• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

....THAT'S the sound that perked my ears back in the day. The old news is now the new news.

Interesting article on the above. There have also been articles in British newspapers on ketamine, suggesting that it could be more effective in helping people with depression than the old tried, tired and tested medications.
Certainly, my mental health improved exponentially after my period of taking mushrooms regularly between 1987 and 1993. I didn't take them because I felt I was suffering from depression, but looking back to my behaviour before, during and after, it seems likely I was. Between 1987 and 1993 I met my two main partners and returned to university to get a professional qualification. The second relationship last 10 years and the career 20. Not a lifetime-but long enough!

user picture

Member for

7 years 5 months

In reply to by daverock

5 16 72 Big River soundcheck....Garcia singing lead. Everything sounds better with Jerry on it....why Garcia passed the baton on vocals? He was (is) a humble soul.

Also love Stella Blues from 1972.

Check out 8 21 72 BCT and 11 19 72 Texas.....

Then, to blow out the pipes: DARK STAR 2.13.70 and 4.28.71

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Love My Girl! Was kinda out of pocket yesterday and missed wishing you a very Happy Birthday, but trust you'll be continuing the festivities throughout the weekend.

user picture

Member for

9 years 10 months

Couldn't find the soundboard, but listening to The DEAD's "Days Between" from 9/19/03 via the "OK" AUD on the Archive. Always been a favorite from the latter-day song book, but even more so now. Glad Gollum sparked your recommendation. Now if I could just find that soundboard. . .

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

7 years 2 months

In reply to by JeffSmith

Likewise, could not find the 9/19/03 soundboard. If anyone finds it, please let us know !

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

The email announcing this set has a button to pre-order the high-def flacs. I don't see it on dead.net. I don't buy physical products anymore (except Dave's because there's no downloads). I'm wondering why no high def link on the site. Anyone out there know?

Love the high def flacs. The Northwest "box" sounds AMAZING when played on the big fat stereo.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

16 years 9 months

Dyslexia strikes again. If I actually read the product description, it says flacs will be available on release day. I tend not to read everything because it takes forever. That and the fact that I cooked my coconut when I was young.

user picture

Member for

14 years 4 months

Suppose you could add Chicago, Baltimore, etc. to the list.

"One way or another, this darkness got to give."

That's my choice for today's listening; Bill Graham's intro is so appropriate today.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

So yesterday I drove down to Phoenix (about a three hour drive) for a concert at the Musical Instrument Museum...I arrived in town about 1:30 PM which gave me plenty of time to shop at a few music and book stores...lo and behold I found a used Fillmore West box set for $99!!! Granted the box itself was slightly beat up but everything else is fine...so so so happy...found a ton of other good stuff, pretty much blew my allowance for the next three weeks but das cool...now the Mrs won't be home until tomorrow night from visiting relatives in So Cal so time to blast the tunes...I went to Phoenix to see Peter Asher and Albert Lee... a killer two and a half hour show of great stories and music...when I left the gig a massive thunderstorm was drenching Phoenix and slowed me on my way home...got home about 2:45 AM and was at work by 7:30 AM...yuck...done for the day now, time to scare the neighbors!!! After a nap of course...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by nappyrags

Brilliant guitarist-possibly the best country player ever to come out of these fair isles. I saw both him and Peter Asher, together with James Burton about three years ago supporting Jerry Lee Lewis. I was hoping Albert Lee and James Burton would come out and play with the Killer on a few numbers-but it wasn't to be.

I don't see much in common with the Dead and European Art Music or whatever we're supposed to call Classical music these days either. Phil might argue though, and Seastones does have connections to some Varese and Stockhausen. The only rock artist I can name who is truly fluent in classical music compositional techniques is Zappa. "Make A Jazz Noise Here" being a perfect example.

Nappyrags was my innocent attempt to come up with a user name for a Dylan site i used to frequent ages ago until they shut down...I was going for Napoleon In Rags but was told it was already in use so....I thought it was hilarious when someone from the UK asked me if I knew it was slang for baby diapers (Is this true?) so now you know the rest of the story...

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by nappyrags

He is one of my favourite guitarists, and it was great to see and hear him support Jerry Lee. In fact, I was so impressed I bought a signature James Burton telecaster a few days later. Its a pearl white one-not one of the flamejobs, but it sounds great and plays like a dream. Although I think James Burton must have more fingers than me.

And yes...a nappy is a kind of underpants for babies in the UK.

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by daverock

I saw him touring in The Hot Band in either ‘75 or ‘76 as part of Emmylou Harris’s backing band. Great guitarist. Great show.

user picture

Member for

11 years 2 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

Guess it fits as most of my friends will tell ya I'm fulla crap most of the time...

user picture

Member for

14 years 7 months

In reply to by Colin Gould

I saw Albert Lee with Emmylou's Hot Band at the Olympia in Paris, right after Burton left in 1977; caught James Burton with Jerry Lee at the Circle Star in San Carlos in 1984 or 85, excellent show; JLL also had Bob Moore on bass and Buddy Harman on drums, both of them Nashville studio A veterans.... I think Hank Ballard opened the show; incidentally, He wrote and recorded the original Tore Up Over You.
Another of my favorite Country guitar slingers is Roy Nichols; he played with the Maddox Bros. and Rose, and was with Merle Haggard's Strangers for the rest of his life. Yes...and Don Rich was awesome too!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Ordered one Giants Stadium boxset. They have charged me for two. I have tried to contact Dead.net and Warner's. Deadnet says you have to deal with Warners. No response.

user picture

Member for

5 years 11 months

Heads up UK heads , you can pre order the one off show 3cd set on amazon for £22 quid . ( cheaper than dead.net and no potential postal issues ) Probably best avoid dead.net for the time being . Unless of course you absolutely have to have the box set . 😺

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

So, I unfortunately have only had a chance to read all these posts within the last 14 hours. There are so many things to say, but I feel brevity is best here. I will never allow someone else's "opinion" to upset me. People who need to validate themselves by insinuating that their likes are more "valid" than others' are simply suffering from an ego imbalance that is likely from long ago. I guess the young folks call them "trolls" now. I was told about 20 years ago, "Other peoples opinions of me are none of my business". That has served me well.
As far as the box, I will be happy to buy the single show option, grateful to save a little money.
Regarding Dave's 31, on second listen, I like it better than first. I also really like the 3 "bonus" tracks. I'm surprised no one has talked about the Cosmic Charlie tease at the end of Truckin'. One of my favorite moments of the show.

P.S. I realize that brevity played no part of this post!! 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

9 years 1 month

Doe not seem like a lot of excitement for the box. The number will be 10,000. It reminds me of Spring 90 too. I bought it but was unhappy with the release. It turned out to be a real sleeper the best sound of the boxes so far. The UJB on rolling stone .com sounds better. I think people will be happy with this one. The box last year was a bit of a disappointment. My two favorite years but not the greatest shows. Did Dave leave the door open for maybe another release this year. Did he now say there are things still to come this year. Release 8-1-73 and 2-9-73 . They both outclass Rfk and watkins glenn in my opinion

user picture

Member for

5 years 9 months

In reply to by mcwings

Hey, I've noticed that I often have multiple items in my cart. If I add something, close out without purchasing and then later go back to purchase it, the original and newly added items are both there. I've always noticed before I've finalized my purchase, but thinking this may have happened to you.

Good luck!

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by perithecat

Thanks for the tip. That's what I will be doing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

I really like as a deadhead when you stumble on something you have never seen or heard before!!! (Like the 78 July Soundboards)... You even get to see Keith singing!!!! ANyone have any color on this... was anyone there?? So clear to see also... Keith is amazing on the piano... I am a Donna fan and her voice is amazing especially on Stir it UP... Heard about the show before but never saw or heard it... Thanks Bob t

Where are they performing, the Bat Cave?

My basement seems bigger..

I have to wonder.. because I know what JGB used to cost and how small this place looks. How could they afford to carry band around the country playing in places this small?

On my first listen, just getting to the second song, After Midnight. I wonder who the apparently buzzed biker looking dude is that took over the mike asking for country songs or something?? The look on Keith's face is priceless.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

In reply to by JimInMD

I should read posts completely before posting.
I got all excited 'cause I thought he was talking about Jerry and Merl from 9-5-73 on the S.S. Bay Belle. Also in N.Y. City Harbor for a Hells Angels party. Billy the Drummer on the kit. Also, supposedly the first appearance of The Wolf.
I guess the Angels liked to party on boats...?

I don't fart...I'm a robot. A Harley robot. A knucklehead. I "exhaust".
;O)

user picture

Member for

15 years 6 months

now that things have settled down a bit here, I will comment on this box. I will not order it. I have enough Dead. I won't go to the site. I will not order it. I can't not order it. I have not heard 3 of these 5 shows. I will not order it. I went to the site. I will not order it. I can't not order it, I must have all dead releases. Why am I so addicted to this band? I can not not order it, I must order. I will wait for the reviews and then order, I can not not order, I am a sucker for the dead. Why can't I only order the video? I won't order this box. I ordered the box, why can't I just say no? It's like a drug, I am addicted. I need help. Can I cancel my order? No, don't cancel my order. Will it be a good box with non skipping cd's? Will I be happy? Will the sun shine on my backdoor someday? It's all too much, I must get away from here. I must order. I will wait. Damn it, why is this such a hard decision? It's just a box, why am I so addicted to this band? Someone help me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

You made the right choice. :-)

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by unkle sam

There's also the 4 cd Complete Potatoland set to consider now, too.

user picture

Member for

5 years 2 months

Unkle I have that same problem sometimes, 😂! But if you can afford it and will listen to it at least 10 times out of the year I’d get it !
Anyone else excited for the new tool album being released at the end of the month? I’m beyond excited for this release! Some fresh Artwork and 7 long songs, about 90 minutes I read somewhere!!!! Hot damn I’m stoked for this one:)!
Spinning darkstar from 6/24/73 this morning, amazing sums it up;)
I’m a huge 70s dead fan, 73-77 is my favorite era but the release of this box set has me listening to that era as of late, 89-91 mainly, really digging on some 91 ! Different beast but I still enjoy it immensely. Plus the technology and recording techniques, I mean for me , someone that loves the dead it’s fun to get some variety and some unexpected twists and turns, I love the 70s and that’s my peak dead but it’s fun to go for the ride through all the eras and see all the transitions, sonically and physically.
That doesn’t mean I support the release of poor performance and shitty quality albums , and I honestly don’t see Dave doing that just giving us a
Pallet with many colors ✌️

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

LMFAO...you need a sponsor...sorry, no help here.....still in denial phase. I don’t have a problem, I can quit anytime...

Captcha got me this time...vehicles...is a bicycle a vehicle?...then they change it to bicycles...very tricky!

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by CaseyJanes

Ha.. you seem to have a problem.

Perhaps you could switch to reading books as a way to cure your addiction.

Might I suggest Dr. Seuss? My favorite is One Box, Two Box, Red and Blue Box.

I am (Unkle)Sam, USam I am. I do not want this 91 Box, I will not buy it even if it rocks.

Would you, could you, from the Fox?

I would not buy a Box from Fox, I would not, could not buy that box.

Would you, could you, from Red Rocks?

I would not buy that Red Rocks Box, I would not, could not from the Rocks.
Not from the Fox, not from Red Rocks, I do not want this box that rocks.

Needs a little work, but it's early yet.

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by JimInMD

"Do you like my hat?"

"I do not like your hat."

"Goodbye!"

"Goodbye!"

(One of my favorite Dr. Seuss exchanges from 'Go Dogs Go'....). This is what 3 kids 5 and under gets 'ya.

As for This box:

It surely rocks! I would buy it from a fox! I would buy Red Rocks! I would buy it even wearing socks!
This box Rocks!

Sixtus

But VGuy, WHAT songs did they play at that training practice? I mean, if they seemed sleepy, they clearly weren't in the correct headspeace and/or not enough mustard on those tunes. I would hope that a crazy live string of improv from say, '68, or some jazzy '73 was played but that seems not to be the case here. Maybe that dude on the Eagles needs a helping hand on his "picks"....steer him here.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

So Sixtus, curious and have been meaning to ask, how you handled the situation with the Dead End sign...recent move and all? Is it hanging in your new garage?

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html