• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Dennis

Hey Dennis, that was me and Nappyrags chatting away...I'm a big pre-Bop Jazz fan; played a in a 20s/30s Jazz/Tin Pan Alley band, those songs were so good: Blue Skies, Limehouse Blues, After You're Gone, Coquette, Rose Room, etc.

Since we mentioned Cats & The Fiddle a few days ago, here's one of my faves; awesome tiple intro and great chord progression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQXq_RerA0

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

I'm glad to be able to hear the music as well. Just sit back, relax and enjoy whats given to us. Why worry/complain about things we can't control. I personally can't wait for the new Box to hit my doorstep. Turn it up and enjoy the MUSIC...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Vguy72

Vguy...just our collective admiration and gratitude 😉

AGE; your only as old as you feel, er a, a buddy used to say “your only as old as the girl ya feel” ....problem was the older he got, the younger the girls were he dated!
Personally, I use this Analogy....you buy a car, let’s say you put 180,000 miles on it, most folks take say 20 years to do that....some of us here did it in like 5 years! So on paper I’m only 57, but in reality I’m like 70! Lol oh, ouch, I just hurt something laughing! Thank god my ears are still pretty damn good! (and my hands somewhat as that’s how I get paid) the rest, meh Cest la vie

Dennis/things; to me it’s about the performance...doesn’t matter what era, year, show, personnel etc. If their hitting the sonic blaster and riding the Xfactor, then nothing else matters! and if not, it’s still better than most anything else.
Like those bumper stickers “I’d rather be ___________ “ (fill in the blank). I’d rather be at a DeaD show! or at home all comfy listing to Dead on my wall of sound! 😎

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Galvineyesed

Thanks! I'm 62 years and five months, and saw The Dead 5 times, the first time being March 24th 1981.

I guess feeling old is relative. I last worked when I was 57, and most of the people I worked with then were many years younger than me, which made me feel quite old. Since then, most of the people I have met are older than me-which naturally enough makes me feel younger. Plus my lifestyle is young for my age, not having a family and going to rock gigs. Bizarrely, many of the bands I have seen recently are also older than me.

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

Count me as one of those happy with this release. I've been waiting for some officially released "In the Dark" material... songs like West LA and Throwing Stones are some of my favorites, and I like the diversity of the later years set lists.

Peace

user picture

Member for

11 years 10 months

In reply to by daverock

I was at the Giants Stadium 1987, one of the 1989 and both 1991. I guess that means I shave to own this box set. I consider myself kind but that Weir guitar tone from 1991 is simply awful. His chord comping and playing is as tasteful as ever but that scratchy, computer processed tone should be mixed way down in the mix. It's my only gripe from re-experiencing that 6/19/91 concert last night. I could deal with Bobby's shorts and Mickey's acid wash jeans but that guitar tone has aged miserably...

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

65 years old.
First show 12/15/72

P.S. I am not buying this box because I have too much already and I know it won't get played much. Why should I take one away from someone who really wants it? All good.

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

In reply to by mhammond12

The Cabot in Beverly MA is doing another showing tonight if you missed it and interested in checking it out. A+B Burger and Bonefish Harry's just a short walk down the street for some nice pre & post game fun.

No Band warming up at this showing

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Your first post in response to mine was to insult and attack me. You're so full of crap. Calling me a "moocher"? You seriously need mental help.

Seriously, it's as if all you do is wait for me to post everytime a new release comes put just to attack me. Why? What's your fucking point?

You hate Brent. Oh well. Thanks for not buying this. Somebody who will appreciate it thanks you too.

Have a good life. I wish all the best for you. May you be blessed with an abundance of good fortune.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 4 months

Get over it...

Ever consider, Jerry really enjoyed playing with him.

But, he was only a band member, why should we care what they want?

So, do you think if the Grateful Dead stopped in 1975, you would be getting vault releases of 1969, in 2020?

Food for thought, don't choke

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Your post a few pages back is spot on. The hostilities here frequently get directed towards me because I've been an outspoken advocate for the second half of the Deads career.

Went from being ridiculed when the focus wasn't on variety with plenty of "ha ha's" to direct personal attacks now that a variety is being put out. It's like they get everything they want then lash out the moment they don't. The "privilege" here for a couple of individuals is off the chart.

Awesome you got to see them in 72. I turn 52 on the release date of this Giant box, so that plus some Nevilles thrown in for good measure will make the second year past a half century fun. I'm enjoying life more the older I get. I even shed 100 pounds this year. Getting healthy, loving life and now Dave is releasing shows from the time I was going to shows. Not old enough to have caught them during the first 18 years of touring, but onboard ever since 84. Technically not quite a Touch Head, but I love that song so wear that label with pride.

btw- Dave is about the same age as me and came into the Dead around the same time as me. Funny how people bash "Touchheads", while the guy picking these himself is a Touchhead.

As Jerry sung...
Bite the hand
Bite the hand that bakes your bread

Hey, there's a version in the new box.

user picture

Member for

11 years 8 months

59 yrs old
First show 1978-05-13. Which I think will never see the light of day as 5-10, 5-11, 5-14 are all released.

I probably would have bought this box if the 1978 Giants Stadium show was included, since I was there.

As it is, I'll just get the single show release. Count me in as one who wishes we could purchase the Blu-ray or DVD separately.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Old enough to know better, young enough not to care, that's how I plan to stay. 53 going on 17.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Old enough to know better, but not old enough to do anything about it!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by SPACEBROTHER

I loved the first show I saw, in March 1981, but to have seen them in 1972 would have been amazing. I was 15 then, and a shade too young to travel out of my hometown to go to London. Any case, I didn't know who The Dead were in 1972-I saw T. Rex and David Bowie in then-great, but a long way off.
But those final shows of the tour, at the Lyceum-maybe they were the best ever played by the band on these shores? Great sounding venue, too, going off the sleeve notes for the cds. Bickershaw is a great show, and some of the other bands/artists performing were great-but I didn't much like big festivals-and that one doesn't look to rosy in the pictures.
Spacebrother- good to read that you are in fine fettle and enjoying life. Don't let the naysayers grind you down. I must say I enjoy being 62 more than I did being 26. You never know what the future holds, but so far so good!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by daverock

All this has become very tricky since I met Bolo and have subsequently had Witness Protection issues, multiple passports, etc...

My current passport states I am 53, 4/19/82 was my first show. I found my self face to face with with two quite pleasant pieces of paper; nothing has been the same since but in a good way.

Mama, mama many worlds I've come since I first left home.

Hey guys and gals, please resist the temptation to call others out by name.. the back and forth is giving me whiplash, and to what end? There is no reason for it.. be general, be positive and push the conversation along. Is it my imagination or does this shit always seem to happen around election time? Perhaps we are all being played?

Good movie, btw.. whiplash. See it.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

34 here.

First Dead related show..err 6/17/17 Dead & Co at Fenway. Loved it until someone passed out in front of us and some Karen screamed at us for not doing anything for him, as the medics arrived. She had her hand on his shoulder, really stepping up where we didn't. Thanks for your help. Go to hell.

8 Dead & Co shows now, still a work in progress. More to come.

Still learning in all eras, coming up on 5 years of starting a 'deeper dive' into the Dead, beyond the big albums, etc. I did pick up the May '77 boxset as well as 11/30/80 randomly in 2013, they were...bewildering compared to Skeletons in the Closet and Europe '72, Vol 1.

Know very little post-Brent, what was in 30 Trips, etc. Looking forward to all three years in the new set. Used to only know Bruce Hornsby for the song he wrote for 2pac. (.....joke)

Fired up Dave's 31 for the first time as well, first disc in the car today. Keith is the best acoustic pianist they had in my opinion, that was rock n' roll piano, but Brent's energy and the addition of the B3 is a needle mover. As Sean Connery said in You Only Live Twice:

Bond: Why do Chinese girls taste different than other girls?
Ling: You think we better
Bond: No, just different. Like Peking duck is different from Russian caviar, but I love them both.
Ling: Darling, I give you very best duck

Ok that's a terrible out-dated and inappropriate example. Scratch that.

Waiting for a Dylan Fall tour announcement, as well as the next Bootleg Series (potentially). Sounds like they are exploring '67-69 which will be interesting, though it's been partially covered already. Any John Wesley Harding outtakes would be very interesting. With both being on Columbia, I can see them doing the Dylan / Cash sessions from '69 officially as well. While historic given the two of them, they really are not that good, in my opinion.

I did get some Dead exposure through Dylan before I knew them better. My first show was in 2006 during college, got in heavily in the year prior, but I heard the boots. When Jerry died, Dylan did dust off Friend of the Devil against in September '95, staying (randomly) in the repertoire through 2002 with a one off at Red Rocks in 2007. But the other tune he chose, starting in October 1995....obviously Alabama Getaway.

I'd hear talk about this great songwriter Robert Hunter that Dylan teamed up with, the results being Silvio and The Ugliest Girl In The World. :/

He also joined up with him on Together Through Life, an album I LOVE but maybe not the greatest songwriting testament for these two pillars of the western world. But I don't care, I love it. And despite some silly writing, the peaks are actually great songs.

Here's one I was at, great show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYC6VKnPhks

And a Getaway, before my time (not sure why they chose a '66 photo but sure): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPpmF3154As

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 5 months

I’m delighted for those who’ve been asking for more 80s and 90s Dead, this box is for you guys. I might buy the single show but I won’t be buying the box. I’ve bought around 80% of the releases since One From The Vault came out 28 years ago and, on the basis of these purchases, formed the view that the quality of their performance deteriorated markedly during the latter years of the Dead’s existence. That isn’t to say there weren’t still great moments and great shows, but that, for me anyway, they became fewer and further between.

I’m not particularly disappointed that this box isn’t for me; I have more than enough GD to keep me going, I’m pleased I won’t need to justify another GD box to my wife, I’m also pleased I don’t have to find another $150 (nearer $200 when U.K. delivery and import duties are taken into account) and then of course this release probably means we’ll be back to something a little more up my street next year. Right now I’m also slightly reluctant to spend any more money at dead.net until the DP31 European shipping fiasco is resolved and left behind.

Despite not being a particular fan of the 80s and 90s, I really don’t get or like the Brent bashing. My lack of passion for this era has very very little to do with him. Indeed, I say his keyboard playing is one of the more positive aspects of late 80s GD. For me the problem stems from basic musicality; playing in tune and playing in time and together, the latter in particular becomes a more frequent problem for the GD as the years go on. The nadir for me is the Warlocks box which, whilst not without the occasional bright point, is at times cringingly embarrassing. So much that when hearing it for the first time I was half expecting someone to come on from the wings waving their arms and shouting “stop... stop.... STOP! Sorry guys, you’re just not getting it”. That said, I find much of Terrapin Limited, the second disc in particular, reciorded around 6 months later, nothing short of outstanding. I guess that’s the GD for you, particularly the GD in their latter years.

Then there’s Garcia’s voice, which becomes more and more of a disappointment as the years go on. Others have said they don’t listen to the GD for the singing; I don’t either, but the dead wrote a many truly magnificent songs and it’s always a pleasure to hear these played and sung really well.

There are other reasons to . . . those interminably tedious Dylan covers for instance . . . but aside from mediocre songwriting (something that wasn’t unique to Brent), these have very little to do with Brent.

Each to their own. I wish all of you who purchase this box, particularly those who’ve been waiting for something this era, happy listening. I’ll enjoy looking forward to the next 1970s box and spending my $150 on something else 😎

user picture

Member for

15 years 10 months

63 12-1-73

Just for the record: love the band, don't care for the era, I was there so it's not knee-jerk, uninformed choice. I choose not to attack or use personal insult. If somebody gets a box because I pass, good for them. Many don't care for the 90s, or 80s, 70s, or 60s. Me, I like the 50s.

Besides, life's too short, had one stroke already, not planning on a second because I don't like the current release. If I did, I'd have 30 strokes already.

This is why there's different flavors of ice cream. Some mysteriously prefer pistachio, while we all know that coffee chocolate chip peanut butter cup cookie dough is the best...…….

Settle down easy,

Doc

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

"They're not the best at what they do. They're the only ones that do what they do."

user picture

Member for

8 years 5 months

In reply to by icecrmcnkd

What’s the worst that could happen, you make more money?

Or at least offer it with the CD.
Kind of like Crimson, White, and Indigo; Sunshine Daydream; Egypt.

Does that mean that a VHS would then come with the vinyl?

I ordered the BluRay Box. Looking forward to it. A nice addition to the collection.

It’s been a good Jerry Week so far. I didn’t make it to the movie but I did order this Box, received and have listened to DaP 31 twice, and JGB 11-11-93 was at my door when I got home and is about to go in the CD player.

Do Rolling Stones fans bash former Stones members when the new live release isn’t the one they wanted?

Do Allman Brother’s Band fans bash former ABB members when the new live release isn’t the one they wanted?

I’m grateful for all releases.
Keep them coming Dave/Rhino/TPTB.
Just please, put a little more effort into quality control and logistics.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I do feel bad that some will have to wait till next year for new music I really wish there was another smaller box coming of another era I would buy it in a minute.

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

Cleveland, Ohio Aug 1980...16 years old...pulled the old, "I'm-sleeping-over-a-friends-house-tonight" trick on the parents...still have the stub!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

11 years 11 months

I have not been checking in on these boards for a few years, but as soon as I got the notice, I thought of Space and Seth. Very happy for you both. The 80’s were my touring heydays, but for many years, not my go-to listening choice. Maybe as I try to hang onto the tales from the road, I have become less critical of the shortcomings. I just enjoy the music. The ‘87 show in this box is my audio postcard to a great day with friends and a very fun show. The cascade of humanity pouring over the wall onto the field during Ramble on Rose will not come through on the speakers, but I smile every time I hear it. Buy it if you need it or leave it if you dare...

user picture

Member for

15 years 3 months

In reply to by RobbZ

I understand the challenges of releases pre Betty's return, but now with the empty shelves filled in the vault, why not release mini box on special anniversary years (50th, 45th, 40th, 35th, 30th).

Release it around the show date.
So next year, for example, we could possibly get those 70 Fillmore East shows, those 80 Warfield RCMH, 85 Saratoga / Hershey, 90 Europe. Obviously four box sets is too much but do you get my point?

That way maybe everybody wins - those that want one era, one that wants the other and the ones that want them all.

I do like the concept of the Giant's box - how about a Greek Box then a Boston Garden box in the future ;)

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Seems a bummer that the '87 show is not including any of the 3rd set Dylan stuff and is the incomplete show in the box. Otherwise does look great and the Giants '89 were my very first shows.

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

Love ya bro, good to be back. Had some major house in car issues. Fun fun fun!

The Hoffa joke went over like a Led balloon. Too soon?

Bulid-A-Box

Truckin Up To Buffalo 7/4/89
Crimson White & Indigo 7/7/89
Giant Stadium 7/9/89
Giant Stadium 7/10/89

Ta-da

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hard to believe but I’ve been here for 47 years. First show and last show were at Giants: 7/10/89 and 6/17/91. Both were revelatory for me, but the last show is the one where I learned that there was a community and that even a 19 year old kid (or anybody, everybody) had a contribution to something greater. I’m fortunate to have found music that resonates so well with me personally and that folks that I’ll never meet have taken the time and effort to put it out there where it can be heard again and again.

Strange to think something so profound can happen in a big stadium... It goes to show you never can tell. 🎵

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

15 years 3 months

I'm 55 - first show was Spring of '78 in Columbus Ohio. Saw them a few times in the 80s/90s. I don't have anything against that era or these shows, but I doubt if this box would get much play if I ordered it. I've subscribed to Dave's picks since the beginning and I have most of the boxed sets, including 30 Trips and complete Europe 72. I'm pretty set with Dead release. And while I enjoyed all of the 80s/90s shows I saw, I spend most of my time listening to '70 to '78. its just a personal preference. I still look forward to seeing the next one

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Generally I listen to stuff from '69-'78, but I like it all. There are some songs that only appear on the later era releases, so that makes them essential for me. I find what some consider to be distracting deterioration of Jerry's voice can be a poignant addition to songs like Black Peter. Time is gonna crush us all, and Jerry was no exception, it's not like he would have lived forever if he was a teetotaler, so for me the voice is just what it is, not a catastrophe. There are several other songs, like Shakedown, Crazy Fingers and West LA Fadeaway that I enjoy and that are pretty much only on later era releases like this one, and there are some later era Eyes that are stellar, the one with Branford Marsalis on the Nassau '90 Wake Up to Find Out release comes to mind. And if the sound of the multi-track Spring 1990 TOO box is any indication, the sound in this box should be spectacular, I mean honestly, it seems like anything with multi-track source material should be on the short list for consideration as an official release.

My first show of any kind was JGB at Orange County Community College in Middletown, NY in August '84, dropped with my younger brother about an hour before we had to leave to catch our ride to the show, and as we walked out the door my dad got home from work, looked at us and simply said "have a good trip". We always wondered if it was an intentional choice of words. To clarify, dad did not a party and we had spent a good portion of our teen years in conflict with our parents over our use of intoxicants of one variety or another, so the comment just struck us as interesting. First Dead show was that fall, second night at Worcester, MA in October '84. In hindsight, I should have budgeted some money for food for that three day road trip from Easton, PA.

For the folks that just don't dig later era dead, that's cool as well, understandable and very different vibe to see someone saying they'll pass and leave it for someone who really wants it, as opposed to the posting of gratuitous insults directed at the release or other posters. Nice to see the vibe here shifting back to pleasant.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....my new fifth favorite band!
And yes. The pendulum is swinging towards the kind side.
p.s. Brent didn't suck.
p.p.s regarding latter day songs. I've never met a Head that didn't like Standing On The Moon.

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

I used to always dislike "Standing on the Moon" for some reason. I just could never sit through it - until I heard Bobby sing it live this summer. Something finally clicked and now I love the song. I still haven't had such a breakthrough for "Days Between". Maybe I just need to hear a live Bobby version. I have always loved all the other later Jerry tunes: Lazy River, So Many Roads, Built to Last, Believe it or Not, Liberty....
Someone said they disliked all the Dylan covers! I always thought they were one of the true glories of the later years. I love every one and never tire of them.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

Gets a forever pass on this board and can post as he wishes.

Know that.

Very few, if any, have contributed as much.

user picture

Member for

11 years 6 months

In reply to by JimInMD

She Belongs to Me - Rochester 85

Visions of Johanna - Philly 95

Two of the most poignant songs I ever witnessed.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

....they make it all seem too cruel.
Don't forget the Ballad Of A Thin Man one off.
Without looking it up, I believe it was Hampton '88. Fact check me. I can take it.

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

There's a great version on the April fools Road Trips (4/1/88), right before a very neat-o "When Push Comes to Shove".

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

MTV- Yeah, I guess you're right. Still, the live versions can sound kind of neat-o....

user picture

Member for

13 years 4 months

Yep, VGuy, there's a "Thin Man" on the Hampton Download series 5 (3/27/88).

FYI - I have one of the Resonance recording of Nat Cole coming,,, early stuff 36-42? Love me some Nat.

Nice mood album, Nat King Cole's - the complete after midnight sessions,,, wow!

The complete trio recording very nice.

I assume you know the archive has a section devoted to 78 recordings. I've downloaded quite a few things from there.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I swear I read once Dylan consider Garcia to be the best interpreter of his songs.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I hope this ground hasn't been covered,,, my memory is shit.

You always hear talk about the Dead and Jazz, how their the same and different, blah, blah. I was listening to something the other day and no I don't remember what, and I had a thought about how maybe the dead weren't as much jazz as they were more classical in their structures. That the larger sound they had took on more orchestral properties than jazz. I my drifting, flash thoughts, jazz is never large, jazz is human size.

Not sure, passing thoughts. Anybody else?

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I recall reading something once from Jerry where he said something like when Merle played he was the center of the universe. Jerry seem to really like playing against a whirling Wurlitzer and I REALLY, REALLY love that sound. Probably my growing up in skating rinks with live organ music. The place we skated had a large floor, color lights from the ceiling made circular patterns on the floor, speakers were in the ceiling about every 15 feet and the organ was at the end behind glass, with Andy DeVito at the keys. You'd be humming around the floor with the color lights and sound swirling. And Andy would control the speed of the floor with his playing. He could cook on the keys and that floor be flying. It was an amazing thing. And I never tripped while doing it as a kid, but it sure felt like it. Years later during dead shows Brent's B3 leslies would send me off on the circular tracks again in my mind!

Your post several pages ago sums up very much how I feel about the recordings of the band during their latter years. Your is the first critical post I think I have read about the Warlocks box set. I have always been confounded by its appeal. I have tried it at various times-but its always a real chore getting through it. Terrible version of Eyes of the World on one of the discs. I wonder if the shows were elevated because of the set lists. Just as a dull looking set list can still be a great show, so a great looking set list does not necessarily mean that the show is great.

Conversely the second Spring 1990 box-which is contemporaneous with the Terrapin Unlimited set that you praise is full of sparkling shows.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html