• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

First off- Dave Picks #29-31 ALL have some nice filler on one of the disc in addition to the full show of each release....Dave Pick #32 does not have filler, and my guess would be simply that it doesn't need it. That show from 1973 is stellar, with extremely long setlists.

With that said- I just find it hard to believe that disc-2 of Dave Pick #33 does not have filler(hidden or not)?!?! I mean it is a full disc for exactly 3 songs, none of the songs are out there or real Jammy….again one is Good Lovin'(happens to be the Dead song I like the least behind Mexacali Blues). We can only hope that he has a big surprise for Dave Pick #35, hopefully it is 7/13/84 with 7/14/84 for filler....

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I think its kind of funny how each Dap concert gets tons of positive or negative reviews but can you imagine if we were all transported to that very concert at this very time at the start of the first set. Then after the show in the parking lot I believe there would be a very different conversation going on while drinking a warm beer and some eats. I think when we were all young there was a brain filter that prevented us from looking to close at the things that really dont matter. If that makes sense.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Wife out of town for the weekend. Dropped her off at the airport this morning and then hit one of my favorite local record stores. Looking through the garage/psyche section and there it was a new copy of Blue Cheer Vincebus Eruptum in Mono...labeled Ground Zero Of The Metal Explosion. Had to grab it!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

Carlo; it’s funny you bring up after the shows.....many times it would be the usual suspects, who were all pretty familiar with each other and our song/show likes/dislikes, and often we’d all be on a mostly similar plane, but just as often, if there were five of us in the car, damn if we’d wouldn’t have 5 different opinions lol. And being hardcore dead freaks, that meant the conversation could get fairly heated....that’s one of the things I miss most; arguing about the shows afterward. Nothing like a dead head with a strong opinion! 😉

MEXICALI; like take Mexicali, personally I always liked that one. And unlike many of those Bob cowboy songs and endless repeats that I’ve gotten burnt on over the years, I still don’t mind that one. But I’ve noticed that many folks here don’t like it or are burnt on it....too funny!

Deadvikes 3/27/88; I think Jim was there, me too, Schroomin in front of the SB. I recall that one blew me away. That second set was smoking! Both of us have commented that like others, the release does not do that show justice. I’m certainly glad I have it, and can enjoy it, but this one and Dicks Six Just don’t capture the full essence of how good these shows were live. Not sure about Jim, but I think the recording is partially to blame....As far as the “Hallowed halls of Hampton” I’d figure more 89, but when I first read that I took it to mean the venue over all the years combined etc. They played so many great shows, firsts, or first returns over the years, and there was just something about the place? Besides the layout, it was always GA for the 10 shows we caught there, the sound was decent as far as those types of venues go, and they just seemed to usually play well. Of course the whole 89 Warlocks vibes took it to legendary status if it wasn’t already. Probably my favorite indoor venue?
Sorry about the Viks, I thought they had a shot there at the beginning, but both Conference Champs look really tough. Hopefully it will be a good game?

WODGE; what a great word. The English have so many great words! As far as wodges go, I’ll take a big Wodge of Black Hash por favor!

DAVES ETA; tracking said it left Denver yesterday about 1:30....normally, it’s a 2 and a half hour drive, so should get it tomorrow, but bet I won’t...(no home delivery in the boonies) bastards used to drop em in a locker so we could pick up anytime, but they’ve been making us go to the counter last couple of releases and they can sometimes take days just to process etc. So I’m trying to not get my hopes up, but it would be nice to blast that puppy over the weekend...
Hope all y’all get to enjoy it this weekend.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

I'm pretty glad they didn't disrupt the sequence of the show with a bunch of "bonus" tracks or filler spliced into disc 2. I don't mind extra tracks at the end of a show, but it annoys me to no end when there are "bonus" tracks spliced into the middle of the show, that's not really a bonus at all from my point of view.

As soon as I had a computer with audio processing software and a burner I fixed 5-6-81.
Listened to it last week in the car in fact. Still an excellent show, and so much better without that wodge of music, although that is a good wodge.

Keep in mind that the English may have invented a language, but the U.S. made it user friendly.
Can you imagine if the 13th Floor Elevators were called the 13th Floor Lifts? Just doesn’t sound like a good band name.

10-29-77 in the house and spinning! Sounds Grate and is more Philing.

What’s worse?
An overlap transition between discs or a wodge of filler?

Considering that a lot of people put the music on music players, not on cassettes, an overlap transition is extremely outdated.
Even listening to CDs a clean cut still sounds better.
Charlie Miller understands this, why don’t the people with the keys to the Vault understand it?

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Count me in for filler all the way. And count me in as feeling faked out on that long outro to Friend of the Devil and the false start of Estimated, despite having peaked at the disc to see whether it was full or not. I get not wanting it to interrupt the flow, but a 25 min disc is just about a waste. And that last chunk of 11/2 is now extremely unlikely to come out, which is okay, but a missed opportunity.

Also, and not trying to be a killjoy, especially since not everybody has this yet, but I thought it peaked in the first set. Estimated has a nice grooving jam before the abrupt shift to Eyes, which has great pace, but I found myself annoyed at Mickey's toms. I'm a big Eyes fan, and prefer '73-'74, and dig a lot of those 15 min ones from '76 where they jammed it for a good while before entering the first verse, but afterward, they're very hit or miss for me. And I think this version crystalizes why that is: Mickey stops them from swinging. It feels like they still want to swing the beat, but Mickey is pounding those toms very forcefully and very straight ahead. Listening this afternoon I was thinking of May '77 Sugar Magnolias where it feels like they're fighting the groove. Ironically listening to this show's Sugar Mag closer, this one was more open to the groove, and not a battle between the drummers.

Overall, a fantastic sounding Pick, and the first set is tremendous, which I admit was mostly new to me. Have had the show for years, but usually listened to set 2, which never really blew me away, but it's definitely a good one. A worthy Pick, a better overall show than DaP 25 11/6/77 to me, and maybe not quite the release as DaP 12 11/4/77 with 11/2 filler. But the sound quality surpasses most of the Picks. Betty captured Keith at a decent volume, good mix of guitars and vocals, bass is thunderous, and drums sound good, if a little too hot perhaps. Again, not trying to harsh anyone's buzz over this one, and if this is a humdinger to you, I'm glad for it. I will listen to the first set quite a bit more than other ones I believe. Hoping this place lights up with everyone getting their copy and posting their thoughts this weekend!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 11 months

While fully respecting the opinion of no filler, I’ll never understand it. It’s more music, and I will always choose more (like we have a choice here). I’m already trying to think of an appropriate piece of music to wodge onto a burned copy of disc two (that second set jam sequence from 1/30/78 is about 60 minutes). Because an 80 minute disc with 25 minutes of music is 55 minutes of lost opportunity. But I get it- don’t want to interrupt the flow of a show, they don’t want to give us 50 minutes of a show that might be released in it’s entirety down the line. Anyways, just a ramble..point is, I’ll definitely come up with some killer filler for disc 2, even if it was decided there shouldn’t be.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

We want Dave's picks pure. Not to much filler. To much of that sort of thing is undesirable. I could not resist.

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Remember this pick had 4 songs on 2nd disk for a total of 28 minutes.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

It was with great sadness that I read this morning, in this month's Record Collector, that Duncan Sanderson, bassist and founder member of the Pink Fairies died on November 20th last year. One of the great underground bands in Britain circa 1970-1973. Their legacy lives on in the vibe, and on one single - "The Snake/Do It!" that is one of the best singles of all time. Including offerings by Hendrix, The Stones etc.
To be fair, all three of their albums from that timespan are patchy - but that single - both sides - is a monster, and its worth buying the recently released cheap as chips box just to hear them.
Another good 'un is the live, raw as it gets, compilation "Mandies and Mescaline At Uncle Harry's". The title of which could have been their business plan.

As I've said before, one of the few times I actually saw the Dead I left early as my girlfriend didn't like it. In her case, I have often thought it was because she wasn't tripping. Nor never had.
Another thing with girls...they always used to scratch your albums.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Just checked shipping and delivery date has been updated from Monday to today. Going to be a Dead workday!

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

This one arrived yesterday, further proof that the pudding of tea leaves (aka shipment notices) are rarely, if ever spot-on seeing as how it told me last Monday it wouldn't arrive until tomorrow..... No complaints here though.

I took this show around the block yesterday, turning it up to 11. The first thing that grabbed me, despite having heard this one many times before, is just how close to that proverbial edge they are playing....its a different sound than Spring '77; it has that slight tinge of what's coming in '78 - it's gotta be Jerry's tone on his guitar. But to my ears it just sounds like they are pushing the limits on most songs where you get that sound of it riding the edge and could topple over the cliff at any moment. The mix & sound is, as always, impeccable within tons of low-end Phil.

I'm an Eyes of the World junkie, and I know I've mentioned this one already but I was paying strict attention during Jerry's intro - he plays this utterly sweet, sort of gently probing wodge of notes beginning right at the 1:30 mark - it's only a brief moment, but it encapsulates the very feeling of this Eyes right there in that moment. All opinion of course, but that same moment has caught my attention and ears for the decades that I have had this release in lesser quality. Also, that St. Stephen and Sugar Mag are fairly barn-burning affairs, which I hadn't recalled (although I do note that in my original version of this show there were some (seamless) edits in St. Stephen as well as Sugar Mag, so it's great to hear it all in tact). The entire show is a worthy affair for sure.

Hope Others are also enjoying and that those lying in wait have a short one before it lands.

Happy Friday Deadfreaks.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

y'all live in Europe, correct?

and then the GD finally get there

"I wanna leave"

yes dear

even I "had" (wuss alert) to leave Robert Hunter show 10/31/86 because my beloved didn't like it/was bored or something.

she wanted to leave The Dead back in...09, was it?

its like people who talk loudly throughout the show.

you paid for the tix, you waited months, you invested time and energy in it..."I wanna leave", or "HAVE YOU SEEN BRIAN? YOU KNOW, I SAW THE DEAD AT SHORELINE AND THEY PLAYED ME AND MY UNCLE"

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

Cool you were at that show in 1988 and all the others. One of these days, I will post the notes from Dave L. on this show.
We certainly have not had too many 87 or 88 releases, would love to see more. A lot of good shows in the late 80s.

Hope the Chiefs can bring home the trophy this weekend. Last super bowl for the Chiefs, 1969, over yes the Vikings. Go Chiefs!

user picture

Member for

10 years

A big wodge, due by "end of day"......

The great thing about these vault tapes is ......... that if the woman needs to leave, she can drive herself home.

"Hon, do you have a wodge lodged somewhere??"

Instead of "word" it's now "wodge." Is this a great forum or what?

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by P Hill

...I am intrigued, based on the reviews on the archive.

'94 gets a bad rap, man. I like the mix-up in the setlist and it sounds like a few tunes were true home runs. I will listen at my next opportunity - thx for the offering.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

My Wodge has arrived and is ripping now...number 15,738. One good thing about no filler is that the second disc rips very quickly...

Just about ready to rock!

Does anyone have the link to the artwork?...I remember someone posting but I didn’t save it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

Stoltzfus - I prefer to think of myself as a sensitive guy, rather than a wuss. Its not true, but I prefer to think of myself that way.
On the way out of Wembley after the first set, I passed a guy outside who asked me if I had a spare ticket - so I gave him mine. So all was not lost.

Incidentally, that's quite a poignant question, asking me if I live in Europe. I do, but only just. This is actually my last day in Europe, as Britain are leaving at midnight tonight. My neighbour, who has never heard of the Dead (or the Pink Fairies-I can tell just by looking at her), thinks this is a good thing.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Here's the link to the excellent scan that Copperdome did and posted earlier (1/25).
https://i.imgur.com/8ztm2Wr.jpg

I think the torch has passed – I used to rush to cobble together cover art from scans of the CD's & post them here , but CopperDomeBodhi's quicker (no Mail "Innovations" for him?) and his corrections are smoother. Nice! Now, if my Dave's will just show up! . . . Onward.

I was there.
Jerry’s bday and there was a huge happy bday banner to sign in the parking lot before the show, then they brought it inside, and may have hung it from the upper level. I think that the crowd also sang happy bday.

The Jam (all band members onstage) between Space and Watchtower was pretty cool.

I’ve had a SBD of Set 2 for years but never saw a SBD of Set 1 in circulation.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

TDIGDH - "Molly Dee" rehearsals - 1983

I have never heard of this tune until today, but it is a Robert Hunter penned song that the Dead never adopted (though it seems from reading the comments on the archive that it has been performed by Hunter and Mickey...)

Anyway, this is just a bunch of tracks of the boys rehearsing this bubbly, bouncing little tune, and damn is it catchy! You also get to hear some studio chatter, which I always enjoy. Makes for cool background music. The first two tracks are the best, but poking around is fun too!

The lyrics that Hunter wrote are posted in the comments on LMA.

https://archive.org/details/gd83-01-31.sbd.miller.21265.sbeok.shnf/gd83…

Happy Friday, DeadLand! May your football team be victorious - mine was not :o(

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Would love to see the notes. 87/88 was a transitional year for me as well as the band. After the big guy went down we were stoked for 87 spring tour, and though it was awesome to see him/them (the energy was nuts), it started to become apparent that musically things were different....the go for it “riding the luge” energy was gone, and thus imho they weren’t going for it or jamming as much. Instead, they were tighter and more relaxed/polished then the previous few years. Some folks like that better, which is cool, I didn’t. Like I’ve said, I like my Dead loose and dirty...
At first we were just ecstatic that they were back still at it! But as time progressed, this became a problem for me. We went to Hampton, Harshford, Philly, and had tix for Woooooster, but sold em for various reasons, but mostly because we just weren’t felling it, something was missing? Summer was Alpine, Wonderland, Crotchfester, and Fox borough, with more of the same, while at the same time the crowds/vibe was changing. Alpine was a shit show (I believe that was when the modified the hill/lawn area to sell more tix?) Don’t get me wrong, I still had a great time and there were great moments and hey, it’s still the Grateful gull dang fuggin Dead. But I had been a eat, sleep, shit DH for over 10 years at that point and was starting to feel like the cost/benefit ratio of going all over the place, and the compromises, was starting to slip a bit. That combined with the venues named for the fall tour had me for the first time not wanting to go...(never went to the big city shows for various reasons).
So by spring 88 we were itching to check things out and see if anything had changed? So Hampton, and specifically that 3/27/88 show was a nice surprise, like a homecoming of sorts. Things progressed nicely through summer, though still a little white bread for this freak. Fall saw one random serendipitous Rectum show on 9/8/88 which was nice, then we did the Florida shows in October. Don’t recall the shows being all that, but boy it sure was fun down there, many good stories etc. Years later I got to hear the Miami show and it’s pretty good, better than I recalled. The St Pete’s shows I’ve only heard one set so far but it didn’t change my opinion.....sorry to ramble, the point is there was a musical progression going on, along with the eventual settling of the scene after all the hoopla of 87, that finally seemed to coalesce nicely as we rolled into 89....
Funny thing as many here have discussed over the years, but listening back now, I like 87 much more now then at the time. It reminds me of 77 in many ways; tight, precise, lots of new tunes, but lacking the huge jams I love so much, and the daredevil seat of the pants edge that sometimes led to the X factor, and other times train wrecks..
But it’s all GOGD to me!

69 Vikes: I was way into the Vikes back then as a wee lad, especially loved Alan Page! I was so into them I got the Chefs/Viks electric football game for Xmass! Was crushed when they lost.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Was one of only 3 we saw that year, but definetly the best one. Cool set list and definitely some great moments, but to me, buy then, that’s all there were moments. Have to qualify that with the fact that I only saw 7 shows the last 3 years, and of course the recordings of other shows are proof that they still could play some good shows, just not as consistently....
My recollection was that Vermont kinda sucked, the first night in Detroit was good and Jers Bday was even better.
Thanks for the link, I’ll have to give that one a listen...been going through and trying to hear all the shows i was at but never heard recordings of. I’m up to spring 87 so far...

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

Check out the Uptown Theatre 1/31/78 show.... First Scarlet>Fire in 13 shows!!! Or check out the night before for the Eyes of the World>Stella Blue>Franklin's Tower run.... The week off of intense touring helped Jerry's laryngitis!! Have a good weekend everyone.. bob t

Edit: Well my Dekalb show wasn't suppose to be here until Monday, I checked the shipping status that it had arrived at the town's post office via UPS a few hours ago and was supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Just went to post office and picked it up..

About the only East Coast show I missed that summer. Figures. For the rest, I remember more the surrounding experience of being at them rather than the actual music. But Jerry's tone on Bolt was incredible, like he was shooting pinpoints of light wherever he so desired.

One '94 show I do remember though, like it was yesterday, was March 21, Richfield. During the second set it felt like I was in a small theater for 700 rather than an arena of 20000. They closed the circuit that night!

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by FiveBranch

$53.30 in fees for Roger Waters.
WTF?!

I haven’t seen a concert since D&C in Nov. 2017, so I dropped the coin for Waters and got a floor seat by the SBD.
Could be his last tour?

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

No intention of implying that you were...maybe I'm overthinking this, or being defensive, or something.

You rock, Daverock.

UK leaves EU...WTF.

this world is truly bonkers.

oh, and fuck Ticketmaster.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Garage cleaning tomorrow, sooooo.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

Jerry with that Wolf and it sounds like he is here in my living room playing just for me. Sounds wonderful nice job David and co.

user picture

Member for

7 years 7 months

Landed today in Michigan. Stay tuned for further developments about this breaking story.

No, its me-all is good with you, and on here generally. And with a hot Dead show on the way, too.

It feels like a sad day in England though. Leaving the EU reminds me a bit like feelings I have had when friends have got divorced. Whether its the right thing or not depends on how you look at it, but it does seem to suggest the breakdown of a relationship, something that was embarked on with hope, and is subsequently abandoned as not having worked out. I always used to hate breaking up with girlfriends.

Hope these comments don't cause offence - I feel no enmity towards people whatever there view is on this subject. Anyway - apologies in advance.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

I have every officially licensed 77 show and a few old Betty boards of others from when they were out on the internet archives years ago. This one is hitting me with an energy that (at least 6 songs in) puts it in my top 5 for 1977. And kudos once again for the sound...plenty of bass, good balance all around and a masterful "live mixing" performance by the one and only Betty CJ. If you haven't bought this one yet do it now...a lot of the other 77 shows are going for 60-100 bucks or more on eBay.

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

I know this has never ever been said on here before, about other releases. Just got done listening to Dave's 33 show from 10/29/77, and somehow Disc 3 is really really good. I am going to listen to other releases to see if this theory holds true!!! Beers and sarcasm!! Have fun and hope your wait is short.... bob t

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 1 month

It is official, I have received DP33 before my DP32. I don't know what is happening with this "new warehouse" situation but it is frustrating. I paid for DP32 over a year ago, more like 15 months ago or so.... come on now guys. And no reasonable response from a human from the emails I have sent.

Please help!

user picture

Member for

4 years 1 month

well, i registered here just to tell ya that i got the shipping notification and i'm really happy about it, since it's my first DaP i successfully pre-ordered.

haven't heard this show yet but judging from the comments from archive.org, it's gotta be good.

hello! nice to meet ya!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Please may all y'all get yours
In a timely manner

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Welcome to our humble home. Are you just getting on the bus? Lots of fun here.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

In reply to by carlo13

Pleasantly surprised! Looking forward to giving this one a spin.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by TheJeff23

Jeffie.. congrats and welcome, it is a good show.. one of the infamous ones. Fluffhead, yes.. the warehouse blues. Who's idea was it to locate the new warehouse near Roswell, NM anyway?

Just catching up from being gone all week.. one of those posts pages back was talking about the '88 Hampton show released on the Download Series (3/27/88) I think. Oroborous' comments were spot on. The recording doesn't seem to capture the energy. I especially liked the To Lay Me Down > Let it Grow. In all honestly, the specialness of the Ballad of a Thin Man was lost on me because I did not know the history and the So What was more like a Say What oddity than a Holy Shit moment. But '89 was the run at that venue, those were great shows.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html