• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

It looks like a race between us on who gets the july 78 box first. Or mabey not at all. But let's think positive. Who ever loses gives the winner a comment of "you are the master" on this board. Sound goooood??

user picture

Member for

12 years 4 months

So I ordered the subscription back on 10/29/19....I received an email confirmation of my order, my credit card was charged, and has long since been paid in full.

Flash forward to today:
Current order status: Processing
Shipping status: Not shipped
And no shipping notice received

How can it be this hard to ship a CD? And for the record, the money collection part of the process seems to work just flawlessly. Wtf....

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

I wouldn't be as concerned yet. I'm of course speaking from the perspective of someone who has received. But this is by far the earliest I've gotten a Pick, and I've subscribed since year 2. No shipping notice on the extra I bought when I saw it was still onsale the other day. They have not had a great track record lately, but it is normal at this point for there not to be a notice yet. I suspect some people will not get a notice or will receive it after receiving their shipment.

The box set stuff and missing DaP 32s is a shame. My DaP 30 arrived soon after another nudging email sometime in December. Luckily a friend had hooked me up with flacs, and I renamed and reordered it into Early and Late shows each night, so I had the music, just not the physical product that my obsession demands. (Obsession that is tameable enough that it does not yield to shelling out 400 bucks a pop for Dave's 1-4 until I win the lottery, or a Pick 4 playing 5877.) Anyway, I hate that Giants and July 78 boxes aren't getting where they're supposed to be. But don't fret about Dave's 33rd just yet. It may just surprise you on your porch in an oddly marked box.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Got mine yesterday.

Even though it's not sold out yet, it probably will. I think raising the numbers released is good that more people will be able to get one. Saturation point? I don't know about that. Perhaps.

I think volume 34 will sell out fast. That's a monster show there. An 80s and or a 90s follow-up would be most welcomed.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

https://archive.org/details/gd1987-01-28.nak100.koucky.gmb.79466.sbeok…

Set 1

Shakedown Street
Get Back
Peggy-O
Walkin' Blues
It Must Have Been The Roses
It's All Over Now
Row Jimmy
My Brother Esau
Bird Song
Jack Straw

Set 2

When Push Comes To Shove ->
Samson And Delilah
Black Muddy River
He's Gone ->
Spoonful ->
Drums ->
Space ->
Eyes Of The World ->
Black Peter ->
Around And Around ->
Sugar Magnolia

Encore
U.S. Blues

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Make no mistakes, I do prefer 1970's releases to 1980' and 90's but another 1977 release didn't sounded that interesting. Maybe that's why there are still copies left for non-subscribers?

I'll bet a 3-CD made up of bits and pieces from about Fall 1966 to about Spring 1968 would sell out much faster. ;-)

Best regards,
Micke Östlund
Växjö, Sweden

user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

I'm wondering if it's the increase to 22,000 units that has made this slow or is it just because the show has had a good soundboard recording available for years. I think the same thing might happen with the next show as I own a bootleg soundboard CD of the 6/23/74 show already. Getting an official Dave's Picks is nice, but it isn't as nice as a show I haven't been able to obtain a soundboard recording on before.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

4-23-77,

there are a few left from May that are good, too.

How about 10-15? 10-2? :-)

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

...is just fine with me, can't think of when I've put on a DaP or DP from '77 or any of the '77 box sets and been disappointed. Of course, I'm pretty easy to please and ultimately I want it all (the world and everything in it;). Looking forward to this arriving. I've been on an outlaw country kick for my listening lately but I'm about ready to dive back into some dead again soon. I did listen to a little of 2/27/69 this evening, just the start of Good Morning Little Schoolgirl in the car while running some errands, but it was sounding really good. Sometimes those FW '69 shows are what gets me back to listening to the dead after a little break. But now I'm just rambling...

Dead Mike....spot on. 1966-1968 would be most refreshing. Its not that 1977 shows aren't good, just that we have had so many of them, and literally none in Daves Picks from 1966-Spring 1968, or up to Spring 1969, for that matter. Strange, considering this was arguably the most exciting and revolutionary period.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by daverock

So what you’re saying is you don’t really want those Winterland Boxes from March and December 77?

I was looking forward to them.

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

In reply to by carlo13

Well what do you know , back to work today after a long weekend to be greeted with an email from dead.net saying that they are not able to ship the item as it’s out of stock 😾😾😾😾 no mention of a refund though 🤔

user picture

Member for

5 years 10 months

In reply to by perithecat

I stand corrected , the refund has come in .
😸😸😸

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by perithecat

12,351 arrived last night and I was able to listen to the first set. Man, these guys are good
Big thank you to the guys at ABCD LLC group that worked so hard to get these reels back to the Dead for no profit. Much more to come from this stash as well.
Sound quality so far is A+, no muffled lyrics.
Definitely a different feel so far than the Binghamton show, that I love and the Colgate show, that is good.
Soundboards pulled from Achrive.org do not come close to the mastering work done for all these official releases. It is great to have them, but there is no comparison.

I would definitely recommend this show for those who are on the fence. Never thought I would have to recommend a 77 show. This is all gravy to me gents.
Just think how far we have come.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

https://archive.org/details/gd1987-01-29.nak100.koucky.gmb.79467.sbeok…

Set 1

Funiculi Funicula
Tico Tico Tuning
Hell In A Bucket ->
Sugaree
El Paso
Loser
Little Red Rooster
Brown Eyed Women
Cassidy
Don't Ease Me In

Set 2

Scarlet Begonias ->
Fire On The Mountain
Looks Like Rain
Terrapin Station ->
Drums ->
I Need A Miracle ->
Stella Blue ->
Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad ->
Johnny B. Goode

Encore
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

A box set with the complete recordings of the Dead from the Fillmore East and the Fillmore West. Yes!!!

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

received, should have it by Monday 2-3-2020. No complaints here, well, I have a lot of complaints, but none directed at this bunch of pranksters :)
Last five:
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum dedicated to Bear
Budgie - In for the Kill
Bloodrock - Bloodrock 1st lp
Cactus - One way or another
Free - Fire and Water
Jimi Hendrix - Cry of Love

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

The set lists look so great! (The one and only "Get Back"!) However, these shows are a great example of how we can never judge a show on paper. They are pretty atrocious... Boreal Ridge bad. The one and only "Get Back" is for a reason.

I believe that Bobby had to put Otis down just before these shows, and he was visibly an emotional wreck up on stage. I can understand. I am a life-long pet person, and I have had to put down a few myself, and recently just accompanied my best friend to be with her when she put her cat to sleep. I couldn't imagine doing a show in front of thousands of people in that condition...

The same is true about the set list/show in the opposite direction. Many of the fabulous Fall/Winter 79 shows don't look like much on paper, but boy-howdy are they smokers!!!

Goes to show, you don't ever know - I guess we've just got to listen.

Got my shipping notice at 3:58 EST this morning. Now, if I could only get that tracking link to work... :)

Peace

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Just got mine... says Monday but my experience with their tracking is that it usually arrives a day earlier. Saturday would be just exactly perfect!

Finally received the black and gray bolt hat and Ready or Not vinyl that I ordered back in October.

My guess is that with all of the talk here of tunneling, they have spent the last 6 months or so reinforcing the the 4 ft thick steel walls that surround both the vault and the warehouse. Now that it’s done, things will get back to normal. Can’t blame them as we haven’t kept our plans very secret. When we do finally break through to the walls we will have our work cut out for us.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 2 months

No shipping notice, no surprises in the mailbox and my subscription order still says pending - feels like looking in the empty mailbox for my SASE when everyone else already got theirs

user picture

Member for

10 years 7 months

Shipping notice received today! ETA Monday. Whoo hoo! Now to wait and see...

user picture

Member for

10 years

Unkle Sam's avatar reminded me: where are the Robert Hunter solo shows? Does his wife hold the rights -- and the tapes? Has anyone heard anything about contemplated releases?

Caught an epic Hunter show at the Rainbow in Denver around 1980. Simply amazing delivery of long, strange song cycles. We were tripping pretty hard and my girlfriend freaks out: "I've got to leave!" I turned to her -- she clearly expected me to react, probably to take her home -- and I looked into her eyes with complete love and sincerity.

"Good luck" I said. And turned back to Mr. Hunter.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

This one will always have a special place in my heart, even though I was only 4 years old when it was performed. I went to law school (not the best decision I ever made) at NIU, and saw a few (obviously non-Dead) shows at the Evans Field House. I was in my 3rd year of school on the 20th anniversary of this show, when I was just starting to take my first tentative steps up onto the bus. I've been on ever since, and in fact still live about 20 minutes down the road from DeKalb. That they played such an amazing show at a podunk college town that is near and dear to me is a small source of pride.

Oh yeah, and I received my shipping notification today, which was a great relief. Be patient and have faith, everyone!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by unkle sam

And thumbs up from me for mentioning Budgie. The meaning of life is I'm In for the Kill-indeed. Dig these -

The Baggy Rehearsals cd1 Jimi Hendrix
Cutting Edge 1965-1966 cd1 Bob Dylan
The Early Years Status Quo
Mr Fantasy mono Traffic
Piper At The Gates of Dawn mono Pink Floyd

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by daverock

Got shipping notice...

Robert Hunter shows: recently saw some on Relisten

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

how'd she take that?

"Good luck"

lol

why do women (ok, some women) always want to leave shows?

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Really good Help>Slipknot>Drums>Other One>Wharf Rat>Slipknot>Franklins Tower sandwich on this weeks Tapers Section in case you missed it!!! Glad everyone is getting their shipping notices!!! bob t

P.S. the Franklin's clocks in at almost 20 minutes!!!!

Many of my older DH friends that were at that show say it was perhaps the best they ever saw. Even better than Rochester 77, which they also consider a top show pick. If I’d only been a couple years older....

EDIT: I was at the next “tapers” selection 9/26/81..

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

notice today...arrival Monday...no complaints...I've received product way early previously...been a subscriber for four years...and it's not like I don't have various masters of this show on CD-R that I've acquired through the years

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

it came UPS. No USPS handoff. Shipping notice came today. Excellent show

Can you please reveal the copy number that you have i.e., 00001/22000.

I got a shipping notice for my 2020 subscription copy on 01/29/20. I'm awaiting a shipping notice on the ala carte order. I would not be surprised that I'd get the item first then a no longer useful shipping notice.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

#6256 delivered yesterday

user picture

Member for

10 years

Meaning, when I said, sincerely, "Good luck!" she settled down and took refuge in the music, which is my standard advice whilst tripping hard...

Actually, the backstory: we're standing in line for the show, coming on to the acid, when a guy next to us has an epileptic fit, collapsing on the ground. So my male buddy and I put a jacket under his head, made sure his tongue wasn't in his throat and reassured him while someone banged on the theater door to get help. (Pre-cell phone, those were the days!)

Paramedics arrived quickly and treated him, possibly hauling him off, I don't clearly remember. My girlfriend was, at that time, in a college group devoted to first responders; she later became a professional psychologist. She just wasn't ready for the real thing. So I think the acid plus epileptic fit kinda spooked her. Just another GD-related show for us; the circus was in town, etc.

AND THERE WAS NO EFFIN' CHANCE I WOULD OR EVEN COULD LEAVE THE THEATER!! We had about third row center and it was just Hunter, his guitar, harmonicas and neck rack, a small table with an ashtray and vase of flowers and his long stemmed cigarette holder ala Hunter Thompson (whom I also encountered, that's yet another story).

I believe that was the show where a woman brushed past us to get to her seat and dropped a piece of paper in my lap with her phone # on it -- the first and last time that ever happened. My girlfriend did ask what it was about and I said, "Oh, nothing..."

To sum up, two opportunities for "trouble ahead, trouble behind," and I skated!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I wonder what should be the proper punishment for anybody who complains that they did not get a chance to buy ala Carte Dap 33? The rack, guillotine, thumb screws or force them to listen to the dave Matthews band. Finally got my dap announcement today. Yeah.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

That’s quite the story, brings back both kinds of memories, lol. Especially “hey, Im just trying to ‘be’ right now, so a, sorry......”
You especially jump started one in I believe Philly? Bunch of us at the red roof after a show, most hanging with Lee when all of a sudden fucking tasty cakes starts flopping around on the floor and sorta foaming at the mouth....”not cool Kyle”......yeah, talk about a mood changer. Luckily his buddies knew this could happen and how to handle etc cause most of the rest of us were by now having a hard time “living the good life”....phhhew, that was an intense/weird situation. Fortunately ol TC AND the rest of us eventually were ok, lol Hadn’t thought of that in decades. It’s funny how certain slight associations can trigger such memories.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by carlo13

I take it there are no bonus tracks? 😁

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by deadtony

....i had one in the parking lot at Irvine Meadows in '89. My fault though. Was doing nitrous while standing. Lesson well learned. Fell straight back like a sequoia and CRACKED my skull. Not a really good time, but I was young and dumb.

Check your PM.

Carlo- off with their heads. Don't worry. There will still be complaining.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Shipping confirmation received. This little beauty is on its way to the Netherlands. Should arrive in about two weeks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

No hidden/bonus tracks

I got one myself, here in England, this morning.

Talking of 1976, 9/25/76, otherwise known as Dicks Picks 20 (the first half thereof) is a good show for the era. Its the night after the show released as Dave's Picks 4, and much better, to my way of listening.

It might sound perverse, but I am not keen on bonus tracks. Especially when there is no indication on the cover as to which show it comes from. Quite annoying, having an unexpected and unidentified wodge of music thrust at me out of context.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Thanks everyone, Blue Cheer was a go to record back in the day when it was first released, I remember first hearing it and asking my trip buddy, "who is this owsley guy" found out he had a hand in making the acid we were doing, coincidence?
Budgie was a band I had never heard of then one nite while we were tripping the light fantastic, a friend put on In for the Kill, wow, then Zoom Club came on and that was it, a fan ever since. Daverock, we must be twin sons from different mothers, your recent listening list is quite formidable and one I can see myself digging right in to, that Pink Floyd mono is off the charts, I have a copy, sounds so good for mono and anything Hendrix is top notch in my book.
Why do chicks always want to leave when things get "weird", don't know, but sometimes its a good thing, I was at a rock concert back in 79' lots of acts, Mahogany Rush, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent , Cheap Trick, some others too and the lady I was with had done too many Quaalude's, she looks at me after several stumbles and falls and says "Take me Home, now". I was tripping pretty hard and said "gladly" got her out of there, took her home and came back and caught the rest of the show, great show with Steven Tyler so high, he fell off the stage, bounced once and got right back up and didn't miss a lyric. When I returned, everyone clapped and applauded her absence. She was a hottie but when she did ludes, she was a pain in the ass and prone to mega-drama.
My seizure story is about the time we were all at a Mcdonald's and in line to get some munchies, we had just received some killer Columbian Red Bud and it was exceptional, we all looked like a bunch of burnouts and then, one of the guys just fell over and started squirming all over the floor, right there in line, trying to do the right thing, we tried to help, but had no idea what to do. He had never had a seizure before and after coming out of it said "man, that's some killer weed". $400.00 a lb, $40.00 oz's, those were the days indeed. (1976 if I remember right)

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html