• 2,197 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Bolderdash
    Any sub/bonus-disc versions that are unnumbered?

This is kind of an odd question but I am wondering if anyone is aware of the existence of subscriber versions of this (with the bonus disc) that are NOT numbered? The reason I ask is because when this was released, my order got utterly lost en route, and so I contacted Dead.net for a replacement. IIRC, the title was already sold out, and yet I got a replacement with the subscriber bonus disc, which made me happy. I had been so anxious to hear an official version of these shows that by the time the replacement was sent, I had already obtained the digital audio files from what may or may not have been nefarious means.. So I kept my copy sealed. Then, lo and behold, months later my original order shows up at my door, and in one piece too!

But I've been hanging on to that replacement order for years now, and since times are especially tough in my house, I'm considering selling it for whatever the invisible hand of the market decides its worth. However, I can't discover whether or not it is a numbered copy without breaking the shrink wrap. So back to my question - are they any known *unnumbered* copies of this or any other DP entries that shipped with a bonus disc? I've also heard of people collecting the unnumbered / promo copies, which seems weird to me (it's not like promo vinyl where there are sound quality reasons to want a white-label promo).

On a related note, I received another unnumbered copy, this time DP 49, in February, and Dead.net replied to my inquiry in record time and sent out a replacement via FedEx lickity-split. I've also had a few vinyl orders that shipped out FedEx as the default lately. Good on them for (finally) upping their shipping game!

• uncle_tripel

...thanks for passing on the photo's from Jai-Alai from your friend, just looking at them as I load up disc 1 for today's LET IT ROCK n roll show. Sending MANY healing VIBES your way!

PEACE ALL!
    uncle_tripel

• uncle_tripel

keep'em comin', more '74!
    celebrating 50 years!!

uncle_tripel

• icecrmcnkd

Yes, it was available for $28.98 last Thursday.

9-8-73, -2-23-74, 11-2-69/12-26-69 still available.

• icecrmcnkd

I think that 6-23-74 was just available last week as part of the warehouse finds.

• OpenYourEyes
    Please re-release this one or make it available digitally!

See subject.
    Such a shame that these great releases get locked away or only available to those who can pay super inflated prices on the reseller market!

• Forensicdoceleven
    You are the music while the music lasts......

DEWAJACK check your pm..............................

Rock on,

Doc

• daverock

I often look on Discogs site to see if there are second hand box sets that I am looking for. I can't say I have ever bought a Dead show from them-and those I have looked at don't come cheap. But I have found bargains by other artists-so it's worth a look if you haven't checked them out before.

• dewajack
    Default Avatar

Long time Dead listener. I've purchased Dead shows on and off through the years, but have missed the boat on many great shows officially released in recent years due to life's demands. Last item I purchased was "Get Shown the Light." I was wondering is there anywhere to buy sold out official Dead releases for a reasonable price anywhere? I get on eBay and about pass out when I see the prices listed for individual Dave's Picks. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Forensicdoceleven

Well, finally got my stuff, not exactly what I asked for but it'll have to do. Better late than never, I suppose...........

Nothing left to discuss here, let's move on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doc
    Gratitude is when memory is stored in the heart and not in the mind

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"To my ears, the best Dead shows are those that not only fit the criteria that make them amongst the best of a year, but that are also completely unique for their era—shows that fit perfectly into their year of performance, but also fall somewhat outside of the norm for that year. Harpur College, Veneta, Cornell, Cape Cod, and Augusta are all shows that are objectively excellent, and if they are not the best from their respective years of performance, they are certainly unique. Miami 6/23/74 falls into that category: not only one of the very best shows from this outstanding year, but also one of the most interesting and unique. It’s certainly worthy of many, many deep listens." - David Lemieux

¡Ándale, ándale! ¡Arriba, arriba! We're back with a hot one from Miami, F-L-A. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 34 features the complete show from the Jai Alai Fronton, 6/23/74, one with unparalleled sound quality due in equal parts to the Wall Of Sound and the beautiful sonic clarity of Kidd Candelario's tapes. The first set is chock full of dynamite takes on classics like "Ramble On Rose," "Mississippi Half-Step," and "Cumberland Blues." The second set delivers on the JAMS - one leading into a gorgeous "Ship Of Fools," one rare instrumental version of "Dark Star," and a "Spanish Jam," this is Miami after all! The show also offers up a "first" and an "only" - the former, a Seastones set featuring Phil and Ned Lagin and the latter, the sole Grateful Dead performance of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock."

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.34: JAI ALAI FRONTON, MIAMI, FL 6/23/74 has been mastered from the 7.5 IPS reel-to-reel tapes to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. ¡Agarrarlo mientras esta calientito! (Get it while it's hot!)

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Subscribed to Dave's Picks? With this release, you'll also get a bonus disc with selections from Miami 6/22/74. Excellente!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Credits say it was McGinn that did the mixing and, was recorded by Cutler mastering - David Glasser

McGinn was Bobby's sound man for Rat Dog.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

UPS Now says Dave's Picks is in Bridgeport New Jersey and still says delivery today?? Friday Mat 1st
Called UPS and they said still has to go through two more places before delivery??

Looks like Saturday or Monday

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I get those two brothers mixed up all the time. ha

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

I might have maligned Talk Talk earlier but when I saw them they sounded a rather typical 80s synth group. I’ve heard from others that they were better than when I heard them live. I liked early Genesis when Gabriel was with them and so a live one-off reunion was not to be missed. There was a sense of fun and some seriously good prog music which I’m not ashamed to say was the soundtrack of my twenties years - including more jazzy prog like Soft Machine and Caravan especially. Didn’t like the later more ‘pop’ version of Genesis though.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by frankparry

They were another band I saw early in my gig going career-in early 1973. They had just released an album called "Fox trot" and the show opened with a very dramatic "Watcher of the Skies" from that album. They also played their opus at the time, "Suppers Ready" which took up all side 2 of Foxtrot. The other album I had which I liked was "Nursery Cryme". I liked their surreal, slightly sinister faery tale vibe. But I never saw them again, and never got any of their later albums.
Actually, the gig I saw was later released as a live album-"Genesis Live".

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

in Saint Paul, Minnesota. It's here!

Debating whether to listen now, whilst drinking Jai Alai IPA, or wait until the 6/22-23 anniversaries, and continue my trek through E72 this month . . . (still need to finish 4/26/72 AND 4/29/72 before the Paris shows . . . )

p.s. I listened to a few minutes of the bonus disc, then a few minutes of D1 of 6/23. Great sound, especially Billy.

p.p.s. No sign of GarciaLive 13 yet . . .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Thanks! Great England/festival stories. Never been, but from what I gather English weather mixed in with festival conditions doesn’t sound like fun. Experienced some real storms over the years at shows; Woodstock 94, Toga 84, 85? Alpine 89, 6/30/95, the cold snowy night before the Oxford 88 shows, several Red Rocks post Garcia shows, but the prize for scariest/dangerous conditions has got to be last years D&C at Folsom field....that could of gotten extremely ugly, and many people could of been hurt or worse. Luckily the hail didn’t get too big, and the temperature didn’t drop more than it did...
Woodstock 94 was crazy mud etc, luckily I was working and we had a rented house nearby so clean, dry, shower etc makes that shit almost fun. Toga 84 it poured, especially right when Jerry leaned into “rain into a rainstorm” in Bertha. I swear the whole place surged and the already insane energy level went through the roof...definitely had to be there. It was also warm out, so that and Pittsburgh 95, the crazy weather actually improved the show! Remeber some cold, foggy, swirling Red Rocks shows (Dead, Furthur, Phil??) can’t temember which, but the band stepped it up big time for those too.

Phil Collins: LoL. now, always makes me think of a Trailer Park Boys! Never been a huge fan, except Brand X Moroccan Roll, awesome album!

1st of May: here it is first of May, so outdoor fucking starts today! Or as my late Mother in law would say, “hurray, hurray, it’s the first of May, outdoor screwing begins today” LOL. Nothing like hearing a sweet, little old 80 something year old breaking that line out with a big grin every year, May she Rest In Peace!

Looks like my 34 prolly not arriving until Monday, and going to have to make death run to PO.....oh well, “nothing comes for free”...

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Vguy & Holly - What a talent. Still hate that I missed her when she was here in Dallas. Love her in The Everyone Orchestra.

Frank Perry & Genesis - I agree. I always thought Gabriel was the brains behind Genesis and think his work after was better than Genesis after. I can smell the tar and see the feathers from here. But I think Genesis without Pete was Garfunkel.

DH Brew - FYI GarciaLive in Texas, but I bought from Amazon.

Orobo & 34 - mine says Monday, got a feeling might be Tuesday. Last update had it in UPS hands at 5 this morning. If they don't give to USPS today, they will not hand off until Monday, since they don't work weekends at UPS. USPS will get it here, day they get if by 5 in am,, next day after if they get after 10am.

Still entering "shows I've been to data, I saw Oroboro and I were at a couple of shows together. I looked at your avatar, but don't remember seeing you.

I hope this don't make me scum. But here's a link to a nice piece of glass at a great price if so needed. Love mine.

https://hossglass.com/products/y307-7mm-mini-perc-with-color-reversal-1…

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Dennis

Check PM and email.

Oro, I still have that album.. it's a cutout. Agree.. and in all my years, this is the first I have ever heard anyone mention it let alone knew it existed.

People should begin getting #34 any minute now.. Any news?

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

That was the lullaby my daughter requested before bed, pretty much every night from age 7 - 11. Willow Farm's a bitch to sing. Butterflies and flutterbyes and gutterflys - you're all full of ball.. but I gave me it my best and she enjoyed it immensely. While lyrically abstract, the fairy tale overtones shoe through, which I guess accounts for a child's interest. It's been relegated to Easter now, Supper of the Mighty One. Probably my favorite album side piece of prog-rock. I was lucky enough to discover it in the Spring of '93, perhaps five years after everything else 70s prog hit my ears.

Daverock, you are a lucky man indeed to have seen the original Genesis . Selling England by the Pound was also excellent, and probably Steve Hackett's apex with the band, which is saying something, given his contributions on Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot, but it's that good. IMHO The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was both figuratively and literally their White Album: a double LP with 3 top-shelf sides of music interspersed with an album side of mediocre fare (The Lamb even had a character named John with a number 9 stamped on his forehead).

But yeah, Supper's Ready; there's one that will leave you wondering who the MVP is - nothing like it.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just in time for the weekend! Bonus!

I got high 11K's, too...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 1 month

Apologies if this is already mentioned, but at the end of the liner notes, DL mentions briefly the source of the photos contained therein. And in the credits it says photos courtesy of ForensicDocEleven. We know him, we love him- Thanks Doc.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I believe it's a stretch to say Gabriel was the brains behind Genesis when there were four other guys in the band who composed the music. We're not talking 3 minute pop songs either, but progressive rock and roll. Yes Gabriel was the primary lyricist and yes Gabriel was an extraordinary frontman. But he had 3 1/2 virtuoso musicians behind him who wrote all of the music, and it takes more brains I would say to write the kind of music they wrote then to write the kind of lyrics he wrote. I would certainly say he had equal ground with the other 3 1/2 guys in the band (lol I just can't call Mike Rutherford a virtuoso, but he was a multi-instrumentalist, and an adept musician). And Gabriel certainly got the most attention from the critics because of his frontman antics . But Hackett, good lord what talent he had and what originality he brought to their music and the guitar itself. Tony Banks is easily the most underestimated musician in progressive rock. He filled in gaps with 12-string guitars when he wasn't composing some of the most memorable keyboard Melodies and solos in progressive rock. Banks was also involved with the writing process from the very beginning. He didn't just augment a song that had already been laid down by somebody else. And Phil Collins was a premier drummer with perfect timing who could play anyting the song required and sing harmonies. I'm not sure exactly what Rutherford brought to the band or if it was replaceable but like I said he was an adept musician and four-fifths of one of the best prog rock bands to grace our times. Phil, Tony, and Steve would have made it with a lot of bands and those days, the Gabriel required their talents to elevate his own. I think it's fair to say that when's Peter Gabriel left Genesis his solo career was not as good as his career with the band, the band wasn't as good without him, and Phil Collins solo wasn't as good as the original band. I like Gabriel too but just know them too well to say Gabriel was the brains. Like most great bands it's the whole that is greater than the sum of the parts and that is the case with Genesis.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Zuckfun

My tracking says delivery today, but this afternoon the package was still in a neighboring state and hadn’t yet been handed off to USPS.
I think that there is still a good chance that it is in my mailbox tomorrow.

That’s grate that people are starting to receive theirs. Also grate that Doc was able to get those photos to TPTB. When this release was announced he said he had photos to pass along.

....getting his due. As it should be. Helps even out the skewed axis of the current world.....at least here it does.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

It's great to see that you put your money where your mouth is. Great job and cant wait until I get Dap 34 tomorrow to see your pics.. everyone, cheers for the doc.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 7 months

Dave rock I think I saw Genesis play at the Queen's Hotel in Westcliff-on-Sea (part of Southend) in November 72. I say I think because I only have the vaguest memory of it. I went to the Queen's every week, I was 13 then and they would serve me beer and there were wonderful bands (all B Listers, the A Listers played at the Kursaal Ballroom in Southend) , it was a wonderful place, demolished many years ago to make room for some flats.
Genesis played the next night at the Lyceum if the internet isn't lying to me which ties in nicely here.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by Nick1234

Started my day today with the China - Rider from Dicks 19. Never met a China - Rider I didn’t like, but I love this one and most from 73 and 74. The 8-27-72 Veneta might be my favorite though, it’s such a ripping version.
Hopefully Dave’s 34 and bonus hits the mail box today. The China- Rider on the bonus disc is one of my all time favorites as well.
I wish I was a headlight...............

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

But I have successfully entered all the shows I was at, whew!

Easy to say Notes to Marye, but I don't know if she be the one. Maybe who ever is the one can fix/update.

First when you go to archive section for the shows, they are a day off. When you look up the show, let's say 10/9/75. It shows that date, but when you go into that date, it's the next day. So if you were at 10/9/75, you need to look up 10/8/75.

Worst part though is ALWAYS having to start from the top. If you went to a string of shows, 10/1-6/89. You have to go back to 1965 and come forward again, versus having a "next show" button.

Or you could make a section where you paste in a word file or what ever (excel my buddy likes) that you create on your own. This way you always have. If dead.net/warner/rhino/whoever owns this site updates or crashes you can lose all that data you entered, versus if you had your own file you could copy right back.

Just some thoughts for tptb. I know all this programming stuff cost money to do and why should money be spent on this.

But my shit is in!!!! (I did copy it all and put it in a word file, but unless they change it to accept that type of input, I will NEVER reenter that stuff, huge PIA!)

And I did see Oroboro name at a chunk of the same shows!

There is a search button on that page. So if you entered a year and hit search, it would jump to that year, so you didn’t have to keep hitting the forward button. Once in a certain year you still have to hit the forward button because they only display a few shows per page.
Yes, a very antiquated system that must have missed a leap year or something. Also, 3-22-93 Omni is listed as Oakland. So, it would seem they hired an intern to enter the info.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Weighing in on Genesis, I'll take the pop/rock version that gave us Home By The Sea, Abacab, Mama, Paperlate, Misunderstanding etc. Good pop songs that still hold up. The arty/farty Gabriel era totally loses me. Was so disappointed when seeing them on their last major US tour they didn't do one song off Abacab but found time to waste on Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

I think with Gabriel-era Genesis, the fond recollections are better than the reality. As his presence surged as a solo artist, folks looked back and marveled at how great he was in Genesis, when the reality is, it wasn't all that great. I do think his best work came post-Genesis as a solo artist, where, ironically, he mimicked what his old band was doing in focusing his musical concepts into tight, radio-friendly pop songs that brought both massive commercial success and critical acclaim.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Funny--I've had "Home By the Sea" stuck in my head ever since this Genesis discussion began! :)

One thing is for certain, in my mind: Genesis was a collection of very talented musical artists, and they delivered, regardless of which version of rock you were listening for. They created some magical prog rock, then put forth some tough straight-up rock, then produced a string of radio-friendly pop hits. Something for everyone!

But, I have high hopes for Monday.
No worries though, nice weather this weekend and I will be outside a lot. Will play 5-2-70 tonight when grilling and beering.

I like early psychedelic live Genesis, I got the Genesis Live CD in the late 80’s and still have it. That’s the good stuff. Also have live Lamb Lies Down from I think 75. Carpet Crawlers is my favorite song.

Also have the 10-30,31-73 video on DVD, it’s on YouTube too. In that video you can see how Gabriel was focused on showmanship as part of the show/story. But that’s how it was at the time, look at Bowie at the same time.

I also like late 70’s Genesis, And Then There Were Three is a good album. By early 80’s MTV had gotten a hold of Genesis and the style changed, but they still made some catchy tunes. Then Phil made a solo album that rocketed him to stardom, due to MTV. Peter also used MTV in the 80’s, I believe he got video of the year for the song whose name I can’t remember, something-Time.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Squonk.

Saw them in 81 hoping to see them play that live. Was fed a heavy dosage of Abacab instead. One and done for me.

In Your Eyes, remains the best of any of the solo efforts, IMHO. Even before John Cusack made it popular.

I do give Cusack credit for turning me on to the Beta Band though.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Abacab and Duke were the albums that I was first exposed to from Genesis, and they are still the two that resonate the most, although some of the stuff from the next Genesis album also really clicked, particularly the aforementioned Home by the Sea. Abacab was in regular rotation on the Walkman for the ride to school in the morning and is still pretty much etched in my brain. Lamb Lies Down on Broadway is also a highlight for me, one time soundtrack to the fading hours of a memorable evening.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Nick1234

Nick G...sounds great seeing bands at that venue you mentioned. And in that timespan, around 1972 you must have seen some great bands.

Keith-I liked your Suppers Ready story. That was the track, alright. Came from a time when side long ( ie one side of an L.P) songs, or tracks were the thing. Many, many bands of the time did it...with mixed results, it has to be said. The aforementioned Soft Machine and Caravan, Yes, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd come to mind. Mike Oldfield's albums featured suites covering both sides of the album. For 5 minutes Tubular Bells looked like the future of rock. Enter The Ramones. Suddenly it wasn't.

Ledded...it would be impossible for me to say whether the early bands I saw were only accorded greatness in retrospect, or actually were great at the time. T.Rex, Bowie, Genesis, Hawkwind, Sabbath...they all seemed great live at the time, but I openly confess, at 15, my critical acumen was literally nil. They were great nights out, I'll say that much. I still like those bands now ( not so much Genesis), but I think its fairly general for people to think that the music they heard in their mid teens was special.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

DP34 arrived on 5/1 in St. Charles, IL. Unbelievable sound!!! Haven't listened to everything yet, but so far it is spectacular. My wife never got on the bus, so I have private listening sessions when I crank it up and shake the plaster.
Thanks for a great pick Dave.
Since I'm sheltered in place for awhile. I have the opportunity to follow every E72 show on the 48th anniversary date.
Big fun. Tomorrow it's off to Paris and then the remainder of the tour in chronological order. Have a Grateful Day.

Dennis: setting that up was definetly a lesson in convoluted nonsense, but good job mate! Yasss, looks like we were at 16? of the same shows...great minds think alike eh 😉
Oh, you may have missed me as I often was curled up under the soundboard!

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

...I mean it's not like I'd be buying a boatload more CDs during a global pandemic, right? But, I mean, I do want Garcialive 13, and that only makes sense if I pick up Garcialive 12...and wait, Willie Nelson Stardust for less than $4 bucks? That doesn't even count, right? Well, that's it though, drawing a line in the sand. Wait, is that all the soul music I have? Seriously? I mean, this is an emergency, some of these things are almost out of stock on Amazon... And you know, why not just surrender and pick up DP 32 from Real Gone. But that's it, for sure. I can quit anytime I want...

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I think he got an award for Sledgehammer.

I caught him maybe 2 or 3 times. The tour the live album was covering, one with a spinning cage and a bicycle one. Had GREAT seats in a small amphitheater, about 10 row center. Don't know how the sound was on the grass or if he could fill a big place, but the sound for us was past incredible.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

And he's crying in a loud voice......

Yeah, Gabriel had such a great distinctive voice.

I'm sitting in my driveway drinking a black and tan waiting for the UPS guy. I had gone for a walk past my buddy Dominic's house. Let's just say Dominic became a friend from a friend about 20 years ago. Much partying happened. We both stood up in my the common buddy's wedding. Two years ago he moved up the street from me. I don't get out much anymore and I've had to turn down a lot of invitations. I mean what can I do - the guy has a fully stocked bar, million inch projection TV, pool table, poker table. I'm trying to leave that life style behind me. His house is on my walking route. I always wave when I go by, whether I see him out there or not. Lately I've been seeing him a lot because everybody is quarantined and I've been walking a lot. Passing his house on the way home, he came pulling up next to me on his leaf blower tractor. I explained to him the reason I kept looking at my phone was to see if the new Grateful Dead CD arrived yet. Then I just asked: "you got a weed lozenge?" Then he looked up and said "is that it?" Across the street there is a UPS truck pulling out of my neighborhood. He said yeah I've got two left hold on a second. Talk about my lucky day. Now I just need this CD to arrive. Its 5 o'clock. It says it's going to be here by the end of the day. I already took a lozenge. It is a beautiful sunny late afternoon. I just need the CD...

Dave Rock you're blessed indeed to have seen Genesis on the Foxtrot tour. Selling England by the pound was basically the same thing except they played Selling England by the pound too. But yeah the whole Karn Evil 9 by ELP, and Tarkus. Yes probably had the most album side pieces of music. Too many good ones to choose the best. I got into Tales From topographic oceans in 10th Grade with a buddy. We thought we were something just for attempting that feat. Some great moments in there come but I understand why it caused Wakeman to leave the band. Actually I don't. If he left before the Tour I would have understood. Bill Bruford gets most absurd musucian award for leaving on practically the eve of the Close to the Edge Tour. That would be like David Lee Roth quitting Van Halen after 1984. Shit like that just doesn't happen. At least Mick Taylor quit the Stones as they were descending the mountain on the other side of the peak. Still a nutty move. Just keep hammering away for your due in the song credits. I can't imagine the pangs of regret he must have felt over the years. He rationalizes it by saying he would have died if he stayed in the band. I guess that works. I don't drink much anymore, and I definitely haven't been on the weed for a while, so you guys might be in for a babble Fest while I wait for this CD to arrive.

There's a hot mom walking down the street. Here comes her husband from the other direction. There's maybe a 2 year old kid following about 20 feet behind her. Kid stopped at the end of my driveway and is just staring at me. Husband caught up to her. Hot mom just said the kid wants to sit in my lawn chair. I told her he's more than welcome, this is only my number two occupation. Husband and wife laughed casually and moved along. Not Dead fans.

I've had Dark Star => Sugar Magnolia => Caution from 4/29 on the headphones. Are there better Cautions? I already listened to Dick's Picks 8 once today already. I forgot how good the Viola Lee Blues was. After 30 Trips Around the Sun Came Out I pretty much always goes straight to the shrine 1967 for Viola Lee. Was I supposed to take both lozenges? Too late now...

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

So Dave’s 34, #13,642 hit my mailbox in Georgia yesterday, I’ve made it thru all 3 discs and am now on the bonus which is insanely good. Phil is destroying his bass on Eyes of the World, bonus might be better than the other show. After working 4 hours in the yard my 61 year old body feels nothing but pain but ibuprofen and Dogfish Head is gold. Yesterday our mall reopened after being closed for a few weeks so I went there and bought the Beatles White album on vinyl just because I didn’t have it and I wanted it and I hadn’t been out much after getting laid off from work in March. Today I bought a sixer of Dogfish Head American Beauty Pale Ale, needless to say the music sounds better the more I drink. Hope all you guys and gals are all doing ok!

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Even though he's got a vendetta against me, I'd like say thanks to forensicdoc.

Hope it's not too much of a spoiler, but the color photographs in DaP 34 were provided by the good doctor.

One of our own -- if I may be so bold -- provided pics for this release. Check it out for yourselves.

Thanks Doc -- don't hate me too much!! It's not good for your health. And if you're autopsying covid victims, I sincerely hope you stay well and safe. Really bro.

Cheers everyone!

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

#3686 arrived in Anne Arundel County MD this afternoon. Have only heard first 2 discs. Of course it sounds great, but my interest really was piqued beginning with Seastones. I’m one of THOSE guys, who like to listen to weird, experimental stuff quite regularly. I love when a set begins with a jam, just so unusual. It sounds at first as if it could have gone towards He’s Gone, but quickly changed direction. I love the Ship Of Fools, maybe a favorite version (well, it is the last one I heard, Jim). Even Big River sounds good, and I’m SO tired of that one. Of course, Black Peter is fantastic. Never heard a bad version. Looking forward to discs 3 & 4.
On another front, been a big Genesis fan since the (later-post Gabriel) ‘70’s. It didn’t take me long to get caught up on the 5 studio albums I missed. I really like most everything up to & including their eponymous album. Never really liked any of the hit singles too much. Saw the band a half-dozen times or more, saw Gabriel at least that many times. To try and keep this as brief as possible, I’ll just share 2 thoughts.
I found from early concert days, that it was foolish of me to expect a lot of “the old stuff”, and to not expect “the new album + recent stuff”.
Secondly, my experience is kind of the opposite ledded. I found that if I liked a band early on, I tended to get tired of them after a few(anywhere from 3-6) albums, generally speaking. If I was late to the party, I rarely looked back in wonderment at how great they were back before I “found them”. I definitely rued missing great shows, but liking them late in the game never caused me to overblow or overestimate the greatness of their earlier years. But then, I guess I’m just a different kind of cat.
Time to put on disc three.
Stay healthy all!!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-34.html