• 1,905 replies
    Anusha
    Default Avatar
    Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • TLE2023
    Default Avatar

Hi!

If anyone is interested in purchasing this box set please let me know. I have one I am looking to sell - never played. Going to post it on eBay but figured I would try here first.

• Lovemygirl

... I first mentioned this when the giants Boxset was released.
    **🙏❤️💀🌹
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/bob-dylan-the-grateful-dead-rehearsal-sess…

*Jack Whatley·
    **July 7, 2020
    *** “Listen back to Bob Dylan and The Grateful Dead’s mammoth 74 track rehearsal session,
    1987!”
    *** https://archive.org/details/gd1987-06-01.sbd-rehearsals.fraser.97489.sh…

• comdata55
    Default Avatar

I missed out on this one, couldn't pull the trigger at the time. Anyone looking to sell their set? If so, please send me a message and we can figure it out.

Thanks!

• taylorvz
    Is anyone looking to…

Hi all,

Is anyone looking to sell or trade their box set? I would love this set and unfortunately was unable to order it at the time it came out. It was up on the website, which got me excited, as I was hoping to purchase it for my birthday. Alas, it is on there but is totally sold out. Let me know. Thanks!

T

• icecrmcnkd

CD’s have unique serial numbers that identify them.
    If someone types in the song names and uploads the info, it becomes available to everyone.
    For that reason, when I import CD’s to my hard drive I do it on a computer that isn’t connected to the internet. I then type in the info in the format I want it in.

• Dennis

If I understand what you mean by metadata. I use cd-ex for all my ripping. There seems to be a "place" where all the cd info is kept. Sometimes I have to enter it all in and I always believe "no one" has sent it in yet. I believe cd-ex has an option to upload it once you type it in, but I never do. Sometimes you can have a choice of which data you want to use because it can give you several label options to choose from. I assume I-tunes has the same sort of data base and until SOMEONE sends the data in, it ain't there. I'm never quite sure what method they use to identify which cd you want to rip. Do cd's have an identifying code sequence in them? Purely based on track number and time of? Unsure. I sure about one thing, the less the cd is known, the greater the chance to track info will not be there. I just sucked in 7 albums of Igor & the Red Elvises,,,, only one had the info available, the rest I typed in. Generally with the Dead stuff at least, you don't have much to type since they can't fit that many songs on one cd. Unlike that bluegrass stuff, where there are 35, 2 minute songs,,,,,, all with titles that contain 37 words and special characters!

• icecrmcnkd

I have not had a problem importing Rhino GD CD’s, other than Road Trips 10/77.
    I do it on a Mac but don’t use iTunes, I use Toast which I have for burning discs.

• deadgroveway
    Default Avatar
    Repeated problems with metadata on box sets.

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Grateful Dead box sets. Every time I try and rip them to my non-iTunes system the data results in an unholy mess. Dave Pick's 33 doesn't make any sense, the Rutherford Box likewise. I am sure others are having similar problems and I have written to Dave to report. He's reporting this up the line as he's not responsible with pressings. I'd love to know what others are doing and whether there is a solution out there?

• headdead
    Default Avatar

I pre-ordered this and got the email that my order was on its way back in the fall. It never showed up and I waited a long time before contacting customer support. We went back and forth for months with me contacting them periodically for an update. They mentioned the warehouse issue and then finally created a new order. I then got the email stating that due to issues I would see a refund in 5-7 business days. The next week the box set was sitting on my driveway. Hopefully those out there who didn't get this get the same surprise. This is the only order I have ever had an issue with.

• icecrmcnkd

Downloads are not included.

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

5 years 11 months

Buckle up as we take a deep dive into Giants Stadium!

What's Inside:

5 Previously Unreleased Complete Giants Stadium Shows On 14 Discs

7/12/87 (24-track masters)

7/9/89  (24-track masters)

7/10/89 (24-track masters)

6/16/91 (48-track masters)

6/17/91 (48-track masters)

Blu-ray/DVD video of the complete 6/17/91 show, mixed in surround sound  Mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios Mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering with Plangent Processes restoration Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 10,000

By 1987, the Grateful Dead had lived many of their nine lives but were about to embark on one not a soul had seen coming. In The Dark, their first studio album in seven years, had spawned a hit (A TOP 10 SINGLE FOR THE GRATEFUL DEAD?!) and "Touch Of Grey" begat a new generation with their fanny packs and their MTV and their undeniable quest to join the party already in progress. And boy, did the Dead let them in! But not without fine-tuning their sonic vibes to meet the new demand.

"The Swamp," as Giants Stadium was affectionately known, along with the grandstands the Dead had been frequenting, would seemingly equate with BIGGER and LOUDER, but the band "remained determined to give equal weight to the more subtle, oblique elements; to the exploratory improvisation and rhythmic complexities; to the fine details of the most heart-rending ballads as well as the weirdest dissonances in the jams."

With GIANTS STADIUM 1987/1989/1991, we retrace this journey from their 1987 breakthrough to their 1989 revelation ("the closest they ever came to sounding like a really polished stadium-level rock act, but the band’s penchant for breaking out of the constraints of song structure and into freewheeling improvisation will remind you just who you’re listening to here") to their transformative return in 1991, aided by elegance of Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby.

GIANTS STADIUM: 1987, 1989, 1991 features five previously unreleased shows that were recorded at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ on: July 12, 1987; July 9 and 10, 1989; and June 16 and 17, 1991. Originally recorded by John Cutler, each show has been mixed from the multitrack master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Bob Weir's TRI Studios in San Rafael, CA, and mastered in HDCD by David Glasser at Airshow Mastering. The first three shows are mixed from 24-track masters. The final two from 1991 are the only Grateful Dead shows ever recorded to 48-track masters. We’re rounding things out with a little visual stimuli -  the entire multi-camera 6/17/91 concert recording on either two DVDs or a single Blu-ray, both with a surround mix by Norman.

Due September 27th, this release is limited to 10,000 individually numbered copies and available exclusively from Dead.net. We highly suggest you grab a copy while you can so you can sit back, relax, and enjoy all the exclusive content we'll be rolling out.

Prefer your boxed set byte-sized? The collection will also be available for HD digital download in FLAC and ALAC, exclusively at dead.net, on release day. You can pre-order it now too.

user picture

Member for

9 years 7 months

In reply to by Charlie3

Thanks for handy posts highlighting shows in TTATS that have been off the radar for me-1982, 1984 and 1987 are now on my to do list.
I agree with ICECRMCNKD that the 1967 show sounds incredible on vinyl-this edition is partly why it has become the stand out show for me in the box, and far and away the one I play most often.

I think someone posted a clip of Billy Strings on here earlier in the year. I have come across him online, anyway, and he is like nothing I have ever heard before. I keep going back to watch video clips of him - incredible guitarist.

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

That was myself, extolling the virtues of Billy Strings on here over the years, since he came up again, I'll post some my favorites again. Its great to see his name finally starting to pop up more on here.

I am going with a large group of people to see him at Brooklyn Bowl this November. 20$ a ticket is too little too pass up for something so special. To say I've become a fan in the last two years is an understatement.

If you like this recommendation, please do yourself a favor and check out, Vulfpeck, Fearless Flyers, and Kruangbin.

But especially TOOL, the only band that's ever been as good as the Dead in my brain, and I dont say that lightly. Totally different but so much in the same vein of the universe its scary. All other bands are just that, bands, but TOOL is f-ing cosmic quality psychedelia to the highest order. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Billy and His Dad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcPKt2-9P7U&app=desktop

Billy and Don Julin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI7eNVlOcu8&app=desktop

Turmoil and Tinfoil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJmzS_Redh8&app=desktop

NPR Logging Road Jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-naDJbKFY&app=desktop

Live at Grand Ole Opry - "Dust in a Baggie"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6CyQftidOw&app=desktop

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

While I have your attention and if you're interested, I'll save some footwork but this is barely the surface of these bands outputs. Sooo much great music out there being made, just gotta poke around.

Kruangbin - Pitchfork Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4xKvHANqjk&t=189s&app=desktop

Kruangbin- Live at KEXP studios
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyWhFB9ijzA&t=963s&app=desktop

Vulfpeck (these guys and their side projects put out constant music of a very high caliber)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAZCUbKvOaY&app=desktop

Vulfpeck and Cory Wong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWBUnr0F3Zo&app=desktop

Fearless Flyers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72_zXigcOrA&app=desktop

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

DW...very interesting that you bring them up. I was just speaking with my cousin about them yesterday. Was there visiting and he asked if I had heard the new TOOL song from the new Album that will be released later this month (August 30th maybe). He played it and explained that the new album would be only 7 songs but 85 minutes long. I said, 85 minutes eh? Sounds like another band I know, the GOGD!

I’ve never really been into Tool much but they were very popular with my group of friends when I was in college. Never really thought of them as Psychadelia (more heavy metal to me) but my cousin brought that up again last night and said the new album is supposed to be more melodic and super jammed out, so maybe I will give it a shot.

The old albums were much to heavy for my taste, so if they are also psychedelic? I could never fight my way through the sound enough to enjoy it. I did see Tool in concert once in the late 90s. What I remember most is Maynard coming out dressed somewhat like the gimp. I didn’t really enjoy the show.....no offense and more power to em, but the “heavy metal” crowd is not my scene. That being said, I love Rage Against The Machine (great concert), and even more so 311, which Inwould consider progressive rock or a mix between hip hop and rock with some occasional heavy overtones, especially in their earlier stuff. I just ordered 311 Grassroots on vinyl which is being repressed for 25th anniversary. 311 Music is also fantastic!

DaveRock...will be interested to hear your take on Tool....

Also Billy Strings sounds like its right up my alley....going to check that out today!

Thanks
KCJ

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Awesome that you are diving in head first with a friend. You are spot on with your first observations about them and GOGD. Ive seen TOOL over 20 times since 1998 and been listening to them from before. They've been psychedelic since the first album and Al Jorgensen (Ministry) apparently dosed them during a 1991 Lollapalooza tour stop. Al was living with Tim Leary in an apartment at the time and would give him liquid to take on tours. Well, Al would put some in Jack Daniel's before every tour stop and would drink it before and during a show, one day he passed the bottle off to the next young man walking on stage, after a congratulatory "great show!". He forget he had dosed the bottle and the rest is history. TOOL while heavy and not your typical "tripping" music, but is more akin to the feeling some might get smoking large amounts of DMT or being blasted apart in fractalized white light at the heart of a galaxy. Heavy? Yes. Psychedelic? Oh most certainly but only for the most intrepid of travelers. I mean Third Eye came out in 1998, and if that's not psychedelic, I quit life. Once anyone starts down the TOOL rabbit hole, listen to the lyrics (they make tongue in cheek references to the GD), understand how they put their music together (Lateralus is nice example), and check out their art ya know it's nothing but from the divine. Maybe not so much the Ken Kesey crowd vibe, more so the Tim Leary vein, but both are cut from the same "cloth." One of their songs that mentions the GD though in a somewhat sarcastic and possibly mocking tone is called "Lost Keys(Blame Hoffman)"->"Rosetta Stoned". Not that they mock the GOGD just the prevalence of "Estimated Prophets" that Bobby has already warned of :)

Anyone who starts collaborating with Alex Grey to start do their artwork has been off the deep end more than once. :)

In case its not obvious I'm obsessed with TOOL, and they are carrying the torch of psychedelic expansion, personal evolution, and disruption of perception of established social norms more than any "band" around right now. And like most hard trips, it's not really acceptable for many, if most jamband music is akin to mushrooms, TOOL is like a shaman mainlining ayahuasca into your cerebral cortex.

It's all finally on streaming platforms after all these years so check it out. Aenema is arguably the single greatest rock album ever made, though that's a hard sell when all their albums are THAT good.

I could make more comments but feel like I've said too much, like someone's first experiences with psychedelics it should develop naturally without too much input from some one else. "Just start climbing that spiral up and out, and watch out for your brother (and sisters)."

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Another great song. Only available on Dick's Picks 30. Unless you get into the Jerry Garcia Band. Donna sounds great. Can't hear Keith.

user picture

Member for

6 years 5 months

Great information as well. I had no idea the bands were linked as such, and would have never thought it, but just goes to show........

Think I will wait for this next one on vinyl....maybe turn it up to 11 after a veggie pizza and see what happens....what could go wrong? I will check out Aenema again as well. This is one reason I hang out here, and truth is I listen to music totally different then I did back then...my GD listening habits probably being the best example of that.

Side note: my cousin told me that the new CD has a miniature chargeable speaker in it and also a USB drive or something similar...sounds gimmicky but might be fun to check out...wonder if the vinyl will have that or something similar?

user picture

Member for

9 years 5 months

In reply to by Vguy72

....Just a Little Light was a great tune IMHO - there are some good ones on the Spring 90 boxes, one of which (I can't recall the exact show) that was played late in the tour was exceptionally good - sort of an extended intro between Jerry and Brent; then when they get into it, there is a pretty spacey/drawn out jam where Jerry sort of goes off on a walk around the block, wah-wah included. I always loved when Jer would fire up the wah-wah pedal and I feel like this tune had some fantastic potential to really open up on that - using the aforementioned example as a reference/starting point.

Had no idea there was a video - MTV's gems uncovered....well done VGuy

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

12 years 11 months

I'm going to see him on Saturday at a festival outside of Baltimore called Hot August Music Fest (formerly Hot August Blues.) On the same bill is JGB with Melvin and the ladies. No idea whose else is playing with them, but it will be nice to see Melvin. A local jam band Pigeons Playing Pingpong is also playing, and while they are not my usual cup of tea, what I've heard sounds like it will be fun :)

I've also had a chance to see Billy at a local brewery here in town, and he is a damn fine musician, (and does a killer Deal!)

Peace

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

Have seen, but forgot about that video, sooooo mtv, love the leather jackets and hairdos ; )
Think that was my favorite Brent tune. Thanks for that Vguy. Can’t remeber if there were more? Rember TOG obviously, and the Bucket video with the duck, this one and???
That back lighting totally reminds me of the first time Lee Esdee and I hung at a show. It was the first time I saw the new vari lights and at a “certain” point where I was convinced I’d died and gone to heaven, Candace had the lights all white behind the band, and being in the front row they were sort of blinding to my aaaaa, “affected” vision, eventually as I could start to focus again I came to the realization that I may have died, but it was alright cause the dead was playing in front of the light at the end of the tunnel 😃

Edit: have only seen videos but yaaassss that Billy Strings does look awesome!

user picture

Member for

7 years 2 months

That new Tool song is fantastic! Rolling Stone has a link to it. I can't believe how great the production is - the percussion alone is among the finest things I've ever heard. Can't wait for the album to drop. \m/

user picture

Member for

16 years 6 months

Yup, that percussion is none other than Danny Carey, the man who had a drum kit made of melted down Paiste drum cymbals, yes you read that right, and one were the drum bodies are made from a sustainably harvested tree that produces the vines used in ayahuasca brews. He is probably the single most amazing drummer I have ever come across and dare I say a step beyond, Moon, Bonham, Mason, Baker, and the Rhythm devils. Not so much better, just picking up where they left off and blasting into f-ing space with it. Literally one of the most humble but intensely interesting people you can find out and talk to, especially in music. Check out his side project Volto! for some nasty jazz fusion where he really gets into some nasty technique. He is also a student of Aloke Dutta and explores numerous different cultures explorations of rhythm and time.

Here is a sample for any others just wondering what all the fuss is about and you get glimpse of his melted cymbal drum kit.

If you enjoy hearing phenomenal musicians explain themselves, their technique, and equipment checkout the first clip in the list, it's a 1of 3 part interview.

Artist spotlight and TOOL from Boston, MA. Part 1 of 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t1lt99CWnA

Lateralus Drums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqftunIOqe0

Random Fake Mustache Drum Solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4WeTxbYeQw

Drum Clinics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh3z__10bhg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwjsGPMIhxc

VOLTO! Grip it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_D_Ds6pWTg

VOLTO! Tocino.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIChFldH6Y0

Sorry for the long posts, but it should be obvious that TOOL makes me too excited, gives me verbal diarrhea, and its embarrassing.

user picture

Member for

6 years 8 months

Not bad, thanks for posting it vguy. I much prefer Brent in a produced studio atmosphere. Blow Away is cool live, but honestly, I can't handle his backing vocals most of the time. He is the reason I won't be buying the box set. His voice sounds strained and lacks harmonic cohesion with the rest of the band on backing vocals. It's not like that on Go To Nassau, which I enjoy. I guess the RnR environment ravaged him quickly.

But like a few others have mentioned, I'm going to go for the '91 single show.

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Late chiming in on this for RobbZ, but if number of plays are any indication it's the 76, 77 and 78 shows for me.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

The SHow that started it all for Vault releases!!! Even have my original, "Make Believe Ballroom" cassette still!!! This show is what got my hooked!! Love the Help>Slipknot>Franklins....... Eyes of the World... Music... Crazy Fingers......Sage and Spirit, and Blues for Allah.... I played side one every day it seemed like in 1985!! bob t

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

1967 is a given, so I'm kind of making it a top four list.

1969 for sure. On the surface it looks like just a two track version of The Fillmore West 69 shows. Why would you go there right? You can just go to Fillmore West 69 and get it in all its multitrack glory x 4.

But it really is a very different and exceptional show. They play the same songs, but they shuffle up the order to get the pacing of the show as good as you can get. and they play them exceptionally well at the Dream Bowl show. I picture myself at the show thinking, yeah, Dupree's Diamond Blues is a fantastic opener for that period, followed by what feels like a coda to Dupree, with Mountains of the Moon. Perfect start to a show.

Then it's Dark Star time. In my mind 1969 has two kinds of Dark Stars - the average kind in the exceptional kind - I find this one to be exceptional (vocal flub and all); then they're right into Crypticals and The Other One (no drum solo, which I always feel kills the momentum).

Death Don't Have No Mercy is perfect - Jerry and TC and Phil just work great together on this, and it's not too long, which the song can sometimes be for me.

Next we're up to Doing That Rag, which to me is the third song and a triplet that includes Dupree and Mountains. This version has a real nice mid-tempo exit Jam that's mellow and all inclusive (even Pig Pen sounds like he's getting some tambourine action in there).

I think it works as a nice change of pace that they have broken up the Dark Star, St. Stephen, Eleven trilogy; they simply pick up with it here. We get a great William Tell section, with extra loud snare drum rolls, and then into The Eleven, which is superb here.

Pig Pen gets his fill and ends the show with LoveLight. It's not a half hour so that's good. It has the doot doot doo section, which is essential for any version of Love Light that I'm going to enjoy ( the only exceptions are 4/26 and 5/7 from the E72 tour).

30 Trips 1969 at the Dream Bowl. High marks IMHO.

We'll have to get back to you on the other two. I just wrote this having breakfast in the McDonald's parking lot. Half hour late for work now. Please somebody tell me by next week that I turned them on to this show.

user picture

Member for

10 years 8 months

You are absolutely correct KEITHFAN. That is one of my most listened to shows of boxzilla. Such a great Bear recording!

user picture

Member for

12 years 5 months

ALL...thanks for sharing your opinion of your fav shows, provides me a road map to attack this beast! ....for the record I'm partial to 75, 77, 84, and 87. Seems I have a lot of work to do as there are 10-12 of these shows I've never heard...specifically the early shows: 67, 68, and 69, which I'm starting with today.....on a side not, the "music only" version of the box is still for sale on this site......uggggghhhhhh.....and I'm interested.

user picture

Member for

9 years

I will add this to the list of shows people have been throwing around because it was an unexpected one for at least me. 3/27/1993. This has been one of my most listened to shows outside of my normal years of 66 - 70

user picture

Member for

16 years 10 months

Maybe I missed it, but i didn't see anyone mention the 1991 show, Sept 10th at MSG. The whole show is with Branford Marsalis. Its my go to 1991 show, at least until this new box hits.

user picture

Member for

16 years 4 months

I am amazed by this Album!!! Mono... Stereo... etc.. CD.... God Only Knows... Wouldn't it Be Nice.. You Still Believe in Me.. Sloop John B.... I have read the influence on the Beatles for Sgt. Peppers, and Paul's favorite song is God Only Knows... But I have to listen every so often just for the Pureness of it... Sorry I think Brian Wilson is amazing... Bob t

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Right on BobT, that album is a gem from start to finish and is proof positive that Brian Wilson is a genius. Songs Pet Sounds and Caroline, no are pure magic, and Hang On To Your Ego on the reissue is another gem. Beach Boys have some great stuff, I think Don't Worry Baby would probably be my favorite single song of theirs, find I play that one loud.

user picture

Member for

12 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

A classic. I just got into about 15 years ago.. I think when one of the reissues came out. Before that it escaped me. I guess some of their previous albums didn't do much for me so I never opened my ears until 'somewhat' recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOMyS78o5YI

Abby Road came to me later too, I have no reason why.

Edit: I saw that Boxer earlier myself. Interesting.. I hear Bob is going to sit in with Steel Pulse at Lockin'. Go get it Bob!

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by JimInMD

https://www.netflix.com/title/81135868?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp
....how do they clean up that video from grainy to 4K? Amazing.
I spun Abbey Road a couple of days ago on it's anniversary. She's So Heavy.
Love Pet Sounds. I recall playing it in the car as I drove the family through Jarbidge Nevada en route to Idaho. Played it twice I believe. Too good to listen to only once.
Dammit. Now I need to listen to the Beach Boys. My wife actually likes the segue. All good.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

I see that there is a series of 50th Anniversary releases of Abbey Road coming out, remixed using the original tapes, sounds kind of like what they did with the remix of Sgt. Peppers for the 50th Anniversary editions. Actually just spun Abbey Road pretty recently. Also been listening to some Flaming Lips that just came out or that I had passed on - The Kings Mouth, The Terror and Oczy Mlody. Dig their sound sometimes, especially Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, a great album from start to finish. Found them when I saw the Polyphonic Spree doing Do You Realize? on a late night TV show at some point and I was like what was that? Saw that Do You Realize? was a Flaming Lips tune and discovered a cool, psychedelic sounding band. I recall a reference to Miles and his buddy listening to some Flaming Lips on their drive to wine country in the book Sideways, a book that made me laugh out loud. But I digress...

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....THE FLAMING LIPS!!!
Good call. Great band. I recall playing The Soft Bulletin while driving to LA. But I also digress.
Oczy Mlody was a recent pleasant surprise. The Terror was scary. Guessing that was the point??

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

Great stuff, dig the albums Handsworth Revolution and Earth Crisis. Same guy that turned me on to the Dead turned me on to the album Earth Crisis back when it came out. Something about that album still reminds me of that time period, maybe '83 or '84. I think Handsworth Revolution is my favorite Steel Pulse album though.

user picture

Member for

8 years 6 months

VGuy, have you checked out the new Flaming Lips album Kings Mouth yet? Kind of a storytime album vibe, with some narration by Mick Jones of the Clash. Delightfully weird stuff with kind of a cool vibe to the whole thing.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by Charlie3

....I can't keep up. Searching now. Wayne Coyne is an underrated genius, but I digress also.
Mick Jones..... I was on a Clash bender a couple of weeks ago. Very cool.

user picture

Member for

16 years 5 months

If you're thinking about it you might as well go for it, tons of great music to be had. I'm a Godchaux era guy but the show that really knocked my socks off was '70. An untitled Soul Sacrifice jam! kick ass show here. The love for the 75 show is well documented. I'm partial to Cobo Hall '76 but not everyone agrees. The '78 show impressed me, as did the '84 show. 9-18-87 speaks for itself and I also loved the Miami '89 show.
If you get it would be great to hear what stands out to you.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

In reply to by rdevil

....lookit all those beautiful people. I was one year old, and shitting my diapers.
Was anyone here, there?
Simply amazing. Chills and thrills actually.
I've also noticed that everyone was so thin. Digressing again. Sorry.

user picture

Member for

7 years 11 months

Get prepared to be amazed by thisyears art production!!!!🙏❤️😎 packaging of this latest box released by the Grateful ! Dead

Watched it last night. It was actually an episode of PBS's American Experience that premiered in the last week, because I DVR'd it, and then saw they put it on Netflix and watched it there before getting to the DVR. Agree with Vguy in amazement of how good that footage looks, but I imagine it's just some of the many thousands of feet of film they had leftover from shooting the documentary in 70mm. I'm glad the film crew got so much of the behind the scenes stuff such as building the stage and the festival goers arriving days before. They skip a ton of acts, but it's more about the experience of the attendees. One of the coolest moments for me was finding out the Hog Farm had their own small stage and it looks like Carlos Santana joined in the jam down there. Highly recommend this doc, though be warned there is no real Dead content other than a bit of Viola Lee at the Human Be In and a Crosby mention, but the band probably wouldn't care as they thought they played terribly. I predict this doc will be one that they show during future pledge drives, PBS knocked it out of the park yet again.

...I also caught that Woodstock doc on PBS, which apparently is now on Netflix. It was awesome as others have pointed out. As noted it gives a great background on the event and really focuses on the logistics of pulling it off. amazing that everyone just rolled with it too. I had the impression it was a total shit show, mud pit for 3 days. That didn't happen until the last night it seems, and even then it didn't seem totally horrible. it gave me a good feeling watching it - and I can totally get how it became what it was in terms of Legend.

Another observation is this: whatever that vibe was, there, back on those days in '69 - the GD have definitely managed to bring that with them, and now it's been handed off to Dead & Co for keeping that scene alive. Just the feeling of being among your brothers and sisters of the same ilk, same purpose, same focus, and just to have a good time. I felt that same feeling watching the documentary, with a sense that I've felt it too in person, for real - at least to some degree with the scene - and this made me happy.

Sixtus

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

In reply to by Vguy72

I like the second comment on that video

Weir has an unfailing ability to look like he might not know where he is.

user picture

Member for

14 years 3 months

In reply to by Sixtus_

I listened to disc one of Jimi's Woodstock performance (best Monday morning EVER!) yesterday. HOT.

thin people: yes. we have become a chunk nation. (I include myself in that description.) Tim's Sea Salt and Vinegar potato chips...ooooohhhh yeah. and the wholiest of wholey foods...pizza.

Abbey Road: I have heard it so many times in my time I have a hard time hearing any tracks from it because...I have heard it so many times.

Flaming Lips: never heard 'em.

I am still not a robot.

but, live erup si noitartsinimda qnvsu eht.

user picture

Member for

11 years 5 months

check pm's

user picture

Member for

9 years 8 months

I never remember to check my PM inbox. Will check it out - I have a feeling I'm going to like it.

Been having a hard time keeping up with the posts. Been buzzy.

user picture

Member for

16 years 9 months

Anybody going tonite? I can't wait! I have this Director's Cut on dvd but there is nothing like seeing it on the big screen in all its glory.

I did not go, but a good friend of mine went and he is actually in the movie! Watch for the scene where they are talking to people by the phone booths. They ask him who he is going to call and he says "My mother". Then they ask him what he is going to say and he says "Hello"!! Lol. He was not TOO high!

Rock on

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html