• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by Vguy72

All that early early early stuff is great

I cant come down
Mindbender

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 1 month

In reply to by stoltzfus

Buy Perfume In Bangladesh | Perfume In Bangladesh <a href="http://stopnshopbd.com/&quot; target="_blank">Stop N Shop BD</a> is the first website in Bangladesh offering huge collection of branded perfumes, online. All perfumes are 100% original

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Anyone who, like me, has been to Bangladesh will be aware that the overriding "perfume" of Bangladesh is the smell of shit. A noseclip of the sort favoured by synchronized swimmers is a possible solution. The cheesy smile is not obligatory.

Why would an asian spammer trying to sell perfume consider dead.net to be a potentially lucrative market?

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Could be the smell of Patchouli attracting the perfume peddlers. They think we are an easy target. Interesting enough, patchouli is species of plant which is derived from the “deadnettle” plant family. One can’t make this shit up!

And vguy...seeing that I already have some enamel pins. I think I will opt for the bolt condomns that I can wear with shorts. Oro is right...i look cool just thinking about it!

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

I got them old cosmic blues again. Darkstar, you are right on so many things, except some don't have a choice, and they are the ones who need the assistance the most.
I had a many paragraph post typed up for a response to your post, but I deleted it, as we all know, "it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world". This was said in a film that was released in 1942.
Shipping mailers, hey, anything to reduce cost, right? I don't expect there will be an increase in the production numbers next year for this series. I do expect a price increase soon tho.
I stand by my statement, may be the best show of 77, and it has a space too, short, but very sweet. I have not researched it but this could be one of the first jams actually labeled "space". I love to get lost in space. Space is the place. I had something on my mind, but I spaced. Some say some of my posts are just wasted space. I love it when Jerry goes out into space, more space please.

I can always use some new pint glasses and coffee cups.. especially insulated stainless steel and Tervis tumblers with a nice skull and roses on them or something.

My go to coffee mug is an insulated stainless steel Morning Brew mug.. but it is dented, old and the writing is beginning to chip off to become unrecognizable.

Maybe I will wrap the beat up mug in a the always stylish bolt-condom sock and give it a facelift.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Lots of twos. I bet this doesn't happen often. If you took the average, wouldn't it be 11/11/1111?

Spent the day yesterday with my supermodel ex girlfriend. I'm ok with being friends with benefits. This show is as good as I remembered.. but I still prefer the Swing over this and Cornell. I am also looking forward for #34.

I do like someone's previous comment, might have been IceCreamConeKid?? I forget.. something like Dekalb is a nice transition from 77 to 78 where they took the polished feel of Spring 77 and stretched the sound out as far as they could without completely jumping off the tracks whereas in 78 sometimes the train left the rails.

I can buy that. Was he playing Wolf or the Travis Bean for this show?

Edit: Or would the average be 01/01/1010?

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

....boy oh boy , Phill and Billy & mickey Are Primo Love it a sweet 77 sound board back in Vault!!!! Yes! 🙏❤️😎💀🌹💀🌹

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Yes, Jim, I’ve been to NOLA on a hot, humid June day. There was a thunderstorm as my plane was approaching the airport. By the time I got to Bourbon Street about 2 hours later the sun was out and baking the place. The water was evaporating off the streets making it real humid. Water was draining out of trash dumpsters into the street, then getting heated by the sun and evaporating, filling the streets with Parfum de Landfill.

No, Jim, I did not write the description of 77>78.
But I don’t seeing anything wrong with playing on the edge.

Nice palindrome Jim.
0202 2020

DaP 33 has Space as a separate track, but Phil and Drums (about 3 mins) is included as St. Stephen. I may need to separate that when I put the show on my computer.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

In reply to by Lovemygirl

Number 16151 is in the house!
Arrived Saturday 1 February 2020. I had forgotten that I ordered the Dave's Picks 2020 subscription package in November and ordered DaP33 ala carte, that copy should arrive Monday 02/03/20.
Definitely an audio upgrade for me from my old cassette trade from early 1990.

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

4-5-69 Miller.18701

Currently on Dark Star, like what I’m hearing so far. Good sound.
Recording info: SBD>Rm (7 inch master reels @ 7.5ips 1/2trk)>DAT.
Candidate for release?

I’ve been through 10-29-77 twice, so switching it up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Okay, I know I said I wasn't doing scans of Dave's 33, but when #18988 got here AHEAD of schedule yesterday, I couldn't resist. Here's a link to all the Dave's covers I've done – scroll down to my corrected scan of Dave Kloc's artwork:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qx5j9ydoc7bzm8z/AAD8yK_vCv_kQ-oLkLJQVCEla?dl…

(And check out Kloc's website at https://www.davekloc.com/).

Just getting started, but from what I’ve heard so far, Dave's 33 really is going to be a face-melter. Hope I come back to reality in time for the kickoff! My bet's on a cool sixer of Deep Ellum IPA. . . Onward.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Bangladesh, sure, NOLA, definetly, how bout Dead tour Summer of 88, say at Alpine......that’s some Pepi Lepew shit!

SPACE, is most definetly the place!

4/5/69: Bring it!

The Ensemble: lol, sounds like a Seinfeld episode. A few accessories if I may. “To obtain the full dapper hipster appearance, one needs short, tight, Levi cutoffs with obnoxious boxers sticking out the bottom about six inches, with white knee socks, a huge pare of old school leather Italian hiking boots (lace color optional), GD tee shirt, a very dapper paisley vest, topped of with a stylish hat (no ball caps!) a real hat is needed! (Feather optional)
Throw a couple of stealie condoms in your vest pocket and your ready to hit the town!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRHBLwpASw

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

#14701 in the house and no skips or imperfections. Safely burned into iTunes. What an easygoing show with a great vibe, and the sound is delicious.

Getting prepped for our annual Super Bowl party. Wife out getting groceries and I have the absinthe station all set up.

Despite the Dead's connections to San Francisco, I'm going for the Chiefs myself. I consider Patrick Mahomes the best player on that field today, but he's going to have to step up big and toss at least 4 td's to get past the Niners.

My oldest son is wearing his San Fran jersey white side out to spite me. Ah, youth...

....yes. today is 02.02.2020, but lest not forget. It's 33 days into the year. 333 days to go. 🤔 3's.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Didn't the Dead play there once?

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

With 2/15/73!!! I know it is not a returned Betty but it is always like an old friend you haven't seen in a while. Once i start listening to it. especially Dark Star>Eyes, I'm always like why did i wait so long!!!

....equals super food. Fajitas, guac, margaritas are prepping. Mrs Vguy didn't want the Dead playing though. I asked her what do you feel like listening to? She said Journey. Admittedly, it has been a while since I've listened to them. Happy wife, happy life.

I could see 2/18/71 Capitol Theatre and 2/9/73 Maples Pavilion getting released soon. All those new songs.. and the slinky, bouncing, loping Eyes of the world. Might not be the best ever but might be just about the perfect time.

Anyway, random thought.. back to your regularly scheduled programming and absinthe consuming rituals (Louche??)

I like the idea of a 1969 diversion. Who keeps starting all these naughty rumors?

user picture

Member for

8 years 4 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

I’m now listening to
4-4-69 FM.87542

What’s that?
An April 1969 Box - Avalon and Ark together?
That’s a great idea Dave.
Sign me up.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

....i need some new socks and/or enamel pins. The wife is rooting for KC just to make it interesting (she could give two shits tbh).
Journeys Escape record is very good. Always loved their covers. Scarabs for daysss.

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

The Mrs. is down in Tucson visiting relatives...I will be leaving the salt mine shortly and ignore (for the most part) the game...got some pork chops to grill and then smother in a killer hatch green chili sauce I made last night for it...ahhh the life...and listen to some '71 stuff mainly the Taft in Cincinnatt I believe it is...

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

....so, so good. So, so versatile. Yummy. Nappyrags is all over it. Good call. Mrs Vguy has had one of my signature margaritas. Getting loose. Now she wants to listen to Van Halen. I've created a monster! Women and Children First it is....
Some good music released between 79-81. My childhood music cherry was popped during those years.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by Vguy72

"Happy wife" is an oxymoron

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

The "Great Divide" in GD history is between 9 3 77 and 9 28 77

9 28 is when Drums became a halfway through 2nd set feature.

Too long to explain. But i know what i am saying

user picture

Member for

6 years 10 months

Start shopping for socks.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I listened to the October 29th 1977 show a few times on soundboard starting a couple of years ago after a particular regular poster here recommended it to me. Eyes of the World I recalled being one of the best from the post Hiatus era.

Listening to it now for the first time on the official release platform and really enjoying the sound. Jerry's coming through loud and clear, so much so I'm thinking it's the Wolf. I'm not sure at what point in Fall '77 he put down the Travis Bean - certainly by December as indicated in the Dick's Picks 10 liner notes, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we're listening to here.

While I prefer Keith on the grand piano or Fender Rhodes, he's mixed pretty nicely on this one. He tends to come through a little bit hot on some of these Fall releases, but this is perfect (and much better than the synth-organ he was using in the April / early May timeframe - I'm thinking Polymoog - man that one drove me nuts - very prominent at Cornell). Actually, Keith did just get kind of loud on New Minglewood Blues, but he has it in Jazzy funk mode - not bad. Pretty sure it was a Yamaha. Also pretty sure he had no choice in the matter, just going by different articles I've read.

Yeah, so far so good....

user picture

Member for

11 years 1 month

In reply to by JimInMD

...At least the Burns Twice Pork Chops kicked butt...and as far as #15,919 goes...I've never been a fan of post hiatus St Stephens...there's something off in the way it gets slowed down, a bit plodding...maybe it's Mickey I don't know but uh uh...occasionally they do the same with Bertha & NFA ... the Estimated - Eyes on this though kills it...BRING ON THE NEXT!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by nappyrags

.....lovers come and go. The icing on the cake. Today was a good day. Despite the scores. Stay safe y'all.
10.20.68 is pumping. I was five months old. Mirror shatters...its all good.

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Wow...been waiting a long time for this!!! Feels just right.....be good y’all and may your team win the next one!!!

KCJ

user picture

Member for

16 years 3 months

I believe the Dead covered 3 songs, Not Fad Away, Oh Boy, and La Bamba... 17 million people on average call out sick today also.... Have a good week everyone. bob t

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

The Uptown show contained filler that was labeled Franklins Tower -> Jam
Spectrum had Jam into Dark Star

This show has Eyes -> Space?

Why Space and not Jam? What's the criteria here?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

Bobby is the reason for this. They finally got their space together for the second set jam.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

anyone have any word on the next vinyl release of fillmore (3-1-69)?

user picture

Member for

6 years 4 months

Yeah Stoltzfus...we were just chuckling about that at breakfast this morning. Really pissed off some folks from Missouri I heard....Sad, Sad

🤣🤣🤣

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

for the "meet up at the movies" this year i don't think anyone would complain if it was in black and white as long as the show rocked!? plus is there anyway that you all can get the theaters to guarantee a certain volume? (george lucas does it) both years i've went we had to complain about it being down too low. The first year they turned it up and man that theater was rockin' we had people dancing everywhere, it was flippin' awesome! Last year they had it at med-low volume but wouldn't make any adjustment. dissapointing... i mean we're goin to see a concert. I don't just want to hear it I WANT TO FEEL IT!!!! My system at home get's louder than what it sounded like last year. So what's the point? I'm gonna try one more time but if they do that again this year it will be the last time i go. Please you guys, try and get them to understand that WE ARE GOING TO SEE A CONCERT! thanks!

My DaP 33 coming today. Can't wait for the weekend! Will be my first time hearing this show and gonna make it special occasion if you know what i mean. 😛 []🤏🏻

This is suppose to be "upper eshelon" so i want to see if dave really knows what he's talking about or he's just blowin more smoke. You guys think this one's worth a trip down memory lane? I mean every release that comes out he hypes to death, but i have a good feeling about this one. It's '77 so it can't be that bad, plus it's got space. You don't see space to much in '77 so... but, i mean, they're saying this is in the same league as cornell??! But to me that's what cornell was missing WAS space. Because If i was trying to turn someone on to the dead i mean cornell was an awesome show but no space! space to me is part of the whole grateful dead experience. I can remember back in the 90's when i got on the bus my buddy had a tape and when it went in to space we were just like whoooaaa! ;) kinda separated them from other bands. all good though.

user picture

Member for

6 years 7 months

Sorry, I was unable to comment over the weekend(received Dave's 33 Saturday!!). Only through disc 1 so far, but excellent in every way, and I agree that the Let It Grow is one of my favorite LIG's already(also love Dire Wolf & Ramble On Rose).
Regarding leaving a show early, in 1981, I took my then wife to see XTC at the Bayou in D.C. Their bus broke down on the NJ Turnpike, so the show started LATE. My (now EX) wife had to go to work early the next morning, so we left about 1/2 way through XTC's set.
Starting the next day, she was NEVER asked to accompany me to another concert. Problem solved.
Thank God I got to see them a 3rd time in MD just prior to the end of their touring days in 1982.
Looking forward to 2nd set tonight!!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html