• 1,024 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    "And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • flounderfe

I finally got to listen to the first show (yeah, I'm way late, I know). I was floored! Once you get past the obligatory 80's fodder like "Push Comes To Shove" and "My Brother Esau", it is SOLID throughout. Even Looks Like Rain is tolerable. Gee, who knew? As always, go Brent!

• Dan in DE

I received mine Friday from the 300 run. I am really enjoying this right now, as times have been tough, and the matrix sound I like. The mix has brought my spirit up, so I won't dwell on the service. Billfgrady it was sent without notice, so you should be getting yours any day.

• billfgrady
    Default Avatar

I’m running out of patience after emailing four or five different email addresses (Dr. Rhino, wig, etc.) for the past five months now about a missing Dave’s 36. I have yet to even receive a “we received your email.” But yet they are allowed to continue selling product? Any ideas on how I can rectify this?

• icecrmcnkd

Those are the replacements for the people who didn’t get their’s the first time.

• zxtttxz

Does anyone know why I have received another copy of Dave's 36? It arrived in the mail yesterday with no shipping notification. On the back of it, where the edition numbers are usually listed, it says "Hindsight is 2020 limited edition: 92/300". I haven't actually listened to it yet but it looks exactly the same as the first one I got.

• billy the kid

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njtM09ki5nY

• Vguy72

....I dig it.

• proudfoot

you are referring to Daves 36, right?

• Vguy72

....and dug it.

• proudfoot
    dug this out yesterday after two listens to #37

good fun, solid shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

"And with this incredibly tight batch of prime 1987 Grateful Dead, we’re thrilled to bring you Dave’s Picks Vol. 36, matching the number that will be forever tied to Dick’s legacy. Thanks for sticking around this long, and for joining us through these past nine years of archival live Grateful Dead releases." - David Lemieux

We're doing things a bit different for this one - two complete shows on four CDs, bringing you one of Dave's faves and what very well could have been one of Dick's Picks. Yep, back-to-back nights from peak era 80s - the furthest we've gone into the decade, in fact - that will bring you to joyful tears. DAVE’S PICKS VOLUME 36: HARTFORD CIVIC CENTER, HARTFORD, CT (3/26/87 & 3/27/87) delivers emotional takes on tracks like "Row Jimmy," "Black Peter," Uncle John's Band," and serves up a hit list of covers ("In The Midnight Hour," "Good Lovin'," "Desolation Row," "Promised Land," "Little Red Rooster," "Morning Dew," Johnny B. Goode") that'll have you hootin' and hollerin'.

Limited to 22,000 numbered copies, this one has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman and is guaranteed to sell out.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Road Trips: 11-21-73 with a chunk of tasty filler from 11-20 and a bonus disc from 12-6. Totally underrated release.

Daves 11: 11-17-72, with filler from 11-15. (I kinda pretend the record store release from 11-18 is a bonus part of this release as well since I always listen to them together.)

Dicks: I was gonna say 36, but didn't want two from 72, so I'm gonna say 34, to get some 74 in the mix. (Yeah, it's chopped, but so is a large percentage of 74, so what are ya gonna do.)

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by lebowski99

Right on DHB and AJS. I am doing the same. Also, for those that do not know, if you buy from Amazon, try starting with Smile.Amazon.Com and you get to pick from one of their charities to give to. I used to give to the WV Symphony Orchestra (one of the few arts charities at the time), but a few years ago I noticed the Rex Foundation is an option so I switched.

Easy breezy, it adds up.

....and Lebowski, I just got through a listen of DaP 11 + Filler (almost) immediately followed by the Holfheinz RSD release. There were a few of us that did this on the pick of the day thread. Serendipitous. Good to see some love for DiP 34 too.

user picture

Member for

4 years

As for my favorite Dick’s, it would have to be 33. That Stephen/NFA/Stephen/Help/Slip/Drums/S&D/Slip/Franklins is absolutely killer. As for my favorite Dave’s, it’s probably 27(may be a little biased as it’s my first). Love the Wang Dang Doodle opener, and it has one of my favorite Estimated/Eyes. The Space is also really great; really different. Those are my two cents.

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

I think you posted that you're somewhat new to the GD scene; if not, then I apologize if you already know what I'm sharing below, and I'm thus being pedantic. :)

If you like DaP27 (and I sure do!), then definitely check out some more Fall '83; the bad was on fire! Dick's 6 is suh-MO-kin', as is the next night (10/15). The 17th and 21st (the 21st was in the Thirty Trips box) of October will get your rocks off as well.

user picture

Member for

4 years

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Yeah, I’m pretty new here(less than a year, 3/12/20. I listened to Terrapin Station and that’s when I knew the bus was coming, and I hopped on). As far as Fall 83 goes, I haven’t dug too much into it. However, I’ve been really diggin 10/11 from that tour. I love that second set(especially the Bertha>Jam>China Doll), and the Wang Dang Doodle opener is smokin’. I’ve also listened to the Scarlet>Fire from 10/21, but that’s about as far as I have gotten in this tour. I’ll definitely be checking out 10/14 and 10/15 soon. Thanks!

[Edit]: P.S. The Brent Era is probably my favorite Dead era out of them all(all of them are great tho!). Love his voice and keys, and he and Jerry really gelled, especially post coma.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Just too damn difficult...makes my brain hurt!

I’ve been doing the year in review and I think here’s my order from best to worst..,

#34 Jai Alai gets the nod on #1 for the year..it’s a great 71 plus the bonus...can’t go wrong

#36 is next for me...great way to pass the torch from Dick to Dave with of course the Dicks series ending on 36 and #36 for Dave being his first shows. Plus this audience source rocks...I love it, and what perfect timing with none of us being able to hear live music for so long...right on Dave, keep up the good work!!!

#33 Dekalb...listened again today and like most 77s it’s fantastic, but maybe gets lost in the greatness of 77s in general...

#35 84 Philly last on this list but a solid show with some good filler

For you vinyl folks...I would recommend Jimi Hendrix Experience Live in Maui...sweet sounding pressing that comes with a Blue Ray video (I’ve yet too watch)...3 vinyl discs plus the blu ray at $52 from my local shop...not bad!!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Yes, they will give you 15% off however, don't plan on ever receiving what you buy.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

Ha!

.........But you still save 15%.

(coming from a person that still has not received my Dave's Picks 36, but I have not given up hope).

user picture

Member for

16 years 2 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

a great year for the Dave's, with amazing show from 84, 77, 87, and awsome 34.
my favorites Daves 5, 23,26(ann arbor) and 34, for dicks 12 (Providence) 18, and the begining 1,2,3,4.
a great post about Europe 72 so I paid attention to the suggested best songs, alike Europe 72 vol3 and the underated shows !

https://archive.org/post/304297/europe-72-notebook

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by sheik yerbones

I still think 30 Trips is a handy resource for dropping in on different years-and some of my favourite shows in any series-Dicks, Road or Dave's can be found here. The jewels, for me are the early ones-1967, 1968, 1969 and 1970, but there are strong shows throughout. Following a recommendation on here, and in anticipation of the Daves choice, I discovered the 1984 show a few months back - I can't remember details now, but I enjoyed it at the time. 1989, 1990 and 1991 are also strong late period shows.

user picture

Member for

7 years 8 months

So we're doing this . . . I'm in.

Dicks Series: Overall, just considering the music that is on the three CDs themselves, I'd have to go with #4. But of course that one is a mash up so it has an unfair advantage. If we restrict it to one intact show its either Harpur College or # 11 from Fall 72. I love 70 and #11 might be my favorite 72 show outside of Europe. Or its just the one I listened to most recently.

Dave's: # 21 - Boston 73, or #26 Ann Arbor 71. 21 is so consistently good, without having one big highlight jam. Just one great song after another. 26 might be a sentimental favorite since I've seen a lot of shows at that venue (never the Dead tho :( )

user picture

Member for

14 years 2 months

For DaP 2020, I have to go for 33 over 34 by just a hair. I enjoyed the heck out of all of them, and 35 made me go listen to the other two shows in that run; that was a good three nights for GD fans in attendance!

Be sure and put on your seatbelt as this could get weird!

Besides DHBs fine suggestions you can add 8/27/83 (perhaps my favorite Jack straw, but you need to crank it on real speakers, no ear buds....in a word, Phil!) 10/22/83 is worthy, but don’t listen to an Aud as the domes sound was horrendous). You can’t go wrong with Vguys awesome picks from Santa Fe on 9/10&11/83!

My 2 cents...it’s all good! Just gotta poke around. For good or for ill folks have some strong predilections around here. Which can be informative, but like what YOU like. Fuck all the cool kids lol.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Definitely biased toward DP 33, my first show; otherwise, I would choose #33.
DaP: #13, "...this is a peaceful Sunday with the Grateful Dead", perfectly describes the mood of the show.
Road Trips? The ones from 1971
Favorite complete 1969 Fillmore West recordings box set: "Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings"
Favorite show yet to be released: 12/10/1971
Favorite Dead Movie quote: "I like Sha Na Na"

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

KKUP listener sponsored radio since 1972, is having their annual Grateful Dead marathon today, from 6a.m. to 12pm P.T. My brother Paul is doing a show from 6p.m. to 9p.m. P.T. call him up and say hello. Go to kkup.org. and from there you can listen online, you might have to say Alexa play kkup.

Dead.net is having their annual "Black Friday Sale" 15% off w/ free domestic US shipping. This DaP 36 was sold at $38.98 + shipping and sales taxes ala carte. It quickly sold out. Now with this BFS, it's being offered at $33.13 but you cannot order it - IT IS SOLD OUT!
UNAVAILABLE!
KER-PUT!
GONE!
NO MORE!
SOLD OUT!

Oh, the humor!
2 Great shows, I'm enjoying them very much!
THANK YOU, DAVE!

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rW8KOSfkIkI. I saw Hunter open for Garcia down at Keystone Palo Alto and he said " I remember when this place was a Pureity Store we used to shoplift in here" He put on a great show , so did Garcia. Fun times! Dave Rock, I'm sending this one over to you ,and the great country of England..

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

So I had a weird dream last night, well my dreams are weird rverynight. In my dream after a series of loosely connected events, I ended up being present for Rhino and Dead.net's meeting to finalize details for 2021 releases. No Dave L in this meeting but basically there were a group of people, some looked slightly familiar, discussing some details. There was a general discussion about the color scheme for the artwork for what I think was next years box. It looked, from a sample that was held up briefly, like blue, red, and indigo...

Then a discussion came up about a future show for release. The dates was 8/10/82. Even in my dream I recognized this date (in reality I had a tape of this show). A discussion ensued about the merits releasing this show. Up until that point I was nothing but an observer, but the woman running the meeting turned to me and she said "What do you think?" I responded with "Hell yeah, sounds great! The guys in the comments section will love this one ".

So yeah it probably means nothing, but who knows. Hopefully I did not represent the crew here incorrectly with my enthusiasm in my possible psychic- time traveling dream vision. I did briefly look at the setlist courtesy of Deadlists:

8/10/82
Iowa Fieldhouse - University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA

Set 1:
Feel Like A Stranger [8:06] ; Friend Of The Devil [8:22] ; New Minglewood Blues [7:12] ; Tennessee Jed [8:43] ; Cassidy [6:28] ; It Must Have Been The Roses [5:25] ; On The Road Again [3:00] > Beat It On Down The Line [3:37] ; Stagger Lee [6:08] ; I Need A Miracle [3:49] > Bertha [6:09]

Set 2:
China Cat Sunflower [7:26] > I Know You Rider [5:45] ; Lost Sailor [6:41] > Saint Of Circumstance [7:02] > Eyes Of The World [13:10] > Drums [6:13#] > Space [9:02] > Iko Iko [9:41] > Truckin' [6:47] > Stella Blue [8:33] > Sugar Magnolia [10:46]

Encore It's All Over Now, Baby Blue [6:52] > Johnny B. Goode [4:07]

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Due to Postnord in Sweden my tracking number isn't in their system and when they looked they couldn't find it in the Swedish Custom Service system either. As a matter of fact, they couldn't even see that it left a transit airport in Stockholm, Sweden on Saturday November 14th, not until I pointed in the correct direction. That being the USPS Sweden tracking web page. So where did it go from Stockholm? Nobody knows. It takes about an hour for a regular flight from Stockholm to Växjö Airport but who knows where my DP36 landed that Saturday a week ago.

Maybe my copy will be delivered by UPS? Haven't heard from them though and there is no access point for UPS in Växjö any longer. Maybe this COVID-19 crap has taken the access point out of business.

Deadegad: Saw that you got your DP36 earlier this week. Lucky you!

Micke Östlund,
Växjö, Sweden

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Found this kind of interesting, thought I'd share. Here's the full performance of the Blues Brothers opening for the Grateful Dead on the closing night of Winterland. Pretty tight for a band who played just a hand full of gigs before this show.....Matt "Guitar" Murphy is on fire, Paul Shaffer showing off his bluesy-chops, and surprisingly Dan Aykroyd is remarkable on harmonica! Anyway.....away we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4OMWW25Fzc

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/It-was-1978-the-night-they…

Good Morning Deadmike,
it probably hangs at the customs office. My copy left Atlanta Nov.1st and arrived at FRA airport on Nov. 4 (UPS). USPS tracking did not state (up to now) the departure from FRA, but to my surprise 36 arrived at my home on Nov. 11.
That was pretty quick this time. I've experienced delays by the customs office up to three weeks.
I wish you good luck
G.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

In reply to by Cousins Of The…

100% in agreement with 12/10/71.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

35 years ago today I was at Oakland Auditorium, seeing the Dead. I don't remember much about the show, but I know I was there.

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

Dap# 21, 23, 30, 34, . I feel Dap 21 to be the finest. I'm not able to suggest any dicks because i lost most of them into the void. I wish the 79' billerica show would become available in the future since it has an amazing set list. This tape was the ticket when the bus came by for me in 85'.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

Jim, that's a great category, 10/31/69. 2/9/73. 6/17/75. 5/26/73 2/17/79. Basically, there are way to many to list, but those are a few.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

I was amazed this morning when UPS delivered my copy of Neil Young Archives Vol 2.
I had tried to buy the limited version on the release day from the UK site but they had sold out. I tried the US site and after some struggles to get it to work I saw that I could order a copy. It has arrived about one week after its release date and even more surprisingly, given the cost, there was no demand for VAT.
That should fill a few hours of these rather empty days.
Stay safe, don’t travel for thanksgiving and we’ll see you on the other side when effective vaccines become available.

That’s amazing you received it that fast, but actually, I find most items show up much faster than this site’s shipping speeds. I am in Canada, and I often order CDs from a site in the UK, and I generally have them in 10 days, or less.
Was this the first issue of the NY Archives (that sold out in 24 hours) that you obtained? If so, well done! I have had to settle for the “reissue”, which will be released in March.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

That's been released.. but I'd like to see it re-released on vinyl.

user picture

Member for

4 years 4 months

1/2/72, what a great way to start 1972, it rocks.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Siana's post below appears to be written in urdu rather than arabic. For those with enquiring minds, the subject matter of the piece is automatic household baths and the maintenance thereof. Whatever, spam is spam in every language. Anyone who reads this post will naturally come to the conclusion that I have far too much time on my hands and have nothing better to do with that time than translate spam posts. 🤭

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/dave-s-picks-store/dave-s-picks-vol-36.html