• 1,665 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

The two albums where Mick Taylor really shines for me, are the Keith lite Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock n' Roll. Superb soloing by Mick T. on Time Waits For No One.

I like Ron Wood, but he seemed to adopt a kind of court jester role with The Stones which I found a bit tiresome. I do like these archival Stones live releases though - the Taylor years are still the gold standard, but the last two I got-from The Steel Wheels tour 1989 and 1998 in Beunos Aires rock like the proverbial b......Specially the 1998 one.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Maybe the universe will get tired of me…..

50 years ago today………….

April 25, 1971
    Fillmore East, New York City, New York

Set 1: Truckin'-Loser-Hard To Handle-Me And Bobby McGee-Cold Rain And Snow-The Rub-Playing In The Band-Friend Of The Devil-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Casey Jones

Set 2: Morning Dew-Beat It On Down The Line-Next Time You See Me-Bertha-Sugar Magnolia-Second That Emotion-Good Lovin'-Sing Me Back Home-“Spanish jam tuning”-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

It’s long way from Durham to the Fillmore East. About 480 miles, give or take a little………

Pinballing through New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Maine, North Carolina, and finally back once again to New York, you’d think the Dead would be tired by now…………

On this evening of wonders, they sure don’t sound tired. As so often happened, it appears the Dead upped their game being back in the big apple. They start high, and then soar. The ultra crunchy Hard To Handle. The hyperkinetic Rub. The once-in-71 Friend Of The Devil. The fine China/Rider. The powerful Dew to open the second set. The greasy Good Lovin’. The typically fine NFA suite to close it all out. Maybe not so famous as other shows in this run, but oh so worthy!!

This is classic Dead!!!

Rock on!!!

Doc
    Life is one long process of getting tired

• SPACEBROTHER

Received mine. #38 on the way. I actually forgot the show date other than the '73 part. Would be fun to receive it before the on-sale announcement for the surprise.

• cmd

Just wanted to chime in about my appreciation
    for the Mick Taylor era. As Daverock points out the real
    secret to the Stones true sound was the Jagger/Richard/Watts
    lock-down (Charlie comes in a nano-beat behind Keith).
    That said Mick Taylor played the sweetest leads for their
    material - by far. He was more instrumental in a few
    key songs than most people realize - Moonlight Mile - Keith
    passed out on the studio floor and Jagger, ever the economist
    demanded the sessions proceed and Taylor composed and played
    all guitars, Likewise with Goats Head Soup where he plays bass
    on several of the tracks as well as co-credited for Winter.
    Live by ’73 he was very frustrated with Keith’s erratic
    playing. One night MT was just expected to be the gun slinging
    guitarist while others he had to carry the show cause KR was
    checked out. The final straw came on It’s Only Rock and Roll
    when he and Jagger co-wrote “If You Really Want To Be My
    Friend”, yet when the album came out it was credited to the
    Glimmer Twins. Adios Stones …
    I always loved Ron Wood with the Faces, yet it seemed
    he really dumbed down his act when he joined the Stones.
    His best work was on Some Girls - otherwise he was all mod-rocker
    hairstyle and shades and no substance (probably just what Mick
    & Keith wanted).

• Vguy72

http://pinballmuseum.org/
    I chipped in fifty bucks to help make the move happen.
    I've got a pocket full of quarters.

• Exile On Main St.

The Stones are the one band I know as well as the Grateful Dead. Right you are about Beggars and Bleed Daverock. Taylor was not involved much. He started with the Honky Tonk Women single, which for some odd reason they used as a single and went with Country Honk for the Let It Bleed album (certainly my least favorite on the record). Played on Live with Me from that record too.. Taylor contributed substantially to Sticky Fingers through Only Rock and Roll. He One of the reasons he quit was because he was not getting the writing credits he deserved. I was surprised by your comment crow told me, but I guess if you're not a Stone Head you may not know how involved he was in the writing and recording sessions. I am surprised too hear you found his live playing a distraction. His soloing was so smooth. Prime example is Dead Flowers at the Marquee '71 -OMG unbelievable how many notes he played "in time" on such a fast little diddy, and exits right when he needs to for the next verse after improvising a solo that had a proper beginning middle and end. As far as "weaving" the China cat example is cool yes, but not mahatma Keith is talking about. He means chord weaving, where, he'll play one thing and the other guy will fill in something in between (also chord playing) but the key is that they compliment each other's playing. I would emphasize that I do not mean they playing the same thing in a different octave (this is a different technique altogether that is used to fill out guitar sound). Check out Stray Cat Blues live at the Roundhouse 1971. Mick Taylor was so good he alternate modes within a song, he could play a different solo every time, or in some cases (Midnight Rambler) Keith would start a lick and Mick would finish it for several bars. To each his own is my philosophy I just couldn't figure out where the Taylor criticism made sense. I will say this, that one live song I am too keen on his playing is the Brussels Brown Sugar where he picks up the slide and does sound like he's overplaying. But that was the only time I've heard him play slide on Brown Sugar or sound distracting. Overall he was easily the best guitarist the Stones ever had. Brian Jones was easily the best multi-instrumentalist they had, but he added his touches to music that was already written. Taylor actually composed music in the writing phase (and to his credit he played bass on some tracks that Bill Wyman was not in the studio to play on like Tumbling Dice and Happy).

• daverock

Yes, China Cat/Rider features wonderful complimentary guitar playing.

I agree with what you say about The Stones to some extent. I think Mick Taylor happened to be in the band when they made some of their greatest recordings, without necessarily contributing to them being great. Both Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed were based around Keith Richards playing, with embellishments on some songs by Brian Jones or Mick Taylor. But Keith is the only guitarist, I think, on many tracks on those two albums.

In many ways, with The Stones, the rhythm is both that, and the lead. The riffs of so many of their songs define the songs -the solos are just the icing on the cake. It doesn't matter to me too much what the soloist is doing on tracks like Jumpin' Jack Flash - its the groove that counts.

Live, the pulse is what I like most, and that is provided primarily by Keith and Charlie Watts. And again, the soloing is the secondary to the groove.

• Crow Told Me

You want to hear "the art of weaving," as Keith Richards sometimes call the two-guitar thing he supposedly loves? Listen to what Garcia and Weir do on pretty much any recording of China Cat. Or pretty much any recording, period. Because Weir is truly the master of being the Other One, playing jazzy chords and single note runs that complement Garcia's genius. And he can do it on the fly, spontaneously responding to whatever musical thoughts cross Jerry's mind.

If I say that Weir is the most under-rated guitarist in rock, I doubt if anyone here will argue with me. What he does isn't "rhythm guitar." It's more like what a great jazz pianist does.

The Stones? I mean, I love the Stones, but at least 90% of the time all that's going on with the guitarists is that one guy is playing lead and the other (almost always Keep) is playing "rhythm": ie, playing the same chords or riff over and over while the singer sings or the other guy solos. This was particularly true during the Mick Taylor years: people talk about how great he was for the band, but when I hear live recordings from that era, half the time Taylor's noodling without regard for anything anybody else is doing, and it's just a distraction. The Stones were much more interesting live with Brian Jones OR Ron Wood.

Keith's a GREAT songwriter, a great RHYTHM guitar player, AND one of the all time GREAT bullshitters.

• icecrmcnkd

Package last seen in Fontana.
    Hopefully it departs Fontana today and gets Truckin’ on.

• Green Mtn Dead

Morning all! Good news - awoke to find a shipping notice for DaP 38 AND the tracking number works and shows the package was shipped yesterday and departed Fontana around 3 am today.

So fingers cross we all get these soon. Always need a little ‘73.

Hope folks are getting access to vaccines and getting prime to see shows again.

Be well!

Ps thanks to Doc for the daily write ups on the ‘71 tour.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye! Gentle mistresses and most distinguished gentlemen, we have come upon the release of the DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37, from the Fifteenth of April in the year Nineteen Seventy-Eight, at ye olde College Of William & Mary in Williamsburg, Virginia. Cast your waistcoats and your bonnets aside, the Grateful Dead are on steady gallop from the opening high-kick of "Mississippi Half-Step" into a where are we going? where have we been? "Passenger," followed by full-on versions of "Friend Of The Devil," "El Paso," "Brown-Eyed Women," and a double-barreled "Let It Grow>Deal." Catch your breath and straighten out your tricorne because the 2nd set shows no bounds with delightful takes ("Bertha>Good Lovin'," "One More Saturday Night") and introspection ("Candyman," "Playing In The Band"). Then - great fifes and drums - it's 15 minutes of "Rhythm Devils," with band and crew gathered round to amplify the merriment before delivering a rare incantation of "Not Fade Away>Morning Dew" that sets the soul alight. Pure jollification!

The town crier's addendum:

Three bags full! Lest you feel 4/15/78 beginneth and endeth too quickly, we've selected highlights from Civic Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, 4/18/78 to satisfy your fancy.

Limited to 25,000 numbered copies, DAVE'S PICKS VOLUME 37: WILLIAMSBURG, VIRGINIA 4/15/78 was recorded by Betty Cantor-Jackson and has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. It is guaranteed to sell out - often within hours.

*2 per order. Very limited quantity available.

user picture

Member for

16 years 8 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....agreed alvarhanso. One of the best ones I've ever heard. Pig is known for botching the lyrics more often than not, but nails this take. And the rest of the band just unleashes. Tried to catch my breath afterwards, but then I had to get down to the Cumberland mine, because that where I mainly spend my time.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

So which one IS the hottest? Alvarhanso's post made me look through all my old tapes because I knew I had annotated a real raging HTH somewhere but all I found was the Hollywood Palladium from 8-6-71 which is also the one later released on the Fallout From the Phil Zone CD. At the time, I thought that was the best one I had ever heard but the 4-21-71 definitely edged it out. Phil's comments from the CD that the audience reaction on the 8-6-71 could have been from Pig doing a little jig or something he couldn't remember completely. That reaction was what probably made me think it was so hot. Had the tape long before the CD came out. Thanks for reviving 1971 for me and all of us Doc! (and thanks to Otis Reading) Cheers!

Trying to catch up an a few weeks of missed posts. Lots of Awesome Banter, as always, especially you Doc. Love the reads. I have spent some time digging out an old hard drive and double checking but it does show that I have the complete 1977-04-29 Palladium show. I think there were those still wanting that, not sure if found elsewhere. Dont get hopes up too early. I just got the files transferred to dvd as wave files. I haven't transferred a file in several years and the last batch was a whole bunch of Zappa Plays Zappa from 2008, I think. I will play around more, again I am rusty at this stuff. Getting tons of official stuff has made transferring/burning difficult for me. It is a dvd, I think I can put probably 4-5 full shows on it. Let me play around. I have not looked that closely but within the master file system, it looks like I might have all of 1977, the 77 folder. Will have to wait until tomorrow.

PS, thanks to whoever posted about Real Gone bringing back RTvol.2 #3, I think, Wall of Sound with Louisville 1974. Had that board way back when, love it. I think it might have been Nappy that posted that, but whoever it was, much appreciation!!!

G

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

You rockers!!!

Without doubt the greatest Hard To Handle ever was from 4/28/71. Blinding white noise Dead. Lesh, Weir, and Garcia playing out of their minds and out of this world, very very intense, spectacular, otherworldly, sublime. In fact, not only the greatest HTH ever, but one of the greatest Dead performances of ANY kind EVER.

Nothing else really comes close................

We'll get to all this in six days. Patience, my young apprentices.............

Doc
Sublime upon sublime scarcely presents a contrast, and we need a little rest from everything, even the beautiful......

My vote goes to 6/21/71. If for nothing else, you get the video.

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

On April 21, 1986 Brent’s demons were on display during the Grateful Dead show at the Berkeley Community Theater in Berkeley, California. Mydland stuck around during the “Drums” segment and then starts performing “Maybe You Know” which had been shelved since April 26, 1983. The version of “Maybe You Know” just features Brent and a bewildered pair of drummers who seem confused about what’s going on. The keyboardist, who was dealing with an on-going divorce and the potential separation from his daughter, shouts out a final verse of “maybe you don’t know how I’m FUCKING feeling, but maybe to you it don’t seem so real.”
*** Listen to how it went down:
*** https://www.jambase.com/article/remembering-brent-mydland-impassioned-f…

I’m actually very sad & my heart melts for Brents Pain & situation. :(.. but to be honest .I actually love the “Brent/Drums” segment!
But I love the energy of the performance in my minds eye! I missed the opportunity to attend this performance but I was most Needed in in the triangle lol. Have a grateful day everyone! 💀🌹🙏

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Finally got my DaP 37. Thanks again to Marye and Dr. Rhino for your help!

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by bigbrownie

I ordered a box set from Mosaic records over two months ago...it had a release date of April 9...eight days ago I received an email stating "It's in the wartehouse! As soon as we send you yours you will receive an email with tracking number etc..." so over a week later still no email...no tracking number...and I can't access the website...I just left a voice mail at their customer service number so we shall see...I need my Box Set!!!!

oh it's "The Complete Columbia & RCA Victor recordings of Louis Armstrong '46 - '66" Hurry please....

user picture

Member for

3 years 11 months

First listen after "seeing" all this talk...
4/22/69 @ the Ark. “The Eleven.”
Tight.
Wow!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

The 8/6 Hollywood Bowl is of course legendary, but I must need to to get a better listen, as I've always preferred the following night from DP 35. I don't recall the venue, but man, the Phil bombs that come along during the jam section / guitar solo are huge. Tonight I'll do a side by side triple comparison including 4/28 and 6/21 (is this the video where they look like they're playing in my backyard?)

I just did the 4/29 version from Ladies & Gentlemen, thinking this was the 28th Doc reefered to, but halfway through I realized I had the wrong date. So that leaves me with "have I ever even heard the 4/28 H2H?"

I might well be missing the point, but all this exposure for 1971 makes me wonder if people feel like tipping their hats to some of the sources of this great music. The last day or so I have been listening to the Complete 50s Chess recordings of Chuck Berry. He was covered so often in the 1960s and 70s, by so many-everyone from Joe Bloggs to the Jimi Hendrix Experience, that its easy to forget -if it was ever known in the first place-how great the original recordings of his songs were. And there is of course, much more. Download Howlin' Wolf on to your phone and the damn thing is likely to explode.

The Dead I listened to last night was 6/24/73, and I found myself zeroing in on Bob Weirs playing during Dark Star. What a great and unusual player he was at that time-the term "rhythm guitar", which to me implies a percussive approach, doesn't do his style justice at all. He added so much colour and texture. As Keith Richards has been wont to say - there is no such thing as lead guitar playing, or rhythm guitar playing-its all just guitar playing.

As for a box of 1969 Avalon and Ark shows, count me out. Only joking - it would be stellar.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by daverock

Today is the 50th Anniversary release date of "Sticky Fingers"...
"Woah-oh, what I want to know, where does the time go?"

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

But dang, we done lost Humpty.

Wonder how many even know what that means...?

Digital Underground...one of the first to make Roland 808 drum machine popular. The 808 is why we have sub-woofers today as it digitally created low end that had never been heard before. My sub creates strong low end, it even rattles my bowels. Phil bombs are intense. Never found the article I meant to post as a result of Dave' first show. It was an article concerning Meyer Sound. For Fare The Well, Meyer 18"subs were used both on stage and flown. The article has Mickey stating that Dead and Meyer were exploring the medical benefits of sub frequencies on healing. Hope some day to see how that is going. Of course that kind of healing has been going on for 25-30 years, like when they use sub waves to break up kidney stones. Hmmm...throwing kidney stones. Well that "is" stupid...

G

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

You reeled me in at "Dark Star 6/24/73". I couldn't recall which one that was - PNW box set, right, forgot about that one, and was thinking Jai-Alai. Anyway, yeah, the Lone Dark Star from the six show box set. That bummed me a little, but hey, they were going for a theme. Hmmmm, maybe that's why it hasn't sold out yet. Not enough Dark Stars.... If all six(6) shows featured a Dark Star, would it have sold out already? Probably not. I don't know, maybe. I bought it regardless, but I would buy any half dozen new shows from '73 - '74. I guess the question is why didn't some people buy it? Anyway, tangent.

I also enjoy listening to Bobby on Dark Stars. I think one of those Doc 1971 soundboards has him mixed up very loud. St Stephen was another one from that show where I was just intrigued by his playing. I'm listening to 6/23/74 DS now, and yeah...this is good stuff. I used to listen to this one a lot + the Eyes of the World it goes into, but it's been awhile.
The Keith Richards comment definitely described the Rolling Stones approach. The solo he plays on Sympathy is fantastic. And then you get into the era with Mick Taylor, and it's Mick who plays rhythm on Bitch while Keith plays the fills. Then there is the multiple guitar weaving rhythm thing he loves to do with a second player. He gets into some discussion on that in his autobiography, (which is great).

user picture

Member for

8 years 7 months

In reply to by Gary Farseer

Article says he had a known drug problem. Please be careful those of you that might buy street drugs. Been there done that. A close friend of mine, I write occasionally about the band Brother Cane, he was in that band. His son passed away 2 weeks ago tonight. His son was 27. I have not spoken to my friend yet as they have closed camp in this time of intense grief. Word is that his son was smoking meth, but it was laced with fentanyl. A small group of bandmates all died together as they passed it around. His son was an up and coming musician just on the cuff of making it big. Makes me think Humpty died the same way in a Tampa hotel room. Man, what a good and humane drug policy would do for this country. I listen mostly to and support Dr. Carl Hart of Columbia University (yeah that Columbia) who thinks all drugs should be decriminalized. His area of expertise is neuropsychopharmacology. There is a good bit I could write about him but won't today. Any way, decriminalize all but makes plants completely legal. That would start a huge shift in bringing down the incarcerated. It is a total abomination that this country is now allowing private prisons. Great job idiots of Washington, those with no wisdom, worshiping at the alter of money. How long will it take the evil ones to lobby for more people to put in their private prisons. Any way, sorry for that, I pledged I would not write about politics or religion so that is far as I will go.

Here is Dr. Hart:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Hart

EDIT: Click this one, lets see if we can ring Columbia's bell. Ding Dong!

https://psychology.columbia.edu/content/carl-hart

Here is an article from yesterday on fentanyl:
https://scpr.org/news/2021/04/22/97534/overdose-deaths-surged-in-pandem…

So hoping Humpty didnt die alone on fent.

And for your information, there could be a day when I need a good dose of fentanyl.

Sorry for the rant,

G

On the positive, got me some 71 waitin!

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

Keithfan - sorry about that, I should have been clearer about signposting where 6/24/73 can best be found-the PNW box. I am also amazed that this one hasn't sold out. I speedily snapped it up on the day of release, expecting it to be gone by the end of the week-and here we are. Maybe some people have been put off by the vocal drop outs on 5/19/74, and the few minutes it takes to to get the sound right on the 74 shows. But, as I think you have said earlier, the overall sound quality is superb for all 6. That Dark Star is the highlight of the 73 shows, although The Other One jam on 26th is also exceptional. What it lacks in the rock power and psych flavourings of earlier years is more than made up by its spiralling jazz like sections. Led by Phil, a lot of it-not so much Jerry on "lead" guitar".

With The Stones, I was very surprised to see Keith Richards take the lead breaks on Bitch, rather than Mick Taylor when I first saw videos from 1971-72. I assumed Keith's observations of guitar weaving and meshing of lead and rhythm referred more to the Brian Jones and Ron Wood eras than when he was playing with Mick Taylor. Especially as Mick Taylor was such a fluid soloist, and Keith perfected and often played in open G between 1969-1973 - which I always thought was more suited to riffs and chords than single noted runs. Shows what I know.

Gary-drug laws have been responsible for an astronomical amount of avoidable deaths and preventable misery in Britain too.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today……

April 24, 1971
Wallace Wade Stadium, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina

Set 1: Truckin'-Deal-Hard To Handle-Me And Bobby McGee-Bertha-Playin' In The Band-Cumberland Blues-Next Time You See Me-Loser-Sugar Magnolia-Casey Jones

Set 2: Good Lovin'-Me And My Uncle-Sing Me Back Home-Greatest Story Ever Told>Johnny B. Goode-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away-Uncle John's Band

It’s a long way from Bangor, Maine to Durham, North Carolina. About 930 miles…..

Sometimes being “average” results from being caught between twin pillars of excellence, it “suffers from comparison”. Stuck between Cortland-Providence-Bangor and the Fillmore East, Durham sometimes seems like the waylaid orphan of April 1971 Dead shows. It ain’t classic, but it ain’t chopped liver either…….

Ric Carter took excellent photos of the show and they are worth checking out. In those images you’ll see that Lesh is playing an SG-type bass, Garcia appears to be using a Guild, SG-like guitar, and Weir has a Gibson, ES175/225-ish guitar. Did they arrive on time, but their guitars didn’t????

Rock on!!

Doc
Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common……

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

Morning all! Good news - awoke to find a shipping notice for DaP 38 AND the tracking number works and shows the package was shipped yesterday and departed Fontana around 3 am today.

So fingers cross we all get these soon. Always need a little ‘73.

Hope folks are getting access to vaccines and getting prime to see shows again.

Be well!

Ps thanks to Doc for the daily write ups on the ‘71 tour.

user picture

Member for

3 years 5 months

You want to hear "the art of weaving," as Keith Richards sometimes call the two-guitar thing he supposedly loves? Listen to what Garcia and Weir do on pretty much any recording of China Cat. Or pretty much any recording, period. Because Weir is truly the master of being the Other One, playing jazzy chords and single note runs that complement Garcia's genius. And he can do it on the fly, spontaneously responding to whatever musical thoughts cross Jerry's mind.

If I say that Weir is the most under-rated guitarist in rock, I doubt if anyone here will argue with me. What he does isn't "rhythm guitar." It's more like what a great jazz pianist does.

The Stones? I mean, I love the Stones, but at least 90% of the time all that's going on with the guitarists is that one guy is playing lead and the other (almost always Keep) is playing "rhythm": ie, playing the same chords or riff over and over while the singer sings or the other guy solos. This was particularly true during the Mick Taylor years: people talk about how great he was for the band, but when I hear live recordings from that era, half the time Taylor's noodling without regard for anything anybody else is doing, and it's just a distraction. The Stones were much more interesting live with Brian Jones OR Ron Wood.

Keith's a GREAT songwriter, a great RHYTHM guitar player, AND one of the all time GREAT bullshitters.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by Crow Told Me

Yes, China Cat/Rider features wonderful complimentary guitar playing.

I agree with what you say about The Stones to some extent. I think Mick Taylor happened to be in the band when they made some of their greatest recordings, without necessarily contributing to them being great. Both Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed were based around Keith Richards playing, with embellishments on some songs by Brian Jones or Mick Taylor. But Keith is the only guitarist, I think, on many tracks on those two albums.

In many ways, with The Stones, the rhythm is both that, and the lead. The riffs of so many of their songs define the songs -the solos are just the icing on the cake. It doesn't matter to me too much what the soloist is doing on tracks like Jumpin' Jack Flash - its the groove that counts.

Live, the pulse is what I like most, and that is provided primarily by Keith and Charlie Watts. And again, the soloing is the secondary to the groove.

user picture

Member for

5 years 7 months

The Stones are the one band I know as well as the Grateful Dead. Right you are about Beggars and Bleed Daverock. Taylor was not involved much. He started with the Honky Tonk Women single, which for some odd reason they used as a single and went with Country Honk for the Let It Bleed album (certainly my least favorite on the record). Played on Live with Me from that record too.. Taylor contributed substantially to Sticky Fingers through Only Rock and Roll. He One of the reasons he quit was because he was not getting the writing credits he deserved. I was surprised by your comment crow told me, but I guess if you're not a Stone Head you may not know how involved he was in the writing and recording sessions. I am surprised too hear you found his live playing a distraction. His soloing was so smooth. Prime example is Dead Flowers at the Marquee '71 -OMG unbelievable how many notes he played "in time" on such a fast little diddy, and exits right when he needs to for the next verse after improvising a solo that had a proper beginning middle and end. As far as "weaving" the China cat example is cool yes, but not mahatma Keith is talking about. He means chord weaving, where, he'll play one thing and the other guy will fill in something in between (also chord playing) but the key is that they compliment each other's playing. I would emphasize that I do not mean they playing the same thing in a different octave (this is a different technique altogether that is used to fill out guitar sound). Check out Stray Cat Blues live at the Roundhouse 1971. Mick Taylor was so good he alternate modes within a song, he could play a different solo every time, or in some cases (Midnight Rambler) Keith would start a lick and Mick would finish it for several bars. To each his own is my philosophy I just couldn't figure out where the Taylor criticism made sense. I will say this, that one live song I am too keen on his playing is the Brussels Brown Sugar where he picks up the slide and does sound like he's overplaying. But that was the only time I've heard him play slide on Brown Sugar or sound distracting. Overall he was easily the best guitarist the Stones ever had. Brian Jones was easily the best multi-instrumentalist they had, but he added his touches to music that was already written. Taylor actually composed music in the writing phase (and to his credit he played bass on some tracks that Bill Wyman was not in the studio to play on like Tumbling Dice and Happy).

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

In reply to by Exile On Main St.

Just wanted to chime in about my appreciation
for the Mick Taylor era. As Daverock points out the real
secret to the Stones true sound was the Jagger/Richard/Watts
lock-down (Charlie comes in a nano-beat behind Keith).
That said Mick Taylor played the sweetest leads for their
material - by far. He was more instrumental in a few
key songs than most people realize - Moonlight Mile - Keith
passed out on the studio floor and Jagger, ever the economist
demanded the sessions proceed and Taylor composed and played
all guitars, Likewise with Goats Head Soup where he plays bass
on several of the tracks as well as co-credited for Winter.
Live by ’73 he was very frustrated with Keith’s erratic
playing. One night MT was just expected to be the gun slinging
guitarist while others he had to carry the show cause KR was
checked out. The final straw came on It’s Only Rock and Roll
when he and Jagger co-wrote “If You Really Want To Be My
Friend”, yet when the album came out it was credited to the
Glimmer Twins. Adios Stones …
I always loved Ron Wood with the Faces, yet it seemed
he really dumbed down his act when he joined the Stones.
His best work was on Some Girls - otherwise he was all mod-rocker
hairstyle and shades and no substance (probably just what Mick
& Keith wanted).

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Received mine. #38 on the way. I actually forgot the show date other than the '73 part. Would be fun to receive it before the on-sale announcement for the surprise.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today………….

April 25, 1971

Set 1: Truckin'-Loser-Hard To Handle-Me And Bobby McGee-Cold Rain And Snow-The Rub-Playing In The Band-Friend Of The Devil-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Casey Jones

Set 2: Morning Dew-Beat It On Down The Line-Next Time You See Me-Bertha-Sugar Magnolia-Second That Emotion-Good Lovin'-Sing Me Back Home-“Spanish jam tuning”-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

It’s long way from Durham to the Fillmore East. About 480 miles, give or take a little………

Pinballing through New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, Maine, North Carolina, and finally back once again to New York, you’d think the Dead would be tired by now…………

On this evening of wonders, they sure don’t sound tired. As so often happened, it appears the Dead upped their game being back in the big apple. They start high, and then soar. The ultra crunchy Hard To Handle. The hyperkinetic Rub. The once-in-71 Friend Of The Devil. The fine China/Rider. The powerful Dew to open the second set. The greasy Good Lovin’. The typically fine NFA suite to close it all out. Maybe not so famous as other shows in this run, but oh so worthy!!

This is classic Dead!!!

Rock on!!!

Doc
Life is one long process of getting tired

The two albums where Mick Taylor really shines for me, are the Keith lite Goats Head Soup and It's Only Rock n' Roll. Superb soloing by Mick T. on Time Waits For No One.

I like Ron Wood, but he seemed to adopt a kind of court jester role with The Stones which I found a bit tiresome. I do like these archival Stones live releases though - the Taylor years are still the gold standard, but the last two I got-from The Steel Wheels tour 1989 and 1998 in Beunos Aires rock like the proverbial b......Specially the 1998 one.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Rockin' The Rhein & Hundred Year Hall. Two great shows, one low price. I like Dark Star, Part 2 from the Rhein show. Great improv as they re-engage after Me and My Uncle. Great transition into Wharf Rat and then my all time favorite Sugar Magnolia. Yessiree it's a good one.

Get yer early fast versions of He's Gone on these two beautes as well. And Pigpen's "remember me when I'm gone" Good Lovin'

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today……

April 26, 1971

Set 1: Bertha-Me And My Uncle-Big Boss Man-Loser-Playing In The Band-Hard To Handle-Dark Star>Wharf Rat-Casey Jones

Set 2: Sugar Magnolia-It Hurts Me Too-Beat It On Down The Line-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Deal-Mama Tried-Good Lovin'-Sing Me Back Home-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

The Dead have settled in, playing a show that is nicely comfortable and focally intense. The Hard To Handle is funky and fine. The unexpected first set Star transitions into the skull album, beautiful Wharf Rat. Duane Allman sits in to start the second set, where Good Lovin’ boasts some of the greatest jamming of the entire year. Top it off with a heartfelt Sing Me Back Home and a typically solid NFA suite, and there you have it!!

As Bob Weir might say, “Mighty fine, mighty fine…………….”

Rock on!!!

Doc
The great thing about jamming is that you come in with zero preconceptions……

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Received one shipping notice but not for the second which I gift to a friend. DaP37 came very quickly to dear old Blighty so I have high hopes for this one.

user picture

Member for

15 years 9 months

50 years ago today………

April 27, 1971

Set 1: Truckin'-Mama Tried-Bertha-Next Time You See Me-Cumberland Blues-Me And Bobby McGee-Loser-Hard To Handle-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Casey Jones

Set 2: Sugar Magnolia-Deal-Me And My Uncle-Bird Song-Playing In The Band-Dire Wolf-Searchin'-Riot In Cell Block #9-Good Vibrations-I Get Around-Help Me Rhonda-Okie From Muskogee-Johnny B. Goode-Sing Me Back Home-Uncle John's Band-Turn On Your Love Light

If you’re looking for a wonderful, near perfect set of Bakersfield Dead, this first set is the one for you. Exceptionally well played and one of my favorite first sets of the year.

How to explain the second set, one of the most unusual of the year? I’m not a lover OR a hater of The Beach Boys. It was probably fun at the time, but I’m not sure it’s aged very well. Even without The Beach Boys this would have been a nice little set, one that’s capped off with a classic Lovelight!!

Certainly worth a listen!!!

Rock on,

Doc
If the Beastie Boys and the Beach Boys and Pet Shop Boys can stay boys, so can we……

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

Trying to post on the "Pick of the Day" page, but every time I get there, the system logs me out and won't let me post. Bummer. Wonder why I am able to post here but not there?

Just wanted to say that I am on board for 12/12/78. Not a show I am familiar with!

Peace

user picture

Member for

7 years 10 months

... Loving your 71’ Run, love it & thank you ‘DOC’ for sharing my friend & brother. It’s been my favorite time of the day for over a month now, so my hats off to you! I’m truly grateful & blessed to read your daily posts!
I’m starting my day with Dicks Picks #35
8/7/71, one of my favorite picks in the series! From start to finish just one primo Performance of a song after song you can hear the band get tighter, more crisp sometimes even juicy lol ha ha
Here’s to everyone having a grateful day filled with love and lots of laughter! Peace be with you all! Ciao’ my amigos
🙏❤️💀🌹

Otis, there is a secret password to post on that thread. It is Blue Horse Shoe loves Blue Star Airlines.

user picture

Member for

12 years 10 months

In reply to by DeadVikes

"Got it!" :) :) :) (Man, I haven't seen that movie in YEARS!)

I knew that my lurking would get me banned from the Cool Kids table.

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I thought he loved Anacott Steel.

I am a robot.

user picture

Member for

3 years 8 months

My DaP 38 with Bonus Disc still hasn't shipped but the April Grateful Dead Bulletin has and boy oh boy is the cover for the most recent DaP lovely! Helen Kennedy is just a fantastic artist and I hope to see more of her work in the coming months!

Just got my new Dave’s 38 and it’s very wet. The outer package was dry, but everything inside was completely soaked. The outer cardboard fell apart when I opened the package. The plastic wrapping was wet and I was hoping it would be dry inside and it wasn’t at all. The bonus disc is ruined as It is splotchy and stuck with the cardboard from the outer layer. The main release might be salvageable, but it is really wet.....it’s a bummer but hopefully tptb will take care of this. Anyone else have any issues?

Couldn't agree more BTK on 4/27/85; I stumbled upon this one about a month ago when someone from these here boards tipped me off on an adjacent show - cant recall which - but then landed on this one and man, what an amazing listen. Love the rekindled Dancin' during this spurt as the opener; also love me some pretty funky Esau - this has a stellar version. But what really did hit me was the Tom Thumb's; it starts out all slow and scant - at least compared to how I am used to hearing it - but then it picks up and hits it's mark and felt truly unique to these ears; the next several songs are just fantastic to close the 1st and then open the 2nd with a Scarlet > Eyes > GDRFB > Man Smart > WUT!!!!! Sooooo good. and that's just the top half of the 2nd act; they go on and on and on post-drums/space.
What a box this would anchor.

https://archive.org/details/gd1985-04-27.sbd.miller.25467.sbeok.shnf/gd…

Be Well People!
Sixtus

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

Would love the whole tracklist, especially the bonus disc.
Artwork: I like it a lot better than some of the busier pictures we've had (I suffered some minor retina damage from DaP 25 / Broome County), but I'm still getting a heavy skeleton vibe - possibly due to the skeletons.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/dave-s-picks/dave-s-picks-vol-37.html