• 787 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • shiney mike

I just tried posting a note about Dave's Pick's 36 over there - but I am too challenged here , uh let's say 'technically challenged' to go back and finish the thought there (after a keyboard slip killed my connection) . . . Where was I? Searched by date again and found a few more of us who were there and other fans of the show.

I was there. Start to finish - the whole show has the little gems. Sparkles. Bird Song that night is always a favorite show memory. David Lemieux is saying how his 3-26-87 Bird Song is the best played/recorded performance, and hearing it on DaP #36 I'd allow that. If that'd been the Bird Song I'd first seen, I would put it at the top of the list too.

I don't have an opinion about best all time song rendition (of anything) because it's too hard to listen to all the tapes!

Even if it weren't so hard (like if you are the archivist for the band), then the recording quality is going to become more of a factor in your choice. And there can be no (or little) doubt the about it: This new Dave's Picks Vol 36, 3-26-87, speaking from the sonic point of view, has it all over the 1981 boards, which were very dry and sometimes roughly mixed. In 1981 I'm not sure the band wasn't mastering the boards only to HQ cassette, and there were seeders a tree - sometimes gaps happened downward the branch, but even top deck on a chain is a step down from 7 or 10 inch Open Reel etc.

12-26-81 Oakland Civic Auditorium.

Well, my dupe of the Jim P. audience master tape, has served me very well - it still amazes me.
    Side A has Boss Man, Bird Song and Big RR Blues. I had to check the list. Boss Man and Big RR Blues. Same set. Side two, Some Drums, w the "A Day at the Dentist" space into Eleven Jam, Truckin'... My tape cut Black Peter, but still... Some fun. I guess Jerry had the blues that night -- I had to check my memory runnin' some old kind of trick... Boss Man and Big RR Blues! But that Big Boss Man, I just read they only did it the once with Garcia on lead Vocs?
    Wow - I didn't know that.

I have always enjoyed 12-26-81. My C-60 always sounded just like the show to me. (at least when I had a good stereo set up)
    The tapers I knew back then had developed a three mic set up and used a pre-amp on the phantom channel, (or was the the xy pair)--they employed a sweetener on the low end - and 1981 they were experimenting with DBX to extend total dynamic range. Not perfected yet but close...

It was really hard to make your copy of the master tapes - they output real clean at average or low volume, so one was tempted to boost input - then as the band peaked you'd get over saturation, which can cause distortion (even on cassettes) and you'd get tape more hiss if you didn't boost.
    People use input limiters, and signal compression, (now available as various digital plug-ins for various mastering platforms), all the time for pro remastering now, but back then, you came with your tape blanks and deck and get jacked directly to the output bus if there was one, or straight in the back of the next deck in the sequence if they didn't even have a bus.
    Well - I sort of , I guess I kind of miss taping parties.

• SunshineDel

In the days when the Grateful Dead ran the business, I never had any problems! I think it criminal that this company treats us like shit! When you pre-order, you are being USED for venture capital! Basically they are using your money to produce the product! In the past, they use to reward us for this by delivering the product you paid for, on or before the sale date! Now it seams that greed has taken over and any thank you is gone! Please give us the support we are paying for!

• SunshineDel

It it obvious that your new shipping methods DON'T WORK! Why can't you deliver this on time any more? Ever since the Grateful Dead sold out, service has gone down hill! PLEASE FIX THE PROBLEM!

• Lovemygirl

... I used to think Jerry played his electric guitar like an Acoustic guitar, and sometimes Vice versa! I am a DeadHead & BrainDead! 😅💀🌹

• TimP

DP33 -- great playing but to me late 77 is the beginning of Keith becoming irrelevant to the sound. The problem being that the Yamaha electric grand he started to use from Autumn 77 simply doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned. Weedy sound -- muddles too much with the rhythm guitar, no real dynamics.

It just annoys me how awful it sounds - ps I am a pianist :)

• robkuhn6872

I was expecting to receive this, too, since it is in the Track Listing with no caveat -- which I now discover they only included on the Product Description tab -- not exactly fair and righteous! You know, it pays to act fast if you want one of these, so once I checked the Track Listing, I just went ahead and placed my order based on that. And that bonus disc is a deal breaker for me this time around. But rather than just (try to) return it, since it's sold out, I'll be looking for someone who might want to buy it directly from me. I don't even know if there's a direct contact method in here, but if anyone is interested in buying the basic 3-disc set, see if you can get in touch with me and we'll work something out. Thanks for listening!

• woopher
    Default Avatar

Exchanged a few emails with customer service. Last one was 2 months ago and I was assured that I would be updated with any new information. Is no news good news?? On the plus side, I got #34 last week and it's better than I hoped it would be!

• ChinaMattSunflower

I wouldn't be hard on yourself. They've been having delivery problems for past 2 years or so. I've started getting the subscription delivered to me overseas, and then the Picks I really can't live without - I'll have one shipped direct to my sister in the USA. Easy to blame covid - but reality is these problems been going on a while now (I still never got my Vol. 29). When you can eventually get Rhino to respond properly - they do a good job at trying to make amends.. but it's ridiculous they've allowed this to go on so long.

• Vguy72

....did you subscribe? If yes, then it comes with the pick. If ala cart, it's not included.

• smorris101
    Default Avatar

I received my copy if DaPicks #34 in the mail today but no bonus disc, do y'all know if that is being shipped seperately??

Cheers

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Just like the singular Cornell, just like the one later called Sunshine Daydream, just like hallowed Hampton, DeKalb stands legend on its own as one of the most sensational performances the Grateful Dead ever did do. Early tape-trading circles earmarked the show as upper-echelon and when you have a listen, we're sure you'll be inclined to agree. The original reel-to-reel recordings have been shined and polished to perfection, showcasing mighty fine fret work, sparkling keys, and unparalleled harmonies. In fact, we can hardly pick favorites - from start to finish, there's just too much good stuff!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 33: EVANS FIELD HOUSE, N. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY, DEKALB, IL 10/29/77 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman.

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Strider 808808

This week an electronic billboard on my commute home has been showing the Stones lips and tongue logo and the words “miss you”.
So I looked into it.

https://www.jambase.com/article/the-rolling-stones-tour-2020

Talk about high ticket prices. They’re the worst offenders.

I saw them once, 1989, maybe I should go again.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Back to May 77 but the first box. I find myself for some reason listening to these more than GSTL box... I like the design of the first box so much more than GSTL, which made me feel I was pulling out the video discs (pre-dated beta and vhs)... i know someone spoke about space versus jam, the other day, there is a space label between Uncle John's Band and Wharf Rat instead of Jam.. bob t

....Ween is coming to sin city in March. $74 including fees and $5 to mail an actual ticket to my house (because I'm old and like physical products). Not bad and a no brainer.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Disk 3 is smoking. Estimated>eyes>space>st.stephen.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....never got this one in my tape collecting daze. Keith sounds really good.
Bob T' s comment of GSTL's video disc / laser disc comparison hit home with me. I member berry those. I also member berry they were over $100 back in 1981. Being able to watch movies at home was revolutionary, and very expensive. Dad didn't pony up for a player, but he did get a VHS. Chunky buttons and all. Remote connected by a five foot cord. Roots was my first experience in that medium.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I remember those disks. I think they were housed in a way just like albums in album covers. You put the whole disk in the player then pull out the empty holder till the movie was over then place the holder back into the machine and the disk automatically returned to the holder so you never touched the disk at all.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

....you are on point Carlo. The first time I saw one, my 13 year old mind was blown. Then I went back to my Atari 2600 because that was mind blowing as well.
Did I mention how good Keith sounds in DeKalb? Apparently a warm up for burning a Holiday Inn bed the next morning. He was on fire!!
"I'm not a piano player, but I spent last night at a Holiday Inn."

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Icecrmcnkd...what price experience ? I saw then numerous times between 1973 and 2006, and they always seemed expensive. But they were always worth it.

In fact generally, I can't remember ever buying a ticket and feeling sorry that I coughed up so much for the ticket. There are quite a few I regret not going to though. We pass this way but once. I think.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

hey does anyone possibly might have scanned art work for this Dave's Picks to share ? for whatever reason the admin from album art exchange is blocking people with VPN's addresses and what not. or people he is randomly deeming to be hackers? or so i've read on his twitter site.

user picture

Member for

5 years 5 months

Hi Everyone,

Posting here again because I think I'm at the end of my rope with this. I've still not received Vol. 32, and now we're into 2020 and Vol. 33 is nowhere to be found. I don't understand why they can't include tracking numbers for shipments (especially international ones) - I thought these were generated automatically.

I've written to Marye (she's great!) and she's helped in getting the Dr. to reply - but time there's just been radio silence on these issues. The lack of efficient customer service is really getting to be too much.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt in China

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

First - sorry to everybody still waiting on 33 (or 32 and other items for that matter).

But that aside.... driving in this morning and was passed by a car with a giant Stealie on the window. Next noticed the plate - AMDEW. Given the nasty wintery mix we’re having this morning it should have been CLDRN&SNW.

Who’s got some cool plates? Here in Mass can only do six characters and can’t start with numbers so limits the outcome a little.

Enjoy and good luck for those waiting for packages

Bob, I'm with you on the first May 77 box set. It's probably simply a function of having five vs. four shows.. but there were surprises there for me. I'm going to drift away from '77 for a while, but I probably will be back in May for at least a few shows.

I would like to see them mix it up a little after '74. Something further off the beaten path.

Sorry to hear Chinamatt..

VGuy for the win - a connected remote control for your VHS??? WOW

We had a VHS player that we got on Christmas as a family in like 1980-something. I vividly recall my dad being like "He's our first family movie we're going to watch on our new VCR (on Christmas Day No Less): RAMBO!" Ha. But we never had an actual connected remote; which seems to almost defeats its purpose...almost.

Glad folks are enjoying their spins on 33. Book-ended by burning beds, that explains the hot show here...heh.

Be Well People and travel safely to those around Beantown today.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

I worked at a friend's diner in Lenox for about six months in '98...driving down the Mass Turnpike one day I saw a car with a "Even Bobby Fans Need Love" bumper sticker drive by me...made me laugh out loud...

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Well, as much as I love the Stones (been going to shows since 1969), I think I'll be passing this time around...the closest gig is in San Diego which will be just a bit too much to drive from No AZ...besides I had such a blast last August at their Phoenix area show I can live off of it...they do an advanced ticket sale for what is called "Lucky Dip" seats...you buy very cheap tickets and you don't know where you're sitting until you pick up your tickets at the will call window the day of the show...the last gig I bought two for $25 each...since nosebleeds were $75 I figured no matter where the seats were I was coming out ahead...come day of the show we went to the will call window...I gave the ticket agent my ID and order number and he had me stick my arm into the window so he could put a wristband on me with an additional wristband with a ticket for the Stage Pit right in front of Keith...we both just about fainted (it was a 112 degrees after all) and made our way in...was on my feet for nearly 5 hours but it was worth it...great show, great time...those pit passes by the way went for $450...

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

our first vhs was rented because they were like 700 bucks to buy. Me and a buddy split the rental cost. We were looking to tape all the monty pythons that were on pbs at the time. Even the damn tapes were expensive, we taped every thing in 6 hour mode to save tape! And yes, it had a 'wired' remote.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Dennis

We didn’t have one, but you could rent them at the supermarket. They came in a metal case that we were able to modify to get access to the one, mono audio out. We’d use a Y splitter and hook up to the stereo and watch The Dead movie or what other limited Concert movies we could get. It’s funny now, but back then that was sorta high tech!
Guess I was destined for AV?

KCJ: congrats on the win, but no comment on “the ensemble?

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Dennis

Reading the VCR w/ wired remotes (is it really a remote at all if it's wired?), reminds of early tape trading.

I got some of my better tapes early on taping the FM broadcasts of New Years shows, taping David Gan's Grateful Dead Hour in addition to sending friends off with boxes of 10 cassettes at a time. That was high end technology back in the day.. much like the wired VHS remotes of the same day.

We've come a long way. I still think back with amazement when One From the Vault was announced and soon of the heels came Dicks Picks 1. Heaven.. like that scene in 2001 when they plan the theme song and show the plaque in the background. The next plaque came when BTree hit followed by Archive.org.

Charlie Miller should be a Medal of Honor recipient. Man, we've come a long way.
Now back to regularly scheduled drumz and space. I think I am going to flip flop between late 60's and mid to late 80's this week.. just to keep my ADHD in check.

user picture

Member for

6 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

...will not disappoint! Looking forward to seeing them again in my hometown on 4/4. I haven't seen them live since 2000 so really looking forward to it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by OKCDeadHead

Looks like tour dates are final. Starts in Boulder at Folsom Field on July 10th, ends just about a month later at Fenway Park, Boston on August 8th. No surprises here except that there are no West Coast shows announced.. late summer / early fall for that?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Had a chance to give this at least a semi-distracted listen and a half so far. Finishing up a second listen, spinning disc 3 now, and that is a cool Estimated Prophet, may be one of my favorite versions, for the moment at least. That Eyes is no slouch either. The whole show has a nice flow to it, glad to have it.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Sorry Oro...loved it man, just wasn’t sure how to add to it. Don’t worry though...took notes and already been shopping for some Italian leather boots and a pink paisley vest. I already have a hat that will work and plenty of GD T-shirt’s. Maybe some nice cutoff Jorts would complete it 🤔

On that note let’s cut to the Chiefs parade....some folks up in tree tops, just lookin for their...oh fuck...ouch!!!!

https://twitter.com/cantdeal_/status/1225094427217141761?s=21

Don’t worry, I’m Ok!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I think I have you all beat. Our vcr had a connected remote too. But it was only one slide switch to pause the movie. That's it. Ha

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I was not the driver but I had a front row seat. I reserved a hotel room down there last Thursday so we could get up early and walk a couple blocks to get a spot. We were directly across from the Sprint Center in a primo spot at the front of the rail. Saw the car speed down Grand 10 yards from us. The tires were already spike by that point and you could smell the burning rubber. About 10 cop cars sped after them and finally rammed them before they could plow into anyone. Miracle that no one was injured! Really crazy to see....later got to see the Super Bowl Trophy held up right in front of me. It was an awesome day.

Congrats to niners fans on a great season as well!

We did here some funny rumors about the guys driving the car. One said that the car had a Raiders bumper sticker. Another meme with a picture of the culprits “Bill Belichek and Tom Brady in full game day regalia”

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

I'm thinking this show reminds me a lot of 4/2/73 from the Gahden. Its strength lies in consistently solid versions of song after song rather than one singular epic jam. Its been great to listen to here at work, jaunty and upbeat, whereas sometimes really spacey Dark Stars are lost on me when I can't zone out properly.

Also: PSA tonight on the Relix Youtube channel there is a free webcast of Voodoo Dead. New Orleans funk meets the Dead songbook. Where has this been all my life ?

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I agree with you. That was my first thought on the dap 33 sounding similar to 4/2/73. Even w/o an estimated.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

JimInMD, I'll need some instructions, cuz this goddam GPS I bought just will not produce meth and cocaine!

How do you dial that up? It's not like I haven't been trying....

Yer frend, Chief Smoking Rubber

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Resin IIPA- 9.1% alc. 103 IBU. actually really good brew. Tall thin cans too. Smells like a pine tree in a can.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Is that what they charged me with?
Crap.
Don't tell mom.

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

✋ hi folks! Did anyone notice something fishy during EOTW at the 5:31 mark? Perhaps it's a chunk of tape missing. I don't really mind, it's just a curiosity.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I heard that too. Good ears on eyes. Strange but subtle.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Erikandjenn

Relix free livestream of Voodoo Dead. I always liked Steve Kimock, great lineup. Also Jeff Chimenti is a keyboard god.

Rocking shakedown.. into a soulful and Bluesy Sugaree now. Check it out. Bill it to my account.

https://relix.com/live/livestream-20200206-voodoo-dead/

p.s. don't drink milk on schoolnights. oh, the horror.

but seriously these guys are playing really good. ...anyone out there that likes to party and has not been to Marti Gras? One word.. JazzFest. Oh.. some qualifying information, food = great, cops = bad. Music = heaven-sent.

Hell yeah. Listen to Jim, he's a wise and thoughtful dude. Put your internet machine on that link and watch these guys.

After Sugaree they did a long Funky Meters jam and HOLY FUCKING SHIT OPHELIA WHERE HAVE YOU GONE ?

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Erikandjenn

Scroll back through the posts on the DaP 32 page.
Prior to the creation of the DaP 33 page someone (I don’t remember who) asked about how the splice that was on the cassette tapes would be handled for this release.

It appears that you have found the first hint.

user picture

Member for

6 years 3 months

DeKalb might just be my favorite Bertha. Never heard it sounding better either.

In the immortal words of Oroborous, a Bobbie Dazzler. I have a few favorites, one being Englishtown. This one is good.. a great show, and very glad it FINALLY came out.

Love the Eyes of the World that's blasting on my big screen right now. When it comes to GDead cover bands.. you really need two lead guitarists. Just my opinion. More dead = Good.

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

After Midnight. Slow and funky. The way that God and JJ Cale intended it to be. So good.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Shwishywood

....amarguitar has a pretty cool YouTube channel.
https://youtu.be/nRN5nIm8cTs
....yeah. it's Phish based, but the dude knows his shit. He puts out pretty awesome docs. At least Phish is playing the West coast this summer. Sorry. Some salt over here.

I would be surprised if they don't do a little redux tour towards the end of the year. I mean.. I think the last E Coast New Years show was in 1969 or something.

I would be disappointed if they didn't do a West Coast annex.
Plus, I want to go to the Gorge.

Good to see you. Hope you are well!

Bertha, yes, this one rocks!

Check out the Dead YouTube video release of the week from July 1990. A glimpse into future releases?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yo! Jeff Smith! I got the artwork downloaded for Dave's 33 from in your drop box, thanks! greatly appreciated! i already listened to this on a bootleg and it was a great sounding boot from charlie miller. i'm looking foward to listen to a proper remaster soon. i still need to listen to the Giants Stadium Box set. yeah I'm quite behind for sure

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-33.html