• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

What is this Egypt 1978 stuff that is showing up???

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Does anyone know how to access the list of Bear’s recordings?? I’ve tried, but perhaps you have to kick in the $400 first. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I hadn't noticed the Egypt '78 merch until Chuck pointed it out, but it does seem like they're putting a dead logo on everything that they can think of from Axes and Aprons to Shirts and Shoes. Grateful Dead Leatherman Wave? Cool tool, but nothing I would have thought of on my own.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by Chuck

....'Rocking The Cradle' was released some time ago, encompassing some pretty good stuff (lookin at you, bonus disc) from their Egyptian Great Pyramid run in Fall 1978...hence the merch tie-in, assuming. The offering came with an accompanying DVD, which I actually don't recall ever watching although I'm sure I did at some point. The DVD also has some 'home-video' snippets of the trip from the band, which apparently will also be aired tonight.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Yes, the bonus material on the DVD is them touring Egypt and riding on a boat on the Nile. Bill Walton is on the boat with them.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 1 month

I think I was supposed to get DP #35 but got 33 instead! I already have 33 and 34!

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

My Dap 35 has been sitting in Fontana for 3 days. No movement whatsoever unless they just stopped scanning it.

So you got Dap 33? Wouldn’t that be the all time new low at dead.net if everyone was sent Dap 33 by mistake? Unbelievable

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I’m with VGuy - pass. This new business model of copious amounts of Dead branded stuff reminds me of the old Get Smart series, where Max discovers The Craw’s Dry Cleaning business is merely a front for the nefarious deeds of Kaos. Substitute “spy network” for music output, and “laundry” for all this Dead swag, and they have it nailed:

Bobo:
The spy network is just a front. The real money is in the laundry.

user picture

Member for

5 years 4 months

I've still not received Dap 34...

UPS status update hasn't changed since the 3rd day after I got my shipping notice back in... (checks email).. April.

Thought I'd give it time given the world's situation.. but this is ridiculous. Why can't we get a proper shipping system?

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

If you haven’t done so already you really need to get marye involved. At this point, she is the only one who can help you remedy this situation

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Ya know, I'm really starting to dig these Friday night Shakedown Streams...

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by RobbZ

....sounds and looks pretty damn good to me.
edit. Marye does get it done.
1978 > 2020.
Never met an Ollin Arageed I didn't like.
Edit squared. Happy Birthday Jerome John Garcia. 🍺

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

I for one love the performances ,not their best but still packed with grateful Fueled Cosmic-magical Energy! ! 🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

7/31/74: Great show that meanders into some great pockets of mellow Dead. Listened to it yesterday and today. The audio could use The New Norman. This '74 show sounds more like DP 7 and 31. Plangent, Cogent, whatever it takes. Things have moved along - just listen to Jai-Alai, 30 Trips, and the '74 shows from the Pacific Northwest box set.

And now into 8/1/73. I have only the bare essentials: Bird Song, Dark Star, Eyes of the World, and Morning Dew. That'll do it.

8/1/73 - also reportedly the last time Jerry played the Alligator.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I have to say I love the Shakedown Stream. Dave L. and the crew once again get my thanks and gratitude for giving us these shows. Plus the pre-show is great with all the guests. I love hearing all of the stories. Last weeks pre-show with David Crosby was great and I got a laugh with his unexpected early exit.

Now Rocking the Cradle...so back when this was released in 2008 I was fairly critical of it. I was passionate about this band and the shows that got released. I am still just as passionate, but back then I was misguided. One of my issues with Rocking the Cradle extended into the newly initiated Road Trips at that time, which had to do with the lack of complete shows. My stance has changed 180 degrees on the complete show debate- I prefer them but do not demand them.

Yet the bigger issue with Rocking the Cradle, and I still stand by this, is that the Egypt shows, albeit a momentous occasion, were not very good musically on the whole. I feel like that release came to be due to 2008 being the 30th anniversary of those shows and of course the location of the shows being so exotic. I felt that there were better shows that could have been released back then.

Looking back from the weird year of 2020, I not only changed my stance on the Road Trips series which I love, but Dave L. and company have given us so many great shows since 2008. Between all of the box sets, Dave's Picks, bonus material on reissues, and 30 Days of Dead we have been given a plethora of better shows since then. I think if Rocking the Cradle was released in current times, I would be way more interested in it. Yet in 2008, and not having that elusive Tardis, I didn't see the future so I did have my objections. Seriously who would have thought that we would get all of these great shows? I remember thinking that getting a complete run or tour, say Europe 72 for example, was impossible. I was wrong...happily.

Now I do own Ricking the Cradle, as I picked up a used copy a few years ago. Its not a show(s) I turn to often but I really like the video material from it.

Coming back full circle, next week's Shakedown Stream is going to be the last for a while. I am a little bummed but as we know, all good things come to an end at least for a while. I have got used to it and along with Phish's and Dead and Co. Tuesday and Saturday streams it has made things better in the twisted year we are stuck in. As always, I am grateful for all of the great music we have been given.

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

Why do we get tracking that does nothing for a week. While we wait with no updates, etc etc. Just wondering thsts all .

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

rb et al., send me a PM and I'll get the Doc on the case. More generally, I don't know what it's like where you live, but in my neighborhood in Oakland we haven't had a mail delivery for two days, so quite a number of things seem to not be working correctly in these weird times.
user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

big happy birdday to jeramiah jeremy jerry garcia junior the third

once in a while you get shown a lite in a stranger place if you look to the rite
- francesco franklin zappa

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

The orange thing in The White House has told the Postmaster General who was appointed 6/15/20 and is an ardent supporter of the administration, to sloooow things down. His 1st attempt at derailing mail-in voting? I'm not getting political but thought all concerned might like to know why things are/may be running late.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by DaveStrang

....because the future of the United States of America is on the line. This is bigger than the latest Dave's.
Seriously. Vote early.
This is not a drill folks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Grateful Han, agreed, these streams are great. I watched most of Egypt last night and was really impressed. Tonight I watched the pre-game and was really blown away with how eloquent and expressive Mickey is. So sharp. His memories of '78 are great. Thanks so much Mickey.

I know its somewhat unavoidable and I don't pretend to be a spokesperson for the community in any way, but I personally would encourage people to focus their political thoughts on other outlets. For sure let your family and friends know how you feel about whats going on in the US these days and what needs to happen in November. I just don't want the conversations here to degrade into the partisan morass that I see in so many places. This site is a refuge of sorts and I don't want to have to leave it.

I respect differing opinions and everyone's right to speak freely here and anywhere. I just personally would like to associate this forum with the dead and their music and not politics.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I fully agree that politics and political discussions should be saved for fora that exist specifically for that purpose rather than be aired on here. However, in the current viciously divisive situation in the United States where seemingly every issue, however trivial, causes bitter division along political lines it is difficult to avoid politics completely when discussing why people believe things are the way they are right now. It is sad to see a country tearing itself apart, but that is what is happening.

It is always interesting to hear the points of view of others on here and this would be a poorer place without that but it would be appreciated if politics could be kept out of discussions as much as possible. We have all seen what getting political leads to on here and it isn't pretty.

Your chance is coming, however. If you don't like the way things are, or indeed if you do, then get out and exercise your democratic right to vote. As Vguy said "the future of the United States of America is on the line". Apparently you will then get the president that you deserve. Of course it isn't that simple in this day and age, but we are all aware of that sad fact.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by simonrob

I wouldn't have thought advising people to vote was controversial politically. Its not as though advice was proffered on who to vote for.

I haven't noticed Dicks Picks 26 on vinyl popping up at any UK outlets yet. Eyes peeled for that one.

user picture

Member for

16 years 7 months

Mine has been sitting in Fontana ca for the past 5 days. No scans, no updates, no movement.

Edit: the problem doesn’t seem to be the post office. The problem seems to be with UPS Mail Innovations

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Shipping notice appeared on 07/31 but UPS don’t recognise the tracking number yet. I’ll be happy if the album turns up at any point in August.

Bear’s Sonic Journals - Commander Cody
Folklore - Taylor Swift
Never the same way once - Doc and Merle Watson
Music for 18 Musicians - Steve Reich
The topography of the lungs - Evan Parker

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

...I don't know, sounded like a suggestion of who not to vote for, which sounds like taking a position on who to vote for in another way. I see a lot of political statements on here that people don't seem to consider political, maybe because it is an expression of a political viewpoint with which they agree. Certainly when I criticized Joe's drug war legislation in a response to a drug war post it was perceived as political, Slow Dog and Jim were quick jump on the post as inappropriately political, so criticizing Trump (we all know who the orange one refers to) about a political accusation related to an alleged attempt to steal the election seems at least equally political. Have to say I feel better seeing that Slow Dog at least is discouraging political discussions pretty much without regard to the viewpoint. I mean, I love to talk (argue?) about politics and am always willing to throw down if someone wants a debate, and I have a dim enough view of most politicians and a thick skin so I doubt you'll hurt my feelings, but I notice some folks do get pretty upset when confronted with a different viewpoint than their own, so I generally make an effort not to inject politics into these threads. Not that I'm always successful. But if you are going to excuse political comments with one viewpoint, don't pretend it is the politics that bothers you, at least admit that it is the expression of a political viewpoint with which you disagree that bothers you.

No one likes politics, but.....“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro”
“If every Deadhead in the state of Florida had voted in the 2000 election, it, would be a very different world today”
HST

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

In reply to by adedhed68

Same

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Seen this bumper sticker on a car parked at a local trail head yesterday...

"Weir On A Mission From Bob"

A little Blues Bros/Dead humor.....cracked me up.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

How did HST know that all the deadheads in Florida didn't vote in 2000? Are deadheads politically fungible, sharing identical political viewpoints throughout the vast pool of individuals who are deadheads? Is it a political group not a group of fans of a band that stayed pretty consistently non-political throughout their career? Would all the Forida deadheads have voted the same? Are you not a deadhead if you don't subscribe to a particular political ideology? When I first started hanging out with deadheads, one of the things I liked was the diversity of opinion and thought, and a tolerance for differences so it seems odd to me to think of deadheads as a homogeneous political group-mind. Maybe I was wrong.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

Is really killing the vibe here, at least for me...let's try and keep our focus on the lighter side of things here...I know that many of us have very strong opinions regarding the crazy times we're in, I'd love to see more comments about the Daze Between stream than about this b.s. that will blow away...

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Most discussions on here are welcome, as long as there’s no rancor involved. But I generally prefer music based topics. I love to get turned on to music I don’t already have. McCoy Tyner’s Sahara was the last awesome thing I got from these pages.
I only followed the tracking on a Dave‘s once. It was so frustrating that I now just wait to be surprised. Based on when other folks get their copies, I’m generally not in the first wave, but usually in the 2nd or 3rd wave. That’s fine.

Last 5:
Monkees-Headquarters
Zappa-Finer Moments
Iron And Wine-The Shepherd’s Dog
Dixie Chicks-Gaslighter
VA-Divided & United, The Songs of the Civil War

If I want peace of mind, I never discuss politics

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

....and for that, I apologize. Now excuse me as I gloss over the lyrics to Throwing Stones.
I made my statement ambiguous on purpose.
Be safe. Be smart. Be brave. I love you all. I fare you well and hope the four winds bring you safely home.
This is not a drill.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

...I just stumbled across Bear's Sonic Journal: Commander Cody at the Family Dog Complete Set...seems to ba a download only of five nights at the Family Dog...the tracks that were bonus tracks on the prior two disc set are now full blown complete shows...also it seems to be in Hi Res only...a little over 5 hrs long...will probably grab it next week as I blew my allowance yesterday on the Criterion Collection "Godzilla: The Showa Era Films '54 - '75" Box Set....Also, Hey Dennis!...thanks for the Pokey video...he's always a gas...I especillay love when Chloe Feoranzo joins his band on her clarinet...and speaking of organic tunes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUoIQ1UGDxg

later instigators...

I apologize to the community at large for any political references I made regarding delivery of DaP35.

The mail is being slowed down; Marye herself stated earlier on this thread (8/1) that Oakland hadn't had mail delivery for 2 days...so before contacting her or condemning Rhino/USPS/UPS Mail Innovations, maybe allow an additional 1-2 weeks for delivery? longer? End of FYI. As further apolitical evidence I offer a Last 5.

GD / Related:
1. GD - DaP34 6/23/74 Miami, FL
2. GD - 5/26/77 Baltimore, MD
3. GD - 10/8/89 Hampton, VA (Formerly The Warlocks box)
4. JG - Don't Let Go: 5/21/76 San Francisco, CA
5. Kingfish - In Concert: 4/3/76 NYC, NY

Other:
1. Jason Isbell - Reunions
2. John Cale & Terry Riley - The Church Of Anthrax.....which led to
3. Africa Express w/Damon Albarn & Brian Eno - Terry Riley's 'In C'.....which led to
4. Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting....which led to
5. King Crimson - Red

Approximately 5-6 years ago a fellow poster on a DaP thread highly recommended the 'Africa Express' album. I took them up on their recommendation and was amazed. It's since become a 'desert island' favorite. A hearty 'thank you' to that person.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

I got the email on 29 July. Checked tracking for couple of days said not received yet. Today I checked it's in SLC transferred to usps. They don't have a tracking yet. I'm thinking next Thursday. Be patient
As I'm in the transportation industry I've worked strait through. Between short staffing due to illness, those refusing to come in etc. Things are much slower and tracking can be haphazard. Give it time. Some countries just shut down their deliveries

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html