• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Angry Jack Straw

I always enjoy reading strongly expressed feelings, whether I agree with the sentiment expressed or not. What is a drag is when one poster sees fit to personally attack another one.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

I loved these tapes wore them out since It's the only live stuff I had at the time. I loved Live Dead the most.

First show 9/22/87 age 19 now 51.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

IF Jazz is human scale and the Dead are orchestral and more like classical music, where does that leave us with the Dead and big band jazz? :)

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...I still have memories of my first Grateful Dead concert. My uncle, my mother’s younger brother, took me to the two East Rutherford, NJ concerts on 4//16/83 & 4/17/83. I was only six years old, wearing my favorite pair of OshKosh B’Gosh trousers and my red Spider-Man t-shirt. My uncle put his stash in my big Ol pockets lol ha ha and that’s the day I got my nickname, ‘Bones’! I still remember the party before the show in the parking lot. It looked like a giant playground & barbecue with these young eyes. I remember seeing mother’s breast feeding openly. No blanket or cloth covering the breast like you might see today. Back then, in the world of “deadheads” or “freaks” what ever label you choose, I guess it was just more open or accepted the ideas of being Nude. Lol, crazy some might say ha ha but what ever makes you happy and doesn’t cause harm to others, it’s ok in my book. Someone bought me a T-shirt, I believe it was my uncle but it might of been one of the many other people/friends we were with. Of course the size was 5xTimes my size but I still wore it, with pride! I wore that T-shirt from grade school thru after college. I finally put her to rest in my dresser drawer because she was falling apart and I wanted to save it. I still have it. At that time I knew only three songs the Grateful Dead performed over those two days. ‘Johnny B Good’, ‘Iko Iko’ and ‘Not Fade Away’. We had a lot of 45’s back then, hundreds it seemed, until it grew to thousands in time, as I’m a record collector. My grandmother loved all those artist like Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Elvis, Chuck Berry ect. I don’t have mememories of any songs they performed but I do remember dancing to the music! A lot of dancing!!! Everyone was dancing or laying down it seemed but where ever you looked it was just ‘Smile Smile Smile’ after ‘Smile Smile Smile’! I think that was the best part of the concert, that Love & Peaceful feeling/vibe you experience inside yourself, like the feeling of being totally at one with yourself or the comfort of being at ‘Home’. Ahhh, yes!, that kind of feeling, the one everyone longs to have. Love each other my brothers & sisters, Love is the answer.
Have a grateful day everyone, peace be with you all & listen to the music play , let it take you away...🙏❤️😎
* Today’s my Birthday! 42...so I’m starting my day with Listening to the Grateful Dead’s Studio Album, ‘Terrapin Station’, one of my favorite LPs the band released, especially Love the remaster release from 2004 which was also included in the ‘Beyond Description’ 1973-1989 Boxset. Just a beautiful sounding album, job well done! I love the ‘Fire On the Mountain’ Studio Outake which was included as ‘Bonus Material’. Give that another listen folks, PRIMO. And I Can’t forget to mention the groovy LIVE ‘Dancing In The Streets’ to end the CD! Sweet, I forgot which show this version comes from. Does anyone remember ?
Take care, Rock On!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

In my opinion, which means nothing, the Grateful Dead are much like jazz and nothing like classical. Classical music is meant to be played note for note and exactly the same, every time. There is no room to branch out or jam in classical music. In a sense, though immensely talented, classical musicians are like robots. I would call classical composers artists of the highest order. I would not call a classical musician an artist, because they are just re-creating, not creating. I'll bet that would get the feathers up on a highly trained classical musician, but that's how I see it.

Jazz is what got me heavily into the Dead. The freedom, not knowing where it's going, never playing it the same way twice. The freshness and endless possibility. That's what you don't get with Mozart, but you do with Garcia, Art Pepper, etc.

\m/

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by LedDed

Is that right, that classical music is always played the same way by different musicians? I can remember buying my uncle, who was a classical music enthusiast,an album-maybe the composer was Mozart-decades ago. I was chastened to realise that he already had the music, but bemused to hear that he hadn't got the version I had bought him. I had assumed that if you bought a symphony on record, one was as good as another. Not so-at least according to my uncle. I have never got into classical music myself, I have to say.

Nice story from LMG about his first Dead show. Also a nod to Terrapin Station the album, and earlier nods on here to the official Dead live albums that came out. I haven't heard most of the Dead's studio/live albums, including Terrapin, for years. The ones I have played most over the last 10 years or so have been Anthem, Live Dead and Blues For Allah.

My older sister went off to College in 85 and left behind two tapes in our mother's car. Shakedown Street and a bootleg from 12/30/83. I had no idea what they were but I gave them a try and was hooked immediately. I still have that 83 cassette and played it until 2011. First show was the old Metrodome in June of 86. Dylan, the Dead and Petty. Went to Alpine two days later and that was a crazy experience. 48 now and miss those days when I went to all the shows the boys played in MN and WI from 86-89. Wish I went to more across the country.
Went to the MUATM on Thursday. I have not been a huge post Brent era fan, but thought this show was awesome! Really surprised me how good it was. The Eyes opener just cooks and Jerry is on all night. If you like this band, you will like this show. I am really looking forward to this box!

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Ledded

The idea that a classical piece is fixed and sounds the same whoever plays it is simply wrong. Some versions of ‘The Rite of Spring’ by Stravinsky are electrifying and ecstatic, others are pedestrian. I have at least 5 versions of ‘Music for 18 Musicians’ by Steve Reich, they are all different. This is equally true for pre-20th century classical as well.

I am looking forward to the release of another box set in September as well as the GD one. The Another Timbre label is releasing a five CD set of Morton Feldman piano pieces, that should be stunning.

My own musical interests range through folk, country, pop, jazz, free improvisation ( check out the Emanem label), Classical and even the Grateful Dead.

All musical appreciation is subjective. I might recommend some music but I’d never argue that someone is wrong if they don’t like it. There is very little music that doesn’t have some appeal to me but, as The Incredible String Band said, “Music is so much less than what you are”

Look forward to the future, what else is there?

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Giant Stadium movie was fun. Vinnie had some bright moments. Bruce was really listening and paying attention. 1991 had some high moments. Talk about tickling those ivories. I really enjoyed August 91 at Shoreline. Grateful Dead (all things/keyboards) why just eat a sandwich when you’re at a smorgasbord .

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Happy B-Day. Our crew was at 4/16. Didn't see you? 4/16 Stephen Stills showed up. But for me 4/16 is the GREATEST Looks Like Rain. Jerry tears the shit out of the end,,,, like raindrops falling on you and Bobby gives some of his best screams.

"can't take no more fuckin rain today"

Here for your birthday, my soundboard copy of Looks Like Rain

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g0w1db4xkvfyx8/09%20-%20Looks%20Like%20Rain…

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

I think (not know), classical tunes are different based on the interpretation of the conductor. That's what they bring. The musicians are the tools of his trade. If the conductor wants some piece to be louder and more forward, he hires more violinist. His ONLY volume control is more of the same instruments, that's where you get 50 guys in tuxs standing up at the same time to hit the same note. But his 'wall of sound' is the horseshoe shape of the pit. When the 'lead' of the song moves thru the pit you can actually hear the motion. The sound is more than just the notes, it's the movement of the sound in front of you.

The dead seem to be able to control their sound stage to a 3D image that moved. They got big.

What do I know? But one of the very few that had the equipment to make that happen.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by LedDed

Ironically a term used to deride the Dead's music, "noodling", was coined to describe Mozart himself, who may have been the most brilliant musician of the 18th Century. But his habit of playing solos in different modes was as annoying to some musical purists of his day as they were to those who didn't appreciate Jerry's ability to do the same thing 200 years later.

I'll set aside some money and pick this up just before release date. With PacNW and July '78 still available, I don't see this selling out by the end of September.

Eta: let's not forget Phil and TC's connection to classical and modern classical, or post-modern classical. Jerry once likened Phil's bass playing to acting as if it were a cello weaving counterpoint, rhythms, and lead melodies through the same song.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

Found Cats and Fiddle on archive and have started downloading. And just because I'm and idiot, found a 300 song collection of old Russians songs on 78's. Downloaded and no I don't speak Russian!

Funny thing about the name Cats and Fiddle. I grew up in a beach community in Jersey. When I was young there was a bar on the beach called "the cat and the Fiddle". Link below will take you to a page about said bar.

http://aberdeennjlife.blogspot.com/2014/06/history-cat-n-fiddle-cliffwo…

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

Thing I always like from the movie about Mozart was the king complaining "too many notes". Kinda what you get from people when you try and introduce them to the Dead :-)

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

Been here so long, I got to calling it home.

Wherever I go the people all complain. This is my life to a tee.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I’m about a decade behind you all, but always loved saying “Partying like Daryl Strawberry and the 86 Mets”...whew...those were the days, glad they’re over!!!

Dennis-not one to tell folks how to spend their money, but man you should really pony up for a decent turntable. For decent price (around $400), but still excellent upgradable quality you can get a Planar One which is what I have. Only saying because you always mention purchasing the vinyl but not playing it and many of these releases are brought up a notch IMO. I’m not one to talk, LOL, owning and buying new Cd box sets & subscriptions, and not owning a CD player. They all still get ripped and listened to but the quality probably suffers. I do think you would be pleased with the quality of the vinyl. Would be interested to know what you think if and when you decide to pull the trigger.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

I do have a video on youtube of myself performing a theme and variations on a theme by mozart for classical guitar. From it, perhaps you can discern my age? :-)

PM me and I will supply you the link! Have a grateful day everybody!

First show: 7-9-95

P.S. I'm not a robot.

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

I loved John Belushi, for anyone not in on that.

Classical sounds different because of the conductor, the hall, how old and expensive the instruments are, how good the symphony itself is, the players ability to interpret and execute, the quality of the recording, humidity.

But the deal is, the notes are on the page and you play them as they are, to the best of your ability. Not a lot of mystery in that. Nothing "wrong" with classical music. I've been moved as much as anyone by a fantastic piece, it's great music to use in film scores, etc. Elevators.

Anyone can argue any point they want. "Phil was like an orchestra unto himself." Yeah, sure, and the acid was really good that day.

Peace.

Dennis, love Amadeus, fantastic movie, and spot on to the noodling.

Wilfred, would love to see that.

Just realized that this box is tailor made for the so-called Touch Heads, and there's not a single version of the Top 10 hit in the release. They did play it as an encore at the 7/10/89 show, but I guess they can't release it due to Dylan's presence. But in the other 4 shows, it doesn't pop up once. Good setlists with variety, looking forward to that Foolish Heart.

I also have to say I like that Jeffrey Norman was so involved with getting this right that he bowed out of mixing a Dave's. I guess after having to rush through Europe '72 and Spring '90 which didn't use the multitracks, he thought it should have the care and brilliant sound of Spring '90 TOO, which sounds head and shoulders above the other boxes due to its glorious multitrack mixing.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Hi – this is long, but am trying to keep it digestible:
Am a little late to the conversation here, and am a little surprised and dismayed at some of the comments on this box set offering. I’m no spring chicken myself (turn 59 next month), although as a Deadhead, I’m only 2+ years along. That means several relevant things:
1) Certain things I write about get my blood boiling, and I’ve written with adrenaline flowing about them, and the effect on the reader usually causes him/her to arch his/her back in a defensive posture. But if I phrase what I’m saying properly (sacrificing no substance), keep it third- or first-person, the point I try to make comes across and doesn’t elevate the temperature. It also gives me time to consider whether my sentence is weaponized.
2) I’m old enough to have seen the actual Grateful Dead in my younger years (but didn’t). At that time (where I lived) they (and their retinue) were considered more a curiosity and freak phenomenon than anything else, my discretionary funds would come post-college (years away), and my interest was elsewhere.

This set is a standalone purchase item, not a mandatory part of some subscription, so the choice to purchase (or not) is up to each of us – no strings. If powers that be made a mistake in offering it, data from its sales will bear that out and they will adjust – they don’t want to be buried in inventory that stays unsold, and they exist to satisfy ongoing listener interest (and not hemorrhage money).

About the box set:
I’ve become more familiar with the GD sound and repertoire of the early and later 1970s (because of what’s been offered on dead.net), and with that lopsided exposure, I can’t say I have a favorite era. This Giants Stadium box set covers chronological ground I’m not as familiar with. So for listening, I like to alternate eras – it’s most enjoyable as that way it all stays fresher to me.

Video?
The offering of DVD/Blue-Ray of the movie content as part of the set may be a trial balloon. I don’t know where I saw it (it was a while ago) but Lemieux was quoted as saying not to expect much additional motion picture stuff for purchase (as there wasn’t enough interest). This offering (seen last night in select cinemas) is an opportunity for dead.net to get a good feel of the pulse of people’s interest in owning it (apart from viewing released content on some web site). If it sells briskly, it could indicate whether dead.net eventually offers the RFK show (an example, which they ran a couple of yrs ago at MUATM) or others on video.

I can’t comment on strength of these particular shows (I don’t know enough about them), but quantity of shows/disks feels about right to me, and the price is good. For outer packaging, I don’t need something to double as furniture – I just want it reasonably solid/protective and hope it fits nicely onto the bookcase shelves I use now for Dead audio content (without wasting a lot of space).

I didn’t see the movie (I had yard work to do and had to get up at 0430 Friday) - I expected performances in the sets to probably be hit-and-miss (Jerry’s health and vitality were fluctuating by this time), but generally New York audiences for whatever reason are reputed to elicit good GD performances – it’s a major market with high expectations, and reactions are reputedly loud and lively. If it coincided with the time when crowds got too big, that could have affected performance quality too. Vince/Bruce, from what little I’ve heard of them, did some things on keys I prefer to some I’ve heard Brent do (no slight intended to Mr. Mydland) – it struck me as a comparatively clean sound (not as laced with gimmicks), that served the music very well.

Because Thursday I was working outside and sweating after getting home from my job, I glanced at the box set announcement (too) quickly. I didn’t read it correctly, because I thought only 1000 sets would be available. Thinking about it later that evening, and the fact that the DaP offerings are now 20,000 quarterly, the number seemed disproportionately small. On that assumption, I hurriedly ordered the blue-ray option Friday morning after dressing post-shower, and only afterward saw that 10,000 total copies (not just 1000) of various types will be available. First (fleeting) sentiment was: I WANT MY MONEY BACK! Yeah that really happened, but the last part was a “what if?” notion I just found funny. I look forward to seeing/hearing this box set.

In peace, gratitude, self-control, and good humor. Have a Grayte day, everyone.

Listen to Glenn Gould's 1955 recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations. Then listen to Rosalyn Tureck's 1999 recording of Bach's Goldberg Variations. Exact same piece note for note. Gould plays it in 40 minutes. Tureck comes in at 90 minutes. Hmmm. How could that be?

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I have virtually no knowledge of classical music, but from the standpoint of reading notes if that is what they are doing every time it would seem Led Ded is correct, however certainly every artist is going to play that note slightly different than the next. For example on a stringed instrument the artist may hit the string/note slightly harder or bend it slightly different, or on a wind instrument, one player might blow it slightly different than the next, and this is where artistic interpretation can come into play. I would expect that maybe this might be more true for some instruments than others. Violin for example would seem to have a lot of wiggle room in note playing from player to player. Again, I’m no authority on this whatsoever so this could be and probably is total bullshit. The other question is, do they always just read the notes?, and if they don’t is it still considered classical? Maybe more folks would get into classical if there was more improvisation. Who says there can’t be?

Also loved the noodling thing...I think that says it all!

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

(among other things of course) was that they shot it in such a way as to make it feel like a small room instead of a huge stadium, which made you feel right there sitting in the movie theater.

Dave says that the sound quality is amazing, and that it got the Plangent treatment. Woo Hoo!
Also that they’re pulling tapes out for consideration for the 2020 Box. Woo Hoo!

He also commented “apparently I get distracted easily” (when recording chats). Funny. That would indicate that he probably does read the commentary on these boards.

This Box is limited to 10,000 copies. They probably have a pretty good idea what demand will be.

4-6-89

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

I noticed that as well Marye....I wonder if the blue ray will be the same? I would expect so...but I don’t remember seeing any big shots of Giant Stadium and/or crowd. That being said I was distracted by my own dancing and did not absorb the whole thing visually...figure I’ll have more time for that when the Blu Ray comes out. I will say that my theatre was full but mostly people leaned back in recliners. I might go the local draft house next year if they show it again. I thought AMC could have done a better job. I think the Lion King was louder last week when I saw it.

If you can get your hands on a soundboard of The Dead's performance from 9/19/2003 at Shoreline (the lineup with Joan Osborne and Jimmy Herring), the "Days Between" on that one might just change your life. It's a long one (17:26), but well worth a full listen. Joan's vocals are splendidly emotive, and Herring interprets the lead part perfectly, including a single, climactic note that chills me every time. You'll know it when you hear it, just have a Kleenex handy. That whole show is wonderful.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

can we get rid of this term it sounds derogatory. we are deadheads just like everyone else.

ps. bet I can spin circles around ya

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

12 years 7 months

Had a great time w/a friend on Thurs. night and remember this 6-17 show well. We missed the beginning of Eyes 3 decades ago, and in my high state I panicked and thought we had missed the WHOLE 1st set for a moment walking in there, all those years ago. I remember saying "Holy crap, what time was showtime? What time is it now? What time was showtime?!", so convinced I was they wouldn't be doing Eyes in the 1st set. After calming down, had a great time. This time, in the theater, I saw it from beginning to end. My only beef was-they completely cut out the LOOONG buildup at the beginning of the 2nd set before Saint of Circumstance, where they were just winding the audience up for 2, 3 minutes before they started. It almost sounded like they were really going to start the second set with a Dark Star, ala 10-16-89 at the Byrne, but sharp ears knew it was more likely Saint. I don't know why they had that missing from the movie in the theater. Hope the 6-17 DVD has it. If you go to watch it on youtube you can see it on anyone's upload of this second set.

Edit: OK, interestingly enough, youtube has removed one complete show of 6-17 by one Kevin Tobin, just since Thurs. night, because we listened to it online after getting home from the movie. His upload of 6-16 is still in there. It says removed due to a WMG music claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hewDEWhZpLM

But there is a new, authorized upload of the Saint 2nd set opener, and listen to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOCPrg6lDbM

Now, if you listen to the 6-17 2nd set opener at archive.org, listen to how much was cut out!
https://archive.org/details/gd91-06-17.sbd.gardner.3591.sbeok.shnf/gd19…

Track 9, which they label as a "Dark Star" is 2:30, before they start the Saint.

Please tell me, the DVD that comes with the box will have this in there, Lemieux! I'm sure the CDs do, but don't know why the movie on Thursday didn't.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

Content gone as well..

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

8 years 5 months

Thanks for the tip Bolo, it is an excellent version - though not many I don't enjoy (I have come to really like Bobby singing it the last few years). Anyone should be able to listen to that version on youtube searching "The Dead - Days Between - Shoreline Amphitheatre - 9/19/03".

I ordered this box and am sure I will enjoy it. I doubt it will get huge replay, simply due to the total number of shows I have now. But I can say that about anything they would release at this point, and I am still likely to buy them all, if only for a listen to each every year or two. I only listen to about two shows a week on average, and with hundreds of shows, well, it is a good thing vs. the alternative of 20 years ago. Not sure how anybody has so much time that they can carp about what is released at this point, but to each their own.

58 years old. First show Cap Center, Thanksgiving 1978.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Completely disappointed in this latest box set release!! WTF Dave, are we only going to release stuff from the 80's and 90's that you've been too???? How about a Deer Creek box set that include 89, 90, & 91. Where the hell is ALPINE VALLEY????? I'm tired of nothing but crap stadium shows from '87, '89, '90 and '91 being released. How about a box set that includes Cal Expo and Shoreline '91. Damn good run of six shows with ONLY ONE REPEAT!!!! Have you ever heard of the Greek Theatre???? Kaiser??? My guess is the next box set from the summer of '91 or '92 will have to be Chicago, heaven forbid we don't get something from Soldier Field. Bah. Let's get back to the sheds me boy-o and shelve these blasted stadium shows.

user picture

Member for

10 years 3 months

In reply to by fourwindsblow

FourWinds, was using it mainly because of the irony of the box not containing one version of the song that gave the term its genesis and enabled the exponential growth, but also because it's touched upon by Dave in the video, and even Spacebrother said he embraces the term even as somebody who saw them before the explosion. Just joking around. You'd think I praised Brent or something. ;)

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

PMs sent re: My YouTube channel

Anyone else interested please feel free to let me know. :-)

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by alvarhanso

....one would think liking Touch Of Grey is like wearing a scarlet letter or something.

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

We are just wasting our time complaining about this box. Buy one listen to it you just might like it.

So much time to make up...

ps. I've spent thousands of hours to get where i am in the music. If I'm a touchhead so be it, but i am so much more than that.

Edit: It's prolly more like tens of thousands.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 8 months

8/26/88, 48
Sixteen at the time. Went with:

my girlfriend, Ann – sorta into the Dead
her parents – big dead heads, at least it seemed so at the time
me: favorite band was Dead Kennedys

I was not impressed with the show or the one we went to two days later in Eugene. I did find the conversations the parents had regarding songs, how they played, and nuances. This turned me on to a new way of thinking about music, besides fast and aggressive.

I owe a lot to Doyle, Ann’s dad. I don’t think Doyle was his given name, but that is what he responded to. When we got back home Doyle gave me a couple shows on cassette to listen to stating this will change my attitude about the Dead (Grateful, not Kennedys). Doyle also introduced me to Miles Davis, Frank Zappa and the Kinks. I still listen to and appreciate all the music. Thanks Doyle!

Ps Ann and I parted ways about 6 months later.

user picture

Member for

13 years 5 months

Thank you Bolo for that tip. That version is sweet and I heard the note you pointed out. I'll be checking out the whole show. I'm really a sucker for any Dead tune performed with a female singer. I found that out after 3 years of attending the Ventura Skull & Roses fest. My favorite Dead tribute bands always had a female singer. Well, Joan is great anyways. Thanks again!

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

...thank you for the birthday wishes everyone, I’m very grateful for all the love from this dead community. I’m proud to be apart of this little place I call home or deadland!
Thank you for that song Deniss, I love it.
Are there any good soundboad quality copies from the two shows I mentioned i attended for my first two shows? On 4/16 & 4/17 -1983 ?
East Rutherford NJ ??? I would love to get some CD copies of those two shows! Does any one know of such matters. I’d gladly pay any shipping cost & blank CDs...🙏❤️😎

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

LMG...I’m sure I have copies of those but not sure if they are soundboards. I can check quality but not sure how I would know if it was a soundboard for sure? I am happy to burn them and send them to you if someone wants to send them to me.

LMG, I have lossless copies of the Miller / Eaton soundboards. Shoot me a PM and I will figure out how to get them to you.

And Happy Birthday!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

Just picked up all (or most) of my vault release from everywhere around the house and put them back where they belong in chronological order in preparation for this release. Exciting stuff!
Happy birthday LMG
these are the days.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html