• 1,024 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • flounderfe

I finally got to listen to the first show (yeah, I'm way late, I know). I was floored! Once you get past the obligatory 80's fodder like "Push Comes To Shove" and "My Brother Esau", it is SOLID throughout. Even Looks Like Rain is tolerable. Gee, who knew? As always, go Brent!

• Dan in DE

I received mine Friday from the 300 run. I am really enjoying this right now, as times have been tough, and the matrix sound I like. The mix has brought my spirit up, so I won't dwell on the service. Billfgrady it was sent without notice, so you should be getting yours any day.

• billfgrady
    Default Avatar

I’m running out of patience after emailing four or five different email addresses (Dr. Rhino, wig, etc.) for the past five months now about a missing Dave’s 36. I have yet to even receive a “we received your email.” But yet they are allowed to continue selling product? Any ideas on how I can rectify this?

• icecrmcnkd

Those are the replacements for the people who didn’t get their’s the first time.

• zxtttxz

Does anyone know why I have received another copy of Dave's 36? It arrived in the mail yesterday with no shipping notification. On the back of it, where the edition numbers are usually listed, it says "Hindsight is 2020 limited edition: 92/300". I haven't actually listened to it yet but it looks exactly the same as the first one I got.

• billy the kid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njtM09ki5nY

• Vguy72

....I dig it.

• proudfoot

you are referring to Daves 36, right?

• Vguy72

....and dug it.

• proudfoot
    dug this out yesterday after two listens to #37

good fun, solid shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

14 years 6 months

UK deadhead here. Mine just arrived (although my mates arrived 8 days ago). Personally I like the sound on this - it's more natural than some of those pure SBD cassette recordings -- where the drums sound like damped cardboard. I guess the audience noise might get a little wearisome after a while -- but personally I'll take the more natural sound of these babies any day rather than a pure SBD. Vocals are nicely balanced as well. Listening to discs 1 & 2 and the playing seems tight and energetic and rhythmically very together. Kind of reminds me of when I saw them in London in 1981 -- ssoundwise. MIdi had not yet arrived.

There was a comment I read that suggested that the torch be passed from Dave. It goes without saying that this post is my opinion. I agree. I feel that Dave has become self-important. The Hartford shows, at least 3-26, don't even smack of good.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Dennis

It takes a long time for places to stop being new! New Jersey is, presumably, named after Jersey which is one of the Channel Islands off the coast of France and New Hampshire will be named after a southern English county.

In England we have the New Forest which dates back to the 11th century AD, if my memory is still working.

My copy is still lost in the postal system having arrived in the UK on 7th November.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 4 months

Would it be possible for Rhino/Dead.net to set up each Dave's Picks such that there is a consistent naming convention with artwork for each release that can be found when loading to i-tunes or hi-fi hard drives? It drives me nuts that there rarely seems to be an option that comes up the same for each disc in a set. It's great to have freedom but hell it is maddening, just like Discogs.......

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Dave move on?! Y'all need to get your panties out of a bunch and not yuck someone else's yum. To each their own and I'd like to see someone pick "better" shows...oh wait they'd be based on your subjective opinion and what audio sources were available as well. I see there's some people in Deadland living in glass houses.

Don't like it don't subscribe so other people can take your place at the table. Nothing worse than a cowboy complaining and saying its time to move on to greener pastures just to sulk around town pointing fingers. Y'all have heard of Archive.org and downloading right, pick your own and move. Go buy yourself some studio equipment and editing software for post-production to make it sound even better than Dave and Jeff, just make sure to post your hard work for us to whine about.

I liken Dead tapes to classic movies and TV. The ones from some times periods look and sound far better than others but in the moment and for their time it was the bee knees. Next you're gonna tell me that the original King Kong is now considered trash because it used stop motion and the Avengers came out last year. So that means screw Turner Classic Movies from showing re-runs!? No way.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Thanks for the taste from GL 15. Jerry & Merl had an incredible chemistry between them, and jams never sounded like filler, more like a launching pad. This sounds like it will be a fine, fine release. We await in anticipation...

would not be a problem IF ya knew it was gonna show for sure.....still no notice or nothin’ here....

JERSEY?......”what exit”??!

DIREWULF: well said!

EDIT: I’d pay double to get these UPS direct to our house!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hopefully the message, that a lot of folks were disappointed, has been received and future picks will be made based on what the public might like rather that personnel favorites of the picker.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

Awesome link to some Jerry, Merl & Co.....holy cow, that tune is totally awesome sauce.
Has a nice little jazzy freeform groove.
Completely tasty - step up for a plate of funky.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

That jam that VGuy dug up from the forthcoming GL 15 sounds incredible, as do all the collaborations these two had.

When the Dead were scoping out a new keyboard player after Keith’s departure, does anyone know if Merl Saunders was even considered for the spot? I know Brent had worked with Bob previously, but Merl and the band certainly knew each other (ex - SNACK Benefit 1975).

Inquiring minds want to know...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by That Mike

I know he was asked after Brent passed, but can’t remember about earlier?
He said no way he wanted that hot seat in 1990: he was happy where he was at etc...

Thanks for the groovy shite vguy!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

...Merl got asked in 1990, Oroborous. Thanks. I see your point - that keyboard seat had a curse on it, which is likely why Bruce Hornsby wore the “Just Visiting” badge - why tempt that fate.
On the subject of JGB keyboardists, I was in a used CD shop a few years ago, and came across a Melvin Seals disc (Melting Pot) in the Blues section (!?) for the price of a slice of pizza. The album is terrific, with some pretty good players! Jerry sure knew to always surround himself with skilled and adventurous players!

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Should have stuck with that name.

I believe that the name has now been usurped by a vodka maker.

Let someone else pick?
Obviously, I’m the most qualified. Let me in the Vault.......

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

As most already know.. we are in the final stages of building a second tunnel under the vault with the ultimate goal of freeing the reels.

It's only a matter of time...

The first tunnel was completed three years ago by friend and frequent poster, Zuckfun. Folklore has it three and a half weeks after the tunnel was complete he was found by David Lemieux curled up in a corner of the vault in the fetal position holding the five reels for 6/10/73 repeating the words "My Precious" over and over. He has not been seen or heard from since.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes...quiet lazy day last Sunday as I sat watching the snow fall...Secondly on to the latest offering from the vault...Personally it doesn't do much for me but that's ok...There have been other offerings that got played once or twice and then set aside...There have been those that blew the back of my skull off and I have ripped to my digital player so I can easily hear again and again...It's all good and I'm happy to be able to have access to a varied and wide collection of one of my favorite bands ever...Right now I'm in the throes of obtaining whatever live Thelonious Monk I've missed as I was gifted a very nice gift certificate...Hoping that next year's vault crop is more satifying to the public at large....

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by nappyrags

...here's a Chuck Berry story for you...in 1970 I took a friend of mine from my neighborhood to see Chuck play at The Whiskey A Go Go in West Hollywood...we made our way to the front of the stage while the support groups were playing and by the time the man came on we were dead center up against the stage...Chuck put on a fine fine show and towards the end he broke into a killer version of Maybelline...he played and played, duck walked etc...as he came back to the mic to continue singing after that long instrumental jam he kinda looked around and missed where he should've started singing...he just stood there vamping on his guitar as the band came around to where he could jump in (Is that where Weir got it from?)...he looked down at us and mouthed "what song was I doing?"...I mouthed back at him "Maybelline"...he nodded and then jumped right back in and finished the song...my friend went bananas "i can't believe that happened!!!"...to this day I don't know if it was just a shtick with him or if he truly forgot and if so, how often did that happen? Hail Hail Rock 'n Roll!

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I vote to give Dave four more years (at least).

And I feel so strongly about that that I've recently donated $99.98 to his campaign.

Be kind, rewind.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Nappy, great Chuck Berry story. I have a Grateful Dead item you might be interested in, pm me your email and I'll tell you about it.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 5 months

Still no update since Oct 30th. And no reply to my customer service email. Is there a phone number to call that does any good?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 2 months

I agree with others that I think Dave has done a great job picking and releasing shows. I've been a Dave's subscriber since the series started and am still looking forward to it every year. We've gotten so many great shows.

This release however, is still lost at sea for me in California, I too have a shipping notice from Oct. 30 that doesn't show anything via either UPS or USPS. Thinking there have been some shipping snafus with this one.
I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Yesterday I listened to a good chunk of the second set from Long Beach 1981, Aug 28. I came across a 1980s era vinyl bootleg at my local record store and picked it up. The sound is surprisingly good and the show is inspired for the time. Reallly fun to get an "unofficial release" from times past. "Grateful Dead Live in Long Beach" from Tricky Dick Productions. Good times and good show.

Belated happy, happy, joy, joy to the Napster and thanks for the great story! Dat is the shizzle, the pure essence of R&R. Can’t let a little thing like forgetting what song your playing stop a good moment lol.
MONK: haven’t scratched that surface YET! Sounds like a good project for a loooonnngg winter!
Finally getting to Game of Thrones here since “winter is coming”...

THE TUNNEL: thanks for the update Jim, I wondered what happened to ole Zuck, and about the tunnel itself?
Haven’t seen much of Keithfan2112 lately so just assumed he was still down there chippin’ away?
They must have reinforced things after the previous breach? Someday sports fans, someday, it’ll ALL be ours! (Que Montgomery Burns)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixEOMB6jyEE

My DaP 36 has arrived in Germany today!!!
I saw Merle Haggard at the Oakland Paramount Theatre in 2007.
It was funny when he said, that in younger years they had groupies around when touring, but now they bring their own nurses.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

My brother and I have some these posters, I believe I gave that Santa Claus poster to my brother for his birthday. Very cool posters. The poster with Garcia & Lightning Hopkins was up in the front window of the Orpheum Theatre in 1976.

user picture

Member for

10 years 10 months

I rarely post but want to send some support to Dave for continuing to pick great shows from all eras. Missed these, was living in Paris at the time but would’ve gone being from Fairfield so it’s great to have them. Love some ‘87 Dead 💀! And they sound awesome. Sometimes the SB ones are too sterile and I like the organicness of the crowd. That’s how I remember them! Keep up The GREAT Work Dave till next year! Cheers 🍻

Last 5 besides this and 30 DOD

David Bowie - Ouvrez Le Chien Live in Dallas ‘95
Fleetwood Mac - Live from The Record Plant 12/15/74
The Rolling Stones -The Brussels Affair Live 1973 from New GHS reissue
The Doors - Morrison Hotel 50th Anniversary Disc 2(and disc 1)
GOGD - Dave’s 25 on Friday Night for the Anniversary it smoked!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Thanks for the gallery - amazing stuff. Griffin and Kelly/Mouse et al were light years ahead of their time.

As a side note, a double bill of the Dead and the Miles Davis Quintet would have absolutely left me rung out on the floor, swept up by the janitor post-show. Anyone lucky enough to see this one?

I don't see them replacing Dave anytime soon.

If we think having someone else make the picks is going to please this persnickety crowd.. I have a bridge to sell you.

Plus, they would have to pay an artist the redo the logo, there's no way Rhino would foot the bill for that. Much like Paul McCartney.. Many think Dave has been dead for many years and the new Dave is just a stage actor or completely computer generated. Rhino simply won't spend another $10k on artwork to replace something they already have ready and queued up to print on CD covers.

[a small footnote, many will recall there was much speculation after a noticeable change in appearance and voice between the seaside chats a few years ago that Dave was no longer with us and had been replaced. Many openly postulated several theories with various levels of proof. Did he suffer a critical injury in a log rolling chainsaw juggling competition? Was he captured by Putin for not releasing enough 80's shows? Was he eaten by a Kraken during a seaside chat gone awry? Too much coffee? ...And my personal favorite, he was kidnapped by a female sasquatch during the "fly fishing" release video for Dave's Picks 32 filmed on one of the gulf islands just off Vancouver. Friends don't let friends track bigfoots alone, especially during mating season!]

Simple economics. Dave's Picks will continue for the foreseeable future.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I certainly wouldn't want Dave to be fired - this series has been great and sacking him would be a terrible way to bring it to a close.
But he has been seemingly choosing releases for a long time, and it would be quite interesting if a new way of releasing Dead material could be developed under the guidance of someone else. I am not suggesting this in the hope that they would pick shows more to my liking, though.
I am fed up with the subscription system- ending up with shows that I wouldn't otherwise buy just so I can be sure of getting ones I do want. I have always done this, but I don't think I will next year. If shows could be advertised in advance and sold individually, we could then just buy what we wanted. Surely we are not a conformist group who all like and want the same thing.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Are Russian-Bots responsible for these fire Dave rumors? Anything is possible. We could even try playing Dave's 36 backwards and hear "Dave is Dead?!"

I cast my ballot for Dave's continued employment.

Have you looked into trading the DaP’s that you don’t want for vinyl that you do want at local shops?
You could still subscribe that way.
And maybe even pass along the import tax to the shop.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by deadegad

They’re pissed off that they were stuck behind the iron curtain and couldn’t attend any GD shows live.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

That is a good idea - I am buying more Dead vinyl these days-in fact I am expecting new ones on Thursday( Buffalo 1977) Friday (Dicks Picks 26 - April 1969) and Monday (Warfield 1980).
But despite buying on ebay and all manner of sites, I have still never actually sold anything online. I no longer have a mobile phone, and wouldn't know how to put a photograph on my laptop to advertise a cd. But that's just me being lazy-my friend could easily show me.
You've got me thinking now!

user picture

Member for

3 years 6 months

There's no way Rhino or anybody else is thinking about ending Dave's run. Nor should they be. It doesn't take much thinking to realize that they've already sold subscriptions for next year, so it's safe to say they're not going to refund all that money so they can fire Dave, and Dave doesn't need to worry until 2021 at least. And trust me, nobody at Rhino is going to worry about what people are saying on the internet as long as the releases continue to sell, and from what I can tell business is brisk. I say this as someone who dislikes the audience presence in the Hartford set and did not buy it. Because it's OK if not every show is must have for ME.

It'd be fun if Rhino/Dead.net started some kind of contest: like a "people's choice" set of shows released every year. Fans could nominate, the Powers That Be could confirm whether adequate tapes were at hand, and then we could vote on what we wanted, and then Rhino could put it out, secure in the knowledge that they were given the people what they want. I'm sure other people have suggested this.

Proudfoot - Couldn't agree with you more. The Chihuly Museum is well worth a visit for some visual Psychedelia. Stunning glass works of art...very impressive.

Take care!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

How do you survive without a mobile phone? Here in the Netherlands it has become impossible to live without one. For instance, credit card transactions have to be confirmed using a mobile phone app and logging in to the websites of insurers, medical facilities, civic institutions and many others occurs via an allegedly secure system which includes receiving a code in an SMS message sent to one's mobile. I resisted for as long as I could but eventually I had to have one. One big advantage is that I can have free video chats with my wife's family in Nepal and Tibet.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by deadfeat1

We took a trip to Seattle/Vancouver in February. I was very surprised, but the kids favorite things were the Chihuly Museum followed by the Space Needle.

I'll take Squamish.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Not sure who mentioned (maybe Nappy Rags (grand canyon man) or mule skinner, but I ordered that Japanese Dylan collection finally, the ones with all his singles on it. (but not the B sides apparently).

Thanks for pointing this company out,,, they have quite a selection of "stuff".

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-36.html