• 1,024 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • flounderfe

I finally got to listen to the first show (yeah, I'm way late, I know). I was floored! Once you get past the obligatory 80's fodder like "Push Comes To Shove" and "My Brother Esau", it is SOLID throughout. Even Looks Like Rain is tolerable. Gee, who knew? As always, go Brent!

• Dan in DE

I received mine Friday from the 300 run. I am really enjoying this right now, as times have been tough, and the matrix sound I like. The mix has brought my spirit up, so I won't dwell on the service. Billfgrady it was sent without notice, so you should be getting yours any day.

• billfgrady
    Default Avatar

I’m running out of patience after emailing four or five different email addresses (Dr. Rhino, wig, etc.) for the past five months now about a missing Dave’s 36. I have yet to even receive a “we received your email.” But yet they are allowed to continue selling product? Any ideas on how I can rectify this?

• icecrmcnkd

Those are the replacements for the people who didn’t get their’s the first time.

• zxtttxz

Does anyone know why I have received another copy of Dave's 36? It arrived in the mail yesterday with no shipping notification. On the back of it, where the edition numbers are usually listed, it says "Hindsight is 2020 limited edition: 92/300". I haven't actually listened to it yet but it looks exactly the same as the first one I got.

• billy the kid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njtM09ki5nY

• Vguy72

....I dig it.

• proudfoot

you are referring to Daves 36, right?

• Vguy72

....and dug it.

• proudfoot
    dug this out yesterday after two listens to #37

good fun, solid shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 4 months

I loved the pictures of the folk sitting on the civic center steps, it took me back home again. I'm not sure where the Metro Center sign came from though. The crowd noise on this release makes it special too. I probably was not in the crowd that night but I remember how crazy it the nights I was there. Thanks for this release!

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Some great posts lately here and elsewhere. Thanks Jim, LedDed and everybody! As for Dave's 36, I got hooked up with a 'preview' and been loving the 'You are there' feel'. Nice work Dave, Jeffrey and all the rest. Please keep 'em coming – y'all are doing an amazing job!

I'm not sure when 20592 got here. Sometime last week I guess. My wife and I are self quarantining after testing positive a couple of weeks ago (no symptoms for her, altho I had a crappy-feeling few days at first). Anyway we went back into town to re-test at the VFD on Friday (the 13th). I slipped into the post-office after hours with mask, gloves, tongs, the works to check the mail, and THAR SHE BLEW! Always did want to ride on a Whale Bus! Hope the rest of the errant Dave's soon catch up with everyone who're still patiently waiting. It's well worth it.

Here's a link to the new cover art by Dave Kloc. I think I got the color pretty close and at a higher-res for any of you who may want to do a billboard or something: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ij0xtk8zvuexn9h/Dave%27s%2036%20Cover%2A.jpg?…

If you need 'em, here are all the Dave's series covers and bonuses: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qx5j9ydoc7bzm8z/AAD8yK_vCv_kQ-oLkLJQVCEla?dl…

Onward.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I'm probably the last person to hear these who wants to - but this RSD release from last year hits the sweet spot. Jerry invites people to sing along before Ripple on 10/9-so i stand corrected on that issue. I can argue with most people, but I draw the line there.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Don’t wanna jinx it.....but,
Received shipping notice, it’s in Salt Lake.....
Hopefully the WH rectified the labeling glitch from last time.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Get well soon amigos!
Thanks for the scans!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Ditto what Oro said. Be well, rest up.

What a year.. I am planning a mackdaddy party for basically myself this New Years, the others in the house rarely make it that late. Perhaps I will get my old GD New Years tickets out and wallow in them.. but one way or another we have put this shit hole of a year behind us. If we aren't suffering from covid itself, we are suffering from covid fatigue. Be safe everyone and be careful. One way or another, ..... Those of us that are tight should share in some zoom celebratory excursions on the 31st.

Onward.

I love the crowd noise also! It isn’t too much noise that gets to the point that it overshadows the music; it’s just right. I also agree that they should do the matrices more in these releases. It really does add a lot to the listening experience. Moments in this DaP like the Bird Song, He’s Gone, Morning Dew, etc. showcase this perfectly. I also hope for a Vince era release this year. 9/20/91 Dave?

FYI - Neil Young Archives (Warner Beos) is now taking pre-orders for Young’s Archive 2, to be released in March 2021. It covers the prime period of his career (1972-1976), and 10 CDs,131 tracks, plus plus plus. Two editions - Deluxe ($$$) and Retail ($$).
A lot of money to shell out, but I always enjoy these career retrospectives. I had ordered the Retail version last week, decided over the weekend to go for the Burrito Deluxe. I’m hoping to bury the charge under all my wife’s Christmas shopping, because the Dave’s subscription is always her annual eye roll. If not, I’ll do the manly thing and email her when she is at work! “By the way...”

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

... for that DP36 ...

Well, it hasn't been a long wait for me yet. Only about three weeks to Sweden and I just found out it departed a transfer airport in Stockholm last Saturday afternoon. It is not searchable in the Swedish Postnord system yet and it's not registered for Custom Service charges either. Hopefully I'll get it by next week. Unless it's waiting for me at a UPS handout place. Last time that happened I didn't got a message from them or from UPS. They expected eachother to get in touch with me.

Well, I'll check that tomorrow.

Hope everyone else will get theirs before too long!

Micke Östlund,
Växjö, Sweden

Several of us here in the North Eastern U.S.A. have not received Dave's36 yet either. As of 10/30/20 UPS tracking says that it was transferred to the U.S.P.S. but U.S.P.S. says that only a shipping label was created on 10/30. It is thought that there is some sort of warehouse problem involved. Who knows? Since we over here usually receive these discs sooner than our European friends -- we can not complain. I routinely read about slow shipping to Europe on these forums, and, of course those exorbitant postal fees! Take care.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I finished this Dap and love it. I think dave has given us enough 80s for a while and I am expecting 69'-71' to show up in spring. This Dap 38 guessing is much better then a corn shucking contest. "Hot corn, cold corn" john kahn?

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Oh, by the way. It took me quite a many years to appreciate 'row Jimmy' but now that I have heard this one, I know for sure I'm in love. Dave's picks sure keep's the love flowing for jerry and the band.

I caught the one the month before on the East Coast. What a terrific cover and a terrific song. This one only seemed to get better with age.

She Belongs to Me, another special Dylan cover. This one's acoustic and has Bob and Jerry swapping lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8obCnsw4c

Have a good Tuesday all.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

Not to beat a Dead horse, but I also did a little more research about this recording and the now famous Don Pearson. I am very happy that I wrote in my last post "Mr. Pearson" as he is/was not just a taper, he is a sound reinforcement giant. Mr. Pearson is the co-founder of Ultrasound, a company he helped start in 1978. Years back we were discussing Dick's Pick #5, Oakland Auditorium/Kaiser, and were discussing the sound system. I am a little fuzzy on this as I cannot find the documentation that at the time was on the tip of my fingers. Anyway, on December 26, 1979, the organization brought out a new P.A. system. My understanding is this was the first Ultrasound P.A. system that the fellas used. It was a marriage made in heaven as it was the Ultrasound backbone of course powered primarily by McIntosh amps with an exhaust system developed (and constantly evolving) by John and Helen Meyer at Meyer Sound. (Now I realize that documentation is on a very old computer that I still have but dont access hardly at all, guess it is time to fire it up, so to say.)

I doubt Mr. Pearson was ever on Grateful Dead's payroll, although maybe??? My reasoning is thus, as Grateful Dead and now D&C were/are the driving force in sound reinforcement for the whole industry, I would imagine that Mr. Pearson saw a lot of shows prior to starting Ultrasound. After starting Ultrasound, he would be working for Ultrasound to physically hear the outcome of his hard work. Since the December 26, 1979 show through today the organization has used the marriage of Meyer Sound and Ultrasound. Meyer being the hardcore engineers in reinforcement and Ultrasound being the developer of the various P.A. systems, meaning Ultra does the many P.A. configurations for various sizes of venues. Ultrasound would be the one looking at the venues and developing the P.A. for the tour involved (and of course, many uncountable bands/tours/venues).

I will try to fire up the old computer to find an article about Meyer/Ultra that was written in a trade magazine, but here is a partial read.

https://meyersound.com/news/fare-thee-well/

And anyway, here is another read on the marriage between these two organizations.

http://www.dozin.com/ultrasound/main.html

Any way, that is enough for this a.m. Although I do have more to write on the two organizations that are direct offshoots of Grateful Dead and how it relates to this release. Hopefully, time will allow me to do this later today.

Smiles to all, and be very careful out there, it is a deadly situation for all.

G

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Let's not forget, he brought us Two From the Vault. He was somewhat of a sound genius.

I probably misused the term Ultra Matrix in a post a couple weeks ago, and I don't have my physical copy of 36 yet so am not reading whatever it is they put there (it's currently in Jupiter and beyond the infinite, hopefully it will make it home soon)..

I still think this was culled from the source cassette master which was a mix of soundboard and two stereo audience mics by Dan. Many of the 87 soundboards have a similar sound ..but I could be wrong. It's a decent release which has gotten a couple good listens by now. Which begs the comment.. we need more GD.. when do we get our next show? We need a new release now! (let's get together people and storm the vault, who's with me?) Ark Ark

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I am in an un-Dead phase. an "anything but the GD" phase.

I have tried palate cleansing, no GD for a few days.

Nothing.

I will live. but I miss that GD vibe.

It will probably come back eventually. "take a vacation, fall out for a while"

oh, the trials we face in life, eh?

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Let's storm the vault as a Valkyrie with flight of the Valkyries blaring.

I did not realize that 2 from the vault was Mr. Peason's work, but I now doubt it one bit. As far as my earlier post, I guess Mr. Pearson may have in deed been on the band's payroll, until 1978 when he started Ultrasound. It would make sense that he and John Meyer would have toured with the early tours. Probably not primal Dead but shortly thereafter. I don't know, but at least it provides another avenue, with unlimited rabbit holes, for us heads to research. I doubt any band has as much underbelly to be discovered as Grateful Dead has.

Hope your copy shows up soon, mine arrived on 10/29. Hope everyone gets theirs soon! This was originally going to be an edit of first post, but then saw your post.

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Hey Gary, Good points and great perspective. Don Pearson's obituary, published by the Audio Engineering Society, may add some detail about Dr. Don's relationship with the Grateful Dead and the ultra matrix mystery:
https://www.aes.org/aeshc/jaes.obit/JAES_V54_3_PG245.pdf Yup, lots of fascinating and unexpected rabbit holes to explore.
The technicalities of sound engineering are way beyond my pay grade, but it appears to me that Dave's 36 derives from soundboard and audience recordings made by Dan Healy and Don Pearson that were fed/"baked" together on tape in real time in the 'Ultra Box' during the show. In 2020 this limited Jeffrey Norman's options during remastering.
Regardless of how off-base I may be on its source tapes, I love the heightened sense of the crowd that embellishes this release. For me the integral aud gives a cool alternative to the 'clean' soundboard recordings we all love. Not better or worse, just a different way of hearing the music in context – wouldn't mind getting one of these every now and then, especially when 'pure' soundboards don't exist.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

I don't think Don recorded it.. but they were stuck with these multi-track master reels with major leakage between input sources that created timing sync interference between the instruments and vocals. I think there is much mention of this on the liner notes, what he figured out how to do is estimate the timing differences and edit out the interference using technologic wizardry.

Before this, the band considered the by then ancient tapes unusable, to my ears now, they sound magnificent.

I will dig up the liner notes and either create a new post or edit this one hopefully later today. Up to my elbows in alligators right now doing something else far less interesting.....

And Jeff and GFar, completely agree - many thanks.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

Pearson also worked on One from the Vault. There is a great write up in the technical information section from Don Pearson.

Cool! If I got one, my dog would track mud etc over it in no time. I’d rather put it in the centre of the floor, and like NHL etc teams have in their dressing room, no one can step on it, out of respect!

VGuy - see your PM

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

for the geek fest! That’s the stuff! Most interesting content I’ve read here in years!
Cool to still learn more about all this even after all these years.
Always wished there was a more advanced version of Grateful Dead Gear, perhaps my favorite Dead book lol.
Gary, please post more if you find it, especially interested in more specifics of “ultra-matrix”.
I had assumed he/someone had mixed the SBs and mic sources after the fact like a true matrix, which imho, when done properly, is the best way to experience this music, not so much for the crowd noise, but for the more natural sounding room ambiance...for the way the music sounds! But again, it has to be done right...
Hadn’t realized Don had passed, May the four winds blow him safely home!
Goes to show there is no such thing as routine surgery...
Had the pleasure to talk to Don, Dan, and Howard over the years, (Candace too) and got to crawl around under the stage with Howard at the one and only show 7/1/92 that I got to work production. Not only were these guys ridiculously knowledgeable, they were very nice and totally approachable when appropriate.
The vast majority of Deadheads have no clue just how dedicated and innovative they were, or how complex and cutting edge the systems were.
A true match made in heaven for a gear head like myself. The best band with the best gear/sound, EVER!
As a lad, the equipment influenced me as much as the music, and both led to my lifelong love and participation, as well as often my employment, in and around music. We used to go front row whenever possible for a chance to see the gear and experience the real sound of the instruments more than to simply be closer to the band. It was like going to school. Can’t even fathom how much I’ve learned (and unfortunately forgotten) from this wonderful scene and people over the years.
Thanks so much to all the hard working Folks from all facets involved for giving us “the best they had to give”

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Finally decided to go through the Winterland 1973 box for the first time. It came out when I was switching careers and had young kids . . . there are quite a few releases from that period of my life that are still unopened . . .

Anyway, in reading the Winterland '73 booklet yesterday, I noticed that the box was dedicated to none other than the same Don Pearson who has been mentioned recently here. Must've been a good person.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Hopefully a big one from 1969, or a combination one from 1967, 1968 & 1969. Hopefully, they will release the full Winterland Oct 1974 run with audio and video, that would sell out in minutes, a complete knockout! I'll take any or all of the above for box sets.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

awesome links and awesome posts, thanks everyone, good stuff and very interesting reads about Dr. Don, what a guy and I think I might have met him at a show in 94, he always had a big smile on his face. RIP Don, you were the man.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Still no 36, but Dead.net customer service has been responding and it looks like I will get a replacement.
For all those still waiting, Dead.net will set you right........Happy Odinsday everybody

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

This release is a keeper. I like all the eras. It's nice to get such an enjoyable 1987 release. I've listened to both shows twice now. For a two track recording, these shows have some of the best instrument mixing I've heard. Most instruments are present, with Brent missing or a little low at times. Jerry plays some mean guitar solos throughout both nights. Bobby has his odd chord phrasing. Phil is booming. The audience gives it a great "you are there" feel. I will listen to this release many times in the years to come, it is so enjoyable.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by nitecat

36 has landed! Finally, shows I was @...
Lol, now if I could just get time to grip it and rip it...
Fuggin Murphy, all kinds of time lately, now today don’tcha know I’m getting waylaid sixteen ways from Sunday.
Hey, at least its here!
Onward!

EDIT: hopefully the rest of you Daveless bastids will receive yours sooner than later!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIoBOfTZ3s8 The Dead did it 7 times, what a cool tune. They brought it back one time 11/21/85, it didn't have the punch without Pig Pen, but it was very cool that they opened the show with it. It was the same when Cryptical came back in 1985, very cool, but not the punch of the 1969 version.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 8 months

... in record time ... and on Vancouver Island!

Good evening hockey fans! I've been absent from this site for the last few months as life has recently taken some drastic (but great) forks in the road.

After 41 and 43 years respectively, my wife and I have retired and moved from the COLD and SNOW of the Canadian Prairies to the RAIN and temperate climate of Vancouver Island. Packing up the Regina house after 30-something years and moving (with two cats) to the Pacific North West has been a blessing but not without the inherent complications that arise coordinating the shut-down of one life and the start-up of another. But I digress - back to DaP36.

Shipping notice received October 28th; delivery on November 16th. Less than 3 weeks, and that includes the re-routing to the Island from Regina! I was actually kind of stunned when I opened my new mail box and the familiar cardboard package was staring up at me.

Second listen through and I'm enjoying both shows. Agree with Nitecat that separation on the instruments is first rate. The drums come through cleanly as well. No real opinion yet on the audience sound. Mostly like but it's early - could become tiresome after repeated listens. Although if you pick 36 up in a couple of months or whenever, the audience sound could be refreshing and rekindle interest in the shows. Time will tell.

Gotta go. Be safe. Stay healthy.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years

Just got an email from the good people at deadness. They sent me an extra #36. I get 1 for me and 1 for my nephew. This time I got 3. Oh well they're going to send the appropriate stuff and back it goes. Easy come easy go

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

My favorite Dave's Pick is #6, 12/20/69 & 2/2/70. My favorite Dicks Pick is #8, 5/2/70. My favorite Road Trips is vol 3. #3, 5/15/70. Road Trips #2 vol 2., 2/14/68. could easily be interchanged with vol3 #3, tough choices.

In the process of putting my favorite picks in this post, I started twitching uncontrollably, smoke started coming from ears and I got this strong metallic taste in my mouth. Under the advice of my physician I am refraining from furthur participation in this exercise.

Your picks are very good Billy.. I'd have to nudge 2/14/68 up a bit in the Road Trips series, but both are high on my desert island list.

..then again, how could I neglect Volume 2 No. 3 Wall of Sou`n~zzt*nd.
amlasdpfferzzzzzzzzzzzzzzppppt!
z
z
zzppt!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

....Dave's #5 Pauley. Dick's #33 Day On The Green, RT 3.3 Fillmore.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Dave's is easy. 5

Dick's is a bit more challenging. I would have to go with the very rare, 2-4-8-12. Hard to locate, but definitely worth it if you can find it.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

Dick's 15 (Englishtown) or 18 (Feb. 1978); Dave's 5 (Pauley) or 23 (1/22/78); RT 2.2 (2/14/68) or 2.3 (June '74).

p.s. The Download Series was mostly forgettable, but the show from 6/20/91 and the one from 4/30/77 are quite tasty.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

the GD vibe is slowly returning to me after disappearing for a while.

BTK states Dave's 6 is his favorite...what do I have as ambiance music at the moment? Dave's 6.

Thanksgiving break is so tantalizingly close...

Dicks8 5/2/70 is an all-timer, fo'sho'

PS: hey! I can identify cars!

I dreamed the other night that I was at a GD show...Jerry was slogging through Stella Blue, and finally stopped playing. He walked off stage and collapsed in the street. I waved away a car that was heading toward him.

B
I
Z
A
R
R
E
!

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

...didn't someone a few years back do a formal poll of sorts to determine what was indeed the 'favorite' pick among those lurking around these boards at the time? I believe it landed on DP 12, the compilation from '74 that is freakin awesome. I ain't often right but I've never been wrong....though I may be here....fuzzy on the additional details.

As another distraction - and I don't think I've seen it pop up here yet so if so, forgive me - but a few months back I was poking around on YouTube and I found this extremely entertaining guy who apparently had never listed the the Good Ole GD before, and you can watch him get his initial doses. The pure joy of realizing what is going on during his discovery is EXTREMELY fulfilling as a Deadhead; the act of watching someone GET IT completely, right out of the gate is nothing short of satisfying. I keep going back and finding more and more of these and it reinvigorates and reinforces my own love for this band. If you have a few minutes to spare I'll say it's probably worth your time to see this unfold.

Here's the first one I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUeIcRps2dY

He then goes on to subsequent, headier stuff like Eyes of the World (from Winterland '74), Dark Star (Live Dead), China>Rider (E'72) and even Scarlet>Fire from Cornell. His evolution of reaction is palpable.

Sixtus

Here I am thinking that I was the only one here who watched that guy's video channel. I had already watched that Shakedown Street reaction from AKA Jamel. His videos are very funny.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-36.html