• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I admit I don’t really know the definitive answer to avoiding customs charges. I’m not really worried about small sums but maybe one way would be to offer a digital alternative. Ok, I like the physical artefact with accompanying artwork etc but with a little thought you could still get a PDF with your downloads which would mitigate the lack of physical product. This way you could offer a limited run for those who want the CDs and keep your international customers happy. Much like they do with the box sets!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by frankparry

I noticed a note stuffed in my letter box this morning telling me I had a parcel at the depot ready for collection on receipt of £11.80. I have just got back, having paid the money and picked up the prize.

£40.00, was it? I haven't bothered to calculate how much I paid in all, but that does seem excessive for a show I already have. Its a great show, as I remember it, and presumably it sounds better than my old bootleg... but still. To pay this much for a show or year I am not so keen on, as means of getting other releases that I do want, seems a bit ridiculous now.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Sadly, there is really very little that can be done about this. "Responsible" companies will always state the true value of an item on the customs declaration. Warner Music and Amazon are examples of this. Smaller enterprises are frequently more flexible. Each country typically has a different limit, above which sales tax and/or import duty is levied. If an item such as a Dave's Pick comes just above that limit, a small charge will be levied. What hurts is the administration charge that is added on and can easily be twice the amount of the tax or duty. Of course the tax or duty that is levied on a box set can be a considerable sum and detracts from the pleasure of receiving such a thing. The only way of avoiding paying these fees is not to order the item in first place, but that is hardly an acceptable option. One simply has to accept the brutal fact that governments are thieves and the situation only gets worse as they become more desperate for income, at the cost of their own citizens. Rant over.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

In response to DaveRock's message, I have not bought a subscription this year; after last year's 'problem', I planned to walk away completely but, after much deliberation, I decided to go a la carte and assess each release on its merits before placing an order.
On that basis, a single CD costs over £40 ,once import duties and Royal Mail charges are added in.
It will no doubt be a bit cheaper if you do have a subscription BUT you may well get hit with the extra charges FOUR times a year whereas I can be more flexible (or I could if I was going to stick around but I think it will be box sets only from now on).
Your savings on the discs with a subscription could therefore be effectively wiped out by the duty ... and that damned handling fee!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Today is the Grateful Dead Marathon hosted by David Gans, on kpfa 94.1 F.M. listener sponsored radio. The marathon runs from 9a.m. to 1a.m.. p.s.t. This is a yearly event and David plays a lot of cool Dead tapes all day long. Phil Lesh used to work at kpfa back in the early sixties and he brought Jerry Garcia in to play some music on there. Anyways, it's a great radio station and a very cool day of Dead music.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

https://youtu.be/LFn3Wkr4QtI

* One of the few songs in the Dead's repertoire that underwent a dramatic rearrangement during its lifetime, similar to Friend Of The Devil and Loose Lucy. In 1973, They Love Each Other appeared in a peppy arrangement, with a very cool bridge. It was then dropped, only to return in 1976 in a much slower arrangement, without the bridge. It was recorded for Jerry's Reflections album." - David Lemieux

...I love this, one of my favorite tunes in the Dead’s cannon ! Rock on & have a grateful weekend everyone, stay warm! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Streaming worldwide! I expect to be dropping by to pick up a painting, about which David will no doubt have things to say...
user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by GervaseFen

A most excellent release! Jerry's guitar is bursting with energy throughout the first set, and the concluding "Let Grow" is a perfect conclusion to the celebration. Incidentally, Bob says on two occasions that he - or they - are "getting their space together", which reminds me of that guy in the Dead Movie who cannot go into the show until he has done the same. Maybe a homage to that guy.

I actually like the second set more, myself. Great Estimated-Eyes, and I like the jams between Eyes and St Stephen labelled "space" on the sleeve, and the rainbow bridge from Stephen to Not Fade Away, which includes a nice drum and bass section.

LMG...I agree with what you say about how "They Love Each Other" underwent a metamorphosis during the retirement years...but a few songs seem to have suffered - or benefitted depending on your taste - from a change of approach from pre to post 1974. On this set alone we have drastically reworked versions of Let it Grow, Good Lovin', Friend of the Devil (which you mentioned), Eyes of the World and St. Stephen. I'm not sure they were improved for the better on the whole...but the Let it Grow and Eyes on this set are superb.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Like others in the UK I have been hit with £3.80 VAT and the associated £8.00 admin charge for DP33 even though it was "posted" in Switzerland (which would normally be exempt). And like others, previous DP's and Road Trips got through unscathed. BTW the postage charge is very reasonable, which helps balance things out.

As Customs seem to be hot on this now - various other imports, that would have gone under the radar, have got caught in recent months - forcing me to change my habits :). Would be better/possible if we just got hit with the charges once for the subscription (it is a one off payment) - and save £32 admin charges. Or look at how Vinyl Me, Please or TMR Vault do things.

Potential VAT and admin charges could seriously bump up the prices of box sets ordered from deadnet too. Which is another factor that has made me a bit more reticent of late.

I was so stoked by Dekalb that I decided to play another show from late 1977 last night, and opted for 12/29/77 - Dicks Picks 10. Stone me, this one's even better. I'm currently spinning the Road Trips Vol 1. No.2, which is a compilation from October 1977. Totally fat free, it has better sound quality than the Dicks Picks. I haven't listened to a late 77 show in a few years... each year I tend to start in April and go through them in order. I'm lucky if I get to June some years...so I just miss a few out and go to 6/9/77, which is another stand out.

I, like many others in the UK, have received an invoice for £11.80 (£3.80 VAT sales tax and £8.00 handling charge) to have DaP33 delivered. This is the first time I remember being charged a fee for a DaP release although I often get charged for the big boxes.
Reason is that the value of the package has been declared at $25 taking it above the UK import exemption limit of £15 whilst previous DaP's have been under-declared with a value of $1.00 and have thus avoided charges.
I have no issue with paying the £3.80 sales tax but the £8 admin/handling fee is extortion (although better than the £12 that DHL/UPS will charge).
I see no reason why Rhino can not charge the sales tax at the point of purchase as happens if I order goods from many other US based outlets such as Amazon and Ebay. At least that way I know exactly what I will pay and not be subject to the rip-off admin/handling fees.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Whenever I purchase from Amazon US, they always state the true value on the customs declaration. They also make it clear that there is the possibility that tax/duty may have to be paid when it reaches my country. If the stated value is above the government determined limit, then I get charged by customs. Nothing to be done about it, unfortunately.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

In reply to by simonrob

If you're paying customs duty on items that you receive from Amazon.com, then you're doing something wrong, Simon. As has been pointed out by several contributors, Amazon.com add the 20% duty to orders that total more than £15, meaning that you pay the duty at source so not only do you receive your order quicker, you also don't pay the Royal Mail's iniquitous £8 handling charge. If only Rhino did the same ....

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Amazon do not add 20% to my orders, so I am not being cheated. I can pay either in US $ or in €. I pay in $ because the exchange rate used by my credit card company is better than that used by Amazon. Here in the Netherlands the limit for paying tax on foreign orders is higher than the miserly £15 that seems to be the rule in the United Kingdom. I am curious to know how Amazon pass on to the UK customs the extra 20% that they appear to levy on UK orders, thereby apparently ensuring that recipients of orders do not have to cough up when an order is delivered.
It seems that Amazon operate a different system for orders to the UK as opposed to orders to the Netherlands and possibly the rest of Europe.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by simonrob

SIMONROB

I don’t often use amazon.com, perhaps once a year buying the latest ‘Supernatural’ blu-Ray boxset but I think they add a little under £6 to the order to cover any import etc charges. If the charge is higher than this then amazon cover it. If no charge is made then the extra charge is refunded. This means all the Royal Mail or other delivery company handling charges are avoided. I have no idea how easy this is to set up.

Personally, I am OK to take the chance and pay up if ‘caught’. I am usually just happy that the item eventually arrives.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

... I have to concur with you as well, I love Dicks Picks #10, a fantastic begining to end release . A very Primo performance of ‘Bird Song’ if I recall correctly! Speaking of Dicks Picks , I recently revisited Dicks Picks #33 & Dick Picks #21. Another two mighty fine Picks in the series! I ‘m enjoying some 71’ today myself. Road Trips 71’ release & Daves Pick series 71’! Loving it all my brothers & sisters. The sun is shing and the weather outside is pretty warm for this time of the year which I’m really grateful for, it’s a plus for me physically ; less pain in this old Deadhead body lol, “I’m still alive & learn to duck”... lol ... rock on & have a grateful week everyone! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹💀🌹

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

You’re being charged to cover the cost of Brexit.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

That's funny.. but wait, it's suddenly not very funny at all.

Still.. it's a little bit funny so long as you don't think about it too much of have to pay it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

...we've got a Trump of our own now!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Well our idiot can out trump your idiot, so there!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

The version that the British recently elected, in their infinite wisdom, is the idiot bastard son of the American version.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

WOW!!! My face got straight melted last weekend! 🤪 DeKalb is now on my list of top 5 favorite shows. Awesome pick!!! Thanks Dave!!!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

LMG...nay lad, there ain't no Bird Song on this set. Its all good, but what really stands out is the Playing in the Band jam that includes China Cat - Rider in the second set. And two encores, the first of which is Terrapin Station. Can't say fairer than that.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

But to be fair, our blokes only been in office a few months. Give it 12 months, and then we will see who the biggest idiot is.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

must be a huge ruler to measure idiotdom that large.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Just got done sorting thru a massive amount of live shows. Since virtually every show that comes across my desk is not label I end up typing a LOT of titles in. A lot of Bluegrass. I have done many, many a merges of other collections and have done many genres. Bluegrass and Rap have a lot in common! For one thing, they love the use of "Intro" and "Outro" for the first and last tracks. Another they both love ridiculously long titles. And they love listing "EVERY" person on every track. You get a country show and every 4 songs and someone new is coming out on stage. "I'd like to bring out now, this darlin of a young woman, who just happens to be part of the Carter family and cared for Doc in his final years...… oh yeah, she plays a meeeaaaaan fiddle" In rap someone always popping also, "now here he is, all the way from Brooklyn, my homeboy.... and I can say that because we ran the streets as kids together.... I think we even had several of the same women,,, maybe at the same time. The other thing that hit me about Bluegrass, is every song without lyrics is an "instrumental". Try and figure out a title of an instrumental. You either know or you don't.

Most of the shows that come to me have been dumped from the archive and usually include a text file of what is on there and where and when it was. If the label god has it in for you, the songs aren't listed in the text file. But these text files also include a lot of talk about the shows, where the tape came, the elaborate lengths they went through to restore the tape. " I took the dat tapes and inputted them to total lossless, non wave files, passing them thru a 5 micron micro filter to shift out all the static, then cross faded the two channels, 3 times to compensate for the compression of the non compressed data. Then and only then did I copy to my iPhone to play." All that fucking work and you couldn't type the titles you miserable prick!

I don't mind really, I'm always amazed at the stuff that has been recorded. The recent batch has recording of Bill Monroe in the 50's in a CAMPGROUND! And the shit didn't sound bad. Bluegrass events can place in some odd places,, at least to a city boy. Campgrounds, farms, barns, churches (all the places the common folk gather,, don't know much about them). Latest batch had some early Elton John,,, odd tours, some Bowie tour, the police, a few other for sure that this old man can't think of. Snag a copy of Bill Graham's memorial concert. On some of the more mainstream shows (bowie, who, police and a lot more). You didn't need more than 1 copy of the tour, all the shows are the same. One of people were doing two shows a day,,, same show, maybe 1 flipped song. Haven't backed up yet, but maybe picked up 5,000 items. I know soon.

Just for curious, yes that is me in that picture. I'm probably 5. If you can see it, on the screen door there is a little dog. When my parents changed the door (25 years later) the old man kept the dog. When they moved he stuck it in the ground by the house. When they died, I took the dog. It's now on my back gate!

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Yes, I’m sorry and thank you about correcting me on the ‘bird Song’ you are correct. I got confused, I’m think of a dicks Picks from 72’ or maybe 71 maybe, I’m leaning towards 72’ I’m going check my notes. In my journal. Have a grateful day my friend💀🌹

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

One of the pluses of sorting so much music is the links you learn. All that bluegrass led me towards "The Bristol Sessions - The Big Band of Country Music 1927-28." A five cd box set of early recordings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_sessions

I've only started the ripping process, but should be nice. And just to go along with my previous statement about bluegrass artist listing everyone,,, here's an example from the current collection.

03 - Ernest V. Stoneman, Miss Irma Frost, Uncle Eck Dunford _ Mountaineer's Courtship.

Seems to say it all,,, Someone name Ernest deems he needs the "V" to separate him from the other Ernest Stoneman. I'd thought "V" would stand for Virgil, but no Van,,,,, nickname "Pop". Did we really need to know Irma WASN'T married? Or that Eck was our(?) Uncle? And who names their kid "Eck"? Someone whos signs with an "X"?

Nice catch Dennis.. sort of the Country Music equivalent of Harry Smith's Anthology of American Folk Music. (which is quite good and contains several GD covers, also recorded mostly in the 1920's). This, by the way, was the very first bootleg.. and worth at least a cursory listen if only for the historical significance, and then there is some really good foundational music from which much of what we listen to today was built upon.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Thought you cost me another 100 bucks there buddy. Looked up that collection and it's going for a C note. Luckily I have it! Whew!

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

I don’t post messages here very often and I am not sure if this is something that has already been kicked around and resolved, but has anybody else in the UK received a request to pay an import duty on Vol.33? Thanks and be kind to all.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 2 months

In reply to by Simon1

Yes, I got hit with VAT, plus the Royal Mail's 'handling charge'. I think its because it came in from Switzerland. I dropped a line to Rhino, but had no reply (yet)

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

In reply to by IanSB

Thank you for that. I shall do the same! At least it’s in the UK, unlike the 2020 calendar I ordered last year. Sadly customer service couldn’t say when I would get it, or whether it would even arrive in 2020!!! I shall post an update, when I have one.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis.. you can't possibly hope to own every decent CD collection ever made.

(pause.. wait for it.. ahhh.. the sound of divorce papers being served) :D

Don't let me get you into trouble with your better half.. repeat, don't let me get you into trouble.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...Grateful Dead - Buffalo 5/9/77 5LP
🙏❤️😎💀🌹

May 9, 1977 – Buffalo Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo, New York
First set:
"Help On the Way" > (Garcia, Hunter)
"Slipknot" > (Garcia, Keith Godchaux, Kreutzmann, Lesh, Weir)
"Franklin's Tower" (Garcia, Hunter)
"Cassidy" (Weir, Barlow)
"Brown-Eyed Women" (Garcia, Hunter)
"Mexicali Blues" (Weir, Barlow)
"Tennessee Jed" (Garcia, Hunter)
"Big River" (Cash)
"Peggy-O" (traditional, arranged by Grateful Dead)
"Sunrise" (Donna Jean Godchaux)
"The Music Never Stopped" (Weir, Barlow)

Second set:
"Bertha" > (Garcia, Hunter)
"Good Lovin'" (Clark, Resnick)
"Ship of Fools" (Garcia, Hunter)
"Estimated Prophet" > (Weir, Barlow)
"The Other One" > (Weir, Kreutzmann)
"Drums" > (Hart, Kreutzmann)
"Not Fade Away" > (Petty, Hardin)
"Comes a Time" > (Garcia, Hunter)
"Sugar Magnolia" (Weir, Hunter)
Encore:
"Uncle John's Band" (Garcia, Hunter)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years

In reply to by IanSB

I also got hit with extra charges and emailed dead@wmgcustomerservice.com to politely ask if this was now to be a regular occurrence as it may influence whether I get a 2021 subscription. They got back to me a day or two later with a nice surprise!

user picture

Member for

12 years 6 months

I have spun DeKalb a few times now and think it nicely complements the earlier releases from November '77. Thank you David!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

In reply to by IanM

Everyone in the UK should really stop acting surprised and borderline outraged that they get hit with a VAT payment on their CDs. I live in the UK and have been buying Dave's Picks from the beginning. To date I've been caught out 3 times (maybe 4) for VAT on a Dave's. The big box sets get picked up more often than not by HMRC (May 1977 made it through) or UPS has pre-collected (30 Trips). (The snafu with Dave's 31 is a whole other kettle of fish).

I used to love checking here in to see when the new CDs were dropping on this side of the pond, but there is far too much moaning about something y'all know can happen but don't accept and think it is the fault of Dead.net, Warner Music, or Rhino!!

It is a gamble that we take being overseas. We all know the HMRC rules are that over £15 combined for the parcel and the shipping and VAT is due and that Royal Mail takes £8 for the privilege of paying on your behalf.

It would be awesome if Dead.net and Rhino would allow us to pre-pay our 20% VAT. But then how many people will start moaning about how unfair it is after all these years they are being taxed on an overseas purchase?

A legit moan is placing an order through Dead.net for multiple items, fully accepting that the VAT will need paying, and balancing out the £8 Royal Mail penalty over the cost of the items...

Only to have the order split into multiple shipments – 1 for each small item – and seeing a new grey card dropping through the letter box every few days for the £4 VAT and additional £8 for Royal Mail!!! The cost-benefit analysis quickly goes out the window.

If you aren't happy paying the man in the UK then complain to BoJo the Clown not the wonderful people that bring us great music a few times a year.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Isn't the better half the side that still works after a stroke?

What was Lou Costello's joke about marriage,,,

What's a bridegroom? It's what's left of the Bachelor after the nerve has been killed off.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Got my copy this morning in my postbox. No additional taxes or fees as usual. Was surprised that they put a value of USD 24.99 (= EUR 23.15) on the costums declaration. Ín Germany not fees or taxes have to be paid under a value of EUR 25.00. Otherwise for CDs percent taxes and additional 3.9 percent Import fees.
Got the Dekalb show since years in my shelf as soundboard with a runing time of total 157 min, the DP Edition runs 175 min. Will sort out the difference later.

And thanks to lmg for the record store day info - this box is a must. Just like Cornell (in my ears a bit overrated) the Buffalo show is a killer.

Last five:
Green Leaf Rustlers - NYE Run 2019 cdr
CSNY - Bill Graham Benefit Vinyl
Neil Young - Zuma Vinyl
Dave Matthews Band - Central Park (with Warren Haynes!!!) cdr
Bob Dylan - Hamburg 1990 Vinyl

Greeting from the cold and stormy Isle Of Fehmarn

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 2 months

In reply to by rattydog_uk

I'm surprised personally because it's the first time I've been hit with VAT and Royal Mail charges for a Dave's Pick release.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 7 months

I've only been caught out once for a Daves Picks but its the risk you take ordering something from abroad.

I still haven't received mine yet so I might give the sorting office a call on Saturday to ask if they've got my copy there waiting for a customs payment, its been 3 weeks now since shipping

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I was expecting 3/1/69, too, and May 1977 seems a very poor substitute by comparison. Its a great show for the period, but I don't think I need it on vinyl having already got it on cd. 1977 Dave's, 1976 box, 1977 vinyl. At least the next Dave's is pre-retirement.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

In reply to by rattydog_uk

Perhaps a little bit more respect is due from those of us in the UK who somehow interpreted my one off post as a moan and a winge. If that’s what people think I was doing and that those responses are ok, I won’t bother posting anything again. For the record, I was just surprised and I’ve been ordering CD’s from the US for over 40 years now. I’ll deal with it and move on.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

A grateful day to you all. Primo Release ! Lol
Road Trips Vol. 3 No. 2--Austin 11-15-71 Is being released by Real Gone Music on March 27th 2020
Road Trips Vol. 3 No. 2--Austin 11-15-71
New release available March 27 2020 from ‘Real gone music’
💀Keith Godchaux's only been with the band a month but already he is fitting in like a glove. This fall 1971 show captures the Dead dancing down their improvisational high wire like only they can. On one side of the precipice are the free form jams of their earlier incarnations. On the other are the country-inflected tunes of American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, both released the preceding year. And no sequence captures the tension between the two quite like the first set's 'Dark Star'/'El Paso' sequence, during which the band improbably (and seamlessly) veers from their spaciest song to their most cowboy cover and back again. A true marvel of a medley. Then, speaking of cowboy, the second set goes full-on boots 'n' spurs (the show is in Austin, after all) for its first half-dozen songs, winding up with a barn burning 'Cumberland Blues.' And then another sublime medley of 'Not Fade Away' segueing into a 'Jam' that toys with the 'China Cat Sunflower' theme, followed by a rip-roarin' 'Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad' and back to 'Not Fade Away.' Blair Jackson's liner notes chart the course. HDCD sound mastered by Jeffrey Norman
Track Listings
Disc: 1
Truckin'
Bertha
Playing in the Band
Deal
Jack Straw
Loser
Beat It On Down the Line
Dark Star
El Paso
Dark Star
Casey Jones
One More Saturday Night
Disc: 2
Me and My Uncle
Ramble On Rose
Mexicali Blues
Brokedown Palace
Me and Bobby McGee
Cumberland Blues
Sugar Magnolia
You Win Again
Not Fade Away
Jam
Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad
Not Fade Away
Johnny B. Goode

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Simon1

I am not suggesting that you were moaning, but as far as I am concerned it is much better to express discontent concerning services from deadnet, if that is what you are feeling, than to express nothing at all. What is less acceptable is to try and decree how other people should be behaving, and to try and establish a uniform way of responding. We don't all see things the same way. Nor should we.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JJ Fehmarn

10-30-77 fits on 2 CD’s.
I wonder if you have that show but it came labeled as 10-29.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Simon1

I am just happy / relieved you guts are getting your music. In a perfect world.. we would all get them at the same time, but perfection seems to elude us.

I didn't take any of the posts made on this thread as is ill-intended. I love seeing new / infrequent posters here, it's a big tent. Freak freely folks.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html