• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Yahoo number 19758 was waiting for me in the mail pouch when I got home. I was so hoping it would be here for weekend listening.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Hope y'all have similar good luck.

Gonna spin this tomorrow night with my buddy, Death Valley Shorty. It'll be the first time I've heard it since the cassette that slayed me, circa 1980. Let's see, that's ...... WHATTTT?? 40 freakin' years ago!

And I still so clearly remember "Dekalb" was shorthand for hot GD tape.

Cheers everyone, TGIF!

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I was outside smoking a cigar with S.M. playing from the archive and caught myself dancing side to side in a matter of seconds. This is one great version. The neighbors probably thought I flipped out.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

In reply to by carlo13

Here are the show notes from this release. Don't shoot the messenger.

SHOW NOTES
Grateful Dead Download Series Volume 5

3/27/88 Hampton Coliseum Hampton, VA

Every year in the Grateful Dead’s touring history contained shows that were justifiably considered to be the best of the year. Cornell comes to mind for 1977, Harpur or 2/13 at the Fillmore East in 1970, Augusta, ME, in 1984, and for 1988, the show most widely remembered as the best of the year is the middle night in Hampton, VA, on the Spring Tour: March 27, 1988. Those who were present agree that there was magic in the air that night. We are pleased to announce that Grateful Dead Download Series Vol. 5 is this incredibly dynamic concert, in its entirety. For those who have heard the “Ultra-Matrix” tape of this concert, Download Vol. 5 will be a revelation: an impeccably clean, crispy pure soundboard recording, which reveals every nuance of this amazing concert.

Highlights are many, with some rarities mixed in the fold on this special night alongside stellar versions of several Grateful Dead classics. Early in the first set, we are treated to the first and one of only two performances of Bob Dylan’s “Ballad Of A Thin Man,” followed by the country one-two punch of “Cumberland Blues” and “Me and My Uncle.” Next up is the return to the rotation of “To Lay Me Down,” its first appearance in almost five years, although you wouldn’t know it by this performance. The second set features the most powerful version of the trio of “Sugar Magnolia>Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain” since the Closing Of Winterland, preceded by the only version ever played of Miles Davis’ “So What.” Later, the second set includes terrific renditions of “Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad” and “Dear Mr. Fantasy,” all capped by the expected “Sunshine Daydream.” Finally, 1988 is represented with an official release, and what a show it is!

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

A day early and a dollar long--wasn't scheduled to arrive until tomorrow.

TicketBastard--In December I went to get four tickets for a local performance of The Nutcracker. Tickets were $60/each. Final bill? $320! TicketBastard wanted $20/ticket for "convenience". I drove downtown and purchased the tickets with no fees from the theatre, but not everyone has that option.

Synchronicity--I was sitting at a stoplight a while back, listening to Ship of Fools, when a panel truck with a big "Sailor Jerry" painting on it rolled through the other way. Some sort of spiced rum. Yesterday, at that same light, the same truck rolls through again, this time JUST as Lost Sailor begins.

Last Five:
Beethoven Piano Sonatas: Richard Goode
Mahler's 1st Symphony: Bruno Walter & Columbia Symphony Orchestra
Billie Holiday: Commodore Recordings
Pinski Zoo: Rare Breeds (great British rock jazz--discovered thanks to John Fordham's book, Jazz)
Genesis--Abacab

Be kind, rewind.

$20 Convenience fee for four tickets for what essentially costs them a buck at most. Unbelievable.

TicketMonster is clearly run by the evil twin of Martin Shkreli, Pharma Bro, but by evil I mean much, much more evil.

So the convenience of four tickets would have cost you $80? Convenient for who? They need to be stopped, we should all be outraged.. they basically have a monopoly or a regional oligopoly. And they make this from every ticket from every show from every band from many, many venues... all the while, the costs are basically hidden, added on above what you thought the ticket was going to cost. They might was well make you bend over and take it before you click the complete purchase button.

Enough Already.

(rant over, perhaps the new liner notes will hit the spot)

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by TheJeff23

Welcome - its always great when someone new joins in on the banter. I have had this show-DeKalb 10/29/77 - for about 20 years on a bootleg, and it has always been my favourite show from the second half of 1977. Getting this is a great way to open your Dave's Picks account.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

At the very least they could add an option for a lube wodge before check out. Of course this would add 5.99 per ticket and a one time $99.00 fee for equipment installation. Fully refundable of course, upon return of the wodging apparatus.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

UberTicket

$.39 fee per ticket, load the app on your phone.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

All: I mistakenly ordered 2 sets of Daves picks 2020 and just realized it when I got my second dekalb this morning (#934/22000). I know there's a few left now but if anyone is interested (presumably after they run out on the site) email me at markbayer@comcast.net and it's yours for cost (roughly 28 bucks)... I'll also "reserve" the other three in the series (and/or any of them individually that the buyer of DeKalb purchases). Let me know cause it's a great show. Please only interested listeners, not eBay flippers... there's already enough gouging going on out there on old shows.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Welcome the Jeff23 you have now entered the twilight zone, get ready for a real good time with that Delkab show, I've also had a copy for 20 or so years and it is the best show of 1977 imho. From the opening notes of Might as Well, Jerry and the boys are tight and up, you are going to love this show.
Just checked Roger Waters tickets at ticketmaster, wow, saw him in 2017 and it was 150.00 for floor seats, now, thru the roof with unbelievable fees. I find it kind of ironic that he states that the rich are destroying the world, and yet he charges these prices? I was so looking forward to this tour, but now, the only way to go is go to the venue and pick them up at the ticket window, therefore eliminating the fees. Would love it if Roger played some new music, or some old Floyd like Nick Mason is doing, he has been milking the wall and darkside of the moon for almost 20 years now. Still, to all who are thinking of attending, have fun, I'm sure it will be a great show.
Just saw while on the ticket site that Bobby and the wolf bros are coming to town in March, also very high ticket fees, I will be going to the venue today to pick up tickets, fuck you ticketmaster and your rip off fees. I will not purchase tickets with 20 to 50$ fees attached to them.
Also the only way to get a Wolf Bros. ticket from ticketmaster is to have it downloaded to your phone, what if you don't have a phone that is capable of that? I guess the poor and the folks without smart phones get left out. Things sure have changed since my last Dead show, and they just keep getting worse.
I'm looking 70 square in the face and all I can say is I don't like getting older, but I feel for the young, they will never know how great the music scene used to be, how it was open to all, not just the well off or tech savvy.
I remember standing in line at the 91' shows I attended, there were freaks that looked like they had crawled out of the woodwork, or came down from their caves in the hills to get tickets. All were welcome. Gone are the days we stopped to decide where we should go we just ride, gone are the broken eyes we saw thru in dreams, gone, both dream and lie.

user picture

Member for

10 years

Was intending to purchase two nights of Tedeschi/Trucks at the Rocks, as I have for years.

The slimeball fee: $17 per ticket. I couldn't do it this year. Literally.

I succumbed to one night's show only, because the "fee" made me angry. We've crossed a line. More accurately, they have. $68 for a few electrons? No way. That's sad for the music, because T&T's actual ticket prices are still fair. And they draw a nice crowd of good folks.

TicketBastard needs to vanish in a puff of vapor. Now.

Coffee, please........ Carry on..........

Isn’t this where we left off on the DaP 32 page?

For reference, this is what I have paid for Roger Waters:

2020 $210 + $53.30 fee
Floor left front of SBD.

2017 $199.50 +$24.70 fee
Floor center front of SBD

2012 $203.00 + $27.80 fee
Floor right of SBD

2010 $203.00 + $17.25 fee
First row off floor, my seat was a folding chair where the hockey team bench goes. There were hockey games the night before and after the concert. They just took the glass down and covered the ice with boards.

2007 $83.00 + $12.30 fee
Upper level side. Made the mistake of relying on someone besides myself to get a ticket. From then on I just buy a single ticket on the floor for myself.

So, Waters has been pretty consistent with pricing for floor seats. It’s Ticketbastard that is taking advantage of the monopoly it is allowed to hold.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

JRF68 refers to an unfortunate event from yesterday

I know of which you refer

It resulted in a very unhappy drive home

I went to the mailbox

And there is daves33

THANK YOU GRATEFUL DEAD

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

in just one sentence, might as well, might as well, now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country. We live in dark times and as you stated, another light just went out.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

My first GD shows
4-6-89 $18.50 + $2.25 service fee + $1.75 university fee
7-17-89 $17.50 + $1.75 fee (parking included)
7-21,22-90 $19.50 + $2.75 each night

The Who 7-25-89 $23.00 + unknown fee
Row 32 floor, center aisle of Pontiac Silverdome. That was awesome, and well worth the $23 price.

Rolling Stones 12-9-89 $31.00 + $3.50 fee
Upper level of Pontiac Silverdome. Good show but nothing compared to The Who.

Furthur
4-3-11 $59.50 + $14.30
They played Dark Star>Time>Breathe with Phil doing an excellent version of Roger Waters.
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/furthur/2011/fox-theater-atlanta-ga-5bdc…

Dead & Co 11-29-17 $150.00 + $28.80 fee
GA Floor

FTW Tix became $200 + fees after the whole ticket fiasco, but I got mail order for the original advertised price.
Recall that when tix when on sale through Ticketbastard over 500,000 requests went in almost simultaneously and Ticketbastard broke down. Woo Hoo, go Deadheads!

Phish
12-10-92 $14.00, no fee because I bought it at the box office
11-13-97 $23.75, unknown fee
Gen admin, Vguy was that you standing next to me?

Yes, the old days are gone.
With my ticket now digital on my phone, there will be no stub to go with the others.

user picture

Member for

10 years 5 months

Anyone else notice the short side disc 2 is not HDCD encoded until track 3? Probably most folks won't notice this, but my Gratetul Dead-dedicated Oppo 83 SE HDCD player shows "CD" on disc 2 first 2 tracks, then at track 3 it switches to HDCD. Never seen one do that before! Maybe a test to see if anyone notices?

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by EdTheHead

It is a dark day here.

Rain, snow, not enough snow to ski, not enough rain the rivers to boat.. to crappy to bike. Loading my device with Dekalb and going for a hike in the cold rain and snow.

One way or another...

Perhaps this show will life my spirits. I have not listened to it in likely five years or so.. so it's practically a new show again.

Am I crazy or isn't there an opportunity for some tech startup to Uber-ize the ticketing process and cut out those rape fees altogether.

After we finish tunneling under the vault and free the reels, there's some seed money available for just such and adventure. Speaking of adventure, I'm off with a little spring in my stride. Speaking of.. I read a post from Zuckfun this week. He has been tunneling for years without coming up to the surface, so we can only assume we are close.

Disc 2 no HDCD huh.. now that's strange.

Oh.. on a related note, proud Terrapin here.. I had Tuesday night's basketball game on in the background while getting some stuff down and into commercial they que the refrain from the studio version of Terrapin Station just as they fade into commercial. Bill Walton would be proud.

In the shadow of the moon, terrapin station... and I know we'll be there soon.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Have gotten way out of control and need to be legislatively controlled. Credit card companies can run around charging interest rates of 30%. The fees have even spilled over into StubHub, Airbnb, etc.

We got a fantastic price for last minute tickets to Hamilton. Tack on the $50 per ticket fee and it is not such a great deal.

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

Each month I pick a show of the month, one is a show I attended, and one is an official release. I saw a lot of great shows in February, two fantastic shows at the Warfield Theatre in February of 1982. But my favorite show attended, was 2/17/79. What a great show, hopefully they will release it. As far as an official release, 2/14/68, 2/28/69, and 2/14/70 are all first ballot hall of fame, but if I had to pick one it would be 2/28/69, all are 10 out 10 winners.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

“And especially a big hello out there to all you radio listeners”... Hola!, The Jeff23– ( that name invokes the dude, in the tub, smoking a fatty). —welcome aboard seatbelts are optional here, but....

DAVEROCK; the Brex-up....once again, brilliant! Great analysis as usual. Is the whole world finally gone past the tipping point and become completely mad? Fucking Greedheads all! From some POS on the dole who has 16 credit cards maxed out, but has no job, but feels “they get no respect” and that they deserve all the latest greatest; 100” TV, new car, designer clothes, their own house, because “im special”, all the way up the chain to the top 1% CEOs who again feel “I’m special” so deserve to make 6,543 times more than the people at my company who actually do the work”, Fuck the Greedy! HST would be rolling in his grave if he hadn’t been shot out of a canon!
Ok, sorry, phew, that was building and the TicketBastard rap here put me over the top, apologies.....

Death Valley Shorty, LoL, now that’s a moniker!

CARLO; too funny, careful Bra! and fug the neighbors! “#$&$k em all but six” It’s troubled times like these that we need to let our freak flags fly, freak power my brothers and sisters! “Attica, Attica, Attica..”

DEADVIKES: Thanks for that info. Messenger no shoot, messenger good!

DHBREWER; great tale, I know a few others here are real big on that cosmic radio I Ching, serindiputis, X factor, cosmic connections of the universe kindy stuff....oh, and Sailor Jerry, whooaaaa, ah, ahem, used to have a bit of a problem with that back in the day.... 16 oz beer pint with a little ice, about 2/3 SJ, 1/3 Pepsi.....liquid crack. Used to start my night off with one, then downshift to a Big Foot Barelywine, then downshift again to some more reasonable Beer back when I was a musician...but I digress as we just covered some of that recently...

JRF88: Well Said! Sad but true my brother.....”this darkness got to give...” beginning to sound more like a question than a statement.

STOLTZY: speaking of Cosmic Debris....similar day, crappy day, leave early to meet the Radon mitigation contractor, pops being transferd from Hospital to Rehab but no cell service at job sight, so no clue what’s going on or what to do, meanwhile “the whole goddam governments bought and sold” (BW (7/6/15), so all that noise on the radio, oh, yeah, and on top of all that, I’m getting sick!
So I walk in the house, and there it is! Like a magic rainbow of sound, 33, like Patrick Roy in the playoffs! Boo-yah!
33: Wooza, all I can say now. Need to listen again to get a grip....thank you USPS for delivering early, and Lovey for standing in line and picking it up.

EdtheHead; another great name, and you sir are correct! Dropped 33 in the Oppo BDP 93 and yaaasss, 1&3 are HDCD encoded, while #2 is no bueno! Good catch!

JIM: got them mean ole walking blues....sounds like a fine day for a hike and some tunes. No such thing as bad weather, only bad gear! If I wasn’t sick I’d do the same, probably just the ticket.
All y’all, out there in radio land, lean over and kiss your radio, then perhaps spark one up, grab some tunes and appropriate gear, and take a hike eh!
Like Kerouacs vision of an army of rucksack totin’ Buddhist wanderers, picture a whole army of Headphone sportin’, psychedelic tie-dye Gortex wearing, Deadheadhippiefreaks all clomp, clomping along like a Bird that flew, down the avenue, tangled up and blue....

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

The interplay on this is incredible. Instrumental breaks for Jack Straw and Friend of the Devil being standouts so far (I'm only just now dipping down into Estimated...).

I was expecting something akin to Vol 25 Binghamton, but I'm enjoying this a heck of a lot more. For me, Binghamton has the energy but seems to lack the subtlety that's needed to really make it turn into something special. Dekalb's got both!

....."Thank you. We're gonna take a short break. Y'all mill around and feel free to associate with one another. And we're gonna do the same backstage."
No DeKalb here yet, so I'm Swinging it....first supermodel show of the year. And she's a beaut. Hubba, Hubba.
Footnote. Of all my tapes I collected back in the late 80's / early 90's, I never traded for DeKalb. Not even a sniff, so I'm pretty excited to jump in. Unkle Sam calls it out as the best of '77. Strong statement.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Even Star Wars for 2 adults / 2 kids cost $70 for tickets, a couole of popcorns and a couple of drinks. Fucking outrageous.

I work for a fortune 100 company and my health benefits went from $7200 a year, with in-network copays of 10-20 bucks for everything. Been like that for the 20 years I've been with the company. This year it's $13,000 plus a $2800 deductable per family member, which basically means I'm not covered for anything short of a disease or major accident. I think companies are silently in league on converting health coverage to this deductable system that is useless for generally healthy people. But you can't not get it, or you risk losing your house if something terrible happens. Our government sucks. That whole town needs a giant enema.

The squeeze is on anyone with a job, and it's coming from most sectors of the economy. $250 a month to watch TV and use the internet. Professional athletic events. $200K salary a year and above is the is the new middle class (not me), maybe higher. Disgusting. I'm all for helping the needy, but the government makes it too easy for capable people to sit back and live off of free shit. Free phones and food stamps or bust your ass to work in the marketplace. No brainer for the lazy. I travel a bit for work and ended up in a poor area staying in a motel that's just rooms off an outdoor walkway. Found weed easily and hung out with a jobless guy who admitted he was taking advantage of the system. He was collecting food stamps for 3 people, 2 who had (wife and kid) who moved to another state and were collecting food stamps there for 3 months before the system caught up with them. Guy told me he was living large trading food stamps for just about anything you can think of. Paid nothing for insurance. All on the working men and women's tax dime.

I'm done with spending money on football games, cable bills, converts, movies, whatever. I'm tired of paying for lazy capable people and tired of paying the big companies 80 bucks for "convenience" charges. Like Jim said, convenient for what? Am I getting a limo and escort servive? End of rant.

Now Dave's Picks is a true deal.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FizCq29sEq0

This sounds different, something a little bit strange going on this night and its grate!! Wasn't sure 'another '77' would deliver such a golden road but this one really is a fine release.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Damage bill and also a copy of a flight itenerary for the Show at Soldiers and Sailors from San Francisco to Kansas City! Now there’s some synchronicity for ya!!!

GO CHIEFS!!!

Carry on

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

....synchronicity indeed. I think the Niners are gonna win. Wanna bet KCJanes??

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

I’ll take a friendly wager senator....I would propose a 6 pack (or 4-16’s) of the winners (or the losers if agreeable) favorite beer?

No points, think it’s only -1 anyways, so shouldn’t be an issue. Shipping included to the winner of course!

But if you had something else in mind, I’m listening!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

15028 has landed in Philly!!!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Well with upcoming elections and all, I can understand you not wanting to push the limits...how about this? if I lose I’ll send you my favorite beer and the socks...fuck em! I would be very happy with those socks though...looks like something I could pull all the way up with shorts! 😁

Plus I don’t plan on losing

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

I love those things (enamel pins)...have bought a couple of those packs. Put them on my hats and also fun to give away at shows!

DeKalb...2nd time through and I should say that this Let It Grow is Spectacular!!! If only it had a Weather Report Suite...i agree with Sixtus though...they are on the razors edge or falling over on this one....spot on the entire time...fucking place must have been a sweatbox!!!

Edit: vguy...yes I have a couple left but you can never have too many!

I think I need some new glasses.. I thought they were Steelie Condoms.

They do need some new merch.. some of that stuff is leftover from the fillmore.

On the bright side.. it's a good thing the Godchaux's weren't entertaining Richard Pryor that night. Looking under the bed using matches? Wonder what they lost and whose room they moved all their swag into once they realized the fireman and cops were on their way.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but the "new" mailers --- think they switched over last year or something? --- are nowhere near as good as the old.

3 of my last 6 Picks have been damaged/dinged when I received them.
Not enough to warrant bellyaching for a return...or even expecting that a reship would be any different.
But it can be a real bummer getting something brand new and it being marked up already … especially when it happens repeatedly.

The current mailers are just plain bubble...the older ones had the heavy cardboard exterior and seemed to provide much better protection.
In my experience, at least, based on being a subscriber the last 6 years.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by sladeums

....i ❤ your avatar sladeums!
And yes. The cardboard was more protective. But as long as you dont have a gorilla jumping on samsonite luggage, should still be ok in bubble wrap. For the most part.
But, I do believe cardboard is more eco friendly / recyclable as well.
I recall the first year of Dave's came in banana leaves wrapped in hemp if I'm not mistaken.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by sladeums

and the mailers

If it aint one thing its another
Or the cow sez
If it aint one tit its an udder

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

I agree slade. The mailers with the cardboard did give an extra barrier from bumps. It figures.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

Disc 2 is only 3 songs 25 minutes
Back in the day we used have something called filler...
Just saying

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html