• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm getting Dave's Picks subscriptions to get complete shows regardless of the length of the show and I'm pretty sure this is the root of some of the disagreement here. If you are getting this to get as many minutes of music as possible, you're going to have a different view than if you are getting these just to get a complete show with each release. Personally, I haven't picked up several of the compilation Road Trips just because the compilation model doesn't really interest me at this point. I can't explain why this particular eccentricity afflicts me, but I guess you just dig what you dig, no need to overthink it and nothing against those who enjoy the compilation model. When I listen to the Dead it is almost always either a studio album or an entire show and any filler is typically just a distraction for me. Again, if you like the filler, don't take it personally that I do not. If this is an occasional thing with Dave's Picks it will be a minor inconvenience for me, and if it is a regular thing then it will diminish my enjoyment and interest in the series. That will mean more copies for those of you that do dig that format, so no harm done either way. You can chalk up my lack of interest in burning copies or programming the CD player every time that I listen to something to my Luddite tendencies.

As far as the fact this is an '84 show, that doesn't bother me a bit, I'm looking forward to having another show from '84 and as always, when I listen I'll know how much I like it. I'll take a full show from whatever year Dave Picks, that is not at all an issue for me. I don't know what makes someone a seasoned deadhead or not, and my guess is that 20 different deadheads will give you 20 different answers (isn't that cool?), so I'm not sure how enthusiasm for this release or the manner in which the filler was added correlates to someones internalized deadhead hierarchy, but if it helps anyone, feel free to think of me as a bad, bad deadhead for my criticism of the filler choices on this release.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

First I must state I was making a general statement after opening up this board for the first time and reading all 10 pages from stem to stern, for good or for ill. I’m sure I was reacting to a general vibe I felt (so that basically meaningless “I” ) I in no way meant any individual and especially not you! Your a long time favorite and often a voice of reason here.
In fact, I agreed with everything you said except the part about your not dead enough? I especially enjoyed the 20 DH’s will give you 20 different answers. That’s the shit I love and miss!

So to all I should clarify:
the “issues” seems to be
1- complete shows verses chop jobs
2- too much “dead” space
3- sequencing of said complete shows

Like most things there is not going to be a perfect fit, so the topic becomes how to achieve all of the above, or if not possible?...what then?
My clarification is complete shows (wouldn’t mind having to miss say one song if it’s a extra great show), but if there’s extra disc space, perhaps reasonably add extra material, especially in example, 9/2/80, which Dick said was all there was, and why he used it as filler...as far as sequencing, we’ll that’s probably more the issue, and it’s probably really contingent on how your listening. And that I’m not touching with a ten foot pole as how you dig something should be whatever is best for you, imho...

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

No worries Oro, I didn't see anything objectionable at all about your earlier post, just made me think there was probably a fundamental split in what people hope to get out of these releases, and I like posts that make me think, so thanks. The back and forth on these threads sometimes leads to exposure to different insights and sometimes some pretty funny shit. Which begs the question, where are the jokes lately? I'm talking to you Vguy72 (but in a totally nice, hey dig your jokes kind of way, not in any way to make anyone go all Travis Bickle on the situation). And don't be afraid to provide an explainer along with the jokes, took me a day to get the Thermos Tat joke. But I really enjoyed it all the more when I got it. Been on a serious time crunch lately, so my listening time has been pretty limited, but I am looking forward to the 2/21/71 show. But yeah, the mood around here lately makes it seem like we're in the middle of some sort of global pandemic or something...which would seem like the perfect time for some humor to me.

Edit: And thanks for the kind words Oro.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Yeah, what’s up with the jokes dude?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

These 3 nights are great but the magic shows from that spring Tour in 84 were the second in Hampton and the Niagara Falls show. Those shows are amazing! The whole Spring tour was an amazing! People say that Jerry was off . I have to say that the Heads danced their butts off kicking down the floor seats and singing their lungs out! This was my favorite tour. Lots of love for the band and each other.

user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

I couldn’t have said it better, but I feel the exact same way.

user picture

Member for

12 years 7 months

Does anyone else have any issues seeing the description, track listing, & comments on a pc computer? I can obviously see this info on my iPhone, as I’m posting this now, but I can’t see any info for any of the products on Dead.net on my laptop.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

I can't get to 'Comments' via the main 'Product' pages either (I tried unsuccessfully on Dave's 34 & 35 and WMD). It didn't matter if I was using Chrome, Firefox or Safari on my MacBook Pro – the links on the main 'Product' pages don't work – all that loads is the product image, Listening Party, Dave's Backyard Chat and dead* links to 'Description', 'Product Details', 'Track Listing', and 'Comments'. Weird. . . guess they'll get the links fired back up at some point. Onward.

* That's 'dead', not 'Dead' ;-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

rolls over into a discussion thread. This is normal. And you can get back to the product listing with the link at the top left.
user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

So glad to see a show from a new year in this series! I had to play Augusta ME 10/12/84 to get the vibe going. Thanks again Dave!

I’ve had a few days where posts don’t show up right away, and one night I could post on one board, but not another, but couldn’t edit....and when I can go to the store and go to say Dave’s Picks for example, I can see comments, track listing, product details etc, but when you click on any of these nothing happens...

I have (obviously) been able to access this board by going to dead.net, not into the store, and community>>products>>Dave’s 35 etc...oh, I’m using an iPad if that helps/matters?

Thanks for your help as always!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Sydney Prentice

NICE!, look out senator, there’s a new hired gun in town....he’s a real clucker!
I know, weak sauce! Lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Truckin79

Tell us more...
We were at 4/16 & 17 in the front row, but due to extreme Vegetable protein don’t recall much....think Niagara’s Falls was hot but don’t remember much of Rochester and haven’t really checked these out yet....
Where you there and if so what do you recall?

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I had the same experience, the tabs for track listing, product details are there but nothing shows up under the tabs when I clicked on them, checked on my phone and everything worked. Hadn't checked back since it happened a day or two ago, but I just checked again now and had the same issue. I thought it was just me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

That's right. If i click on the Dave's Picks icon and get to the product page I see the 'Description', 'Product Details', 'Track Listing' and 'Comments' tabs, but if I click on any of them nothing happens.

The way I can get to the chat is to click on the thread directly from the homepage, under the 'Grateful Dead Community' section.

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

"Someday they won't let you, now you must agree
The times they are a-telling, and the changing isn't free
You've read it in the tea leaves, and the tracks are on TV
Beware the Savage Jaw...of 1984"

But I digress....

Cued up 7/3/84--Starlight Theater to catch this 84 wave, and when Scarlet Begonias appeared I was like "alright, alright, alright...little Scar-Fire to add some boogie to my dull day"...but wait....,was it??..... it was....The Boys squeezed "Touch of Grey" in between for an unusual Scar>Touch>Fire. Sneaky good shit, I must admit.....

https://archive.org/details/gd84-07-03.aud.willy.14909.sbeok.shnf

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Diamond Dogs...first 8-Track I ever bought...weather in a packed car full of friends and smoke, or at keg parties hidden deep in the woods, we wore that mother out! Good times.....

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Yes Rochester was amazing right out of gate with Shakedown and like you the whole tour was dosed! I have listened to Niagara and still to this day one of my favorites. The Morning Dew from the second night at Hampton is killer. All the shows from Philly where excellent. Jerry looked bad but he played incredibly. I loved this spring tour.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 8 months

I was there at that show!!! about 15 people back from the stage!!! still truckin!! lol

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

...am ecstatic for this release. This is why I subscribe. Been waiting for This era to get tapped since Dick's Picks and From The Vault. Jerry's health issues aside his guitar playing was often transcending during this period.

On a side note was listening to the bonus disc from this years Jai Alai release. That PITB has everything in the jam. Goes from melodic, to minor key jamming then a brief subtle moment that suddenly becomes a crazy jam based on the chord progression similar to a heavy Slipknot type vibe into some melancholy wah wah back into the Playin theme. I think I fell in love with this version.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by RobbZ

Good times indeed ! Coincidentally, a few weeks ago I bought the red vinyl copy that came out on RSD last year, and it sounds amazing in that format - better than the recently remastered cd.

user picture

Member for

9 years 9 months

Thanks Mary! Website's workin' real good once more – existential free fall averted. . . Onward.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 11 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Been enjoying this show on the archive since this release was announced. All this talk about spring 84 has sent me on a mission to dive into more shows from this era, which reminds of the old days when listening to one show would send me down a rabbit hole of discovery. Would be really cool if one release per year was dedicated to the early-mid 80s.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

Ok I take it all back; I see now that these were designed with a zippered stash pocket in the tongue. Ingenious - that would have come in handy in the frisk line back in the daze.

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

Is on the way! Yeah!!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Dont forget the kangaroos high-top of the 80's with the hidden zippered stash pocket on the side kangaroo logo.

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

https://archive.org/details/gd1984-07-21.112806.beyer-senn.daweez.d5sco…

Shakedown Street
Little Red Rooster
Althea
Me and My Uncle
Mexicali Blues
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider
Looks Like Rain
Might As Well

Cold Rain and Snow
Far From Me
Truckin'
Eyes of the World
drums
The Other One
Stella Blue
Around and Around
One More Saturday Night

Touch of Grey

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Agreed, whats the deal with the hairy shoes? What if we had to enter a sweepstakes to be eligible to buy Dave's picks, or the next box set? I know that the shoe culture is huge in this country and people pay insane prices for limited edition shoes all the time, but surprised that dead culture has abutted that. C'est la vie.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Now there is someone who knows a bit about shoes.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

It's a real joke that they cost so much.

Just a pair of shoes. How does anyone have the nerve to ask prices like that. The evil face of greed and capitalism.

Think how bad you would feel if you stepped in dog shit whilst wearing them.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

for the hairy shoes?! I feel like such an idiot. Here I've been collecting limited edition shows and box sets, but the money was in the shoes the whole time. It's like when Indy has to find the holy grail in the last crusade and you think its going to be the gilded one with all the jewels, but no, its the crappy plain cup over on the side behind all the cobwebs.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

.....I've seen some of their shoes go for a lot more that that on ebay. In the end, they're just shoes. The only shoes i would ever purchase that are over a hundred bucks are Birkenstocks.

Last 5 favorite shoe songs:

Walk a Mile in My shoes Joe South
Travellin' Shoes Little Richard
Blue Suede Shoes Sid King & 5 Strings
These Boots are Made for Walking Nancy Sinatra/Megadeth
High Heel Sneakers GD

I don't know about you guys, but thanks to Covid and my work from home situation, I haven't actually worn shoes since march. Strictly flip-flops.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by 80sfan

Right. Remind me what shoes are again.. it's been a while.

As for pricing, ski boots can get a little pricy.. but I am guessing in Vegas you might not know what I am talking about. You can sub birks for flip flops in 80's post for me too. And river booties I guess..

user picture

Member for

4 years 3 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H1z45jVlM34. One of my favorite songs, I have never seen Fats Domino, Jim I believe you saw him. I was told he couldn't come to Calif. for some legal reason, don't know if that's true. My brother played this song on his radio show for a friend who passed to early back in 1981, that's what I relate this song to.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html