ball-shaped, mini wizard from Mattel.

Senator, remember.. it's an election year. Don't veer too far off script.

Agree on the raunchy Bertha, what a great set opener.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

that's funny Jim.
I see a lot of talk about beer on this site, anyone drink spirits? I was at the abc yesterday to pick up some cordials for a small gathering of friends, I had not been to a liquor store in a while and boy did I get sticker shock, my usual brand had gone up 30%, and I looked around for an alternative and noticed that most of the imported brands had increased by 25 to 30% also. Not having been up to date on the price increases, I asked "what is up with the 30% increase on several of these brands?" the reply by both of the people behind the counter "Tariffs". I shook my head and said "no, thanks" put everything back and walked out. Guess I won't be going back to the abc until after the tariffs are lifted.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Getting tariffs lifted on imported goods is in your hands. Your chance is coming soon.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by simonrob

But they worked so well in 1929. What could possibly go wrong?

Wait.. scratch that. Damned Tourette's.. Smoot.. Hawley.

Strange words are popping out of my mouth. I know not what I am saying.

I had a hard run... (back to your favorite set opener).

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Typically the only one I buy is vodka. Many imports too choose from in this category but my favorite is Tito's, which is made right here in the USA. I almost always have a handle of Tito's at the ready!

There are tons of good American bourbons and whiskey's of course, if that's your thing. Always have been, but now even more so with the boom of boutique distilleries. We have a couple of those that have surfaced here in KC.

Not sure about the other stuff, Brandy, Gin...etc. Probably should have bought that bottle of Absinthe back in December though....damn!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

....so as a belated xmas gift from my wife's brother this past weekend, we received a "smart" Sonos speaker that taps into Alexa's smarts.

I have to say, there is something extremely gratifying, even pride-inducing, to come downstairs in the morning to the GD playing by word of my five year old son's request: "Alexa, play Not Fade Away into Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad" (which is his favorite pairing of tunes - what can I say, he knows what he likes).

You can also ask her random things like "How many miles is it to Alpha Centauri" or similar.

Rock On
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

I try to avoid them.. but hey, I'm human and I have my likes. I got turned on to very good Bourbon and Scotch a while back. I know enough to buy Bourbon but Scotch requires a little more money and expertise.. so I rely on freebies from my friends.

Then I got turned on to really good Tequilas thanks in part to Sixtus (bad influence). That opened a whole new world, not the nasty crap with a worm in the bottom.. the good stuff, extra anejo, on the same level as Scotch and Bourbon. Vodka is the neutral spirit.. I'll take it on occasion. Gin is just beyond my reach..

I did go slightly deep down the Absinthe Rabbit hole Led lead us down a month or so ago. Hey.. they say it can give you visioins :D. I opted out of the imported stuff from the link he sent because they wanted a fortune to ship it here.. I did a bunch of research on authentic US produced (and hence free shipping) local alternatives. Ones that got good reviews on both authenticity and yes, flavor.. I bet if you tried hard enough you would find one with added Sage and you have Sage and Spirits (doing my best to tie this back to GD). Yes.. get it strong.. and you have to do what's called Louche'ing (sp?). I tried a few and settled on this stuff called Delaware Phoenix Walton Waters. Quite good if you drink it right.. I found add a shot or so to a decent sized glass of ice, then add water until it's got a milky white translucence to it and about the same ABV as say wine. It scratches an exotic itch, more of a novelty, but tastes quite good if done right. Visions? I'm skeptical, time will tell.

I tend to go for spirits when I don't want the carbs (and calories) of beer or wine. The problem, you end up consuming more alcohol and hence more calories anyway, so you get the calorie hit, plus the liver and unusually show to get moving brain the next day.. hence I find a need to exercise real restraint. ..but hey, I'm human and it's not everyday..

Now where were we? NFA>GDTRFB from PNW Box, Portland 5/19/74. Now that's a mighty fine show.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

https://archive.org/details/gd1986-02-11.schoeps.oade.gems.74961.flac16

China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
New Minglewood Blues
Dupree's Diamond Blues
Me And My Uncle
Mexicali Blues
Bird Song
The Music Never Stopped
Might As Well
Drums

Iko Iko
Eyes Of The World
Drums
Space
Truckin'
Stella Blue
Not Fade Away

Not Fade Away
Hey Bo Diddley
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad

CARLO: 😃
VGUY: 😃

SIXTUS: ....and so it begins! (The kid). Next thing you know, hell be telling you how much he hates you, and stealing your money to buy party favors and concert tickets,....just kidding of course 😉
But careful with that axe, er a, Alexa....very convenient but make sure you use duplicate access/security protocol as “the enemy is listening”. Always loved that Jerry sticker.

ANGRY JACK: I believe what your hearing is either just synth sounds with some sort of distortion, or perhaps he is using some distortion or effects unit with the synth? It definetly is something he’s doing on purpose. It is kinda surprising at first, but it grows on you....like a bad fungus 😉
Of course with the lousy QC etc.....
Interesting take on this 77 release. Meaning, personally as just a causal 77 listener, I really love this release, where as my usual feelings about 77 stuff is akin to how you feel about 33, lol. I love how we all have such different takes on the shows, years, versions of songs etc.

Thank you Oro. Glad I didn't have a bad speaker wire for just that one song.

After a series of bad discs, I've come to expect some defects.

It's not that I don't like the release. Rather, I have so much 77, that it won't be my first choice. Or second. Or third . . .

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

In honor of HendrixFreaks cat spilling the beans, I am spinning vinyl 2/28/69. AMDEW to get things rolling....doesn’t get better than that! (Well maybe)

Scotch - my wife won a bottle of Macallon 25 over a decade ago in a sales contest at work. Oh so good!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by P Hill

Ok PHill.. I get it. I like 86 too, just not as much as 85. Sorry I offended.

I especially like the one on thirty trips.

05/03/86
Cal Expo Amphitheater - Sacramento, CA
Set 1:
Cold Rain And Snow
The Race Is On
They Love Each Other
C.C. Rider
High Time
Beat It On Down The Line
Promised Land
Deal
Set 2:
Scarlet Begonias
Fire On The Mountain
Man Smart-Woman Smarter
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad
Drums
The Other One
Comes A Time
Sugar Magnolia

I was at 7/7/86 RFK Show. A bittersweet year for me. Apologies, again sorry I offended.

Edit: I was at the Hampton 86 shows.. this came up a few weeks ago.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Definetly a weird year....didn’t like as much as 85, but better than 87, only for personal predilections, not necessarily because they played better? Surprisingly, I’ve still only heard a few of the shows I was at so definitely territory that needs exploring...some day...was on a good roll that year...

3 Hampton (first time there)
3 Rectum
2 Alpine (first time there)
Riverbend (Awesome!)
Akron (lame)
Buffalo (good)

....until the Fat Man stopped rocking for a bit....
Biggest problem about 86 is the amount of veggies......can’t remember much about those shows, like more than any other year! Know we had “too much fun though” Haven’t heard the Boxilla show yet, looks good. Still have many in that box to get too.....so much Dead, so little time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J0jWv0lFqF0

Edit: that was are theme song in those days 😎

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Thankee for the Ol' Commander...saw the Lost Planet Airmen open quite a few times for the Boys way back when ... Hollywood Bowl '74 was a standout...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Nappy, they must of had many of the original lineup back then?. First time for me was around 80-81? Still a fun, kick ass night, but I believe several replacements by then. I member they had a roadie who spent most of the night retrieving huge trays of Molson Golden. He’d usually make it back from the bar just about the time they were out. Think they killed a whole bottle of Jack that the Commander had on his piano too, lol. Impressive to teenage me at the time. Have some good friends that saw them at the Armadillo in Austin, said it was awesome.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I am always drawn to the Fillmore East run from February 1970 at this time of year, and this often leads me to the Allmans set from the same run. My cd is the one that was released in the mid 1990s, and I notice its been re-released more recently as one of Bears Sonic Journals. I don't know if the sound quality has been improved from the one on my copy, and I wondered if anyone out there knew? High flying set.

Looking at recent Allman Brothers releases, several seem to have come out since I last thought about buying one. The Fillmore West 1971 4cd box set looks enticing, as does this new 50th career spanning Anniversary Box set that's due out at the end of this month. This looks as though it consists of material already released, but as I have nothing post Duane, apart from" Hittin' The Note", it might be worth a punt.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Nappy...you asked about this one recently. The vinyl sounds great...picked it up a couple months ago...smokin hot Promised Land spinning now!

I would highly recommend if it’s not sold out!

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Liking this release more and more after a few listens, really solid versions of everything played. Can't seem to get enough of the Estimated - Eyes on this one, really hits the spot for me.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I just received a refund from dead.net for the July 78 box which is no longer available. I'm glad I got one from ebay just in time. I dont know why dead.net does not use a site that tells us how many units of an item has like most websites do. Everytime a product is purchased it automatically deducts one item from the remaining stock. Mabey marye should let them know.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

In reply to by JimInMD

... I’m really confused . I’m not posting fake posts about anything Grateful Dead or any other band or matter gentlemen. I’m just repeating what the Grateful Dead the band themselves releasing statements / announcements to the public & typical media outlets
The first boxset for 2020, was officially announced this past summer some date I can’t remember recall off the top of my head as I write this post. The boxset includes Un unreleased recording from 1968. The boxset is ‘origins’ and the medium is a vinyl record. You can order here on this website folks. It’s in the music section or special editions in the dead.net Store...
*”” This limited edition 9x15 oversized book comes packaged with an 12” LP of previously unreleased Grateful Dead music as well as three art prints.” The dead and press releases from the band have called, labeled this as true Dead’s first Boxset Of 2020. It’s Book with unreleased music. I dig it. 🙏❤️🌹💀🌹💀🌹💀
Release Date: April 2020no need to make fun of someone if one is confused or doesn’t understand a post. We all have feelings my brothers & sisters, I’m not here to hurt anyone personally, I please ask everyone respect everyon. We are all here for the same reason (s)
The greatest band in the world the Grateful Dead. Peace be with you all, rock on!
I gave Daves Pick #15 for a change.
1978 April On the 22nd in Nashville,TNat the
Municipal Auditorium.
Another PRIMO recording by Betty cantor-Jackson and mastered by the Usual Jeffrey Norman doing another magic trick creating a grateful beauatiful sounding release for the Daves Pick Series. Wow just Wow again for its splendor and repeated enjoyment on more than one listen. Jerry is on his AGame for this performance on guitar as well as Vocally, like Dave L. States I think or in Dicks notes is very much sounds like a 77 Show. I love Donna in this mix ;) another excelent Daves Pick in my taste opinion ...take care folks. 🙏❤️💀🌹👍🏼🌹😎🤠

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by carlo13

Remember what warehouse you are talking about.
That’s way beyond their capabilities.

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

Daverock -

Thanks for the post about the Feb 70 run at the Fillmore. I jumped in the truck this morning about 7:25 with Sirius and TIGDH going and entered right into a monster Lovelight. It was evident right off the bat that the Allmans were on stage and doing their magic. Really love this jam - just brings a new angle to the already great tune.

Never got to the close of the song as my drive ended, so I hustled back this evening and got my ass back in the truck right on time for the evening airing of TIGDH. For those of you who don't listen to this show, Dave always plays music from that day (plus or minus) gives a nice chat about the show, the tour, the music hall, stories about his mom driving him to Hartford, Conn for his first shows, etc. etc. etc. What I didn't realize until today was the 2.13.70 and 2.14.70 shows which made Bear's Choice were on 2 track. Pretty cool that way back in the 70's when Bear's Choice came out it was recorded on the same 2-track that we're getting all these DiP and DaP. I would have assumed the record label guys would have never allowed that back then and would have insisted on multitrack.

Anyway, I was able to listen to almost all of the Dark Star / Lovelight tonight on my drive home (and some driveway time). Love hearing new takes on songs especially when they turn into epic monster jams like 2.11.70.

The different feel / sounds is probably why I immediately loved Garcia Live 12. The female singer (blanking on her name) takes over a bunch of songs and kills it. Yah - I know... many commented she was just screaming just like Donna - but given I like Donna it worked well for me.

Seeing Donna with Dead & Co at Fenway back in summer of '17 (correct me if I'm wrong - maybe '16??) was pretty cool. No she didn't bring too much to the music but cool to she her on stage.

Cheers

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Green Mtn Dead

I think the name on your lips was Sarah Fulcher. I thought she was spot on for my taste. I think the song was on the first cd, the system(?),,, remember when I got though how her vocals were great. I think Tony the Tiger had the same opinion.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I was just browsing through the comments and synchronicity hit me twice: First I am seeing a lot of references to 1985 shows. I am finding myself more and more into shows from that year. Part of it has to do with the fact that many of you not only recommend those shows but many of you also saw shows in that year. I always trust the recommendations from the Jedi Masters on these comment pages. I have griwung a desire to take a deep dive into the archive for 85 shows and I think I may just get that soon. Hey how about 1985 box?

Switching gears I am currently unsupervised - my lovely better half is out of town on business. Given my temporary freedom (if you want to call it that), I am drinking a nice glass of scotch. I saw scotch mentioned in the comments and it is a spirit that I was only introduced to about a year and half ago. No doubt it is pricey- especially when it has been aged for a long time. I recently caught a documentary on Netflix on how scotch is made. The people that make it have such a passion, which is to be expected. Along with emphasizing the whole process, special emphasis is placed on the cask that is used to age it and then the amount if time it is aged. I am fascinated by this as I always associated this with just wine. Well with scotch it is all the rage as some folks may say. Scotch aged 10 years is like basic, 12 years is mid grade and then 14 years is the high end. Of course there varieties aged longer. Price goes up with each as would be imagined. That 14 year aged scotch sits at the $80 price range per bottle as an average from what I have seen. Then are things like the Johnny Walker Blue label (not sure how long that is aged) that goes for $238 a bottle. For me I like 12 years and when i splurge I go with a 14 year. My favorite thus far is Glemorangie. My lovely better half has suggested that we go on a tour of the many distilleries in Scotland that make this stuff. Particularly there is an island that has many of them located on it. I sense good times and shenanigans in my future.

No hard feelings, at the root of my comment was simply that we don't know what box set(s) are yet, they have not been announced. Yet your comment was quite definitive.

The 68 show you speak of (Origins) is four songs from a single show (8/21/68) more like a bonus disc for the book. Not the sort of box set we were expecting to be discussed..

It just seemed like you were getting a bit ahead of your skis.

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis -

Yes that's her name.

Come to think of it this is why I love Great Gig in the Sky! Finally put those puzzle pieces together after all these year.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Just received my Boston Music Hall 12/2/71 set from Amazon UK. So nice to have something new (for me at least) from a year I love.
The performance is quite sloppy, particularly at the start of set 1. But as per usual, the boys get it together. There is nothing exceptional or overly special about this show, I just love hearing stuff for the first time. Only 2/3 through set 1, so I may change my mind. A small number of radio tags (including at least 1 during a song intro).
Not too intrusive, the sound is board, as far as I can tell. A steal at 12 quid(plus shipping-around $24.00 I believe). Keith is right up in the mix, and sounds into it. Still waiting for Farewell Cream box-3/6 I think.
I hope Y'all are enjoying a Tuesday evening, scotch, beer or whatever.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....spirits talk. Absinte was an.......interesting one. A little goes a long way. Careful with that axe Eugene. Ordered my bottle from Germany. This bottle will last a while. Tequila? Stayed off that stuff for a very long time due to it causing black outs and wondering to myself how I got somewhere. Not good. Love margaritas though. You definitely get what you pay for when it come to the agave though. Cheap tastes cheap. Scotch? No thanks. I'm good. Whisky? Can only handle Makers Mark. Vodka? Neutral. Gin? Meh. Rum? Sailor Jerry is my personal fave. Love wine. Red please. In the end I'm i beer guy, but I've been known to dabble.
....."the bottle was dusty".

One of the all time great Hunter/Garcia Americana songs.

I wasn't alive in the 20's, but when I hear those opening notes.. I am there helping cut through the hickory knots with a dull axe, stacking wood to fire the still. Instantly transported in time and space. Isn't that what music is supposed to do?

Raised 8 boys only I turned bad.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

What was I thinking?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....that the other ones had. Truth. My younger sister was mean when she was a kid (she'll even admit it now). Bitch got plenty of lickings. I only remember getiing two. One for shoplifting and one for catching the desert on fire. Believe it or not, deserts will burn.
edit.....i love my sister, but she was a little bitch.

Rings true on many levels with me too.

Mama Tried too. Then there's Jack Straw. The best of the Americana. Did someone mention Cumberland Blues? Must have been the wind.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Always thought 5/11/77 at the St. Paul Civic Center was a little different. It kind has this huge build up with Jerry and Bob. Great stuff 👍. Followed by a very stellar Peggy-O.
Of course there is always the Jack Straw from the 81 CU Events Center Dave's 20. Need I say more.

So we are back to one box set this year?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

There's that Angry Jack Straw from the Carrier Dome that's noteworthy. If you ignore the video and just listen to the music the Jack Straw from Four from the Vault (Oakland 7/24, the video just distracts from the real work).. is great. There's the obvious, 77's and 78's, maybe 12/29/77 stands tall? I think I am in the minority that like versions from 74 over 72, I think they were more developed. Pretty Peggy-O always brightens up the room.

There's a nice Jack Straw from Providence in April 85 (4/4) that's really good, but the recordings on the archive are muddy. ..and as a bonus a rare and great She Belongs to Me. Perhaps the SBD>HiFi Video, SHN 11704 from the archive is best. Jerry's voices is bit too rich but the jam is noteworthy.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

That Dark Star - Lovelight from 2/11/70 is colossal. Peter Green is also on stage adding to the jam. This show would make a good stand alone release if a box isn't on the cards. Unique and powerful.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

https://archive.org/details/gd1989-02-12.124818.AT835.laurentis.flac16/…

Cold Rain & Snow, Hell In A Bucket, Row Jimmy, Beat It On Down The Line, Promised Land, West L.A. Fadeaway, How Long Blues*, Gimme Some Lovin'*

Iko Iko, Monkey & The Engineer, Alabama Getaway, Dire Wolf, Cassidy, Memphis Blues, Drums# > The Other One > Stella Blue > Foolish Heart

Not Fade Away

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

* - w/ Spencer Davis On Guitar & Vocals
# - w/ Kodo's Yoshikazu Fujimoto

Bob Dylan On Guitar & Vocals For Set 2 Except For Drums And The Encores

user picture

Member for

11 years 3 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes pretty much the original line up of the Lost Planet Airmen at The Bowl...Maybe they were on the their second steel player by then.....if your friends saw them in Austin when they played the Armadillo World Headquarters for the recording of "Live From Deep In The Heart of Texas" (1974?) that is truly awesome as the Airmen were definitely firing on all cylinders at that time...Such a great time at all of their shows, saw them a bunch at clubs in LA from late '69 to '75....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Saw him and his Lost Planet Airmen in the late 70's and they were just great.
Late last year Commander Cody and his Western Airmen brought out a live album recorded in 2018 which is remarkably good. In the liner notes he says it is the best album he has made in many years and it turns out he is right. I can recommend it.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

There is a video out with Comander Cody and Jerry Garcia playing at the Sweetwater in Mill Valley, most of you have probably already seen it , but maybe some have not. Sammy Hagar and Elvis Costello are also sitting in. It's worth checking out if you have not seen it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by billy the kid

....one of my personal favorites is 8/27/83. Actually, the whole show is kick ass for an 83. Never ever hear anyone mention this one. You MUST check out at least the Jack Straw!

EDIT: sorry, I should mention, to fully appreciate Phil and why it’s a Boobie Dazzler, you should listen on a real stereo!

https://archive.org/details/gd83-08-27.sennheiser.dodd.12359.sbeok.shnf…

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

..and a rare Deep Elem Blues for good measure.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I saw the Dead do the last Deep Elem on 9/24/83, at the Santa Cruz County Fairgrounds. It was a killer show and hopefully will come out as a Dave's Pick's one day. 1983 was a great year for the Dead. The shows in December at th S.F. Civic Center ( 12/27, 12/28, 12/30) were a hell of a lot of fun and I think they are good enough to be released as a small box set.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html