• 1,665 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • nappyrags

@Vguy...probably not until tomorrow when it goes on sale...mine looks like it will arrive tomorrow finally...Dennis yup, the Doc said I have 20 maybe 25 years left...An embarassment of riches folks...#38 lands soon, I have my Armstrong box (!!!) and I have other goodies on the way...early 70's I had a two LP of Duke Ellington Live in Paris '63 that i played the crap out of....nothing like having a big band blasting out of your speakers...anyways, time marched on and I sorta forgot about it...a few weeks ago I stumbled across a track on you tube...whoa...some sniffing around on discogs.com and I found out that it had been released on CD and found a good used copy for $15! Hope you all have a great weekend y hasta

• Vguy72
    Was there a Dave's 38 official page here?....

....or am I missing something?
    Shipping notice tells me Monday.

• KeithFan2112

I appreciate the faith you all have. I think Sixtus did as good a job as any with the Dark Stars. Thanks for reposting those.

I do think E72 needs to be properly documented in writing (well beyond internet blogging). There are several facets of the E72 tour I think DeadHeads would enjoy hearing more about. We definitely like to read about the music itself (not just the concert performance summary, but also commentary on the set lists they're doing, intruments they're playing, compare / contrast the evolution of the songs to previous years, etc). The challenge is writing about this sort of thing on a song-by-song / show-by-show basis AND keeping the reader interested. That's the key right there, so if you're bored with this post already, I'm clearly not the right man for the job :D

I once read a book on the Spring '77 tour and quickly grew bored, because it was a whole lot of "they drove here, played these highlights, and the show gets 4/5 or 5/5 stars. That grew old fast before I even got to May. But I don't think writing a detailed account of the music is an impossible feat with a band whose shows are as nuanced from night to night as the Dead, and whose fans keep coming back because of these nuances. There is fertile ground here. I believe the way to keep it interesting would be to stitch it together with first-hand accounts from the band and crew members themselves.

We want details and fun road stories. Give me Sam Cutler lol (this guy was great in A Long Strange Trip)- we want to know what drugs, what time they took them, and how they procured them. If I really had a budget I would go city city and take pictures of the venues. Maybe even bring some band members with me and dig up some concert attendees.

The icing on the cake would be a companion soundtrack. Read chapter One, then listen to tracks 1, 2 and 3, etc. Heck, you could even use extra interview footage in between tracks.

It's nice to dream.

• deadtony

Mr.Postman came through today, hitting me up with#8699 in my mailbox! Haven't received a pick before the release date in quite some time. Almost thru with disc 1...top notch stuff here!

• DeadVikes

Thin, you lucky bastard. I guess they are making it up to you.

I still don't have an E-mail. WTF. What kind of list did I get on?

Enjoy it fellas.

• dmcvt

Carlsburg Elephant... back in the malted days, a great favorite along with MacEwans Scottish ales and Spaten Oktoberfest. Dap 38 #737 hit the east coast of Vermont yesterday, perfect rainy day listening for today. A ton of music here, somewheres around five hours between the four discs. Have been diving deep into Eberhard Weber (Pendulum etc), time to rock out for a bit. Happy listening, some very fine stuff here.

• Sixtus_

CHEERS to Deadhead Brewer!

Oh and #548 was just plucked from my mailbox; I hit the Bonus Disc first and aside from the little extra surprise inside, the disc contents themselves are near other-worldy to which Thin has most recently alluded. Now I'm in the full show proper and getting my bearings but '73 as always is welcome music to these eager ears.

Sixtus

• Thin

Why no comments on DaP38 yet?

A few things:
    1) It's pretty cool not seeing the art until you actually open the package.
    2) There's some "killer filler" in the main 3 discs as well as the bonus disc. About an hour and 52 minutes total from 9/7/73. Woohoo!
    3) Bonus disc is crazy good - one of those discs with ALL killer stuff, long jams, no fluff. Rivals DaP2 for best bonus disc so far.
    4) This show is Sofa King good.

• Deadheadbrewer

Yes, it was just last spring that I endeavored to go through my basically-untouched Europe '72 box, on the anniversary dates, with beer/wine from that city/region in hand. I offered my listening notes (didn't make tasting notes--that would have been good . . . ) to the world, and got a few takers. The offer still stands--PM me.

Fun project, but I would not do it again. If I did, I would stick to a small handful of the best first sets, then use my time and energy for all the second sets. As well-played as they were, the first sets got a bit tiring, and I found it almost a chore to sit through them. My favorite beer of the tour was probably Carlsberg Elephant.

Jim, please check PM.

• Sixtus_

...I also recall an awesome/unique posting from DHBrewer with said beer pairings for various shows on the E'72 tour, with (what I recall) were localized libations paired up with shows from the same city of beverage origin.

Two Grate Things That Go Grate Together.

...and thanks for the support on the DS breakdowns - that was actually a pretty fun and informative experience from my recollection. It certainly helped me hone in on a favorite of the tour (4/14).

Be Well Peeps!
    Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

is a thing of beauty!

#17449 in the desert southwest, no notice. thank you Dave!

and a sweet Candyman!

Onward!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

I haven't heard that word since the 12 days of Christmas by Bob and Doug Mckenzie..... Which was just last month I guess. That one's been on my Christmas playlist for Thirty years. Well I'm expecting mine by nightfall.

I was hoping for a stellar brown-eyed women, But the feedback isn't so good. All I really care about is the solo on that one. Not really looking forward to rhythm devils, disco dancing, or 2 Around and around 's At least throw in the US blues Pittsburgh instead of a dupe. Well, I like April 78, so hopefully this is going to be a good one.

user picture

Member for

14 years 5 months

Due to the third April 78 release and length of the show ... but this release is brilliant from beginning to end. Thank you Dave and everyone involved. ✌

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

Just started listening, very clean recording. Doing the Scarlet - Dancing right now, I like the way Scarlet is travelling.

Ice Cream and Hal - downloads,,,,,, still haven't gotten mine!!! :-) It's really become my personal joke, one small point of pride to be exact.

Ok, Dancing has just started, time for lights out and turning my disco ball on. OH, YEAH........

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by dissident1980

Oh wait...thats not right...We Are Everywhere!!!

This morning I was flipping by the business news channels, yeah I am a business guy, have to pay for releases and all; and at 9:23 EST, I flipped from CNBC to FoxBusiness. Maybe some of you have been watching the debates going on with GameStop and the youngins rising up against the old cronies. Any way, it has to do with Robinhood app. and all of that, which of course Robinhood stole from the rich to give to the poor. At 9:23 I pass by Fox Business for about 10 seconds and what do I hear???

The record version of Shakedown Street. Obviously, we are everywhere as some producer recognized what was going on with Robinhood and Gamestop and tied it in to a Shakedown. Nice.

They went to commercial with a picture of Stewart Varney.

With his big smile and Shakedown going... I wondered if he got high for that picture...hmmmm

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by bluecrow

Great news Bluecrow.
Just curious, what does your tracking indicate in your order status on this site?

Just trying to figure this shipping out.
To date, I have never received a release without a tracking notification Email.

And did anyone buy this a la carte last week and receive it?

The promise was subscribers would be the first to receive the releases this year.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Man I hate that. Thing is, I noticed a few years back the sloppiness of the USPS. I had packages that were being scanned as delivered when they weren't so I started paying attention. I would usually get the package later in the day or a day or two later. It makes me think of Newman...NEWMAN!!!

What I believe was going on, was the postal employee was scanning a whole neighborhood's packages as being delivered, instead of scanning them when they hit the porch. Then, when they got back to the shop, they would notice they forgot to deliver, so they would take the next day , or 2, or 3...

Now where I live the USPS is run pretty darn good, but I imagine that in other parts of the country this might not be the case. Back to NEWMAN!!! I would hate to think the postal employee removed the package from sight to not make management upset, or maybe management doesn't even care. I hope you get yours today, with maybe an honest mistake and not mischief.

We may need to get the PTB to move to straight UPS delivery, I am willing to pay a few more dollars to make sure everybody gets their packages. Hal maybe order another copy but see if there is a 2 day option (Fedex, UPS) but have to pay more. Then, hopefully the first one will show up and you can sell it or gift it as mentioned.

Best of luck, no wait, I dont have mine yet either.

Good Grief!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

..nor do I have #36 yet. I did not get a tracking email or an email of any sort. If I go into the site, pull down my order and get tracking this way, which is remarkably cumbersome as I bought a couple other things on the same order, it says February 9th.

Seems awfully weird to me, I have subscribed since day 1. I'm not one to complain but... if it was random, I would at least get some releases on time. I seem to get them all quite late going back a number of years. And it doesn't seem to be getting better.

I'm happy our European friends are seemingly getting theirs in the same decade they are ordered, so improvements there.. but... Nevermind.. let me finish my first cup of coffee and I will surely be less grumpy after that. I plan to play a show that was released back when I used to get these things on time. Dave's Picks #1 anyone? Richmond '77.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

Just checked UPS tracking and it has finally showed up in the system, says Saturday delivery. I'll take it if I can get it.

Dang Jim I hate that 36 hasn't showed up. Let me know if you want me to burn a copy...

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Great idea Jim, Dave's #1 it is. I might have to get the tunic out for that one.
You are way more patient than I am. If I don't have mine by the end of this week, I will start to get a little upset. #36, you know where to find me.

Peace

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

I have a lossless copy.. thanks to one of the good ones at this site. It's ok really, but it would be nice to get one at least within two weeks of the first people that get theirs.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

could play the GOAT versions of every Grateful Dead song ever and I would not watch them.
Received my 37 yesterday. Is it just me or is this release a bit tame? No big jams, sure, some great versions of some of our favorites, ie. Deal, Morning Dew, Mississippi half step and a nice Rhythm Devils, but really? Is that all it takes to get to be a Dave's pick now? The 3rd disc of the Pitt show is the better show? Sure hope the rest of this year's subscription is better than this one this could be my last subscription. Come on Dave, just reading these boards and I have seen many a request for better shows that have not been released. I know there are still shows with killer Dark Stars/Other Ones/Drums>Space that have not been released yet, can we get those out first, then start with the filler?
on a separate note, my shipment came and it looked like the mailman tried to shove this one up the mailboxes ass instead of just putting it in the box. hope there's no damage.

user picture

Member for

15 years 5 months

Says on it's way. Saturday the 6th.

Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item FONTANA, CA

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by unkle sam

Disc 2 is where it's at for me

I personally wouldn't call Pitt the better show

that 2nd set in Pitt is a bit...brief.

Disc 2: all day long!!!

love the Passenger trainwreck moment (no pun intended)

Disc 1 is a whole lotta fun
Disc 2 is exquisite
Disc 3 is a tasty dessert

Now...Dave, I agree wholeheartedly with Unkle Sam there must be a bunch of 72, 73, 74, 68, 69, 70 shows that are itching to be released...please make it so, my touk-wearing Canadian friend. Y'all be cool.

user picture

Member for

15 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I was originally scheduled to get it today, but after the Nor'Easter this week, it made it to my local post office today and I suspect I'll get it tomorrow. Jim, I suspect while you were catching freshies in the backcountry, your DaP37 got innovatively delayed as well.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Got it a day before the tracking # even said 37 would be delivered. Going to wait until the weekend, solid show, not a long pole in the tent though, for that you need to wait 3 more months. Good luck everyone, hope there are a lot less problems this release. My copy of DaP 3 has still never shown up, and that was 9 years ago! Dead.net made it right though and they will for you too I'm sure....

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Personally, I think it's an excellent show. To each his own, but I will be playing this one again and again. Looking forward to 38!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Disagree with the reviewer in the Dead Tapers Compendium Vol 2 who rips this show. So far I've listened through NFA. So far what stands out for me is Jerry's "Mutron" tone being up front in the mix. Some of the musical peaks on PITB almost reach the level of the Madison version from 2/3/78. Dick's Picks 18 is still my favorite release from the pre-Summer tours. This show from William and Mary will take a few in depth listens.

Dave's Picks 36 is still on my mind. The energy and performances for '87 are on point. Love the crowd matrix. The audible audience responses says it all. I know it'll probably be a little while before Dave taps some more '87 Dead and hope that August Western run gets the treatment.

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Jer comes out blazing and doesn't let up. I've listened to the first set and look forward to the rest. I hear Jer leading the band through some blazing jams, especially the Half-Step, Let It Grow and Deal, and the second the boys cotton on to what Jer is doing, he takes off in incendiary fashion and almost leaves them behind, yet he's dead on each shift in tempo or melody (esp. Grow).

Yes, to each his own, you have your own ears -- use 'em! We all went to shows differently and we all approach each tape from a different place.

I reflect that being at a show and listening to a 42-year-old tape (in this particular case) are vastly different things. Live rock 'n roll is all about the energy in the room and flubs (BEW?) almost instantly slip into the past as the band blazes away into the future of the performance. A "perfectly" played show might conceivably be a tad sleepy in person, though the tape decades later sounds studio perfect. On the other hand, some folks find that a "perfectly played" show makes a boring tape. Yet when the energy is high, as in DP 37, the band is liable to knock over a few garbage cans on its way around the curve on two wheels and, despite making for a little "hairier" a tape, that energy shines through when you listen back on the tape. Just a thought... Sometimes one even has direct memory flashes if one was at the show, as was my case when they released Englishtown.

Just a couple thoughts inspired by DP 37. Really enjoying it. And lots more to come tonight.

As for someone who suggested here or elsewhere that this show beats 7-8-78 at the Rocks, getthefuckouttahere!!! Let's not get carried away. Or, wait, isn't that our specialty?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

Thanks, Gary. Yeah, I went ahead and ordered a new one. Maybe they'll reimburse me. I'm not sure if Rhino replaces lost discs or whether it's just the risk we all take and I have to eat the $40 loss. I wrote customer service, but still haven't received a reply. I'm sure they're understaffed and overwhelmed in this COVID world of ours. I've ordered just about every release and this is the first one to go missing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 1 month

On Jan. 27th I received an email telling me DP 37 had shipped. Today after tracking it says it should be delivered Friday 2/5 by 10PM. On the one hand , it doesn't matter that much, but at the same time WTF kind of shipping nonsense is this. Same issue with the last release. I realize you folks aren't Amazon but surely you can do better than this. And while I'm at it, Grateful Dead Teas? The Marketing Never Stopped. Keep the mother rolling I guess.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

No pressure Dave, but I just spent 14 quid + 10 quid shipping for that Chocolate Watch band cd. Based solely on your recommendation. I'll let you know how it works out.
Hendrix-Not only do I like being at shows where the band screws up, I like tapes of said shows also. It does 2 specific things for me that I like: that being, proves it is human beings playing instruments, and for me, makes the show WAY MORE interesting. Don't ask me why, I just dig a good flub every now and again.

By the way DAVE, there were only 2 copies left of the CWB cd. Why is it when there are only 1 or 2 copies of something, it makes me want it EVEN MORE!! Also, back in the Record Store days, when there was an item that looked great, and I wanted it, but not enough to shell out the clams, when it finally did disappear from stock, That was when I absolutely HAD TO HAVE IT!! This happen to anyone else over the years??

Music is the Best!!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Hal_M

Hal, such a bummer. Hope it gets straighted for you.
Unfortunately, Rhino doesn't have anything to do with the shipping. They starting outsourcing this is a third party that ships something like 90% of all music in the US. I have an acquaintance that works for a different music company based in CA that distributes some other Dead music from time to time and he indicated they use to partner with Warner and Rhino but had to stop after they started using this third party. He said it was the biggest cluster f.. k he had ever seen in his life. There would be gigantic palettes of CDs laying around and no one would now what to do with them or where they should go.
He said it was the most unorganized system he had ever seen and they had to end that relationship or they felt their business would have suffered tremendously.
Rhino/Warner still hasn't figured that out.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Well fuckity fuck fuck. My shipping notice said it would be here by 9 p.m. but the USPS arrived already and it ain't here. I wonder if it's possible that UPS will actually be the delivery agent, and perhaps it WILL be delivered today. Took off work today and everything. The tracking # says it's at my post office, so stupid me drove there and they said "one moment Sir while we get our mail clerk with the British accent." He came out was like "oi, piss off mate, we don't have it". Pretty sure as I walked out the swinging door I heard him say "stupid bloke", but more toward me than his colleagues. I half expected him to knock on my car window and tell me to turn around and walk out the door again to make sure it hit me in the ass.

user picture

Member for

9 years 4 months

Well it goes through St. Louis
Down in Missouri
Oklahoma City looks oh so pretty
You'll see Amarillo
Gallup, New Mexico
Flagstaff, Arizona
Don't forget Wynonna
Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino

And there it sits...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

... Some are really up while others are doowwnnn..
Bummer to Hal and those dealing with the stress of uncertainty, and that, I think, for most of us is the one thing that’s really intolerable. Most folks here are reasonably patient, but this never knowing if/when etc.....NO BUENO!!
With the risk of over repetition, I’ll say what again what many feel; why can’t we chose our shipping option depending on our individual needs! For us that means gladly paying extra for direct UPS to our house since we can’t get home mail delivery....
All I can add is I’ve always eventually received what I purchased....good luck to those still waiting!
Fortunately, this time around everything went according to usual MO and they even crammed it in our PO Box so I didn’t have to risk a bunch of possible exposure waiting in line for the desk!
Haven’t checked discs yet, hope I didn’t jinx myself lol.

SHOW PURITY, FLUBS etc; though there are different kinds of flubs (hey, I know, I used to be a “musician” lol) the ones they make cause their going for it, pushing the limit, riding the edge etc, yeah, those are often highlights in and of themselves, like a sign or badge of honor that indeed they were full on going for it!
After huge weirdness i,e., 72/73 DS etc, I’ll take sloppy but ragging over white bread any day, but like HF said, everyone’s got their own reference points, so hey that’s just me, probably why I like years like 68/69, and 84/85 more than say 77 or 87, though I like em all!
Good to see so many folks participating here, wish there weren’t so many due to uncertainty anxiety.

user picture

Member for

6 years 1 month

As a Canadian, I took me a while to decipher all this talk about Dave's "touk." Didn't realize there was an alternate American spelling of "toque." You learn something new everyday.

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I have also noticed with local USPS that there can be multiple drivers delivering. So you might get it tonight, I hope so. In my neighborhood I have seen 3 USPS delivery jeeps at once. One delivering mail and 2 delivery Amazon, et al. shipping packages.

You might also see USPS on a Sunday. Not delivering mail, living up to contracts with Amazon or Fedex/UPS.

What is a little disconcerting is a British person working for USPS. He probably married a US citizen but still, government or quasi government employees should be US natural born citizens.

Just 2cents, which makes no sense.

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

I've only listened to the whole thing once, and even that was in a sense incomplete, because as I noted in a previous, my DaP 37 disc one is defective, but let me affirm what some of our brethren hath said: The music here alternates between some very sloppy playing and a few high highlights.

I think I read somewhere that the goal of the Dave's series is present full shows that are typical of their era, but which also stand out from the pack in some way. Which is a different thing than just saying "we're going to release the very best music we have available." On its own terms, this release is very successful: it seems pretty typical of what the Dead sounded like in '78, which is probably no one's favorite year but not a bad one, either. It's notable for the only "Dew" of the year, and we also get "Passenger", "Candyman", "Sunrise," and an unusual drum break. And then on the bonus material there's an outstanding "Scar>Dancing>Rhythm>Samson" sequence.

That said, there's a lot of slop here. The drummers do not have it together, and they step on each other's playing over and over again. Have you ever heard the Dead struggle to find a groove on "Tennessee Jed"? Well, you will if you listen to DaP 37. Now, they eventually find one, and it's a different groove than just about Jed I've ever heard, and maybe for some people that makes it worthwhile, but it's painful, bumpy ride to that point. That's just one example, but there are plenty others. "Saturday Night" never really finds a groove, either. And it's definitely weird to get a DaP where the "bonus" material is better than the featured show.

But there are some real bright spots, too. "Good Lovin" is excellent, PITB almost drowns in a sea of random percussion but gradually emerges as a pretty powerful version, and there's the aforementioned "Dew" and "Scar" sequence, which is pure joy. And maybe that's just how it was in '78: lots of uneven shows with some great highlights. So, I'm glad to have heard this material, but I doubt if I'll wind up returning to it very often, other than a few of the highlights.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

Less than 500 left , Bravo ! The dead team pulled off the increase & im grateful to be a DeadHead today 🙏❤️🤠💀🌹

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Yahoo 16650 has arrived a day earlier than USPS predicted! Can't wait to spin this after reading the glowing reviews. I am a big Dew fan and have grate anticipation. I'm also really into Lazy Lightning so I'm a happy camper.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Lived in Gallup for 15 years three blocks off of old Route 66. The Garcia guitar metal sculpture in “G-town” is a must see if any Deadheads happen to be driving through. And Jerry’s Mexican Restaurant is deluxe. But don’t just drive through, take in the amazing trails and beautiful land in the area.
Gallup, rough town with many good people.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Strider 808808

Thanks Bob. I'm sure you're right.. For what it's worth I felt much better after my morning coffee.

It will be fine, looking forward to this when it comes.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by JimInMD

to this on my groovy cool headphones...I'm still not that crazy about it...rather "normal" to me...and this series has spoiled me to expect para-normal from these sets...but what the hey...

user picture

Member for

7 years 1 month

#710 / 25000 arrived today. Yes, that's correct, a coveted low number. In fact the lowest I've ever received, by far. Which is outstanding, because as everyone knows they rip the first one straight from the master and #1 has by far the best sound. As the numbers advance, the sound quality deteriorates due to well-documented principles of physics.

Yes, right here a mile high above sea level friends my ears are simply bathing in the delight of a low number release, featuring crisp highs, punchy mids and growling lows. It just doesn't get any better than this. In case you got stuck with - gasp! - something in, say, the 16,000s or worse, just imagine how much better a low-numbered release would sound. Ah, yes the grass is greener down here, as they say.

But don't fret, I too suffered with unbearably high-numbered releases for years until, finally, lady luck paid a visit. Keep your dreams alive and one day you too may be so fortunate. Ahhhh.... sheer musical bliss. I'm ecstatic.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 5 months

In reply to by LedDed

Speaking of screw-ups....saw Trey at the Danforth Music Hall a few years ago. He forgot to words to Broken Social Scene, stopped the show laughing and asked everyone to forget what they heard.

Kind of made the show, if you ask me.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by d-rock

To me, the filler is not better than the main course. But it’s still good.

Never had these shows on cassette as far as I can remember, so I’m glad to get a first listen from such a great sounding release.

I had 4-16-78 on cassette (I think that set 2 required a 110 min) and listened to it extensively. So much so that I don’t think that I’ve ever listened to it in digital format. Will resolve that issue this weekend. It’s been so long that it might sound like an unheard show to me.

Anyway, thanks Dave and Co/Betty/ABCD for this release .
Keep them coming........

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by LedDed

I have it on good authority that they rip the highest number first, package it.. and stack it so when they are done #1 is on top and #25,000 is on the bottom in a perfect sequential stack. It's an old accounting audit function that's long engrained in industry norms.

You'd be forgiven to just throw that low numbered copy in the trash and take your chances on EBay. Beware though.. those high numbers covet higher bids, everyone knows how quickly those copies degrade. Damn you physics!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Sold out in less than six days. Not bad for the 25,000 run.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

sorry, was at work and couldn't answer sooner. still no email notice. order status changed since i last looked 3(?) days ago and shows that it was processing / shipped. tracking history on USPS shows it was picked up by UPS on Jan 27. delivered yesterday. The move from that cursed warehouse in Kentucky(?) to California has meant smooth delivery here in Utah. Old days it could wander all over the place, but it always found its way here. hope it shows up soon at your door and same for everybody else still waiting (its coming Jim, I swear.)

decided to take a step back and another step back and cue up the beginning of the show. Yep I like it!

user picture

Member for

6 years 11 months

I wonder if it really matters how many copies from the first copy makes any real difference in sound. I thought it only diminishes with magnetic tape and not new technology like cds or blu'rays and the like. Is there any science to it? Just wondering.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by carlo13

Difference.

They are not copies, they are clones. The beauty (or travesty?) of digital.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 10 months

I had an early bird order but it still shows as processing. When should I be concerned that I haven’t received a shipping email and UPS hasn’t (apparently) received it?

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

#710 - that's the address of the Dead's house on Ashbury.

This MEANS something!!

Although I don't know what. You might try licking the discs and see what happens.

Mr Ones...well, I hope you like that Chocolate Watchband cd ! One of the great unsung 60s bands, in my estimation. On their core material they seemed influenced by the British invasion bands - but lets be honest, they knocked The Stones into a cocked hat.

Another great compilation is a 4 cd set on Rhino called "Love Is The Song We Sing" and it features San Francisco bands from about 1965-1969. What's great about it is that it positions The Watchband, along with scores of other long forgotten bands-Teddy and the Patches, The Count Five-too many to list-alongside better known bands like The Dead, Quicksliver et al.

I am also very much in favour of bands/artists taking chances live and sometimes hitting it off and sometimes not-as opposed to a band who tries to repeat the same music they have played in the past. The most impressive screw up I saw was Patti Smith giving an acoustic performance at St James Church Piccadilly in London for the William Blake Society about 15 years ago. After introducing a new song she had written and explaining how much it meant to her, she closed her eyes and gently strummed an acoustic guitar. After about 20 seconds, she opened her eyes and said, with perfect timing, "I' m sorry, I've forgotten how it goes." Genius. The set ended with her dancing down the isles of the church for a fist pumping "People Have the Power." How great, to have been a part of such things

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

13 years 1 month

Sorry to pour water on all this stuff about low numbers (I.e. those pressed first) verses high numbers sounding better. With vinyl, the stampers get slowly worn with time meaning that the first pressings will always sound marginally better (although 99% of people will not notice) than later ones. As a result these stampers have to be replaced every so often. A CD stamper holds a series of computer files which are pressed onto the individual CDs at great speed. These remain constant until wear and tear/stray debris, etc. causes error codes to be introduced to the files. Professional pressing plants have a monitoring system for this and when errors are recorded then the stamper is replaced. The errors will not show themselves in a general decline in sound quality but in sudden distortion, jumps and gaps and ultimately discs refusing to play.

A common occurrence with these Rhino releases.

Anyway, the number printed on the paper and plastic holder does not correspond to the production number of the discs.
The discs are pressed and later placed in the holder. So, the first pressed disc would go on the bottom of the spindle, and the next would go on top of it, etc. The last pressed disc would be on the top of the stack and would be taken off the stack and placed in box number 1.

Also, Led was being facetious.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-37.html