• 24 replies
    clayv
    Default Avatar
    This is the second night of Grateful Dead’s Fillmore West show from February 1969. Includes “(Walk Me Out In The) Morning Dew” and their rendition of Slim Harpo’s blues classic, “I'm a King Bee”.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • daverock

I would agree with you there, Billy. 3/1/69 and 5/2/70 are probably my favourite shows, too. And have been since the year dot. Maybe I should say they are my favourite shows....so far.
    Best head over to Amazon UK now to see about vinyl 12/10/71. Although the cd sounds so good, it will have to be a heck of a price drop to draw me in.

• icecrmcnkd

Price drop on Amazon.
    Don’t know about the UK version.

• billy the kiddd

I imagine 3/1/69 will be coming out this week on deadnet. If I had just 2 released shows to keep , 3/1/69 would be one of them,; the other would be 5/2/70 or 5/15/70, the acoustic sets are priceless and the electric sets are great.

• daverock

Mines supposedly due on 1/14/2022. You never know, though. I ordered an apparent re-issue of Vaults 2 on vinyl in about October 2020, and after constant messages to say its release had been postponed, I finally got one saying it had been cancelled.
    5/19/74 is still available on Amazon UK too,and the price fluctuates. Its normally quite cheap for what it is. A bit of hand wringing in the reviews on Amazon about that one for the vocal drop outs. Some people want jam on it.

• icecrmcnkd

As I posted the other day, experience vinyl says “expected 1/28/21”.
    That’s 10 months ago.

Assuming that is a typo and it’s supposed to say 2022, is Rhino really going to release that around the same time as DaP41?
    And just put it out there on the internet instead of sending it to local record shops?

Considering how long it has taken to sell out 2-28-69 vinyl, I don’t think that it is sold out yet, maybe Rhino figures that the only way to unload 9000 copies is to throw them out to the internet.

Maybe it was supposed to be the 2021 Black Friday RSD release but succumbed to those pesky supply chain and shipping delays.

It’s not listed on Amazon, but I did see that 11-10-67 vinyl was still not sold out. That’s a really good one. A couple years ago I bought a second copy as backup in case I scratched the copy I had.

• daverock

This is being advertised on Amazon UK now, as a Rhino release. Described as being 3 discs. Hope it's not a bootleg.

• Dennis

I might have an extra copy coming. Somehow quantity was set to 2.

I'm in email communications with them as I type. (communications means I've sent email, but nothing from them)

I also ordered 2 & 3 from the vault,,,, I've asked them to change out 1 copy of the fillmore for from the vault 1.

We'll see! If not I will have an extra copy,,,,, I knew it would go on the secondary market so I'm only so worried, but I don't want to miss out on Vault 1.

• TJPD2
    Default Avatar

OOPs, My mistake its on Experience Vinyl

• TJPD2
    Default Avatar

Its available for pre--order on Elusive Disc. Release date 1-28-22, why no mention on this site.

• TJPD2
    Default Avatar

Hey Lamieux when you going to release the last two shows. Or you going to just keep releasing crap 1980"s shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years

This is the second night of Grateful Dead’s Fillmore West show from February 1969. Includes “(Walk Me Out In The) Morning Dew” and their rendition of Slim Harpo’s blues classic, “I'm a King Bee”.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Monumental Era/Epoch

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

4 years 8 months

May we have a CD version of this seminal recording?

user picture

Member for

10 years 2 months

Took 4 orders from 4 different sellers over the last several weeks, but it finally arrived. From England. Seriously. The seller through amazon in my own state of North Carolina shifted the delivery date from a week to six weeks within three days of the order, leading me to email them to ask if they had it in stock or not. They never answered that simple question after asking it point blank several times. But they surely put it back on sale on amazon after I got it canceled and promised it in a week's time. FYE, for whom I created an online account, just for this release, canceled the order on me after that. All the while I had called local record stores and visited a couple, all to no avail. Then I tried amazon again and trusted in the two week window promised by an online retailer in the UK, who delivered.

Finding the Bulletin in my email on the very same day just after I finally got this release and explained to my wife all the hassles I went through to procure it because unlike other releases it wasn't available at dead.net or rhino.com. Only for both to prove me a liar with this release page itself. Now, THAT, is irony.

Since I literally got a Fillmore West '69 box set with bonus disc in trade with an awesome guy here CousinsofthePioneers, I'm okay with all of this. Now I have the cd box, and have the shows on vinyl, with my favorite That's It For The Other One to come next year for RSD (the easy, simple way to do this), I'm content.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by devermb@hotmail.com

You'll be lucky! As part of the limited edition Fillmore West box set that came out circa 2005, this set, and the others-2/27, 3/1 and 3/2-look unlikely to be re-released as cds. Big shame-I missed out, not having a laptop or knowledge of this site then.
The only way round it might be to release the shows individually-so the box sets remain limited edition, but the music is released to more ears. Mind you, these vinyl editions are keeping me happy. I wish they would just release them all now instead of letting out one a year, as seems to be the current practice.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 8 months

I ordered this Monday August 26th and still no shipping notice. I did see the note at the top of the page concerning the warehouse relocation but when can I expect this to ship?

user picture

Member for

10 years

I'd be excited for a digital download of this show. This way the music gets released and those who got the box sets keep their limited edition value...... Fillmore hearts and minds......

user picture

Member for

7 years 4 months

Bought this at The Record Exchange while in Boise, and the quality of the pressing and the mastering is just fantastic. Hoping the other nights from this run will be released on vinyl someday. I own the Box Set and see no diminishing value by having these shows on vinyl.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 11 months

In reply to by daverock

I hear you on the get the vinyl shows out at once , but there is a problem with that. As you may have seen the discussions on costs involved in keeping things in stock. 3 vinyl shows at once would be expensive. Add to that the pretty obvious business decision not to keep most issue in stock permanently there would be a lot of people that would miss out

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

This is the one box they should rerelease. Possibly the most important and significant run of their career. Such a shame.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 4 months

For the price of $100 you get some of the best analog source material the dead have ever released. That being said, the quality of the pressing is far below acceptable. There is so much noise in the quieter spaces that it can take over the enjoyment of listening to some great material. So disappointed!

user picture

Member for

9 years

Wow! Wow! Wow!
What a great pressing of a show that happened over 50 years ago at Fillmore West!
If you are a fan of LIVE DEAD, you'll love this!
The engraved B side of LP 5 is simply stunning!
Thanks so much for releasing this!
(~);}

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

3 years

Best purchase (among many) of recent GD output. This is based both on the strength of the material, the sound quality, and the keepsake packaging. If you know 2/28/69, you know it is an all-time top show. If you don't know it--this is the way to step in to an absolute flex from the early, psychedelic and hard-blues version of the Dead. Spark up, drop the stylus, and be transported.

The whole side of TIFTOO, followed by the whole side of Dark Star is perfection. The Alligator/Caution is swampy Dead jam magic. Add on emotional Death Don't Have No Mercy, a raucous but sweet Morning Dew opener, and a whole lot of Pigpen (including a somewhat rare King Bee with JG on the slide, and Good Morning Little Schoolgirl with Pig on the harp).
The playing is a mix of tight and loose, with Phil dropping bombs and stepping up to a lead role - Jerry in good voice and in charge on the axe. The drummers are in psychic mind-meld, and you get Pig on hammond, and TC on organ.

It sounds like you are inside the Fillmore West.

The vinyl sounds fantastic - velvety smooth and no hiss or other noise to distract.

As close as you can get to being there!

This bus may not come by again, so go and get on and ride with Cowboy Neal at the wheel.

Absolutely- a fantastic release. If you haven't already got it, 2/27/69 is also essential. Presented in the same way, and featuring the Dark Star-St.Stephen used on Live Dead. All we need now is 3/1/69 - which I am hoping will come out on Record Store Day later this year.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

Hey Lamieux when you going to release the last two shows. Or you going to just keep releasing crap 1980"s shows.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 10 months

Its available for pre--order on Elusive Disc. Release date 1-28-22, why no mention on this site.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 10 months

OOPs, My mistake its on Experience Vinyl

user picture

Member for

11 years 4 months

I might have an extra copy coming. Somehow quantity was set to 2.

I'm in email communications with them as I type. (communications means I've sent email, but nothing from them)

I also ordered 2 & 3 from the vault,,,, I've asked them to change out 1 copy of the fillmore for from the vault 1.

We'll see! If not I will have an extra copy,,,,, I knew it would go on the secondary market so I'm only so worried, but I don't want to miss out on Vault 1.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by TJPD2

This is being advertised on Amazon UK now, as a Rhino release. Described as being 3 discs. Hope it's not a bootleg.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

As I posted the other day, experience vinyl says “expected 1/28/21”.
That’s 10 months ago.

Assuming that is a typo and it’s supposed to say 2022, is Rhino really going to release that around the same time as DaP41?
And just put it out there on the internet instead of sending it to local record shops?

Considering how long it has taken to sell out 2-28-69 vinyl, I don’t think that it is sold out yet, maybe Rhino figures that the only way to unload 9000 copies is to throw them out to the internet.

Maybe it was supposed to be the 2021 Black Friday RSD release but succumbed to those pesky supply chain and shipping delays.

It’s not listed on Amazon, but I did see that 11-10-67 vinyl was still not sold out. That’s a really good one. A couple years ago I bought a second copy as backup in case I scratched the copy I had.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

Mines supposedly due on 1/14/2022. You never know, though. I ordered an apparent re-issue of Vaults 2 on vinyl in about October 2020, and after constant messages to say its release had been postponed, I finally got one saying it had been cancelled.
5/19/74 is still available on Amazon UK too,and the price fluctuates. Its normally quite cheap for what it is. A bit of hand wringing in the reviews on Amazon about that one for the vocal drop outs. Some people want jam on it.

user picture

Member for

2 years 4 months

I imagine 3/1/69 will be coming out this week on deadnet. If I had just 2 released shows to keep , 3/1/69 would be one of them,; the other would be 5/2/70 or 5/15/70, the acoustic sets are priceless and the electric sets are great.

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

Price drop on Amazon.
Don’t know about the UK version.

user picture

Member for

9 years 6 months

In reply to by billy the kiddd

I would agree with you there, Billy. 3/1/69 and 5/2/70 are probably my favourite shows, too. And have been since the year dot. Maybe I should say they are my favourite shows....so far.
Best head over to Amazon UK now to see about vinyl 12/10/71. Although the cd sounds so good, it will have to be a heck of a price drop to draw me in.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/music/fillmore-west-san-francisco-ca-2-28-69-5lp-180g-viny.html