• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Come and join the party every day.

I believe we will all be singing and dancing together again.

It's right and It's healing.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Please. 82...85...

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

How could I forget those? The most fun of all. 86 were much better shows, with 12/30 being a top five show for me personally. 89 shows were O.K., but more fun.

When you got your tickets, the band included a flyer with a list of hotels. We were in Dennys with a bunch of other heads waiting in line to use the pay phone when this guy walks up and asks if he and his buddies can have a ride. We explained that we just flew in and had no idea where we were going. “That’s O.K. Neither do we. My name is George and I know my way around.” Sure why not.

We drive to the first hotel which was in a really bad part of Oakland. Nobody even wanted to get out of the car. George says, if you guys trust me, I know this great hotel up in Berkeley. Again, why not. Turns out this place was really nice and a block from the BART which dropped us off right at the show every night.

So George walks up to the front desk with his long hair, ripped jeans and tie-dyed shirt and demands the military discount, claiming he lost his card. After some back and forth, the manager relents and gives him a room for the night at some ridiculously cheap price. Like $30. So we check in and George immediately calls the front desk. I’ve changed my mind. I’d like to stay for a week and I need a dozen towels.

To George, Russ and Clarke from Oregon. Never saw you guys again, but thanks for all the laughs.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I know we have spoken about the Visions of Johanna on here before, so good from Spectrum in 95, something made me want to listen to the 33 minute version of In the Midnight Hour from 9/3/67 Rio Nido... I played the lights out of this CD traveling around for work in my rental cars!! Never forgot one... (Can't say the same thing about 9/28/76 Orange tango jam CD, still pissed).. I think I wanted to listen to this now that i think about it because of the Lovelights from Big Rock Pow Wow... bob t

Hey now, I read this thread often but haven’t posted for at least a year and a half. I super psyched for the new Dave’s picks that’s about to land in our mail boxes. Actually most excited for the bonus disk, as a China - Rider lover this version has always been one of my favorites.
A few days back the thread discussion was about when your first show took place and how that influences what era you like best. Well, first off, I love it all, but my first show was the Hartford ST. Stephen show from 10-15-83 and 80% of my GD listening Is from 68 to 74. I love a great 80s or early 90s show when the mood strikes. It’s a shame the 80s weren’t better recorded because I would more releases from then, but sound quality does matter.
Anyway, like all of us , life For me is pretty tipsy turvy these days. I lost both of my part time jobs six weeks ago and now I spend my days helping my two kids( my user name Annalee is my daughters name ) with their online school work. We are lucky in that my wife has a good job and can work from home. My income usually went to the kids college funds, concerts, cds, vinyl and box sets. I was thinking about getting the 76 box but not now in these times. I started thinking I could sell a few cds that I don’t listen to that often to finance the box, but it didn’t feel right. I thought maybe I would do something cool for someone who could use a smile.......so if you have lost your job or have been deeply negatively impacted by what’s going on out there, be the first person to pm me and if you don’t already have it, I will send you the bonus disk that came with the Winterland 73 box, it is from12-4-73 In Cincinnati. I will let you know tomorrow......CHEERS!!!!

user picture

Member for

5 years 8 months

At your service

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Dick's Picks 31 arrived here yesterday, finally picked up a copy from Real Gone Music - you can get it new on Amazon starting at $483 or pick it up new from Real Gone for $57, what to do, what to do... I've been meaning to get this for a while, but the ridiculous prices at which it was offered deterred me, so when Real Gone re-released it I was pretty psyched, fills in one of the last gaps in the DP series for me.
Between that and getting the shipping notice for DaP 34 this evening I forsee some '74 Dead in my immediate future.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I was just watching altamont and was wondering where you were. Did you sub. to Dave's this year? This dap 34 should be a great one with a bonus disk from the night before and a sweet China/rider. It seems to be less people posting lately. We all definitely need this crisis to end so the meet up at the movies can go on as planned w/o masks.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

Any of you have this release?

Heard early show earlier.

Tasty

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Pretty sweet Charlie. One of the best 74 releases to date. Sound quality is so good, it surprised me first time I heard it.

Maybe Dave's 34 will be better?

Interested in hearing your thoughts on your new acquisition.

Hey Carlo!
Be well folks.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

A sleeper.. In my humble opinion, really fucking good.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Hey DeadVikes, JiminMD, glad to hear the resounding endorsement of DP 31, it always seemed that when it was discussed on these threads it was given pretty high praise so I am psyched to give a listen. A needed bright spot in these weird times. Looking forward to getting DaP 34 as well, I suspect these threads will pick up a little when folks start getting their copies.
Annalee10, cool gesture, seems like a good time for us all to give a little extra thought to extending a little kindness to those around us in this time of extra stress.

I really enjoyed reading your post Annalee10, and I hope you get back in the world of employment as soon as.

I think you are right not selling cds to finance buying the 76 box. In the late 1980s I decided to finance buying L.Ps by selling ones I already had. I can't remember what I bought, but I can remember selling Live At Leeds by The Who-with all the inserts, Kick Out The Jams by the MC5 and a super rare triple album called Glastonbury Fayre-which included an excerpt from Dark Star at Wembley 4/8/72, as well as all sorts of super cool booklets, cardboard cut outs..and a model geodesic dome. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

What a show! From start to finish, this one really shines. Minglewood Blues is smoking , so is the jam out of Alligator into Cold Rain and Snow. Dave, let's get this whole run out there in its entirety, 5 shows, one box set. It would sell out in a flash!

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Billy The Kid - yeah if these are all Ladies and Gentlemen refernences from 4/29/71, which I
think they are, that Cold Rain & Snow has one of those great one time only intros, and my favorite Alligator. New Minglewood is pretty much the only released prehiatus version. I listen to this in a mix almost daily. There is one more from 5/15/70 that's hard to listen to Bobby shred his lungs on.

DP 31 - Jim, Charlie3 & Deadvikes- Nothing like a '74 Peggy-O or China Cat. Eyes, Scarlet & Playing arec given I suppose.

2-11-69 Stoltzie - one my firsts. Had TFTV already but figured I needed Hey Jude. Really baked my noodle not hearing lyrics to The Eleven. Love Schoolgirl.

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

Morning, rockers!!!

Feel like poking the bear this morning...........

4/29/71: good but not great show, pales in comparison to the previous evening. I'm with Latvala on this one----one of the great overrated shows of 1971................

Guess I'll get back to work. Yes, my office is considered "essential services" lol....................

Rock on, fellow fellows!!!

Doc

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I also had a ball that weekend at St. Pete in 88, what a blast, all the streets were closed that weekend due to a formula 1 race that was going on the Monday after the shows, and what a blast, all the heads, camping everywhere, doses galore, heads on bicycles selling doses for 3 bucks a hit, pretty girls everywhere, Bobby's birthday for the second show, just a ball. Also a fun time was the weekend in April 91 at the Orlando Arena, 2 shows scheduled, so much fun they added a third show on Monday, what a blast, like going back in time to the 60's, cops on horseback with flowers and paisley, heads everywhere, great doses and no hassles at all. My most fun show was the Gainesville show in Nov. 80, what a blast that lot scene was, partied so hard, never got into the hall, but they piped the music out to us in the lot, how cool was that, what a trip. Thank you to the greatest band in the world, miss you Jerry, would give everything for another night with you. Love

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 6 months

Anyone else get a shipping notice and USPS still shows "Currently Waiting On Item"?

Usual shipping paranoia coming on strong so hoping it's just a glitch in the matrix, along with everything else happening.

Thanks to all commenters who have been keeping me sane and providing great links, show suggestions, and artist recommendation.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

And very cool offer, Annalee. My neighbor's daughter is named Annalee because of The Weight . . .

Sixtus, I cannot imagine too many things I would rather do than play a round of disc golf at your new course with all the people on this board.

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

I am seeing the same thing on USPS. I pasted the tracking number into UPS's site and it says it's In Transit and scheduled to be delivered on Saturday. Maybe try that and see.

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

I sent you a PM early this morning. Hope you received it.

Can always get the answers if I ask the right people!

Worked a charm, scheduled delivery 5/2.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I didnt like this release at first. I grew to like it. Then hearing the early show in the car yesterday on my daily drive-about in my "bubble car" (social distancing) really got me interested.

I am reeeeeally loking forward to hearing the late show :)))

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Giving away a '73 bonus disc instead of ebaying it for $$ is indeed a beautiful thing to do. I rec'd a copy from a friend. A great year for the band.

I did sell -- at cost -- three Dave's Picks to almost finance the '76 box and it didn't bother me. I may have something like 300 Dead shows in various formats and thousands of CDs of jazz, blues, rock, singer/songwriter, etc. At rational listening levels that's too many years just to hear them all. Not to mention the parade of incoming music. So I've lost the edge of "having it all," for sure. Of course I'll scoop up any new Jimi releases -- and they will be forthcoming. I'd be happy to receive any Roy Buchanan that I don't have. (I have a lot.) Add Dylan, ABB, (imagine semi-long list here).

So I was lukewarm about a few DaPs and realized it didn't matter to me that they weren't in the collection. OF COURSE, I COPIED THEM BEFORE SALE!! So I'm not celebrating my character or maturity here, both of which are in short supply. I'm just sayin' I didn't need the official version gathering dust and that '76 box was so worth it. Going to return this week to 6-10-76 for a near-term re-listen, which I typically don't do. I like to listen once, trip out on the show, and put it away. Then at some other time in the future, it all sounds new again.

Got a DaP 34 shipping notice, which is odd. They usually arrive after the discs have been delivered. I do not believe that I'll be parting with the incoming show...

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Does anyone else on here think they should add setbreaks to the Shakedown Streams? I know other webcasts being shown have 5 or even 10 minute setbreaks added in the middle. I know they are showing this stuff for free but I don't want to miss any of the music!

Also, 6/11/93 was an incredible show!
Dave mentioned that might not be the best show of the tour? Opinions anyone?
I listened to the 3 night run at Deer Creek from 93, some really great stuff there, especially night two, but none quite reach the level they reach at 6/11...

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I hope to God that there getting all the video ready for The Dead Video Download Vault. I don't think much will be in the way of DVD or B-ray Disc media.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

The course is open!

I just shot a full 18, finally came out one under par. Honing my chops. And, of course, GD is brought outside on the portable Sonos and blasting in the driveway.

I can deal with sunny quarantine days when my work calls have ended by 1230....

Be Well All - and come to Sudbury for some disc!

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Not necessarily talking about video. Anything that is on archive is good for me. But thanks FourWinds, I'll check out 6/6/93 next.

Stoltzfus, both Eugene shows pretty good?

Narutlee, pausing wouldn't be the same. Me and all my friends that I know are watching wouldn't be able to pause at the same time. Its not a big deal either way...just think at least 5 minutes in the middle would be helpful towards preserving the vibe.

Also, really enjoying everyone's stories about most fun and best shows. I'm pretty jealous.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Also Dave said when the Giants box was released that he thought that there were good shows going forward that could be released but didn't think they fit the box, maybe because it's not multi-track.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I would really love to know what you think.

I newbie we took with us came out of 5/5 thoroughly unimpressed, 6/6 he came out with a smile as big as his face.

ps. I don't know if HCS was planned but right before the show started the Sun came out.

Perhaps I should say, I wasn't denigrating the 76 box when I suggested it wasn't a good idea to sell what you already have to pay for it...I was just thinking of records I had sold in the past to buy whatever...and then gone on to regret having sold them.

Sometimes it must be worth getting rid of the old to make way for the new. The Europe 72 box, for example. Worth selling your spleen to get that one.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

That's interesting about the Giants Box! I think I remember him saying that now. I could see how they wouldn't quite fit though. Without hearing them, I'd still say its probably be hard to top both of the 91 shows. I don't know though. 6/11/93 was pretty damn magical.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by mustin321

....i believe one of those was my 50th show, or pretty close. I DO know for sure that that's the show where bobby had issues with his guitar and proceeded to do a pretty decent Townsend impersonation back stage by smashing his axe during (Angry) Jack Straw. Was on the floor and saw it with my own two eyes. Nudged the people next to me and pointed, "You guys seeing that?!". If you listen to it, that's why it's a longer, angrier version lol.
Indigo Girls opened and they were pretty good too. Those were also the shows where i saw the most naked people, for the record.
Huey Lewis sat in for a couple songs and they also busted out a pretty sweet H>S>F.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

1991 I only saw 6/16 , but yeah they were better shows. This was a good show for '93 end of Uncle Johns and Playing will melt your face. DRUMZ too

My only Berth> Good Lovin and Attics.

Edit: It sounds like they were teasing The Other One and Dark Star Space at the end of Playin Jam.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

So only two people have pm me with interest. It turns out these two fine gentlemen have not been deeply negatively affected by the virus more so then the rest of us. I made the offer of the free cd hoping to put a smile on the face of someone who is having a really tough time, maybe you have lost your job or a loved one. I think also if you or your spouse is working on the front lines of this pandemic then you deserve this cd if you don’t have it.....I will be checking my messages.😀

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I saw 9, Giants 6/6 was the best Freedom Hall 6/15 came in 2nd.

Nine I saw The two Giants, two freedom Hall, three Deer Creek, two RFK.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

8/21 good
8/22 great (I can still see the _waves_ of energy flow through the crowd during HSF)

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

....and yes, there were waves of energy in the crowd during that H>S>F. We were straight back, half way up the stands and slightly stage right for the second day. I recall the stage during H>S>F turning into a castle and boiling pots of oil pouring on the first few rows of the floor during Slipknot! pretty damn vividly as well.

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

Thanks for recommendations! I'm most of the way through 6/5/93 first set now. Sounds like a pretty decent show so far! One thing I want to say about 6/23/93, I was a little bit worried about the back to back Vince and Phil songs in the 2nd set...but those were great performances! and of course the Terrapin and whatnot after was pretty great. Also, not really a fan of Phil singing a bad Robbie Robertson song, but that was a fine performance of Broken Arrow. Its nice to discover there were so many good shows hidden in the first half of 93. I never got to see any shows, so I don't know. Ive had the Cal Expo Road Trips for a long time, but I like every show ive heard from 93 more than that release. The Ken Nordine show is epic. 3/25/93 is a solid show. 3/27/93 from 30 Trips is obviously great. Maybe I just bought Cal Expo 93 RT too early. I wasn't ready for it yet. I'm ready for it now!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html