• 1,829 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Sydney Prentice
    Default Avatar

Please, no more chainsaw edited setlists.

• estimating prof
    Default Avatar

My guess/wants

#37 - 5/26/73 - It's got the high profile for a first pick of the year. Great Show. Betty Board. I loved that tape back in the 90s

#38 - Two shows from 69. Would two nights from the Ark fit on four discs? Seems like it would.

That would be an awesome 1-2 for me.

Other wants:
    - A Shokedown Street. 36 shows and no Shakedown in Dave's Picks....
    - Gainesville - Also fixes above.
    - A 69 show - Spring of 69 would be ideal. Two shows even better.
    - A 1991 show. There are so many good ones. Pick one for us Dave.
    - 3/9/81 - Long time favorite from the 80s.
    - Universal City 73. For me Summer and Fall 73 are where it's at. The spring 73 shows are good, but not at the same level IMHO.

2020 has been a banner year on Dave's picks for me. Massive first two shows from 77 and 74. I love the 84 show, had not heard it before. Looking forward to the double 87. Pretty sure I heard the first one on cassette many years ago.

Hope you all are hanging in there. Play it Loud!!

Hot Tuna - Phosphorescent Rat on the home system this evening. Cheers Heads!

• JimInMD

Just a hunch.. Proudfoot is still avoiding work. :D I can respect that.

• proudfoot

so

My guesses for Daves in 2021

5/25/74
    7/13 and 14/85
    2/9/73
    7/18/72
    4/22/79
    9/6/80
    9/10/83
    2/17/79

My WANTS for Daves
    6/9/73 and 6/10/73 twofer
    6/10/73 singleton
    2/17/79
    2/9/73

• billy the kid

#1. 7/13/76 or 10/20/78. #2. Two shows from 1969, hopefully one is 10/31/69. #3. 10/9/82 or 7/13/85. # 4 5/26/73. I'll also throw 2/17/79 & 4/22/79 somewhere in the mix.

• TLEO 77

Good morning Heads! Thank you for your response and directing me to information about the upcoming release. Somehow I missed that announcement! Probably inadvertently deleted it when going through my inbox quickly deleting “breaking news” emails, I accidentally deleted the VERY important “breaking news” from dead.net! Ha! :))))) thanks for keeping me focused on the truly important breaking news! Enjoy the day!

• Lovemygirl

10/10 is primo in my opinion! Excellent performance from the whole band. The Setlist is very grateful/ A+ 5 stars for this old DeadHead!

• Colin Gould

TLEO77
    If you don’t have a subscription then DaP #36 will be available for pre-order from the date and time shown in the subject line above. Presumably that’s when we’ll see a chat from Dave. This was announced in an email sent on October 1st.

• Vguy72

....during sporting events is getting pretty common, thanks to one cool dude behind the curtain calling shots.
    Thursday Night Football is his/hers specialty. Its usually better than the game itself!
    My ears usually perk up.

• Deadheadbrewer

Somebody on Fox just used Althea as the outro music to the commercial break midway through the eighth inning of the Braves-Dodgers game . . .

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Sweet liberty! We're venturing into the depths of 80s Dead with the complete show from 4/20/84 at the Philadelphia Civic Center and we're placing bets you'll think this one is more than fine. A strong contender for our mega 30 TRIPS AROUND THE SUN boxed set, 4/20/84 missed the cut by virtue of its setlist being a wee bit too similar to the years before and after. As DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 35, it's found its time to shine. The first set delivers yin yang harmony between Jerry and Bobby songs, yielding driven and powerful takes on tracks like "Feel Like A Stranger," "Cold Rain And Snow," and "Brown-Eyed Women." The second set begs the question - will we ever stop peaking? - with a monumental "Scarlet>Fire," a ripping "Samson and Delilah," a "Space" that pulls shapes that know no names, and that "Morning Dew" - get.in.to.it! And because this one might have ended just a little too soon, we've packed disc 2 and 3 with knock-your-socks-off bonus material from most of the second set from the previous night, 4/19/84. Grab ahold while you can!

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, DAVE’S PICKS VOL.35: PHILADELPHIA CIVIC CENTER, PHILADELPHIA 4/20/84 has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out. 

*Limited to 2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

So happy that I got my hands on this show, now I just gotta hope that it doesn't take a month to ship :)... SO EXCITEEED

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

This looks like a monster show. As always Dave continues to deliver for us. I have a feeling we will get another collection released this year. Keep jamming!

Phil

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

I'm not a huge '80s fan, but this show looks like it has KILLER potential. And like I've said before, a great show from ANY year is well worth having. Thanks Dave and everyone for keeping us SO HAPPY!!
I need MORE shows!!
Stay healthy all.
Music is the best!!

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

Sorry but I really hate putting Filler tracks on CD2 -- the whole point of Dave's Picks was to present complete shows, and if that means CD2 -> CD3 might require splitting a segue - so be it. If there is to be filler - put it at the end of CD3.

Moan over - looking forward to this as usual :)

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

This is a fantastic show, top to bottom. Very solid first set. The Scarlet>Fire is one to write home about, no doubt. And look at that whole other second set from the prior night!?! Very generous offering. Looking forward to this one for sure, it's nice to have some more mid-80s as well.

Be well people.
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 9 months

This will be my first Day Job in my collection. I don’t think it’s ever had an official release.....

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 3 months

I attended all 3 shows while I give the nod to 4/21 this one has its moments. I'm a native Philadelphian the Civic Center was an odd venue while not as flashy as the Spectrum ( RIP) & not as intimate as the Tower it had its moments of glory. The artwork is so PHILLY it's got attitude, TPTB should make this into a Ltd. Ed. shirt. How long before it sells out?

user picture

Member for

15 years 11 months

Yessah!
There are many Bright, lean-in moments and passages of music during this East Coast run. Some wonderful music as the tour rolls north into New Haven and Hartford,4/23-24, onward to Providence 4/26-27.
Seem to recall some blistering Black Peters along the way. Got some Great sounding AUD Masters during this run...

Shwack in NH

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

This is going to be my first new Dave's Picks, I am very exited! So glad that I was right on time and that Dave picked a show from one of my favourite years. Will subscribe for sure in the fall. Peace!

....but the first half of the second set at the end of disc 3 and the second half at the end of disc 2 is going to require some mental rewiring while listening.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Interesting. There are two Spaces. Is one from 4-19 or did they split up the one from 4-20? At three minutes it cant be a full Space. And to deepen the mystery there is only one Drums.

At first I was thinking we're getting the full second set from 4-19 on two discs, with no encore, but now i'm not so sure.

I'm sure it will sort itself out and i'll be happy to have this show either way. Rock on!

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

....look at what I posted on the daves 35 page. Right below you.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

Dead.net won't accept my card which it has done previously a number of times...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

This one will be a most welcome addition in my subscription. I've only heard bits and pieces of this show so it'll be like a whole new experience.

I imagine this was a fun one to attend.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

it went through Paypal which of course uses the same exact card...hmmmm

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Dick's Picks 6 has a version if I remember correctly.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Glad for some more mid 80s shows. This was always one of my favorite Scarlet> Fire's that I saw. I remember this run of shows in Philly, I was scared to death one of the days in the parking lot as the Pagan's (a local motorcycle gang) showed up and seemed to be having lots of fun riding around in the lot and messing w/DeadHeads. I missed the first night of the run but caught the last two and always remember my buddies being super annoyed that Jerry repeated Wharf Rat on night 1 and then again on night 3. In retrospect, NOT that big of a deal

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Cool. Then it looks like they split the space in half, which is a bit odd. Maybe there was a perfect , uh, space for the split? Extra spacy? A space in the space?

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

Looking at my copy of Dick’s ‘Dex, which is easier than finding the discs, Day Job is on both DP6 (831014) and 21 (851101). I’ll try not to look forward to DaP 35 too much since it’s going to be months before I see it. Stay safe everyone.

user picture

Member for

8 years

This is my first Dave's Picks purchase as I get most of my fixes from SiriusXM. Almost a year to the day, April 16, 1983, I drove down from Boston, paying it forward for the friend who turned me into a Deadhead by taking me to my first show. I took my best friend at the time who is Black and was one of what seemed like but only a few at the three shows we saw. I was blown away by the setlists which have always meant more to me than even how tight they play. Cameron was in awe, especially by Bill and Mickey. I was fortunate to have caught the tail end of the smaller venues before they had to play stadiums to accommodate the curious and new heads.

user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

I shouldn't complain since I haven't received my subscription copy yet, but seeing the track listing makes me wonder what you people are thinking. In the past you've put out a skimpy disc to maintain the continuity and I'm OK with that. This conglomeration looks like something I might have done on cassettes back in the dark ages. Pack it full. Surely there was a more reasonable alternative. A gift of a yearly subscription has made Christmas shopping easy for my wife but the choices being made the last few years will have me reconsidering. The teasers for 2021 better be worthy.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

- can't please everyone all the time. I love this filler arrangement. No 30 minute disc - looking at you Dave's 7 - and the second disc looks like it may flow very nicely as a mini second set with the post drums at the end there. I like it!

I am looking forward to this as it is a show I have not listened to before. What an embarrassment of riches we deadheads have to be thankful for; happy announcement day everyone!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

First, the good. This is a great show. Sometimes, I think of what would be a good show to play for someone who''s never heard that Dead before, and this one comes in near the top of the list. It has possibly the best Let It Grow I've ever heard. The Scarlet/Fire is also top shelf. Also, the Wharf Rat on the filler is one of the best versions of the song.

OTOH, the SBD that's been circulating for years is one of the best Dead recordings out there. This release is unlikely to be much of an upgrade.

There's so much great stuff from 1984 for which there are no high quality recordings available. I wish they'd release some of those. The first 2 that come to mind are 10/14 and 10/15 from Hartford. There are quite a few others.

1984's not usually my cup of cocoa, but having listened to the one in 30 Trips recently, I have to say I am looking forward to this one. Bit of a sod that some people in Europe still haven't got 34 yet, though. Sorting that out should be a priority for all concerned.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by reijo29

Dave kept it short. No mention of what the source of the recording was, Norman, etc. Should be interesting and I always love to get a new release.

Also, no mention of "any other releases" for the year besides Dave's Picks.
So, if there is going to be another box for this year, you would think they would make an announcement in August. Now, I am not so sure we will see anything else. Hope I am wrong.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 11 months

In reply to by stoltzfus

This release reminds me of the oldie Road Trips, with filler from another show, the setlists are all over the place as well, what happened to continuity?
I would have preferred a proper full show, on three discs, sorry to gripe, but I feel disappointed, hopefully, Dave's effervescence of "this my favorite version of this track" multiple times can make the elongated wait worthwhile for us across in Europe.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Hey now, looking forward to this release, lots of good stuff on this one, plus almost the entire second set from the night before sans drums and the Baby blue encore. Now which drums will we get? the one from 4-20 or 19? and is that both spaces? To make it complete, I think the drums is from 4-20 and they used both spaces due to the fact that the wheel comes out of space and you sometimes just can't separate those two.
I think they could have split it differently, put all of 4-20 but the Day Job encore on disc 1 & 2, then start off disc three with Chinacat and let the second set from 4-19 be it's own disc with the Day Job encore from 4-20 on the end of disc 3. It just looks kinda weird the way that it's split up and I may be off base here and it may sound great, but I would have done it different.
As said before by others, there are great sounding SB's of these shows out there to be had, I too would like something released that isn't readily available for download in good quality. Still, that all being said, I am looking forward to this release and when it comes, I will rearrange it if need be.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I rip these to my i-tunes as soon as they come in and order the tracks however I want to. So i'll be separating these into a 4-19 and a 4-20 before I ever hear them. I figured I was a dinosaur by still even wanting discs, but it sounds like a lot of you actually spin the discs. I can see the tracking being problematic in that case, but surprised everyone is not listening to these digitally.

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Don't matter to me. I just always hope, that if they have the rest of the show in equal quality, they release that whole show someday.

I assume they put them on disc 2 because of size issues.

Slow Dog - surprised people don't listen digitally? Some will argue quality, but if you rip to disk as wav file, you have no quality loss. A 128g memory stick will hold about 180 albums. Why lug around shiny spinning media?

Digital music, the only proof of god. Oh, and the dead.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hey Now, I really appreciate looking into the 80's decade of the GD's career. I'm sure classic GD from the late 60's and 70's are probably more popular and easier to market BUT at some time you have to market outside the box ! I'm NOT a fan of filler per se and I'm not a fan of some of the edits in the second sets but I suppose in the future, we will have complete access to download the vault instead of the drip drip drip approach ( I know professional mastering ain't cheap and takes time but ...)

I think this show of the run is the best ... for so many years , we heard the HQ audience tape of the last night, but the performance should always rule over a "cool set list" . I've really been pulling for a release of July 4th 1984 from Cedar Rapids but I suppose in due time ... As for the source on this show ... is a Master Cassette, or possibly a early PCM digital copy?

How bout a good Halloween box set ???

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 7 months

In reply to by Ursa Minor

Love the filler!!!!! I have listened to the dead almost every day for forty years and I seldom listen to a full show all the way thru. The more music they put on the cds the better. The recent Dekalb release with 3 songs on the second cd was dying for filler.
Saw the New Haven show on 4-23 a couple days after these philly shows and had a blast. Hopefully the sound quality on this release is good.
Lots of gratitude that these releases keep coming! Stay kind everyone!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 8 months

In a perfect world, 4/19 and 4/20 would both fit onto three discs, with continuity amongst sets. I didn't do the math with track times.. could both shows fit on a four disc set? That would be cool. Alas, this beautiful rock we're all spinning on ain't perfect last time I checked. I appreciate squeezing some more material onto Dave's 35. I will happily forego continuity in track listing in order to maximize sonic capacity on the upcoming set. It'd be cool to have it all in order, but let's face it...this whole worlds out of order! Enjoy the music friends, we will get by.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by PyiteWilson

It seems alright to me. The one medium that is crying out for fillers is vinyl. 5/19/74 has two sides that feature just one track each - coming to just over 6 minutes. Its barely worth sitting back down after putting one of those sides on - they are over before you put your feet up. I'm all for preserving the flow-but that seemed a bit wasteful.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

What's there to be upset about with philler and split sets? Have you never stepped into a chrono-synclastic infundibulum? I fart at your hangups on linear time.

God bless you, Mr. Vonnegut.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I was kind of looking forward to another show from '84 but that filler arrangement has dampened my enthusiasm substantially. I really can't get my head around jamming the filler in the middle of space, which is what is appears to have been done. Did you ever squeeze more onto a cassette by breaking up a song with the added material? I mean really, I think you have to go back to the 8-Track format for that kind of experience outside of this release. I guess the question "Who does that?" has been answered.

Edit: And now that I think of it, the 8-Track format didn't even put something else in the middle of a song.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

After only 4 pages of comments, we have:
I don’t like extra tracks
The extra tracks are on the wrong disc
The extra tracks are in the wrong order
I don’t know what the source is
This show is not a good enough upgrade
This is the wrong show to release from this tour
I don’t like HOW you put the extra tracks in
I don’t want filler
I don’t like the edits
The show could(should) have been split differently
The best is the implied threat:
Next years teasers BETTER BE GOOD!!
Or what?? Bodily harm may come??

Whatever happened to just THANK YOU??
Most people were happy, but I am just Flabbergasted at the quantity & breadth of the complaints. We’re lucky Dave doesn’t just say “OK, so you know better, do it yourself, I’m outta here”
C’mon folks, can’t we just be grateful?? I remember my nieces & nephews grumbling about Christmas gifts, but after all, they were between the ages of 10-17.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I hear you to some extent Mr. Ones. I rarely complain about these releases, on any level, but this filler arrangement bugs me and I want them to know how their consumers feel, or at least how this consumer feels. No disrespect intended to anyone. As far as the reaction of nieces and nephews to Christmas gifts, I can't really speak to your experience there, but this is not a gift it is a product that I am purchasing. If it were a gift I would not complain. But I do dig the complaining about the complainers, I think I may have done that a few times myself.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by Charlie3

After I listen to a release with filler once I burn the show inline

user picture

Member for

12 years 1 month

This 3 night run at The Philadelphia Civic Center was absolutely amazing! The Dead were unable to book the beloved Spectrum for the days that they wanted so chose to try out the Philadelphia Civic Center instead. The amount of zaniness that transpired at these shows is legendary. We had some very bizarre things happen each of these three nights and it just added to the electricity of these shows. Hard to pick out a favorite but 4-20 was a smoker (pun intended) for sure. It was so crazy here that they were never able to go back there again. The end of each show was absolute chaos. The building was very old and very cool. But the parking was not very ideal, particularly for Deadheads. The building was in the middle of the University City section of Philadelphia, right near Drexel and The University of Pennsylvania. The biggest parking lots were ACROSS the street from the venue! Across a very busy city street. The result was thousands of heads spilling down the steps onto the street each night right into traffic. Of course traffic was brought to a standstill which resulted in heads literally crawling and walking across cars as those behind didn't know what was happening. Just a total Philly Phrenzy. I loved all my hometown shows. God bless David Lemieux and The Grateful Dead for releasing yet another Philly classic. The Boys definitely loved coming to our town every year!

user picture

Member for

4 years 2 months

I am always very pleased with the shows that are put out on Dave's Picks. The only complaint that I have is to myself for not knowing about Dave's Picks earlier and getting the subscription. Thank you Dave for all the great shows and also for all the box sets. It is so cool to get official releases of the shows we all collected on tapes.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

To my recollection, this is the FIRST complete show release from '84 (not counting 30 trips)? FIRST!

Great pick! I'm not an '84 expert....but everybody seems to point to the Greek Theater run with Dark Star. Any other recommendation? Really appreciate the recent trickling of early Brent release as the 3rd pick of the year ('83 and '79). Will be great (and nice balance) if this trend continues. 6/30/85, Greek '84, Lake Placid '83, Alaska and Alligator '80, and many many more. Dave mentioned a 1980 front runner show and June '84 for a release. Any guess?

Love the abundance of bonus material! The only way to not disrupt the flow is to split the second set between Around and Around and Johnny B Goode and tag 4/19 after that. Good either way. Thanks Dave and team!

user picture

Member for

6 years 9 months

been ready for this one for a good amount of calendars especially lately havent listened to music in give or take 7 months or some where there and grateful dead personally commend and respect yall who still love and jam 68 thru 74 as your perfered listening thats so far away from my function as of late and it will be wishful thinking just the thought of listening to jai alai you want to watch a grown man have a breakdown its been tryed and failed the only daves pick in my possession is boise 83 all the rest were donated to half price book a while back way back and still hope that some youngster may of stumbled upon five or six and was blown away and is still out there searching back to 84 yes my favorite year right between my other favorite and other to the right is it nostalgic maybe seeing as the bulk of my shows attended were those years yet stiill feel that aside they never sounded better 83 84 85 thas my personal recollection so seeing as my attendence on this site has been nil searching email account when this popped up maybe this is what the doctor precscribed and what a fun time and all the other grateful dead ancedotes also upon cleaning a chest out last night found my copy of the saragossa manuscript dvd yes jerrys favorite film yes its beyond the pale yes its polish and tne book was written some 200 years over surely and hopefully the lot of yous have watched it and or saw it back in 64 as myself did and still recall the day yes you needs brains to watch and anotner 100 to enjoi yes and its still the best yes neither china with it 3000 years of civilisation neither greeks with 4000 years of civilisations managed to produce anything close except propaganda maybe we are all in different in our own way and thats being modest

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-35.html