• 202 replies
    Dead Admin
    Default Avatar
    Welcome to The Eleven(th) year of the Dave's Picks series! The momentum of the series keeps moving forward, and we can truly say there is no end in sight to the series. As we've said before, as long as you keep digging and supporting the series, we'll keep putting them out. Which is to say a huge thank you for keeping the series going! We do what we do because of you, and you keep inspiring us to do our best. And above all, you make it fun! As odd and challenging a year 2021 was, we were able to release five (!) incredible Grateful Dead shows in 2021 through the Dave's Picks series, starting with the magnificent Vol. 37 from 4/15/78, to Nassau on 9/8/73, the Spectrum on 4/26/83, and most recently 7/18/90 AND 7/19/90. Plus a healthy amount of bonus material where it would fit and where appropriate. Oh, and the subscribers' Bonus Disc from 9/7/73 that came with Vol. 38. As great as the four from 2021 were, we're already feeling 2022 will outdo it, and we've only selected Vol. 41 and Vol. 42 so far, as well as a lot of progress toward Vol. 43. But that's all for another time. For now, please know how much your enthusiasm means to us. We get as excited as you do every time a Dave's Picks is released. So thanks for coming along for the ride, and sharing the journey with us. We have a wonderful year of Grateful Dead archival releases ahead, and we can't wait to share it all with you.

David Lemieux
    October 2021

Is there anything better than the Dead automatically showing up at your door four times a year? We think not. We're holding steady with a numbered, limited-edition of 25,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2022 releases. But make no mistake, the best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax because you never know how fast each title will go when we put them up for sale, and there have been plenty of times where we're done in a day.

If you're new here, in addition to the four releases in 2022, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

DETAILS

DAVE’S PICKS 2022 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

- Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
    - Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
    - Free Domestic Shipping
    - Delivered Throughout The Year
    - Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
    - A savings of over $25.00 over purchasing a la carte

Comments

sort by
Recent
Reset
  • Forensicdoceleven
    There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief…

50 years ago today……

December 6, 1971
    Felt Forum, New York City, New York

Set 1: Truckin'-Loser-Mr. Charlie-Jack Straw-China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider-Run Rudolph Run-El Paso-Tennessee Jed-Mexicali Blues-Black Peter-Next Time You See Me-Casey Jones

Set 2: Big Railroad Blues-Me And My Uncle-Ramble On Rose-Playing In The Band-Cryptical Envelopment>drums>The Other One>Me And Bobby McGee>jam>The Other One>jam>Wharf Rat-One More Saturday Night

Encore: Uncle John's Band

Deadicated to GM and JF, because music is essentially built upon primitive memory structures….

Beneath all the madness, a bundle of joy, the Grateful Dead…..

It can be really tough being the show that comes immediately after a classic. While this one isn’t as weird and cosmic as the previous evening, it’s a well played, high quality, enjoyable December show. Not top tier, but still recommended………

One recognizes one's course by discovering the paths that stray from it…..

Rock on!!

Doc
    He who binds to himself a joy
    Does the winged life destroy
    But he who kisses the joy as it flies
    Lives in eternity's sun rise…..

• Forensicdoceleven
    Yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why…..

50 years ago today…..

December 5, 1971

Set 1:Bertha-Beat It On Down The Line-Big Boss Man-Brown-Eyed Women-I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water-Jack Straw-Mr. Charlie-Tennessee Jed-El Paso-Deal-Playing In The Band-Next Time You See Me-Comes A Time-Casey Jones-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Truckin'-Ramble On Rose-It Hurts Me Too-Sugaree-Sugar Magnolia-Dark Star Jam>Me And My Uncle>Dark Star Jam>Sitting On Top Of The World-Me And Bobby McGee-Big Railroad Blues-Mexicali Blues-You Win Again-Not Fade Away>Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away

Encore: Johnny B. Goode

Deadicated to jrpaulson2009, canonico, pauldaley1, pony, b o, dirtrider5, alain, neveralull, ed.head, ords120, djaspen, manofort, zygster, mistercharlie, saintstevie, rockysgraetful, the tailgunner, doctorpat, and punster61, because weirdness accrues….

A new member of the family, a vote for male chauvinism, the youngest old timer, the erudite strong backbone of the organization, a very very youthful, ebullient and a very very dirty softball player, and the godfather of rock and roll play a show for the ages……

Was there something in the water? One of the greatest, weirdest, most loved, and most bootlegged shows of 1971, which has just about everything 1971 Dead that anybody could reasonably expect---equipment problems, rowdy crowd, rock and roll, Pigpen, cowboy songs, soulful Jerry, ethereal Truckin’, Dark Star, fiery Not Fade Away suite. I have probably gone through more versions of this broadcast than any other single Dead show I’ve ever had. If a clean soundboard were to suddenly surface---and circulate!---I could die a happy man. Truly very, very deserving of official release. Please, TPTB, make it so!!!!

Who was Uncle Sal???

Rock on!!

Doc
    This whole world is wild at heart and weird on top…..

• hendrixfreak
    I'd be guessing there's more '69 left than '74

Anyone keeping track of how many '74 shows are known to reside in the Vault, versus how many have been released? I have the feeling there's limited # of '74s left. (Whereas I think I counted 25-30 shows from fall '72 that might fuel a box.)

Again, anyone have a count for '69? I have the impression they played a lot that year and that many shows remain in the Vault?

Probably the actual numbers depend on whether DL and Co think that those show merit release, performance- or sound-wise. But if Dave thought some of this past year's '80s cassettes were good enough to release sound-wise because the performances are there, that should mean that decent tapes from the '60s are also good to go if the performances are hot.

So now I'm leaning towards a '69 show for DP 42, with, yes, '69 material in the bonus disc.

I need more time with my existing collection! It's huge! So many great releases and a hard drive with a shit-ton more, courtesy of you-know-who...

• daverock

For 1974, I would recommend Ally Pally 9/11 - spectacular Eyes.

• Forensicdoceleven

50 years ago today…..

December 4, 1971

Set 1: Truckin'-Sugaree-Mr. Charlie-Beat It On Down The Line-Tennessee Jed-Jack Straw-Run Rudolph Run-You Win Again-Me And Bobby McGee-Comes A Time-El Paso-Smokestack Lightning-Cumberland Blues-One More Saturday Night

Set 2: Ramble On Rose-Me & My Uncle>The Other One>Mexicali Blues>The Other One>Wharf Rat-Casey Jones

Encore: Johnny B Goode

Deadicated to evilyn2003, Mr.Dc, dissident1980, Maine Dave, Across the Rio, cosmicdavid, Lost Dantian Tapes, Dantian's Wei Lu, Heart of Dantian, Sydney Prentice, and Grayteful, because how cruelly sweet are the echoes that start, when memory plays an old tune on the heart…….

The food that feeds us all, the Grateful Dead………

We shouldn’t let the intense cosmic quality of December 5 overwhelm the other shows from this fine run. Here is a solid, well played show that you almost never hear about. The first set is long, well played, and has some nice, slightly oddball tunes like Run Rudolph Run, You Win Again, Comes A Time, and Smokestack Lightning. Equipment difficulties appear to be at a minimum. Admittedly, the second set is short, but does have the quirky, heavily Weirish jam sequence. Maybe not a top tier show, but certainly worth a listen…………

Rock on!!

Doc
    To have no time for philosophy is to be a true philosopher…..

• dissident1980

As Dave's 41 is a companion to Dave's 1, might 42 be a 1974 (like Dave's 2)? Especially given the 71-73 box ...

Then, if one looks at 1974 and what's left, maybe 2/22-23/74, or 9/20-21/74 ... or some combination of late July 74 shows (7/21, 7/25, 7/27)?

• hendrixfreak

I've been drinking too much beer. Oh wait! I meant, about DP 42....

Due to the St Louis box being '71-'73, I'd say DP 42 won't be from those years. But it's gotta be a hot one to gin up subscriptions. So I'm going with either 1969, 1970 or 1974.

Despite Dave L's attempt to water down the flow of good shows with some suspect tapes (good shows, but suspect sound quality) they've got plenty o' good shows in the Vault. The only question is whether I can hang in there long enough to hear 'em.....

• Oroborous

Why stop there!
    How bout a Dane county box!
    Kinda like St Louie or Giants
    Most of the remaining shows from there are all quite good, including 10/25/73!

• estimated-eyes

Doc,

The 2/15/73 show is long overdue for release. If memory serves, that would be tough to fit on 3 discs, so the 2nd release of the year would be perfect with the bonus disc. That show was one of my earlier tapes back in the late 1980s, but I didn't have the full show-- part of the first set on side 1 and then Dark Star-Eyes-China Doll on side 2. That tape got lots of play over the years.

To folks who say that everyone has it-- not in the remastered glorious sound that Mr. Norman is putting out. I just recently reset the shows on my phone for car listening after two years of the same shows on it (long story that I won't bore you all with here). One show was a non-official SBD of the 5/4/77 Palladium show and the sound quality was fine, but not Norman-fine. What he is doing with tapes that come his way is remarkable.

Lastly, Doc, thanks for continuing to share your love of 1971 shows. I love each report you give and you have made me love fall/winter 71 more than I previously had. I used to favor spring, but now see the merit in the Keith and Pigpen shows later in the year.

• Forensicdoceleven
    Lost is a lovely place to find yourself in..........

Test successful. Well done!

Never had a problem with my PMs. Except maybe getting too many, or not enough, especially after I had my stroke.

You think you know me, but I'm not sure that even I know who I am anymore................

Rock on!

Doc
    I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once............

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

2 years 11 months

Welcome to The Eleven(th) year of the Dave's Picks series! The momentum of the series keeps moving forward, and we can truly say there is no end in sight to the series. As we've said before, as long as you keep digging and supporting the series, we'll keep putting them out. Which is to say a huge thank you for keeping the series going! We do what we do because of you, and you keep inspiring us to do our best. And above all, you make it fun! As odd and challenging a year 2021 was, we were able to release five (!) incredible Grateful Dead shows in 2021 through the Dave's Picks series, starting with the magnificent Vol. 37 from 4/15/78, to Nassau on 9/8/73, the Spectrum on 4/26/83, and most recently 7/18/90 AND 7/19/90. Plus a healthy amount of bonus material where it would fit and where appropriate. Oh, and the subscribers' Bonus Disc from 9/7/73 that came with Vol. 38. As great as the four from 2021 were, we're already feeling 2022 will outdo it, and we've only selected Vol. 41 and Vol. 42 so far, as well as a lot of progress toward Vol. 43. But that's all for another time. For now, please know how much your enthusiasm means to us. We get as excited as you do every time a Dave's Picks is released. So thanks for coming along for the ride, and sharing the journey with us. We have a wonderful year of Grateful Dead archival releases ahead, and we can't wait to share it all with you.

David Lemieux
October 2021

Is there anything better than the Dead automatically showing up at your door four times a year? We think not. We're holding steady with a numbered, limited-edition of 25,000 for each of the four Dave's Picks 2022 releases. But make no mistake, the best bet is to subscribe, sit back, and relax because you never know how fast each title will go when we put them up for sale, and there have been plenty of times where we're done in a day.

If you're new here, in addition to the four releases in 2022, totaling 12 CDs, you’ll also get the subscription exclusive bonus disc, which remains one of the most highly sought-after collectables we release, and free domestic shipping. Subscriber bonus discs are not released outside of this offer. Early bird subscribers can nab a sub at $99.98 (regular pricing will be $115.92).

DETAILS

DAVE’S PICKS 2022 SUBSCRIPTION BENEFITS

- Four Limited Edition, Numbered Releases
- Highly Collectible Bonus Disc
- Free Domestic Shipping
- Delivered Throughout The Year
- Early Bird Pricing - $99.98
- A savings of over $25.00 over purchasing a la carte

Dave's Picks #1 on vinyl was announced end of last year with Ltd #s. I think it took a few weeks to sell out, but not shipping until June sometime. Finally get to have my missing Dave's Pick in physical format. Would love to supplement it with the CD version too (for the completionist in me)...

I think today may be last day to buy a subscription. Ever since missing out on DaP1, have subscribed every year since. The early bird special makes it a no brainer of a lovely Christmas present from my daughter every year...

Happy New Year!

user picture
Default Avatar

Member for

6 years 11 months

Has anyone heard if the Dave's Picks Vol. 1 set is still scheduled to ship on the 29th? hopeful but not to optimistic about it.

product sku
Product Magento URL
https://store.dead.net/grateful-dead-dave-s-picks-2022-subscription.html