• 1,665 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Gary Farseer

If I had missed the page for the sale of #38. Now I know this is maybe a new rule for sales. Ship subscribers and dont open for sale until the day of release. Not sure if that is true or is it the or some special artwork??? Cant wait to see. I hope it is the poster for these shows, which I have. Will write more later, not wanting to spoil the trip...

Edit: well just checked my farseer email and see the artwork. Not the poster. Email sent 10 minutes ago...

Edit 2: OOOps wrong show poster is for March shows, see old brainism

• Gary Farseer
    JoshbytheBay-Without a Net-Mind Blown Pt 1

I watched a documentary a few days back. I am sure you all have seen on the History Channel the various docs. I cant remember what the title was, and like I have written, memory aint what it used to be. It was on the building of the Golden Gate Bridge. I had posted a few years back that on the day off during the NYE1987 run, my friends and I walked to the mid-point of the Golden Gate Bridge and back, somewhere around 10 pm. It was super cold and a strong western wind. In the documentary, it talked about them at one point putting up a net to protect the bridge builders. I also remember a couple of years back that they had a drive to collect money to put another permanent net type device to prevent jumpers. Any way, long story short, I never put it together that the live album, Without a Net, was not just shot in the dark title (about the circus coming to town and the razor's edge of improvisation without a net) but also some San Fran history to boot. Those guys were on top of so much Americana that it is mind blowing.

• snafu
    Default Avatar

I wouldn't worry about a shipping notice. For #36 I never received one but it came the usual 4 days after date like all the others. Come to think of it a notice has been an iffy thing. More than a couple of times I didn't get one yet it came nonetheless.

• Vguy72

....I want that glass.

• icecrmcnkd

Get out of bed, brew some GD tea, and upload that chat.

• 1stshow70878

No worries Jimbobwe and Proudfoot. Keep the faith. I was thinking the same then got my shipping notice here in Colorado this week showing Monday 5-3 for delivery. You never know. My July '78 box is #36/15,000.
    Cheers!

• proudfoot
    I haven't received a shipping notice yet, either

What, me worry?

With all the versions of "The Shipping Blues" in the past, one might.

Give it until at least next Friday before any panicking.

No, I am still not a robot.

• Jimbobwe

MDA - I also live in Colorado and have yet to receive a shipping confirmation email...we must be the last batch of subscriptions to ship. Hopefully we hear something soon.

• MDA
    Default Avatar

I have been seeing that a bunch of people have had their 38s for a few days now. I’m sitting here in Colorado still waiting on a shipping notice. Should I be worried??

• Sixtus_

...I've noticed this same thing on the sound Thin. You've described it pretty well. And, I don't hear a whole ton of Phil either, which usually helps to solidify and round out the overall sound with some deeper depth. Not so much here. I assume it's because of the limitations of a two-track to some extent.

I will say though, the 'Let Me Sing Your Blues Away' caught me surely off guard, where I had to stop and do a double take before a huge grin took over my stolen face. It's a pretty jaunty tune, a shame it was shelved so soon.

Hope Others' are receiving theirs and enjoying the ride - off to get #2 JAB shortly, here's to hoping for no adverse events!

Sixtus

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Mr. Ones

Yes, wow vguy. Listening now, the pedal steel...

Dillon Gym, Princeton University. Thank you, Doc for bringing this show up for its 50th anniversary. One of my favorites from this Springtime college tour of 1971.
In my opinion, I believe that it was David Gans & Peter Simon's book, "Playing In The Band," first published in 1985 that put the spotlight on this show. There is a chapter on PigPen and his rap during Good Lovin'is published more or less verbatim.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

These early '71 Lovelights are something else.

Immediately thought similar thing....and others lol...

Borncrosseyed : thanks for the tip, I haven’t checked out that book in many years.
So since we’ve been diving into the April 71 shuffle sounds like a good time to break it out!

Mikaela on Harp
Holly on keys
Sheryl Crow on Bass/vocals and/or Esmerelda Spaulding on bass
Susan Tedeski on Guitar
Cindy Blackman Santana on skins
And Edie Brickell on vocals with Natalie Merchant doing various
and perhaps Lindsey Sterling on Fiddle, oh yeah, maybe Alison Kraus and....?
Who else?

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

She’s from Rochester and sat in with Bob and the Wolf Bros on a couple of nearby tour stops a few years back. I was fortunate enough to catch one. Very cool stuff.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....Jane Wiedlin from the Go-Go's on rhythm guitar. Yeah. I said it.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today…………….

April 18, 1971
Lusk Field House (aka “the spacecraft assembly building”), SUNY Cortland, Cortland , New York

Set 1: Cold Rain And Snow-Me And My Uncle-Bertha-Me And Bobby McGee-Next Time You See Me-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Casey Jones

Set 2: Sugar Magnolia-Second That Emotion-Truckin'-Hard To Handle-Loser-Playin' In The Band-Around And Around-Good Lovin'-Uncle John's Band

When I was a young child, and I looked up “sledgehammer” in the dictionary, the definition was, to my developing, impressionistic mind, perplexingly short: “See Cortland and Providence 1971, (verb, adjective)”. Took me years to figure that one out…….

The first night of the wonderful, thunderous, inspirational Cortland-Providence-Bangor hat trick.

One of my favorite 1971 shows and a perfect example of “the sledgehammer approach”---loud, fast, bone crunching rock and roll (as the Dead rarely played it), very edgy, skip the subtlety, fasten yer seatbelts and go directly to “pulverize”. Almost everything is a highlight, but things like Next Time You See Me, China/Rider, Truckin’ (check out the truly fierce playing by Garcia near the end), Hard To Handle, the crazed hyperkinetic Around & Around (which proves that the Dead were either the worst—or best---interpreters of Chuck Berry), and the massive Good Lovin’ stand out. If you like your rock and roll Grateful Dead style, this one’s for you! Highly highly recommended!

What time does the balloon go up?

Rock on!!

Doc
Writing is like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer. It always feels good when you finish….

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

About 30 years ago an old timer here in backwater New Mexico was talking about a harp he made. The harp maker told his friend ; “ I’m gonna take it with me when I go.” To which his friend replied, “ what’s it made out of, asbestos?.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Joan Jett Janis. Singer from the cranberries does a mellow sweet Jane.

These April shows have enough personality they should just release them all in one box.

4/18 - my copy seems to run a little slow. I have a feature to increase the tempo. They're really rocking now.

Rare Pigpen stage announcement after Next Time You See Me (following a brief discussion to get the lighting crew to dim the spots):

"Awwright Mr Electrician Man, if you mess with the lights we gonna hog-tie ya and throw your ass outta this place"

Phil: "Good old Pigpen, always ready with a kind word"

Bobby: "Never one to employ subtlety..."

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Trainwreck was an oldie but goodie. To think people are getting it at dispensary prices now... wasn't there a guy on here a few years back called Trainwreck?

user picture

Member for

12 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Hilarious.

..and Dennis, to your point, way back there were at least two kinds of weed.. brown weed and green weed. The first major evolution came with these new terms.. seeds and no seeds with seedless, thankfully, seizing the day.

This certainly dates me, but.. way back, the best kayak paddles were hand made using wood (I would argue they still are).. and I used to get them custom made by really one of the best craftsman to carve a blade (well I still do), they usually came with a name picked by either you or the paddle luthier that gets printed on the paddle underneath the epoxy and fiberglass, it's permanent. My paddle maker named my second one, "No Seeds" meaning of very high quality. It's really a work of art.. choice, fiddleback woods, etc.

Trainwreck... "Trainwreck begins its speedy hurtle through the mind with a surge of euphoria, awakening creativity and happiness. Migraines, pain, and arthritis are mowed down by Trainwreck’s high-THC content, and many patients also use it for relief of anxiety, ADD/ADHD, and PTSD" It's only 17%, some of the modern strains are approaching twice that potency. I still have to pinch myself knowing that just a decade ago they would put you jail for having a little bag of this stuff in your pocket.

Here's a pick of "no seeds"
https://imgur.com/a2CrXgB

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Haven't been getting much dead.net time during the week. This made me laugh from Jim a couple pages ago: "It's good to see highly skilled partiers practicing their craft. I think we all have our burger king cup story to tell." I have one better than the burger king cup, but I'm not sure when the statute of limitations is up.

I am jonesing for a good concert but most of my old go-to bands are done. Rush done; Yes done; Van Halen done. The list of great bands I'll never see again is getting longer - all the more reason for some reunions:

Waters, Gilmour - come on mates! Bury the hatchett already! Arena tour for the fans. I will Produce the show. Open with Obscured By Clouds => When You're In. Song opens with quiet synth in the dark...Lights come on slowly as each new layer of instrumentation joins in, red spot light on Waters when the bass comes in; a measure or two later blue spot on Gilmour when he joins in with that first guitar note. All is mellow in the music, but the crowd is amped as the colored spotlights hit Waters and Gilmour - and then bam - light up the Big Round Gong Looking Thing after the 1, 2, 3 snare drum intro to When You're In. Whole stage is lit up and the fans are on their feet. During the outo jam they'll segue into Breathe=>Time (no clock intro, just go straight into the first verse out of Breathe). A brief pause after Time and then the 17 second canned intro music to The Wall and then lay down Side One. Then end the first set with Sine on You Crazy Diamond, all parts played as one long epic (Rick Wright keyboard parts must be
replicated exactly as played on vinyl and replacement keyboard player must look like Rick Wright). Open second set with abridged version of Echoes (cut out the slow sea animal part), and then a smattering of great stuff: Fearless, Have a Cigar, Wish You Were Here, Run Like Hell, Comfortly Numb, Sheep Brain Damage=> Eclipse, maybe an abridged Dogs and maybe Hey You and Young Lust. No Money.

Stones - bring back Mick Taylor and do the best of Let it Bleed through It's Only Rock 'N Rolĺ (maybe throw in Sympathy, Hand Of Fate and Waiting On A Friend - okay and Start Me Up). Call it the Residency Tour and play 10-20 shows in 5 or 6 big cities in arena size venues and make tickets affordable. Easy Peasy. No heavy travel, just wait for the fans to come to you.

Led Zeppelin- same game plan as Stones.

Ha! Yeah Jim, that's my recollection of Trainwreck.

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

I apologize in advance for this.

In response to the Shaggy-Scooby thing, I find I must post my favorite Dad Joke, which my wife has barred me from ever speaking aloud, ever again:

Q: What is the difference between Dubai and Abu Dhabi?

A: The people of Dubai don’t like The Flintstones, but the people of Abu Dhabi do.

Interesting to speculate about Scooby’s doobies. Way back in Those Days, every group of friends had a Designated Doober. Because some people can Hooteroll better than the average Bear.

DaP 38 pre-order release on 4-30-21 according to my subscription confirmation email.
Seaside chat this week? With a Box tease?
Shipping notice emails start arriving this Friday? With tracking numbers that aren’t recognized by UPS or USPS?

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

https://youtu.be/mQoK_6QOVKg
....Here Comes Sunshine.
I don't know guys. She's pretty good.
Dug deeper and found a Cumberland!!
https://mikaeladavis.bandcamp.com/
I love finding a new artist that kicks ass. I tend to jump down that rabbit hole when it happen and focus a majority of my listening to them when that occurs. Could last a few days. Could last a month. Last victim was Yo La Tengo. Now Davis and Southern Star.
My day got brighter.

user picture

Member for

8 years 8 months

My Terrapin is choppy. I've tried cleaning the disc, importing it again. Same.
Anyone else having the same issue?

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Every crowd seems to have a magic man who can roll one with his eyes closed just about. I was NOT the doobie man...but my cousin once rolled one in very high winds in the dark, up in 700 Level at Vet Stadium on the Pink Floyd Division Bell Tour. Let it suffice to say the wind was so bad we could barely hear the opening of Astronomy (it was so low and muffled we thought it was some kind pre-recorded intro tape).

Then halfway through the show it was time to roll up again. It wasn't even his stash, but two other buddies with us were making a mess of things trying to roll this thing. He didn't complain, he didn't boast, and he didn't bask in the gratitude that was bestowed upon him for this remarkable achievement - he simply got the job done. And he had good operational awareness on top of it all, because he had the presence of mind to light it before handing it off - as if he knew getting it lit was going to be the next struggle for these guys.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

This has happened to a lot of different CDs of mine with songs toward the end of the disc, especially when the disc is at capacity (i.e. 80 minutes), which is where Terrapin is. It had to do with the CD reader / burner. You may want to try playing it on a couple of completely different CD players before ripping it, just to hear if there is choppiness. If not, you know it's your CD ROM. If that's the case you could try cleaning the laser lens thingy, or ripping it at the slowest speed possible (1x), but I've found over the years it pretty much means you need a new CD ROM or burner or whatever you're using. Good luck.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today………..

April 19, 1971
Physical Fitness Gymnasium, Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York CANCELLED SHOW

Apparently about 4500 tickets had already been sold when the show was cancelled on April 1.

Ah, what might have been……………………

Rock on!!

Doc
Don't cancel the process of creativity too early; let it flow…...

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 1 month

I've had the occasional problem when trying to rip cds that play fine on my cd player but won't rip properly even after cleaning which seems to be down to the oversensitive reader on my NAIM multi room thingy. However i've sometimes had success by using my laptop to make a cdr copy that the NAIM reads fine. Worth a try.......

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Conekid, the seaside chat for Dave's 38 will be on the release date on April 30.

If they hold to the same pattern of this year's first pick. No presales this year.

Box announcement? Who knows. I do know it has been 14 months since the last announcement. ☹️

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

First time I smoked with my older sister was when I was 15 and she was 19. On our way to the record store she rolled one completely one handed while driving the Mustang (automatic trans.). I was of course completely impressed as I couldn't roll one without a dollar bill at that point. I got better but never to that skill level. She still rolls her Drum/weed combo cigs that way when multi-tasking.
Oh yeah, that was also our first record buying trip together and my first LP purchases. She seemed impressed by my selection of The Allman Brothers Fillmore East double album but not with my second choice, Deep Purple Machine Head. Thanks Sis! Cheers all!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Allman Brothers at Fillmore East

Like your sister, I also am impressed by your choice of first lp (long playing) record.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

At the morning Patriots Day game at Fenway just now, the home run by Alex Verdugo ended up in the hands of a Head with a tie-dyed Stealie shirt; his buddy had on a similar shirt.

I think someone mentioned this a while back, but Yo La Tengo sing, "I'm listening to Wake of the Flood" in their song Drug Test. I've been using my new Qobuz streaming service to go back and listen to old albums by bands that I have only a later album by, so ran across that nugget.

Happy 4/20 Eve! ;-)

user picture

Member for

3 years 7 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

14 months since June 76 announcement?

wow.

our money is waiting, ptb.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

... I heard from a sea otter ,that besides “there ain’t no hole in the wash tub !” , the long awaited seaside chat is coming before the 30th but the walrus told me after ! Coo coo achoo I dunno, I never trusted Paul! Lol ;)
* https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQIAWh3YBs

looking forward to seeing it soon though! Have a grateful day everyone! Be safe be kind and peace be with you all my fellow brother and sisters!
Ciao’ Bello!
🙏❤️💀🌹

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

Cool version of the Newport sandal being released using 1993 Garcia artwork titled "Junglescape" to benefit the Tongass rain forest in Alaska. Other models too using J. Garcia art and the limited edition model pair numbered 420/506 will be auctioned off with 100% of that going to the rain forest cause through The Wilderness Society.
We are everywhere! Cheers!
Special howdy to all the Ft. Collins, CO chapter of C.A.L.M. (citizen's association to legalize marijuana) on 4/20. They almost got a Home Rule amendment passed decriminalizing less than an ounce way back in the 1977 era. We lost by only 5% as I recall. Howdy Bill, Schmeff, Brad, et.al. from Doug C.

user picture

Member for

14 years 1 month

I was very much anticipating DaP37, as 1978 really gets my juices flowing. Overall I thought that things were a bit too disjointed for me to give the release the highest marks. I will be returning to the Half-Step, Passenger, NFA, Morning Dew, Scarlet-->Dancin', and Samson. That makes a pretty sweet hour of listening, to be certain! I've given it but one spin :) but don't know that it stacks up against the other releases from 1978.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Deadheadbrewer

Now 78 isn’t usually a go to for me, but this one really blew me away. I think personally it was the biggest, most pleasant surprise I’ve had from a release in quite some time! Sure some picks you already know are going to be great, and some you may not be sure and they don’t perhaps live up to the hype. But like some of the best shows I ever saw, went in with little or no expectations, but walked out grinning! That’s how this one was for me.
Guess I need to become more familiar with that tour lol.

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by Oroborous

Alright, it is coming before April 30. Great, when will it be released LMG?

And when will we see that 2021 Box Set announcement?

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by That Mike

I very much enjoy #37. The write-up inside I found interesting as they had a new set-up of onstage positions. The picture paints a great understanding of this fact. Depending on your listening style, you might be able to hear it. Now I haven't listened to it since around the 1st of March, but to my ears on the BBS with its incredible 3D holographic sound you can tell the new stage positioning on the recording. I find it enjoyable and the show very good, but I still prefer the older and then later on(what was it like Duke 1982 that Jerry and Brent switched sides) better.

And 4/20/84 has grown on me immensely. The China thru Terrapin is an incredible sonic journal which just sounds incredible at high altitude/attitude and volume. The Estimated is a rager. An incredible recording from Mr. Healy.

Keepin it short but sweet; smoke em if you got em. Yeah, like that is ever in question.

G

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today………..

April 21, 1971
Rhode Island Auditorium, Providence, Rhode Island

Set 1: Casey Jones-Mama Tried-Big Boss Man-Loser-Truckin'>drums>The Other One>Wharf Rat-Hard To Handle-Cumberland Blues-Bird Song-Me And Bobby McGee

Set 2: Bertha-Sugar Magnolia-Good Lovin'-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Encore: Uncle John's Band-Johnny B. Goode

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, there was RIA on 4/21/71. The force was with them. Or was it something in the water? Similar in tone to its hard rocking predecessor Cortland, but with “expanded content”, this is an underappreciated, quasi-classic that actually doesn’t get talked about a lot outside of “1971 aficionado circles”. Things get nicely weird early, five songs in they laid down the big jam sequence, followed by a wonderfully crunchy Hard To Handle. Things continue crunchy in set 2, with a non-drum solo Good Lovin’, a nice NFA suite, and an unusual two song encore which is sweet AND rocking. Highly recommended!

Rock on!!!

Doc
It is better to be the hammer than the anvil

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 1 month

I haven't wagered a guess on new releases here in a while. Could it be a 71 box set this year?
50th anniversary.

I have to say that 71 is generally not a go to year for listening for me. The past few weeks I got out my copy of skull and roses - I have a nice vinyl copy pressed in the 80s, sounds great - at it has been doing it for me. It really is a great release and fantastic compilation of the era.

That got me looking for other 71 in my collection and I have given Dave's 26 from Albuquerque a couple spins. Smoking! Not sure I fully appreciated that one when it arrived. I did not really dig the Felt form release from the year prior.

Really enjoying the spring 71 tour recap from Doc here. Gonna have to find time to give some of these a good listen.

Could it be 71 this year?

Turn it up ya'll

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Holy Phil bombs, Batman! Hard to Handle is the most intense version I've heard. Damn, Phil just ripping those power chords. He smoked on The Other One, too. Bird Song was gorgeous. Will finish this one tomorrow. Had DaP 33 10/29/77 going earlier in the car, this Providence show is far better than that one. Thanks again to Doc's spreading the Gospel of '71, this one is a certified gem! (Based on the 1st Set, and I went straight to the rumbling introduction to TOO)

ETA: just listened to Hard to Handle again. Yep, pretty outstanding, and Jerry is a monster on it, too. The whole band, really, but Phil and Jerry are just wailing at each other.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today……

April 22, 1971
Municipal Auditorium, Bangor, Maine

Set 1: Bertha-Me And My Uncle-Next Time You See Me-Loser-Playin' In The Band-Cumberland Blues-Hard To Handle-Deal-Me And Bobby McGee-Casey Jones

Set 2: China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Greatest Story Ever Told-Beat It On Down The Line-Sing Me Back Home-Good Lovin'-Johnny B. Goode

My friends, this is, without doubt, one of my great Grateful Dead guilty pleasures……….

I love it for the homey, down east vibe, the palpable closeness of the band to the audience, the stage chatter (“Don’t tune Garcia up he sings horrible”, lost car keys, and somebody needs a ride back to Boston), and of course the music, the loosey-goosey psychedelic-meets-Bakersfield that only the Dead could come up with.

OK jamsters, yes there’s no Other One, no Dark Star, not even a Truckin’. Which makes this slightly oddball for 1971. But it’s still great, and I love it! Put your lobster bibs on and dig in!!!

Rock on!!

Doc
I don't think you should feel guilty about pleasure. Defeats the purpose……..

Thank you Doc.

First, Happy Earth Day everyone.

Now back to your regularly scheduled 1971 Grunge Fest.
What a great year to discover some of these hidden '71 shows that have eluded me all these years. I am enjoying the hell out of this April run.

It's also a great excuse to revisit my library and update some of the sources I have with better copies that have magically come to light since I created my library all those years ago. Additionally, Kayak guy (anyone remember him???) would be proud.. I am doing a much better job of documenting my sources.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-37.html