• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

The Giants Stadium picture. Under the excavated lattice of the structure.... they did bury Jimmy Hoffa there.

(That’s from The Simpsons. Kent Brockman to be exact)

Amazing how some so called ‘deadheads’ can spew such hatred at the Grateful Dead.

I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused Pigpen to die.
I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused the band to do massive amounts of coke in the 70’s and 80’s.
I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused Keith and Donna to be removed from the band.
I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who were supplying Jerry with heroin.
I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused Jerry to smoke a pack or more of cigarettes a day.
I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who caused Jerry to be overweight and diabetic.
I didn’t know that it was the Touchheads who put Jerry in a coma.

user picture

Member for

6 years 2 months

This is about how it usually goes Space. Somebody says they don't like your brand of Grateful Dead and you call them out. All I said was, it ain't selling out by Monday. You escalated to "Clockwork Not even worth indulging Trainwrecked and his whiny post"

So that's why. If you're going to bully me I'm going to bully you back. And look at your response. Laced with profanity. You don't find that in my post. I didn't have the most middle-class upbringing, but you truly behave like a classless toad. I'm not the only person here who's had this experience with you. Sorry to the rest I should learn to ignore him. Just frustrated with this release. My opinion.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by KeithFan2112

I saw all five of these shows and had a blast. The 89 show with the Neville’s was a real good time. The 6-17-91 show makes my top ten of the best shows I saw. The New speedway is fantastic!
However,If I got the whole box I probably wouldn’t listen to it that much, so I will settle for the single show release.
I think variety is a good thing in these releases, but I am frustrated that the Alpine 89 shows remain unreleased. RFK and Giants 89 were decent, but Alpine was great. 7-17-89 is another top ten show that I saw.
It probably won’t happen this year, but I was really hoping for Ark 69 box this year for the 50th anniversary. Dave has to know it’s the most requested box on these forums. Oh well, as George Carlin said, “ you can’t have everything where would you put it.”
Keep it kind everyone, peace.

user picture

Member for

10 years 11 months

Last nights MUAM really felt special. It brought me back to a time when I was first discovering this incredible band. For most of us the majority of our GD experience is listening to audio so it’s very sweet when we get a top shelf video offering like 6/17/91. It was really fun watching Not Fade Away Band play live before the movie. They rock! The spirit of the Dead lives on my friends. You can find it out there. We, along with good folks like David Lemieux & Company and of course the band keep this thing Truckin’ on! Thanks so much!

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

"No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Nature"

Lonely feeling deep inside
Find a corner where I can hide
Silent footsteps crowding me
Sudden darkness but I can see

No sugar tonight in my coffee
No sugar tonight in my tea
No sugar to stand beside me
No sugar to run with me

Dat'n-doo-dow dow-dat'n-doo-dow
Dat'n-doo-dow dow-dow-dow
Dat'n-doo-dow dow

In the silence of her mind
Quiet movements where I can find
Grabbing for me with her eyes
Now I'm falling from her skies

No sugar tonight in my coffee
No sugar tonight in my tea
No sugar to stand beside me
No sugar to run with me

Dat'n-doo-dow dow

Jocko says "Yes" and I believe him
When we talk about the things I say
She hasn't got the faith or the guts to leave him
When they're standing in each other's way
You're tripping back now to places you've been to
You wonder what you're gonna find
You know you've been wrong but it won't be long
Before you leave 'em all far behind

'Cause it's the new mother nature taking over
It's the new splendid lady come to call
It's the new mother nature taking over
She's gettin' us all
She's gettin' us all

Jocko said "No" when I came back last time
It's looking like I lost a friend
No use callin' 'cause the sky is fallin'
And I'm getting pretty near the end
A smoke-filled room in a corner basement
The situation must be right
A bag of goodies and a bottle of wine
We're gonna get it on right tonight

She's gettin' us all
She's gettin' us all

(Lonely feeling) Jocko says "Yes" and I believe him
(Deep inside) When we talk about the things I say
(Find a corner) She hasn't got the faith or the guts to leave him
(Where I can hide) When they're standing in each other's way
(Silent footsteps) You're tripping back now to places you've been to
(Crowding me) You wonder what you're gonna find
(Sudden darkness) You know you've been wrong and it won't be long
(But I can see) Before you leave 'em all far behind

She's gettin' us all
She's gettin' us all

Dat'n-doo-dow dow

Dat'n-doo-dow dow

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 9 months

I started going to shows in ‘87 when I was 16 years old. Never had I felt so at home with a bunch of freaks that loved the music as much as I did. I would always get lost in the music and danced. Danced like no one was watching and it felt at “home” with a family of like minded spirits that always looked after one another. It made me the man I am today- (as I turn 50! on Aug 12th.....) Truly- “Where does the time go?”
I was at 3 of the 5 shows on this box set and always felt blessed to be there.....
We are truly fortunate to have these shows to add to an amazing collection of consistent, clear and downright magical memories and reliving of the good ol’ days when we were fearlessly having the adventure of a lifetime with fellow freaks and the loving, caring fellowship of like minded explorers of happiness.
You know what I mean ‘cause you were there too......
Happy Birthday dear Jerry. You and the boys made me who I am today and I am grateful for that. Love is contagious and I done did get my fill.....
Peace to you all....

This is what we have this fine year:

2/26/77 Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino CA
2/2&3/70 Fillmore East, NYNY
10/9&10/1980 Radio City, NYNY
12/3/89 Uptown Theatre, Chicago IL
7/12/87 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (24 track master)
7/9/89 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (24 track master)
7/10/89 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (24 track master)
6/16/91 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (48 track master)
6/17/89 Giants Stadium, East Rutherford NJ (48 track master)

If we get a 68 or 69 for Dave's Picks 32 (and there is a good chance we will) I would say all era's were pretty well covered.

A very good year. 2018, a very good year and a very good box set. If you reflect back to April, 1991 when One from the Vault was released.. we have come a long way and I haven't missed one yet. I seem to have a similar attitude as Mr. Pete. These are good times.

I suggest we find a way to capture some of that misplaced hostility and negativity, stuff it into a pipe and smoke it.

Happy days all, have a great summer.. if you get confused, listen to the music play.

Indeed a good year Jim - really something for everybody.

Almost forgot about the Warfield discs. Man, I wore them out when I got them and that was only a few months ago. Time goes by too fast...

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

We are Deadheads.

Sheesh, y'all. some very grumpy people around here.

for the most part, we are civil.

amazing how a band that has not existed in real time since 1995 can get some so riled up.

if Grateful Dead be the food of my heart, mind, and soul, play on. (thanks to WS)

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

I have to admit, my mouth is hanging open at the moment. I CANNOT believe what I am reading here.

If you don't like this box, or this line up of the band, don't buy it. Even come on here and explain why. But to come on here and just shit on something that a lot of fans are happy to buy is just plain meanness and stupidity.

I thought everyone here was a fan of the band? Guess that was my naivete. Some are so stuck in their ways and hard headedness that they cannot be open minded. Why put this box down? Don't buy it and that leaves one for somebody who does want it.

C'mon people. We are all Dead Heads here and we are all entitled to our opinions, but why would you attack someone who has a different like then you? I am 66 years old, got on the bus in '72, saw my first show in '73, but I love all 30 years worth of music. The transformation of the band I always found joyous and interesting. I hope that I never grow up to be so closed minded and bitter as some of you out there.

Long live the good old Grateful Dead in all of its incarnations!

Rock on

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I was at several shows in 1991. The most fun I had was a tie between Las Vegas and the Deer Creek > Buckeye Lake segment, and the best show I saw was RFK.

I was at the June 16th show at Giants and recall only that it was a totally unremarkable lot scene and venue. Not sure why this place gets featured in a box set release, other than a lot of $$$ lives in the region and might get excited to buy this.

Maybe now this is out we can get back to focusing on good music? The Dead were at their best August 1968 - June 1977 and I'm hoping we don't stray outside that range too often.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Wasn't the PNW box all summer?? Is it bad that I am already wondering not only what 32 will be.... but I also thought this morning what 33 would be so subscription number could jump to 22,000!!!! What's wrong with me!!! This is while i listen to the Scarlet>Fire from 12/3/79............. (Going with 5/26/73 Kezar by the way) Have a good weekend everyone.. bob t

Not sure where to begin.

Will just add a couple things: First, I think it’s obvious that Dave is a Head. A Grateful Head, to be sure, who likes the entire 30-year storied history of the band, as do I. This is a long-term project. I don’t think he slipped and missed 12/1 or 12/5, I think he genuinely thinks 12/3 smokes- as do I. Love that whole fall ‘79 run, it really does mark a critical turning point in dead history.

As for this box, I must say I was getting used to the idea of some sort of June ‘91 run, perhaps ending with Soldier Field. Still, I like this one. Someone mentioned this, sort of like 89/91 box(es) and the 87 show for bonus. 6/17 is a masterpiece and I sort of see the ‘89 shows as nice companion pieces to the RFK box. After all, Bruce sits in on those shows, his band having opened at both.

The overwhelming majority of releases are in the '68-'78 zone.

But there are 17 years worth of stuff AFTER that. More than half of the life of the band. Including some very good stuff late in '79 after Brent joined, the '80 acoustic sets, the '85 summer tour 20th anniversary stuff, the really good vibe post-coma in late '86-'87, the late era Brent peak in '89-'90, and the Hornsby/Vince stuff in '91.

Me, I like the whole shebang. But the fact is a lot of the sets are pretty freaking repetitive in '68, '69, '73, and '77. And they are much more diverse in the late 80s. I enjoy the variety.

I have no issue with an 87/89/91 box. Having said that, I would not have picked shows that give us 3 Throwing Stones/NFA closers out of 5 (and Sugar Mag the other 2). Nor would I have picked an 87 show where we lose the encore (and a double at that).

I was at those '89 shows and they were darned good. Though another summer '89 release that is not Alpine is starting to tick me off some....

For the record, here is how many of the releases have been in the '68-'78 zone:

1) Yearly big boxes: 8/12 (n/i RFK '89, which was in addition to Get Shown the Light; 8/13). Including Giants. 66.7%/61.5%.

2) Dicks: 28/36. 77.8%.
3) RT: 10/17. 58.8%
4) Downloads: 9/13. 69.2% (n/i RT Full shows)
5) Dave's: 27/31. 87.1%

The people carping about '68-'78 only are being ridiculous. That is what is has been, especially lately, with 27/31 Dave's and the first big box outside that zone since 2014. Yeesh.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

10 years 5 months

I am hoping for a solid box from 1993 just so I can see miserable people light up the comments board. I laughed outloud at "Just frustrated with this release".

All kidding aside, I will be happy no matter what is released, regardless if I purchase it or not.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Viewfromthefault

Yes, I am quite happy, too. I don't think I'll buy the box-but its looks like a great release for those who like the band during this timespan. I will be happier still when Daves Picks 31 turns up, and I don't have to pay for it-but thats another story, and anyway, I'm on the wrong board for that.

I quite like that idea about releasing this 1991 show as a stand alone dvd/blu ray disc. Or even better, including the dvd in with the cd release. Other bands have done this-Deep Purple and The Stray Cats have are two that come to mind that have released live cds with dvds of the same show included for the price of a cd set. I think I could stretch to that!

user picture

Member for

10 years 1 month

Jer was in command last night in the 6-17-91 movie. It was great to see the little cues and glances that made the music happen, especially among a seven-man lineup. The show grew stronger with each song following the Eyes opener and when they had built a small fire, Jer really stepped up and elevated the proceedings. Just like old times.

Pretty decent turnout in a Denver theater, five of us went together, but everyone in the crowd was cackling to see each other and everyone was super nice. As one would expect, but I miss that camaraderie.

The segment with Dave was kinda lame. He just talked, no Dr. Rhino showing off the box. I'm sure it's full of good music. I think Jer was clean in '87, '89 and '91. Everyone in the band looked young, but Jer at 49 was pretty frayed looking. But alive and well! What a trip... The only drawback was the vicious beating Mickey gave his tom-toms; at times it overwhelmed the music and even Jer occasionally glanced back as if to ask for mercy. But Jer and Mickey locked quite well a few times, too.

I'm not buying the box, but it will be good music and a solid release to document that the band kept cooking in '91. And thanks to forensicdoc for crying out "Garbage!" Funniest thing I've read here in many moons.

HBOB1995 and good ole Mr Pete.....
For you closed minded negative fucks...
“Don’t ya put on any airs when your down on Rue Morgue Ave,
They got some hungry ‘creatures there, that’ll surely make a mess outta you’”!

Personally, I think there’s plenty of white bread 77 released, but I don’t come on here and shit all over it just because it’s not MY favorite! I sit back, and relax and find the goodness and joy that can be found in ALL GD, and like individuals, find traits that I like.....believe me, if one wants to you can find idiosyncrasies in EVERY GD show....
It’s like riding pow in the trees, you learn to look for the spaces between the trees, not the trees or else DOooooo!
Same with the dead...

PS: just a side note. It always seems like the folks who like later eras or all eras are more respectful of releases tha5 are not necessarily there favorite, while the 70s nazis are the ones who say negative things if a release is not, yet again, one of their favorites......

Finally, here’s a informal breakdown of Releases.
It’s funny how the folks who have received the most releases in their sweet spot seem to be the most unhappy?
RELEASES

DP = Dicks
Dap = Dave’s (* multiple releases)
RT = Road Trips
DL = Download series

68: DP 22/ RT 2.2/ DL 6 = 3
69: DP 16 26/ Dap 6*, 10*/ RT 4.4/ DL 12 = 6*
70: DP 4, 8/ Dap 19*, 30*/ TR 3.3/ DL 2, DL Family Dog = 7**
71: DP 2, 35/ Dap 3*, 22*, 26*/ RT 1.3, 3.2/ DL 3 = 8**
72: DP 11, 23, 30, 36/ Dap 11, 14*, 24/ DL 10 = 8*
73: DP 1, 14, 19, 28/ Dap 5, 16, 21/ RT 4.3/ DL 8 = 9
74: DP 7, 12, 24, 31/ Dap 2, 9, 13, 17/ RT2.3 = 9
76: DP 20, 33/ Dap 4, 18*, 28/ RT 4.5/ DL 4 = 7*
77: DP 3, 10, 15, 29, 34/ Dap 1, 12, 25, 29/ RT 1.2/ DL 1 = 11
78: DP 18, 25/ Dap 7, 15, 23/ RT 1.4 = 6
79: DP 5/ Dap 31/ RT 1.1, 3.1/ DL 11/5&6/79 = 6
80: Dap 8/ RT 3.6/ DL 7 = 3
81: DP 13/ Dap 20 = 2
82: DP 32/ RT 4.4 = 2
83: DP 6/ Dap 27 = 2
84 = 0
85: DP 21 = 1
86 = 0
87 = 0
88: RT 4.2/ DL 5 = 2
89: DL 9 = 1
90: DP 9/ RT 2.1 = 2
91: DP 17/ DL 11 = 2
92: DP 27 = 1
93: RT 2.4 = 1

Here’s a Breakdown of Dave’s Picks
Year: Total Releases/ How Many Releases since../Release.#
69: 2 / 21 / #10
80: 1 / 23 / #8
74: 4 / 14 / #17
81: 1 / 11 / #20
73: 3 / 10 / #21
78: 3 / 8 / #23
72: 3 / 7 / #24
71: 3 / 5 / #26
83: 1 / 4 / #27
76: 3 / 3 / #28
77: 4 / 2 / #29
70: 2 / 1 / #30

Of course this does not include Box’s or other releases, and their influence on the release schedule, but it still is fun/interesting to compare......
I did this informally so please excuse any errors

Shame this wasn't advertised as being shown in England. I just assumed it was an American thing until Peri mentioned that it was being shown in London., but by then it was a bit late.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Viewfromthefault

Agree. Everyone knows the best period for the Dead was between 6/1/74 and 6/30/74. Now that we have this out of the way we need to get back to releasing just these good shows please.

:D

Happy Friday all. Have a good weekend.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

Great show last night! Great to see Bruce and Vince on the big screen. Us heads in the theater were in jolly mood with multiple shout out for Jerry's bd throughout the show. lots of people dancing in the theater

Always wonder how the band...as a unit.... weaved in and out from one song to the next, always thought there would be a wink or a cue signal...but then i saw Jerry went straight from China Doll to Playing....with the band right there with him as if it was rehearsed? HOW????

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

“Everything we hear
Is an opinion, not a fact.
Everything we see
Is a perspective, not the truth.”
- Marcus Avrelius -
...Have a grateful day my brothers & sisters, Peace be with you all! 🙏❤️💀
*Listen’n to 10/21/72, Daves Picks #3
The 3rd Disc, which is completely filled with ‘Bonus Material’ from the Auditorium Theater On 10/21/71. A fun upbeat show, only 5 members for these two shows; the other performance being the complete 10/22/71 ‘Auditorium Theater, Chicago, IL,.
No Pigpen, which makes me sad knowing he was too ill & suffering from a horrid disease to perform at this time in the bands history. RIP. Also not playing that day was the missing second drummer, Hart. Although “Billy Shines Like Diamonds” on these two mighty fine PRIMO performances/concerts as does Keith!!! Keith plays beautifully on this release/Mix . Deffently ‘A Magical Two Concerts’ in a row moment in the Dead’s history. Another Amazing ‘Daves Picks’ and Era!!!
Give it a listen folks, I believe your gonna Smile Smile Smile from the start/get go with only a couple of notes played thru your personal system/play back method, if not, you must be a ‘robot’ lol ha ha just joking around folks. Anyway, hope everyone has a Grateful weekend planned if not, throw this CD disc in your player and get ready to dance the hours away...🙏❤️🤠

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Okay, I went and bought the vinyl also. Damn I need to hook a turntable up!

Can't believe, okay I can, the number of comments in one night. There were only like 3 comments before work yesterday, got up this morning and holy shit a hour to read thru them all.

Negative vs Positive comments. Both are ok, but I'll never understand how when person A say "it sucks", person B say "it's great and you suck", that person A HAS to come back with more harsh comments about B. Like the fate of their reputation in the world is in the balance. This seems to be something among younger than me people. Some of the kids I work with (and my son sometimes) have this can't let it go attitude. We get a shitty customer in who bitches about something and these guys will just keep it up with them. The "I'm not gonna let them get away with that shit" thing. My old man taught me "never argue with an idiot", my life is way to short to waste time that way.

I also glad the wait isn't that long! I like the coverage of Jerry on the Eel from 91 and this release. Gives nice coverage of Jerry in 91. Oh and just for shits and giggles, that 91 Eel is great.

Keithfan - glad to see you post again,,,, I can stop worrying :-)

First I buy all this stuff because I'm a completeist idiot. But I do like the idea of the best copy available. My 3 minute check of these shows, show all the copies coming at me are way better than the copies I have, so I'm happy.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

You only see that mountain on the Turnpike if you're coming from the North :-) We came from the south and didn't pass it. For those not from Jersey, the mountain in question is the logo for Prudential Insurance (get a piece of the rock).

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

June '74 needs it's own box doesn't matter if some of these shows were released the need the royal treatment Plangentize and Normanized do you hear me Dave.

ps, Giants box it only makes sense that these shows would be released just for the fact that they were multi-track recorded but I wish that the '91 Giants shows would have been released together in a "Rainforest Themed Box" with video of both because that seamed to be the theme at these shows.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...pretty cool idea, I’m artist as well.
All it’s missing is the ‘graffiti’.
I believe you can see it on the western spur on the New Jersey TurnPike coming Southbound. Theirs both ‘ “Eastern” which is closer to the river and then also the “Western” which runs alone side the eastern part at times/places.
Have a grateful day my friend.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Anyone else in Redmond, WA last night? The sounds on 6/17 is amazing. This is a really good show, even for us 70's guys. The 89 shows will be good too, but I would think a few more Bruce shows would have been more appropriate. The dynamic between Bruce and Jerry is just amazing to see (and hear). Don't get me wrong, Keith was A-mazing (and possibly the most under-rated musician most people have never heard of), but I do think Bruce was the most talented keys player to play with the band.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 10 months

After spending a little time reading these comments, I can only say that I'm disappointed by all of the negativity. Differences in opinion are fine, but the name calling and vitriol here is unnecessary and unwanted in this community. It's a shame that we now have our own troll infestation.
Just a couple of thoughts from a certified old guy.... In the eighties and nineties I'd come out of shows and hear people complaining about song selection, pacing, blah blah blah. My response was always the same: " Where would you have rather been tonight?" After nearly losing Jerry in 1986, all of those shows were a gift. I may have wished for this or that, but I was never disappointed. There was no other place I would rather have been.
And one final thought - I've seen all the incarnations since 1995. They were cover bands, yes, but it was always good to hear our music again. However, for those who are calling Dead and Company a cover band, you could not be more wrong. These guys are creating music on the fly again, as it was meant to be. There will be no second coming of Jerry, and no one wants that, but these guys are the second coming of the Grateful Dead. I now eagerly wait to see what the next song will be. Now I know that the music will never stop.
And yes, I ordered this box as soon as I got the email. It may not be for you, but that's no excuse for some to attack others. Have we learned nothing?
Rant over, carry on....

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

Dennis, cracked me up a bit.. We can all stop worrying about KF again until the next show review behind the wheel hits this forum. :D

Fourwinds, always good to see you. Yes.. I have an affinity for June '74, I think most know I was having a bit of fun with that post, I have my favorites but I really do like it all. I bought a BluRay version of this box as soon as I got home last night, been on a mini road trip this week.. Like Dennis, I guess I am a bit of a completist idiot also.. But mainly I love the music, it is a part of my being.

Each and every release so far has beat the pants out of my old TDK and Maxell tapes. (don't tell anybody but I didn't listen to each and every tape I had every week.. but you can't pick favorites when it comes to your children). I guess I am going to have to get the Vinyl show too.. he(she) that dies with the most toys wins after all.

Finally.. having been to enough stadium, theatre, shed, good venue / bad venue shows in my life.. and this is especially true in the big stadiums, I have never found a perfect correlation to what I thought of the music the night it was performed to how it comes out on the recordings later. There are so many variables, the sound, where I was, how much sleep I had, my general mood, the idiot whistling and screaming Jerry in my ear all night, the substances (or lack thereof) around and my attention level. I will be giving these shows a hard listen when I get my copy. I was not going to miss this (or any) release so long as I am able.

Some of the personal back and forth (and negativity) is for shit.. there are better ways to push the conversation along than call people out and attach less than positive adjectives after their names. Ever since my first show I have noticed there are holier than thou deadheads with opinions beyond their ability to understand and it seems the more time I spend hearing their two bit diatribe the less fun I seem to have. Believe it if you need it. These shows were bound to get released and there are lots of people where one or all of these nights holds special meaning or the music speaks to them in a very personal way. Enjoy (or at least let them enjoy), isn't that the point?

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I actually love going to rock concerts in football stadiums. The whole thing is just so over the top, and there's tens of thousands of screaming wasted idiots in there all attending the same party. I'm seeing the Stones for probably the last time in one of these massive venues next weekend, and it'll be joyous.

Not the same vibe as an intimate club setting, but it isn't meant to be and you cannot compare the two.

The later years are not my favorite era, but I'm massively looking forward to this box. It's all good.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Once again a Video Blu-Ray is being included with CD Box Set only. If you prefer these 24, and 48 track recordings in 192/24 Flac you give up the Awesome Blu-Ray. The same option offered for Sunshine Daydream. Why can't the Blu-Ray be included with the download audio (for a cost), or why can't it be ordered stand alone by itself. It makes no sense to order both the download, and the box set just to get the Blu-Ray. Does anyone else who prefers hi-res flacs share these thoughts?

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

What Jim said!
Spot on as usual.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

....the giant I Need A Miracle foam finger that also went on sale yesterday? Priorities people! Priorities!!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Oroborous

The upside of all this is posting by many good folks we’ve not seen around here lately.
I’ve noticed way more people here in the last few days than since last year? Some I’ve never seen, some who used to come around at least now and again...
Welcome back!

Yeah-and as I said earlier, why can't they include the dvd in with the single disc package. Loads of bands do this-Ozric Tenatcles, Hawkwind are two more.

I used to collect everything until I realised how long I was going to live and how much they were going to release.

Incidentally, people often refer to themselves as being "old" on here, and I am curious as to how old these people actually are, and if they are older or younger than me. Just being nosey.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

Rosebud eyes were sparkling

theater was about half full shown on one of the nicer bigger screens #2 and the sound was up to full blast. Guy sitting two seats away made a quick move down to the front dancin and groovin at the start of "Walkin' Blues" and then others joined in. Fellow sitting to my right was next LOL left his kids in the dust haha. During the short moment between sets theater audience sang Happy birthday to Jerry. 2nd set blasted off with Saint of Circumstance and then fog rolled in during Ship of Fools. Truckin' was one of the highlights for me and the sequence that followed through Drums

very fun last night

Never Fade Away Dream

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

Released so far??? So starting at One from the Vault to the Giants box set Just curious what our burn rate is before everything has been released!!!! Like 2019 we have 4 Dave's which will really be 5 shows, the 5 show box set and the two Warfield Shows. Also i forget who it was (apologize in advance) but didn't someone use to post how many copies were left of an offering???? Thanks if someone has the answer... Back to 6/16/74.... I'm jumping on the June 74 bandwagon!! Edit I also get some of the Road Trips were a few shows or the Dick's Pick that was 8/4/ 8/5 8/6 74...

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

DaveRock - Does 63 count as old,,,, it does to me when I work with all 19 year olds! I had a girl asked me if I was around for the Depression!!! I said, how fucking old do you think I am. Okay, when first hired she asked if I was a cop! Kids!

Oroborus - new people. yeah seemed like a few new names have gone by,,, I always look at the date joined to see if it's a known person trying to hide :-)

Vguy - I don't know what made me laugh more,,, seeing the foam finger for sale this morning or you commenting on it!

Jvonl (a new name?) and Jim - agree on all eras. To me it's about the catalog of songs. Not who is playing them. Small cover bands doing UJB, great. Dead and Co, great. (truth told, I like Furthur better) I find when just playing a mix up of all eras I don't think about the 'who' but flow with the feeling. Most recordings can be more of one player and less of another. Some nights maybe the keys had a hot idea, sometimes the bass... Luckily we have so many choices. Also I know----

When I sing along to Grateful Dead songs, I have a beautiful singing voice. :-)

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Somebody here talked about Oscar Aleman and Russian Lullaby and Jerry with an old album. And how Grisman gather up and produced a two cd set. Got it,,,, very nice (if you like 40's tunes,,,, I do) Hit me with PM if interested.

Blue skies, smiling at me, nothing but blue skies do I see.

Great song, has the stanza about tripping at a dead show, 40 years before they were around!

Never saw the sun shining so bright.
Never saw things going so right.
Noticing the days hurrying but,
When you're in love, my how they fly.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html