• 5 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    “…and we hightailed it down to Mexico…”

There’s nothing to relieve the chill of mid-winter like a little getaway to a tropical paradise. So, when Dead & Company announced a run of shows on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula scheduled for February of 2018, several thousand happy Dead Heads quickly grabbed up every available ticket and hotel reservation and headed south of the border, to the Barcelo resort at Riviera Maya, Mexico. The excursion, appropriately named “Playing In The Sand” – quite literally, as the stage was set up right on the beach overlooking the Caribbean – provided both a sweet coda to the hugely successful fall tour of 2017 and a harbinger of more great things to come in the new year.

As this recording makes clear, the band wasted no time diving deep into the waters of collective musical adventure, kicking off the event’s opening set with a long and exploratory “Playing In The Band,” which the tone for an jam-intensive evening including such other ideal launching pads for group improvisation as “Cassidy” (one of several homages to Bob Weir’s longtime friend and songwriting partner, John Perry Barlow, who had passed away just days earlier), “Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain,” “Estimated Prophet” (with quotes from Bob Marley and John Coltrane thrown in for good measure) and “Eyes Of The World.” Other highlights included fine renditions of Grateful Dead originals like “Brown-Eyed Women” and “Althea” and well-chosen covers including “The Weight” and “Good Lovin’” (with the band infusing the latter with some regional flavor by going into bit of the classic “La Bamba,” the traditional tune that became a giant hit for rock ‘n’ roll’s first Mexican-American superstar, Ritchie Valens).

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • HaGizMo

Just to let you know, the vocals on the audio recording are both low in the mix & hollow sounding. Sort of like a show where you're in the last row in the balcony. The shows the next 2 nights (Feb 17, 18) somewhat correct this issue. One other note on vocals while we're here: Not a fan of John Mayer's voice. I'm not all too discriminating on vocalists as in I think Neil Young & Bob Dylan sound just fine. Mayer's delivery sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles combined with a read lack of vocal range.

To the music: I like the music & style here on all 3 shows. They are definately of the much slower variety. Fine if you're ok with their slower stuff.

One last thing: Someone asked where's the track list. I found it by going to the Dead & Co website. If you go to the shop & find the show(s), somewhere in there you'll see the track list. Not the easiest site to navigate, but if I can find it suspect most will figure it out.

• Eddiespacehead

Where’s da song listing s thx

• djbinder
    Default Avatar

Like Tony asked : what are the sampling and bit rates for ALAC vs FLAC? Are they the same or, as I suspect, ALAC is CD quality while the more expensive FLACs are higher resolutions - 24-bit, and 48, 96 or 192 KHz. Would appreciate a reply (as I'm sure Tony would), in order to know which option to purchase. I'd like to buy, but need this question answered so I buy the right one.
    Thanks,
    Dave

• tonymasiello
    Default Avatar

Why would the FLAC files be $5 more than the ALAC? They are both lossless formats, so presumably, I could buy the ALAC and convert to FLAC myself. Also, some details on the bit depth and sample rate of the files might be helpful. Thanks!

• direwulf

Did I actually manage to make a post again?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 1 month

“…and we hightailed it down to Mexico…”

There’s nothing to relieve the chill of mid-winter like a little getaway to a tropical paradise. So, when Dead & Company announced a run of shows on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula scheduled for February of 2018, several thousand happy Dead Heads quickly grabbed up every available ticket and hotel reservation and headed south of the border, to the Barcelo resort at Riviera Maya, Mexico. The excursion, appropriately named “Playing In The Sand” – quite literally, as the stage was set up right on the beach overlooking the Caribbean – provided both a sweet coda to the hugely successful fall tour of 2017 and a harbinger of more great things to come in the new year.

As this recording makes clear, the band wasted no time diving deep into the waters of collective musical adventure, kicking off the event’s opening set with a long and exploratory “Playing In The Band,” which the tone for an jam-intensive evening including such other ideal launching pads for group improvisation as “Cassidy” (one of several homages to Bob Weir’s longtime friend and songwriting partner, John Perry Barlow, who had passed away just days earlier), “Scarlet Begonias>Fire On The Mountain,” “Estimated Prophet” (with quotes from Bob Marley and John Coltrane thrown in for good measure) and “Eyes Of The World.” Other highlights included fine renditions of Grateful Dead originals like “Brown-Eyed Women” and “Althea” and well-chosen covers including “The Weight” and “Good Lovin’” (with the band infusing the latter with some regional flavor by going into bit of the classic “La Bamba,” the traditional tune that became a giant hit for rock ‘n’ roll’s first Mexican-American superstar, Ritchie Valens).

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Did I actually manage to make a post again?

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 10 months

Why would the FLAC files be $5 more than the ALAC? They are both lossless formats, so presumably, I could buy the ALAC and convert to FLAC myself. Also, some details on the bit depth and sample rate of the files might be helpful. Thanks!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 5 months

Like Tony asked : what are the sampling and bit rates for ALAC vs FLAC? Are they the same or, as I suspect, ALAC is CD quality while the more expensive FLACs are higher resolutions - 24-bit, and 48, 96 or 192 KHz. Would appreciate a reply (as I'm sure Tony would), in order to know which option to purchase. I'd like to buy, but need this question answered so I buy the right one.
Thanks,
Dave

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Just to let you know, the vocals on the audio recording are both low in the mix & hollow sounding. Sort of like a show where you're in the last row in the balcony. The shows the next 2 nights (Feb 17, 18) somewhat correct this issue. One other note on vocals while we're here: Not a fan of John Mayer's voice. I'm not all too discriminating on vocalists as in I think Neil Young & Bob Dylan sound just fine. Mayer's delivery sounds like he has a mouth full of marbles combined with a read lack of vocal range.

To the music: I like the music & style here on all 3 shows. They are definately of the much slower variety. Fine if you're ok with their slower stuff.

One last thing: Someone asked where's the track list. I found it by going to the Dead & Co website. If you go to the shop & find the show(s), somewhere in there you'll see the track list. Not the easiest site to navigate, but if I can find it suspect most will figure it out.

product sku
603497853304_CONFIG
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/playing-in-the-sand-riviera-maya-mx-2-15-18.html