• 1,024 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • flounderfe

I finally got to listen to the first show (yeah, I'm way late, I know). I was floored! Once you get past the obligatory 80's fodder like "Push Comes To Shove" and "My Brother Esau", it is SOLID throughout. Even Looks Like Rain is tolerable. Gee, who knew? As always, go Brent!

• Dan in DE

I received mine Friday from the 300 run. I am really enjoying this right now, as times have been tough, and the matrix sound I like. The mix has brought my spirit up, so I won't dwell on the service. Billfgrady it was sent without notice, so you should be getting yours any day.

• billfgrady
    Default Avatar

I’m running out of patience after emailing four or five different email addresses (Dr. Rhino, wig, etc.) for the past five months now about a missing Dave’s 36. I have yet to even receive a “we received your email.” But yet they are allowed to continue selling product? Any ideas on how I can rectify this?

• icecrmcnkd

Those are the replacements for the people who didn’t get their’s the first time.

• zxtttxz

Does anyone know why I have received another copy of Dave's 36? It arrived in the mail yesterday with no shipping notification. On the back of it, where the edition numbers are usually listed, it says "Hindsight is 2020 limited edition: 92/300". I haven't actually listened to it yet but it looks exactly the same as the first one I got.

• billy the kid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njtM09ki5nY

• Vguy72

....I dig it.

• proudfoot

you are referring to Daves 36, right?

• Vguy72

....and dug it.

• proudfoot
    dug this out yesterday after two listens to #37

good fun, solid shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by mhammond12

...is now some of my favorite GD ever.

Thank you Dave for the new perspective.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

It's not one large pizza

It's two mediums

Two gloriously steaming pizzas

"Yummy"

- Ace Ventura

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

50 candles 🎂 on a Ganga carrot birthday cake for his half century tomorrow.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

Jerry "little red light on the highway
Big green light on the speedway"

Fat Albert "hey hey hey"

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

In reply to by Oroborous

At least a week complete in a good mood.
I received the new Dave's I listened only once. It' s lock down again in France, and via Germany I grabbed a copy of American Beauty and 3 days later Working man' dead 50th.
I bought American beauty in vinyle, tape for the car , Cd, an a bit later the remaster with the bonus tracks and I don't pretend the dead has commercial intentions...
As I was expecting a port Chester boxset sooner or later I eventually got it
It took time to take the decision to buy the new copy. but it is Ok the sound is pretty good and the 2 concerts are top.
When I visited Us in 2002, I came back with a copy of Reflection I listened in the rent chevy in the wild west,with the beautiful Rowan Douglas Yonder, and Dick picks 7 I bought in San Diego. When I flew back to Europe I saw a student listening with a walkman a copy of American Beauty, likely a disk of his father, exactly what you need to stay in touch with your country and his cosmic cow boys. (Happy birthday)
This is the best disk the dead ever made in studio. a perfect disk for sunday morning. Obviously 20/20 was a good number for quarantine and I expect the new year with other good shows, and forgetting the sanitary situation.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

some balls are held for charity

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Really happy for this two show release. It really is immersive and captures the energy of riding that big old wave that was an 80's show. However this isn't what I'm looking for from this series. The matrix and ultramatrix recordings can be wonderful and a ton of fun, but these recording just aren't all that great. Way too much crowd. Massive muddling midrange. Feels distant. Phil is pudding. And the drums are somewhere in there. Don't get me wrong. This release is fun and gives any uninitiated head a taste of what it was like on the floor. Just not what I was expecting or hoping for from the series.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

until the 50th-anniversary version of Built to Last comes out! Which show from 1989 will Dave include in the box? :)

And Happy Birthday, Dave!! Love ya', man!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

14 years 6 months

In my very humble opinion, I'd give this one a "B", but not even a "B+". Like many others, I'm not thrilled with the crowd noise and the overall mix. I have plenty of 80s cassettes that will deliver the same sound quality. Phil seems pretty lost in the mix, Bob's guitar comes and goes. I don't think the "Birdsong" comes close to "best ever." And, I keep waiting for a searing solo in "China Cat ... I Know You Rider" that never materializes. On the positive side, Jerry sings like he's fired up, and Brent is playing well. I'm sure this release was a labor of love for Dave, but maybe it's time to pass the baton to a new set of ears...? Change is good.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

...has blow into Edmonton AB along with beautiful blizzard. After waiting seven weeks for DaP 35 to show up, I didn't expect this to arrive so soon - mailed off early, and took about two weeks to arrive. Dug into the first show last night, found it lovely and lively. That Bird Song really took me on a journey. And of course went to bed humming Mighty Quinn. I'll concede the crowd's a bit loud at first, but it evens out after a couple tunes and everything really comes together.

The '80s are by no means my comfort zone, but Dave's done a good job at converting me with these last two releases.

I am a robot, but not willing to admit it.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

To answer your questions:
1-Hey, we're still in love and in it for the long haul. I know she thinks I listen to too much Grateful Dead, and doesn't quite get the collecting thing. And for sure she occasionally reminds me that I can still be an a-hole. I bet there are some of you on this thread who can relate.
2-Peggy O is a mutual fave, and we have enjoyed it together at many a show.
3- NOT on purpose. I was pretty high and did a slow motion fall back into her lap while she was taking a breather. I found the experience pleasant, and she just stared. I read her mind.
4- The Math: I kept bumping into her on campus, and it took me a year to get up the nerve to ask her out to dinner.
Our first show together was Charlotte, 05/03/79. Long story short, we became an item, played house, and finally realized that everything was just exactly perfect, and the rest is history.

Edit: I guess this could be, in some way, a Grateful Dead Love Story.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

That sound like a Hallmark TV movie. Get the screenplay to them. Best wishes.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

USPS tell me my copy is in the UK so the delivery now depends on whether the powers that be decide to charge me.

On ‘that’ other topic I’d say that the time is right for dancing in the street, but with the pandemic I think it would be better to stay at home and stay safe. Let’s hope 2021 improves quickly.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

From one Ontario Deadhead to another Ontario Deadhead! Enjoy!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by That Mike

PROUDFOOT: not sure which I like better, 2 mediums or Fat Albert doing West LA, LOL

VGUY: I believe it’s even a tad brighter on my back door?

SHEKYERBONES: glad yer getting the new tunes and digging them. Funny juxtaposition yesterday enjoying people literally dancing in the streets but worrying it’ll kill em...

BIGBROWNIE: Built to last mi amigo, built to last! Been happily unmarried for 23 years, not sure how she does it!
It’s so nice to see folks still in love after so long! Pretty cool how things work out sometimes....
Great story, thanks for sharing!

THATMIKE: howdy neighbor! Used to be from “southern Canada” BITD...lived 15 minutes from the border so used to go up to Can-a-dy all the time. And Yassssss, a big

HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY TO MR LEMIEUX EH! Welcome to the old folks club! Do you guys get AARP up there ; )

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by That Mike

From one Ontario man to another Ontario man. May you Rest In Peace.

Oroborous - Always glad to have you visit, welcome anytime!

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by That Mike

Total respect, Alex

Two raises of the proverbial glass to you, sir

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

Hi there. Long time lurker, first time poster (I think?). So I have had a sub for a while and I always get two copies. This time, one of my copies of DP 36 was unnumbered, presumably a promo. I was not super happy to discover this and emailed Dead.net customer service right away, and got the familiar "We are overwhelmed with email and will get to you whenever" message.

Has anybody else had this happen and how did Dead.net resolve it? I mean, I paid for a subscription to limited edition releases. I normally keep one sealed as a collector's item, or sometimes resell it, but regardless - I don't think this is too cool. Between this and the speed correction issues on the last two releases, I'm considering not subscribing next year. :/

...I was at The Forum In So Cal to see the Stones (Two Shows that night) for my 19th Birthday...also on the bill was Terry Reid, BB King and Ike & Tina Turner...where does the time go indeed...I turned 70 today...ouch....Rock On All

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Happy birthday Nappy, you're a
cool guy. Those Stones shows you saw sound fantastic!

That tour when you saw them at 19 seems to be have been the one when they really clicked as a live band. Very confident, choosing to follow Ike and Tina Turner and B.B.King. They often had great bands or artists at their shows. The first time I saw them,though, they were supported by Cracker. Which doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

It seems to happen from time to time. Usually, but not always the result of cleaning up spam and sometimes they get a post or two that surrounds the spammer. I had a post disappear that had the word dose or dosed in it.

I'd take it as a badge of honor.

Sometimes it’s a reCRAPTCHA glitch.
It’s happened to me before. Took the reCRAPTCHA quiz and the whole page disappeared. When I reloaded the page the post was gone.

If your post was available for reading and then it disappeared, then it may have been scrubbed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yes, the same happened to me. I've had one subscription for years, but I snagged an extra #32 (3-24-73 Spectrum) for a friend. One numbered copy arrived but a second never did. So i reached out to customer service and 4-6 weeks later an unnumbered copy arrived. I kept the numbered and gifted the un-one.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by Slow Dog Noodle

As of 10/30 UPS tracking said that the package was transferred to a post office in the Bronx N.Y. where I live and would be delivered that very day but it still has not arrived. When I go to USPS tracking it says that they received "pre-shipment info" on 10/30 -- not the actual package. So there is a discrepancy between what UPS says and what USPS says.

So right now I am Sitting in Limbo!

Has anyone here in the New York area received Dave's 36?

As always my heart goes out to our long-suffering european friends and their postal dilemas.

I'm in the same boat in Maryland. It's been stuck in the label created ready to be shipped status for a week and a half.

Gonna get there... I don't know. Seems a common way to go.

I'm still not that worried but eventually I will have to take corrective actions on my own, which is always a bit of a pain.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In the Toronto area. No rhyme or reason as to how fast or slow these things show up, really up to the whim of the post office. Being retired, I do some part time work at the post office just to hang out with folks, and at all the stations I’ve been at, it is like an Amazon/Wayfair etc warehouse, about 75% of the volume (my guesstimate) packages. In all fairness, they do try getting this stuff out the door, but man, it is overwhelming, so I’m not surprised when packages sit.

I hope everyone gets delivery real soon.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

the old shipping blues

today is Monday

you will reCEIVE your Daves today! can I get an amen?

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by proudfoot

"I woke up this mo'nin'
No Daves been in my mail
I woke this mo'nin'
No Daves been in my mail

If it don't show up today
I'll jump around and flail"

I'm a regular Bob Dylan!

I've read elsewhere online from other NJ residents how theirs are also missing. Same with me. It seems they're all on the same vehicle to be delivered to the post offices but that vehicle has gone MIA or is simply sitting in the same spot on their property. There's no telling when/if they will arrive to the correct post offices. I even noticed my tracking received a retro-active update on the 30th stating it was transferred. I call foul because the update was not there at 1:35pm on that day because I was checking it through the afternoon and did not see it until the evening that day. They're still in possession of them but I'm sure they'll deny it and we can't put in a claim with UPS either.

And I agree with you. I would gladly pay for shipping if it meant avoiding UPS mail innovations. The Bridgeport hub is a blackhole.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Is that in Europe? International shipping to NJ? By boat??

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by simonrob

Not to people really from there,,,, it's just Jersey!

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-36.html