• 1,024 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • flounderfe

I finally got to listen to the first show (yeah, I'm way late, I know). I was floored! Once you get past the obligatory 80's fodder like "Push Comes To Shove" and "My Brother Esau", it is SOLID throughout. Even Looks Like Rain is tolerable. Gee, who knew? As always, go Brent!

• Dan in DE

I received mine Friday from the 300 run. I am really enjoying this right now, as times have been tough, and the matrix sound I like. The mix has brought my spirit up, so I won't dwell on the service. Billfgrady it was sent without notice, so you should be getting yours any day.

• billfgrady
    Default Avatar

I’m running out of patience after emailing four or five different email addresses (Dr. Rhino, wig, etc.) for the past five months now about a missing Dave’s 36. I have yet to even receive a “we received your email.” But yet they are allowed to continue selling product? Any ideas on how I can rectify this?

• icecrmcnkd

Those are the replacements for the people who didn’t get their’s the first time.

• zxtttxz

Does anyone know why I have received another copy of Dave's 36? It arrived in the mail yesterday with no shipping notification. On the back of it, where the edition numbers are usually listed, it says "Hindsight is 2020 limited edition: 92/300". I haven't actually listened to it yet but it looks exactly the same as the first one I got.

• billy the kid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njtM09ki5nY

• Vguy72

....I dig it.

• proudfoot

you are referring to Daves 36, right?

• Vguy72

....and dug it.

• proudfoot
    dug this out yesterday after two listens to #37

good fun, solid shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Simonrob - but just about. I was asked recently for my mobile phone number following a paypal transaction recently, which seemed to me to indicate that maybe I should get one. I haven't done any video chats - although again, all around me seem to be at it. I used one on a daily basis when I was working, but I haven't had one for about 7 years now.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I think the last five songs of the first set were exactly Perfect: Brother Esau, Push, Desolation Row, Bird Song>Promised. Really strong versions.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by nitecat

FYI - shipping notice received for GarciaLive 15, ahead of the coming Black Friday postal gridlock! Nice. Not shilling for the Garcia site, but props to them for having a customer service that actually answers your request, and solves the problem. Rhino - take note. People still waiting on DaP 36 as well as the myriad other items they have patiently waited for, is not how to do business.

....than on the second cd of "Ladies and Gentlemen"-April 1971 which I last played about two hours ago.
Rollicking version of Lightnin' Hopkins "Ain't It Crazy" on the same cd.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years 5 months

After sitting here in limbo for two weeks, finally a tracking update from USPS. Magically here today. Maybe

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

It seems we are asked to use an APP on EVERYTHING! I am so far able to resist having to use any APPs, as I think there is a security factor involved. We'll see how long I can get away with this. And yes, "kids, get off my lawn and cut your damn hair!! :)

Music is the best!!

Edit: And pull your pants up while you're at it!!

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Got my copy #20602 today. Sorting out 0326 and was more than surprised.
Great mix, like the audience in the songs. Reminds me to a well done tape
at the Knickerbocker were the audience was so loud singing during "Casey Jones"
that you even can't hear the music. Especially the verse "Driving That Train.....".
Love that show, must be 92 or 93. Other Songs I can remember are Cassidy,
Desolation Row, Broken Arrow from the first set. Can't sort out the exact show
at the moment cause all shows are in cases actually due to new carpet in my music room.
Stay safe & Gar-see-ya from the grey Isle Of Fehmarn

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Researched into that show and based on your setlist clues you must be talking about the Knicks '93 show immortalized on the 30 Trips Mega Box. Kind of makes me want to call up an audience or matrix recording. I agree, nice show. There were some jewels in March '93 weren't there? :-)

P.S. I am still not a robot.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 2 months

Just got this delivered today. I've played the whole CD set. Can anyone confirm if this is a merge with a SB , or , all audience recording for both shows ? It sounds all audience to my ears. It's a very nice ambient recording nonetheless, but its not biting me , audio -wise , the way I was expecting. No doubt subsequent listenings will , hopefully , be more fruitful.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I just listened to the '93 30 Trips show (3-27-93). Nice to have good versions of Broken Arrow, Corrina and Days Between. There's also a Comes a Time, but for me the definitive version of that tune has to be Orpheum '76. Its a pretty good show.

No Desolation Row, but there is a Queen Jane. Same album...

focus on Desolation Row into Birdsong

:)))

PS I am not a freakin' robot, either. what will I need to identify today?

Ah.

I am an expert at identifying crosswalks; if you need any crosswalks identified, let me know.

I start at $200 an hour, three hour minimum. Well worth it, though, my fellow Deadheads.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 2 months

Further to the reply/post I submitted , Garcia's guitar is slightly week sounding in the 'mix' , throughout. Is this due to the audience source?

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

DaP36 is an UltraMatrix recording, which Healy made on the fly at the show by adding audio from an audience mic to the soundboard recording. Go back about 15 pages in this list to read all about it! :)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 2 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Ah , ok , thank you for pointing that out. I was unaware of the source of the recordings sourced for this release.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by beckdead51

I wanted to give this edition of DaP a few listens before making up my mind, but I gotta say, it’s a great release. I don’t mind the audience sound, it takes away the sterile sound some of the releases have had in the past. Thumbs up!

Proudfoot - Thanks for the crosswalk offer, but I’m really looking for someone good at identifying staircases. Robots need not apply.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

It's great reading the various takes on this release - I'm looking forward to hearing it myself.....but 36 has dropped off the radar... I know a lot of folks have had delays, like there was some kind of massive mail event recently....
Still - anyone in NorCal gotten their 36 yet?
I've emailed the customer service folk - I think it is just one person - they ain't the crack equipment crew that swaps out a drum head in a matter of seconds - oh well - at least we finally got rain !
Take care all and keep rockin!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Hey Marin, I'm in Northern Calif, I got my Dave's 36 two weeks ago.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by billy the kid

Hey Folks,

Just a small point of correction. This is not an ultramatrix recording. Yes Dan did develop or invent the ultramatrix, but I do not think he started recording this way until 1989, maybe, or later.

This is a matric recording as it states in the notes. If you look closely after you take out disk 2, the image shows that this is a 2nd generation soundboard. 2nd generation means no masters in the vault. Hence, why they used a matrix. The second gen board still sounds good, but will have some noise or hiss along with it. Then if you look on the last page of the booklet it says "recorded by: Dan Healy and Don Pearson." So Mr. Pearson's audience tape has now been published. I want to congratulate Mr. Pearson for such a good audience tape.

I have more to write about this release but wanted to at least get the source information enlightened.

G

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Glad you got yours Billy - Dead.net has not let me down yet, so I'm sure it will get here eventually....
I remember you mentioning Village Music in Mill Valley - that was a great record store! Since they closed I have gravitated over to Amoeba and Rasputin in Berkeley. Definitely scored some Dick's Picks there.
Have you seen any shows out at Rancho Nicasio? It's small, so no Dead & Co, but it's a cool spot for smaller shows, like Sons of Champlin, Asleep at The Wheel, etc. as BBQ on the lawn....well, pre-covid that is.

My daughter just recently bought a turntable and is collecting records! - I didn't see that coming 10 years ago.
I gave her my Sgt. Peppers and Are You Experienced records to explore. Kids need a rounded education!

Some Picks just hit the sweet spot - I've been spending some time today with Dave's 21, 4/2/73 - one of my favorite Dave's Picks. Just hits the spot - I think it's my favorite version of Here Comes Sunshine, slipping beautifully into Me and Bobby McGee - just fantastic stuff.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Thanks for the additional information on the recording. However, I would add they wouldn't release any material unless they have an official copy in the Vault. Both Healy and Pearson were employed by the Dead and made recordings for the band.
That is why it was so important to get the Betty Boards back in the Vault. Without them, they could not release any of those shows.

I finally received mine and have listened to both shows once. Really good shows and the recording is definitely different. The test for me is will I want to listen again and right now the answer is yes. Best Dave's Picks to date? No, but great part of the comeback and signs of things to come.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Marin, Villiage Music was a great store, if you go to their website it looks like you can still make appointments to visit their wharehouse. Checkout the list of people who have visited the store over the years, it's amazing. I've never been to Rancho Nicasio, but I've heard of it, bbq on the lawn , that's right up my alley. I really don't go anywhere anymore, except the grocery store or the post office, because of the virus.. Speaking of bbq , we used to go to Everette & Jones over in Berkeley on San Pablo ave, they have some good bbq. I used to go there after seeing the Dead at the Greek. We used to go to the original Freight & Salvage on San Pablo ave to see , Peter Rowan, Frank Wakefield & David Nelson, John Fahey, Kate Wolf, lots of different musicians, afterward we would go down the street to get bbq at Everette & Jones at 1am , good times. Down Home Music in El Cerrito is a good record store. You mentioned The Sons of Champlin & Asleep at the Wheel, those are two great bands.

B the K - I just love how strong Dylan and his pickup band cut into that “Maggie’s Farm” from Newport! Reminds me of his on stage banter with the heckler in Manchester, who had called Dylan “Judas!!”, to which Dylan responded by turning to the Band, telling them to “Play It Phucing Loud!”, leading to the most raucous version of “Rolling Stone”!
I’ve seen Dylan umpteen times, and the most he ever spoke while I attended was a quick remark in Syracuse about the passing of Walter Cronkite. Sometimes, the music does all the talking, like Newport.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Having arrived in the UK on 7th November, my DaP #36 has arrived at my house. I don’t think that they walked from Heathrow to Merseyside but they could have done in that time. No demand for money either which means I‘ve had two this year without paying any extra. Should be able to listen to it early next week.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

We kinda beat this horse a couple of weeks ago, and not sure if we'll ever get a definitive answer. Gary's post today got me to poking around some more. I found out that Donald Pearson was actually a sound engineer for the Grateful Dead (among others). Also, the sources cited for "soundboard" recordings for 3/26 and 3/27 on the Archive all indicate "Ultra Matrix" (Charlie Miller uses the term "Matrix Soundboard" a couple of times). And I can't remember who posted the link to Rob Eaton's comment (Thanks again!), but he seems to bring the confusion into better focus:

Rob Eaton: "Let me clarify a point on the Ultra Matrix Tapes that started in late 86. There was a pair of AKG 414s mounted in the front of the board on a rail that allowed the pair to move left or right depending on the center position. After these mics were plugged into the Ultra Box they created a 3D audience image. The SBD or Healy’s mix also ran into the Ultra Box. There was a delay control for the SBD feed to time-align it with the M/S [AUD] mics. Each “room” was different, but at 200 feet, the time difference is measurable. There was also a control for the blend between the 2 sources. The early ultra mixes were 50/50. They eventually ended up with more of a 70/30 ratio… Hope that helps." For the whole discussion: http://www.dsoforums.net/forum/topic/20483-sound-board-quality-post-70s/

Onward

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

I'm still not clear whether Healy's manipulation of the crowd volume is the final product, or if there was further adjustment during final production. That's my only real gripe about this release.
I truly love the content of these discs, and the highlights for me are Mighty Quinn, and Jerry's geetar playing during the first set of 3/27.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

....oh wait, I wouldn’t know since ours is still processing? What ever that means.....
Don’t mind waiting,...can’t stand not knowing if it’s even gonna show up!
So how long is it appropriate to wait before pestering Mary? As I say, I don’t mind the wait, just don’t want to wait my way outta getting it.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

I sent an email to the good doctor a couple days ago.. Something is stuck. They must be pissed about my making a tunnel under the vault and freeing the reels comments.

There is a very good chance there is a giant warehouse snafu and they are scratching wondering what the hell to do...

Thanks for doing the heavy lifting and getting us some info on what's up with the "Limbo" of missing Dave's 36. Regarding the Great Vault Robbery: That could be a really cool off-beat movie or sketch comedy like say Sean of the Dead. Imagine Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure meets Harold and Kumar with special guest appearances by Cheech and Chong like Ocean's Eleven. They team up to free the tapes from the vault. Awesome, totally awesome!!! Jeff Spicoli? An all star cast! Who else can we get?

I smell franchise bucks$$$$$ -- and reefer.

Lonesome Town Ricky Nelson
Complete Chess Recordings cd1 Chuck Berry
Live in New Haven 12/9/2001 King Crimson
Live in Roanne 8/17/73 Gong
Dicks Picks 26-4/26 and 27/69 vinyl Grateful Dead - it cost a bomb and it is a bomb. Listening to American Beauty last week and this yesterday reminds me what it's all about.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Definitely the best Bird Song ever.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

A lot of people like Cole Field House 1981. Me, I like a lot of them with 3-9-81 MSG holding a special place for me. I can only wish that they had better taped a lot of those early to mid-80's shows. The return of Bird Song in 1980 went off quite well, also. I agree that this DaP 36 version is a burner though. Pre-midi, too. They really piled on the Midi effect on this tune when that was all the rage. Imagine what Grateful Dead with Auto-Tune would have done...

http://headyversion.com/song/26/grateful-dead/bird-song/

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

DaP36 offers a unique way to listen to the Dead. We have hundreds of soundboards of varying quality, but this release really puts one "there," in a way that no other releases do. I appreciate that aspect.

DaP36 fills a hole in the timeline of official releases. For me it's cool to hear what the band was up to at every part of their journey, and we had no official releases from early 1986 through summer 1987. As with DaP35, Dave has recently filled some holes in the puzzle we all love putting together. Whether a release is THE BEST show ever sometimes can take a back seat to fleshing out the skeleton.

DaP36 is really fun! Once my ears adjusted, I enjoyed the audience's enthusiasm and the band's energy. I would have enjoyed being at these shows, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters to me.

DaP36 is a fantastic 50th birthday gift from Dave to us and to himself. This year also marks 21 years of Dave working in the vault, so if he wants us to open our minds a bit to what type of releases are possible, in order to get his first show (and the one that got away) out, then bless him. Most of us would have released our first show looooong before 21 years and hundreds of shows came out, and many of those shows were not nearly as good as 3/26/87. Speaking of first shows, how about 6/24/91 as a four-show Tail-End-of-Summer 1991 Box Set, please, Dave? :)

Believe it if you need it, if you don't, just pass it on . . .

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Having so far not re-subscribed I am sincerely hoping that Dave releases more shows of the quality of numbers 35 and 36 next year. It will be just my luck that he opts for an Ark 1969 show or something. Hopefully he will concentrate on the 80s and 90s for a while.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

Thank God for Owsley (on so many levels) but in this instance for recording all the Dead shows right from the beginning. Even on into the 80s when we lost that marvelous analog tape and went to a digital cassette, the magic is still sometimes there.

There's no other band with a legacy like this, where they have a top-notch outfit like Rhino putting out multiple releases from multiple eras - every single year. Yes, despite the occasional customer service fail Rhino is a first-tier music distributor. They give new life to old recordings from dozens of bands.

Along with the Dead never playing the same song the same way twice, getting these releases every few months is just musical nirvana, at least for me. I am beyond Grateful for this music and all the people involved in putting it together. I have nothing to complain about. No one is perfect, when I don't get something just exactly right at my job every time I'm glad there's not a line of angry miscreants standing there to rake me over the coals.

Last five:

AC/DC - Power Up (best since Flick of the Switch; Brian Johnson back in top form)
Rival Sons - Feral Roots
The Meters - Kickback
Grateful Dead - 6/11/76 Boston Music Hall
Stanley Turrentine - Don't Mess With Mister T.

\m/

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

The good news is, my shipping label was created on 10/30. The bad news, that's the last update on tracking. Thankfully, some kind soul laid the music on me and I got my first listen between last night and this morning.

Coming off a complete listen to Winterland '73, which is really one of my favorites and something I have not done since it was released all those years ago, this was quite the shock to the system and a nice palate cleanse.

The shows are extremely hot for the era, Garcia is inspired and at times on fire. Of the four sets, I seemed drawn to set one of 3/26 the most and I am normally a second set person. To be honest, this is a good accompaniment to the April '84 Spectrum show. At times on both releases Jerry's playing is amazing. Clean tones with lots of note stretching and sustain, he mostly makes his notes and chord changes on time and drives the music to some interesting and hard-driving places. There is a ferocity to his playing at times during all three shows, typical for a barn burning 80's show.

I like all era's, but truth be known late 67 to 74 is my sweet spot. The jazzy, almost classical compositional GD coming off their creative period and before that primal dead. Add in the crisp recordings and thoughtful mixes common in the early years and it’s heaven. I like later era stuff too, and some of the energy and guitar work here is guitar god stuff. It's very Garcia centric, he is the loud one in the mix and he seems to dominate big sections of these four sets.

I have one general comment about this release, keeping in mind I am not a big fan or crowd noise with my soundboards.. this one is best enjoyed LOUD. It just does not sound right at half volume. If you have the opportunity to really crank it up.. move the volume just to that 'safe' limit that does not threaten your hearing later in life... and it begins to take on a life of it's own. This was after all 1987. Jerry fresh off his addiction and coma and had a new zest for life.. but more than that, this is how the sound had evolved. Post hiatus, they began playing in small venues, theatres, etc. In the late 70's / early 80's they continued their theatre preference but began opening up to colleges and small one-off venues. By the early 80's more and more people were showing up and small venue fatigue set in so they migrated to both indoor and outdoor sheds like the Hartford Civic Center. Never sexy and not always the best acoustics but these venues both amplified the raw power of a crescendo or climax in the music and the reactionary edge of the crowd at any given moment. These indoor arenas in particular became sweat houses full of rowdy energy from the band and the crowd. In all the indoor shows I saw in the mid to late 80’s, I cannot think of one I did not leave with a feeling of elation and dripping in sweat. Think Hartford Civic Center, the Centrum, MSG, Carrier Dome, Augusta Civic Center etc. The floor of Madison Square Garden is supported by big springs so you can feel the building move in reaction to the stomping of the crowd and this energy finds its way into the music. This was the environment they played in and people reacted to these fiery, high-energy shows. Like I said, I am not a huge fan of an audience components in my soundboards, but one release in 36 seems an acceptable number and although I did not make these shows they seem to do a decent job representing what the spring tour in ’87 sounded like.

One last comment, I understand this release is not for everyone. I will give it some repeat listens but there will come a time when this one begins to get comfortable in it’s home on the shelf. We should not be surprised shows like this get released. Even if it’s not your favorite there are many out there that eat this stuff up and love it. Shows like this need to get released. They are rich in historical content and the band has a responsibility to the extent they can, to preserve and restore these historic recordings for antiquity. We typically get one per year, if you subscribe there is no cost for this compared to the cost of buying three shows ala carte. My two cents.

Ledded, agree. DaveRock, you can bet 2021 will have The Ark and at least one other quintessential primal dead injection that you simply cannot live without. Ark Ark. If noting else, we are creative and unpredictable.

Ark. I say phil my dog has no Ark, NO Ark, how does he smell, Blooming Arkful..

Ark Ark
Who's there
Ark
Ark who?
Simon and Ark-funkle.

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

5) Phish 1998-11-11 at Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids MI. My first Phish show, and probably only my 4th or 5th show of any sort. Could close my eyes and almost remember being there. I can't believe that ticket stub is old enough to drink now. *sigh*

4) Beatles White album. Listening to Phish made me think of it.

3) Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favor. Everybody knows what the title is a reference too, right ?

2) 11-10-73 Winterland Box. No big spacey Dark Star or Other One jam, but lots of juicy intermediate jams. WRS, followed immediately by PLayin - UJB - Morning Dew - UJB - PLayin double decker sandwich, with a Truckin' - Sugar Magnolia - Wharf Rat right on its heels. Probably they were leaving a little in the tank for a the closing night of the run. That'll be in my next last 5.

1) The Wes Montgomery Trio -- A Dynamic New Sound. Really nice and mellow vibes along with my morning coffee. Even the dog knew to leave me alone for this fleeting moment.

0) Kevin Eubanks, Opening Night. Yup, that Kevin Eubanks. I have a nice vinyl copy of this. Just flipped it over to side 2, as a matter of fact. Mr Eubanks looks like an absolute playa from the cover. Also its one of the best jazz guitar albums I've ever heard.

Fabulous post. That sums up most of my thoughts about the new DaP as well. Its not my my favorite, but it fills a need. It hits the spot for me in the afternoons, when I'm working or doing stuff around the house. I dont fault Dave one bit for picking this as his #36.

user picture

Member for

4 years

Holy smokes! The crowd noise in DP 36 is FABULOUS! Hearing the crowd go nuts on 3/26 when Jerry sings he wishes he was a headlamp on “I know you rider” and his subsequent uptick and emotionally responsive vocals is a game changer. One of the best IKYR’s I have heard from the 80’s. Fabulous work putting this out Dave and team!
MORE CROWD NOISE AND INTERACTIONS ON FUTURE DP’s PLEASE!!!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

NorthWest NJ: nada

I like some crowd noise although my D36 has not arrived yet. The ''You Are There" feel of some crowd noise can add a thrill to the listening experience. While it has been a while since I have listened to Dave's 8, it has that quality to it, and, if I recall correctly, D8 was a matrix.

If it adds to expanding the variety to the Dave's series then let's add some more 80s matrices -- among other eras and years. In the end, however, any Dave's make me happy everytime. It is like: "I gotta have more cowbell!" "I gotta fever!"

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd-o_kLONVI. The great Jimmy Reed and Big Boss Man. I never saw Jimmy Reed play, my brother saw him play a few days before he died, he put on a fantastic show, I wasn't 21 at the time , I couldnt get into the bar. Pig Pen and the Dead did a great cover of the song, I saw Garcia sing it a couple of times, and that was cool.

Funny.. that is exactly what I was doing.. listening to the Dead while prepping a big pile of rough cut cherry for indoor trim. Tedious detail work that can get monotonous and, well.. slow. The hours flew by and being in a state of focus on small details for the better part of day was a joy, not a burden whatsoever.

I think I have said this before.. but my five star rating system for listening to GD is how many miles (exits? states??) it takes me after I miss an exit before I snap out of it and regain my footing. One star means I made the exit and got home on time.. two stars means I missed the exit but noticed right away, turned around in one of those 'emergency' turn around spots and life continued without skipping a beat.. a five star show means I crawled so deep in the music (or the music crawled so far into me) that I missed my exit so long ago I am really having a tough time making up a good enough story to explain how I missed Thanksgiving or the delivery of my first born child.

So yea.. I use GD to help with work around the house all the time.

When the work was done, I hit Blood on the Tracks for a much needed palate cleanse and a pleasant break from the hard driving rock and roll that carried me through the weekend. That's the best I can do for the last five.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by stone jack baller

Where in NW Jersey? My sister lives in Asbury. Was just there.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-36.html