• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Vguy72
    What do you call a Christmas wreath made of $100 bills?....

....Aretha Franklin's.
    I remember goonie birds very well. Or do I?

• LedDed

Gooney Bird was my first acid. Our friend Todd hooked up me and my then-girlfriend. I was 19. It was unforgettable. The door to the universe swung wide open, and thank God it has always remained open if only a crack at times.

Dude - this John Zorn is awesome!! Nothing like Slayer. Sounds like Yes/Crimson on steroids with good production values and I love the nod to YYZ they keep throwing in on the turnaround.

Ah, the cool stuff just keeps on coming. Thanks y'all.

• JimInMD

To Jeff, one of the most helpful people here.

• Sixtus_

Thanks Jeffsmith....that worked. for some reason the comment link still doesn't show when I load the page; perhaps I need to cookie purge.

Onward, indeed!

Sixtus

• JeffSmith

https://www.dead.net/forum/daves-picks-volume-36-hartford-civic-center-…

Onward, ;-)

• Sixtus_

...page is up, but I'm not seeing any comments section - is that just me?

Sixtus

• Mr. Ones

Keith's first show, and as usual, DAVEROCK is spot on. Fantastic show. I particularly love the first set Comes A Time & Casey Jones. The second set blazes all the way through. VERY impressive for a first gig. It's part of the "Yellow Box' that was available through Amazon UK for quite a while. May still be, I'm not sure. I think I got 10 shows(30 discs) for about $26.00. You just can't beat that.
    29 minutes until #36 announcement/sale.

Music is STILL the best!!

Edit: We WILL know 37 at the time of early bird (hence the reason to buy, buy, buy now). We MIGHT know 38 just before pre-order is over. But we do have to wait for 39 & 40 (you know, the late '70's or '80's shows).

• proudfoot

nyuk nyuk

• daverock

Rollicking good show. One of the best of 1971, and you can feel the door opening out into 1972.

• mcgrupp216
    Default Avatar

Ah, thanks. Trying to remember, so we won’t know 37 during early bird sales, which ended Nov. 18 last year. Looking forward to 36 details!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

In reply to by snafu

It just landed in SF mail depot I think maybe Wednesday. Notice 29 July arrival ( hopefully) 5 August. Not to shabby concidering

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I had a great serial killer story too. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a message board for that one?

No seriously, if there is a spiritual vibe that holds these message boards together, it's the music alone. That's the common link, not politics. Plenty of places to air political opinions on the internet; but this is a board that works some magical good vibes by bringing people together to memorialize tie dye draped amplifiers, American flags, reefer smoke fog clouded stages, Pigpen cowboy hat silhouettes, and everything else that makes Dead Freaks Unite.

Sure, nobody can stop you from writing what you want about politics, but that doesn't mean the majority came here to be dragged down by it. Nobody's lacking for political info or POVs and there are always going to be major clashes of opinions in these waters. It has nothing to do with, censorship; it has to do with preserving good vibes and escaping the 24x7 bombardment of political conflict we receive through social media. At its best, this site has been a great escape from all of that. We've made this site a portal into the Dead's peaceful music and message of the past - why piss on our oasis?

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

DAVEROCK, quite eloquently expressed, and I concur. A post can't hurt me if I don't read it. Actually, it can't hurt me if I DO read it, unless I allow it to. I find the best way to put down an unwanted discussion is to ignore it completely.
And for my Maryland brother Jim, I totally understand your feelings also. You don't come on here looking for non-music related posts. Nor do I, but I guess we can't police ourselves as well as we would like.
I try to ignore unwanted posts, or at best, see them as a comical diversion(you can translate comical as ignorant, if you like).
Just hangin' out, waiting to see when my Dave's might show up.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Yeah, we probably can't censure everyone's posts when they veer off into left/right field. You can ignore 'em for a while. And when was the last time bumper sticker banter changed anybody's mind anyway? Still every now and then somebody's got to ask the passionate, persistent, political wonks, as Keithfan so eloquently put it, "Do you REALLY need to piss on our oasis?" Really? . . . Onward.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 8 months

Anyone experience this: I got the CD collection and, while importing it into my music library, there was no metadata on the CDs. That meant I had to manually type in every song's name, the CD name, artist name, etc.

I don't know if this was fluke or a quality control issue. I hope someone can look into this so future releases don't have this issue.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

I think my dog would take the treat as confirmation that barking at the UPS truck was the right thing to do.

My dog likes the mailman, but maybe that’s because he carries dog treats in his mail truck.

CD’s don’t come with metadata.
Someone has to type it and upload it to the internets.
Sounds like that person is you.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Frost ‘82

Bob says “Don’t forget to vote yes on 10”, or something like that.

Anyway, as Homer said, “don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos.”

"My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball. But tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!"

-Kang

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

actually received Dave's Picks 35 yet?

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

After Winterland closed down, this was the first show at the Oakland Auditorium. I ended up seeing a lot of great shows in this place.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Did you ever upload album art for DaP 34 or Workingman's for that matter? Anything else I'm missing? Just wondering... :-)

Stay healthy and sane all! Jeff

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by wilfredtjones

has arrived my home in Germany today. 18 days after shipping!!!!!!!!
Garcia 13 took only 14 days!!!!
DaP????
35 is not moving
G.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hey WilfredT, Yes, I did post a link a while back, but posts tend to get buried pretty fast around here. Here is a link to all Dave's Picks Covers (1-34) plus Dave's annual Bonus CDs:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qx5j9ydoc7bzm8z/AAD8yK_vCv_kQ-oLkLJQVCEla?dl…

As soon as my Dave's 35 shows up, I'll scan and add it to the same link – USPS has been assuring be for days that they're "Currently Awaiting Package" whatever that means. 🤪

BTW: I didn't try to scan the Workingman's 50th lenticular cover, but give me a minute and I'll post a link to what I have for WMD, Angel's Share and 2/21/71.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Since that forum is now, um, dead, I ask here, despite this being the DaP 35 thread:

So I listened to the remastered WD last night. Great details I hadn't heard before, and some imperfections that made it an even better experience. But I couldn't help but notice on several tracks (not all) that Garcia's voice is heavily processed, ala Aoxomoxoa. It's got that reedy, compressed nitrous sound to it. Never noticed that on prior mixes/releases, so I'll go back and check.

Anyone else notice this? This pronounced sound treatment on Jer's voice came close to marring the tracks I heard it on. I think High Time is an example.

Also, what's everyone's notion on whether we're seeing another box this year, apart from DaP 36 and AB 50th?

And does anyone expect the OSF to release that 12-31-69 tape it just announced?

I will need to listen to WMD again to listen more closely.

AB 50th: 9 20 70 with 9 19 70 filler!
Dave's 36: a 68 show!!!
Box...I hope one gets released. My wallet doesn't need it, but I do. Summer 85!
OSF and 12 31 69: I certainly would welcome that. Legal issues might pop up, though.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 4 months

FIRSTS
1st Althea
1st Sailor
The Tiger
8/4/79

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hi,

I'm currently waiting on my own UK shipment of DP 35 (and Dap34) as well as Garcia Live 14.
If anyone else in the UK can send me a PM can we discuss import charges?

As said before, this will surely come out next year, not this.

I'm a bit luke warm about the boxes-the duty and import charges etc. are extortionate, and it seems a bit hit and miss when/if they will even turn up. I'd keep my fingers crossed and go for one from 1966-1969, and maybe 1972, but I'm not sure about the other years.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

I don't read these threads on dead.net as much as I used to or post as I used to in the last several years.
But I WILL post "something political"

VOTE:
I *vote* for Grateful Dead as my favorite band because of:
1.) 05/15/70 complete;
2.) 09/24/88 complete;
3.) 06/21/89 mostly complete;
4.) 12/29/77 mostly complete.

You may vote for:
a. ) All four shows;
b.) combination of any four;
c.) none of the above candidates;
d.) just tell me that I have no idea what the Grateful Dead were about even after many shows over 20 years for me;
e.) any individual show;
f.) Pigpen is dead;
g.) all of the above letters;
h.) all of the above.

Thanks

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Born Cross Eye…

I would like everyone on this forum to pray, or, will positive vibrations into The Universe for this: The soundboards are found from The Radio City/ Warfield/New Orleans Anniversary shows and matrixed with audience tapes and released as boxsets. "I have a Dream!"

I think a moment of silence is in order.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

In reply to by proudfoot

Ah, a man after my own tastes. Except wishful thinking on '68 as a DaP -- the shows were too short, about one disc long, so Dave would have to pull (3) '68 shows to make a DaP.

And I do not believe there would ever be "legal issues" between the OSF and the GD. You know the OSF is Owsley's son and Jer's daughter is on the board. So OSF and GD are sympatico. I'd bet my GD collection there isn't one member of the GD who wouldn't give the OSF permission to release a GD tape.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

They could have preserved that recording by handing it over to GD to get it Plangentized and Normanized. Then full on commercial release under the BSJ banner. GD would still get royalties.
But we would be the real winners.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by hendrixfreak

Ja, gerne.

Re GD and OSF:

My cynical streak says. "Money is always an issue."

But may I please be mistaken, Lord.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

ups took 2 days to move cd's 10 miles :-)

Post office got it today, so it's coming tomorrow, yeah!

Got my Dicks Pick 26 vinyl today from Real Gone, number 360 of out 1500.

Now where did I put that turntable......

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

I would imagine if they are going to put another box set out this year, they would have to do it pretty quickly . They still have AB 50th coming out in Sept or Oct, Dave's 36 in Oct, and two box sets PNW and 1976 that they are trying to sell out.

You said it. Living in the Bay Area with a friend in the office I got to see all Greek/ Kaiser, Oakland aud/ SF Civic etc. They all had their benefits but even though some of the mid 80's shows at the Kaiser could be weak the venue was big fun. Plus I was lucky in that my friend hooked me up with back stage. One time the ABC was pissed at Bill so they said he couldn't sell Beer back there. Ok fu it's a private party and the beer and wine are free. Thank you Uncle BoBo

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

...anatomical reference to Cats (Under The Stars)....is the current state really such a surprise given This leading tone what seems like an " " Eternity" ago?

If this Touch of Grey has a "silver lining", hope it's a good one.

Debating the positive merits of 80s Dead with people who hate 80s Dead seems so trivial now...if only musical taste was the biggest worry.

Glad everybody still posting is safe.

....my 35 went from Carlsbad Ca to SLC then back to Fontana CA. It's actually fascinating.
This is why checking tracking stresses me out.
Stay safe. Oh, and don't forget,
"It Is What It Is." Whelp. That about covers it. Thanks. Logistics 101.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Up to about 7 years ago, my main way of listening to the Dead was on 5-6 hour car journeys. I would download shows from Shakedown Stream and Dead Show of the Month, put them on cd, and I was good to go.

I haven't looked in this box for many years, but I did yesterday-and pulled out the above show from Hollywood. Freaking amazing ! The first set has got stellar versions of Cumberland Blues and Hard To Handle and the second set has what must be one of the all time great Truckin'-Drums-Other One-Me and My Uncle-Other One jams going. This jam sounded familiar-and sure enough, its tucked away at the end of Dicks picks 35.

The downside with the podcasts was that they used to go onto cd as 79 minute chunks of music-and I couldn't access a track played at, say the 36 minute mark, without listening to the whole of the preceding 36 minutes. This didn't matter when I was driving. But listening to the show reminded me of how I used to hear the Dead, which, due to context, time and place, was very different to how I hear them now.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

As well as the 7 tracks on Dick's Picks 35, there are 5 more tracks from Hollywood Palladium 8/6/71 on the bonus disc that came with Road Trips Vol.1 No.3 - Summer '71. Great stuff. Can't go wrong with 1971.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I just made a donation. That guy brought so much goodness into the world that I'm happy to do something small to further his visions.

And yes, THANK YOU, Uncle Bobo. You, too, are an angel of the first degree. I cannot even imagine how wonderful it must have been to attend concerts where the promoter always went out of his way to make things affordable, comfortable, and fun. That's 180 degrees different than concerts today.

The Grateful Dead were amazing musicians, but it's also amazing to think of all the people around them who brought something Grate to the mix, be it philosophically, financially, or lyrically.

Be kind, rewind.

...that The Mormon Tabernacle Choir has kidnapped my DaP...I think they're trying to work out vocal parts on Terrapin...Five days in SLC? Yeow...

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Daverock I love that 8/6/71 show. It has a great mix of the newer tunes from that year with a mix of old school classics. Plus it does have some good jamming and of course Pigpen.

I know most of that show was released between DP 35 and the Summer 71 Road Trips (I forgot the number). However I prefer the audience tape as it sounds great. The best part of the audience source is that ut can be downloaded from the live music archive.

user picture

Member for

15 years 7 months

In reply to by Gratefulhan

Is slowing (almost) EVERYTHING down!
1.) The manufacturing process in the CD plant & printing plant;
2.) The WMG warehouse operations;
3.) All shipping facilities (and the DaP 35 out for export from the USA);
4. You and I.

What's not being slowed down in my humble opinion, are the computer systems that take your orders and credit cards.
Steal Your Face, er, Steal Your Money, Time & Patience, is mo' like it.

I'm still a-waitin' for my DaP35 to arrive.

The same thing happened with WMD-50 and that was mass general release to the public.

You move too fast
You got the morning last
Just kickin' down the cobblestones
Lookin' for fun and feelin' groovy

Feeling groovy jam GD

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It was a paradise for lizards when young Brigham saw it first
He said I've seen some nasty deserts Lord, but this one here's the worst
Then the Lord called down to Brigham, said "I've got a great idea"
I want a mighty city and I think I want it here

Salt Lake City, that town of righteousness and fame
Salt Lake City, don't sound like much, but hell what's in a name?
Nobody ever sings about it, but Lord I be going there just the same

Salt Lake City, where it's so easy keeping straight
Salt Lake City, just really makes Des Moines look second rate
Ain't making no big deal about it
But I hear the Mormon girls are really great

Salt Lake City, hey, dig that Tabernacle Choir
Salt Lake City, yeah they be bound to take you higher
There just ain't no two ways about it, yes Lord they really light my fire

Well Brigham kicked a prairie dog, and he muttered in his beard
Said you've put me through some changes Lord but this one's really weird
The Lord just laughed at Brigham, said "you'd better get to work"
The next time I check in here, I want paradise on earth

Salt Lake City, where Brigham made the desert bloom
Salt Lake City, put a colour TV in every room
And they got them crazy Mormon chicks, yes I'll be going there real soon

Salt Lake City, hey feel that magic in the air
Salt Lake City, you know that's kind of why I like it there
Salt Lake City, well you know that's where I'm bound
Salt Lake City, I'm going down to Salt Lake town

https://www.dead.net/song/salt-lake-city

Looks like I’m not getting 35...why, good question?
I’ll tell ya why, cause all these lame ass companies are greedy and have stopped giving people shipping options.
This smart post BS has to stop, or at least give us options!
Remember when you could choose different shipping options? Sure some cost more, (but we pay for it not them?) but for those of us who cannot get home delivery, and are never sure how things will ultimately be sent, it would be worth it to be able to choose say UPS directly to our residences instead of this smart post/multi vendor BS that according to evidence from many posters here is problematic at best!
Since we never are sure how anything will be shipped the PO has instructed to put your physical address followed by X and your box number, that way if it’s sent to the PO, since it’s a small town, they’ll put it in the box via the X box number. Been doing this for all the years we’ve been subscribing to Dave’s as well as all other dead.net purchases. Never had a problem including the first 2 releases from this year...Today, get notice that they sent it back because of improper address?? WTF! So either dead.net didn’t label correctly, or more likely the PO just decided to stop doing what they’ve done for decades? BS!
Ya know, its 2020 receiving goods and services should not be this difficult! The only other problems we’ve ever had are because of this smart post BS!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

All ripped in, have some painting to do, so I'll listen then.

I personally ripped the "bonus" stuff to a separate folder and put them in "performed order".

I put the 2 'Spaces" next to one another. I edited the little gap out. I thought about merging the two and making 1 track out of it,,,,,, still may. What can you say,,,, it is what it is.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Number 35 has landed in Indy! Sorry to hear others are having issues. Keep the faith. I got #31 four months late and it was the lowest production number I've gotten so far in the collection.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Yow! 10275 has arrived! The one day I didn't check status on USPS, and there it was in my mail box. Cool filler too. Can't wait to listen.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html